New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Wastes of Shello - Group 2

As the hellbred warrior leaps through the air, it's almost as if time seems to slow, including the rain and the beast. He lands on the creatures inhuman 'face', lurching his fist backwards and delivering a blow of such divine power it causes a powerful white light to emit from where he strikes.
    The light and the fist both seem to drill a hole in the creature's head as it screams in horrible agony, both twisted jaws wrenching open as mucus and blood shoot forth. There are some things it seems to resist, however... it remains capable of movement and the holy venom of Derham's fists seems to have been ineffective.
    It inhales again and unleashes another utterly pained scream, spraying the entire boat with mucus and blood. One of the eyes rolls up almost directly beneath Derham's feet and stares coldly at him...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll get to how Taraliel's turn went and I'll expect Gale's as well. But... tomorrow.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

AC 38 / 18 / 34
    Hp: 121/151

Spoiler
    Show

Couple of questions:
    1) If I have Improved Grab/Grapple, and it has the same, do they cancel each other out...so that I get an Attack of Opportunity?

2) probably wouldn't be worth using Wall of Blades, as it's grapple attack is sky-high...right?

Last edited by TheMeanDM; 2008-04-25 at 10:34 AM.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

[Image removed - too large]
    Not as large as SOME.

Head Executioner for House Kato

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume it's my turn, so here we go...

Gale Stormdancer

Unseen to most eyes, above the ship, Gale was the full witness for the horror and heroism happening below him. Hands moving faster than the eye, drawing forth the magic within, chanting arousing the hidden energies. Lightning arcing between his fingers, rebounding between them, creating a web of light, growing stronger with each spark. A ball of liquid lightning took form, and with a crack of thunder whipped forth to smite the foul creature.

Spoiler
    Show

Gale, still protected by Greater Invisibility and about 50 ft above the ship, casts Orb of Electricity. 15d6 of electricity damage and 4 sonic damage plus possible stun from Thunderbolt class feature. DC against getting stunned for 1 round is 22, and the save is Fortitude. Spell resistance doesn't apply and

Attack roll (ranged touch attack): (1d20+9)[11](20)

Damage: (15d6+4)[55]

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

The spell Taraliel launches at the beast penetrates it's innate barrier against magic, and it passes through the creature's thick skin without any effort. After a mere moment it seems like it's skin cracks and ruptures all over it as it's blood vessels are ripped out by the spell... It cries in ever greater rage as even more of it's blood showers down on the ship. Despite the agony it suffers, it is still capable of movement.

Gale throws down the massive orb of energy upon the creature. It strikes it hard and the energy crackles through the water around it and on it's body. It seems to resist but a small portion of the shocking spell but a large majority of the damage it could inflict seems to. It continues it's agonized bellow.

Nestarion's turn.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-04-25 at 08:30 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Hmm. Hmm! Yes, those... demons will-sleep-with just about any...thing. But I suppose, when... you're the Prince-of-Demons, who's going to... say-no? Certainly-not-a-squid. A kraken, to be... precise. It's... funny, isn't it? Did dear... Father love you, little squid? If-not, then... I can relate. Do Demons-love? Do... krakens? Do you? Would-it-be so sad... little one? Without love, why... live?" Taraliel shook his head, as though clearing it. "It is half-a-demon, half... a squid. Find bones. Bones that... don't belong. They're weak, will-hurt, hurt-bad. Aim well. Vital organs are... still there. Get him, my... pretties." He smiles serenely.

Spoiler
    Show
    +3 to attack for everyone! All praise dark knowledge!
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

The bellowing finally ends, and from the sickly silence comes a deep, booming voice laced with the screams of thousands of souls just itching at your ears. The voice of this... creature is so deep and so loud it simply reverberates through each of your bodies.
    "Do not... attempt to taunt me... elf." It's hideous eye turns from Derham and locks ever so menacingly on the elf, the gigantic pupil staring so intently at him. "I have... lived ages... I know your kind... your kind... is so weak... so young... and so stupid..." It needs to breath in and out to speak, and with every unnatural breath is sprays more water and blood over the ship like an abyssal rain.
    "Your ruin... is nigh... and the Abyss... awaits."

