New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Vanquishers of Reillalt

Just as Viktor's glowing healing concludes, everyone can hear someone approaching quickly from the opposite side of the Mausoleum. You hear him yelling; Did you kill it?! Is it dead!.
    You see a scrawny man with flowing robes trailing a good 5 feet behind him. He runs up to the party, rounding the mausoleum corner and stopping at the door, doubling over putting his hands on his knees and panting. He takes a moment to catch his breath, then chokes out Is... it destroyed? I don't... see it anywhere.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

Secret Option F, The Steam Group!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Royal
    AC: 17 HP: 27

Taken aback for a moment and nearly taking the poor man as a threat, Royall quickly takes charge again, approaching the fellow with a wary gait.

"If you mean the thing in the crypt, it is slain," Royal notes the coming morning with a hint of appreciation. "But who are you, more importantly, to be around in this burial ground when such evils are lurking about?"

(Detect evil and :
    Sense motive (1d20 5=18) to see if his intent will match whatever her detection picks up)
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lance: AC:13 Hp:25/30 Str:8
    Lance ignores the new arrival, only trying to remove some weight from his body. His muscles feel weak, especially compared to their normally above average strength. He takes off his chainmail, drops one of his swords, and sets his backpack on the ground. He is now only carrying one sword, two flasks of holy water, and some tinder twigs.
    GENERATION 13: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    Talk to LordRod if you want him to make you an avatar as cool as mine.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hiram Norrell

Hiram reflexively levels his crossbow at the scrawny man as the rounds the mausoleum, but lowers it slightly when it looks like he poses no immediate threat. Aemon, however, wastes no time in flying over and pecking the man's head.

This one smells like food! He quorks, trying to maintain a perch on Scrawny's head despite his repeated attempts to shoo the bird away.

If you have food, you should give it to him or Aemon'll never leave you alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Baerdog: super genius.

5. - Top - End - #95

((You know, you'd think there would be a detect alignment spell...))

Royal senses no evil from the man as he catches his breath and tries to get the bird off of his head. Yes... excellent. The Vasuthant. It was... the last stage of your test.

He stands up and pulls a gold-pommeled dagger in an ivory white sheath from his orange robes, as well as a cracker. He tosses the cracker to the bird, and turns the dagger's point towards the ground and presses a button in the bottom of the grip. He pauses for a moment, then clears his throat and appears to have gained his composure back.

I am Safron. I am one of the Wizards of the Vanquishers. My services were needed to aid in your test. You have passed. He grins widely. Now, gather round here. I have instructions to bring you back, posthaste. I'll be joining shortly, I have some... clean up to do. He glances back at the ghouls.

He ushers the party close, then lays a hand on each of them in turn. Speaks an arcane word, and white light floods your eyes, and you find yourselves in a great den. The walls and floor are built from a dark wood, and a large circular rug colored dark purple is under your feet. A huge fireplace, with a raging fire at the moment, is the focus of the room, with a pelt of some kind hanging above it. In front of you, a darkwood desk desk sits, behind it a grand chair, currently with it's back turned to you. It swivels to face you as soon as you get your bearing after the teleport.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reiner looks something like this, but without the leather armor at the moment. Sorry I couldn't resize it.

Behind the desk is a middle aged human man. He looks a little ragged, with messy brown hair and a goatee and mustache. He stands and nods at you.
    I, as some of you may know, am Reiner Kleibstoff, Head Liberator of this Vanquisher hall. I have received word from Safron that you performed marvelously in the graveyard. As I'm sure you know by now, that was a test. However, think of it as a simulation. The pain from your wounds was real. Your enemies, while serving the Vanquishers, will do no less. He pauses and strolls over to the fireplace and talks with his back facing the party.
    A Vanquisher lives by three tenets. First, to be prepared for shadow to strike anytime. Second, to stand bravely in the face of terror, and third, to bring the fight into the lair of darkness, never ceasing pursuit. All of you have demonstrated these qualities today. He turns and walks back to his desk. He opens a drawer, and retrieves a bundle of red silk, and unrolls it on his desk. You see six gold and white daggers, just like the ones Safron had. Seeing them now, you can see have a jawless skull symbol stamped on the handle in Ivory.
    These are your badges of pride.Symbols of membership in our organization. Show them to the right people, and you shall find yourself with allies in the darkest of places. Show them to the wrong ones, however.. and you may find yourself hunted and prosecuted. Please, take your prize. He waves his hand over the blades, gesturing you to take one. ((each of course))
    Last edited by Vazzaroth; 2008-05-04 at 01:13 PM.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Viktor AC:21(25) HP:30/30

