New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desert Blood

1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Desert Blood

Mohsen the Crimson

Mohsen actively listens to the night air, not only to attempt to hear the approach of guards but to determine if anything can be heard from the windows above the pair. While he listens, Mohsen begins to investigate his options and weighs them in his mind. Hmm. I could walk that ledge, but it'd take time. Time I won't have when traipsing about in front of those windows. Scaling straight up the wall won't be much easier... Mohsen looks up at the wall again. The scarf over his mouth hides an amused grimace. "I wonder if I could make that leap."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Listen check! (1d20+3)[22]
    Would you prefer rolls in the Dice thread, or is that just there for our benefit?

How high is either the ledge or the window off of the ground? On average, Mohsen can get a 5' jump off of the ground, so between his height and his arm span he MIGHT be able to grab on to something 12' above ground level. Not like that's any more impressive than just letting Ali lift him up, but still - it's the principle of the thing.
    Last edited by TheGreatJabu; 2008-04-14 at 01:11 PM.
    "This man wishes to be accorded the same privilege as a sponge!" - Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

All Quiet

Mohsen studies the wall while Ali goes back to check the vine. Mohsen can hear the small noises as Ali's feet press against the sand and pebbles along his path. Far in the distance a muffled conversation can be heard. Maybe the guards around the corner by the gate are passing the time. The ledge is about 10 to 11 feet above the ground. The wall is rough natural brick that will provide some friction to his feet but nothing in the way of footholds. Mohsen figures he *might* be able to make it up the wall, if there are some decent handholds near the window sill.

Ali examines the vine. It looks fairly strong. A lot would depend on Mohsen's skill in placing his weight. There are two windows between the vine and their target. Both are dark.
    Spoiler
    Show

Climb DC to get up the wall to the window sill is 20.
    Climb DC of vine is 10. Balance/Climb of walking the ledge is still unknown.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ali

The vines could hold you, if you are careful, the nomad whispers. Wait... to be safe...

He closes his eyes and mutters an unintelligible phrase. When he opens them, the world is illuminated.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Detect Magic and looking around.

If I need a spot check, I'll take 10 for a 20.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-04-14 at 02:30 PM.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

4. - Top - End - #34

Mohsen the Crimson

After sizing things up a bit, Mohsen decides that a running leap may get him the clearance he needs to reach the ledge. Failing that, he thinks to himself, I'll just need to fall very quietly. Mohsen begins to lightly tread away from the manor, getting himself a little distance for his running start. When he glances over to see Ali chanting another of his spells, he decides to wait for a moment.
    "This man wishes to be accorded the same privilege as a sponge!" - Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Other Sight

Ali scans the area but sees no magical emanations.

6. - Top - End - #36

Mohsen the Crimson

After pausing a moment, Ali didn't seem to be giving Mohsen any warning signs or upset looks. Mohsen shrugs his shoulders to himself. He seemed to be looking around, so he must have magicked up some type of spell to aid himself. He didn't react, so must be fine. Mohsen takes a second to adjust the small climbing spikes, held onto his boots by leather straps. With a quick surge, he runs toward the wall at full-tilt, then with a quick bend of the knees he leaps upwards to press his hands down onto the ledge above. He manages to sink his feet into some of the masonry and hoists himself up onto the sloped ledge. After taking a second to even out his balance, Mohsen reaches down into a pouch at his belt and removes a small pair of picks. He begins tinkering with the mechanism on the window, but his constant need to keep his weight shifted properly throws off his manual precision. "Come on, you miserable contraption," he mutters to himself.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ali Elmer

Impressive, the nomad things to himself as Mohsen nimbly reaches the window. I hope he'll be able to get inside...

As he watches the thief work, he also continues watching carefully looking for any sign of danger, especially magical danger.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 on a spot and listen check for 20 and 16.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-04-17 at 09:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Spoiled Flush Games

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just About...

Mohsen precariously balances on the ledge while trying to open the window. As he works away Ali scans the area for signs of danger. It seems quiet and calm. Only his friend's shadow moves on the moonlit wall.

Suddenly Mohsen drops from the wall and onto the sand beside Ali. The young man lands softly and rolls, barely making a sound in the soft earth. Impressive indeed. But the window is still closed. Ali looks around to see if anything took notice. All is quiet. They haven't seen any dogs for a few minutes now.

Spoiler
    Show

Do you want to try again? Or do you have another idea?

