New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Buffy: The Vampire Slayer (IC)

A beautiful sunny Saturday morning in New Plymouth. People going on with their business, working, shopping, walking, talking. One group of young people however, are spending their Saturday morning doing something a little different to their friends - running around town putting up fliers.
    "The Salvation Army, New Plymouth Chapter, would like to invite all budding musicians to audition for a new band, 12:30pm at our youth center. A light lunch will be provided, and a small selection of instruments. Any donations would be appreciated."
    Soon, all the wandering teenagers are talking about the audition, wondering if they'll have to sing 'Christian' songs, or if they can pick their own.
    The clocks in the shop windows start chiming 10am.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Buffy: The Vampire Slayer (IC)

((I'm assuming the Childrens center job is a nogo))

Harry

It's dark in the garage, and cool in the shade. Harry likes it. The Quiet noise of traffic outside is muted by the walls. It is dirty, which harry dosn't mind. And for the Money he's getting for this job, he's not going to clean it up. Room and board and so sub minimum wage even other illegal immigrants won't take it. At least they get overtime shifts.

Harry still likes it. Pulling pints every evening isn't that bad, and when he's not working behind the bar, he gets to listen to the bands, or work on his bike. Not that any of the band will let some big dumb barely 19 yearold play drums. Even the ones that are bareley 18 don't let him even touch a drum. And his bike has been broken since the cargo container it was in got filled with saltwater.

It's dark and cool in the Garage, and the quiet noise of the traffic is suddenly increased when a hand tuned custom built Royal enfield classic roars into life.

Harry revs up the street, a Big young man, with a dumb smile on his face. His hair is trapped under a beaten up old crash helmet, but his eyes flash in the noon sun.

'The Noon Sun' flashes a though through harrys mind. 'Oh blast. I'll be late for the audition' He revved the engine up again, and tore down a side road, heading for the Salvation Army church Hall, where the auditions were taking place.

Harry Arrived on the scene, at about 20 past the hour, and managed to park his bike and join the que in a hurry, bumping into a few of the others by accident. even with his helmet off, in a Leather jacket and at least an inch ahead of every other entrant, he felt like he stuck out a bit. He absently drew from his inner pocket 2 hand carved drumsticks, his last momento from africa, and he twirled them, one in each hand as he checked out the other entrants.
    Last edited by Adlan; 2007-05-12 at 01:58 AM.
    Necromunda Total War:IC
    Necromunda Total War:OC

Spoiler
    Show
    Brair Freeman of Tariola, 4 levels of Ranger.
    Amiri Pakeha Khan, M.Eng Ship's mechanic.

And I'll dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance in the oldest boots I own,
    to the rhythm of Tom Payne's bones.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Jenna

Jenna yawns a little, standing in line for a cup of coffee at her local coffee shop, when a kid from school puts up a flyer on the window. She nods a little to the guy, finally getting her coffee, and absentmindedly pays the clerk while trying to read the note through the window. dnab wen a rof noitidua...Audition? Cool! The girl takes a sip of her coffee and burns her lip a little, cursing under her breath as she heads outside to check it out. The Salvation Army...Well, at least her grandparents would have approved...maybe... A quick glance at her watch shows she's got a couple of hours to prepare, so she slings her training bag over her shoulder and heads back home to change. No training today, who'd want to show up on audition all sweaty and redfaced...

An hour and a half later she stands in front of the youth center, fresh from the shower and with new make up, her dark eyes heavily outlined in black. Dressed in dark blue torn jeans, boots and a white corset laced up with leather, she now carries a woven shoulderbag containing sheet music, pens and paper, and a cd with backing music, just in case. The last hour she'd been doing vocal exercises, warming up her voice, and now she stood chewing a fingernail outside the Salvation Army. What if this was a church band? Oh well, let's just make the audition first, worry about repertoire later...If it was for church, she probably wouldn't make it with the Avril Lavigne song she'd picked out anyway. Feeling a little more at ease, she enters through the doors and steps up to a man dressed in the traditional Salvation Army uniform. "Jenna Winter. I'm here for the audition?"
    Last edited by Yawielas; 2007-05-11 at 05:02 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Bastian

Why did I ever agree to help with this? Bastian wonders as he strums absent-mindedly on his guitar just outside the Youth Center. Surronded already by some jostling hopefuls with their doe-eyes and innocent expectations, Bastian feels quite old at the ancient age of twenty-one. This was clearly not what he had had in mind when an old friend--an aquiantence, really, had asked him to help the auditioning process for a band by playing backup for candidates.

