New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goading Ansom?

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Goading Ansom?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    I don't think it could possibly work that way as long a the units in question are "Coalition members" -- if it did, Charlie would have to be a moron to hire them out to one specific faction within a coalition that was engaged in joint operations. Charlie shows no sign of being a moron.
    Hence it being an argument for Charlie being allied with the coalition.

Of course, even if the Archons were only allies of Jetstone, the presence of Merceneary class units indicates that factions can be Neutrally aligned, and I would assume the auto-attack rule only takes precedence when confronting an enemy. So, at worst, the Archons would be considered Neutral by non-Jetstone coalition members and therefore be safe from auto-attack.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm fairly certain that the whole 'mercenary allied with coalition' issue isn't an issue at all. So far the rules have been specific and game-like, but I really doubt it would go to the point where something completely counter-intuitive could happen due to mechanics. A stack attacking a distantly allied creature because of some obscure rule? I don't see it happening. At worst, the archons are considered neutral and aren't attacked. The auto-attack rule is obviously meant for enemy encounters.

Also, I don't think Parson is showing any incredible sociological knowledge. As we can see from his life before the teleport, he isn't a very social person. He speaks simply, going directly at the point, instead of leading the conversation into the direction he wants; he sort of seems to improvise and let the conversation flow, instead.
    Pratchet's city mayor said once (Guards Guards I think) that to him, conversation was an elaborate game; to Parson it is obviously a simple tool for transmitting information. The idea of bringing Ansom's ideals to the surface is not a social ruse, but fairly simple reasoning. In his parley with Charlie especially I think it was notable how articulately unproficient Parson is. His conversation seems awkward.

I do agree that Vinny's 'oof' is one of frustration of seeing the damage Ansom is doing to himself - but I think that Vinny, that understands the coalition pretty well, is a pretty good indicator and how much damage Parson successfully done. Jillian's face is also especially shocked - I'm not sure she realized just how far Ansom sees the whole royalty thing. All in all, I think Parson's actions were a success - and I don't think he's done yet. Ansom's not the kind to run away from trouble, so he won't abruptly end the conversation until he feels he 'won'. Parson could squeeze a lot more from this fury he stirred up with Ansom to cause him to make more mistakes. Like MuseUnchained said, anger is only the friend of your enemy.

And about Stanley going after Charlie: I don't see it happening. Charlie is powerful enough to spare powerful units for mercenary work. Also, being a thinkamancer, I really doubt he wouldn't have the triple-mancer-linkage-thingy that lets him see everything around him. So a surprise attack is off the table, and if Stanley was powerful enough to fight Charlie, he would've done so earlier (unless he didn't know Charlie had an arkentool, which is plausible).

My take: Stanley is indeed going to Jillian's lost city. He is, after all, not extremely smart or creative (like we witnessed at various points). Overall, it is a pretty good plan, if he doesn't know Ansom knows (I don't think he connected Jillian with that city he destroyed).
    Parson is working to break the coalition in a crucial point soon, in a manner that the inevitable blow they will take at the tunnels will crush morale beyond a breaking point that will disperse the coalition enough for Parson to hold the city (hopefully with Wanda :( ). Thus not creating a new side, but instead serving as a leader on an abandoned city which belongs to Stanley.
    And with the coalition broken, Jillian hating Ansom for his arrogance and joining GK (no Stanley, no conflicts!), and joins Wanda to fight along Parson

A twist I considered thought is that Stanley wasn't the one to destroy Jillian's kingdom, but it was a) someone else with dwagons, or b) someone else with a foolamancer (cloaking as dwagons seems plausible, especially since Jillian only knows what her city saw the day BEFORE it was attacked). Thus Stanley is in fact heading elsewhere and Jillian will return to an empty city. I don't like this one, but Rob spelled out too carefully how Jillian didn't actually know who destroyed her town.

Gee. That one ended up longer than I expected.
    ...and may the grand !MooXooM! above enlighten your path.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gilthans View Post
    Also, I don't think Parson is showing any incredible sociological knowledge. As we can see from his life before the teleport, he isn't a very social person. He speaks simply, going directly at the point, instead of leading the conversation into the direction he wants; he sort of seems to improvise and let the conversation flow, instead.
    Pratchet's city mayor said once (Guards Guards I think) that to him, conversation was an elaborate game; to Parson it is obviously a simple tool for transmitting information. The idea of bringing Ansom's ideals to the surface is not a social ruse, but fairly simple reasoning. In his parley with Charlie especially I think it was notable how articulately unproficient Parson is. His conversation seems awkward.
    I'll grant you that Parson is no sociology professor. Of course his goading of Ansom is a "fairly simple" act (like, schoolyard simple), but his ulterior motive of winning the battle is helped rather cunningly by it. Knowing exactly what to say to p* off Ansom doesn't require much smarts, but knowing how Ansom's reaction will affect the Coalition does. Parson is socially awkward, but when something is connected to strategy, he is a master.

(Also, did you just call Lord Vetinari a mayor?)
    Friends, Azurites, contrymen, lend me your ears.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MuseUnchained View Post
    I believe that Sun Tzu was brought up with the line 'If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him' and in this and his attempts to split the coalition ('if [the opponent's forces are] united, separate them'), Parson is adhering to this to the letter in this turn.

And an interpretation of Sun Tzu (can't remember if it's an actual line), Anger is only friend to your enemy.
    I'm doing this from memory, but Zun Tzu emphasises firstly breaking up the alliances of your enemies, then denying him vital resources... and in fact he STRONGLY discourages attacking walled cities! A well as angering Ansom, Parson is trying to destroy the cohesion of the alliance (probably Ansom's own forces cannot take GK alone) AND goading him to a frontal assault with minimal siege unist. Of course, Parson can probably quote Zun Tzu from his head...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gilthans View Post
    The auto-attack rule is obviously meant for enemy encounters.
    Indeed. But then if you have a set of poorly written rules that are enforced by someone or something that sticks to their letter rather than their spirit, lots of wierd and crazy crap tends to follow. (I'm a computer programmer. I know all about that kind of thing. )

Fortunately, there is no indication that the rules of Erfworld are poorly written. As to the second bit, I would assume that the rules that work more like laws of physics are enforced by letter over spirit, whereas rules that determine unit interaction—such as the auto-attack rule—would have more wiggle room; it does appear that even lowly units have some measure of free will.

A twist I considered thought is that Stanley wasn't the one to destroy Jillian's kingdom, but it was a) someone else with dwagons, or b) someone else with a foolamancer (cloaking as dwagons seems plausible, especially since Jillian only knows what her city saw the day BEFORE it was attacked). Thus Stanley is in fact heading elsewhere and Jillian will return to an empty city. I don't like this one, but Rob spelled out too carefully how Jillian didn't actually know who destroyed her town.
    Yeah, that could make things… interesting. As if Jillian weren't messed up enough.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.