New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: The Red Hand of Doom

"Crazed horses probably, not all of us can have loyal paladin mounts." Phalius grins at Laius, "Strange, he seems distracted by something"

Spoiler
    Show
    For comedy's sake, I suggest right after that whatever is going to happen happens, I'd sure love to have Phalius squeal like a girl.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gelu keeps his eyes on the strange head, slowly bring his bow to his hands and notching an arrow. He prepares himself to shoot as soon as the slightest sign of movement is noticed. He whispers back to the party, but his eyes never leave the reptile.

This wreckage may not be as abandoned as it looks. There's some kind of lizard up there, and I don't like the way it's eyeing us.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readying an action to Rapid Shot the reptile if it moves towards us.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

"Reptile? Yer jus' seein' things. Too much time in the sun, I think." Dalor says haphazardly, not noticing the giant thing that's going to treat him like a mid afternoon snack.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

"To arms, comrades!" Laius hisses through his helm as the visor clangs shut with a nod and his lance comes down to a ready position.

"Beware yon serpentkin!" he says, pointing out the beast with his lance's glittering head.

"Blight!" he mutters under his breath as he realizes that a charge across a bog would be tantamount to suicide. His hands work quickly, holstering the lance and readying sling and bullet.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Detect Evil on the beast... and
    (1d20+1)[18] Int check to identify

Also, ready action to loose a potshot at it with the sling, if it makes any hostile move))
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2008-04-27 at 02:32 PM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

Varech shades his eyes and squints over at the wreckage, looking for the creature the others are debating.

"Come, Dalor," he says as he looks, "if we're not going to listen to our woodcrafty friend on matters like this, why do we put up with him at all?" His tone is entirely deadpan.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+2)[13]
    If Varech sees it, he'll try to Identify - (1d20+1)[6] it. If by some fluke Knowledge (psionics) is relevant to the attempt, add 11 to the check.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

"I jus' can't be jumpin' anytime someone says 'boo!' " Dalor says, equiping his axe and shield. "Though, you're probably right... Gelu dun' miss much."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

The head pulls up one scaly lip to reveal rows of ivory teeth, then slides back into the water (Gelu and Laius can attack if they want, even if every attack hits the head still slithers under water) with hardly a ripple.

There is a long, quet moment, the insects and frogs going still and silence hangs over the bog...

And then in a fury of water and flying mud, six reptilian heads burst from the water next to the causeway, roars echoing through the quiet Wood. Phailus screams and clutches at himself as the heads whip around, long teeth gnashing hungrily.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hydra Initiative= 9

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalor is taken aback slightly before squinting at the multi-headed beast... "Well come on then! Yer mother was a cave troll!"

Spoiler
    Show

Dalor's Initiative
    (1d20+5)[15]

9. - Top - End - #189

Imp

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TehJhu View Post
    Phailus screams and clutches at himself as the heads whip around, long teeth gnashing hungrily.
    Appreciated :P
    inititaive: (1d20+2)[7]
    ranged touch attack: (1d20+6)[24]
    damage: (4d6)[18]

"My god what a terrible beast" None the less, Phalius invokes the power he knows so well to attack the beast. Having done that he also draws his dagger and moves out of the beast's way, behind Dalor or someone equally tough. "Let's see how it copes with fire and steel though."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

(Battle Map)
    Spoiler
    Show

You're all standing on the causeway at the southernmost side, give me an idea where you want to start and I'll mark it appropriately. The Hydra is on the west side, next to all of you.
    Last edited by TehJhu; 2008-04-27 at 03:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Dalor'd probably be second in line... since Jarr was leading us... and I'd imagine Laius would be up in front in all his noble glory

12. - Top - End - #192

Imp

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess I'll be standing at the far right of the grass one square up. just next to the causeway.

13. - Top - End - #193

Instinct and training take over and Varech's reaction betrays none of his surprise. He shifts his footing and begins to weave a waiting pattern with the tip of his spear, looking for an opportunity to strike.

Spoiler
    Show
    Varech, I guess, can have been at the rear of the group, on the west side of the causeway.

