New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Rise of the Runelords

OOC thread

It is the beginning of Autumn. Your journeys have brought you to the coastal town of Sandpoint, where everyone was busy with preparations for the Swallowtail Festival. The festival will apparently be the largest ever held in the town, for the Church of Desna's reconsecration (The old one was apparently burnt in a fire a few years back; the new one was just finished) will be performed at the festival, which is held today.

The opening speeches are made by Mayor Deverin, Sheriff Hemlock, Cyrdak Drokkus, the owner of the Sandpoint Theater, and Father Zantus, the new priest of Desna (the old one died in the fire). The mayor welcomes all the visitors and gives an exciting, amusing speech. The Sheriff, however, fulfills his duty and depresses everybody with his warnings to be safe around the bonfire that night and request for a moment of silence to remember those who died in the fire. Cyrdak, however, is easily able to improve the crowd's mood with rousing anecdotes about the reconstruction; he then asks everyone to stop by the theater to see his production of "The Harpy's Curse." Last, Father Zantus gives a short speech thanking everyone for coming before he declares the festival underway.

At noon, Father Zantus and his acolytes bring a large covered wagon into the town square and recount a short parable about how, after falling to earth, Desna was nursed to health by a blind child who she transformed into an immortal butterfly as a reward. They then pull the cover off of the wagon, releasing a huge colorful storm of a thousand swallowtail butterflies into the air. Children chase them, but are never quite quick enough.

Lunch is provided for free by Sandpoint's best taverns. Highlights include Ameiko Kaijitsu's curry-spiced salmon, the Hagfish's lobster chowder and the White Deer's peppercorn venison. After you get your food you look for a table, but you can only find one spot. You are joined by five other people (the other PCs).

((This is a chance for introductions. Take as long as you want, and tell me when you're ready for the exciting bit to start.))
    Last edited by [Insert Neat Username Here]; 2008-03-13 at 04:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Founder of the Guy in a Fancy Cape Fanclub.
    Trophies:
    2nd best discworld avatar
    2nd best discworld sigatar
    Caption contest wins: 5th place, 1st place
    Founder of the invisible message army.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords

Vellichek

After a rather rough trip through the wilderness, Vellichek is rather glad of seeing civilization at last. His stomach, however, is even happier, especially considering how he has had to cut on the trail rations due to that incident with the boar.

Entering town, he is surprised to be suddenly enveloped by what seems like a colorful maelstrom of flowers. Taking a few minutes to recover from his surprise, he notices that it's not flowers, but butterflies. Now, who would have captured so many butterflies and freed them all at once is a mystery. Perhaps he should enquire...?

His stomach grumbles again. Wisely choosing to leave the mystery unsolved for now, Vellichek follows his nose to a food stand. There he stocks up on a great variety of dishes before moving along, looking for a place to sit down and enjoy the meal at. Seeing an empty table in a secluded spot, he rushes towards the place. Finally having found a place to sit down at, he proceeds to vehemently and rapidly attack the meal.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Vatai
    Vellichek returns to find a tall, gaunt man sitting at the table. Whereas he chose a variety of foods, the bald human sits with only a single rabbit, (cooked by one of the simpler inns, though it still is a masterpiece of spices an seasonings) a loaf of thick, dark bread, and a massive mug of bitter mead. The man tears veraciously at the rabbit, obviously famished. For several seconds he only tears at the meat, ignoring his dining mate, but once most of the rabbit is devoured the man tosses it back onto his plate and reaches for the bread. As he does so, his eyes freeze on the other diner like those of a fox caught thieving. Immediately, the barbarian draws the bread into his lightly armored chest.
    They said I could have this.
    Vatai's eyes never leave the other man, but his tense frame betrays his readiness to run.
    Damn that inn keeper. He said Sandpoint was a quiet town. I come here to find people everywhere. Too much attention. And giving out food... I've had to steal food from places larger and grander than Sandpoint, and even the other Shoanti tribes never gave me food. I knew it was too good to be true.
    The Bear is Back.

4. - Top - End - #4

Vellichek

*Raises an eyebrow*. Excuse me, sir, but I believe you have hijacked my table. Could you please depart it? Sitting down on the other side of the table, Vellichek finishes his food, and proceeds to stare very intently at the other man, as if magically commanding him to leave. As this has no effect, Vellichek resigns himself to having to share the table with the man. Aah, well. It's not that bad. The privacy and time to reflect goes down the drain, though. Pity that. As he scrutinizes the other man, Vellichek remembers something. Eeehm...and...who said you could have that rabbit? He curiously inquires.

5. - Top - End - #5

Seoni

Seoni walks around town casually, carrying around a plate of food and snacking on it while she watches the butterflies. She loves little Sandpoint festivals like these. She'll miss them once she moves away.

