New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Overpowered Game

That settles the situation for Alazne. With a whirl of her hands she casts Invisibility, then rushes out of the door as fast as she can back in the direction they came, former bravado and confidence completely and utterly abandoned along with Yog's corpse.

2. - Top - End - #62

Kel' continues to sit casually against the wall, waiting for things to die down a bit.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

With the death of Yoggy, some of the undead calm down, thinking they have dispatched the leader. Two of the wights move in, the first comically slipping and falling prone on the grease, and the second using his brother as a bridge before meeting the same fate. A third trods over both his comrades to stand next to where Kel casually leans against the wall.

"What business do you have here?" He snarls. This wight has the form of an undead goblin, somewhat rotted with age. "Are you with him?" He asks, stomping the dead body beneath him.

Meanwhile Alazne escapes the tower while two undead continue walking down the corridor. Alekel hears their voices and, terrified, follows after Alazne.

4. - Top - End - #64

Speaking up in his real, very hoarse, voice, Kel' says, Well, unfortunately I was. But mostly just following them. I haven't said a word to them yet. I had intended to come here to have a talk with the Lich, apparently they were a little anxious.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Her player giggling slightly at how idiotic Alazne seems in the wake of Kel's calm composure and handling of the situation she almost literally left in ruins, Alazne stops outside the door and considers what to do next, her eyes narrow.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you Vael for re-introducing some lightness into what would otherwise be an overly-serious rpg

No need to worry about initiative now that we're out of battle

Meanwhile, Alekel sees Alazne cast a spell and disappear. Terrified to be suddenly alone, and catching a glimpse of undead, he runs out of the tower.

"Alazne?!" He breathes, unable to gather his own voice, hoping, somehow, that she can hear him and will reply. He looks around and, seeing no one, turns back to the tower. He gulps, knowing he must return, but utterly afraid to do so.
    <hr>
    "Heh. You don't say." The wight says, looking over his shoulder. The 4 wights are face down on the ground, unable to get to their feet, and beyond them some piles of dust are all that remain of some of the unluckier undead. The rest of the undead are all still standing, listening to the wight's conversation with Kel. The wight turns his attention back to Kel.

"You want to talk to the lich huh? A mortal wants to talk to the lich. Hahahah!" The wight turns his head upward and laughs, a raucus, hoarse laugh that scrapes out his undead throat. Then he looks at Kel again. "And why might that be?"

"I don't think that's any of your concern, wight." A new voice comes down the hall from Kel's left, behind the wight. It is a low and deep voice, booming down the hall, and making the wight cringe somewhat, and turn.

Behind the wight stands a silhouette of a figure - broad and armored, with a weapon hanging down from its left side. Behind it stands another thing of similar type, though smaller. Kel's hummingbird familiar squeaks, and he can feel its fear through his empathic link.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, so I'm a roleplayer. There's always combat if you want it

Knowledge (Religion) DC 26 check for the Dread Wraith (in front)
    Knowledge (Religion) DC 15 check for Wraith (behind)

The deep voice booms out again.

"The lich isn't here. Go back where you came from."
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-05-02 at 12:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

OOC: >.>
    She's invisible, unless I'm missing something. Can Alekel see invisible people?

8. - Top - End - #68

And when will the Lich be back? I have some business to discuss with him.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Yoggy lies motionless on the floor, and wittily responds with nothing because he's dead.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Oops. Sorry Vael, I've edited my post.

Does anyone even have Knowledge (Religion)? *Checks* Just Alekel. Great.

Also, roll diplomacy if you want someone to do something

The large shadow steps forward.

"You should leave." The shadow intones heavily.

Spoiler
    Show
    Chosen, roll against Intimidate. 1d20+8 for your character, I think.
    Intimidate - (1d20+26)[33]

[hr]
    "You look rather lost dear." A voice startles Alekel, and he jumps about a foot before seeing the voice's source. A few feet from the door to the tower a figure sits, covered in rags, leaning against the wall. The voice is that of a woman, though the figure is too cloaked to tell.

"I... Well..." Alekel seems at a loss for words. "Er... Were you there the whole time?"

"Oh, no." She replies - definitely a woman's voice. "I just got here."

Alazne recognizes the image as an illusion, though Alekel apparently does not.

11. - Top - End - #71

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't want anyone to do anything, I just asked a question. Nor do I ever want to roll diplomacy because the outcome of any diplomacy interaction should be based entirely on the +412 circumstance modifier one way or the other. And so rolling it seems pretty pointless.

That said, my actions below apply regardless of whether or not I am shaken for one round.

(1d20+8)[22]

Why?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, I misinterpreted your second-to-last post then. But feel free to use diplomacy in the future to try to persuade people.

