New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Aerokean Chronicles: Part 1

Whilest in your normal routine, whether it be skewering enemies, swindling passerbys, or plain traveling, you come across a magnificent gem. Perhaps it was on a pedestal in a ruin you were exploring, or lying unseen amongst the garbage in an alley, it does not matter. The moment you set your eyes upon the gem that shines with all imaginable colors you approach and draw your hand out unconsciously. And the moment you touch it, all goes blank as you lose consciousness with the feeling that you're falling...

(OOC: You can PM how exactly you find the gem and what you were doing then if you want to)

You wake up. You cannot see anything. It hurts everywhere. It pains you to even try to move your eyelids. Slowly, your eyes adjust to the dark and you can make out the ceiling. It feels like you're in a bed. You try to look around but your neck won't move. After a while, inexpressible amount of fatigue overcomes you and you fall asleep.

After a dreamless sleep, Otheyrn wakes. Thing seem better; it still hurts if you try to move, but the pain is bearable this time. Another thing: you are extremely hungry. You try to sit up, your body feels so much heavier than it did before. You look around and see six others in bed. Your clothes have been removed completely and your equipment cannot be seen. You are in a small building, sunlight filtering through wooden shutters. There is a big double door to the right of you and an crude structure of a cross with a dot under each arm at the front of the room. Long benches line the floor. You assume that it is a church of sorts. The doors creak open letting sunlight and a blond girl in. She is carrying a tub full of water and towels, sees you and lets out a scream and drops the tub, running out before you can speak.

Another man (Josech) stirs from the scream and awakens. He too feels pain but endures it. Dressed in simple clothes, he sees the metal construct that is Otheyrn.

(OOC: Only Otheyrn and Josech is awake at this point. Since you don;t speak a word of common language, be sure to display what type of tone and body language you're using while speaking)
    Last edited by Xilehxt; 2008-04-20 at 07:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Aerokean Chronicles: Part 1

Otheym

"Hrrrm, not the first time I sent some child away screaming....", he says, coming as deep rumbling from his 'mouth'.

Anyone watching would see a truly massive creature rising from the bunk. Obviously not human, and over six feet tall and with a massive body, listeners can almost hear the bed sighing with relief as it bends back to a more natural state when he stands. Covered head to toe in a dull, matte finished silver metal, his strides make sounds resembling hammer blows upon the floor. He catches himself, and attempts to walk a little more softly, as he does not know what strength the floor is. As he walks, there is a sound of metal on metal and other mechanical noises from inside his body.

Turning about the room, one could see that his entire body is metal, with bits of some sort of dark wood visible here and there, but only as his joints move and they are as quickly covered back up. Etched across what would be the top of his chest on a human is a beautiful script that he would be proud to translate for you, if anyone would be able to understand his language. The other notable observation about him is his 'eyes', two softly glowing wells of deepest blue, the color of the desert sky.

Noticing his lack of equipment, he flexes his massive gauntleted 'hands'. He does not need his possessions, but he would feel better with them. He realises that he could very well have already been broken up and sold for scrap if these people wanted to, so that for the moment they are not enemies, but they are not friends either. He prefers to think of himself as guest for now.

As he pans across the room, he catches sight of the other people in their convalescent beds. "None from my unit, what in blazes happened to me? I don't recognise that symbol..." he mutters, then sees the one that has awoken. He quickly assumes a defensive posture, positioning himself so that neither the door nor this newcomer are to his rear. Still exercising caution until he has a clearer idea of what has happened, he barks State your name, and what you know of this place! Why am I here? Where am I?" The tone is that of one used to giving orders and having them obeyed, the speech clipped and precise, as if it had military training behind it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vampire Ninja Death Squirrel by Jacklu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    Frankly, we're a bunch of nerds here, and we like to argue.
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger
    Grishak, Blue Psion Nomad
    Otheym, Warforged Ashworm Dragoon

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josech

Josech was rubbing his back, groaning at the loud noise that had awoken him, the general pain all over his body, and then wincing again at the strange construct barking at him in some odd dialect.

Must be some guy's pet golem...

"Huh, what? What's your problem? You're one of those golem things I've heard about back home, right? Didn't your master teach you the common tongue?" His tone was the near opposite: Casual, unrefined, and slow - the slow part being more of genuine grogginess than anything else, though.

"C-O-M-M-O-N," he said again, slowly, more intently. "Do-you-under-stand?" He groaned again as he shuffled up cross-legged, towards the metallic being. As if he'd done it times before, his hand reached behind him, only to find..thin air.

