Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Freedom City Issue #2: Time of Vengeance

"I'm Aesir. It's good to know we're no the only heroes left in this city."

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

Jenny blushes. Well, I don't know about that. I mean, erm, me being a hero or anything. I just promised Johnny Rocket I'd, y'know, watch out for muggers while he's gone. I... well, I don't think I'm ready for anything this big! I mean, she was a villain! I've... I've never fought a villain before. Not me personally, not really, I mean.

Down in the Prison Level ((is it down on the map? I picture the hall as exactly like in Challenge of the super friends (ie: the time machine is next to the coffee machine is next to the force field where they keep the abominable snowman). If we're doing it FC style, though, let's do the FC book map!))

(without going through the whole list, I'm fairly certain we've got the crooks in the Hall's prison, not taken away by the government... yet.)

The blizzard girl is put down next to plague and famine, and the fly-guy. They sneer but don't say anything. Fly-guy's force-field prison has several flies floating around him, and he's twitching his head back and forth in a fly-like fashion, cleaning his mandibles.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Spoiler: DON'T LOOK! IT'S A TRAP!
    Show
    Spoiler: DON'T DO IT!
    Show
    Spoiler: LAST CHANCE TO LOOK AWAY!!!
    Show

Awwwwww, that's just... Well, I did warn you.

3. - Top - End - #513

Quote Originally Posted by fireinthedust View Post
    Jenny blushes. Well, I don't know about that. I mean, erm, me being a hero or anything. I just promised Johnny Rocket I'd, y'know, watch out for muggers while he's gone. I... well, I don't think I'm ready for anything this big! I mean, she was a villain! I've... I've never fought a villain before. Not me personally, not really, I mean.
    "None of us is exactly a veteran - with the possible exception of Apex" replied Soul. [COLOR="rgb(105, 105, 105)"]"None of us is ready for this. Unfortunately, it's not waiting for us to be ready, and as such, we need to stop it before the irreparable happens."[/COLOR]
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

Jenny shrugs Well, then, what do we do? I mean, there's a prison full of villains, the city's covered in disaster, and if what the news is saying about the plagues of Egypt, there's going to be a bunch more bad guys out there raining destruction before this is through. What's the next step? I mean, I'm totally stumped

ooc: read "Don't ask me, I'm just an NPC!"

So, Superfriends, what's your next step?
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

5. - Top - End - #515

"This is all way beyond me. We've got a hall full of magic and super gadgets, is there anything here that can read minds?"

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

((good question. How are you going to answer it? Keep in mind I don't currently have Jarvis the Butler on hand, so how are you going to search?))
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

7. - Top - End - #517

"None of us is exactly a veteran - with the possible exception of Apex"
    "Veteran yes, but I was just a soldier...this is something else entirely..."

"This is all way beyond me. We've got a hall full of magic and super gadgets, is there anything here that can read minds?"
    "Maybe the computer has some sort of database of the equipment we have at our disposal. I'll check it out and run a search." Apex says, heading over to the main control console (we do have one of those, right?). Sitting in front of the monitor, he begins typing, trying to find something that could help them solve this problem.

((do I need to make a computers check?))
    Thog fan 4 life

Helios avatar by The_Architect

8. - Top - End - #518

"You might want to ask Captain Thunder's wife, but I believe we have another lead to investigate", says Soul, as she sits down at one of the computer's terminals, and begins looking for information about the Scarlet Spectre.

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

Mind Reading Devices:

1) Count Nefaria's Deadly Brain-Reader (reads minds, but gives the user a brain tumor)

2) Lady Nocturnia's Dream-o-sphere (allows user to watch the dreams of the subject; however, as Activation-synthesis hypothesis refutes Freud's dream analysis theories (ie: dreams are the mind making sense of random neuron activation while sleeping, thus the strange imagery; rather than Freud's fairly superstitious belief that there's a magical part of the mind trying to solve all our emotional problems for us), the Dream-o-Sphere is something of a failure, other than an opportunity to see how an individual processes stimuli into an "experience").

3) Zolblat's Memory Eater: Alien technology, removes psychic images from the mind of the subject and feeds them to the user; provided invader Zolblat super-alien strength at the cost of years to his victims.