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67

Nestarion
    AC 38 / 18 / 34
    Hp: 112/151

Nestarion grins, his fanged teeth flashing white behind his ruby lips.

"You'll not live one day longer, boastful spawn!" the half-fiend bellows at the Kraken. "Tell your bastard of a father that the Holy Tormentor sends his regards!"

Spoiler
    Show

swift action: re-size Katana to Small size (making it a light weapon)

2x Attacks on the Tentacle wrapping around me

23 bab +2 Bane -2 small size -4 grappled = +19/+14 bab

Attack 1, 2 & Crit Checks (1d20+19=35, 1d20+14=17, 1d20+19=39, 1d20+14=33)

url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1578604/]1d8+18+4d6=45, 1d6=6, 1d8+18+4d6=34, 1d6=3[/url]

Total to Tentacle/Arm: 79
    Total to me: 9
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

The twisted limb seems to strain under Nestarion's attack, and as if the qualities created to destroy creatures of the lowest places of the pit were creating a blade of it's own, the limb struggles and churns before falling off, almost as if destroyed by holy decay. The beast again bellows, this time more in rage than pain, as pain has been all to normal for it.
    Nestarion, too falls from the limb, which had him suspended roughly 10 feet above the deck. His fall, however is entirely neutralized by the damage-resisting qualities of his very skin.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Astrus Bellakin
    180/196 hp
    AC 35 (including radiance)
    Radiances (all allies within 30 feet): Darkvision 60 ft., +2 AC to all evil creatures

Astrus strikes down again and again upon the arms of the kraken, smashing it with more holy power.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attacks: (3)
    (1d20+34)[50] (smite evil)
    (1d20+26)[31]
    (1d20+21)[26]

In case of crits: (17-20/x2)
    (1d20)[6]
    (1d20)[8]

Damage:
    (5d6+23)[39] (smite evil)
    (5d6+8)[19]
    (5d6+8)[30]
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2008-04-26 at 02:15 PM.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

The creature swings its remaining limbs over the side of the ship, Astrus takes his stance and catches one on his blade. The steel of his weapon glows bright with holy energy as it collides with the monstrous flesh. The abomination of a beast cries out again as the very sounds of the heavens ring out from his sundering flesh. The limb is ripped from the body and it, too slams into the deck, nearly hitting one of the very frightened crew-men. The monster's blood seems to splatter onto Astrus like a sickening layer of paint.

The captain shouts out over the ship, still standing where he did "Nary a more arrogant monster I've met, I reckon! Yer blood may be o' a bloody right demon! But it's also splattered all over me Old Woman! Ahaha!" He positions his weapon as he did previously and with enough force to push with wind to his face from the sheer speed of his weapon he hurls it at the creature.
    The strike harmlessly ricochets off the skin of it's body, it flies back to his hand. He hurls it again with equal force, just missing a vital portion by inches. "I'll gut yeh open, I swear it!" As he catches it a second time he hurls it a third and final time, this time the massive curved sword slices through demonic flesh, spraying more blackened blood over the deck and ocean and it returns to him, causing him to let out another great laugh.

"Captain! The ship's taking too much damage from the arms!" One of the crewmen cries out. "We don' do anything about it, she'll break apart!"
    "Well then yeh bloody git, start fixin' 'er up! Yer not a fighter, yer a sailor!" With that, most of the crew begins to climb the mast and tries doing repairs on the damaged wood and rope.
    A few that remain and fight still attack, but barely do anything to the creature's flesh.

Vega's turn.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71

Vega

Seeing the carnage the great beast has inflicted, Vega's glare sets on the monster.

"I know of you, spawn of Demogorgon." she shouts, tearing her holy symbol, a solemn face adorned with sparkling sliver leaves, from her belt, "And how you have terrorized these seas for far too long! Feel the holy wrath of Obad-Hai, and never curse the world with your presence again!"

Thrusting the symbol out in front of her, it seems to glow with white wisps of fire. A split second later, a great column of white fire roars downward towards the beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting her purified Flame Strike, making sure that the bone devil does not get caught in the blast. And since the beast is a evil outsider, damage gets inceased to d8's.