And you're thinking of the combat use of Intimidation. Here's the other:
    You can change another’s behavior with a successful check. Your Intimidate check is opposed by the target’s modified level check (1d20 + character level or Hit Dice + target’s Wisdom bonus [if any] + target’s modifiers on saves against fear). If you beat your target’s check result, you may treat the target as friendly, but only for the purpose of actions taken while it remains intimidated. (That is, the target retains its normal attitude, but will chat, advise, offer limited help, or advocate on your behalf while intimidated. See the Diplomacy skill, above, for additional details.) The effect lasts as long as the target remains in your presence, and for 1d6×10 minutes afterward. After this time, the target’s default attitude toward you shifts to unfriendly (or, if normally unfriendly, to hostile).
    I won't tell you how to rp your character, but imagine him being intimidated (even evil creatures can be awe-struck), and how he would react if so.

"This is our place." The undead says menacingly, and the dark figure - though somewhat hard to see - reaches out towards Kel. Its arms are unnaturally long, and though it stands 15 feet away, its reach almost comes to Kel. "Not for mortals. Leave unless you wish to join us."

13. - Top - End - #73

Spoiler
    Show
    Except that use of Intimidate takes a solid minute of talking, and I doubt we'll get that far.

I see, what a terrible misunderstanding then. That's exactly what I came to see the Lich about.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Alazne narrows her eyes and keeps watching.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for reminding me about the 1-minute thing x_X. As for the conversation lasting that long... We'll see Since time is pretty arbitrary out of combat, and talking would be a free actino anyway... Probably 4 more passages by the dread wraith (in other words, 4 more posts by me of the same length) would be enough to expend a minute of intimidation.

And "at last" Kel's intentions become clear. Too bad no one's around to see it

"Fine." The creature says, lowering its arm to its side again. "Grant him his request." It orders the goblinoid wight. The wight, somewhat surprised, turns again to face Kel.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll for initiative or continue talking

Vael feel free to intervene at any point in this next part. Oh, and I almost forgot: You recognize the illusion as a Major Image.

[hr]
    "O-oh." Alekel replies. "Um... Are you... ah..." He is hesitant for words, but the woman seems to catch his drift.

"An undead?" She finishes. Alekel nods nervously. "If I was, I'd be in this tower rather than out here, don't you think?" Before Alekel can respond, she continues. "But tell me, traveler, what is your business here? It is rare to see living people to be around these parts."

"I-indeed!" Alekel answers. "A-actually, I'm here with a group who are - oh! Still inside! And they need my help! But I-I..."

"You're scared." The woman finishes again. Alekel nods sadly. She chuckles. "Well, that's natural-"

"B-but I'm really scared!" Alekel interrupts. "Whenever I see an undead, I just get terrified, and..." He stops, at a gesture from the woman.

"That's enough now." She says, holding up a hand. From beneath her rags protrudes a wizened old arm and hand - but a living hand. "It's normal for a person to be afraid of the unknown, but you've got to stand up for yourself boy. If not for your sake, then for the sake of those in your group!" Thoughout the speech, Alekel pays strict attention to the woman.

"R-right..." He says after she finishes. "Right... You're right!" He exclaims, holding himself up straight, possibly for the first time since the party has met him.

"I've got to go in there and help them!" Alekel says, and turns and goes through the door.

"That's the spirit!" The woman says softly, disappearing from view.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alekel's "Irrational Fear" flaw has been reduced from "panicked" to "frightened"

I'll give another post's time for Kel and the undead to catch up, if Vael decides not to interrupt Alekel.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-05-05 at 10:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Alazne creeps in slowly after Alekel, wondering what she was doing, but curious to see what she had not been followed outside. Maybe her companion had slain them all?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As Alazne follows Alekel back inside and to the right, she sees him stop a few feet in, looking ahead. Looking over his shoulder she sees dark shadows.

"Wraiths..." Alekel mutters. He twitches slightly, but stands up straight. "I've got to be brave!" He says, mostly to himself. Pulling out his longbow, Alekel speaks up.
    [hr]
    "Stop!" Kel hears Alekel's voice and the wight turns to see what is going on, as do the two wraiths. Through the door Kel can see the other undead watching, still interested in what is happening.

"Leave him alone!" The cleric calls to the undead. "We have no quarrel with you."

"More trespassers?" The dread wraith says, looking at Alekel, and then beyond him, at Alazne. "So that was the life I sensed before..."
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-05-05 at 10:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Kel', pleased at the distraction and opportunity ahouts into Alekel's and Alzane's heads, Do not attack!

Aloud he continues, You misunderstand. Surely a being such as yourself can see the differences between various undead. I seek a more specific form of transformation. I have nearly finished my study, but I believe the ritual is similar to becoming a lich, less powerful, but more easily achieved. And the participant can undergo it willingly, without all that nasty slaying bit.

I freely offer what knowledge of the process I possess, but I hope to be able to complete this knowledge myself. We Elves, though not immortal, like to finish what we start.

Kel' finally stands up and calmly looks the Wraith in the eye.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Alazne pauses, not wanting to let anyone else be aware of her presence. She looks straight at the wraith, her eyes narrow.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll ignore that we have two people looking the same wraith in the eye...