Wait a minute..where's my stuff? Don't tell me I dropped that funny backpack like I always do my money, too..
    Last edited by Bleen; 2008-04-20 at 10:47 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Otheym

Apparently the quick assumption of the defensive stance took more out of him than he thought, as the massive mechanoid staggered for a moment. Shaking his head and stabbing out an arm, he catches himself before he falls - but not before putting his fist damn near clear through the wall. It passes in a moment, and he brings himself back to the little man who was talking to him.

"What the devil language is that? he thinks to himself. "Looks like he's in rough shape too, and as scrawny as he is, must be hitting him harder than me. He's lucky he's not losing whatever his last meal was. Tough for him." He pauses for a moment, and if a creature without facial muscles could assume a thoughtful expression he would have it now.

He moves cautiously to a window, still not leaving the smaller one or the door to his back, and glances outside. He also taps an odd pattern on the floor and base of the wall, then holds still as if expecting something.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+2)[3] (this includes -10 to Wisdom)
    Listen (1d20)[14] (this includes -10 to Wisdom)

OOC: Tim, the tapping on the ground is what we talked about in the PMs the other day.
    Please describe the outside and any sounds I hear, including any sounds in response to the tapping.

"Do you understand me, meat?", again in the clipped, direct tones (OOC: Tellene Merchant Tongue - same as Common). Not waiting long for an answer, he tries again, this time in a much more gutteral, barking language: "What about now, fleshling?" (OOC: Goblin, at least Tellene's version of it). Finally, he clears his head with a violent shake, and tries again, this time in a language that sounds like pipe organ music coming from him: "Who are you, and what in the name of the Royal Hareem is going on here!" (OOC: Celestial)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

5. - Top - End - #5

There is no response from the tapping.

After awhile, a young man clad in white robes with the same symbol as the structure at the front of the room hewn in gold on his chest rushes into the room. He sees you both and says something, hands in the air and swaying them down. You both can see several human children peeking from the door. The young man then says something in the same language that the iron man spoke last. [Celestial]Can you understand me?

6. - Top - End - #6

From all the commotion, Krysus, Marcus and Mya awaken as well.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josech

The young man groaned again, shaking his head at both the golem and the man in white. He slumped against the wall, nearly limp. "Okay..either of you?" The dialect had a rough, almost roaring, yet calm feel to it, as if the language itself were touched my the wisdom and patience of many ages. (OOC: Draconic, or at least the version Josech knows)

"I better be dreaming.." He hoped, at least.
    Last edited by Bleen; 2008-04-20 at 11:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcus Runethane

Without a single hair upon his head the crusader begins to stir in an attempt to rise up from his bed. Failing that he hears a jumble of voices and turns in place to face away from them to reveal the back of his skull. Etched into his smooth flesh is a firebird in tears with wings stretching to the skies. It was only then that Marcus could open his eyes and utter his disappointment, "Ego suscitatio ex nex tantum ut reperio a domus of Deus. Verum ego sum relinquo."

((Can he understand Josech's Draconic with his own? And yes, his world's common is Latin. I'm no good at latin, so don't expect it to be accurate. XP))
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mya

All the commotion causes Mya to awake roughly. The very young woman is slender with short black hair and dark eyes. With a very pale complexion the blood that streams down her nose stands out sharply in contrast. The hell..... Room must have been traped. Damn, Wing will never let me hear the end of this. Mya sits up groaning and swearing sharply. Ow sonofa----!? She starts saying then ends in a shriek as she notices everyone else in the room for the first time. Her head falls back against the bed as she falls back down again and squeezes her eyes shut.

She slowly sits up again and peeks out one eye. Gah! Your still here! Sooooo not good. Mya slowly looks around the room taking everything in. K.. Different room. Its day out. Stranger. Stranger. Whattheheckisthat? More strangers. Kids. Mya Harper your in trouble. She wipes the blood off her face with one of hands and trys cleaning it on the blanket. Why is it so drafty in here though?
    Last edited by North; 2008-04-21 at 12:45 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Seeing the many of you waking up, the white clad man points to the beds saying [celestial]You need to stay in bed. You all are in no shape to be on your feet. He then says something to the children and they go away. Looking to the three that just woke up and seeing the blank looks on thier faces as he speaks celestial, he looks towards the iron man cautiously and says, [celestial]I do not know what sort of creature you might be, but you seem to understand the language of the saints. Can you translate for me?