9. - Top - End - #39

Mohsen the Crimson

Mohsen was beginning to feel particularly good about this pick. He could feel a few of the pins inside the mechanism beginning to click into place, but suddenly they seemed to be rising back up. Like they no longer had pressure on them. It was less than a split-second later when Mohsen's inner ear registered the problem - he was beginning to tilt backwards. Struggling as he might, he knew he couldn't stop himself. With a slight push from his feet at the last second, Mohsen sent himself falling backwards, away from the wall. When he neared the ground, he reached out with his hands and curled in his lower body, letting his horizontal momentum send him into a roll upon impact. It managed to negate a lot of the force (and sound) of the fall, but his spine was still SCREAMING at him. Aaugh! Damn! Damn...damn... He growls at himself as he rises to his feet and dusts himself off. Looking over to Ali, he shrugs his shoulders. "Guess they'll call me 'Mohsen the Dusty-Red' now," he quipped. "It is difficult to focus on such a precarious perch. If I fail again, we'll adopt a more brutish approach and shatter the window. If you can, find a rock or something to throw. If we could shatter two windows in separate locations simultaneously, it may confuse the guards."

With that, he bounded back towards the wall to leap up and try again.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

a troublesome spot

Mohsen leaps toward the wall again. He makes the ledge and starts leveraging himself up onto it. Unfortunately his balance is a little different then last time. He misses the window sill with his left hand. His body drops a few inches before he catches himself. He balances, momentarily caught half up and half down from the ledge. With a surge from his legs he reaches the edge of the sill and pulls himself into a standing position, breathing heavily.

Mohsen stands for a few seconds cathing his breath. Then tries the picks again. This time he seems to have the knack. His manages to get both hands on the picks while hooking his elbow against the upper sill. The bolt finally slides to the side. The window swings freely - out of course. Mohsen looks in the crack briefly then holds it shut while considering their next step. Inside the room is dark. It looks to be a sizable study, about 15' wide by 20' deep.

11. - Top - End - #41

Mohsen the Crimson

Mohsen smiles to himself as he begins to feel the pins clicking into position. After a moment, the device releases its grasp and the window swings open freely. Before opening it more than a sliver, he calls down to Ali. "Pst! My hands are full - can you toss me a light of some kind?"

While waiting for Ali to think/prepare for his request, Mohsen begins attempting to examine the windowsill and immediate area surrounding the entrance. The light was poor, but at least the moonlight still laid a gentle kiss upon the closest parts of the room to the window.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ali Elmer

The nomad nods silently and reaches into his pack. Standing close to the wall and using his body to block the illumination, he lights a torch and then raises it up to Mohsen's outstretched hand. Once he has it, Ali immediately turns back around, wary of any intruders who may have spied the light.

Spoiler
    Show
    20 on another spot check.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Discovered

Ali lights the torch and stretches up to hand it to his companion. It's a stretch and he has to stand on his toes and hold the very end of the long 3 foot torch. His sharp ears detect a low, feral growl behind him. He does not flinch but waits for Mohsen to lift the torch from his hands before turning to face the sound.

Mohsen crouches down on the ledge to take the torch that Ali hands him. He has to drop one foot below the ledge to get down low enough. His fingers finally curl around the top part of the torch - close enough to the flame to feel the hair on his arm singe. The agile rogue straightens quickly only to be shocked by an explosion of barking from the ground behind Ali! He looks, but the nearness of the flame spoils his night vision.

On the ground Ali has turned to face a vicious looking large guard dog. It's loud barking is laced with an angry growl that leaves no doubt to it's intent to attack. A second dog is standing behind the first. The second dog is quietly watching the first with it's head cocked to one side.

Spoiler
    Show

we're in combat mode: please roll initiative with your next action.
    Ali: the first dog is about 10' away. The second is 15'
    Mohsen: You are standing on the ledge with the torch in your primary hand, and your off hand holding the window sill for balance. The window has one shutter (it's a shuttered window, not glass) open an inch or two. The entire window is about 3' by 3'

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ali Elmer

He had hoped that no poor beast would need to be harmed tonight, but unfortunately this one did his job too well.

I'll take care of this, Ali says to Mohsen, Just get those documents.

He levels his glare at the creature, staring it down, asserting dominance. Without breaking his gaze, he speaks a few words of power, calling the elemental forces of the sun and wind into his humble staff. All the while, he is hoping he won't have to use it. If the dog could be cowed, perhaps the endeavor could be saved.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ali casts Shilaghli on his staff, and then uses Wild Empathy as a move action.