Seeing a table with open seats, Seoni sits down with the gaunt man and the man guarding the loaf of bread. "Enjoying the free food, boys? All of the inns really go all out with it to advertise how good their cooks are," she says conversationally while watching the butterflies flit around in the air.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

6. - Top - End - #6

Vellichek

Who decided to throw a party at this table without me knowing? Well, I guess I can cope with just another guest, Vellichek silently muses. After elucubrating such thoughts, he proceeds to turn towards the lass and gifts her with a small, but steady smile.

Quite so, milady, quite so. Though the food really advertises itself, don't you think? He says in a conversational tone. Seeing the girl watch the butterfly display, he feels a need to comment on them.

They're very much like a flower storm, aren't they? Enveloping the village with colours, and making imagination fly.

7. - Top - End - #7

Seoni

"They're like a dream in animal form," she says, still smiling as she watches them flutter about. "I suppose that's one of the reasons that they're Desna's symbol."
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

8. - Top - End - #8

Vellichek

They DO say certain parts of the world were taken from the dreamscape, so perhaps that is actually truth, he says, broadening the smile. But I am not familiar with the Desna you speak of, due to...uhm...how can I say it... problems with religion earlier in my life. What is the reason for picking a butterfly as a symbol? They seem so...disconnected from such matters as gods or the earth, that I just can't fathom why someone would place them in their shield.

9. - Top - End - #9

Seoni

"Well, she isn't really a deity of war. She represents dreams and luck. I think that the luminous wings of swallowtails just reminded someone of the feeling that she is supposed to be a symbol of," Seoni says, explaining her religion casually. "The butterfly shows up a lot in myths about Desna, especially the one about the kind, blind child being transformed into an immortal one."
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

10. - Top - End - #10

Vellichek

Interesting, indeed. The symbol is rather fitting, then. Though, that story of the blind child...It somehow annoys me. There's something quite wrong in it, but I don't know what, exactly...but where are my manners? I thank, you, kind maiden, for sparing some of your time to explain this to me. My name is Vellichek. Vellichek Rylle'ye. Could you bless me with the gift of your name?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Dilekar

If any one of Sandpoint's inhabitants and visitors had for some reason decided to look down during the celebrations, there's a good chance he could have caught a glimpse of an odd sight: a young dark-haired male halfling, wearing what seems to be a child-sized version of the colourful traditional Varisian clothing, looking around with a gaping mouth and a look of wonder in his face. But almost nobody did, since everyone had their attention focused on the speeches and butterflies and music and important people and everything else that happened at the festival. And so, he managed to go almost unnoticed throughout the day, despite his unlikely appearance.

Dilekar was having a blast. He had been roaming around the city for a few days, waiting patiently for the festival to start, and the wait had certainly paid off. He even cried a little when Father Zantus told the story of the boy who became butterfly, remembering the many times his mother had told that same story to him when he was a kid. Aw, come on, he thought, quickly wiping away the tears, it's been only a few weeks and you're already missing them? Such a daring wanderer you are... Besides, they kicked you out, remember? Better get used to this, you're not likely to come back home anytime soon. The revealing of the hidden butterflies did much to cheer him up, and he even joined Sandpoint's kids in their fruitless chase behind the flying pieces of living colour.

Exhausted, Dilekar went to find some food and a place to sit down and relax for a while. After grabbing a plate of chicken wings and some roasted vegetables, and nimbly dodging lots of humans with too much ale in their stomach and not enough attention to avoid stepping on those smaller than them, he finally found a free spot in a table. He sits down noisily, interrupting the Varisian girl with a cheery greeting before she has a chance to answer: "Hey, big guys! Enjoying the festival? Man, those butterflies were awesome, weren't they?". Looking at the others, he finally realizes he may ha been a bit too rash. "Whoops, sorry, did I interrupt something important?", he says, with an innocent smile in his face.

12. - Top - End - #12

Vellichek

Not really, Mr. What does another uninvited guest do to affect the party, anyway? Vellichek affably says, even as his brain is wracked with incredulity.Perhaps someone planted a big "Have space, will share table" sign while I wasn't looking?, he muses, as he gazes at the small halfling. You are right in that, though. This butterflies soothe mind and soul, and their colors make the world a nicer place to live in. Why, this charming young lady here, he says as he points towards the girl, and me had just finished discussing the butterflies.

After he finishes uttering that sentence, Vellichek looks up, to check for signs, just in case. One can never know what happens, and reality is far, far stranger than fiction.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Volt (and Oka)

Ironically, or perhaps, appropriately enough, the one character among the rogues gallery who COULD have shed more insight on the ideals of Desna is nodding off to sleep. An odd, young man, garbed in green and tan colors with a peculiar green scarf wrapped over his head, he was the first one at the table, having already stuffed himself with a few samples of everything, judging by the empty plates stacked up by his resting head on the edge of the table.

