New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Brickwall's Exalted

Huang

Huang looks confused. "Why would someone want to pick a fight with Opulent Star?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vengeful Mantis

Mantis laughs at Huang's question.

"When you're on top, there's always someone who want to pick a fight with you. I may not know much about this area, but that's true anywhere."

He grins, and then shifts his focus to Adamant Flame.

"Don't worry though, Lion is already employed by Opulent Star. I don't think he's looking to pick a fight with the provider of his paycheck. But you say there are other mercenaries in town? It sounds as though our benefactor is worried about fairly serious trouble if that's the case."

"I wonder what has him so concerned."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

"Probably the excavation. I heard there's been a lot of injuries. Maybe they unearthed something they shouldn't have. Tomb lizards, possibly. I don't really care to pry into the man's business. If you want to find out, you should probably head over there yourselves."

Flame heads back to the bar to bus it.

Kitchen

Spoiler
    Show
    There's a silence before she even seems to acknowledge that Shin said something. "I'm not afraid," she says just as softly as before, and still without looking in his direction.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Grinning-Fox Shin

"If you're not afraid, what are you, then? You won't look at me, you won't speak to your father...something is not right, then."

Shin lowers his head carefully, trying to catch Rainbow's eyes.

"Something isn't right, or I wouldn't be here, would I?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

Kitchen

Spoiler
    Show
    Another silence. "Things haven't been right. Not for a long time. Why come now? You're too late."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vengeful Mantis

Mantis grins at Huang and shrugs at Adamant Flame's words.

"I believe he's right Huang. I probably should go take a look at this site, don't you think?"

Mantis takes up his walking stick and rises. He bows to the bartender on his way out, saying, "Thank you for your hospitality, kind sir."

Outside he allows himself to fall into his beggar's persona, slouching in his rags and avoiding eye contact with the people on the street as he makes his way through the town, listening for any bits of information as he seeks the excavation site.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Huang

Huang hesitates for a few moments as Vengeful Mantis leaves, then appears to come to some sort of decision. He dons his traveller's cloak and moves swiftly after the beggar (stopping to leave a few coins for Adamant Flame and his daughter on the table).

"Wait a moment. I wish to investigate as well. Perhaps we should travel together?"

8. - Top - End - #38

Grinning-Fox Shin

"It may be too late,"
    Shin says, feigning acceptance. "But how can we know if you won't explain the problem? I can help, if you'll let me try," he finishes, then laces his fingers together, imploringly.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

Kitchen

Spoiler
    Show
    "She's gone. She's gone and she's never coming back. Dad knows it. Everyone does." At this point, she seems to be working faster, or maybe more furiously. Not that Shin can really tell.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vengeful Mantis

Mantis looks back as Huang bustles out after him, and grins. He stops and waits for the man to catch up to him.

"Ah well." He murmurs softly as Huang draws abreast. "I had hoped to play the role of the beggar and see what rumors drifted my way. No one takes note of a beggar's presence. But..." He looks Huang up and down. "I don't think anyone is going to be taken in by my act with you along."

He shrugs and straightens his posture.

"It matters not, I'd rather be in the company of my new friends, anyway. I am Xan to most, as that is how my parents named me. But since we are going to be friends, you should know that my true name is Vengeful Mantis."

He smiles crookedly, and offers the man his hand.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

When Vengeful Mantis and Huang exit the inn Lion approaches them, having set his men to prepare for the day.
    So, where are you two off to now? If you're going to look for the digging site, i'd come along if you don't mind. I'm getting sick of waiting for this guy to show up...

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vengeful Mantis

Mantis chuckles softly as Stone Dust Lion approaches just as he's offering Huang his hand.

"Ah, Lion! Well, seeing as my cover is apparently blown anyway, I suppose the more, the merrier. I just finished telling Huang that since I have such a promising feeling about all of you, I've decided to let you all call me Vengeful Mantis, it's my true name, you see."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

An honour. Now, i don't suppose any of you know the way to the digging site?
    Lion says, and looks around a bit, as if subcociously hoping to find a sign or something marked "Digging Site".

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vengeful Mantis

Mantis tilts his head to the side, a gesture curiously reminiscent of his namesake.

"You mean to say that Opulent Star hired your company to provide security without informing you the location of that which you are to secure? That seems most inefficient."

"But no matter. In a town as small as this, it can be assumed that everyone knows everything about any occurrences of note. We need only take one of the locals aside and ask for directions!"
    Last edited by GammaPaladin; 2008-03-31 at 01:37 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

Lion shrugs.

Well, i suppose he thought i'd find my way. Now if he tells me it was because "i didn't ask" when we find him, i think i'll have to kick someone. But anyway, let's have a look around town, shall we? You're probably right, someone should know where the site is.