(d20+5)[25]
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-04-22 at 12:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

15. - Top - End - #45

Mohsen the Crimson

Knowing that time was no longer on their side, Mohsen holds the torch up near the window and spends a few moments visually scanning the room. Haste and sloppiness need not go hand-in-hand, he thinks to himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:
    Initiative, if needed - (1d20+3)[5]
    Search - (1d20+6)[24] Looking for the documents, as well as any potential dangers (traps) or anything of interest

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

The guard dog stops barking and leaps to the attack. Ali is caught by the suddenness of the assault. He manages to get one arm up to protect his throat and the dog's teeth sink into it. The dog drops to the ground to gather itself for another try.

The second dog starts to growl also, but remains where it is watching the first dog.

Mohsen swings the shutter open and peers inside the window. He sees a well furnished study. To the right of him the walls are lined with books and the room furnished with comfortable chairs. To the left of him is a fine wood desk with many drawers. Pigeon holes full of papers line the wall behind the desk. A single scroll is on the desk itself, on the top left hand corner. A closed door is opposite Mohsen with a coat rack to the left and a fireplace to the right of it.

Ali backs off and calmly commands the dog to cease it's attack. The dog has tasted blood though, and it's uncertain it will take notice.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:
    Dogs: 8
    Mohsen: 5
    Ali: 5

Ali takes 5 damage
    Juris: As I read it Wild Empathy is a Diplomacy check. So either 10 full rounds or 1 full round rushed (at -10). If you would have won initiative with the roll you had the dog would have held it's attack until it knew more about what you where doing. As it is it got to attack first. If you want to change your action retro-actively let me know and I will edit.

17. - Top - End - #47

Mohsen the Crimson

The path seeming clear, Mohsen gently sets one foot after the other onto the floor and walks over to the desk. He gingerly grabs the scroll and rolls it up, then sticks it in at the top of his backpack. "Rest easy in there, little friend," he whispers to the parchment.

The task completed, Mohsen knew that all that was left was the hasty retreat. No doubt the guards had heard the barking dogs, so time was of the essence. Mohsen glanced back at the window, and recalled the rough distance between it and the ground. Again, he smiled underneath his scarf. I sure hope someone will be watching. He runs towards the window and dives out, hitting the ground rolling to minimize the impact of the landing.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I'm pretty sure that the leap out the window won't happen until "round 3", since it'd take a good move action to get in the window and to the table, and another move to stick the scroll in his pack. Still, I'll go ahead and roll now just to keep things trucking! I'll do both a Jump and Tumble check - either can reduce the falling distance damage by 10', so may as well try!

Jump: (1d20+7)[23] - Didn't include the +4 from the Run feat since I didn't get a significant running start
    Tumble: (1d20+8)[9]

Edit: Blegh! Heck, the Jump check may have succeeded but I probably deserve to take nonlethal damage for botching that Tumble roll unless you're just feeling generous!
    Last edited by TheGreatJabu; 2008-04-22 at 10:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ali Elmer

These dogs were well trained, that much was clear. A distraction was in order, if there were any chance of getting out of here without further damage. Channeling into the elemental forces of wind, he called out to another plane for assistance, summoning up a child of the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Five foot step and casts Summon Nature's Ally II for a small Air Elemental into the square he just vacated.
    Concentration check, if needed, is in the dice roller thread.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-04-23 at 02:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

This Round

Embolded by it's previous success the canine lunges at Ali again. Ali easily side-steps the attack.

Mohsen Climbs into the room and moves over to the desk. He delicately picks up the scroll, senses alert for any traps that may spring. Nothing seems to happen and he breaths a sign of relief.

Looking for a diversion for his opponent the druid backs up further along the wall and begins a serious of gestures, summoning an entity from beyond the confines of this world.

Next Round

The lone dog attacks Ali again. It is no longer barking but only growling, so intent is the creature to get it's teeth into Ali's throat. Ali, involved in the concentration needed for his spell, barely manages to turn to the side as the dog teeth tears through his desert robe.

Mohsen stows the scroll in his packback and picks up the torch again, ready for a hasty retreat.

An elemental appears behind the dog and attacks it immediately. Overhead, Ali's keen ears detect a brief rustle... like... bird wings passing above him. In the distance, he can also hear the sound of people arguing.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:
    Mohsen: 5
    Ali: 5 (5 damage)

Ali, please roll for the elemental attacking the dog and take your next action. An Air Elemental is not in the list on http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonNaturesAllyI.htm. Is it some extension? What are it's stats?
    Last edited by Lost Sage; 2008-04-24 at 02:40 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ali Elmer

Help had arrived and it was good. The elemental would surely keep the dog busy. But he didn't know how much time it would buy them at this point....

Ali turned his face up toward the window and gave his bird call, signalling that they were about to have more company, and of a sort not so easily distracted. He hoped that Mohsen had the documents, because it looked like any escape would have to be fast.

