New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Freedom City Issue #2: Time of Vengeance

"Just tell us where you are and we'll join you. That 'marge frog'...Bestial, or intelligent?"
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Smart enough to say a guy's name...we're at <address> in the Fens." Fireblade mutters over the communicator, looking directly at Mr. Harry Smilac.

"Look, I don't know what's going on here," he says aloud, "And I don't intend to do any more violence until I find out exactly what's going on. Smilac, the frog's pacified. We'll take him back to headquarters for examination and medical treatment, should he prove cooperative."

He looks at the frog, and decides to try his luck. "Will you cooperate if we take you to get you patched up? We'll have to hold you, but..." turning back to Harry Smilac, he continues, "I think you should also come back to headquarters. In protective custody. You seem to have attracted undue attention from these guys, after all."
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-04-24 at 10:40 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

3. - Top - End - #123

Apex walks over to the frog man and extends a hand. "Come on, lets go. We're going to take you back to our base and figure out exactly whats going on here. We won't hurt you as long as you come along peacefully." Apex thinks for a bit, and then adds "Can you say anything else besides "Harries Miles Ack?"
    Thog fan 4 life

Helios avatar by The_Architect

4. - Top - End - #124

"Excuse me, but...What the Hell is going on? Those of us who were in a different part of town during the last few minutes would appreicate an explanation."

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

5. - Top - End - #125

Apex looks behind him to Soul. "We're not too sure whats going on here either. Fireblade and I flew over the Fens here, and it looks like there were riots, the place is a mess. We then came across these two..." Apex indicated the frog-man he's standing over, and Harry, "It looked like the frog man was letting out huge croak noises and was facing off against Harry over there. We thought it was attacking him and gave the frog-man a little blast, thats why froggy seems a little out of it. After that...well a swarm of little frogs went after Harry, which Fireblade took care of. And thats where we are now. How was your day?" Apex finishes, flashing a grin at Soul.
    Thog fan 4 life

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMuldoon View Post
    Apex looks behind him to Soul. "We're not too sure whats going on here either. Fireblade and I flew over the Fens here, and it looks like there were riots, the place is a mess. We then came across these two..." Apex indicated the frog-man he's standing over, and Harry, "It looked like the frog man was letting out huge croak noises and was facing off against Harry over there. We thought it was attacking him and gave the frog-man a little blast, thats why froggy seems a little out of it. After that...well a swarm of little frogs went after Harry, which Fireblade took care of. And thats where we are now. How was your day?" Apex finishes, flashing a grin at Soul.
    Still covered in blood, Soul replies: "Well, I met a sadistic goth girl who seems to have blood-related powers, turned the city's water supply into that very same bodily fluid, and nearly managed to make mine pop out of my body. On the positive side, I got to get her closely acquainted with a lot of sodium. In the river. She disappeared after the fireball - I don't know if that means she's turned to ashes, or just went into hiding. Never did get her name, but she had a flippant attitude, and she could tell I was from the Freedom League...I think she was human, or at least native to human society, whoever she was."
    Yeah, keep talking about the villainess whose butt you kicked instead of the water supply you couldn't protect from her. Brave, brave girl, you.

She then leans in and whispers. "Apex...I know you come from a world much different from ours, but it's sometimes hard to tell how different...So please tell me: Do you know what the Plagues of Egypt were?"

7. - Top - End - #127

"Apex...I know you come from a world much different from ours, but it's sometimes hard to tell how different...So please tell me: Do you know what the Plagues of Egypt were?"
    Apex lowers his voice as well. "Well, I have only learned about your Egypt rather recently, as in my time all nations have been dissolved and united under a banner of a unified Earth, so I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with it. Was it some sort of epidemic of disease?" Apex scratches his head, wondering how this all relates to the current situation.
    Thog fan 4 life