Initiative - (1d20+2)[15]
    Doesn't move, uncovers weapon.
    Ready an action to five-foot-step toward the hydra once it's close enough to attack, then strike at the hydra, power attacking for -2/+4.
    Attack - (1d20+6)[23]
    Damage - (2d4+8)[15]
    Confirm - (1d20+6)[8]
    Critical - (2d4+8)[15]

On the off chance that the hydra provokes any AoOs, Varech can take up to three of them per round. He won't power attack on any of those, making it 1d20+8 to attack and 2d4+4 to damage.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

"BURN, FOUL BEAST!" Laius yells as he whirls his trusty sling and looses a shot at the incoming reptile's torso, aiming for its foul heart. The lump of lead bursts into magical flames as it leaves the sling's tongue and shatters into flying shards of jagged metal when it hits the hydra's tough scaled hide.

Though the shot was true, the beast still surges forward, roaring and spitting with all its six befanged maws. The halfling paladin fumbles with the sling's reloading and looses a second shot but it goes wide, splooshing with a puff of steam as it sinks harmlessly into the swamp.

Spoiler
    Show

Position: L-4 (right lane of causeway, twenty feet up)

Initiative (1d20+1)[10]

Full Attack with Flaming Sling
    (1d20+9)[29] first attack roll
    (1d20+9)[10] first crit threat
    (1d3+2)[3] first mundane damage roll
    (1d6)[6] first mystical (flame) damage roll

(1d20+4)[6] second attack roll
    (1d20+4)[13] second crit threat
    (1d3+2)[3] second mundane damage roll
    (1d6)[4] second mystical (flame) damage roll

Ride check, if necessary
    (1d20+8)[11]

Quote Originally Posted by SamTheCleric View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dalor'd probably be second in line... since Jarr was leading us... and I'd imagine Laius would be up in front in all his noble glory
    You just haaaad to say that, didn't ye? I hope Yondalla pities him for having just 22 AC and 35 HP...
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2008-04-28 at 07:23 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:(1d20+7)[19]
    Gelu will be one square to the right of the causeway, and 4 squares up.

Gelu gasps in shock as what appeared to be a simple beast turned into a horrible monster. He regains his composure quickly, letting loose 3 arrows in quick succession, all aimed for the beast's heart.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rapid Shot:
    Attack 1:(1d20+7)[17]
    Attack 2:(1d20+7)[13]
    Attack 3:(1d20+2)[16]
    Damage 1:(1d8+2)[9]
    Damage 2:(1d8+2)[4]
    Damage 3:(1d8+2)[5]
    Last edited by Incarnum3; 2008-04-28 at 08:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

"Now that's one ugly beastie..." Dalor charges to the nearest open square, soaking up whatever tasty attack of opportunity the hydra decides to take.

Spoiler
    Show

+2 for charge, -4 for power attack
    (1d20+9)[16](25)
    (1d10+10)[19]

17. - Top - End - #197

Imp

Just realized I never actually said I would cast scorching ray, but I did anyway, hitting an armor class of 24 for 18 damage.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Round 1:
    Spoiler
    Show

Jorr fires at the hydra and misses.

Gelu fires at the hydra and hits twice, dealing 14 points of damage.

Varech attacks the hydra and hits, dealing 15 points of damage.

Dalor charges the hydra and hits, dealing 19 points of damage.

Laius fires at the hydra and hits once, dealing 9 points of damage.

The hydra attacks: Gelu and misses; Varech and hits, dealing 10 points of damage; Dalor and hits, dealing 10 points of damage; Laius and hits, dealing 12 points of damage; Jorr and hits, dealing 8 points of damage, and Dalor and misses.

The hydra's wounds begin to seal themselves with amazing speed.

Phailus casts scorching ray at the hydra and hits, dealing 18 points of damage.

End of Round 1.

As the hydra bursts from the mud roaring in hunger, the party leaps into action. Gelu, Laius and Jorr loose their projectiles over their allies heads. Jorr's shot goes wide and the old ranger curses the luck as he reloads. Two of Gelu's arrows sink to the fletching in the beasts rubbery hide as Laius' rock explodes with fire against the bulk of the monster.

Varech closes with the hydra and jabs his guisarme out to the fullest extension of his arms, the blade and shaft sink into the flesh between two of the hydra's necks, Varech can feel it scrape painfully against bones and internal organs as he drives it deeper. Dalor's sturdy form appears next to the warrior and his axe cuts a massive gouge into the beast's flesh, black ichor pours out over the causeway and into the water.

The hydra, stunned by the ferocity of the attack, returns in kind. Its snapping heads whip forward in unison. Gelu has time to duck the snapping jaws of one head. Varech, his attention focused on driving his weapon into the monster, does not. Its needle-like teeth sink into Varech's shoulder.

