New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Chestworld: The Shining Army IC

The day is dawning in Brellia, and just to the north of the walled city of Quain a battalion of men led by Contessa D'Mora, the King's general, are breaking camp. This battalion has traveled from the heart of the nation, all the way from the capitol city to one of the most remote regions of the land. 100 strong men and women stand ready to live and die by their swords, for the good of the kingdom. Over the course of the next several months, they will be plunged into a war none of them wanted, and will be forced to kill or be killed. Many poor choices will be made that will result in unnecessary death, and bonds of love and hatred, of rivalry and trust, will be formed, some that will remain for decades to come. And from among their number, perhaps someday a hero will emerge; a champion who will bring peace back to the warring nation and deliver it's people from sorrow. Or perhaps not. Not all stories end happily.

This is not their story, and it does not begin here.

Our story begins in a small tent on the outskirts of the battalion's campsite, where a hodgepodge of men and women of all shapes and sizes, from all walks of life, have been assembled and are currently standing in front of a rather irate female halfling with long, firey red hair she keeps woven into a ponytail. Contessa D'Mora, the King's general, stares up at her recruits. "So these are what I've been given to work with, eh?" She sauntered back around a table and stood up on a chair to face you all. "Huh, pups. I doubt any of you have ever seen a REAL fight, but I suppose you will have to do." She reached into her backpack and removed a large map of the area, breaking the wax seal and unrolling it.

"As you all probably know, the stated goal of this military force has been to enter the city of Quain and put down the pockets of civil unrest that are plaguing the city. Now, I know that rumors have been spreading about a secret mission of some sort that we've also been sent here to accomplish. I don't know exactly how much has leaked out, but let me confirm the rumors: We have discovered the personal abode of the great wizard Erasmus, the mage out of that old Brellian fairy tale about the army of demons."

She crossed her arms and frowned. "Just in case you grew up in a backwater somewhere, I'll review the basics: The great wizard, for a modest fee, called forth an invincible, radiant army from within a small chest of shaped ebony, which drove back the foul demons that had invaded the countryside. In doing so, he saved the world, and once the job was done, sealed the army back inside the chest." Leaning down, she moved her hand along the map. "Afterwards, he retreated back to his hidden abode, and withdrew from the affairs of men. After three hundred years, his estate, and the magical chest within it, were thought to be lost forever. However, we've finally found it. And now it's YOUR job to enter the forgotten tower, secure the chest, and return after unlocking it's secrets."

She cleared her throat. "We don't know much about the situation inside. Erasmus had few guests, and fewer friends. All we really know about him personally comes from children's tales. All I can tell you is the location of his tower, and that knowledge must remain confidential. Die before you speak of it to another. If others knew of it's location, they would race to plunder it's secrets." With some ink and a quill pen, she marked down a black "X" on the map, to the south west of Quain, within the swamps of the region. "While the rest of the Battalion marches into Quain, the seven of you must depart and enter the swamps while there is still shadow enough to hide your passage. Make your way through the swamps and enter the tower. From there, you will have to think on your feet."

"Just so you understand the gravity of this situation, I will be clear: The fate of the kingdom may very well rest on your shoulders. Recover the chest as soon as possible, and return to the capitol city with it. Every day wasted may mean more lives lost. But before the operation begins, I believe some introductions are in order. Want my advice? Get to know each other, learn to trust each other, and figure out how to work together. Fast. Your lives may depend on it." Snatching the map up with one arm, she looked back up at the group and waved an arm. "Each of you will state your name and profession now. Also, should you have any questions about your mission, the tactical details involved, or anything else, I will hear them now." Tossing her hair, she frowned up at the party.
    Last edited by Taren; 2008-07-10 at 05:10 PM.
    Eventually I'll return. Eventually.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Chestworld: The Shining Army IC

Calli contentedly watches General Contessa D'Mora as she explains the situation to the group.