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMuldoon View Post
    Apex lowers his voice as well. "Well, I have only learned about your Egypt rather recently, as in my time all nations have been dissolved and united under a banner of a unified Earth, so I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with it. Was it some sort of epidemic of disease?" Apex scratches his head, wondering how this all relates to the current situation.
    "It's...complicated." There goes the theory that the major religions will survive even in the far future.
    "A long time ago - we're talking a few millenia before this era, back when iron was a cutting edge technology most human nations hadn't mastered yet - what was then Egypt had enslaved a people called the Hebrews. According to legends - well, there are people who believe those legends are in fact the exact truth, but that's a touchy discussion subject for another time - according to legends, the Hebrews were under the protection of an omnipotent cosmic entity; God. God took one of the Hebrews, a man called Moses, and made him his spokesman. Moses went to the Egyptians' supreme leader, called the pharaoh, and demanded that his people be released. Every time the pharaoh refused, God would cause another calamity to happen to Egypt - we call those calamities the Ten Plagues of Egypt. I don't remember their exact order...but the first one was the Nile, Egypt's biggest (well, its only) river, turning into blood. Two others were invasions of immense amounts of frogs and fleas.
    Just like what's been going on here today. Well, almost like it anyway.
    There are seven more plagues to go. In no particular order - I'll have to look that up - there's darkness, crop-eating insects, some kind of skin disease, a disease that kills livestock, heavy hail...And then there's the last plague.
    The death of every firstborn child."

Soul let that last part hang in the air.

9. - Top - End - #129

Apex's face twists in concern for a moment and he remains silent, taking in all this new information in before responding. "So you're saying that chances are we are going to get a lot busier eh? If this is truly what is coming to pass, we're going to have to get to the bottom of it before that whole 'death of the firstborn son' bit. So far though, all of these 'plagues' have been brought on by an individual, you had blood-girl, we had frog-guy and Tempo and Aesir had flea-man. I would think it is reasonable to assume that the other plagues will be brought by their own respective individual. We should check the Freedom League computer for all known people or things that can produce such effects...
    Last edited by SuperMuldoon; 2008-04-24 at 06:13 PM.
    Thog fan 4 life

10. - Top - End - #130

"Could our missing patients be the start of the final plague?"

((I thought it was seven plagues . Maybe if I'd known that 15 years down the line I would look silly in a super hero play by post game I wouldn't have skipped sunday school so much))
    Last edited by Da Beast; 2008-04-24 at 10:38 PM. Reason: I can't grammar to save my own life

11. - Top - End - #131

((I thought it was seven plagues . Maybe if I'd known that 15 years down the line I would look silly in a super hero play by post game I wouldn't have skipped sunday school so much))
    ((Wish I could have skipped Passover more often. An hours-long ceremony at the dinner table before you can finally get to the food can be frustrating.))

"Could our missing patients be the start of the final plague?"
    "I think it's only supposed to target childre - " Soul stops in mid-sentence. "The missing patients. How many were there? I mean, did they number ten? Jenny gave us the list..."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

((Brennus: Yes, that's exactly why skipping Sunday school is bad: its effect on rpgs!!!

Sun: I dunno, I've always wanted to sit in on a passover dinner. the history, the prayer, the chance to share that with friends and family together... I really like Easter Mass, but having something so traditional actually in my house would be cool. I tried something like that in University on campus; it went well, but it was a lot of work.))

Everyone: let's skip to Freedom Hall!

The Frog-man is very afraid of Fireblade, and his side bears a severe burn on his frog-like skin; you notice it's far more severe than even a normal human would have felt, especially considering how easily he was knocked through the wall of the building. Creeping slowly down to the ground and towards the corner, he responds to Apex by carefully taking his hand and saying on word: Tsssfardiiiia

The trip back to Freedom Hall is fast. Mr. Smilac argues that he can take care of himself, that he doesn't know what you're talking about, and that you'll hear from his lawyer on a dozen different issues most of which are ridiculous and unreasonable. However, at the idea of there being other people out there with powers like the frog-man, he goes along quietly.

Once there, they both settle into the Freedom Hall jail cells. Mr. Smilac demands a more comfortable room, tv, drinks, food, a telephone so he can call a lawyer, Soul's phone number and if she'll go out with him, whether or not you guys think you're the real Freedom League or some kind of joke, and demands lots of quasi-reasonable stuff from there.

:)
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Spoiler: DON'T LOOK! IT'S A TRAP!
    Show
    Spoiler: DON'T DO IT!
    Show
    Spoiler: LAST CHANCE TO LOOK AWAY!!!
    Show

Awwwwww, that's just... Well, I did warn you.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

The List of Missing Patients:

Ernest T. Almond II, age 47, Freedom City University Prof; recovering from shock

Bert Gordon, 16, high school student, treated for broken nose.

Albert Hedison, 37, unemployed; hospitalized for severe alcohol poisoning.

Constance Mason, 15, high school student; treated and kept under observation after suicide attempt.

Rey Milland, 17, ward of the state; awaiting transfer into the care of social services.