Dalor is also bitten, the head darting in from his right and snapping closed on his armor hard enough to pierce the sturdy metal. As the head pulls back, dwarven blood mixes with the ichor that stains the thirsty wood of the causeway. A second head comes in from the dwarf's left, but he bats it aside with his shield.

Laius looks up from reloading his sling to see the dull bllack eyes of the hydra's fifth head locked with his. Before the halfling can react, the head darts in, quick as lightning and clamps onto his arm, its teeth sinking into his bicep, trying to rip off his arm. Laius grunts in pain and his faithful dog leaps up, scratching at the monster. It does no real damage, but drives the beast off of Laius (missed crit confirm). The final head snaps at Jorr, who's old muscles can't move him out of the way fast enough and his blood joins the other's on the causeway.

As the hydra's heads lash out in attack, the spouting wounds caused by Varech and Dalor staunch themselves and rapidly begin to close up.

Finally, Phailus sees his opening and shoots forth a scorching ray from his palm. The fire sears the monster's skin and boils the water around it as it roars with six enraged voices.

Spoiler
    Show
    Go for round 2... and damn, yall almost one-rounded my hydra there.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, but to move or charge while fighting on the causeway requires a Balance check against DC 10. I won't bother with it for the 1st round since I forgot, but from now on if you move more than a 5ft adjustment plz make the check...not that I expect the poor bastard to last much longer.
    Last edited by TehJhu; 2008-04-28 at 10:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

"Hrrr-aagh!" Laius hisses against the abominable agony as the beast's rot-blacked needle teeth sink into his arm, penetrating the pauldron's protection and ripping loose a large chunk of flesh. Truefang rears, snaps and swats at the sinuous neck and drives it away from ripping his master's off. He gasps with pain as the beast's head pulls free, ripping his flesh even more. His shield sags and he struggles to bring it back up to guard but fails.

His small chest pounding against the breastplate of his suit of armour, Laius grits his teeth against the pain and drops both sling and shield. Reaching back, he sweeps the Longlance free of its harness and grips the hard haft in both hands.

Laius leans forward in the saddle and stabs twice with the enchanted weapon, aiming for the heart and guts. "May the Blessed Blade harrow you with withering winters, foul vermin scum!"

Spoiler
    Show

Position L-4
    Actions: Drop shield and sling. Full attack with lance. Use lance's reach.
    AC 22
    HP 23

(1d20+10)[12] First attack roll
    (1d20+10)[14] First crit check
    (1d6+3)[4] First mundane damage check (THF)
    (1d6+1)[4] First mystic damage check (1d6 frost and +1 enhancment)

(1d20+5)[21] Second attack roll
    (1d20+5)[15] Second crit check
    (1d6+3)[4] Second mundane damage check (THF)
    (1d6+1)[4] Second mystic damage check (1d6 frost, +1 enhancment)

Puny! Well, at least no critical fumble this time. So... that's 8 points of nearly-sure damage, right?
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2008-04-29 at 01:58 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200

Imp

Seeing the beast lash out at his comrades Phalius looks over his comrades to see if he can help them, the beast already being quelled by their onslaught. "Nothing for me to do, I couldn't even heal a papercut, and that creature's as good as dead, who knows though, there could be more." Phalius looks around the marsh attempting to find any other creatures like it.
    "Watch out, that might not be the last of it." he says to his comrades.

Spoiler
    Show
    If for some reason the hydra is still alive ignore all that and I'll shoot a magic missile at him.(3d4+1)[10]
    Otherwise active listen and spot. (1d20-1)[12](1d20-1)[11]

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

"Its wounds are closin' up faster than a troll in heat... what manner of beast is this? How do we kill it?" Dalor exclaims before swinging at the Hydra twice more.

Spoiler
    Show

-2 for Power Attack
    (1d20+9)[24]
    (1d10+8)[15]

(1d20+4)[7]
    (1d10+8)[12]

22. - Top - End - #202

Varech grunts as one of the darting heads snaps at him and finds its mark. He has learned to defend against many enemies at once, but to face one mind controlling so many weapons is outside his experience. Bringing his spear around he butts away the head with the haft before swinging again at the still-wounded body.

