New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Grey Knights IC

1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Grey Knights IC

Mercy

Mercy nods to the innkeeper, glancing dubiously at the lizardfolk.

Those of us not used to be immersed in water thank you, sir. We should indeed be clearing out.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Smokey

Smokey comes down from the roof, looking dour and gray in the early morning.
    Hearing the end of the innkeepers sentence, he huffs "Oh, that sounds so fun for me."
    Pulling out a chair, he tells Mercy "Ks just returned, whoever has the book should tell the librarian about some were-wolves surrounding base.
    And that we'll need more paint."

To the Innkeeper: "Bread and tea if you would."
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Mercy pulls out the book to transfer the message.

Paint? What for?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Prowl

The lizardfolk grins broadly at Mercy, then winks and shrugs. "I'm done eatin'. I'll scout the area an' return soon." Prowl hops up, leaving a couple of gold pieces on the table, and bounds outside.

He quickly runs around the inn, looking around for any sign of trouble, then heads up the road checking for tracks or signs of any unusual travelers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quick Reconnoiter: free action.
    Listen: (1d20+13)[16]
    Spot: (1d20+13)[25]

Looking for unusual tracks aside from our own:
    Survival: (1d20+15)[22]

I figure about a 20 minute search around the area to feel secure, then head back and hope everyone's finished breakfast.

Was that 5gp each, by the way, for the room and board?
    And did we divvy up the spoils yet? I may have missed that...

ALSO: So I've been sigged, eh, Toli?
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

The area is clear but you can see darkening clouds gathering to the south.

When you return the boy has the horses ready and tethered to the post rail. If you check nothing is missing or out of place, and the horses have been well fed and cared for.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Prowl

Prowl heads inside. "Hey, y'all! Looksss clear, 'sssides tha loomin' ssstormclouds. At leassst it won' be sssteamy, non?" he adds with a grin.

"Me an' tha beasstss're ready whene'er y'all're."
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-04-21 at 12:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Mercy

Mercy pulls out the book to transfer the message.

Paint? What for?
    Smokey

"Why else would they give us a castle if it didn't need work?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.

8. - Top - End - #188

You all leave the inn as the hostler and his wife begin 'battening the hatches' against the winds, as he says. The dark clouds are building in the south and you can see the oncoming shimmer of rain in the air. The wind is light but gusty, also coming from the south.

You all travel swiftly, by mid morning the clouds have spread across the skies. Rains close in on the group, swirling into the small ditch on the side of the road. Mud and puddles form in the road adding grime to the misery of the day. It is a cold, wet and muddy day. Like many a day of combat that you have all known it is nothing new or even something that will slow you down, much.

As the day passes you all come to the fork in the road, taking the northern fork, you see that the road here starts to degrade into little more than a muddy overgrown track. Following the track once again up into the foot hills you are able to easily find a nice place to set up camp. Too wet for a fire, unless you make other magical arrangements, dinner is cold. The night pases swiftly, and the following day is clear. You can see the edge of the plateau that the fort rests on in the distance 2 days ride away. The ring of mountains framing the horizon behind it.

Riding and traveling north you have an easy time as there is little to slow you down. A few skittish deer and a few rabbits, are all the life you see.

Sometime late in the afternoon of the second day a dark shadow passes over the group, a huge eagle passing over head. Each of you can see that the beast is easily the size of a house. It does not seem to be hostile.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Firefly

filefly keeps riding his horse, not willing to anger the big critter ...
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

10. - Top - End - #190

As the Roc passes overhead you see it descend swiftly, picking up a deer and carrying it off back into the mountains.

The day carries on and evening falls. As the moon rises you begin to hear the howls of wolves in the distance, coming from the northern heights. As you all set up camp you nerves are on edge. The clouds move in sometime after dusk and begin darkening the sky even more.

The howling intensifies. You can identify several, tens maybe different voives within the cacophony of noise.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Prowl

The lizardfolk keeps his back to the fire and eyes on the edge of the campsite.

"Y'sssed dere'd be ware-wolves, non Sssmokey?" he asks quietly over his shoulder as he takes a silver-tipped arrow from his quiver.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Miss Murder

"Hell of a piece of real estate this is," Miss Murder mutters as she unslings her mace. A bow would be better for frightening away real wolves, but real wolves wouldn't be a problem for them anyway. The roc might be trouble, if it took a fancy to one of the horses, but there wasn't much they could do about it, and the Knights could fend it off if it was hungrier than it had been today.

Werewolves were a bigger problem. "Let's get the horses over here. Wolves'll hamstring them or spook them into running, and we don't have any to spare."
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Huddling in the small tent, her cloak wrapped around her, Mercy pulls out the book and writes off a message to Librarian:

"Spent last night at roadside inn dedicated to Fharlanghn. Clean, safe. Strange dreams of the Knights.

Made it past the fork by lunch, and are several hours north. No trouble on the ground. Sited a hunting roc, but it kept its distance.

