New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Crusade Against the Shade [IC] (GROUP 1)

Simon

"Well of course there's so many. You didn't expect less to make such a large cloud of stench, did you? And Robilard, of course skeletons can climd the walls, but do you see the brains inside their skulls that will let them think of the idea?"
    Simon turn to the nears wallguard and and asks, "Are there usually this many, or is this something new my good sir?"

Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 36/36
    AC: 17
    Initiative - (1d20+1)[13]
    Status: +4 on attack/damage rolls vs undead (Knowledge Devotion)
    Spells left: 2/5/1

I'm assuming the Knowledge Religion check of 31 will let me know these things. Also, a +4 to attacks and damage on undead til end of encounter, w00t!
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2008-05-23 at 08:39 AM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

(Yes, skeletons CAN climb walls, but because they have null intelligence, it may take them an hour to think of the idea XD)

The gates are closed now, but the skeletons are fast approaching.
    (I'll roll Init for everyone, you get a full-round action to draw weapons/get in place, yatta yatta, then post your action for this current round. I don't have a map yet, but I'll get one in the next few days. For now, just assume if you're on the gates, there are at least 3 skeletons within 60ft of you, none closer than 30ft)
    Map/Initiative updated!
    Don't worry, you won't have to fight them all.

(1d20-2)[6] Cyreon
    (1d20)[4] Plumm
    (1d20+1)[6] Simon
    (1d20)[4] Robilard (can't access your sheet)
    (1d20+3)[22] Vinsturr

Enemies:
    (1d20+5)[14]
    (1d20+5)[9]
    (1d20+5)[16]

Looks like Vingsturr is first.
    Last edited by Regord_Silentflame; 2008-05-22 at 10:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Me: When I started the adventure, my character was handed a bag full of 100 MW daggers.
    Will: Wow, that's, 30,000gp. That's more than you can get with a wish spell
    Me: Yeah, it was more than I could ever wish for.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You know, I can't access my sheet either, but according to my copy my init is +4 (all from dex). I think I PM'd the sheet to you back in the day; if you want a copy of your own, I can resend it.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Simon

"Well this should be interesting! I can't wait to see how effective that pit is!"
    With that Simon waits and picks out a good target before launch an arcane bolt at it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: 6
    Spells left: 1/5/1

Standard Action: Cast Disrupt Undead at the most dangerous looking skeleton in range.

Disrupt Undead ranged touch attack - (1d20+10)[19] (35' range)
    Disrupt Undead damage - (1d6+4)[5]

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

After returning the woman to the safety of the city walls and patiently waiting for her to be picked up, Cyreon assumes the shape of a Human again. He bows before the young family then returns to the gates. Enjoying the ability to speak again, he utters a set of growls to Cali before he climbs the city walls together with her. He makes himself comfortable for a long night to come.

Spoiler
    Show

Handle Animal to advise Cali to stay on the wall and only fight the Undead that have successfully climbed it. Tell me if I have done this earlier or whether it consumes my action for this round.
    Last edited by Silkenfist; 2008-05-26 at 04:19 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Regord:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In a human-sized town with a human-sized fence, is there anything a gnome can stand on to fight from the wall?

The gnome jumps up and down eagerly when Simon mentions his pit. "Hee hee! Me too! Maybe we'll catch a few for interrogation!" He wrinkles his nose. "Hmm, or a bath. Master Bard, can you lure them toward it with your illusions? Or should I got out there on the hound and do it?"