11. - Top - End - #11

Otheym

Seeing the man in white, Otheym tensed in preparation of a strike. But the man's peaceful gestures and, more significantly, the sight of children behind him, gave the mechanoid pause. If he was going to attack, he would have done it when I was asleep, and probably not brought the children along - unless he was teaching them how to do it he thought morbidly. [merchants tongue]"At least someone in this place is capable of communication, maybe I can finally get some answers."

Again the sounds of organ music filled the air as he spoke [celestial]"Yes I can understand you ..... priest?" he asks hesitantly, attempting to shake off the pains and fog in his head. The malaise is still affecting him, but Otheym refuses to get back in bed. His training will not allow it, and he trusts no one here yet. Hearing the gaggle of voices from the others that had awoken as well, he recognized none of their speech either. [celestial]"Wait, what? Translate for them? I can't even understand what they are saying! The buzzing in my head is so bad I can barely understand you. I don't see how."

Being a soldier, he is unused to unclear situations. Wishing for an enemy to attack, instead of this priest and a bunch of children or the invalids still in their beds, his frustration is clear. [celestial]"I want to know what the blazes is going on around here! Where is my unit? Where am I? Am I a prisoner?" This last is a shout, sounding like a crescendo. He draws himself up to his full height, trying to intimidate an answer out of someone, but the effort is too much. He collapses, resembling a mighty tree felled in a storm. He falls onto a small table, crushing it completely under him.

While his limbs may not be fully cooperating, his eyes still glow a furious blue. In a low voice, those with excellent hearing may hear "[merchants tongue]"I'm sorry I have failed you, my Caliph. May Ma'Keer and I ride with you in the next life for eternity."
    Last edited by Meat Shield; 2008-04-21 at 08:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

12. - Top - End - #12

Seeing the distrustful gesture of the proud soldier, the priest sighs and says, [celestial]I will cast a spell so that I may translate, hopefully, for all of you. He gestures to the others to stay calm as he reaches into his robes, taking out a gold pendant of the same symbol (cross with a dot under each arm) and starts to chant. (none of you can think clearly enough to identify the spell) Light infuses around the pendant and moves to the mans throat.

At this point, the last two wake up in time to hear the details.

He says again, "Can you all understand me now? First things first, I will tell you that I mean no harm and that you are all safe. A week ago, villagers spotted shooting stars in broad daylight followed by a huge noise in the forest. When they went to investigate, they found all seven of you in craters. They thought you were all dead for sure but one of them was brave enough to check for breathing. They carried you to me for healing, but magic would not work on your injuries, and in the case of that lady *points to Mya* it seemed to worsen her condition. So I and the children of the church have been taking care of you until today. I was throughly surprised when I had cut that thick cloth of yours *he says this to Otheym* there was not a man but a being of wood and metal. Now explain yourselves. Who are you and why are you here?"

(OOC: The priest, seeing that you all do not share a common language, translates for who speaks)
    Last edited by Xilehxt; 2008-04-21 at 10:26 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Phiranthyl Olminnakra

A tall, lithe male begins to groggily sit up, brushing aside the blanket that had been covering him.

His skin is dark brown, almost sooty in appearance. His facial features are too sharp, his chin sticking out defiantly and high cheekbones giving him an almost skeletal appearance, with two fierce (though groggy at the moment) orange eyes shining from sunken in sockets. What can only describes as a "mane" of fiery red hair frames his face, the points of his ears sticking up through his hair, a good 3 inches past his head. Though thin framed, tightly corded muscles stretch across his arms and torso. As you look at his arms and chest more carefully, many tiny scars, or perhaps burns decorate his skin. There is almost a sort of pattern to be seen, but you would need a closer look to try and discern any meaning they might have.

As he shakes his head in an attempt to clear the fogginess he is feeling, his hands reach down to his waist and fumble around searchingly. The searching takes on a slightly more frantic pace and his bloodshot eyes widen, taking in his surroundings for the first time.

[Ignan]"What in the Hells is going on here?"[/Ignan]

He unceremoniously rolls off the side of his cot and crouches defensively behind it, the effort obviously costing him more than he intended as his breathing comes in rasps.

When the priest comes in and speaks with the man of wood and metal, he strains to listen to them, but cannot understand. As the priest pulls out his symbol and begins his chanting, the fiery haired male extends a hand and strains in some kind of concentration...unfortunately all he succeeds in doing is causing himself to swoon and fall back on his posterior, one hand behind him keeping him from falling completely to the floor, the other raised to his temple. His discomfort is obvious.

[Ignan]"By Flamannar, what have they done to me?"[/Ignan]

Spoiler
    Show

Can everyone understand the priest?