"Ah, well," Bastian says as he pulls himself up to his full height, straightens the folds of his frayed khakis with his free hand while the other clutches the neck of a fine old blue guitar; the kind of guitar that spends a lifetime in the pawn shop until someone of less than wholly desirable means comes along to save it from the scrapheap. He walks into the center, adjusts his spectale-sized sunglasses, and looks around.

"I am such a geezer."

5. - Top - End - #5

Harry
    'You feel old too mate?' Harry asked, leaning in the que, his helmet under his arms. His drumsticks in the pocket of his batterd baggy jeans.
    'Harry, well actually Bertram, but keep that under your hat. Harry Shuck, I'm new in town.'
    Last edited by Adlan; 2007-05-12 at 06:26 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

(To Jenna) "Take these forms, fill them out and we'll sort you out when we can."
    The harried volunteers, inside the center and out, are frantically trying to organise the chaos, asking people to sign the forms with the usual information - name, address, phone number, prefered instrument etc. Those that finish filling out their forms are grouped - singers, drummers, guitarists, keyboarders etc.
    Finally, everyone is grouped, and the local Captain stands to speak. "Thank you all for coming today. I know you've had a long wait, so I won't take too much time. First, I want to assure you that, while we do have some standards that we expect you to keep, this will not be a church band. We want to give some of you a worthwhile opportunity. Second, in the interests of time, and because there are more here than we expected, the audition will go a bit differently to what we planned. It's going to be a group audition."
    He pauses for a bit, to let that sink in. "Singers, I want you all to find a drummer, a guitarist, and one other instrument of your choice. Decide amongst yourselves what song you'll perform, and in ten minutes the first group will wow us."
    Last edited by Prustan; 2007-05-12 at 06:39 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Harry
    Their Conversation was ended by the distribution of papers, and Harry scabbed a pen off another entrant.
    Then when they were sorted into groups, and finally told how the auditions were run, he caught Bastians eye.
    'You come with a group? Or do you need a drummer?'
    Last edited by Adlan; 2007-05-12 at 07:21 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Jenna

Stunned that they won't even have time to rehearse as a group, Jenna stands on her tip toes, glancing over to the guitarists and drummers and what nots. Frowning, she tries to decide which instrument would fit her song best, then realises she might not even get to perform her own choice, now that it's a group audition. As she watches the other vocalists scramble around looking for musicians, she realises she has to act fast before they're all taken.

"Hey!" A young brunette with dark eyes, slim, fit and attractive, jumps up on the desk and surveys the room. "I'm a singer in need of a drummer and a guitarist, possibly a bass or a keyboard as well. Any takers?"

9. - Top - End - #9

Harry
    'Well, I'm in. Harry says sorta fast like.
    'I'm a drummer, err... Harry. I'm called Harry.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Bastian

Bastian follows Harry--Bertram, he'd have to file that one away for later use--and strummed a few chords out on his guitar.

"I guess my buddy's not gonna show, then,"
    he says, "so if you both need a guitarist, I guess I'm it." Bastian looks around, surprised at how quickly every other guitarist in the place has been gobbled up.

11. - Top - End - #11

Harry

'So, Any more for any more?' He glanced around everyone was in a group or other, there was hardly anyone still around.

'So... again. What kinda Musicism do we like?

'Well, I like all sorts. I play anything with a beat, Brit Pop, Indie, even, heh. African Tribalism, Though in general they prefer hardcore rock and Roll. ACDC goes down well'
    Last edited by Adlan; 2007-05-12 at 04:17 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

A nervous looking guy, so far overlooked by the groups milling around, shuffles up to Harry, and says "Er..Hi. I'm Doug, and I play bass. I heard you needed a bassist, so, here I am."

As the people organise themselves into small groups, volunteers start numbering them off, and give the number '20' to Jenna. As soon as the ten minutes are up, the Captain stands again. "I hope that you are all as ready as you can be. Unfortunately, we can only support one group, so if you don't make it in, then whoever still wishes to participate will be backups and support personnel. Now, as promised in the flier, there is a light lunch waiting for us, so let's get started. First group, come on up."
    "Hi everyone," says their singer "I'm Jim, and we're going to do 'Crawling' by Linkin Park." And they begin. Quite badly.
    Last edited by Prustan; 2007-05-12 at 09:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Jenna

Jenna looks at her group, jumping back down from the desk. She takes the number 20, and smiles at the guys. "Hi, I'm Jenna. I had an Avril Lavigne song prepared, but I guess I can do either pop, rock, punk or goth. Do you all know "Complicated"?

14. - Top - End - #14

'Errr... Sure, I think I remember it. It goes sorta like. his hands, twirling drumsticks flash in a complex pattern. and mentally he beats out the pattern, his foot tapping in time as well through his heavy, if very worn leather boots.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Bastian

"Not sure that I know it," he says, settling his guitar across his chest carefully, "but I can certainly fake my way well enough."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Jenna

"Which songs do you know, then? It will go better if we all know the same song. I'll list some of mine, let me know if you know them..."Paint it Black, Sk8ter Boy, My Immortal, Kiss from a Rose, Have a Nice Day, Your Song, Hotel California..."

