New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: Facing down destiny

Stupid? Azakan shrugs. Intelligence is relative. I don't see why you should be stupid, but it depends what you mean. You certainly have an interesting take on history, but that's to be expected.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-04-17 at 05:35 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin nods, seemingly satisfied with Azakan's answer.

(Ach Azakan... you are quite the diplomat, are you not. And yet, for all your wit and sharp mind, i can see the demon spawn trick you into doing his bidding. Surely his logic will be impeccable and then, if it is the logic thing to do, it must be the right thing, mustn't it? But that is just how he will guide back to right where we were when Gothul was still alive. Neccessary evils, they call it, better to sacrifice thousands of our own to our own demon, by our own choice then to be held like cattle by the Illithids... but what would be even better? No demon god at all. But how will you overthrow the archmages? You will need power to do it. Where are you going to get it from then? Will you refuse an offer from another demon?)

Orin goes on to eat and drink a bit, seemingly spaced out as he broods.

(Try as i might, i don't think another Zere will be Davethra's best choice for a new emperor. Someone like Sumner Kesh though... did you ever wonder why he never found a master? Why, when he was just one syllabe away from pledging his life to you, Azakan, fate intervened? Maybe it is because he has yet to find his true master: The people of Davethra. Sure, maybe Sumner is not so versed in the art of the diplomat, or the ruler. But i believe he would not compromise his ideals for a few short-term goals... like so many, many rulers are wont to do.)

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a pause as they eat. Then Azakan speaks up again. You know, I never answered your question about who I am, and who my father was. My name is Azakan Zere. Not a name I often use these days, but there's no point lying, since the people I'm meeting here know me by that name. I don't know how good your knowledge of things outside Dar Ven is, but you may recognise the name of my father. His name was Vellan Zere. He was... Azakan scratches his goatee, thinking. I guess you would say that he was the Clan Chief of the Davethrans. All of them. I don't know how you chose your chiefs, but he got his position by being the best fighter of all the Davethrans, not by being popular. He was... a flicker of some emotion crosses Azakan's face, before returning to its normal wry, genial tone. He was not a pleasant man. I grew up in his... well, his big chief's hut, with all his sons and daughters... who also weren't very nice. It was next to the shrine where the Davethran's big spirit, Gothul, lived. And that is not something a child should grow up near... he trails off, staring into the distance. Then his eyes snap back to you.
    Well, that's me. What about you?
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-04-16 at 04:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"You want our stories?"

Orin looks over to Tharok for a moment. Maybe he wants to go first.

(You want my story? Well, a story you shall get then...)

Spoiler
    Show
    Let us assume Tharok does not want to go first. Perhaps he is curious about 'Bren Blackshield's' story too.

With a shrug Orin turns back and tells his tale:
    "Me first then. I am Bren. Is not name parents gave me, but is good enough for mercenary. Other mercenaries call me Blackshield. Bren Blackshield. I not know why, but is good enough. So i paint my shield black. I was fighting for your warlords. Archmages. Was strong fighter, took many hearts. But one day, we fight army with demons. We fight hard and brave! Slay many of demons! But they have poision sting."

Orin moves his right hand to touch a point at his abdomen, seemingly subconsciously.
    "Still today i feel sting of fiend. Is not deep. Would be scratch if just steel. But a cold fire burns me from inside and world goes black. I think i now go to afterlife. But when i come to, i am still alive. But weak. Weak like newborn. Demon stole my stregth! I was wearing good armour and wielding great sword, just like Tharok. But now i am too weak to wear my old armour. Or wield big sword. Had to stop being mercenary. But did not want to return in shame. Wandered about, aimless, without destiny. Then meet Tharok on plains. He on vision quest from shaman, he has destiny! I ask if he allows shamed warrior to go with him. He agrees. So i follow him. Maybe, if i help him find his destiny, i get back my strength."

"Tharok brave warrior. As mercenary, i only fight for gold. But Tharok fight for right! He show me how true warrior should be. I am in great debt to him."

Orin falls silent again, waiting for Tharok to tell his tale.

(Well, i just hope Tharok picks up on the clue.)