At the end of D'Mora's speech, Calli quickly steps forward, looking at D'Mora, then turns to the other six in the room. Calli Pent. I'll be your rogue for this adventure. Turning back to the General. What about the disease ridden mosquitoes I've heard about within this region? I didn't bring any repellant, nor antidote. She says this with a slight smile, she can't help but smile at D'Mora.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Previously leaning back in his chair, Arthur puts all four of the legs on the ground. Hello, My name is Arthur and I'm... a conjuror. Ha... Too Soon? Either way I'm happy to help... well as long as my crazed search for infinite power is not interupted... See, got you again. No, seriously though.
    Credit to Mr_Saturn for the fantastic avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

The white haired Gnome carefully picks up his drink and takes a sip. closes his eyes, sheds a light frown as he looks around, followed by a rather hastily spewed "Zeek. Weaver of the Black ::Belch:: Arts". Now, about that modest fee we get for storming the ::Belch:: ancient bastion-arcana that is likely filled to the brim with-the-Gods-only-know-what in store for any would-be ::Burp:: adventurer?
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Beloth, who was standing there stern and silent, would speak with a firm voice, showing he was well disciplined. But what did you expect from a monk with no hair on the top of his head.

"You may call me Beloth, Monk of Bahamut." Folding his arms, he would leave it at that.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Contessa chuckles and looks over at Zeek. "Motivated by greed. I remember when I was like that. You will be paid quite handsomely, shaper of the rude arts... AFTER you return with the chest. Coin shall not be wasted on those that may die, only on those hardy enough to return." She shrugs. "If you are dissatisfied with that, you are welcome to leave. Of course, if what my officers told me is true, I wouldn't expect the man who came barging into our camp demanding to be part of team to explore Erasmus' tower to just wander off like that."

Turning to Calli, her expression softens a bit. Just slightly. "You need not fear them, young one. We have managed to do SOME intelligence, at least. There are herbs that grow in the region that, when ground into a salve and rubbed on bare skin, serve to ward off common bugs and insects. Before we saw fit to begin this mission, we purchased enough for each of you from some of the locals living outside of Quain. So long as none of your bathe before reaching the tower, you should be safe. Speaking of provisions..." She turns to Arthur and walked along the table, removing a torn, rolled up piece of parchment from her backpack. "I know, and care, little of magic, but the Divinatrix in Brellia's employ has informed us that the tower is shielded with a spell of some sort that...discourages... anyone who would approach it. She has provided us with a spell that should allow you all entry. Hold onto it well, Conjourer, and use it when the time is right." She reached up and pressed the scroll into the man's hands, making sure he gripped it tightly. "That is that. Any further questions?"

7. - Top - End - #7

Smiling, and no longer acting drunk, Zeek looks at the Contess with a smile and says, your terms are more than acceptable. What is this scroll? I am curious as to the contents of your divineering report. Asides from that, about how long will it take us to reach the tower?
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Assuming he can speak now," I am Vincent Ungart, dwarven Knight of Moradin I am really only good for hitting things with my axe, and I do my best if I am using my melee weapon." Vincent stands up and begins to walk up to the person at the head of the table, "It is an honor to help anyone in need let alone an entire nation," Vincent says with a firm handshake and a bow to Contessa.
    Last edited by GhosTim15; 2008-07-11 at 02:02 AM.
    MY FAVORITE COMIC!!
    The alternative - a Belkar who lusts after me- is too horrific to contemplate.
    Amen, So that explains why ye just Charmed a muskrat into humpin' Belkar's bare feet.
    Hmm? Oh, no, that is merely for my personal amusement.
    What the-- Arrgh! Get off! Wild Empathy check! WILD EMPATHY CHECK!!!!!

My characters...

Vincent Ungart (The Shining Army)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Auk. The grizzled, half naked orc suddenly coughs, Y'ore Auk.

He then laughs, nudging the dwarf nearest to him, You see what I did there, you? Gave last name first, huh? Witty, no? Like agent on mission like we on! Haha!

Suddenly, a confused look crosses his face, Joke sounded funnier when Y'ore said it inside head. Embarrassed, he seats himself back down on the rough earth.
    Y'know, the chair isn't exactly a chair and it's actually an imp fireball disguised as a chair and if you sit on it, it'll cast 'imp fireball' on you with an imp fireball, or something.