Virginia North, 78, retired; hospitalized with terminal cancer.

Arnold Quigley, 31, Delphic Industries employee; being treated for meningitis.

Casandra Starling, 19, unemployed; being treated for severe anorexia.

Jerimiah Johns, 55, custodian at the Lincoln Youth Center; broken finger.

Susanna Whiteacre, 19, artist; complained of dizziness.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134

Sun: I dunno, I've always wanted to sit in on a passover dinner. the history, the prayer, the chance to share that with friends and family together... I really like Easter Mass, but having something so traditional actually in my house would be cool. I tried something like that in University on campus; it went well, but it was a lot of work.
    ((My being rabidly anti-religious from the age of eight and onward probably didn't help my enjoyment. ))

Once at the HQ, Soul will:
    1)Look up information on the missing patients - in particular, see if any of them looks like the blood-controlling goth.
    2)Use healing spells on anyone who needs it - group members, Harry, and finally the frog-man.
    3)Explain the "plague" theory to the rest of the team.
    4)Google the Ten Plagues of Egypt.
    5)Attempt to contact any leader figure of the Jewish community she can, and ask if they have any idea what's going on (after explaining the plague thing).
    6)Try to ignore Harry for now.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

((I thought Fireblade missed, and Apex's blaster was what hit him?

The frog dodges the fire blast easily, but upon seeing the flames breaks off its attack and rolls away.
    Apex' blast just strikes him, causing the giant frog to tumble away through a boarded up window.

The old man stumbles to the end of an alleyway, but stops short: several dozen frogs have converged on the alleyway.
    Also, Seder meals are fun. One of the local Methodist Churches had a community one when I was in high school.))

Fireblade makes sure Harry's somewhere comfortable (but observable) and that the Frog is taken care of, then he does some research of his own, namely on "Harry Smilac".

"You know," he comments to Soul, sitting at the next terminal, "You might want to contact other churches too. The plagues are pretty well-known Christian canon, and if Ghostbusters is any indication, high-ranking Catholic clergy are easy to get ahold of."

"Also, did I hear someone say that you turned the city's water supply into blood?"
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Fireblade makes sure Harry's somewhere comfortable (but observable) and that the Frog is taken care of, then he does some research of his own, namely on "Harry Smilac".

"You know," he comments to Soul, sitting at the next terminal, "You might want to contact other churches too. The plagues are pretty well-known Christian canon, and if Ghostbusters is any indication, high-ranking Catholic clergy are easy to get ahold of."

"Also, did I hear someone say that you turned the city's water supply into blood?"
    "No, I failed to stop some Elvira wannabe from doing that. Some blood-controller...She used the blood in my own body to attack me. She disappeared after I got her in a big explosive fireball, but the whole river had turned to blood. I have no idea if she's still alive."
    Last edited by sun_tzu; 2008-04-25 at 12:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

((OOC: Yeah I believe it was my blast that hit the frog, Fireblade only took care of the amphibian swarm ))

Apex busies himself at HQ searching for what "Tsssfardiiiia" could possibly mean. He runs it and many different iterations of it through the computer database, Tsfardia, its far dia, Its fardia, sfardia etc.

Argh what was he trying to say to me! Apex wonders, slamming his fist into the desk next to the keyboard. Apex looks up and apologizes for his sudden outburst. "Sorry...*cough* It's been a long day...I think I'm going to go check on our froggy guest..." He excuses himself and heads to Frog-man's cell.

Apex looks into the cell containing the frog man. "'Tsssfardiiiia'? You said that to me...what does that mean? Is it a warning? Is it who you work for? I know you can talk somewhat... You have to tell me what you know, the safety of the citizens of Freedom City could depend on it!"
    Last edited by SuperMuldoon; 2008-04-25 at 01:46 PM.
    Thog fan 4 life

18. - Top - End - #138

Aesir will make sure that nothing else is destroying the city before porting back to Blackrock to check on the flea man

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

((whoops! yep, that's right. details, details! Bah. Still, the blast burned him terribly))

Aesir: you find no other threats to the city.

Soul: looking up info on the missing patients, you find a picture of the blood-girl; high school photo. You also find a picture of the prof (animal rights activist), and one of them pops up as a failed reporter (the one with significant alcohol in his system).