Lycar

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan nods. Ah yes, I know the demons you speak of... well, actually they're devils, but it's not really important. Maybe the priests I'm going to see will be able to heal you to your full strength. So Tharok, what about you?
    Well, says Tharok, I am from the Car San tribe. My father is Clan Chief. The eldest son of the Clan Chief must go on a vision quest to find wisdom in the world, so that he can become Clan Chief. I am not the eldest... he pauses, grimacing. My older brother failed his quest. He was banished in disgrace. So now I must try. He pats his sword. This is the blade of my ancestors, and this, he says pointing to his armour, is the armour of my ancestors. I must hope that this will attract the attention of the spirits, so that they grant me visions to help me find wisdom. It is after I met Bren that I had this vision about coming here, and you, and the evil spirit.
    Well, says Azakan, leaning back, it seems we were all destined to meet... so the question is, why do the spirits want you to help me? Perhaps they are scared of Gothul... he mutters to himself, I would be.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

(Hrm. Need to meet some people. Wonder who they are. But if he needs to convince them to leave him alone. He, maybe two strong barbarian warriors can help with that... either way...)

"You need to meet people? What people? Who are they? They trouble? Maybe we help with trouble then. When do they come?"

Lycar

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

They might be trouble... Azakan sighs. They're not people I want you to kill, or anything. They're people I knew a long time ago. They were helping me with something important, but one of them betrayed me. Why the others are still travelling around with him, I don't know. I met them briefly, a week ago, and they were really insistent on talking. I was busy, so I told them to meet me here, tonight.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Tonight you say? Very well. We will rest. Be ready for them. We will not start fighting. But we must know what is happening. Important things are happening for all men, Davethran, Qsan, Dar Ven alike. As old saying goes: I'll fight my cousin with my brother, i'll fight my neighbour with my brother and cousin, but i will fight the stranger with all Dar Ven. And we will fight any fiend with all men."

Orin gives a sort of bow to Azakan, to emphasize the seriousness of his words.

"There a place for us to rest?"

(Huh, i bet Tharok wants to have a word with me or two...)

Lycar

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I guess if you want to nap there are beds, says Azakan, pointing up the stairs.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin shots a glance at Tharok, then nods.

"Yes, we rest. Thank you for food and drink. You call us when people come, yes?"

Provided that Azakan answers in the affirmative, Orin will finish his food and drink and retreat upstairs with Tharok.

After finding a place to rest and taking off the heavy backpack and shield, Orin sits down and looks at Tharok, whispering to him. "Sorry for doing all the talking. You have questions?"

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2008-04-18 at 08:16 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Tharok sits down on the other bed. Have you heard of this man, Azakan Zere, or his father? He said we might have, so I assume they are famous.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin looks around to make sure they have some privacy, then begins to talk with a low voice.

"I would love to sing the Song of Zere for you. Maybe we will have time to indulge in song and story one day. But for now, it must suffice to know that Vellan Zere was the magus who struck a deal with Gothul, to overthrow the Mind Flayers. He had many sons, but most of them were killed in the years after Emperor Zere's assassination. Azakan is one of the last surviving Zeres and therefore the lawful heir to the empire. But the archmages are not going to give up the absolute power they enjoy over their own city states easily."

Looking around again, Orin leans even closer to Tharok before he continues
    "That is what worries me so much. Azakan will need help, powerful help to break the might of the archmages. But will he strike a deal with a demon god, like his father? I certainly hope not. He emphatically claimed that he would never do something like this and i am willing to believe him. But he would not be the first to be seduced by power. Or even just the promise of power. Vellan Zere believed it was worth the life of thousands a year to pay for Gothul's help."

"Yes, he did overthrow the Illithid empire, he did free humanity form their slavers. But at what price... "

Orin shakes his head sadly "I do not know how normal people live. I am born a noble, i never had... *sigh* Let us just say that the demons would feel right at home at a mages court and leave it at that. I suppose i cannot even blame the archmages for what they are doing. They just don't know any better. If only... if only someone could show them the errors of their ways. But who would they listen too? In their hubris, they believe their power to be absolute, themselves to be infaillable. They would even defy the gods themselves..."

"Let us rest now. I wonder about the people Azakan wants to meet. And the priests he wants to travel to. Maybe we get lucky and they are actually willing and capable to rise our companions. It will probably eat up all the treasure we gained, leaving nothing to raise those who's cold corpses lie back in Halgarth."

"And it worries me so. One is a man of absolute faith and conviction, his sense of duty to the empire and it's people unwavering. Him i would trust even more then Azakan to bring back the empire, to unite our people and break the stranglehold of the archmages. And not to turn our country to war to subjugate our neighbours again, just to have more... human cattle to draw sacrifices from. No, he would bring peace to Davethra and beyond. And two others i owe my life to. I would be shamed would i not do my utmost to repay the debt and bring them back to life."

