New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 3

Hertz

Acknowledging Nalik's orders, Hertz will abandon the tent-destruction and run straight for the supply tent, tumbling past any orc in the way.

2. - Top - End - #62

Deladus

Doing his best to move around any unfriendly orcs, Deladus hustles after the rest of the group, swinging out with his weapon as necessary to speed his progress.

Spoiler
    Show

Apologies, no chance to post over the weekend.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oliana

Oliana nods at Nalik and covers his back.

Spoiler
    Show

zapity zap zap!
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Hengist's headlong sprint for the tent brings him face to face with a man who is every inch as formidable in appearance as himself. He is tall, broad-shouldered, and heavily muscled. His imposing frame is covered well by a suit of blue scaled armor that fits him like it was tailored specifically to him, completed by black boots and black gloves. Sheathed on his left side is a bastard sword, with a pair of daggers on his right. The man, a human, is dashingly handsome with short dark brown hair and dark eyes. He might melt hearts were it not for the decidedly cruel cast to his eyes. He definitely bears a strong resemblance to the Highgate Base Commander.

The man in the blue dragon armor is clearly quite surprised to see Hengist, but that doesn't stop him from reaching for his weapons.

Sarrok chooses to take advantage of Hengist's ploy by slipping around the side of the tent he's currently behind to approach the gear from a different angle.

The rest of the Defenders run to and fro, leap, tumble, hack, slash, zap, and smash. The camp is descending into a more pure form of Chaos, with smoke now pouring out of the supply tent, though there is no other obvious sign of fire, and orcs rushing about. Some of them seem to utterly confused, while others seem more goal-oriented, perhaps with specific duties designated in case of prisoner escape and ensuing disorder.

As Nalik and Oliana start heading back towards their embroiled teammates, a familiar voice calls out from a short distance back. "Interesting choice with the hair, Oliana. I liked it better before."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Carter and Deladus are busy with the whole wreaking thing, so if either of them want to be aware of the impending whatever with Elisathalan, they would have to be lucky about intervening obstacles, not skilled in spotting things, so I'll just give you each a 1 in 20 chance. Roll a natural 20 on a d20 and you can see him. Hertz may have the same 1 in 20 chance of seeing the man in the blue dragon armor about to beat the crap out of Hengist.

All three of you (Carter, Deladus, and Hertz) can roll 1d6+4, and that number times 10 is the number of feet away from the opponent in question you are. Carter and Deladus are not within 30 feet of each other. Hertz cannot see Elisathalan and Carter & Deladus cannot see the blue armor guy.

Nalik and Oliana are 30 feet from Elisathalan.

Hengist need not take even a 5 foot step if he wishes to be so bold as to engage his opponent.

Hertz may also take the 1 in 20 chance to be able to see Sarrok if he wishes to.

All those who would like to engage the blue armor guy or Elisathalan should roll some initiative and gimme a round of action.

5. - Top - End - #65

DwarfClericGuy

Hengist

With a loud, bestial cry that was, most likely, hurd back in the Highgate, Hengist charges at his foe, attempting to shoulder-tackle him back into the side of the tent he vacated.

ODIN!!!!!!!

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming my last several rounds of full-out movement allow me to mack a bullrush as a part of a charge, as I ain't stoppin' for nothin!

BullRush - (1d20+5)[24]

Come on, big money!

Oh, and my AC's at 13, for the "Naked and fighting" thing.

Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

6. - Top - End - #66

Hertz

Though quite far from the tent, Hertz spotted Sarrock sneaking around, and thought it a fair idea. He would still take some time to reach the tent, but if he entered from the opposite side, he could be helpful to the gnome and Hengist. Hopefully the Northerner would last that long...

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, I'm heading for the opposite side of the tent. Than Sarrock's, as far as Hertz can guess. Since I'm 90 feet away, I'll need two rounds anyway.

7. - Top - End - #67

Oliana

The world slows down. Melodramatic music plays. Oliana turns her head toward the familiar voice as havoc is reeked around her. A smile creeps across her face.

"That's funny, 'E.' I liked you much better when you were alive. But times, they are a changin'. Why capture us? Why not kill us? Do you really hate the Orcs you lead that much to allow us to cause all of this? It's not fair to the poor Orcs, 'E.' But I'm not too upset about their deaths, either."

Spoiler
    Show

Init - (1d20+2)[9]
    That was not her action for this round. Wanted to get some of the drama down while I wait for what's behind evil guy number 1.

8. - Top - End - #68

Oliana

"Know what? I don't need an answer. And you're right, this would be far more impressive if I still had my hair."