16. - Top - End - #46

Grinning-Fox Shin

"And who is she?"
    Shin asks, careful with the tone of his voice. He didn't want to probe too ferociously, he had to temper his questions with softness.
    Last edited by GryffonDurime; 2008-03-31 at 03:19 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned

Kitchen

Spoiler
    Show
    She finally pauses her work for a moment. "My mother," she says in a very soft voice. She puts down whatever she was washing, and turns to head out of the kitchen, hair still obscuring her face entirely.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Ji Chan-wook

Coming out of the Inn as the discussion turns to the question of the location of the digging site, Ji says "give me just a moment and I can retrieve the location for you." He then raises his left hand up and quietly mumbles something to himself against the back of his hand. A moment later he he looks up as if surprised by something and says, "I mean, I think I remember where it was. We, umm, or at least I overheard someone talking about it earlier. Shin and myself that is." Ji gives a nervous little laugh and tugs on his shirt cuffs to adjust his sleeves. "It is this way I believe," he says, pushing up his glasses.
    I'm not wearing any pants.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

Shooting a bemused look towards Ji Chan-wook Lion walks a few steps in the direction he indicates.
    All right then, let's be off. The sooner the better!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vengeful Mantis

Mantis nods. "Indeed! We should be off. I am intrigued by this excavation, as well as this Opulent Star, and I should like to see both. I certainly have nothing better to do."

21. - Top - End - #51

Grinning Fox Shin

Shin lowers his head, uncertain of his next course of action...his mission certainly meant for him to help the broader swath of this town, and not this one girl. Nonetheless, he resolved to come back later, once he was certain the more immediate problem of Opulent Star was dealt with.

He quickly makes his way out of the Inn, careful to dodge Rainbow's father for fear of betraying what has just happened, and searches the roadways for any sign of Ji.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Ji Chan-wook

Hanging back a few steps while the others head off toward the site, Ji looks repeatedly back over his shoulder as he walks. His brow furrows and he gives a small sigh. With a frown he hurries to catch up with the others, looking back over his shoulder one last time. A huge grin blossoms on his face when he catches sight of Shin, and he begins to half turn so as to wave but he somehow manages to get his feet tangled up and fall heavily onto the cobblestone street. "Oh, Malfeas!" Ji exclaims, holding his left elbow and looking around for his spectacles. "Nice one, Ji, this is sure to impress..." he mutters, with an irritated shake of his head.

23. - Top - End - #53

Grinning-Fox Shin

"Ever the optimist, Ji?"
    Shin asks as he approaches, offering a hand to help his comrade up. He smiles knowingly and looks back towards the inn, then turns in the direction of their new compatriots, already on the horizon of his field of view.

"We should get going,"
    he says, "I don't want to miss what's going to happen next. It'll be even better than the last time Mars took the lead: you remember the riots, right?" he asks, and his smile curves downward, his feigned anticipation fades. "We're going to have our work cut out for us...but so are they, aren't they?"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Banned

Scene 2 - The Excavation

The group of semi-companions walks north of the village, and as they expected, soon come upon the dig site. As they approach, they notice some sort of commotion going on. The guards are not posted, and everyone seems to be gathered around something. That something is screaming bloody murder too, apparently. The crowd is too thick to see anything for now, but at least they safely make their way into the giant pit.

Inside the excavation site, there are tons of cranes, pulleys, and countless shovels and makeshift workshops. Tents and firepits are here too. The workers must camp here. Or rather, the slaves, as you can see countless people chained up, holding poor digging tools, working slowly at one wall. And at the wall is a large gateway, currently closed with a door that defies the word "ornate" to even describe its handles. It's mostly gold, or at least gold-plated, with imagery of celestial bodies and events, mostly the sun. It looks like it took an artisan years to work even a square foot of the metalwork of it. Every figure appears lifelike, though not the right size, and also completely golden. There are old realm inscriptions all over it, and also worked into the art itself. What lies beyond the gate, you cannot tell. The wall must have gone inwards, and none of it has been unearthed yet, though they probably didn't try too hard after the gate was open.

But why stare at the pretty door? There's still some guy screaming like Malfeas itself were gnawing at his groin, and that's got to be more interesting, because everyone is staring or panicking.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vengeful Mantis

Mantis looks about, trying to discern the source of the man's distress.

"I say, that fellow seems to be rather upset, doesn't he? What in Creation do you suppose is going on?"
    Last edited by GammaPaladin; 2008-04-05 at 02:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

Without more than a moments hesitation Lion walks forward, raising his voice to make sure his words are audible.
    All right, what's going on here!?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sanguine Blossoms

A physician leans over the screaming laborer, and his long-fingered hands dance over the edges of his wound.
    His hands are already darkened, and his face is serene, frozen in a mask of concentration.

"His wound is not entirely natural, I believe. It will require considerable resources."
    He smiles ruefully, his lip curling ever-so-slightly, as he turns to those standing nearby.
    "Mine, not yours."

He folds his hands; they unfold a moment later in a suggestion of a lotus pose.
    For a moment's time, there is a suggestion of waving grasses in the earth around his feet, but this, of course, is entirely impossible.
    Last edited by Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick; 2008-04-05 at 03:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vengeful Mantis

Mantis trails along in Stone Dust Lion's wake, never one to pass up an excuse to sate his curiosity. He quickly takes on his practiced air of inconspicuousness, knowing that Lion's presence would distract others from his own, less imposing form, and takes the opportunity to examine the screaming man, as well as the area immediately around him.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Huang

Huang follows the others, but stays clear of the groaning man, preferring to watch from further away. He knew little of treating wounds or illnesses, so he stayed away in case the invisible biting demons infected him as well.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Ji Chan-wook

Ji peers briefly at the wounded man. "That looks uncomfortable..." he whispers with a grimace. Then he begins looking around, trying to determine what might have wounded the poor soul.