Flame Strike: (12d8)[58]

Bone Devil sting: (1d20+14)[34]
    damage: (3d4+2)[10]+poison
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

A fissure rips open from the sky above the beast and ties directly to Vega's holy symbol, calling the white fire down upon the unholy creature. It screeches in horrible pain... A massive rift opens in it's flesh, spilling a great deal of it's blood. The water around it looks almost like blood itself, and again, much of it gets on deck.
    The osyluth tries to pierce it's flesh, but even though it bypasses it's leathery skin, it can't seem to puncture deep enough to damage it.

Taraliel speaks up over the raging waters and raging beast, "Poor little... fiendling. Don't-you-know you've al...ready lost? You should have left this ship... alone, alone, all, all alone. It's too-late, too little, too... far. I have your... scent. Your... blood. You cannot... hide. I am Death. I am... Life. You... are dead."

"...You will... all suffer..." It pauses for a moment, but then vaults itself at the ship with it's jaws out and bites deep into the ship's hull...
    There is a sickening cracking sound as wood splinters and bolts begin to fall out of the woodwork. Water gushes into the area directly below deck, freezing and full of unholy, sickly-smelling blood.
    It then ricochets off the side of the ship where it bit in and begins swimming downward quickly, deep into the depths of the freezing water... Derham still on it's back.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-04-27 at 03:41 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

Derham clings to the beast with one hand as it careens through the water.
    You are a worthy foe, but I will not let you escape so easily. I said you would be struck down by the fist of Adamus, and thus you shall! He continues to shout, despite being dragged through water, and his enemy unable to hear anyway, but he transmits the meaning to the creature telepathically, so it knows it's fate, then sends sends forth a strike which he hopes will crush it's skull.

Spoiler
    Show

Using Divine Strike, and stunning fist.
    (1d20+25)[34]
    (10d6+6)[38] Strike Damage
    (5d6+7)[20] Half fire-Half Divine Energy
    (13d6)[51] Extra damage from strike (not sure if it's just base damage or divine energy)
    (1d4)[3] (sanctify Weapon)
    Spoiler
    Show

Me: When I started the adventure, my character was handed a bag full of 100 MW daggers.
    Will: Wow, that's, 30,000gp. That's more than you can get with a wish spell
    Me: Yeah, it was more than I could ever wish for.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

The creature's eyes bulge when Derham strikes it directly above said optic. The malevolent sphere rolls around to stare at Derham for several seconds, not filled with the hate it was before, not the sickening, putrid evil that possessed every fiber of it's very being. In it's eye, there was fear. After these moments pass, the eye rolls back into it's head and it's entire body goes completely limp.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3,857 XP everyone!
    Edit: Can you believe you all kicked the ass of a CR 20?

Meanwhile on the ship, the captain runs down the steps and toward the lower deck. Along the way he simply shouts a long string of truly horrid obscenities. "YOU RIGHT FOOLS, GET DOWN HERE AN' HELP ME!!" The crew straightens up and runs down to help him, dropping their weapons.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-04-27 at 04:38 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75

Nestarion spares a brief glance overboard.

He could go after one person, or help save the lives of many aboard ship.

He sighed. Decisions, decisions. He thought to himself.

"Captain!" he yelled out. "Do you need my strength, or should I go after our overboard hero!"
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Astrus, seeing the monster fall, rushes around the deck, healing those who need it, ignoring his own injuries.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yah, that was pretty good. We rock! Also, I have 3 CMW's available and 3 CLW, used on anyone who needs it.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

The captain shouts again, "YER DAMN RIGHT I DO! GRAB A PLANK 'N START NAILIN'!"

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Gale Stormdancer

Seeing the beast flee, Gale descends down to the deck and dismisses his invisibility. He starts to help where he can with little skill he has - with a hammer and nails.

19. - Top - End - #79

Vega

"Pelemindairinu'gosugoindakridgephindimon'shokusph u'durai!" Vega shouts a seemingly unintelligible phrase; but the stinger-tailed creature seems to understand, streaking into the water after snarling, in pursuit of the hellbred paladin.

Grabbing up the nearest hammer, she gets to work along with the others, knowing that there's not more that she can do. But when the fiend finally arises from the waters, a thought crosses her mind; causing her to once again say a long list of syllables to the fiend.