"...Go upstairs." The dread wraith replies. "They'll deal with you there."

The dread wraith and its follower then walk through walk through the inner wall into the room with the other undead, and keep walking past them into the next room. The undead who were previously watching return to their earlier positions, satisfied. The goblinoid wight turns back to Kel.

"Next door on the left." He says. "And nothing better 'slip out' between here and there."

21. - Top - End - #81

Unlike some others, I am always in control.

Kel' heads in the indicated direction.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Unlike some others indeed! Thinks Alazne to herself, taking offense and getting tempted to scorch them both right there, not realizing the irony of the combined thought and temptation. Glowering and still invisible, she skulks along behind Kel, ready to cast her fire magic at any time.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The group moves down the hall. Following the others, Alekel stops at Yoggy's body, leaning down to see if there is anything he can do for the downed ally.

"Leave him." The goblinoid wraith tells Alekel, and the cleric jumps up, frightened. "He belongs to us now." Alekel, shocked, nods and runs down the hall after Kel and Alazne.

The first door on the left opens into a large room not unlike the one the group just saw. However, there are no carpets in this room, and it is empty of undead. A raised platform stands in the "center" of the room like a stage, and to the left of the door are stairs going up to the next level.

The group heads upstairs, where the first thing they first see several undead. Most are dull gray humanoids, but the three in the center are unique - one like a skeleton, the other two ghost-like figures. Kel can tell these three are intelligent, while the others are not - though all are undead. Kel's mindsight picks up nothing else on this floor.

"We-he-he-hell! What do we have here?!" The skeleton says in a high-pitched, slightly-hysterical voice. Despite the pitch it sounds male albeit insane.

"Zombies." Alekel whispers to the group, pointing to the ones along the walls. "And I don't know what those three are." He says about the ones in the center.

"Looks like live food!" The skeleton says in uncontrollable glee. "Let's DIG IN!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Whew! New maps are tiring to make.

Roll initiative!
    13 Alekel (11+2)
    16 "M"
    27 "S"
    21 "S"
    4 "Z"
    12 "Z"
    11 "Z"
    5 "Z"
    18 "Z"
    0 "Z"
    14 "Z"
    8 "Z"

The "Z" are listed in clockwise order starting with the bottom-right one.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-05-07 at 10:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Alazne lets out a sigh and gets ready to fight.
    Initiative: 1d20+2=19

25. - Top - End - #85

Sighing in frustration, Kel' reminds himself of his goal, to kill the DM.

(1d20+13)[33]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Fortunately the DM is incorporeal, immune to damage and AoE effects, and has sky-high saves

Seriously though, I'm definately open to suggestions/requests/demands for how to improve the campaign (or just make it more fun). Just post 'em in the OOC thread.

Initiative:
    33 Kel
    27 "S1"
    21 "S2"
    19 Alazne
    18 "Z5"
    16 "M"
    14 "Z7"
    13 Alekel
    12 "Z2"
    11 "Z3"
    8 "Z8"
    5 "Z4"
    4 "Z1"
    0 "Z6"

I tried out a new style with the map, what do you think?

Kel wins initiative.

27. - Top - End - #87

Kel' casts Command Undead on the large talking skeleton.

DC 18.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately for Kel, the undead skeleton-thing has more than 12 HD.

On the one hand, I don't want a game that I'm DMing to be hated by everyone playing. On the other hand, I don't think the hand of God striking down your enemies would be a fair way to end this encounter...

In response to Kel's casting, the skeleton-creatures just laughs.

"Not good enough!" It calls out.

The two floating undead do nothing. The skeleton notices.

"Aren't you hungry?" It cries mockingly. The ghosts say nothing and don't move.

Alazne's turn.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Rolling her eyes with irritation and frustration, Alazne does the only thing she really knows how to do.
    Set things on fire.
    She sends a crackling, snarling burst of white flames into the room, sending them dancing from one side to the other.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast a Sculpted Empowered Searing Fiery Fire Substituted Lightning Bolts. Sculpted to be a 20ft radius spread, which is focused right under the skeleton (and thus should cover the entire room, but not hit us! Nifty, no?)
    Damage: 15d6+15=78
    Ignores fire resistance. Half damages to fire immune creatures.
    Reflex Save for half: DC 18

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Nifty indeed.

All 3 non-zombies made their reflex saves and take 39 damage each. All the zombies die outright.

With the casting of a spell, Alazne's invisibility wears off, revealing her to all around.

"Ouch!" The skeleton shouts in a shocked voice. "Screw this!"

So saying, it retreats. Kel is able to follow it with his mindsight through the tower. The two ghost-like creatures are all that remain.

"That... was incredible Alazne." Alekel whispers in a voice half-terrified and half filled with awe. Then one of the ghost-like creatures speak up.

"Kill him, please." The creatures begs.

"He's the one who made us..." The other continues. "...Like this." It finishes, gesturing to itself.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-05-12 at 11:33 PM.