Scarlett Spectre: A number of references come up for the name.
    a) a golden age vigilante who worked in the fens area; very obscure, small time, pretty girl in red with a fedora and a mask.
    b) a comic book called "the phantom lady" about a scarlett spectre-type character, made and sold in FC.
    c) application to the Liberty League filed; turned down by Freedom Eagle (chairman).
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

10. - Top - End - #520

Scarlett Spectre: A number of references come up for the name.
    a) a golden age vigilante who worked in the fens area; very obscure, small time, pretty girl in red with a fedora and a mask.
    b) a comic book called "the phantom lady" about a scarlett spectre-type character, made and sold in FC.
    c) application to the Liberty League filed; turned down by Freedom Eagle (chairman).
    "Our lead would suggest someone who died in 97" said Soul. "I'll keep looking for data. Tempo, please drop by FC's HQ and ask them for any available information concerning the comic book, on the off-chance it might somehow be related to our conundrum. We don't want to risk missing any lead."

11. - Top - End - #521

1) Count Nefaria's Deadly Brain-Reader (reads minds, but gives the user a brain tumor)

2) Lady Nocturnia's Dream-o-sphere (allows user to watch the dreams of the subject; however, as Activation-synthesis hypothesis refutes Freud's dream analysis theories (ie: dreams are the mind making sense of random neuron activation while sleeping, thus the strange imagery; rather than Freud's fairly superstitious belief that there's a magical part of the mind trying to solve all our emotional problems for us), the Dream-o-Sphere is something of a failure, other than an opportunity to see how an individual processes stimuli into an "experience").

3) Zolblat's Memory Eater: Alien technology, removes psychic images from the mind of the subject and feeds them to the user; provided invader Zolblat super-alien strength at the cost of years to his victims.
    Apex grimaces "Yeesh, I don't think any of these are really any option..." Apex leans over and peers at Soul's monitor. "Maybe we could check out the Fens, see if there are any leads there relating to the Scarlett Spectre?"
    Thog fan 4 life

12. - Top - End - #522

"Maybe while Tempo checks out Freedom Comics I could teleport some people to the fens to look for answers. Does the area have a museum or community center that would catalog information on local history?"

13. - Top - End - #523

"We should also try and find out where that plaque came from...maybe a statue or something. Might be a good place to start."
    Thog fan 4 life

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sounds like a plan. I'll see what I can dig up at FC."

As soon as everyone's ready, Tempo zips off at super-speed to Freedom Comics, doubling back to grab his Freedom City guidebook/map.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

Freedom Comics is currently closed. Most offices in the city have shut down, folks returning to their homes to wait out the crisis.

In fact, almost all comic stores and such in general are closed. Now the only place open is a single comic store in a neighbourhood that's otherwise lights out: Millenium Comics.

((do you go in, or report to the others?))

Soul: ((assuming that the info I've given is fairly thorough for now. Anything you want looked for?))

Fens: Searching the Fens randomly won't do much. You guys get there and see some looting. Nothing you guys can't handle (the cops seem a bit overwhelmed with all the crazies).
    Any searching: I could use criteria for types of places in the fens you're trying to see.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

16. - Top - End - #526

Soul: ((assuming that the info I've given is fairly thorough for now. Anything you want looked for?))
    ((Well, Soul is looking for info on both the golden age Scarlet Spectre and the application that was turned down.))

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a short-form application with "denied" stamped on it. It's been scanned into the computer from the paper file. No powers listed, she's one of the "mystery men" types ((ooc: think daredevil without the powers)).
    Freedom Eagle's file is found, listing him as retired, but living in Freedom City.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

18. - Top - End - #528

It's a short-form application with "denied" stamped on it. It's been scanned into the computer from the paper file. No powers listed, she's one of the "mystery men" types ((ooc: think daredevil without the powers)).
    Freedom Eagle's file is found, listing him as retired, but living in Freedom City.
    ((Any way to contact him? If yes, Soul does so immediately.))