He scratches his chin as he surveys his odds of riding out, luring the undead to the pit, and getting back again alive. ((Regord, is that possible or are they already densely pressed around the walls?))
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-05-23 at 09:47 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Cyreon sits still on the wall, alertly observing the Undead but not moving a finger for now. As he hears his comrades plan for battle, he slowly shakes his head before resting it on the back of his hand. If you don't mind me cutting in: Why are you so eager to destroy these corpses? I commend your zeal to rid nature from the very sight of them but as soon as we succeed in our quest, the cleansing will happen anyway. For all we know these gates have weathered more than one assault already. We can very well save our powers for tasks or foes that require their use more urgently.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Plumm

"With great respect for your Reverence, Master Druid," Plumm says solemnly, "I try to not presume victory. If we live and we cleanse the land at the source, today's battle is indeed a mere etude. But if we die on that quest--and we are all mortal--then whatever we did today can make the job easier for more suitable heroes."
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

That is true. Cyreon replies calmly, keeping his eyes focussed on the mass of Undead surrounding them. But for now it should be our duty and priority to keep this settlements including ourselves alive for the fortnight. These decaying lumps of bone down there don't seem to be an immediate threat. Believe me that I would rather see them destroyed right now but since we will soon gain this very opportunity, I will restrain myself from endangering the mission. Attacks against them will reduce their numbers somewhat but from what we have seen it might also cause them to stick around longer and delay our quest against the source. He exhales heavily and presses his hand against his temples as his fears manifest inside his head. Undead marching the streets, slaughtering townsfolk, humans being devoured alive, vainly climbing walls to temporarily delay their doom... he opens his eyes again and looks at Plumm. But the main reason why I am reluctant to use my limited powers just now is the fear that there might be enemies that are able to overcome the bounds of the wall which we need to fight. If we are to defend the city and ourselves, we should consider this possibility as well.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Robilard frowned.

"Illusions? Good heavens, whatever made you suspect that I possessed such magics?" Robilard grabbed his lute, grinning fiercely at the oncoming skeletons, "No, I'm afraid that my magics are not so subtle as most may be..." With that, Robilard hopped onto the wall and began to strum his lute vigorously, ending on a high, piercing note, similar to his singing cry earlier.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Sound Burst once again, targeted to hit as many skeletons as possible.
    Sonic Damage: (1d8)[4]

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+9)[22]
    (1d4+2)[6]
    wh-wh-whklonk

"Aye" Vingsturr concurs. "Yon gnome's right, laddae buck. Ye don't kill the stokarth beast by bashin' blindly... ye gots ta goo fer th' josee bits--- th' head, heart and loin..."

"Sadly," he says as he draws back and hurls his hammer at the foremost skeleton. "We be stuck a' potshots fer th' moment at these buggers an' wot I sai' earl'er be naught but a metaphor, who-er apt i' mae be"
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

12. - Top - End - #192

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Silkenfist View Post
    But the main reason why I am reluctant to use my limited powers just now is the fear that there might be enemies that are able to overcome the bounds of the wall which we need to fight. If we are to defend the city and ourselves, we should consider this possibility as well.
    Oh, what ever would give you that idea?

your efforts down many skeletons, but sadly there are so many, they just fill in the gaps, and continue on. Luckily though, the trap catches them, and they fall down into the pit, and as they flail, they catch others, sending them crashing down.

Spoiler
    Show

Alright, everyone make spot checks.
    Cyreon: it's a move action to order your animal companion, and a move action to get up, you can take another action.
    Plumm: you can get on a building kind of close to the wall (5-10 feet away) that'll be high enough to let you see. Otherwise, you could try a balance check to put youself on the gates.
    Also, you can get out and run around if you want, none of them have bypassed your trap.
    Spoiler
    Show

Me: When I started the adventure, my character was handed a bag full of 100 MW daggers.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Some spot checks:

Cyreon: (1d20+11)[19]
    Cali: (1d20+6)[9]

Of course Cali's roll is only relevant if whatever she sees will cause her to react in any notable way.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Again and again, Vingsturr's trusty dwarven arrow flashes from hand to foe, thrumming through the air in deadly arcs of stone and steel yet in his heart he knows that this is but a poor imitation of the true Swifthammer for which his sires had sought.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+1)[4] Spot

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sadness, I don't even have a modifier to Spot...
    (1d20)[20]

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

"Have a' ye, blasted bonebaggen blighters!" Vingsturr yells as his warhammer crashes through the ribcages of two skeletons that had made it to the ramparts. Sputtering against the shower of bone shards, he shoves the larger weapon back into his belt and steps back a bit, heaving high his dwarven arrow, making ready to hurl it again...

