New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Aerokean Chronicles: Part 1

Josech

Josech muttered a series of nonsense under his breath, still flat on his bed before speaking up."Aerok? Urgh..never heard of the place. Call me Josech..." The bed creaks under him as he sits up again, hunched over with a tired, distant look on his face. "The world I'm from, we called it 'Faerun'. Me and some others...we fancied ourselves 'treasure hunters', see? So we were on a job, and then..there was a gem on a podium. So it's only natural..heheh." He breaks out into a short burst of coughing again, and then looks over towards the soup the priest had brought in. "So, I've told you my story..how about some of that soup you've got there..."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

It seems as though the other worlds do not differ from our own all that much. We are able to converse and understand. I am curious of the gem you talk about. It seems like most of you have encountered it...and while organizing your gear, I did find seven of those gems.

Jermaine goes into a side room and returns with the same gems that you all have seen and touched before passing out.

Oh, by the way, all your belongings are in that room. I see that you are all accomplished in your fields and well equipped. Never before have I seen such riches in one place. Certainly it stands out in that old storage room.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Phiranthyl Olminnakra

The elf nods to the priest,

[Ignan]Yes, indeed I am an elf, but no elf from my world has lived in a forest for millenia. Not since we embraced Flamannar, of the Cleansing Flame."[Ignan]

As he mentions this name, he makes a sigil with his hand over his heart and inclines his head respectfully.

[Ignan]"My people once had skin and hair to blend in with their woodland surroundings, but since the Time of Choosing we have moved to the deserts and the mountains of fire and our appearances have been changing. If your elves are missing, perhaps you should check those places.[Ignan]

When the gems are brought from the other room, Phiranthyl quickly identifies the one he had seen and holds out his hand, expectantly.
    Last edited by Diarmuid; 2008-04-22 at 03:13 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaz Tellic
    As the priest relays the strange elf's words, Wings? My kind have never had wings, at least where I'm from. Shaking his head, Jaz continues,Heck, most won't even get on an airship. Something about keeping their legs on firm ground. My names Jaz Tellic, by the way, formerly of the Rougez’s Roughnecks. And that soup does look good, could I have some please?

5. - Top - End - #35

(OOC: Soup was given to everyone already, question, do warforged eat?)

The gems are all identical, and you do not get the same enchanting feeling from any of them. It is impossible to tell them apart.

I do not know much about gems, especially magnificent ones like these, but I am curious as what kind of gem it is. It resembles a diamond, but shimmers with a different color every changing second. *he hands one to Phiranthyl* Yes, do take a closer look.

A bell rings in the distance and all the children run out.

Ah, the men are going out to work. Pay them no heed.
    Last edited by Xilehxt; 2008-04-22 at 03:04 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Otheym

Otheym kindly refuses the soup, but does ask for a bundle of tools that were in his pack. He is happy to hear that his equipment apparently made it as well, and would like to investigate some of his aches and pains using the tools in his warforged repair kit.

The mechanoid is hesitant to touch the proffered gem - after all the last time he touched it, he didn't wake for a week. Seeing the others hold theirs with no ill effects, he accepts it. Must get this back to the Vizier, he would want to investigate it... he thinks to himself.

In response to the priest's offer to get Ma'Keer, he replies "She is tame for me, but I do not know about others. I would feel better if you would let me do it, she can be very dangerous if she feels threatened. Perhaps a cart could be brought 'round to take me to the place I fell?"

Finally accepting that even standing is too much of an effort for him right now, Otheym gently gets back in bed and begins to investigate his injuries once the repair kit is brought to him. "Could you please tell us more of these lands, Priest? You apparently find the elf and small one strange, while I have met similar creatures many times. You do not get many strangers here?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vampire Ninja Death Squirrel by Jacklu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    Frankly, we're a bunch of nerds here, and we like to argue.
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger
    Grishak, Blue Psion Nomad
    Otheym, Warforged Ashworm Dragoon

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mya]