Oka the wolf is probably the reason the table was deserted in the first place. Though obviously with the druid, or ranger or whatever the boy is, the sight of a silver and black wolf chewing (almost contentedly) on a large beef bone at his feet wasn't entirely welcoming, though the animal's indifference to anything but his food makes the place a bit safer.

Volt snoozes peacefully throughout the conversation, until one the butterflies unexpectedly comes to rest atop his head on the pin holding his scarf in place: a carved butterfly of wood with a golden finish over its surface.

For only the briefest moment does the delicate thing stay there before fluttering off, yet it causes the druid to stir as if someone lobbed a rock at him.

" *snrk* Guh.. Huh? What's all thi-- Oh! Hello, I didn't notice the table was suddenly shared by so many!" He brightens while rubbing sleep out of his eyes. "Did someone mention butterflies?"
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Watching the others as they talked, Vatai quickly shoved the loaf of bread into his pack. Downing his mead in a single gulp, he listened further, taking careful note of each. He remained silent at the one called Vellichek’s question, taking advantage his distracted state.

Interesting.

He then rushes to the nearest stall, filling his plate again, this time with another loaf of bread, along with a massive flank of venison. Ripping into the meat, he looked over at the wolf chewing a bone at his feet. It was a noble animal, not a coyote or a dog. Such a wild creature couldn’t just be a pet… it had to be the companion to a druid. And that meant the sleeping man was one to be respected.

I probably have more in common with the two of you than anyone here.

He takes a chunk of meat and turns to the beast’s owner.

Mind if I give him some of this? My eyes were bigger than my stomach, and that bone is probably getting dry.
    The Bear is Back.

15. - Top - End - #15

Vellichek

That doesn't seem like a good idea if you ask me, though aren't doing so. Many animals go wild at the sight of food or when approached by strangers, he says, as he rummages through his pack. Where is the amulet? Someone must have planted an amulet of attraction on my person. Can't explaon such an odd group assembling otherwise.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Volt

"Huh? Oh, sure, Oka and I were going to be roughing it in the woods and on the road soon enough; may as well savor the harvest these good people are offering..."

The druid beams as the wolf in turn glances suspiciously at Vatai.

"So, traveler," the druid adds "What brings you this way?"
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

17. - Top - End - #17

Seoni

Seeing that Vellichek's attention has turned elsewhere, she turns to the apparently Varisian halfling. "I like your clothes," she says, smiling at him. "What's your name?"
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Dilekar

Slightly distracted by the conversation happening at the other side of the table, not to mention the presence of seemingly tame wolf besides one of the humans, Dilekar was caugh off-guard by the Varisian girl. "Oh", he mutters, almost choking on a chicken wing and blushing slightly, "thanks! I got them from the Varisians I've been travelling with until two days ago as a parting gift. They were a nice bunch indeed, reminded me a lot of my childhood days in Magnimar. Name's Dilekar, Dilekar Moonsooth, nice to meet you. And yours?.

19. - Top - End - #19

Seoni

"My name's Seoni," she says, conversationally. "I always wanted to travel, but my parents decided to settle down before I was even born. Is it much fun?"
    Last edited by jagadaishio; 2008-03-13 at 04:33 PM.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Dilekar

"Fun? Yeah, it's heaps of fun", Dilekar nods, a serious and concentrated look on his face for the first time since he sat down at the table. "But, it's certainly not for everyone. And sometimes, even if travelling and aventuring and exploring is all you want in this life, you have to make... sacrifices in order to achieve your dreams.". A bitter smile creeps back into his face. "I know about those sacrifices, believe me. Though so far, I must say it's almost been worth the price. And I hope it will only get better from now on.".

21. - Top - End - #21

Vellichek

Funny you would say that. I'm willing to put my vote on traveling being far, far better than staying at one place, particularly when you've grown up with... Vellichek chokes. Fool. How do you go spreading the facts of your life as if they were rumours? You know how people react to you. Keep your mouth shut, he chastises himself. He then proceeds to another point of the halfling's discourse, olympically skipping the job of finishing up his sentence. I have to agree with you on the other things, though. Nothing worth it was ever obtained free or cheap.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Ka-Tamiir. Means something like wander lust in the common tongue. I was simply drawn here on the winds.
    He tosses a large piece of meat to the wolf, hoping to reassure it.
    I didn't know there'd be so many... city-folk here. I thought this place was small. I might be moving on soon...
    The Bear is Back.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Grum

A defining silence fill a small area of the celebration as quite possibly the largest Orc you have ever seen strolls into town. A massive falchion rests in it's scarab on his waist. This is where the typical orc ends as on his face rest a smile to match the rest of his size. As he approaches others you notice that he is kindly introducing himself. Many aren't sure what to think as he approaches your table.