Smokey's elemental scout reports wolves and werewolves at the fort. Still easy two days' travel. Maybe very close.

Prowl wishes he had paint, so we can have the fort prettied up for you slowpokes' arrival."

Her report concluded, she carefully wraps and packs the book away, and circles the camp, staring up at the moon. She nods at Miss Murder's suggestion, and goes to assist with securing the horses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Any sense of how close the wolves are? And in what phase is the moon?

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Firefly

When the horses are put together, Firefly says
    actually, keeping the horses save isn't so much of a problem. watch and observe:

he rolls up his sleaves ... clears his throught ... rolls up his left sleave again as it rolled down ... stretches out his small hands ... and then ...

slowly a wall of stone arrises from the earth engulfing the horses in a stable without doors, but with a few small windows (high enough so that you can't see the horses)
    Spoiler
    Show
    psionic fabricate. using the ground to make (perhaps inferiour) stone.
    a box of about 1 ft thickness surrounding the horses. At one location ... lets say the center of the wall at the side of the camp a 'void' is present in the wall, creating 2 1-inch walls instead of a full foot (but this is not visible from the outside ...

Code:
    XXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXX wall
    XXXXXXXXXXXX
    X          X
    X          X
    X          X
    X          X
    X          X
    X          X
    X          X
    X          X
    X          X
    X          X
    X          X
    X          X
    XXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXX
    main purpose: a secret way for us to enter without the need to back through a complete 12 inches of stone ...
    Last edited by qube; 2008-04-22 at 01:54 AM.

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries

15. - Top - End - #195

As the night progresses the baying of hounds grows louder. They are approaching. The darkening sky worsens, more clouds are coming in. The winds begin to grow stronger. Seems a storm is coming on.

With the feeling of a bucket of water hitting you the rains begin. Driving rain, coming down in visible sheets.

With the rumble of thunder and the flashes of lightning, an unearthly piercing howl penetrates your souls. Many other howls, echo it, from around the camp.

--Status Effects---
    Please roll initiate if you have not already.
    Please roll 4x Will saves if you have not already.

The ground is muddy, consider it rough terrain, or make a DC 10 Balance check to move full movement.

Visibility is reduced to 60 feet due to the rain. Anything beyond 20 feet is considered to have partial concealment.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

The strong, silent warrior endures the rain as he has endured many rains in the past--stoically and with no complaining. He learned many years ago that it wouldn't do any good, it didn't make the rain stop, after all.

He stood his ground just outside the stone building Firefly had erected. The powers of his mind were amazing to behold. He chuckled inwardly. Such a small, frail person commanded such power. Life had a strange sense of humor sometimes.

Spoiler
    Show

initiative - (1d20+2)[4]

Balance - (1d20+2)[3]

Will 1 - (1d20+7)[10]
    Will 2 - (1d20+7)[27]
    Will 3 - (1d20+7)[19]
    Will 4 - (1d20+7)[17]

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Prowl
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 81/81; AC: 24, t 16, ff 19
    Initiative: (1d20+10)[24]

Prowl's tail swishes back and forth, clearly showing his agitation as he readies his bow with the silver arrow nocked.

Spoiler
    Show
    My Balance is +16, d'ya want me to roll?
    Will #1: (1d20+2)[15]
    Will #2: (1d20+2)[10]
    Will #3: (1d20+2)[16]
    Will #4: (1d20+2)[22]
    Crap. Didn't realize my Will saves were so low... Ugh -- Multiclassing (sometimes)!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Thinking it the best place to at least stay clear of the muck, and to have a decent view of the situation - well, "decent" may be overstating things - Mercy sits atop a corner of Firefly's enclosure. Her shoulders hunch against the wet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assume that she got up there after a few tries, or possibly with a boost from WM.

Initiative: (1d20+2)[6]
    Will 1 (1d20+10)[25]
    Will 2 (1d20+10)[22]
    Will 3 (1d20+10)[21]

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Doh. Forgot the fourth will save: (1d20+10)[29]

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Init: (1d20)[4]
    Will 1: (1d20+14)[26]
    Will 2: (1d20+14)[18]
    Will 3: (1d20+14)[32]
    Will 4: (1d20+14)[24]
    Rolls, will come up with fluff when I get back to my books.
    And does anyone here have 5+ ranks in spot?

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

And does anyone here have 5+ ranks in spot?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ayup! Prowl's Listen and Spot're both +13. Search is +16. And he has Low-Light vision.

22. - Top - End - #202

Another flash of lightning illuminates the area, the flash showing the wet bodies of many large and strange wolfen shapes surrounding the camp. They are closing in. Some are sleek, some are large, some are white, they all look intelligent.