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Simon

"You know, this really is getting wort of pointless..."
    After launching his initial blast, Simon realized how useless such paltry efforts were. Instead he pulled out a book and started jotting down notes on how the undead were handling the pit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: 6
    Spells left: 1/5/1

Spot - (1d20-6)[3]

18. - Top - End - #198

Alright, with the undead just falling into the pits last round, that was nothing useful, so we'll start at the beginning of intiative this time, something useful will happen now.

Those of you who passed your spot checks (I sent PMs, so if you didn't get one, you didn't pass), you're allowed a free action before initiative starts.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Cyreon twitches. He had watched the Undead's assault calmly, but something caused him to rise to his feet quickly. He picks up his staff and point to a place somewhere amidst the mass of Zombies. Something is coming. He points an open hand into the air, muttering a quick prayer as minute turbulences ripple through the air above. Something airborne.

Spoiler
    Show
    Call Lightning as soon as I get the opportunity. I'll decide whether or not to throw a bolt when it is time.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

Cyreon twitches. He had watched the Undead's assault calmly, but something caused him to rise to his feet quickly. He picks up his staff and point to a place somewhere amidst the mass of Zombies. Something is coming. He points an open hand into the air, muttering a quick prayer as minute turbulences ripple through the air above. Something airborne.

Spoiler
    Show
    Call Lightning as soon as I get the opportunity. I'll decide whether or not to throw a bolt when it is time.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

"Uh... you know, I see it too, Cyreon..." Robilard began to put his lute away as he shouted, "Everyone without a weapon... GET INSIDE!"

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

"Vai, whot?!" Vingsturr sputters over the din of battle.

The dwarven warrior readies his hammer for throwing, his right arm pumped well back like the tail of a scorpion. "Errbourne, ye say? Wharra? I see naught but walkin' corpses! Gimme somma lighten, comrade, whar be it?"

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

The Druid concentrates, trying to focus his eyes on the shape he had seen earlier. I am not entirely sure what it is. It looks like a bat only...larger. Let's be ready should it come for us.

24. - Top - End - #204

(Is anyone going to do anything for this round of initiative, or should I just move on?)
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

(I mentioned something along the lines of Call Lightning, if I have the Standard Action)

26. - Top - End - #206

(Yes you do, and did. I meant it as a general question)
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Robilard is shouting at the villagers if there are any nearby, and readying his shortbow if he can.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Plumm

Plumm is still on the ground inside the wall, and conseqently can't see over it. He calmly strings his miniature longbow as he listens to the druid's reasoning and the others' plans for battle. When he hears the warning about the giant bat, he brightens. "To victory!" He shouts, raising his bow over his head and jumping back aboard Gruffix. Together, dog and gnome scramble up a stack of barrels onto the roof of one of the houses near the wall.

((Regord: I'm assuming there's at least one house I can get onto without a jump or climb check.))

Once up I'll make a Spot as a free action:

spot - (1d20+2)[20]

If I see the bat thing I will launch an arrow at it, no matter how far away it might be:

attack - (1d20+7)[11]
    dmg - (1d6+2)[3]

Plumm also lets out a gleeful chuckle when he sees that the undead are falling into his pit trap outside the wall.

29. - Top - End - #209

Simon, Vingsturr, anything for this round?
    btw, Plumm, you can see it, but your arrow was far off.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Vingsturr doffs his bronze helmet and drops it to his feet then wipes the sweat and hair away from his eyes. Seeing Plumm loose at something in the distance, he squints that way and makes ready to hurl his hammer it the flyer once it comes within range. "Aha! Yon's tha blighter! Commaon, bugger, yost a li'l bit closer!"

Spoiler
    Show

Ready action to hurl the hammer once flyer is within range. Ready action to draw waraxe when it buzzes the ramparts.
    (1d20+9)[23]
    (1d4+2)[6]