New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 3

Hertz

"We should at least move out. The orcs are bound to notice this." Hertz remarked, looking in disgust at the red cloud above their heads.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Nalik

Pleased yet disgusted by the death of un-Elis, Nalik takes a moment. Then he looks at Hengist, Can you lead us to that rocky ground where we lost those other trails yesterday? I want to get away from here, but I don't want to go straight to our cave.

Let me get a health check on everyone please.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Carter swings his flail around a few time and thumps it on the ground to shake off any undead blood and such that might be stuck to it. He then gathers himself up, stows his weapon and prepares to move out.. as soon as someone says which way.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

4. - Top - End - #514

DwarfClericGuy

As you command. Looking at the state of the clearing and grimacing, Hengist leads them out through a path that is least likely to make glaringly obvious sigsn of their passing, keeping to as much firm ground as he can find, and attempting to aviod grown over patches where signs of passage would be obvious, eith the intent of making his way back to the stone crossing before returning to the cave.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

The place with the stony ground is easy for the large man to find, and it is reached without incident. From there, returning to the cave is even simpler, though Hengist makes a brief detour when he spots a choice deer, perfect for dinner.

It is nearing on dusk when the cave is reached, and it doesn't look like anyone has disturbed the place. Oliana finds her note right where she left it, untouched so far as she can tell. She picks it up and stuffs it in her pocket.

6. - Top - End - #516

Deladus

The plant man reverts to his normal self before they make their hike. Upon reaching the cave, he finds the most comfortable spot and lays down. After a few moments of contemplation, he speaks. "Finally got the bastard, didn't we?"

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Carter trudges through the march trying his best to keep up the pace in his heavy battle armor. Once there he also shrugs off his extraneous gear and looks around for some way to help secure the campsite. When Deladus speaks, he responds, "Seem to have. I don't know what happened to him, but hopefully the orcs can't do that to just anyone or we've got a real problem. Imagine an army of orcs like that?"

That out of the way, Carter recovers his trap materials and continues to assemble the trap for whatever time remains till dark and everyone goes to sleep.

Craft - (1d20+9)[25]
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

8. - Top - End - #518

DwarfClericGuy

Having not known the Hel-bound when he was alive, Hengist refrains from comment, busying himself, instead, with dressing the deer he took down and preparing a campfire, being careful not to sneeze on the meat, though his symptoms are much less today.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

9. - Top - End - #519

Planetar

Nalik

I don't think it was the Orcs that resurrected Elis. That level of sophistication is beyond them. I am certain that Astryn is behind this cruel joke. He would know that having that creature inhabit our former comrades body would cause us to have doubt. For myself, I just hope that gentle Elis can finally find peace. May Thor bless his soul.

Nalik will then go around curing the wounds of those who need it.
    Spoiler
    Show

cureSeriousWounds - (3d8+6)[25] Carter
    cureSeriousWounds - (3d8+6)[22] as needed
    cureModerateWounds - (2d8+6)[12] as needed
    cureModerateWounds - (2d8+6)[13] as needed
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Carter smiles at the little commander and says, "Thank you. Thor's got me ready to crush some heads again. What's the plan for tomorrow? Frontal assault on the encampment?"

11. - Top - End - #521

Planetar

Nalik

No. We have alerted Highgate to their existence. We can not take out that entire camp with our small numbers. I was blinded by the presence of Elis in the camp, our path lies a different way. We should rest tonight, for we will be moving out tomorrow. Once it is dark, you can make a fire to cook the deer, just keep it small and put it out when the cooking is done. Carter and Deladus take the first watch; Hertz and Hengist, you will take second; Oliana and I will take the final watch.

After the venison is cooked, Nalik will eat and then go to sleep.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Carter, not quite content to leave it at that asks, "Begging your pardon sir, but we expected a magical delivery of goods from Highgate in the morning. Perhaps if you tell us on what road where our path lay we might request more appropriate tools... rather than tools geared towards orcs."

I had planned to asking for an upgrade of my Flail to be Orc Bane.. but if we are not to face the orcs.. perhaps something more generic... that is unless Nalik knows whom we are to face.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2008-12-20 at 08:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #523

Planetar

Nalik

Somewhat pensive, Nalik responds to Carter.
    I am thinking about my time with the Oracle. I think my question might not have been clear enough. Anyway, when I asked her how i should uphold my duties to defend highgate from current and future dangers, she gabe multiple answers. I am to whipe out this band of orcs, kill Hergilash and Brosskidil then convince the kobolds to join us, fight gnolls, and finally face Graxidezil.

sighs

the problem is, I don't know what order I must do these tasks in. There is no way that our small band could hope to defeat that band of orcs without help. I can only hope that we can seek out the kobolds to helps us in our fight.

pauses, no sigh this time

There is no reason to assume that we will not spend more time fighting orcs. If we do not find these kobolds within a day or 2, we will return to harry this bunch as best we can.

Spoiler
    Show

I am pretty sure that Nalik mentioned the oracle before. I think my question was too open ended, and of course evil Gm D' like any good oracle gave me an answer befitting a poorly framed question.

Personally, I think it wouldn't hurt for you to plan on fighting orcs.
    Last edited by anIceFan; 2008-12-22 at 12:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #524

Hertz

"I think Nalik is right. We should head north and keep the big picture in mind. This encampment is but a fraction of what could come at Highgate and if we stop to harass it for too long, we lose precious time. We have eliminated the fake Ellis. It is time we move on."