14. - Top - End - #14

Mya

Blushing deeply upon realizing her state of undress, Mya ceases trying to stand up and lies flat on the bed holding her blanket tightly in place. I dont know why or how I got here. I dont even know where here is! All I know is that I feel like a building fell on me. She says quickly. We crashed to the planet? What the blazes is going on...?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaz Tellic
    The last figure to stir could pass for a child by his size, but his grey-lined hair and lines on his face seem to tell a different story. To those who know halflings, he looks to be an exceptionally tall one, though the most eye catching feature is his left arm. Or rather, his lack of a left arm.
    uhhh...my head...I have to stop going to dwarven taverns. Definitely getting too ol.... what? where am I?!? And who is this?
    Jaz shakes his head and focuses on the words of the priest, trying to make sense of what he hears. Proping himself up on his right arm, he begins to question the apparent priest,"[Contumnus]Shooting Stars in daylight? Sounds like some sort of Il-Deneiri siege weapon, but why would they use it on random scenery? And why take us....", but soon realizes his strength is lacking, too, as his right elbow collapses. Jaz tries to steady himself whit this left arm, realizing a second later that not having a left arm complicates things a tad bit, and with a dull thud he falls back onto the bed.
    [Halfling]I really am getting to old for this.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josech

Josech shook his head, rubbing his temples as he tried to recall. "Ugh..what happened..what happened...? There were others with me, but..hey, you can understand me?" He returned to his casual dialect, addressing the man in white with a struggling gaze. "Was there anyone else? Like a big, stupid-looking guy? Or a stuffy fellow? ...Uggh..." He fell back into his bed, panting as he gazed straight toward the ceiling.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcus

The bald man's ear's perk up when the gibberish coming from the others settles down and a single clear voice. He slowly pushes himself up and turns to face the priest and the moment he takes note of the ecclesiastical air about him he scowls. He slumped back down upon the bed, "<I do not recall falling from the sky. My last thoughts were of pure vengeance and the justice of seeing a foul warlock torn in half. I take it you did not find the body of a pale man burned by the sun?>"

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

18. - Top - End - #18

No, these seven were all. There was also a monster that we have not seen its like before, a giant worm, covered with plates and spikes. The villagers did not want to approach it so we left it there. Really, all of you should stay in bed, you all look like a fly could knock you down. *He ushers the lot of you who are being cautious into bed, but gives up when met with opposition* By the power of Helios, I am able to converse with you all, but I can gather that you all come from different parts as well. My name is Jermaine, Brother of the Church of Helios. Do you all at the least hail from this world of Aerok?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

At the name of planet they're on, Jaz looks up.
    Aerok? You say this is the planets name? You had better not be playing us for fools young man. He says in the tone of a grandfather talking to a mischievous grandchildren. Those looking at his face can tell by the scrunch of his eyebrows that the halfling is deep in though, though about what is impossible to tell.
    A different plane? How? Wait, I remember a gem...and I had to have it...then darkness. But if this is a different plane, how to get back home?
    Spoiler
    Show

These are mainly so Jaz can truly say he has no idea about what's going on here. The Planes is to recognize the plane's name, while the arcana is to try and place the gem.
    knowledge Arcana:(1d20+9)[18]
    Knowledge the Planes: (1d20+9)[13]
    Last edited by MeklorIlavator; 2008-04-21 at 07:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcus

Marcus lets out a grunt before addressing the priest again in his native tongue, "<I've never heard of Aerok, on my world or any other. Tell me its a theocracy and I'd much rather stay in bed until my body decays and all that remains is bone.>"

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

21. - Top - End - #21

Aerok is the world we live in. We are in the Southern Province of Mordrie, which is not a theocracy, rather, it is a monarchy. What do you mean by planet? You mean the stars? Now let us have something about you, sirs and madam.

At that point, some of the children come back with hot mushroom soup with spoons and plates. Jermaine offers everyone to take a bowl and eat while talking.

22. - Top - End - #22

Otheym

Hearing that Ma'keer made the journey as well, Otheym felt a little better. She is as tough as I am, if I made it then so did she.

Creaking like an old mill, the armored giant struggles back to his feet. Speaking again in the language of the saints, he intones "I am Otheym, Sipahi to His Glorious Majesty the Caliph Murad, sovereign ruler of the Emirate of D'jishy." He stands at attention, regardless of the pain, as to do otherwise would be a great insult to the Caliph.

Relaxing a bit, leaning against a pillar, he continued. "I know not what has caused me to fall as fire from the sky in this place. I was merely on patrol with my unit, and we investigated an oasis. There I beheld a beautiful jewel, hanging from a palm. I reached for it, then, nothing. I awoke here."