"Let us rest now. We had a taxing day and we want our strength of body and mind when we have to face what destiny awaits us."

Lycar

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Tharok listens carefully. So Azakan is the son of the Clan Chief? But he hasn't proved himself, and you think he might try and get the help of this evil spirit. Hmmm... I guess we'll just have to make sure he doesn't.
    Tharok lies down on the bed, thinking.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"I honestly do not know if he has proven himself by now. It has been quite a while since i met him. I should ask him about that, hmm? But yes, we should do our best to protect him from the evil spirit."

Orin falls silent agian and tries to nap a bit. It has already been a long day so far. He tries not to think about the grisly contents of his backpack too.

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2008-04-20 at 05:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

You hear a yell from outside, it sounds like the old man you spoke to earlier.
    AZAKAN! THE PEOPLE YOU ARE WAITING FOR ARE HERE!
    Tharok jumps up. We better go downstairs. He picks up his stuff and walks out the room and down back to Azakan.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-04-23 at 08:30 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin tries to get a bit of sleep and has managed to doze off.

(Hmm.. banquet? In the honour of the archmagus? Yes of course... )

But then the yell of the old man tears into his proto-dream and he is rudely awakened. Jerking bolt upright on his cot with a start, he needs a few seconds to sort dream from reality, his heart beating rapidly.

"Oh yes... "

Orin quickly gets up and hurries to one of the windows, trying to spy who it is that Azakan wants to meet.

Lycar

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Orin looks out the window, and sees five mounted people, riding fabulously decked steeds. They are led by a Davethran woman of incredible beauty, on a horse with silver eyes. She is flanked by a short, stocky man with dragon tattoos and plate armour on a horse with a stylised dragon barding, and a young man of about 16, who appears to have green skin, and feathers coming out of his bald head, on a horse decorated with feathers. But it's to the other two men that Orin's eye is drawn. It's Khorik and Kaleff.
    The woman is softly casting some spells, with no visible effects. The man with dragon tattoos dismounts awkwardly, holding his horse's reigns.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-04-23 at 01:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin looks a bit stunned as he realizes who exactly he is watching down there.

(Khorik?! Khaleff ?! But.. but.. they are dead? Their corpses with the undertaker to keep them fresh for resurrection? But how.... )

Orin ponders for a moment, letting his gaze sweep over the rest of the assembly.

(Well... we were trapped in that time distortion field for.. 4 days? A lot can happen in 4 days. Maybe Kesh Senior went and had Sumner raised. And certainly, as a man of honour, he would have gone and get his companions raised too... but where is he? And how did they manage to contact Azakan? Um. Silly question. The joys of divination magic. Bet the temple was throwing in a free reading what with all the gold they got for those resurrection...)

Spotting another two slightly familiar faces in the crowd, Orin's expression darkens somewhat.

(Oh. Them. Well, these damn bountyhunters could as well have stayed dead and rotting for all i care. Oh well. And to think that Kizima and Livina died trying to raise them. Too bad i don't get to see the expression on their faces now. Although... No, focus! As much as i'd like to watch their brains get eaten by a Mind Flayer, even they must realize that Gothul coming back is something that needs stopping. On the other hand... maybe Sumner isn't with them because they are actually so deparved that they would welcome the fiend back? Bountyhunter scum they are! Maybe demon lovers too!)

Pushing aside the sudden burst of hatered towards those, who would drag him back to Govan for gold, Orin tears himself away from the window and heads downstairs. He intends to leave his heavy backpack behind, but then the memories of two backpacks abandoned, never to be found again flash before his inner eye.

(Oh no, not again. Not this time!)

Orin deftly grabs his backpack and dons it, grimacing as the straps tear into his poor, abused shoulders again. Putting the shield on his left arm, he goes to follow Tharok and join Azakan.

Well, if these people are indeed the ones trying to turn Azakan over to demon worship.. maybe... just maybe he could make the difference...

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2008-04-23 at 05:25 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Orin walks downstairs and into the tavern room. Azakan is sitting at the back, facing the door. He looks completely calm, but as Orin sits down he sees that actually the calm is fixed, he's probably really nervous.
    Tharok sits on the other side of Azakan, looking slightly nervous.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin pauses for a moment, taking in the scene.

(Look at how stressed he is. He doesn't trust these people much either. Hm.. i wonder if Khalef is still a worshiper of that death-god... Ish.. Isi.. the one with the scythe. Isildur? No.. Imsharoth? Something like that. Ah but.. he, i still have some virility left.)

"Ah.. forgot!"