So seven strangers from different worlds "randomly" brought together. Well were all here to save the world or something obviously. Happened to Dad all the time. People do not just fall out of the sky to rescue kittens. Mya lets out a long sigh. If I would have known I could have at least brought more clothes...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcus

Marcus slurps through his soup slowly and deliberately, but not so slow as to allow it to get cold. When the gems come into view he does not even look up from his meal and genuinely has no interest in the gem unless it reveals some other form of importance to him. When he finally finishes he looks to the priest, "<May I have my blade to keep by my side? I understand brandishing weapons in a church can be blasphemous in some religions and open combat even moreso, but I have not been without my blade and my armor for more than one hours time in several months. I even commissioned a magical gem to allow me to sleep in my armor, but at this time I do believe I would be too weak to even move in it, so I request only my blade.>"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy if needed: (1d20+16)[17] This modifier is without any possible modifications if our condition has actually reduced abilities scores.

Edit: .... figures.
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2008-04-22 at 05:22 PM.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

9. - Top - End - #39

The repair kit is fetched and Jermaine begins talking.

There is no path to the place you fell, so a cart would not make it. You could be pulled by a horse in a harness, that is how we got you here. But perhaps after you are better. A giant worm rider...I've heard stories that the orcs of Sardis ride upon great worms when I was still an acolyte, but I thought it was merely journeymen teasing me of my young age. And you certainly are not an orc, rather like a golem in kid's stories. Ah, I am sure all that has happened was ordained by Helios so I shan't worry.

We are quite far from any real civilization, deep in the forests of the Black Mountains. The town runs a small lumbermill and the women are quite skilled at wood carvings, merchants pass by every month or so while lumber is sent down a nearby river to the closest city to the north. Elves keep to themselves in the great forest far far to the east, they are indeed a rare sight in Mordrie. Only tales of their beauty, grace, and bond with nature remain. The gnomes also keep to their island to the north, past Ys, but they are far more common to see than elves. I can't say I have seen many gnomes, but the only resemblance Jaz has to them is his height.

Perhaps you are right Mya. I could only think that things like this happens in stories, but here you all are. Saving the world from what would be the question, only Helios would know.

*To Marcus* If you feel it necessary you can have it after you are able to move. I would prefer it that you keep the blade hidden, for the townspeople can get worried if you have a blade.
    Last edited by Xilehxt; 2008-04-22 at 06:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyrsus

Kyrsus pulls himself into a sitting position in order to eat his food, which he does slowly and deliberately. Once he has scraped out the last of his soup, he sets it down in his lap and looks about the room. His mouth is a set line as he looks at everyone and everything around him, twitching into a slight frown the first moment he sees the warforged. Finally, he comes to look directly at Jermaine.

"My name is Kyrsus. I thank you for your hospitality, may Helios give you prosperity and keep you safe. I would like more food." He speaks frankly, and when he is done he keeps a level gaze, waiting and letting the air carry his expectation. He did, however, profess the blessing genuinely.

A short while later, whether he has more food or not, he continues. "I am Kyrsus of the Blue Stone. My story is the same as the others..." He opens his mouth to form another word, but stops himself and waits a moment, staring at his hands, before going on. "I thank you for your hospitality."
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

11. - Top - End - #41

Faced with the dillemma of having no bowls of soup left, Jermaine excuses him self to get more food from the village. He comes back with more soup and asks if any of you have more questions.

(OOC: OK, everyone knows who everyone is IC. If you have more questions ask, if you want to try to do something or learn more while in bed recuperating, PM me.)

12. - Top - End - #42

Otheym

Due to the nature of his being, Otheym was up and about a little sooner than the rest of you. Attired in a turban and flowing robes that concealed his true nature, he left in the morning with Jermaine and a couple woodsmen, and returned a few hours later astride a giant worm, covered in purple and black scales. While there is no great maw filled with razor-sharp teeth, the large spiked protuberances around the head are intimidating and the tail of the worm ends in a particularly nasty looking barb. He takes the worm to a place away from other domesticated animals around the rear of the church/hospital, and after giving her a little treat taken out of his pack, allows her to burrow into the earth. The going is tough due to the rockiness of the soil but eventually (an hour or so later?) she makes enough progress to be completely underground.

