New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default NPR.org Interview

Jamie and I were interviewed for "Intern Edition" on NPR.org. Here's the link:

http://www.npr.org/about/nextgen/int...08/blog/?p=961

(The audio is worth a listen, even though the transcript is there.)

Many thanks to NPR Intern Lindsay Totty, creator of the webcomic Lucky + Guy for the story.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: NPR.org Interview

Dude, that's inherently awesome. Congratulations! Perhaps you could end out making a living on this if the success and praise keeps pouring in.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I enjoyed reading the article, but where is the interview transcript?
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

4. - Top - End - #4
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    I enjoyed reading the article, but where is the interview transcript?
    The article is the transcript (well, sorta -- it's not in transcript format, but the content is pretty much the same).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Congratulations!
    You have now achieved "mainstream obscurity".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Congrats, I didn't realize you appeared in Time. Not that I consider that to be more significant than making the great comic, but it's a cool milestone.

Also, I'm so glad that Erfworld didn't inherent any of the, I don't know, atmosphere of pcclips? I read through the existing archive a long time ago, and I remember I left with a kind of forced smile that I had to shake off. It was funny, but also a little draining somehow. I don't remember it exactly, but Erfworld has never left me with that sensation. It's a great improvement, I think.

Good luck, man!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeku View Post
    Also, I'm so glad that Erfworld didn't inherent any of the, I don't know, atmosphere of pcclips?
    Well, they are very different comics. I still read Partially Clips and look forward to it, but it's best taken in small doses. Sometimes it doesn't work for me and sometimes it has me rolling on the floor. But Erfworld—while it doesn't always make me laugh, it invariably makes me think.

Anyway, congratulations to Rob and Jamie.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks, guys.

PartiallyClips and Erfworld are very different animals. I have on a completely different mindset when I write Erfworld scripts from when I take on a PartiallyClips strip.

PClips is like building a little toy out of spare parts from my junk drawer and seeing if it does anything interesting. But Erfworld's story and characters have such freight-train momentum at this point that all I can do is tweak a few buttons and levers, watch the gauges, and ride the brake as it plows onward to the end of the book.

Good thing I've always known where it's going, or I'd be scared boopless.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I find it somewhat odd that the article did not so much as mention that Erfworld runs on a site owned by another webcartoonist, or even mention the name "Giant in the Playground". I don't think anyone would dispute that Erfworld got a huge initial boost in visibility from being here, and it seems a little ungracious to not return the favor and at least name-drop Rich or OOTS when being discussed on a major website.

Although that may be the work of the interviewer; it's possible Rob and Jamie mentioned Rich but the interviewer simply excised all references to anyone other than the two of them.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

It would be interesting if a bunch of webcomic artists could get on one of the syndicated NPR shows like Talk of the Nation. Unfortunately, a lot of NPR programming is narrowcasted towards upper middle class white women. Well, at least it seems that way to me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    I find it somewhat odd that the article did not so much as mention that Erfworld runs on a site owned by another webcartoonist, or even mention the name "Giant in the Playground".
    Although that may be the work of the interviewer; it's possible Rob and Jamie mentioned Rich but the interviewer simply excised all references to anyone other than the two of them.
    We did. The interviewer did ask. We talked extensively about Rich and GiantITP.com and how that came to be.

But this was nearly four hours of interview condensed to 3 minutes or so. We were also dismayed that there was no mention of our other projects, and at a lot of the other stuff which got left out, too. That's life.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

It is nice to see that Erfworld got a bit of publicity in more 'mainstream'-media.
    But if I hadn't known Erfworld already, the few bits in this article about the comic would have hardly caught my attention.

OTOH, npr.org is not my kind of news-site, so I have no idea what sort of people you can reach there

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    this was nearly four hours of interview condensed to 3 minutes
    Is there any chance to see the rest of the interview somewhere ?
    Last edited by hajo; 2008-04-05 at 07:30 AM.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

We did. The interviewer did ask. We talked extensively about Rich and GiantITP.com and how that came to be.

But this was nearly four hours of interview condensed to 3 minutes or so. We were also dismayed that there was no mention of our other projects, and at a lot of the other stuff which got left out, too. That's life.
    I do some work as a radio journalist in Norway, and that is a classical dilemma: You always have a limited frame, you need the soundbyte. If the Giant or OOTS had been kept in as topics, that would have removed the focus from you and Jamie AND it would need twice the time. Still, five minutes on NPR... That's really good.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Fair enough. I sort of figured it might be something like that.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.