17. - Top - End - #17

'Well Any drummer worth his salt can play Paint it Black.' He finsihes twirling the sticks in a skillful floruish, and flips them through an arc in his grasp, slamming them into his back pockets.
    Then seeing the raised eyebrows of the others.

'It's a martial Art I do, I do like to show it off.'

'Bastian, do you know the cords. If you do then there's only one problem' He cranes his head around theatrically.
    'I think all the Sitar players are taken.'

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Bastian

"Of course I know the chords. I'm not a musical hermit, hm? And we can play it well enough sans the sitar, then."

Bastian returns to strumming a bit on his guitar, keeping a fine little blue pick held between his fist and the neck of the instrument.

19. - Top - End - #19

Harry
    'So, I take it we don't get a chance to rehurse. Know what number they are upto yet?' Harry smiled eagerly, pleased they were settled.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Jenna

"Paint it black" it is, then. I think we have a little time before number 20's up. Wanna steal away somewhere and go through it once or twice?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

As the first group finally finishes, Doug says "I know that song too. Can I join you guys?"
    The second group, after listening to the critique of the first group, gets on stage. "Hi! I'm Linda, and we'll sing 'Get this party started' by Pink." Not exactly good, but not bad either.

22. - Top - End - #22

Harry

'errr, yeah sure, but where' He smiles.
    'And I don't think there's anywhere we can steal a drumkit from. It's kinda hard to fit one in my jacket pockets'

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Jenna

She looks at Harry. "Do you know how to beat box? We could try outside, in the alley, and you could drum on the walls, or dust bins or something. And sure, we could use a bass." The last remark went to Doug. "The second group is on now, so we have at least ten minutes."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Despite several of the other late groups having the same idea as you, you still manage to find a bass for Doug and improvise some drums for Harry.

Your rehearsal goes well, and you can tell that you've got a pretty good chance of winning. Doug plays well enough, and, from what you can hear, there's only been one group to give you any serious competition - they performed 'Alright' by Tadpole.
    And now, it's your turn.

Harry and Bastion - roll Art + Dex. Jenna - roll Art + Con. Time to see how you actually do.

25. - Top - End - #25

Harry
    The Englishman sits nervously at the drum kit, and gives a good count in. slapping his drumsticks in time together with his words.

'One, Two, a One, Two, Three, Four.

And then comes slamming in for the drums when the guitar intro reaches the right point. He's rocksteady on the beat and the high hats crash just a the right instance.

((So Thats D10 + Dex and D10 + Art. Makes 2d10+6 Roll of 13 and 10, making a nift 23. If I calculated right. Edit: Apparently i calculated wrong, so just count that as a drama point spent.))
    Last edited by Adlan; 2007-05-14 at 02:47 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

(Isn't it 1d10+the sum of your art+dex? At least that's how we've always played it)

Jenna

(con 3+art 5= 8 + 1d10 + using a dramapoint for 10 = 26 which equals success level 7
    http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1016 )

Jenna gets on stage, grabs the mike and gives it her all.

(link to picture I'll be using: http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/4372/14ax.jpg )
    Last edited by Yawielas; 2007-05-14 at 10:19 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Bastian

On stage, Bastian actually looks somewhat nervous--he hadn't expected to invest so much of himself in this. He swings the pick out from his palm and between his thumb and forefinger.

Come on, now, Bastian. You've done this -how- many times before?

((I was confused about the roll too, but I think it is the one roll...if I was wrong lemme know. Roll, after much confusion))

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

(With all appropriate modifiers, the group total is 10 Success levels!)

After all this time spent listening to groups ranging from abysmal to ok, your performance has the no longer bored audience begging for more. You totally blew away any possible competition, and even the kids that hate the song are dumbfounded at it's awesomeness.
    The Captain gets up to speak. "Well, I think we can safely say, WE HAVE A WINNER!" He has to wait for the loud cheering and whistling to subside "Forms are available for those who wish to help out as backups and support. Now, before we go eat the lunch provided for us, I would like to invite Albert to say grace."
    While waiting for Albert to get to the stage, he turns to the group and says "Can I talk to you after lunch? There are some things we need to work out."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Jenna

Jenna smiles, still psyched after the performance. "Sure! Right, guys?" She looks at the others.

30. - Top - End - #30

Bastian

Bastian still reels, truly suprised by their astounding success. He squirms a bit at the mention of grace, then nods in agreement with Jenna.

"What kind of things, then?"