Spoiler
    Show
    Vega basically commands the bone devil to turn invisible, and to go underwater and bring Derham onto the deck without hurting him. And once its accomplished that, to create a wall of ice along the bottom of the boat to stop it from sinking.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

After only a few moments, the body of the devil floats to the surface of the water, unmoving and face down in the water...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry Devin, blame Andy.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81

A few moments later, Derham surfaces, taking a moment to locate the ship, then swimming towards it with one arm, the other hanging behind him.

He reaches the ship, then shouts up
    "Can someone toss me a rope? I have a gift for the captain, and I'd like to get out of the water before I'm attacked by another Fiend!"
    Last edited by Regord_Silentflame; 2008-04-29 at 02:36 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Me: When I started the adventure, my character was handed a bag full of 100 MW daggers.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

One of the crewmen sees you and hastily throws a rope over the side to allow you to get back on, but quickly ties it somewhere and goes back down to try and fix the hole in the ship.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83

Derham reaches for the rope, tying the end to something beneath the water, then grabbing onto the rope and slowly climbing his way up onto the ship.

Once on the ship, Derham plants himself firmly, and then begins to haul the rope back up. After a minute, he gets it all the way up, reaching over the side and hauling aboard a giant mass of bone and bloody flesh. He loosens the rope, tossing it in a hasty coil to the side, then looking around for the captain.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Derham quickly realizes no one is on deck, and the sound of nails being hammered into wood, as well as the smell of hot tar to fill in the gaps. "BE QUICK, THERE'S ALOT O' WATER IN 'ERE!"

Taraliel moves around the ship to those still wounded by the creature, his hands glowing white as his magic heals injuries. When he's done he cracks all of his knuckles just by making a fist.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-05-03 at 08:10 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

With the sound of rushing water and pounding of nails, filling her ears; Vega remains unaware of her devil's fate. But with the water not stopping, she realizes that something is up.

'It must have found a loophole in my commands again, damn fiend.' she mentally curses, deciding to seek help of a different sort.

"Shalm, send me the aid of a spirit of the waters." She says a small prayer to her patron, a few moments later, some of the water shapes to something vaguely humanoid.

Spoiler
    Show
    Vega casts Summon Monster V to bring in a medium sized water elemental. She then commands it to make all the water flow out of the ship, and to keep more from coming it.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:

26. - Top - End - #86

His muscles straining to hold the planks in place while others nail them in, Nestarion is doing what he can, how he can, to help save the ship that he and the others now occupy.

Upon hearing the...wizard...or whatever he was...spewing forth his request to get some of the beasts flesh, he growls low in his throat.

From his belt he draws a dagger and then hurls it, end over end, directly at the spot in front of the wizard.

The blade of the dagger drives home, sinking into the wood of the deck, half-way up the sharp blade. It vibrates slightly with the power of the throw that propelled it.

"Get it yourself. We're a bit busy SAVING OUR LIVES AND YOURS TOO." he says rather loudly, and with great agitation. He then turns back around to grab another plank and get it into place.
    Last edited by TheMeanDM; 2008-04-30 at 08:52 AM.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

After several hours of nailing boards and applying sealant to the gaps in the wood, it appears the ship is saved... It seems as though, however, that even if the ship seemed like at so many points that it should have gone under, it didn't. The captain sits against the inner hull panting with his legs spread out. "Y'lot did good... dunno 'ow she stayed up after all that..." He smiles, showing his missing and uneven teeth, "S'pose ol' Derkus smiles on the ol' woman, eh? Hahah!" He slaps his knee.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88

Derham stayed above deck, looking about to make sure he'd be the first to know if they were attacked by another fiend. Even though everyone else was helping to keep the ship afloat, Derham hadn't worked a tool in all his life, and so he felt it more appropriate for him to keep watch. When the nailing started to die down below deck, he went down below to check on the situation.

"If you're all done down here captain, I have something above deck you may be interested in." he shouted over to the captain after he'd found him.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

"Alrigh', what have yeh got ta show me?" He stands up and follows Derham above to the upper deck, looking around at the still reddened water.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

"You let me on board this ship so that I could catch you some "Crankshafts". Anyone can cover their ship with suits of armor, but how many captains have the jaws of a hell-spawn creature?" He asked, grabbing the captain by the shoulder and turning him around to face the bloody jaws he had hauled on deck.
    Spoiler
    Show