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

Soul: Sort of. There's a phone number for a Mr. O'Connor you see, as a go-between to reach him.
    Phoning him up you hear an old man's voice. Hello? Can I help you?
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

20. - Top - End - #530

Soul: Sort of. There's a phone number for a Mr. O'Connor you see, as a go-between to reach him.
    Phoning him up you hear an old man's voice. Hello? Can I help you?
    "Greetings. This is Soul, of the Freedom League speaking. My apologies for the abruptness, but we need to ask Freedom Eagle a few questions ASAP."

21. - Top - End - #531

In the Fens, helping whoever needs it along the way, Apex makes his way to the statue that the plaque would be from, beginning the investigation there.
    Thog fan 4 life

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

Tempo finds it odd that Millennium Comics is still open when the rest of the neighborhood isn't, but doesn't think of it. Still, just to be safe, he gives the rest of the League his location before he heads in.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

Soul: There is silence on the other end of the phone for a minute, then the quality of the voice changes audibly, becoming more firm, fuller. Yes. Yes, just checking the number through. It's not always easy to keep track of Freedom League members. Alright, I think we should meet in person. I'm sending an address to you directly. How soon can you get there? ((an address arrives on the screen))

Tempo: Arriving in the store the door opening pulls a string and rings a little bell. Classic. The store is peaceful, with iron bars over the windows and hero posters plastered over them. Boxes and bins of back issues are an island in the middle, with walls of new issues and trades surrounding. There's even a pair of comfortable sitting chairs at opposite ends of the room. The place is clean, neat, but friendly (ie: not all the issues are sealed with stiff plastic sheets and massive price tags). A portly guy comes from the back, a box of new issues in his arms.
    He looks up at you, stunned. Oh... My gosh! Tempo!

The Fens: You arrive and look around the alley where the frog fight happened. The panel fell off the wall, but there isn't a statue there.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

24. - Top - End - #534

Soul: There is silence on the other end of the phone for a minute, then the quality of the voice changes audibly, becoming more firm, fuller. Yes. Yes, just checking the number through. It's not always easy to keep track of Freedom League members. Alright, I think we should meet in person. I'm sending an address to you directly. How soon can you get there? ((an address arrives on the screen))
    "About fifteen seconds, give or take." said Soul, as she looked up the address on Google Maps.
    ((Assuming there are no problems portalling there))
    About a quarter of a minute later, Soul was at the address. [COLOR="rgb(105, 105, 105)"]"Again, my apologies for the abruptness, but given the crisis the city is facing, I felt time was of the essence."[/COLOR]

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ettin in the Playground

"Uh, hello there, sir. I was wondering if you could help me with something."

Tempo is clearly embarrassed by his apparent celebrity.

26. - Top - End - #536

((I'm going to search any local parks, waterfront, community centers, and other public recreation spots. The kinds of places the city would see fit to plunk down a statue))

27. - Top - End - #537

Hmm...well no statue...but this wall must be part of a building! Apex muses as he checks out what this wall is attached to (hopefully a building).
    Thog fan 4 life

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Apex and Brennus: you search the city, and really there isn't much out there about this Scarlett Spectre lady. Even checking out the Fens, you two don't see statues, or plaques other than the rusted one that fell off the wall.

That is until you get to the neighbourhood where the frogs had driven everyone mad. Checking over the site of that battle, there is a spot on the wall the size of the plaque, with less pollution in it but ringed by the sign's rust.

Tempo: Come in, come in! Please! Wow, *the* Tempo! I used to collect your comic, y'know. I mean, those two issues were great (despite half-assed art and a sub-standard plot)! I have a pen, hope I'm not overwhelming you, but could you sign them? He looks at you, star-struck like a comic fan talking to Shatner himself!

Soul: Eagle-owl's contact tells you the address, but suggests you contact the rest of the Freedom League. I don't like explaining myself twice, and we might as well make this official, you lot being in the League and all. Get the others and bring them where I told you. Give me twenty minutes to get down there. And with that he hangs up the phone.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

29. - Top - End - #539

Soul calls up the rest of the League, ready to teleport everyone to the designated area as soon as everything is ready

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ettin in the Playground

((Before I respond, should my character know I'm in a comic book?))