Oliana begins a chant as she reaches toward her component pouch, pulling out a piece of fur and a finger of amber, she brushes the fur across the rod generating small sparks of engery. A slight breeze picks up under Oliana, a vague scent of ozone drifts away from her and as her chant comes to an end, a dry smile drifts across her face and one last word is spoken, clear and loud she touches the fur from to amber one last time and points the rod towards the creature in Elis's body. The two items vaporize in white light and a massive bolt of lightening leaps from her hands travelling to Elis, through Elis and beyond.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for Double Post. Sorry for Delay. Have to make a new post to roll and sight's been wonky all day.
    Cast Lightning Bolt towards E. Line spell 120' Stop for darn near nothing in this scenario.
    Damage - (5d6)[21]

Do it defensively if there's an Orc within slapping distance.

Gah, should cast Web. Then this. Eh, O is allowed to be impatient too.

9. - Top - End - #69

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik pauses for a moment as he hears the voice of their departed comrade. But he continues on his way. Oliana, he is of no significance, stick with me! He then offers a prayer to Thor for assistance in guarding his team.

Once done, he continues on as before, identifying Deladus as the team member to aid.

Spoiler
    Show

I don't expect Oliana to listen. That was just RP :) Torch him please!

Casting spiritual weapon at the orcs surrounding Deladus (pick one)
    attack - (1d20+9)[20] bab + wis
    damage - (1d8+5)[6]
    I hope I did that right!
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70

Deladus

Deladus fights off the orcs surrounding him, taking whatever moments he has to look for his comrades.

Spoiler
    Show

Ridiculous Spot Check - (1d20)[9]
    Distance Amount - (1d6+4)[6]
    Initiative - (1d20)[2]

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Hengist, Hertz, Sarrok
    Hengist's insane charge sends both men barreling back into the tent. The blue armor guy steps to the side, pulls out both a sword and a dagger in an eyeblink, and proceeds to begin eviscerating the Nord wordlessly. Sarrok runs up to the side of the tent, and Hertz can catch up to him shortly. It looks like the orcs nearby are too concerned with the chaos elsewhere to notice one gnome and one monk skulking about.

Oliana

"If you think that I'm," Elisathalan ducks and rolls away from most of the bolt of lightning that crackles through, "the scariest thing here, then you are sadly mistaken." He points a finger at Oliana, and as he walks forward towards her with a creepy maniacal grin on his face, a thin black line of crackling energy slams into her chest. "I must admit, though, that I was kind of hoping for something like this."

Nalik, Carter, Deladus

The mayhem continues, with orcs now running both towards and away from the sparring Defenders now. Carter manages to knock down a tent, by virtue of sending two halves of an orc flying into it, which lends ear piercing shrieks and screams to the already noisy brawl. Deladus is having less luck in the general fighting category, but both men are making progress towards the gear tent. Nalik's spell seems to reduce the number of orcs willing to enter the fray with Deladus, though he is still bogged down.

12. - Top - End - #72

Planetar

Nalik

Continuing on towards Deladus, Nalik directs the spiritual warhammer to keep attacking the orcs around the human. Once he has reached the fray, he will join in with his natural warhammer.

Spoiler
    Show

spiritualHammerAttack - (1d20+9)[15]
    damage - (1d8+1)[6] This is wrong in my previous post it is +1 per 3 levels
    realHammer - (1d20+6)[10]
    damage - (1d8+4)[5]
    plusElectrical - (1d6)[6]
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Concerned the others may get caught up fighting in the tent and not focus on the important stuff(his gear), Carter makes more of a focused attempt to keep moving. Sure, he keeps giving the orcs some smackdown and slashes tent poles, ropes, etc along the way.

Not having any armor on, Carter continues to act more like a rogue, using his tumbling ability to get out of difficult situations.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

14. - Top - End - #74

Oliana

Oliana flinches at the black bolt. "Don't worry. I never thought you were scary. But I do think you should give that body up; it's not yours."

Oliana takes a step back and begins to cast another spell, this time a maze of webs bursts forth from her fingers encompassing E and folks around him.

Spoiler
    Show

5'step back. Cast Web. Encompass E and any other Orcs she can. 20' radius, avoiding herself and any other defenders if applicable.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Oliana

"Aww. And here I thought it was all about my mind, or maybe my soul. If you just wanted my body, all you had to do was ask."
    Elisathalan is stuck fast in the webs, but he doesn't try to get himself free. Instead, he pulls a small flask out of the gods only know where and drops it at his feet. The webbing in a 5 foot radius around him erupts into flames, licking at his flesh and clothing and hair. He seems to actually enjoy the sensation, though it is clearly harming him, at least a little bit.

The webbing has caught fire, and will clearly continue to burn outward from Elis.