"Hello. Grum's name is Grum. You having party? I like parties. My friend Jack didn't like parties, but other friend Jack did like parties. Jack liked to play with Grum's mirror. I wish I still had Grum's mirror. Oh! Look at all the food."

With the last statement the orc sits in a remaining empty seat, possibly forcing others to make room for him and begins to devour what ever is in front of him.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

24. - Top - End - #24

Seoni

Raising an eyebrow and giving a small smile at the large, friendly orc breaking the somber mood created by the conversation of travel promising hidden pasts, Seoni says to Grum, "The food here is pretty great, isn't it?"
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

25. - Top - End - #25

You all socialize and eat for a time, and finally a sharp retort, like the crack of distant thunder, slices through the excited crowd -- it appears Father Zantus is ready to consecrate the church. A stray dog that has crawled under a nearby wagon to sleep starts awake, and the buzz of two dozen conversations quickly hushes as all heads turn toward the central podium, where a beaming Father Zantus has taken the stage. He clears his throat, takes a breath to speak, and suddenly a woman's scream slices through the air. A few moments later, another scream rises, then another. Beyond them, a sudden surge of strange new voices rises -- high-pitched, tittering shrieks that sound not quite human. The crowd parts and something low to the ground races by, giggling with disturbing glee as the stray dog gives a pained yelp and then collapses with a gurgle, its throat cut open from ear to ear. As blood pools around its head, the raucous sound of a strange song begins, chanted from shrill, scratchy voices.

Spot checks and initiative rolls, everybody.

Dilekar can recognize the song's language -- it's Goblin.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Goblin Song:
    Goblins chew and Goblins bite.
    Goblins cut and Goblins fight.
    Stab the dog and cut the horse,
    Goblins eat and take by force!

Goblins race and Goblins jump.
    Goblins slash and Goblins bump.
    Burn the skin and mash the head,
    Goblins here and you be dead!

Chase the baby, catch the pup.
    Bonk the head to shut it up.
    Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
    We be Goblins! You be food!
    Last edited by [Insert Neat Username Here]; 2008-03-14 at 06:44 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Founder of the Guy in a Fancy Cape Fanclub.
    Trophies:
    2nd best discworld avatar
    2nd best discworld sigatar
    Caption contest wins: 5th place, 1st place
    Founder of the invisible message army.

26. - Top - End - #26

Vellichek

Seeing the murders, Vellichek pushes people away from him, and shouts, in a deep, gravelly voice: EVERYONE! GET AWAY FROM HERE! RUN!. As he utters those words, he creates a ring of flames around his person, and approaches the creature. Carefully, he concentrates and attempts to touch it to engulf it in flames.

Spoiler
    Show
    I wreath myself in flames, and attempt a touch attack. Here go the rolls:

Initiative: [roll]1d20 +1[/roll]
    Spot: (1d20)[10]
    Attack roll: (1d20+1)[4]
    Fire damage: (1d6)[6]
    If I am attacked, here's the roll for being damaged by the coat of flames: (1d6)[6]

Also, a Knowledge: Arcane roll if it is pertinent to the creature type, for discovering what it is: (1d20+5)[22]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Doing my rolls first. Will edit in flavor.
    Init - (1d20+2)[9]
    Spot - (1d20-1)[12]

Hearing the cries and the dogs yelp, Grum casts about his face one full of a determined child. He draws his falchion, taking it in two hands. "Mother, I'll help them."
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2008-03-14 at 09:13 PM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

28. - Top - End - #28

Seoni

Seoni leaps up mid-conversation and looks around for the source of the panic. If she finds the source and it carries a weapon, she shatters the weapon with a single word of dark speech. If it doesn't carry a weapon, she lets loose with a quick blast of eldritch energy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+4)[22]
    Spot - (1d20+2)[9]

The shattering is Baleful Utterance, it will automatically sunder a non-magical weapon, the holder must make a DC 15 fortitude save or be dazed for one round and deafened for one minute.

Eldritch Blast:
    Attack - (1d20+4)[7] (+1 if within 30 feet)
    Damage - (1d6)[6] (+1 if within 30 feet)
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Init(1d20+2)[3] Spot (1d20)[18]

Vatai immediately draws his won massive falchion off his back. The sharp blade was not overly heavy, but it was still powerful and quick.
    The Bear is Back.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Oh, come on, not now. We were having fun!. Still with a chicken wing in his mouth, Dilekar stands up, and draws his rapier, looking for the source of the song. 'We be food', huh? Well, you be goblin kebab, as soon as I can find you...

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: [roll0]
    Spot: [roll1]