Viktor looks to Lance, "Tomorrow I will pray to the light to restore your health." He then approaches the desk. "So these are the badge of a Vanquisher..." He places his hand on one and moves it over two others before he finally grips one, picking it up so he can look at it. "It is indeed an interesting badge. Sir, I am ready to depart on whatever mission you have ready. Also, if you dont mind the inquiry will the group of us be operating as a team or was that merely for the test?"

nimbus of light- 30 min
    luminous armor- 6 hours
    I want to meet Death, Cupid, the Creator, and a moose.

Death so I can stare him down, Cupid so I can smack him upside the head, the Creator for a favor, and a moose because they smell funny.

7. - Top - End - #97

As it stands, you are too inexperienced and unproven to trust with solo missions. Individual operatives are some of the strongest of our order. For now, you shall remain united, assuming there is no objection.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

"No objections on my part, I actually work better with others. I rather like most of my new comrades and asked because I thought we might be separated into more experienced teams." Viktor seems oddly solemn and slow about placing the dagger into his pouch before he walks to Lance and once more lays a glowing hand on him.

[Viktor will pass out cure spells as they recharge starting with Lance until the party is completely healed]

nimbus of light- 30 min
    luminous armor- 6 hours

Death so I can stare him down, Cupid so I can smack him upside the head, the Creator for a favor, and a moose because they smell funny.

9. - Top - End - #99

Sonia reaches out and takes one of the daggers without taking her eyes off Reiner. "Thank you, sir. I'm sure I speak for us all when I say we're honoured to be accepted into the Vanquishers. If I may inquire, what will be our first official mission, and when will it begin?"

In the light from the fire and with none of the shadows from the cemetery clinging to her, Sonia's companions finally get a good look at her. She's a young woman around twenty, with long black hair rather messily folded into a single braid down her back. Her face is rather pale, spotted with a few freckles on her cheeks, which hints at the fact that she never saw much sun as a child. She wears black reinforced leather armour fitting her tall, thin frame tightly, high leather boots and a dark-grey cloak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

10. - Top - End - #100

Some of you; he motions his head towards Hiram, have spent more than enough time already behind our other members. It's time for you to shine on your own merits. We have waited quite a while for a promising bunch like you... we haven't had a new member at this hall in five years... Reiner looks to the side remorsefully.

However, the fact remains that you are fresh recruits. I do indeed have something for you to cut your teeth on. A resident in the town has complained about frightening noises coming from her basement. From what we know, the basement is rather large, a wine celler of some sort. The authorities handed this over to us, possible supernatural causes are suspected.
    He opens a drawer in his desk and lays a scrap of paper with an address, 811 Winchester Road, next to the remaining daggers.
    We have told the client that you will be arriving early tomorrow morning. You are free to use our bunks if you need somewhere to sleep.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Very well then" Lance states while picking up one of the daggers. "Do we have any information about this person? It would be better to know what we will be dealing with before we go down into the basement if at all possible."
    GENERATION 13: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    Talk to LordRod if you want him to make you an avatar as cool as mine.

12. - Top - End - #102

Hiram Norrell

Hiram acknowledges Reiner's nod and finally approaches the desk to retrieve his dagger, taking the time to affix it to his belt.

Thanks Reiner, I think we'll work well together. Have there been any similar disturbances on Winchester Road in the past or is this the first such occurrence?

13. - Top - End - #103

One authority who passed by there reported a red light from a window into the cellar, but it quickly dissapeared. This report is why they contacted us. There have not been any other documented complaints from the area, but this town has had more than it's share of issues we've had to deal with... The client is a woman who owns a small bakery. She sells uses the basement as a wine cellar and storage.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Phaerin

Phaerin waits until everyone has taken a dagger, when he finally steps quietly out of the shadows, (just basically assume I'm always making a hide and move silently check when not moving at full speed), and takes the last remaining dagger.

Totally disregarding what ever the current topic is at the time he stares directly into Reiner's eyes with his own pupil-less ones and says, "I have heard of your organization before. In fact I have been searching for you for some time. Needless to say you are not and easy group of people to locate, almost as hard to find as my own people. I believe you know what I mean, It is not often that one from my world works with you, is it? I have only heard of one other from my sect to ever join you.

At this point the thick, pitch black, shadows that were covering his body, slide off like a thick liquid, and coalesce into his shadow, at the exact same time his cat by the same name jumps on the desk, almost appearing from no where. Phaerin leans very close to Reiner now, and whispers something into his ear the he might even have trouble hearing, let alone anyone else. After he has said his peace, the dagger disappears into his cloak, and he precedes out the door.
    "I have an idea. It starts with 'S' and ends with 'litting their throats' ".
    Belkar Bitterleaf-OOTS

"Zombie apes? We're not even near a tropical zone!" - Baerdog7

15. - Top - End - #105

As Phaerin leans forward, Reiner leans back in his chair and looks at him suspiciously, putting his hand up to stop the Drow.
    We speak secrets to many people, but not among fellow members. Anything you have to say to me can be addressed to us all, can it not?

As Phaerin backs off, you can see Reiner withdraw a pistol from aiming where Phaerin's chest was a moment ago. He stows it under his jacket quickly.

You have only heard of one perhaps. The last thing we need is public knowledge of us employing your kind.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Phaerin

Not showing any unease at the open hostilities

Relax, you should know better than any, that the ones who know how best to combat the shadow, are ones that know it most intimately.
    Belkar Bitterleaf-OOTS

17. - Top - End - #107

Hiram Norrell

Hiram clears his throat, trying desperately to fill the awkward silence that came after Phaerin and Reiner's little...altercation.

Hmm, well, yes...if there's nothing further I'll be in the library to, uh...read. To me, Aemon.

He exits the room as quietly as possible, Aemon flapping out after him.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

Viktor watches Hiram and the bird depart then turns to the group "Well I suppose I shall see you all tomorrow morning, if any of you want to join me I am off to the temple." As he walks out of the room his glowing armor disappears and his glow seems to dwindle yet more as he steps out of sight.

nimbus of light- 30 min
    luminous armor- 6 hours

19. - Top - End - #109

After your initiation, you all go your separate ways for the night. Viktor finds harbor in the Temple of St. Cuthburt attached to the Vanquisher's hall.

The next morning, you re-assemble at the hall and head into the main part of town.
    ((The Hall is on the outskirts of Darbsverth, as one might expect. It shares it's block with a few temples to uncommon gods like Fharlanghn and a butcher. Note: This town falls under the Large Town category.))

Between your local experiences, the six of you are able to quickly locate Winchester Road, despite people averting their eyes while hurrying past the party. 811 is a 2 story house, like many on the street, on the corner. It looks like a bakery and imported wine store occupies the first floor, with living quarters on the top. A wooden hanging sign denotes the store as "Randy's exotic wines". Another wooden sign on the inside of the window is flipped to the Closed side. Behind that, the curtains are drawn.
    Last edited by Vazzaroth; 2008-05-10 at 05:59 PM.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Viktor AC:16 HP:30/30

Bright and early Viktor sought out Lance and has been restoring his strength all morning.

Upon coming across the winery Viktor looks to Hiram and Phaerin, "Would someone care to see if magic is about?" He turns toward the house, "I will check if the Light can find any evil here...Май светлые мне знание, котор я изыскиваю." As he begins speaking these odd words he begins glowing and it is clear that the good he fights for also permeates his whole being.

[Detect Evil aimed into the building and down- recharge(1d6+1=4)]

1st Level- 4

21. - Top - End - #111

Hiram Norrell

I would certainly be glad to try, Hiram says, polishing his glasses. Replacing his spectacles, Hiram mutters some arcane syllables and hand motions and his eyes begin to glow as he finishes the spell.

Alright, let's see what there is to see.

