New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The first of Lharvion

The flaming creature manages to dodge Hammer's fist and Chiron's weapons, but the arrows manage to strike their target and Merash's bolt appears to do the same. The strang creature attempts to strike Chiron before attempting to move out of close quarters.

(assuming no AOOs drop it) The humanoid flame moves surprisingly fast, certainly faster than an ordinary human.

2. - Top - End - #92

(Assuming we get AoOs)

Hammer lunges as the creature tries to escape.

(1d20+1)[4]- attack
    (1d6+3)[8]- damage
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

3. - Top - End - #93

* post roll count doesn't match database
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

4. - Top - End - #94

Unharmed by the fiery burst (though anything stronger than that short gout of flame would have overwhelmed him just as easily as others), Chiron uses the opportunity to strike at the fleeing elemental. If that scimitar slash doesn't drop it, he lets go of his mace, draws his dagger and throws it despite the long distance involved.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No clue what went wrong with my last post...
    attack scimitar - (1d20+3)[14]
    dmg scimitar - (1d6+2)[3]
    5-foot step before attacking with the dagger, 4 range increments I think (or more if the creature is faster than I think, +3-4x2)
    attack daggerthrow - (1d20-5)[-1]
    dmg daggerthrow - (1d4+2)[6]
    - Khorn'Tal
    Kalar Eshanti

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+2)[11]
    (1d6)[2]

Snarling and hissing in pain, Khurr stumbles beneath the suddenly blistering sun and shambles forward, wracked by agony. Huffing and short of breath, she lobs her short spear at the fire-creature but its flint-carven head sinks into the dust a foot away from her target.

((Khurr barely succeeded on her reflex save earlier... what's half damage of 7? 3 or 4?))
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2008-06-02 at 10:43 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

Rhabin moves up gracefully and attempts to put another arrow in the creature.

Hit(1d20+3)[19]
    Dam(1d8+1)[6]
    Will be away for the month of July, working at Camp

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Rhabin in "The first of Lharvion"
    Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"
    "When the Voice Whispers"

Escaping Purgatory

Avatar done by the Illustrious Dr. Bath
    Shrike, Thaddius, if we get through this, remind me to kill every frightened old man we come across just to be safe.~Morituri

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Merash
    Still singed from the fiery cone Merash Quickly reloads his crossbow and looses another bolt at the flaming creature.
    Spoiler
    Show
    attack - (1d20+3)[20] damage - (1d8)[2]
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

8. - Top - End - #98

Both Chiron and Hammer fail to strike the walking flame. Chiron's dagger nearly falls straight to the ground after leaving his hand. Khurr's spear falls short of the flaming creature, but Merash's bolt appears to hit the creature and Rhabin's arrow flies straight through it.

The humanoid fire falls to the ground, beginning to diminish. Other militia members arrive at the scene shortly, wondering what had caused all the chaos. The once animate flame extinguishes, leaving behind an unusual pearl-like object nearly the size of a human fist.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Bastiaan Ventre
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP 9/9;
    AC 15, t12, ff 13

Shaking his head, the young man strides over towards the large pearl. "Well, there's something you don't see everyday," he says with a grin for his companions. "Any ideas what it is?" he asks as he bends down to get a better look at the item.

Spoiler
    Show
    Appraise - (1d20+2)[9]
    KnowledgeArcana - (1d20+4)[15]
    KnowledgeDungeoneering - (1d20+4)[20]
    KnowledgeHistory - (1d20+4)[22]
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

10. - Top - End - #100

While inspecting the "pearl", Bastiaan notices etchings which he easily recognizes as magical writing. Thinking about it, he has heard about similar objects being found in the remains of other creatures, and wizards and artificiers are often eager to acquire them.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Bastiaan Ventre
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP 5/9;
    AC 15, t12, ff 13

After a brief puzzled look, replaced with one of understanding, Bastiaan picks up the lump and holds it out for the others to see. "I think it's akin to a scroll. I don't know of what, but if it could be deciphered, I'm sure a few of us could utilize it."
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-06-05 at 03:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

can I cast read magic on the pearl to understand what it is?