Hengist, Sarrok, Hertz

The man in the blue armor steps back out of the front flap of the tent, flicking blood off of both blades and casually striding away. His path will probably eventually get him to where Elis and Oliana are fighting, if he ends up not changing directions. Sarrok waits just a little bit, listening intently to what is going on inside, then slips under the side of the tent, holding the flap up for Hertz.

The inside of this tent is lavishly appointed with rugs and cushions. It looks like the owner of this space craves comfort and luxury. The wealth displayed is ostentatious. Hertz doesn't need Sarrok's pointing finger to guide his gaze to Hengist lying on the ground, blood rapidly soaking into the rugs.

Nalik, Carter, Deladus

Nalik and Deladus, working together, seem to have attracted some of the more capable orcs. Beefy brutes with greataxes close in and begin deadly sparring with both men as the lesser orcs flee to other duties. Commands can be heard being barked in orcish to "move those women" or "check on that" or "go to the supply tent".

Carter makes slow but steady progress towards the tent where the team's gear is supposed to be.
    Last edited by dauphinous; 2008-04-22 at 12:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Concerned the others may get caught up fighting in the tent and not focus on the important stuff(his gear), Carter makes more of a focused attempt to keep moving. Sure, he keeps giving the orcs some smackdown and slashes tent poles, ropes, etc along the way.

Not having any armor on, Carter continues to act more like a rogue, using his tumbling ability to get out of difficult situations.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

17. - Top - End - #77

Oliana

"Hate to lightening, web and run, but we're trying to make a daring escape here. But fear, not, I'll be back. And then you'll die. Besides, you're not the real problem here--whoever made you is."

He doesn't care about the body. Must be able to switch to another. Better get the guy that did this first.

Oliana moves to follow Nalik, pulling the wand back out. She contemplates zapping Elis one, but changes her mind when she sees Nalik and Deladus surrounded. She gets herself into a place where she can zap them unfettered and takes aim at the toughest looking one.

Spoiler
    Show

Move as fast as she can and still have time for zapping an Orc. I think it's 30'.
    Damage - (2d4+2)[9]

18. - Top - End - #78

Planetar

Nalik

We need to get out of this!
    Nalik will continue to battle to uglies. He will direct the spiritual hammer to attack one, while he attacks another. If there is an opening towards the tent where Hertz, Sarrok, and Hengist are, he will try tell the group to try and move that way.

Spoiler
    Show

spiritualHammerAttack - (1d20+9)[13] 3 more rounds
    damage - (1d8+1)[9]
    realHammer - (1d20+6)[12]
    damage - (1d8+4)[12]
    yeahElectrical - (1d6)[4]
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

Deladus

Slightly panicked, Deladus swings wildly at the orcs, attempting to attack any that appear weak or are giving orders.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry about the posting delay, I've had a rough week.

Feel free to do my rolls for me :)

20. - Top - End - #80

Hertz

Hertz cursed and moved to Hengist's side. "Get the gear. I had potions." He whispered to Sarrock, as he quickly tore part of his clothes off. He needed to stop the bleeding fast, and with any luck, he'd manage to wake the tall man up.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Healcheck - (1d20+9)[12] - If I can take 10 (for 19) instead, I will.
    If the check is successful: HPHealed - (1d6)[3]

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Hengist, Sarrok, Hertz

While Hertz is administering to Hengist as best as he can, Sarrok tears through the gear, tossing a few things aside. He dashes back over with a potion bottle and starts draining it into Hengist's mouth, which seems to be enough to waken the big man.

Nalik, Oliana, Deladus

The class of orc now bearing down on Nalik and Deladus, and now Oliana, is obviously higher than those who arrived immediately. An errant zap from Oliana's wand slams into one of them, but it is not knocked down by the force missiles. Nalik's attacks seem to be ineffective, and Deladus only manages to connect minimally.

The orcs have more luck. They swing their greataxes with some skill, and all have plenty of power to put into it. Blood is flowing freely, and the likelihood of escape seems to be dimming. Elisathalan attempts to follow Oliana, but her webbing slows him down enough that he spends all his time trying to get out of that.

Carter

Carter's acrobatics and determination have brought him within sight of Elisathalan, who is now behind him, though the tent with the gear still lies a fair distance away. He could circle around to attack the bard from behind, probably without him noticing until it is too late, as he is clearly having difficulty with the webbing there, and is intent on something in the opposite direction. Carter could also run flat out and reach where Nalik, Oliana, and Deladus are to join the melee there.

Everyone

A loud, commanding, male voice bellows out, the sound amplified over the area somehow. "Squad one to the supply tent! Squad two to the command tent! Squad three to me! Squad four to evac! Squad five bolster patrols! Squad six gear up! Squad seven to the air!"