Or wait, maybe that imp fireball happens to actually be a chair disguised as an imp fireball. A chair disguised as an imp fireball disguised as a chair.

Yah.

My City Proverbial reference to my hometown, yo

10. - Top - End - #10

WolfInSheepsClothing

Roondar

Roondar waited until everyone else gave there introductions before he began his own. The gnome hopped up on his chair to make himself more visible and with a flourish and bow he announced, "Roondar master of blades and scourge of all those who appose me at your service. And pardon me saying, I can't vouch for these others but I have seen plenty of REAL fights, however one sided they were." Roondar delivers the whole speech with a sardonic half grin and looks over his fellow companions before hopping back down from his perch.
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Calli silently watches her five new "friends" as they make their introductions.

For Toren only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Arthur announces himself, she thinks What a strange human. Is he really a conjuror or is pulling our legs?

Then Zeek speaks up. Calli crinkles her nose and takes an immediate dislike to his disrespect toward the General. How dare he come in here drunk. What a disgusting little creature. She then notices the other gnome. A look of panic quickly dances across her face. Two of them!! Gods please don't let them be related.

When Beloth introduces himself. Well, at least there is one that shows some respect here. But he's a bit too quiet.

Then the Dwarf, Vincent speaks. Two with respect.

When the other gnome, Roondar, gave his little speech. Well, he's a braggart, let's hope he fights as good as he talks.

Calli slightly blushes when Contessa says "We have managed to do SOME intelligence, at least." As Calli is about to turn back toward her, she sees that there is actually a seventh member, standing like a shadow behind the rest.

How did I miss her? She wonders. Hey girl, introduce yourself. Uh... please. You are part of the party, right?
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2008-07-20 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Wrong color.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Contessa looked over at Zeek again. "What part of 'I know, nor care, little of magic' didn't I make clear before? All I know of the scroll is that it contains a powerful spell that should pierce any forms of magical protection encircling Erasmus' tower, allowing you all safe entry. At least, from the magical defenses. Local stories about the wizard suggest that he also had a habit of 'encouraging' local wildlife. But I'm sure a weaver of the dark arts will have no problem with such things, right?" She grinned. "You'll all have to exercise your best judgment in how and when you use the scroll. Be careful with it, it's an ancient scroll from back during the Perrian Dynasty. As for the report we got... well, we couldn't see anything within the tower. Erasmus must have had a way of preventing anyone from looking inside. It was hard enough to divine it's location. I can tell you that the countryside all around it is pure swamp, and that the tower itself is situated on a large outcropping of stone magically floating in the murk and muck. I can also tell you that if you pushed yourselves, never stopped moving once, and somehow avoided any and every danger around you, you'd probably make it to the tower in the better part of two days. Beyond that, I don't know. Perhaps the old stories and tales involving Erasmus might hold some grains of truth about his home and it's secrets, but no one's been inside for over 300 years, best we can tell." (If anyone is interested in the old stories or tales about Erasmus, feel free to make a Bardic Lore and/or Knowledge: History check)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Ileen Tir'enna, performer/rogue/spy for hire, was still fuming, and had been ever since she had been thrown in a rather dark dungeon. The economy in this particular city wasn't that great (she had been unable to support herself by performing).

Of course, everybody had to eat... however, her attempt to use her other talents to support herself had fallen a bit flat when a particularly sharp-eyed guard had caught her borrowing someone else's moneybag.

This had led to a stay in the local dungeon, then being offered a choice: Go with the adventurers, or sit and rot.

It wasn't hard to decide.

Ever since the dungeon, she had been fuming. Letting herself be caught by the guards! Ah well...

She could see that the other members of the party were looking at her. Summoning up her best 'cheery' impression, she smiled and said "Hi! I'm Ileen, and I'll be your other rogue for this adventure."

Then, she fell silent, retreating back into her bad mood as soon as everyone turned away.
    <()>

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Calli looks a little taken back by this "other rogue". Then a look of hurt appears upon her face and she turns toward Contessa.

Two rogues? Why? Don't you trust me? Is it something I did? I... I just don't understand.

Tears start to swell in her eyes, but she doesn't cry. Just stares ahead, confused. Then...