Initiative/Status
    Spoiler
    Show

Prowl- 24 -Panicked for (2d4)[3]rounds
    Little Miss Murder - 13 Panicked for (2d4)[6]rounds
    Mercy - 6
    Smokey - 4
    WarMachine - 4 Panicked for (2d4)[4]rounds- prone
    FireFly-2
    Mobs-0

Everyone can act as you see fit.
    If you are panicked-Quoted fro the SRD
    Spoiler
    Show
    FEAR
    Spells, magic items, and certain monsters can affect characters with fear. In most cases, the character makes a Will saving throw to resist this effect, and a failed roll means that the character is shaken, frightened, or panicked.

Shaken: Characters who are shaken take a –2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Frightened: Characters who are frightened are shaken, and in addition they flee from the source of their fear as quickly as they can. They can choose the path of their flight. Other than that stipulation, once they are out of sight (or hearing) of the source of their fear, they can act as they want. However, if the duration of their fear continues, characters can be forced to flee once more if the source of their fear presents itself again. Characters unable to flee can fight (though they are still shaken).

Panicked: Characters who are panicked are shaken, and they run away from the source of their fear as quickly as they can. Other than running away from the source, their path is random. They flee from all other dangers that confront them rather than facing those dangers. Panicked characters cower if they are prevented from fleeing.

Map here -
    or

(OOC-Toli&Gimli- Yes, I stole a page from Lochar.)

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Prowl
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 81/81; AC: 24, t 16, ff 19
    Initiative: [roll0]

EDITED!

Eyes wide, Prowl looks as if he is ready to bolt from the campsite, but steels himself and readies his bow instead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heavens ta Mergatroid! Exit, Stage Left.
    Do I actually have to run, or just double-move?

Yeah! No fleeing!
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-04-24 at 08:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

What the?

Catching sight of the encircling wolves and...wolfish things, Mercy's first concern is for her companions and their uncharacteristic behaviour. Calling on the power of her faith, she tries to remove whatever is making War Machine so afraid.

Smokey! Can you help Prowl and Lil' Miss?

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Break Enchantment on War Machine, which she's hoping will remove the fear effect. By the time Mercy acts, the others are probably well out of her range.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

hate to be the bearer of bad news, especially since i'm the chicken that's running away...but look at the casting time on that spell:

1 minute (equal to 6 rounds)

it could theoretically work, if given the proper time..which we don't have :(

you probably don't have Remove Fear (1st level) or Calm Emotions (2nd level) prayed for, do you? :(

there is also a spell from the Spell Compendium that allows a re-roll on a failed save (2nd level, maybe?) i can't recall the name.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Smokey

"Lliendil, you divine bastard."
    Smokey mutters under his breath as he summons (1d3)[2] air mephets.
    "Everyone, tighten the hells UP!"
    The cleric glowers as the two air mephets flank him, one close to the fleeing Prowl, the other patting the raptorian on the shoulder, before consoling him with a sympathetic "He is, isn't he."

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Summon 4 to get 1d3 air mephets, one of which is at 15 Q, the other at 20 P.
    If y'all can control yourselves long enough to get within 40 ft. of me, I can use Control Winds to buy us some time.
    Last edited by wadledo; 2008-04-23 at 11:43 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Spoiler
    Show
    Doh! Thanks, Mr. Scary. But remember, she's not a priest, she just occasionally acts like one. No praying for spells!

Sorry that I can't help.

REVISED action for Mercy:

The warmage does not rise from the stone structure, but gazes intently into the rain. With a gesture and a few words, she raises an immense wall of flames that stretches across the north side of the camp.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Wall of flame, stretching from C4 to AK 1. If I'm calculating right, this will catch the Yeth hounds (curse you, Greyen!) in E4 and H3, and the yellow wolf 1 at AG2. To them, it does (2d6+13)[22] points of damage.

With the hot side facing north, it also does proximity fire damage to Y3 and Y4, (2d4+3)[8].

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Firefly hp 60, AC 23, pp 113

eeep! the dromite releases as supprized/scared little yell.

- if in mellee, firefly 5ft-steps to a untreated square
    - a gooy substance appears and a umberhulk is formed from it Efly (personal astral construct)
    - a quasi-real membrane surrounds the little dromite (Concealing Amorpha, Greater)

(99 pp left ...)

Efly (hp 68, AC 27, DR 5/magic), the umberhulk astral construct

charges one of the closest enemy around ...
    attack (1d20+15)[32] damage (2d6+10)[19] (crit: (1d20+15)[16]; (2d6+10)[18])

Firefly

seeing his friends flee, firefly moves to the center of the camp (if he hasn't moved already ... and yells
    Get back here! We're Greys! Retreat is not a option!
    Last edited by qube; 2008-04-24 at 04:18 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hefting his hammer, War Machine awaits the approaching enemies. He shakes off the sense of foreboding fear as the strange animals advance.

Spoiler
    Show

if they get close enough, he'll full attack, which i'll roll when needed

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Miss Murder

For whatever reason, Miss Murder turns, bolting away from the fire and into the dark.

Spoiler
    Show
    She'll run to the right, I guess. Away from the fear-inducing howls, I think, and hopefully not too close to many wolves.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!