Turning to Jermain, he says "Thank -- you, Jermain. I -- take rest. Tell others -- I see. You help?" in a very broken attempt at the local language.

Assuming Jermain is willing to assist in translation with another casting of Tongues, Otheym makes sure that all are awake and listening as he has something they will all want to hear. "I have been to the place where Jermain says we fell from the sky. There indeed looks to be many signs of great explosions and fires there, with trees felled, the ground singed, and a crater for each of us. Truly something remarkable happened not only to draw us here, but also to keep us alive throughout it all."

"I investigated the area as well as I could, but was eventually forced to return due to the lingering sickness that affects us all. The only thing I found was a truly ancient ruin. Four pillars on a stone foundation, completely covered in weeds and vines, and even after these are removed wind and rain have finished the job of removing any clue I could ascertain. Perhaps one of you could find more than I. The only item I noticed were that the foundations of these pillars were much larger than I would have expected for structures that size. Jermain apparently knows nothing of these ruins other than they exist. I found nothing else out there besides trees and rocks."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

13. - Top - End - #43

You all have spent the week, generally resting and learning the language, exploring just right outside the village. Most of you feel able now, and a few days has past after Otheym's discovery of the ruins and his announcement of it to you all. It is morning and you are out of bed, feeling refreshed for another lesson of Regalian from Jermaine (who has stopped using tongues for a while now to help you all learn faster) and the children (who are amazed at how fast all of you learn).

14. - Top - End - #44

Mya

Finishing her breakfast early, Mya starts doing light exercises and stretches.

15. - Top - End - #45

Otheym

Not having slept as usual, Otheym nods his head in welcoming. "Good chicken -- to you, Jermain. We am learn -- good -- asparagus?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

16. - Top - End - #46

You all look good today. What will you do today?

Jermaine says in a slow choppy way. The children have a different plan.

Lets go play in the wood if you're all better!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcus

From the moment he was able to stand without falling over from the weight alone Marcus hasn't been seen without his full plate for any reason beyond bathing. The surface of the steel itself seems to radiate a barely noticeable aura of power with flame motifs rising up his arms to burst out into avian heads with full beaks at his shoulders in the place of pauldrons. The eyes of the birds smolder with an inner light as he shifts within the armor, a single brilliant gem fading to a dull color just above his heart. He looked to the children and spoke slowly and deliberately as he tried to remember the right words, "Woods? What is there? I may not to <know> err.. to know your... <games> mmm... to play."

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

18. - Top - End - #48

Uh, hide and seek! *one covers his face with hands then reveals it* It's too cold to swim in the river... Flower picking? No, that's boring! Let's play war!

The children settle into a jabber about what to do in the woods. Jermaine says,

Now now, you can play by yourselves, right? They were sick just a few days ago. Have you finished your chores? You should all go help mom.

Groaning, the children leave for the village. (The church is about a hundred yards separated, on higher grounds than the rest of the village) Jermaine asks Tacitus for the hundredth time, Are you not uncomfortable, sleeping all that metal?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcus

His hand slowly raises and touches to the gem on his breastplate and with a slight glimmer it releases itself from the armor. He holds it out to show the priest, "Magic. Not tired. Not hurt." He shrugs and speaks in his native tongue, "<I'm sure I told him before...>" He returns the gem to his armor, which melds into it seamlessly.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #50

Jermaine is awed as ever by the magical items that you all hold. It seems that such devices are a rarity in Aerok.

Well, you learned Regalian fast and recovered. If there is anything you'd like to do, just tell me. I will be helping the women with a new vegetable garden.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josech

Josech, being quite possibly the polar opposite of Otheym, is just now waking up..he rubs his eyes slowly, groaning. "Mmn..morning, already?"

Immediately upon having his belongings returned earlier that week, he had re-dressed himself in his 'fantastic' tailor-made blue outfit and rather garish matching cloak.

"Ruins..investigate later?" He asks groggily, stumbling off. "Breakfast for now. I will be back. Then we can an hero."