Orin quickly goes up the stairs a bit again, until he feels confident that any spellcasting would go undetected by both Azakan and Tharok. Then he fishes for the copper piece in his spell component pouch (which he wears so it is on his back, awkward but not immediately noticeable. After all, barbarians are not supposed to cast spells. In hindsight, it might have been prudent to disguise it as a rations bag or something..).

Setting down the shield for a moment to have his hands free, he intones the verbal component of the Detects Thoughts spell as quietly as he dares without risking to lose the spell, then picks up the shield again and goes down back to the main room, keeping the concentration on the spell up.

Orin decides to sit on Azakan's other side. If they want to pose as his guardians, they could as well act the way.

Keeping his face as calm as he can, Orin trains his mental focus on the doorway, ready to try and read the minds of those who are about to enter.

(Hm. I should maybe try to go for Khorik's mind first. He is a warrior, not a spellcaster. Hopefully he has little training in keeping his mind closed to reading. And maybe that woman's bodyguard. Although as a guard of a noblewoman, he might.. no, focus! Don't let the spell slip...)

Lycar

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

The door opens, and the old man from outside leads the newcomers in. The green boy has covered his head with a cowl, his face in shadow, so it is no longer apparent that he is anything strange.
    The old man speaks in his strong accent.
    Azakan, what is this about plague in Ral Misari? Is this true?
    Azakan raises one eyebrow. Plague? Interesting. No, there's no plague, the government simply doesn't want people finding out about what I did. You are perfectly safe.
    The man nods. Ah, I see. Very well. I leave you to talk to friends.
    He walks out the door, leaving you in the room alone with the newcomers.
    Well, pull up a chair, says Azakan to them, waving at the chairs around the room.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Orin starts to read the thoughts of the people coming in. He's unable to pick up Khorik's thoughts, or those of Kaleff or the woman, but he gets the thoughts of the cowled, green boy.
    It IS him. But it seems he hasn't been idle these past ten years...Who was that inquisitor?

...I wonder if he knows anything about my transformation.

The cowled boy bows, and fetches a chair. He sits down across the table, and unbuttons his cape, allowing to fall away and reveal his emerald skin and plumage of red and black.
    Azakan's smile dissapears, replaced by a look of shocked horror. He just sits there, staring at the boy. You... so it's true...
    Now that Orin can see him clearly, he realises something. Besides being green and having feathers, the boy looks exactly like the young Sumner Kesh.
    The woman looks at Azakan.
    Then you know what is happening to him?
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-04-25 at 09:47 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

The young, green, plumed man rests his hands upon his knees observing Azakan closely.
    I believe I know what you're thinking, your Lordship. But I am not becoming Gothul reborn.
    Orin definitely recognises the voice now, it is indeed Sumner. Why he is now bright green, or has feathers, you don't know.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan leans back, visibly shaken. No, you're not. If it were that simple, I'd just kill you.
    He sighs, head bowed. I thought I'd escape this, but I can't, can I. You're here to ask me to be Emperor, aren't you?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Sumner keeps his gaze low.
    I'm asking you to accept your duty and your hereditary right. But you needn't decide right now. He lifts his gaze to meet Azakan, reflecting a slightly weary look in his own eyes.
    I also believe that your rulership would be good for Old Davethra; that you could foster an empire of men, instead of demons.

Sumner blinks, slowly.
    You would not create another Gothul or Vander Moross. Think on it, please.

That said, the youth leans back in his seat, glancing at Tharok and Orin.
    But I'm curious...It's been ten years for you since that...fateful day. What have you been doing all this time?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan stares at Sumner despairingly. You don't have any idea what's going on, do you? Of course I don't have to decide straight away, it's already been decided. I have no alternative. As you say, it's my hereditary duty. My father decided for me. He puts his face in his hands, despairingly.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Sumner furrows his green brow. It still has the sunburst tattoo, as before. It's just faded, due to the green skin.
    Perhaps I don't; I've been out of touch for these past ten years, and especially so this past month. We know of a prophecy, but I've learned to be wary of prophecies. What did you do in the capitol?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Assassinated the King, replies Azakan, matter-of-factly, raising his head to look at Sumner again. He did kill my father afterall. I had to take revenge. It is Ne'sha. He laughs at this, sardonically.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

The warrior lifts his eyebrows for a moment, clearly impressed, but then he nods.
    I see. And you sow chaos in the Kumari empire as well.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Why's that? asks Azakan. More likely the Kumari will invade Khadoth soon, if they find out the King's dead. But I don't really care, to be honest.