"It still shows its hurts. We may hope to overwhelm its healing!" he calls to Dalor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+8)[20]
    Damage - (2d4+4)[9]
    Confirmation - (1d20+8)[24]
    Critical - (2d4+4)[7]
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2008-04-29 at 12:48 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gelu gracefully dodges the gnashing teeth of the hydra, ducking the sweeping head with a smile. He comes back up, but the smile vanishes as he sees the injuries inflicted upon his allies. His bow snaps back into his hands, 3 more arrows flying towards the beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rapid Shot. Am I within 30 feet or not? If so, add +1 to each attack roll.
    Attack 1:(1d20+7)[19]
    Attack 2:(1d20+7)[21]
    Attack 3:(1d20+2)[6]
    Damage 1:(1d8+2)[8]
    Damage 2:(1d8+2)[6]
    Damage 3:(1d8+2)[7]

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

The first two of Gelu's arrows strike deep in the hydra's body. Its heads jerk wildly as vital organs are punctured. The deluge of strikes from Dalor, Varech, and Laius all impact solidly, hammering the monster so that not even its amazingly fast healing can keep up with them. It gives on final roar, and then collapses, its body splayed out across the shallow mud of the bog and its heads lying across the walkway, thick black blood oozes from the corpse.

Phailus looks out across the suddenly quiet swamp but sees no further threat.

25. - Top - End - #205

Imp

"Well that went as well as any of us could of hoped, I'm glad we managed to overwhelm it before it had another chance to attack." Phalius looks around at the injuries of his companions, seeing most of them severely hurt. He takes out a wand and hands it to Gelu, knowing that Laius has his own.
    "Perhaps you could put this to use? Since I am uninjured I will check out that wagon." Phalius then crosses to the patch of grass to the west and heads towards the wagon, attempting to stay on solid ground and keep his robes clean. however he is unable to keep his robes from skimming over molehills of mud, raised slightly from the ground. Climbing onto the wagon Phalius searches it for signs of life, and failing that signs of ownership.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search (d20)[8]
    Last edited by Orran; 2008-04-30 at 07:37 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

"Just a lil bite, 'ere." Dalor continues to watch the Hydra, ensuring that it is dead and that there arent any more in the water.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20)[1]
    Last edited by SamTheCleric; 2008-04-30 at 07:39 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207

Varech lets out a long breath as he comes down from the tension of battle.

"I am hurt, but not badly. Indeed, we were fortunate to have seen the beast before it could surprise us utterly."

He keeps an eye on Phalius as the mage ventures out into the bog. Once either of the healers has tended to him, he will join him at the cart.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+2)[10]
    Search - (1d20+1)[2]

Forgot to put status into the combat posts - currently Varech is on 32 hp.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

"Yondalla be praised for this victory..." mutters the exiled prince.

Stowing his lance away and retrieving his fallen shield and sling, Laius heaves a heavy sigh and rides over to Dalor, Varech and Jorr. He draws his wand of healing and strokes it gently across their wounds. The tip of the wand flares with white flame as the flesh beneath seals together as Yondalla's granted power slowly yet surely flows into them.

"May the Hallowed Horn so heal thy harrowed hurts. Amen." he chants over everybody he helps. After he ministers to his injured comrades, he placesa hand on his own torn upper arm, gasping as the sinews and skin supernaturally come together once more.

Spoiler
    Show

Healing:
    CMW on Dalor (2d8+1)[7]
    CMW on Varech (2d8+1)[9]
    CMW on Jorr (2d8+1)[9]
    Lay on Hands, 12 points on Laius

Listen (1d20+3)[12]
    Spot (1d20+1)[12]

29. - Top - End - #209

"My thanks," Varech tells Laius, testing his healed shoulder. The bite-marks and torn flesh have given way to mild bruises. The warrior takes up his weapon and moves to step off the causeway, but then pauses and turns to Jorr.

"Do you know anything of this wreck?" he asks. "It seems likely any on it were killed - we seem well on our way to becoming the death's heralds for Drellin's Ferry. Have you met or seen sign of survivors, before we go seeking for the fallen?"

Spoiler
    Show
    41/42hp, thanks Laius!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jorr nods his thanks to Laius for the healing and knocks another arrow, watching the corpse warily. When asked about the carriage he glances at it and shrugs, "Never seen it 'afrore."

The wagon dosn't seem to be human made, pushing around in it you find several partially rotted hobgoblin skeletons in rusting armor. One catches you eye, though, and you manage to yank and breastplate out of the muck, wiping it off, Dalor recognizes the metal as mithril.