22. - Top - End - #52

Mya

So talk ruins see..... more? Mya says making large expansive gestures, specifically walking fingers along her arm, and putting her hands over her eyes like glasses. Mya....wood. she says rolling her eyes and making a sleepy face.

23. - Top - End - #53

Otheym

"Yes, we -- look? -- ruins," mimicking Mya's gestures. "Eat first. Then go."

Otheym nods to each in turn, then goes to the back of the church to prepare Ma'Keer for the day's riding.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

24. - Top - End - #54

Breakfast was toasted wheat bread with cheese. The church is empty except for you seven. Ma'keer (the ashworm) can be heard returning from her morning hunt for rabbit and busily digging into her soft bed of earth.

25. - Top - End - #55

Mya

All of the sudden Mya head tilts to the side and she smiles. She promptly runs off and out of the church.

26. - Top - End - #56

Mya

She swiftly returns with a tablet and some chalk and starts drawing bad sketches on it. Then points at it.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Bad drawings I know. It was all in character

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Phiranthyl Olminnakra

The elf was as adamant about having his sword around as Marcus was with his armor. For days, he would try...something (those of you versed in it, would probably recognise it as spellcasting) every morning, only to be rewarded with what looked like a massive headache and mild nausea. When feeling up to it, he went through fighting forms with his blade that varied between graceful and beautiful, to oddly erratic and random. With Jermaine's help, he explained this strange style as "Flamedancing".

His command of the language is also coming along slower than most, but that appears to be more from lack of desire to learn than any actual difficulty. What he did choose to learn, he picked up rather quickly.

When discussions began around what to do, he merely added,

"Ruins. Yes. Good. Answers."

Based on the amount of time he spent inspecting the gem he had, he seems terribly interested in how you all got here and why.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josech

Josech looks at Miya's drawing, quirking a brow quizzically. "Plan?" He asks.

He takes a bite out of his breakfast, chewing quite noisily and rudely. He gulps it down, and looks over what remains with a slight frown as he waves a quick hand over it, muttering an incantation that seems akin to that old, gruff language from before.

That should fix this lackluster meal..if it still works.

He shrugs, taking another bite.

Spoiler
    Show
    Prestidigitation to make the breakfast taste like greasy tavern grub. And so Josech can see if he has his groove back, so to speak. Or if his groove even works in this world.

29. - Top - End - #59

The magic works, changing the meal into a greasy meaty flavor.

(Anyone that wants a spellcraft has to make the normal DC +20 for now to identify the spell, as magic systems are different as well between worlds)

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyrsus

A week in, Kyrsus is up and about. Much like Marcus and the elf, he immediately re-equips himself in all his gear. His armor seems to be made of shining silver, trimmed with gold and copper leaf in simple swirling and spiral designs. It is segmented full plate, yet he seems to wear it as lightly and naturally as simple clothing, or a second skin. Like Marcus, he takes even to sleeping in it. The clothing he wears underneath are of fairly simple cloth, but dyed deep blues and purples, with a khaki sash tying around his waist, and a long white cloth draped over him as a crossed scarf and cloak. He also carries a large oval shield with him, painted leather stretched over the wood sports a blue field with swirling and spiral patters, as those on his armor, in white in place of a charge. He goes everywhere with this shield slung over his shoulder, and with a curved blade hung at his hip in a simple leather scabbard. The rest of his equipment, a trio of javelins and a simple traveler's pack, he keeps by his bed, but does not insist on keeping with him.

He converses often with Jermaine, obviously doing his best to pick up as much of the language as possible, but remains otherwise quiet. At meals, he begins to try to sample as much of the local cuisine as possible, eating at a steady pace, but slowly enough to savor each foreign bite. Between meals, when he is not learning the language, he takes to wandering the church and exercise.

After his strength fully returns, he soon takes to regular exercise and practicing his swordplay with the shadows in the courtyard.

~

As the discussion of what this group of strangers should do next begins and advances, Kyrsus remains silent in a corner. Sitting and watching the conversation with interest, but opting not to interject his opinions or ideas just yet.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features