Apex and Soul: Looking up the ten plagues, you also find the word Tsfardeia HERE

Fireblade: Harry Smilac is listed as the owner of a number of slum-level housing projects. The Freedom Hall computer has access to a lot of city records, and as such you find a number of health code violations and building violations on addresses he owns.
    Last edited by fireinthedust; 2008-04-26 at 09:02 AM.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140

((So what was Lady Blood's real name?))

Soul exposes her findings to the rest of the group.
    "So, ten patients disappear from the hospital after an individual smelling of brimstone speaks to them. They begin reappearing, as supervillains, playing out the Plagues of Egypt. I'll try to check if the records have any clues concerning the 'recruiter'..."

((It's painfully obvious OOC, but I'm not sure how familiar Soul should be with Freedom City's villains IC. Anyway, she'll use both the computer and her knowledge of the arcane to try to put two and two together concerning brimstone guy.
    Knowledge arcane lore - (1d20+20)[29]

Computers - (1d20+11)[16]
    Dunno if those are the right rolls...GM's call.))

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Say...that gives me a couple ideas, Soul."

Fireblade goes to talk to Mr. Smilac!

"Well, Harry," he says, "I've done a little research I think might help with your frog problem. Now, your various misdemeanors are between you and the city, but I have to ask you a question, and I want you to answer honestly. Is there anyone you might have made a particular enemy of among your tenants? Someone who, say, fell ill due to something that could have been resolved through better maintenance? I'm not accusing you of anything, and frankly, I don't care if you've made a few health code violations. I'm a superhero, not a health inspector. I just want to know if anyone might have reason to, say, get superpowers and assault you."
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

ooc: yeah, I know. But I'll let you take a guess as to who it is. I'll tell you if you're right; if you're wrong I'll work with that ;)
    Clue: there's only one magic-related villain who's powerful en... actually, there are several, but I want to see which one Soul prefers. Ditto Fireblade. Consider the PL necessary to actually give people powers.

Also: lady blood is one of the teenage girls, I believe. I don't have ht ebook handy, but she's one of them.

IC:

Mr. Smilac shrugs, straightening his jacket. Huh. I didn't do nothing. Those bums don't deserve what I give them. I thrown out lots of people, so no: I don't know who would go crazy and do this.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Mr. Smilac, I'm not here to enforce municipal codes, but did you ever consider there may be a reason random frog-monsters chose your property to overrun? If you kick people around, they'll find a way to kick you back. Anyway, you can stay here for your protection, or we can drop you back off in the Fens with your tenants. You pick. Right now, I'm going to go take care of the other guy."

With that, Fireblade leaves, and heads toward the frog-man's cell.

"Hey Apex," he says. Turning to the creature: "Sir...you can just nod, you don't have to speak...are you human? Did you live in one of Harry Smilac's properties?"
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144

So that's the identity of our blood-bender. And I'd be surprised if the flea-man and frog-man didn't turn out to be among the disappeared people. As for the power-broker who thought unleashing the Ten Plagues of Egypt on Freedom City was a good idea...
    Still working on the Freedom League's computer, Soul begins examining Mr Infamy's file.

25. - Top - End - #145

((Is Aesir able to get in and talk to the flea man?))

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Aesir: Getting back to Blackrock, you find the warden's office is filled with fleas. There's a window through which a beam of light is cast, and outside it you can hear laser fire and men going "aaaaargh!"

you can also hear a man's frantic voice. Imprison me? Never! Now mankind will learn what the animals, the cats and dogs, feel when mankind has trapped them in cages! But... but now it's *you* who'll be in cages! Yes, that's right! And bitten by huge numbers of fleas... and me!
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147

Aesir lets out a sigh before reaching for his communicator "There seems to be a situation at blackrock. If anyone could make it down here it'd be appreciated"

He then flies out the window and into the prison yard. "ERNEST ALMOND!"

28. - Top - End - #148

Apex nods at Fireblade. "He doesn't seem to be very talkative tonight, you're welcome to try your luck though. Maybe he likes you better than me?"

Apex's communicator goes off:
    "There seems to be a situation at blackrock. If anyone could make it down here it'd be appreciated"
    "Looks like we've got trouble, maybe we need to cut the interrogation short for now." Apex activates his communicator, "Soul, would you be able to make a portal to Aesir's location?"
    Thog fan 4 life

29. - Top - End - #149

"There you go", says Soul as she opens a portal. "Who stays here to watch over froggy?"

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Sounds like Apex volunteered for the fight," Fireblade says, not wanting to deal with fleas getting into an armored jumpsuit. "I can stay here until he answers my question."
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-04-29 at 09:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show