"I must insist on being taken to the place where you found us. I must tend to Ma'Keer! She may need my help! I ---, I---, excuse me, I apologise for my rudeness. In my culture, the guest is honored, but must also in turn honor the host. You have tended to us in our time of need. If you take me to the place where you found us, I will show you that the worm you describe will not harm you." Addressing the gray-haired child-like person and the bald one, he intoned "You dishonor yourselves by your rudeness. If these people wanted to hurt us they already would have. You should thank them for tending to you."

Responding to his question, Otheym continued: "I have never heard of this world, Aerok, nor of Helios. My world is called Tellene. But my location does not matter, only that I thank you for your kindness," and he bows as far as he can without endangering anymore furniture.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

23. - Top - End - #23

You are in no shape to walk. Eat, if *he eyes where the warforged's mouth should be*...you're able to. If he is tame, I will personally go and get him, just tell me how. A different world? There have been only fables and myths about other worlds. Have you all come from different worlds as Otheym has?

Jermaine seems intent on hearing the tales, his soup forgotten. The children, still wary of the strange bunch, hide behind benches and doors to listen.

24. - Top - End - #24

Mya
    Aerok? Never heard of it. The place I'm from was called Wairos. Mya sighs in exasperation. Well Jerry, my names Mya Harper. I was searching for supplies in the trade ruins. Then I saw this really pretty rock and... Well I dont remember after that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is he translating what everyone else is saying as well?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyrsus

In the furthest bunk, the last figure has yet to stir. He is another bald man, with lightly tanned skin a and thick black eyebrows. Although he is obscured beneath the blankets of his bed, it is possible to see the general shape of his body. He is of middling height, but well built and exercised. What is visible is unmarked and bare except for a light scar here and there.

Until now, he has simply breathed with closed eyes and a barely open mouth, but now he opens his mouth and draws one hand out from under the covers.

"Food." He says in a simple, demanding tone, and holds out his hand as if to receive something. His eyes remain closed.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

26. - Top - End - #26

A plate with a bowl of mushroom soup with a wooden spoon in it is handed to Kyrsus. Jermaine looks eagerly at the others for their introduction.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcus

He slowly repositions himself into a pose that will allow him to eat without making a terrible mess of the whole ordeal. Prodding at the soup he grunts again, "<I care not for honor or courtesy. My brother Cassius Runethane followed the scriptures and lived by the letter of his Lord's will. Chivalry and courtesy under the scrutiny of an unending gaze of a sun god. I reject whatever the Gods have written for Marcus Runethane. You needn't translate any of that.>"

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

28. - Top - End - #28

At least your name then. He is called Marcus Runethane.

Jermaine looks at the lot of you and says,

I am finding this hard to believe. Why here? How? For what purpose? Time could answer these questions but for now, let me take care until you are able again.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Phiranthyl Olminnakra

The lithe, fire-haired one rubbed his temples for a bit as the newcomer babbled on. He ears twitched a bit as familiar sounds began coming from the man's lips. Listening intently to the names and stories of the others, one piece stuck out in his mind. Holding up his hand, he beckoned the attention of the boy with the food, and the priest. Taking a bowl and hungrily sipping from it'd edge, he wiped his mouth on his arm before asking,

[Ignan]"I am called Phiranthyl, and I have also not heard of this "Aerok". I am from a world called Elmantyr. I have seen his kind before,"[Ignan]

He says while pointing to the halfling,

[Ignan]"but they normally have wings like an eagle. The woman, did she mention some kind of gem? I was scouting the lands of the dwarves and I also came upon a beautiful gem in my path. When I reached for it…I felt like I fell, and the next thing I knew….I was waking up here, feeling like I had been beaten by a Balor."

Turning to the halfling, Phiranthyl begins speaking in another tongue,

[Elmantyrian]"Where have your wings gone little one?"[Elmantyrian]

As the soup settles into his stomach, he feels some of his strength returning and he greedily slurps down the rest and moves back into his cot when Jermaine assists him.

30. - Top - End - #30

After translating that Phiranthyl has said, Jermaine looks at him, fixated on his ears. You're an elf, aren't you? Elves have been getting harder and harder to see outside of their forests, in fact, it's the first time I've met one. Your hair is what threw me off, for I have never heard of such crimson hair. He looks to Kyrsus, Josech, and the strange gnome with hairy feet and without a beard, who supposedly has wings in other worlds, still not having heard from them. Upon hearing that Phiranthyl is an elf, the eyes of the children are somewhat focused on him more.