22. - Top - End - #82

DwarfClericGuy

Hengist

With a grunt of pain, the Vinlander stands up, shaking his head groggily. He is in the midst of thanking the two for their help when the loud cries split the air.

May all the gods damn it! We have to get out of here. Take all you can carry and run.

Not bothering to take inventory, Hengist begins to gather up the belongings in the tent, stuffing things into packs or improvising bags out of materials at hand as he can.

Spoiler
    Show

Hengist can carry 175 lbs of stuff, and is going to take as much as he can and run like a rabbit. He's seen the advantage of tactical withdrawl.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Seeing Nalik and Deladus bloodied, rushes over to help. He runs full out until close and then, if possible, charges in. His goal is really to get this side battle a bit more even and then move towards the tent to help recover the team's stolen stuff.

Spoiler
    Show

Run
    Charge
    Attack/Cleave/etc
    Tumble
    Attack/Cleave/etc
    Tumble
    Attack/Cleave/etc
    Tumble
    Move towards tent with loot(unless I hear from Hengist/etc that they have everything)

24. - Top - End - #84

Planetar

Nalik

Still trying to find a way out, Nalik directs the spiritual hammer to attack and orc that is on Deladus. He will then try and blast a lightning bolt through as many as he can without hitting his team.

Spoiler
    Show

spiritualHammerAttack - (1d20+9)[17] 2 more rounds
    damage - (1d8+1)[8]
    lightning - (1d20+2)[4]
    damage - (2d6)[9]
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Oliana

Oliana hears the words, and looks around for a place to dash to if more Orcs arrive, but in the mean time she keeps zapping at the Orcs that need taking down.

Spoiler
    Show

Magic Missle from wand the Orc that looks like it will fall first, provided it's still standing and threatening the party.
    Damage - (2d4+2)[5]

26. - Top - End - #86

Hertz

Hertz follows the grab-all-you-can move, although he is being a bit more choosy than Hengist. As he can only carry so much, he makes certain whatever he takes won't hinder his movement too much. He'll exit the tent by the front flap and scan the surroundings to see what the general situation is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hertz can carry up to 38 lb. and stay in light load. He won't exceed if unless it's necessary.
    If Hertz can see that Nalik and Deladus are in trouble, he'll run that way rather than out of the encampment.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Hengist, Sarrok, Hertz

The team's supplies seem to have been lumped all together, and there is well more than the three men can carry on their own. However long everyone was unconscious apparently wasn't long enough for anyone to start going through it all and extracting pieces.

Sarrok yanks on the pants of his leather armor, and shrugs into his own pack, but doesn't take the time to otherwise equip himself. He grabs up two other packs by their straps, the rest of his armor and weapons, and takes himself over to the front flap of the tent to watch for a good time to leave. As soon as he gets there, he peers out carefully, then ducks back in and waits for just a few heartbeats before peering out again. This time, he holds up a hand and waves to Hertz and Hengist to follow. He starts weaving through the tents, intent on the edge of the camp.

All that Hertz and Hengist can tell of the fate of the rest is that there is disturbance in the camp far enough away that the sounds of it are all blurred together and there is nothing to be seen of any of the rest of the team. Five orcs rise up into the air with no obviously visible means of support, and start towards that direction.

The chaos that marked the movements of the camp before the three of them entered the tent is rapidly being reduced. orcs are rushing about, but their movements are much more purposeful and they are moving together, not blindly and randomly.

Everyone else

Carter charges in to break the impasse that seems to have developed between the orcs and the distraction. He is able, with Oliana and Nalik's combined efforts, to create a wedge opening around Deladus that he could use to vacate the area, but these orcs don't seem impressed by the tactics. The ground here is quickly staining with mingled orc and human blood, but it seems now like it is only a matter of time before the Defenders here are in an indefensible position.

To add injury to injury, a volley of arrows is fired into the area, flying up and over the nearby tents to converge on the melee. Orc and Defender are hit alike, but the orcs act like they maybe expected this, and none of them are felled by the 'friendly' fire, despite taking hits.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Having helped the team, and seeing Sarrok exiting the tent without any of Carter's bulky armor, Carter does his best to break free of the distraction team to help haul loot.

29. - Top - End - #89

DwarfClericGuy

Hengist

Unwilling to leave behind the gear, Hengist improvises a dray out of some expensive-looking carpets, filling it with the remaining equipment and dragging it from the tent.

Spoiler
    Show

I picture this kind of like those guys who tow transport trucks with a body harness for fun. Ain't nobody stopin' me now.

Uh oh... I tempted fate...

Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

Hertz

Knowing he wouldn't be much help with carrying large amounts of loot, Hertz picked what he could without reducing his movements and dashed for the disturbance. As he goes by a destroyed tent, he grabs the fabric and - if there is such things - the parts of poles still attached to it.