He used his staff to put some space between himself and the dog, hoping that the elemental would monopolize the creature's attention as they made their escape, and backed off toward the fence away from the sounds of voices.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full withrdaw action away from the dog and toward the fence, moving about 40 feet away from the window.

Elemental attack - (d20+5)[9]
    Elemental damage - (d4)[2]

It was Summon Nature's Ally II, btw, so that's why he is able to summon a small elemental.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-04-24 at 08:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

21. - Top - End - #51

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I guess this is just a placeholder to show that I'm paying attention. This round is the round that I'm dramatically failing my skydive!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Round 3

At the sound of wings Ali looks up, but he doesn't see anything against the night sky.

The small elemental slams the dog from behind. But the canine's instincts are sharp and it steps to the side at the last minute. It's eyes dart to the new threat, uncertain of what to make of it. Ali takes the opportunity to back up a few steps and beat a hasty retreat toward the fence.

Round 4

Two other dogs arrive on the scene barking loudly. One stops in the midst of the others and barks indiscriminately at anything and everything around it. This starts the other one of the original pair of on it's own barking fit. The last dog spies Ali retreating and closes on him, lunging for his leg. But the wily druid jumps away before it can make contact. There are now 4 dogs in total. One on Ali 40 feet away, one facing the air elemental, and two barking at each other under the window. The dog facing the air elemental looks at it uncertainly and snaps tentatively, missing the air elemental entirely.

Without warning a lit torch comes flying out of the upstairs window, followed closely by Mohsen. The rogue realizes too late that he is following his torch down to the ground. He tries to twist away but in the process lands badly and falls directly onto the flame. His face and arms are singed and he feels a twinge in left leg.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:
    Mohsen: 5 (4 damage)
    <-- we are here -->

Mohsen: 1 falling damage, 3 burning damage
    Ali: you are about 50' feet from the outer wall (assuming you moved directly toward it)

23. - Top - End - #53

Mohsen the Burnt Sienna

As he dives out the window into the dark night, Mohsen can't help but notice one critical piece of information. I should have thrown my torch to the side! He begins vainly attempting to flail away from the lit tender in mid-air, which only served to foul up his landing. "Wwwooooooooaaaah!"

He hits the ground (and the torch) hard on his right leg, and his momentum sends him rolling over on his side. Fortunately, at least, the rolling kept his clothes from igniting. When his rolling finally stops, Mohsen lets out a quiet groan to himself. I hope no one was watching that... After laying on the ground for a second feeling idiotic, he bounds up to his feet and shouts to Ali. "I've got it! Let's go!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Lay on the ground, recovering lost morale
    Move action: Rise from prone
    Last edited by TheGreatJabu; 2008-04-24 at 12:59 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ali Elmer

This was getting downright dangerous! But the nomad barely noticed his wounds. They had the document and the fence, their escape, was a short way away. All they had to do now was get over it. And then...

Then he'd have his answers.

His air elemental ally swirls and grows and becomes a powerful whirlwind, 20 feet high, kicking up dust and debris and making it difficult for enemies to see them. It moves menacingly toward the dog, attempting to batter and immobilize it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll leave it up to you, Sage, what happens here. The elemental becomes a whirlwind and moves into the dog's square.

Ali repeats the same process he did with the other dog, backing away from it and putting his back to the wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full withrdaw again, this time all the way to the fence.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Round 4 (cont'd)

The air elemental rises up, becoming a towering whirlwind that engulfs the dog facing it. Ali continues his retreat away from the second dog. He reaches the wall surrounding the compound and puts his back to it, waiting for Mohsen to join him.

Round 5

The second dog follows Ali closely and lunges at him as soon as he is cornered at the wall. The druid barely wards the dog off with his staff. The other dogs quiet down, fearful and uncertain of the whirlwind that suddenly appeared in there midst.

Mohsen lies on a ground for a moment. Perhaps checking that all parts are still in place. Then he rises quickly and his shout pierces the night air "I've got it! Let's go!"

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:
    Mohsen: 5 (4 damage)
    <-- we are here -->

Ali:
    You can't command the elemental unless it can hear you and you can speak it's language. I don't think either of those apply. In any case it seemed like a natural thing for it to do so I went with it.
    Also, how did your armor class get to be 20? You have a 3 in Other and a 5 in Misc. I understand the 5 but not the 3.
    Last edited by Lost Sage; 2008-04-25 at 12:56 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Opps, will fill this in once I figure out how myth weavers work.
    Last edited by Lost Sage; 2008-05-06 at 02:47 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground