New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Default Airship B-38: All Quiet on Darguun Front (IC V1)

The morning air is crisp as it rushes over your faces, the black pillar of smoke growing clearer and closer as your Daggerswift cuts a straight path through the sky. Your maps tell you nothing about any kind of settlement in these hills, but that smoke is unmistakable. Man made buildings, man made fire, and even a remote hamlet around here could have a dozen families all in trouble right now. Trees and brush slip past underneath, and the crest grows ever closer, closer, closer. Suddenly you’re all over, close enough to taste ash in the back of your throats.

Over the railing of your ship you see a small clump of four burning cottages with connecting dirt roads and an untouched barn 100 yards off in the center of a large ring of scattered of trees and wild vegetation. In the distance you see acres of newly planted fields, probably grapes from the color and patterns. You see an unloaded cart resting gently between the barn and the fields, the kind of cart you’ve seen a million times unloading fresh goods in towns. You see a well-kept well and rows of clothes lines. You see cut paths and beaten paths, a compost heap, fences, discarded toys and games and newly human relics. What you don’t see are any signs of life anywhere on the grounds around you.

“I’ll stop a hundred yards from the houses; let you all drop down!” The cry comes from Helmsman Bostwick, commissioned Airship Pilot of the Breland First Division, Special Forces Unit, as he stands atop his raised daises at the front of the craft and gazes angrily at the scene below. Sweat glistens down his pale brow as he concentrates and channels will into the dueling elementals, telling them to pull the craft down and around, leaving the bow pointing directly down the center of the row of homes as it comes to a silent hovering stop. At your feet are ropes and ladders, and the ground is 25 feet down.

[Game on!]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Airship B-38: All Quiet on Darguun Front (IC V1)

Ronald is looking down towards the burning town, a sad frown on his face. "We should catch who ever did this"

As he walks to the rope ladder and starts descending.
    "I'll go and scout up ahead for a bit, maybe I can find some of the inhabitants of the town."

With agile swiftness he quickly descends the rope ladder.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Curra stared at the flames, her eyes wide with shock. As the ship came in close, she hurriedly tied one end of a heavy rope to the railing, and tossed the spool overboard. As the ship slowed to a stop, she stepped over the railing and prepared to rappel down the side. "What are you all standing around for? Go get some water or something! We have to put out those fires quick!" She exclaimed, and slid down the rope, her chitin armor saving her from rope-burn on the way down. She dropped the last five feet, and started at a run toward the village.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Way ahead of you, Curra!" Kleris reaches into a pouch on one of his leather belts and pulls out an eagle feather and a hardened leaf. He quickly waves them in an elaborate pattern, and raises them to the sky. Clouds begin to gather rapidly, and a torrent of rain begins to fall.
    I cast cloudburst, which creates a 100 ft. Radius of rain around me for 10 min/level. Unprotected flames are automatically extinguished, protected flames have a 50% chance of being extinguished, and spot, search, listen, and ranged attacks are at -4.
    Finishing his gestures, Kleris whispers sharply and hops off the deck, his dire bat rising from the ship to follow him.
    I hop off the ship with my ring of feather fall, and Neru double moves to follow me.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

5. - Top - End - #5

Fibin

Perhaps the most reluctant of adventurers, Fibin emerges last from his shop. Perched on his arm is a tiny construct, that looks somewhat like a winged cat with a long tail.

Without a word of command the little homunculus launches itself into the air, flying over the edge and diving straight down to search the area. This scout has several advantages over the others. Most importantly, it doesn't need to breathe, so the choking smoke does not deter it from getting closer than the others might be able to.

The gnome stays near the edge of the ship, scanning the surrounding area of the burning houses for anyone or anything that might be a threat. Finally, he heads down much more cautiously than the others. He climbs down the rope ladder last, while his homunculus scouts the wreckage, moving twice as fast as the druid and his bat. The construct looks for any sign of life.

Homunculus:
    Spot - (1d20+1)[10]
    Low-Light and Darkvision
    Edit: Rain causes -4 to spot, so actually got a 6.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-04-19 at 04:29 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

With mixed emotions, the four members of this mission of inquiry depart their vessel and approach the burning homes. The rain Kleris summons does its job quickly and well, extinguishing the flames in all four houses and generally making a wet mess of things in the vicinity. With the flames out, the smoke dissipates, and you can begin to make out some of the details of note. Particularly, you can see that while the smoldering houses are horribly damaged and will be a total loss, they really haven't been burning all that long; vicious as those flames were, they couldn't have been burning for more than half an hour, possibly less even. Even so, there are no signs of life, either from victims or perpetrators of this horrible crime.

Suddenly, through the rain and wind you hear a loud creak 50 yards away as the main door of the barn opens a crack and two hooded figures emerge speaking to one another. In this weather and at this distance, what you can see is that both men are wearing plain traveling cloaks with hoods pulled up to guard against the rain and that while both are around five and a half to six feet, one it significantly bulkier than his slender companion [Roll spots for more details; not gonna be easy]. They stop short as they catch sight of you, then both instantly pan to look upwards at your floating craft and then back down to you. Without further hesitation, both individuals bolt straight back into the barn and pull shut the large main door, the only visible point of entry from this angle.

7. - Top - End - #7

Fibin

Hurrying to catch up to his companions, Fibin climbs the rest of the way down the rope ladder and starts running to catch up. When the two men come out, Fibin tries to get a better look.

His homonculus speeds over to the barn, and looks for a high point of access, a window, or a loose board or something similar. He'll try to sneak in and take a look around.

Fibin
    Spot - (1d20+1)[17]

Homunculus
    Spot - (1d20+1)[21]
    Move Silent - (1d20+3)[9]
    Hide - (1d20+15)[32]

{OOC: how long does that rain penalty for spots go into effect? I didn't apply it for these rolls, in case it was being dismissed now that the fires are out.}
    The Tangled Web

8. - Top - End - #8

Curra squinted through the rain after the hooded figures. There was definitely something afoot here. Hooded figures in the only untouched structure? No sign of the residents? Burning village? She redirected the course of her dash towards the barn, unhooking her bladed chain from it's resting place as a makeshift bandoleer.

Spot: (1d20+9)[5](14) -4 for the rain
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Seeing the fires safely out, Kleris closes a hand to stop the pouring rain. As the sky begins to clear, he squints his eyes to look toward the barn.

Kleris dismisses the cloudburst and makes his spot check.

"Spot - (1d20+10)[12]
    Last edited by ArmorArmadillo; 2008-04-19 at 11:47 PM.

Homebrews:

Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Asmodeus:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your Expedited Messenger enters the barn through a small ventilation window near an upper corner, making a bit of a racket in the process but going entirely unnoticed by the persons below as they move about in a frenzy. The two cloaked figures from before are inside mounting horses, and they're not alone: Three large Ogres wielding rusty greatswords are standing nearby and looking to them as if for instructions, and three broken bodies of human farmers are lying on the ground in the center of the space. The bulkier of the hooded figures turns in his saddle and barks a short command the three in a harsh language you don't understand or even recognize, and then the two mounted men move towards the back opened door and pause, their horses ready to run at a tap, as the three Ogres make their way to the opposite door and raise their swords, ready to chop down the first person who enters.

11. - Top - End - #11

Fibin

The homunculus monitors the situation for changes as Fibin calls to his companions, "Three ogres at the front door, the farmers are dead inside, and the hooded men are mounted and ready to flee out the back. The larger man seems to be the leader.

I suggest the fastest among us, thats you three, block off the hooded men's escape.

I'm going to try and take out the Ogres. I can distract and hold them off for a good long time on my own, that will give you time to handle the riders."

As he lays out his plan, he draws out his crossbow, and loads it. He also enchants it with an infusion... Ogre Bane. As soon as its done, he'll draw out a scroll.

"If thats ok, we need to work quick. I'll send Orien(the homunculus) with you. Give him a nod when you are ready and I'll begin my assault on the ogres. As you know, I can see and hear what he sees and hears, and he can speak for me. He'll tell you if I get in trouble."

At this point, the Homunculus would return and hover next to Kleris.

"So, Objections? Alternatives?"

{OOC: Infusing the Crossbow with Bane(Giants),
    Drawing a Scroll of Fly.}
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-04-21 at 12:14 PM.
    The Tangled Web

12. - Top - End - #12

"Alright Fibin, be careful. I'll try and work fast." Kleris whistles sharply again and Neru leaps into the air and swings around to Kleris. Kleris hops into the saddle and begins to gesture with his divine focus. Their skin seems to toughen and take on a roughly wooden appearance. Meanwhile, Neru takes flight after the hooded figures.

I mount Neru as a move action and cast Barkskin, (+3 Natural AC to both of us) and Neru double moves after the hooded figures.

Homebrews:

13. - Top - End - #13

Fibin

With a nod to the druid, Fibin will attempt to activate the Fly scroll, targeting himself.

Orien follows Kleris, waiting for the signal to begin the attack.

As soon as its given, Fibin will open the doors that hides the Ogres, and begin his assault.

UMD to Activate Scroll - (1d20+18)[35] DC 23
    The Tangled Web

14. - Top - End - #14

The drow nodded silently and started around the back. The mounted warriors would be out of her reach quickly, she knew, but not without their mounts. She pressed herself against the edge of the building, out of sight, and readied herself to leap into their path. The horses would fall swiftly, then she would move in to harry the ogres. With the gnome on the other side and her on this one, the dumb brutes would hardly know which way to turn. She began to spin the daggerlike tip of her chain in a very tight circle, building up momentum for the first strike.

OOC:
    I ready an action to leap between the paths of the horses should they or their riders start to do anything. My chain's drawn.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

OOC: You should all be able to manage a surprise round if you're quick about this. Post your positions and your first actions along with an Initiative roll; I'll take care of the rest.

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Spoiler
    Show
    Position: B7
    Initiative: (1d20+6)[10](16)
    Actions: Move to F6 (F5 if the horse's space extends up instead of down), Attack small rider's horse
    OOC: Those are all large creatures, right? Are you going to mark their larger area occupied?

Curra nodded quickly to the homonculous, and leapt forward and around the corner, coming to stand in the middle of the barn doors. As she ran, she threw out the daggerlike blade on the end of her chain, sending the long, sinuous weapon out toward the smaller rider's horse. The other end of the chain remained free to bite into any creature that dropped it's guard and she spun it in her other hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strike!
    Attack: (1d20+9)[18](27)
    Damage: (1d6+4)[5](9)
    Skirmish: (1d6+1)[5](6)
    The extra +1 on my skirmish damage comes from the Drow Skirmisher feat, in case you were wondering.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2008-04-21 at 12:26 AM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Fibin
    HP: 32/32
    AC: 18 (vt:13 ff:16)

Surprise Round

Fibin draws out a second scroll as he moves up to the doors, and waits for the signal.

As soon as Curra nodded, he would throw open the doors, and give a battle-cry to the ogres as he begins to set his plan in motion.

While the ogres are still trying to react to the surprise attack, he'll activate the scroll he had been holding ready for the occassion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[15]
    Mods: DEX+2
    UMD to Activate Fireball Scroll - (1d20+18)[37] DC 23, Centered between 18-G and 19-H
    Mods: UMD+9, CHA+2, Circumstance+3, Synergy +4, Artisian Bonus +2
    Fireball Damage - (3d6)[9] DC 15 Reflex save for half
    1d6 per level, CL 3
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-04-21 at 10:28 PM.
    The Tangled Web

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Nodding slightly to acknowledge the plan, Ronald quickly moves around the build to harry anyone coming out on the other side. As Ronald nears the barn, he quickly shoots the first target he can see.

OOC: Move to H4 (According to the map, point blank range to the nearest target) and attack the nearest enemy.)

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: [roll0]

Shoot! [roll1]

Damage [roll2]
    Skirmish [roll3] (due to Imp. Skirmish)

AC: 19+3 = 22
    HP: 54

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Lets try if I can get the roll code right, since something went wrong =x

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (d20+5)[15]

Shoot! (d20+12)[22]

Damage (1d8+2)[3]
    Skirmish (4d6)[13] (due to Imp. Skirmish)

AC: 19+3 = 22

20. - Top - End - #20

By the way, forgot to roll.
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[9]
    I assume Neru acts on my initiative, otherwise bookkeeping on it is kind of a pain.

Homebrews:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

As Fibin throws the doors to the Barn wide open, the faces of the Ogres go through a rapid series of emotions: Hunger at the sight of a single opponent armed with a crossbow, confusion as he pulls down a scroll and casts a spell, cold understanding as their eyes track a single glowing bead that flies at light speed past their upraised arms, and blind pain as waves of flame wash over their exposed skin. Momentarily distracted, the two riders glance back over their shoulders as they begin to signal their horses to run, though their focus is immediately returned to the scene in front of them as three warriors all erupt from the corners and attack simultaneously.

Curra's quick motions send his lethal chain flying against the hide of the rider's light warhorse, sending the beast into a buck that nearly unseats the man on top and sends his hood flapping free, revealing a surprisingly fair human face beneath with a venomous look in its eye. That look of anger is quickly replaced by pain, however, as an arrow shot by Ronald passes clean through a bicep and into the wall beyond.

[Kleris' up, followed by normal action in this order:

Curra
    Ronald
    Fibbin
    Bad Guys
    Kleris/Neru

It's OK if you post in advance of your turn; I'll do my best to adjudicate accordingly. I'll also try to update the map tonight.

Squidman, did you preview the thread before you posted your actions? The roller doesn't like that if you did.]

22. - Top - End - #22

(So, wait, did the attack land or not?)
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

OOC: It landed hard and fractured some bones, but the Horse is still standing with the damage and the Rider held on. Sorry, wasn't clear.

24. - Top - End - #24

Curra Hop-Stepped back and aside, towards the other rider's side of the barn doors, letting the chain go with one hand. Her hand dipped to her hip in a blur, And came back up with a wicked, three-pronged hunting boomerang that glimmered faintly with latent magic. It whirred softly as it swiftly crossed the distance between her and the horse. If she could put the horse down, the rider would follow quickly. She gripped the chain once more, ready to take the larger rider should he try to escape.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to H-4 or H-5 depending on how you counted her position last round. Back one, over one. The horse should still be in range with the boomerang.
    Attack: (1d20+9)[18](27)
    Damage: (1d6+3)[3](6)
    Skirmish (1d6+1)[1](2)
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Fibin
    HP: 36/36
    AC: 18(vt:13 ff:16)

Round 1

Standing there looking at the Ogres, Fibin taunts "The only flair about you three is in your nostrils! Now, if any of you have more backbone than a jelly donut, come and get me!"

With that, he retreats back several feet and holds out his arm with the shield strapped to it. With a concentrated effort, he activates the wand in the chamber, to unleash a gout of flames towards the three ogres.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to F-25.
    UMD - (1d20+16)[35] DC 20
    Mods: CHA+2, Ranks+9, Circumstance+3, Artisian Bonus+2
    Fire Damage - (2d4)[4] DC 13 Reflex save for half, originating from the NW corner of my square, aimed North, should hit all 3.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-04-23 at 08:45 AM.
    The Tangled Web

26. - Top - End - #26

Kleris shifts his knes and Neru turns around with surprising agility and begins a dive toward the larger rider, arcing upward after lunging with its bite. While he moves, Kleris begins complicated arcane gestures with his leaf and feather. As he moves his hands, shimmering blue runes begin to form a circle.
    I motion Neru to dive and attack the large rider, and flyby attack back upward afterwards, ending at his original elevation in D5.
    Meanwhile, I sacrifice my Master Air slot to begin casting Summon Nature's Ally II. It requires a DC 12 Concentration Check (Vigorous Motion), and we both provoke attacks of opportunity as we move.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by ArmorArmadillo; 2008-04-21 at 09:22 PM.

Homebrews:

27. - Top - End - #27

Okay, something wierd with rolls,
    Neru's attack was a natural 1, so it misses.
    Concentration - (1d20+10)[14]

Homebrews:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Kleris and mount arc swiftly towards the larger of the two riders, the beast intent on sinking its fangs into the startled rider. The lunge misses, however, and the over-extension of the beast's bite gives the rider enough pause to draw his weapon and react, taking a vicious backhanded swipe with a battleaxe at the creature. The blow is deflected by the barding, but leaves a deep gash across its face and gives the flying animal a spinning bump neither beast nor rider will soon forget. Throwing back his hood to let out a howling bark, the Gnoll rider stares at its attackers with bared fangs and murderous eyes.

As this attack takes its course, Curra hops backwards and targets the second rider's mount, hoping to take it from the picture swiftly. The boomerang spins through the air and lands on target, sending a spray of blood forth as it plants itself in the sternum of the horse and dropping it hard. The rider on top is quick, however, and lands from his horse in a low but stable crouch, ready to move at a moment's notice.

Spoiler
    Show

Curra
    Ronald
    Fibbin
    Bad Guys
    Kleris/Neru (You keep your spell, by the way)

Last edited by Morituri; 2008-04-21 at 10:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quickly dashing from left to right, Ronald tries to open up the defense of the small rider and put an arrow where it hurts. "Here's a little present for you"

Spoiler
    Show

Move from H4 to D4 (20 ft.)

Shoot the Small Rider: (d20+12)[25]

Damage:
    (d8+2)[8]
    Skirmish: {roll]4d6[/roll]

AC: 19+3= 22

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

oops Skirmish: (4d6)[12]