Do we get time to bath before we go? Hopefully, in private. It's going to be two days, minimum, before we reach the tower. And we can't bathe in between. I want to at least start out feeling fresh. With that, she's smiling again.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Arthur looks at the scroll trying to discern it's meaning...

Spoiler
    Show
    Check Dice Roll Thread for spellcraft roll and sense motive.

Either way, thanks for the help...though I'm sure I could have gotten in on my own... So... who's my meat shield for this mission. The gnome looks a little stringy and I've been told to never trust a dwarf as far as I could throw him... no offense meant. Rogues don't make great bodyguards because of the tendency to stab things in the back... present company accepted... and warlocks give me the shivers.
    Last edited by Ertier; 2008-07-22 at 02:52 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Therefore, it seemed by meatshield, Arthur was meaning the monk. But Beloth said nothing, continuing to stand there, arms folded, mouth shut. Calli was right to assume he was quiet.

The only people that were put in check mentally were the gnomes, who seemed the more spirited of the group. Though that was not a bad thing, it could lead to problems in the future. Not to mention there were two rogues. Double possible trouble.
    Last edited by Silent Musician; 2008-07-22 at 05:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    Do we get time to bath before we go? Hopefully, in private. It's going to be two days, minimum, before we reach the tower. And we can't bathe in between. I want to at least start out feeling fresh. With that, she's smiling again.
    Contessa glares at Calli, an eye twitching. "That is entirely something you should have thought to do before you received an important mission to save the entire nation from destruction. Time is of the absolute essence, and we can't afford to wait for you or anyone else to soak in warm water. Stiff upper lip, pup."

Crossing her arms again, she turned to Arthur. "As I said before: learn to trust each other. You're literally all we can spare should the chest itself have only been a legend, and we need it not to be. You'll all have to make do." Clearing her throat and closing her eyes, she spoke again. "Now that you've all had a chance to make nice with each other, the mission can begin. The lot of you have got fifteen minutes to gather anythings you seek to take with you and make any final preparations. Once you're ready, report at the south side of the camp, where I'll give you a copy of the map that will lead you to the tower itself. Do NOT mention this mission to anyone! Food and drink sufficient for four days of travel will be provided to you upon leaving. I'd provide transportation as well, but anything we could give you would have difficulty traversing the swamp. Understood? GOOD! Move out!"

Spoiler
    Show
    The next GM post will be made once everyone declares themselves ready. Any additional equipment may be purchased in the camp if you find yourself desiring anything.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Wait, there were people who came un-prepared? I'm ready to go NOW!

*Ready*

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Muttering to herself. Well I did bathe before we left the Capitol. Then looking at the once attractive Contessa. I didn't know I had to bring my own bathwater. (more indecipherable grumbling)

She'll see if she can find some water and a quiet place to wash up, at least a little. (Calli hates fealing dirty). She will make sure she makes the 15 minute deadline though. Other than that...

*ready*
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2008-07-22 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Oops!

20. - Top - End - #20

WolfInSheepsClothing

Roondar

"Well lass if it means anything, you smell like roses to me," Roondar replies to Calli with a wink. Changing his gaze to Arthur he says, "While a don't prefer the term meatshield my swords can bare the way of many a foe."

After his comments, he declares himself ready and sets about making small talk with the others who stay around.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Ileen looked up, cheerily declaring herself ready before sinking back into her slump of a bad mood. One bright thought made itself known: Wizard + Uninhabited Tower + Magical Forcefield == Treasure. Maybe, just maybe, she might find herself something to make up for the whole 'press-ganged of own free will' bit.

Ileen sighed. There was nothing really to be gained by being a grouch, and the Contessa had said that the group would need to trust each other. Slowly, the 'other rogue' began to will her feelings away...
    <()>

22. - Top - End - #22

Zeek

Must... Fight... Urge... to tell... every... soul of... mission... This sensation. I feel as though I'm going to be sick.

Zeek regains his composure and chugs a bit from his flask. Looks at it, finishes the vessel, and promptly tosses it to the floor. Time to get a little more serious.