Also, can I make another knowledge check to identify the creature?

Religion:(1d20+3)[20]
    Planes:(1d20+3)[19]

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

Shrike, Thaddius, if we get through this, remind me to kill every frightened old man we come across just to be safe.~Morituri

13. - Top - End - #103

Hammer

Looking with interest at the pearl, Hammer tries to dredge up his memories of this sort of object.

Know: Arcana: (1d20+7)[9]
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

14. - Top - End - #104

Rhabin casts a spell and instantly becomes aware of the meaning of the "pearl"'s etchings. They discribe the process of casting a spell to speed up the targets, including all of the components, but it is clear that the "pearl" itself does not hold the power of this spell.

As Rhabin inspects the pearl, an irritated halfling, easily recognized as the healer Oscar D'Jorasco, approaches from the direction the flaming humanoid had come from. "Militia all over town and of course they frget to be where the problems actually happen. Did you at least stop it before it made my job harder still?" Some of the militiamen who had approached from the other direction slowly retreat in the same way, while others make excuses to leave. The halfling's eyes soon settle on Khurr. "Ah, Khurr. Glad to see somebody on the militia who knows more than how to harm others. Would you mind helping me with the ones that thing hurt before you showed up?"

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Rhabin bristles at the halflings words.

I suppose you expect us to be in all places all the time then. It is hard enough trying to keep these damnable creatures down as they pop up all over town without you adding criticism. This is the third one today all in different parts of the town. You should focus on the fish on your own line before trying to clean your neighbours. With that said, if there are injured perhaps I can be of help. My Mistress has granted me some measure of power in healing.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

16. - Top - End - #106

Chiron walks back to pick up his dagger, though he stays away from the pearl. He didn't really enjoy fighting fire creatures, at least not those that he drew his powers from. But with the safety of the town at stake, there would be no choice in the matter. "We're following orders. If you have a complaint, you're free to complain with Captain Brevis," he answers the halfling in a strange mixture of stern and haughty tone.
    - Khorn'Tal
    Kalar Eshanti

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

"Hoy Jorasco!" Khurr calls out, smiling despite her pain. Patting out the last remaining fires on her leathern dress, and retrieving her spear from the dust, she uses it as a walking stick and hobbles up to the halfling. Looking at the little man and where he came from worriedly, the shifter druid asks, "Who's hurt, and where?"

Flashing a wan smile at Bastiaan, Khurr says, "Hey chief. Don't worry. Mehopes this won't take long but I'll be back, donnayewarreh!"

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Bastiaan Ventre
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP 5/9;
    AC 15, t12, ff 13

The young man smiles at the shifter. "Of course, Khurr. Do what you must. We're off the clock anyway. Shall we rejoin for dinner and ale when you finish?"

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Merash

That sound like a good plan there, we'll all go our separate ways for now and then meet up later for something to eat, well unless andother one come through before of course

Just before he turns to go, Merash looks at the halfling and says
    Some people might say that speaking ill of thopse charged to protect you could lead to problems, especially when, like you said, they knopw nothing but violence and death. But then again those that would say that are usally the sort that you may need protection from in the first place.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Leaning on both her growling dog and hobbling on her spear, Khurr glares at the halfling and says, "Well, be folk hurt or not? Be we goin' a-healin' an' helpin' soonwise? And listen to 'em, li'l man... they gots good point'n wot they's said"

Giving a wan wink to her comrades, she calls over her shoulder, "Back at the tavern at after twilight, eh boys?"

21. - Top - End - #111

The halfling nods, clearly slightly upset. "I know I shouldn't be yelling at you. I was just angry." Oscar admits The Healers' Guild wasn't expecting much trouble on the first day of the month, and we had the same expectations on where the problems would begin as Brevis did.".He stops for a moment, evidentally attempting to calm himself down. Eventually he looks at Khur and begins to speak again, "The injured are this way. The ones who weren't immediately killed aren't in much immediate danger, but I could use help tending to their burns and making sure the heat doesn't do them in." Turning to look at the rest of the group, the small healer adds, "I'd appreciate that help you offered elf. Also, it would be nice if somebody were to inform other members of The Healers' Guild that their help is requested."