Hiram walks slowly around the outside of the building, directing his detect magic around the first and second floors of the building before then seeing if he can detect anything by looking down where the basement would be. If he does detect anything, he waits for three rounds to determine the number, strength, and location of each aura.

Recharge Timer
    0-Level - (1d4+1)[2]

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Phaerin

After receiving the information that Hiram can provide, Phaerin walks up to the door followed closely by shadow. I knock on the door and wait for the owner of the house to open the door
    Belkar Bitterleaf-OOTS

23. - Top - End - #113

Sonia, having no mystical powers of detection or insight, stands patiently behind the mages while they get their thing done, poised to draw blades at the least provocation. She moves closer to Phaerin when he knocks on the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

24. - Top - End - #114

Hiram And Viktor cannot get any feedback on their probing. They can tell they are not penetrating particularly deep into the house, and are no where near scrying the basement.

As Phaerin knocks, everyone hears a short scream. A moment later, the door opens a tiny bit, held mostly closed by a chain latch, and a side of a middle aged woman's face peeks through. She speaks in a low gravely voice.

You's here for the rat problem?
    Last edited by Vazzaroth; 2008-05-12 at 04:29 PM.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Phaerin

"Yes, we are here for that problem. May we enter?"

((not sure if that requires a bluff check))
    Last edited by Theeon; 2008-05-12 at 05:41 PM.
    Belkar Bitterleaf-OOTS

26. - Top - End - #116

Her visible eye darts back and forth across the six of you. The door closes, you can hear her unlock the latch, then open the door for you to come in.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Phaerin

Half side stepping, half pushing my way inside I take a quick look around the room, looking for the basement.

"Well, where are they, the quicker we finish them, the quicker we can leave your house madam."

If I see the basement I leave before she even has an chance to respond.

((Phaerin is the model of efficiency))
    Belkar Bitterleaf-OOTS

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Viktor reveals that his search was blocked and follows Phaerin in to the winery. Immediately after Phaerin asks for the basement Viktor places a gentle hand on his shoulder to keep him from wandering off "Ma'am, can you describe anything strange that has been happening around here? Any little thing might be of help in our dealing with your... rat... infestation."

[Viktors hand rests softly on Phaerin's shoulder but if he tries wondering toward any possible basement before she gives an ok he attempts to root him to the spot]

29. - Top - End - #119

She continues eying everyone suspiciously. Her apron and brown hair are thoroughly dishelved and the blue dress under the apron is losing it's color. The inside of the house looks to have been a decently well off shop, but is currently in disarray. A number of large barrels, a table, and a few chairs are piled up against a doorway on the left wall from where you entered. A few empty bottles are scattered about the floor as well.

I figured the guard woulda briefed you better. Incompetent boys they got running the watch... Well, we've always had rats here, O'course. And it's never been much of a problem. We had a cat, and my late husband Merv would take care of any that ol' animal missed. But since his passing 'bout a year ago, they've been gettin' out of hand. I didn't think it was much of an issue, I moved the wares up here and just let the basement go, leaving some poison down there when I could afford it. But... a couple days ago... I heard some mighty loud thumpin' coming from down there. I went down there with my lantern... and I swear ta ya I saw a rat at least 4 feet long! He skampered off soon as the light got close, but I know what I saw. If customers got wind of that... I'd be outta job in no time. I closed it up, locked it tight. But then yesterday I smelt something horrid from down there. I went in and checked it out... and there was blood and fur everywhere! I saw at least 10 dead rats, the little 'uns. I heard a terrible screech and... and I just ran. Ran back up here and locked it tougher than ever before...

She is breathing a bit hard, and her eyes are not focused on anything in the room. She regains her composer and continues.

Point is... I don't know what it is. Something killed those rats. Maybe it was the bigger ones, maybe something else. Thats why I reported it, get down there and YOU tell ME what's goin' on!
    Last edited by Vazzaroth; 2008-05-13 at 12:38 AM.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

"We shall do just that then ma'am, would it be safe to assume that door there is where we are going?" Viktor gestures to the doorway blocked by stuff and with her nod lets go of Phaerin's shoulder and goes to start clearing the door.
    Last edited by Visturon; 2008-05-13 at 12:41 AM.