Zeek heads to the edge of the encampment, towards the swamp. And is ready to go.
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2008-07-23 at 02:19 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Beloth heads for south of the camp to go meet the party.

He was ready.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The group gathered at the meeting point, met by Contessa and three of her most trusted soldiers. One of the three handed Beloth several flasks of the insect repelling salve, which looked to be an odd green goo with various "chunks" of unidentifiable things floating in it. Contessa nodded at the gathered group and reached into her pouch, withdrawing a scrap of leather, rolled into a cylinder and bound with twine. She stepped forward and pressed it into Calli's hands. "Make sure this bunch gets there in one piece, understand?"

Then an arrow whizzed over her head. And another. And a third pierced the Commander's back, she gasped, and Calli noticed that for the first time, a look of pure panic cross her face. "I-insurgents? Attacking outside the city? But that would be madness...unless." Her eyes widened, as she turned around. One of her soldiers had just impaled another of his fellows, and was grinning devilishly. Contessa whirled back to the group. "Security of your mission has been compromised! Get into the swamp and get your rears to that tower, you maggots!" She withdrew a mace from her waist, her eyes clouding over with a fearsome bloodlust. Her voice was loud and shrill as she screamed to the flock of tents, to awaken sleepy-soldiers. "TO ARMS! TO ARMS! THE ENEMY APPROACHES!" Then she faced the traitorous soldier. "So... you chose to betray me, Alister? Then I shall shatter your skull and demonstrate what I do to murderers and traitors!"

From out of the underbrush on the outskirts of the swamp, about 50 feet away, eight men stepped forward, five armed with short spears, and the other three with longbows... conflict was inevitable.

(OOC: Combat time! Normally, I'll be making a map to show where everyone is on the battlefield, but at the immediate moment I'm pressed for time, so I'll have one up for next round. Just to note, however: The nearest way into the swamp is directly south of you... THROUGH the hostile men.)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Calli, stands behind Contessa, pulls out her Sling & loads a bullet. She then takes aim & shoots the closest longbowman.

26. - Top - End - #26

Assumming the enemy combatants to the south stay in position, Zeek rushs south 20ft, and then fires a frightful blast at the nearest spearman. Should they move north, Zeek will seek out cover within 20 ft of movement, but still within 30 ft of the nearest combatant and with line of site. Death to the tall people! Umm. The ones we be fighting, I mean!
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Ileen pulls out her Rapier, then begins to edge away to the side, trying to hide, then get behind the enemies w/o being seen.
    <()>

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Taklin

"Well i'll be a pimple on a gnome's ars. Where did these sh***y excuse for fighters come from? You'll be tastin me hammer soon you wankers! But first, here ye go fellows!" Taklin begins chanting and everyone within 50 ft of him feel as if the presence of Moradin has fallen upon them. "Don't go pi$$in away this blessin now."

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast bless: everyone within 50ft gains +1 to attack

29. - Top - End - #29

WolfInSheepsClothing

Roondar

Roondar dashes forward calling out, "Never met a man who could match my blade. We'll see how you fare." He moves to the center of the mass, calling out insults and goading them into attacking himself, hoping to give his companions time to effectively engage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving forward and attacking someone in the center of the eight. Using combat expertise (-5 to attack, +5 to AC) so AC is 25.

Attack:(1d20+7)[27]
    Damage:(1d4+4)[5]

Rolled in OOC:
    Confirm 22
    Damage 7
    Last edited by bchilders; 2008-08-06 at 06:39 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

(Sigh.. I really didn't want to have to do this, but...

If you'll look back at the beginning of the recruitment thread, I mentioned that the idea for this campaign was originally a game concept thought up by a friend of mine. Well, unfortunately, my friend has let me know that he doesn't want anyone using the idea without his consent, which he did not give me. Apparently he wants to try submitting it to WOTC as a quest idea or a campaign setting or something along those lines.

As such, he's requested that I stop this game. Although I'm not happy about this outcome, out of respect for him, I'm going to do so. I'm sorry that it came to this, everyone. I argued with him for about two days regarding this, and the end result wasn't to anyone's satisfaction.

Thanks for playing, despite how short it was, I liked all of you guys as players.)