((Would everybody not helping the injured please post what they plan to do before meeting back up?))

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Heal checks! (I mean, seriously, I don't think these things only apply to stabilizing the dying!)

(1d20+8)[9]
    (1d20+8)[25]
    (1d20+8)[21]

CLW! (1d8+1)[8]

"Killed? That burning... thing took folk out?" Khurr blurts out before she reins in her tongue. Gasping from her own burns, she quickly amends, "Then again, I came close to the brink too, that blighter near made a roast of me!"

Hissing and spitting but otherwise bearing her pain stoically, she follows the Jorasco halfling to where the injured lie. There she takes out her bandages and her poultices and fixes them up as best she could. At one point, when she encounters someone gravely burnt, a fresh wind suddenly stirs the air and a power from Eberron itself flows through her hands and knits the wounds back together, turning charred flesh into naught but pink scars.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

Rhabin goes with the halfling to where the wounded have been brought. Moving quickly among them he looks for who is most wounded, and then uses his remaining Cure Light Wounds on them, following with a SMW on 3 others in need.

From there he uses his healing skill to try to care for others.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

24. - Top - End - #114

Hammer goes with the healers- not because he has any skill of his ownthere, but because it is the position at the most risk if attacked, and the healers will surely be preoccupied.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Bastiaan Ventre
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP 5/9;
    AC 15, t12, ff 13

Bastiaan shakes his head as a few of the group join the healer. He winces slightly as he turns to walk back home to freshen up before rejoining the others for dinner and drinks. Those burns kinda sting. he thinks to himself with a chuckle.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-06-24 at 03:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116

"I see..." Chiron says, nodding seriously as he thinks about the dead. May the gods of the night give safe passage to their eternal souls. "Don't worry about it, you have every right to be angry. I will go with you and see if I can help the wounded in any way that I can. If that is fine with you, Khurr," the young man adds.

Assisting where he can, changing bandages and employing what little of ground herbs he has in his backpack, he spends as much time as needed to make sure the wounded are taken care of. Mentally scolding himself, he feels a bit guilty, even ashamed. This was a war after all, not a stage, and where he saw beauty in the dancing flames, others saw only the terrible, burning death. "It's all wrong," he thinks aloud, to no one in particular.

OOC: take 10 on heal to aid Khurr with treating the wounds (result of 17)
    - Khorn'Tal
    Kalar Eshanti

27. - Top - End - #117

For Breten, Nexus, KIDS and MorkaisChosen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Yes, unfortunately three were killed before anything could be done for them." notes the halfling grimly. Thinking for a moment, he adds "What worries me most is that one of the dead ones wasn't burnt at all. Something else must have killed him."

Thanks to Rabin and Khur's help, most of the injured civilians regained conciousness quickly, while the rest got through the worst of their injuries. Somebody hands Khur a few gold pieces, but she can't tell who it was. Afterward, Oscar shows them the one he had mentioned, A human male who seemed to be almost completely unburnt, save for two spots on his side.

Nothing attacked, sorry MorkaisChosen.

For GimliFett
    Spoiler
    Show

Bastiaan doesn't see anything interresting. Sorry.

I wonder what Rumda will have Merash do...
    Last edited by Hyozo; 2008-06-24 at 05:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

Spoiler
    Show
    No worries, just covering the bases- efficient, logical and in-character was the idea...

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Merash

As Merash walks away form the healers back home wincing a little from his burns, he suddenly stops and begins searching his pockets, finally withdrawing an old looking piece of paper, which has been miraculously escaped damage from the flames of the creature, sitting down in the shade of a building he begins to read it.

30. - Top - End - #120

Rumda
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing interresting happens to Merash. Sorry.

Unless somebody wants to say something, let's skip ahead to when they meet back up afterwards.