New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Kiriagakure: Bloodlines (IC)

Kiriagakure ~ The Early Morning of Five, Not Four

The early morning is a beautiful one, for the Hidden Village of Mist, at least. The light of the sun, and even the blue sky could be seen almost clearly through the perpetual mist surrounding the village and the nearby mountains, a rarity. Some in Kiriagakure regarded such a event as a good omen, others a dark one.

The four of you were told individuality after the examinations and tests for eligibility by the judges at the testing location yesterday that you qualified for the Genira team, and to all meet your instructor and teammates under the archway to the Mizukage's Residence at precisely eight o'clock.

The path to the Mizukage's personal residence from the south is quiet, dotted with stone statues of guardian demons and right before the bridge, a immense stone arch with a state of each previous Kage, eyes seeming to peer into onlookers and judge them silently. Grass grows on either side of the stone path, morning dew glistening on each blade.

Behind the arch and the kage statues, a wooden bridge rises to a platform in the center of the lake. On top of it rests the tall, decorated palace of varnished wooden and paper walls marked clearly with the symbol of the Mizukage, providing a familiar but forbidding backdrop.

It is usually devoid of people, except for the Mizukage's personal guards which guard the bridge, but this time, you notice a tall, pale woman with dark hair tied back in a ponytail wears the distinctive light blue vest of a Jounin, with a grey-blue cloak cushioning her as she leans against a statue of the first Kage of Kiriagakure. She stands, but her eyes are closed - they open to reveal perfect light blue pupils that stare at each of you as you approach, and she beckons you forwards with a silent smile. And around then, you notice that there are four other shinobi there including yourself, not three.

(OOC thread is here - for die rolls and the like, but lets try to keep it game focused. OOC in here will use parenthesis like this one. Everyone, feel free to introduce and describe yourselves, your reactions, and also post your character sheets in the OOC thread that way I can have the latest versions and links. Not everyone needs to arrive there at the same time, I just wanted to get the ball rolling and give you guys a feel for things. Lets get this party started!)
    Last edited by Dark_Prophet; 2008-04-26 at 06:47 PM.
    Wanting to add more depth and realism to that roleplaying game, character, or even just writing in general? Exchange of Realities continues to amaze me, from how to run politics of the dead to the aspects of betrayal, to the unforgettable Generic Villain's wry pieces on the life of a genre baddy.

Who says the internet never did anything really productive? Clicks have the power to save the rainforest!http://www.ecologyfund.com

AV timeskip Chiiro drawn by myself - template by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Kiriagakure: Bloodlines (IC)

Tetsuo

A lone figure ambled towards the bridge. Nice day. Too bad I didn't bring any paper. In truth, Tetsuo was fond of the mist, having grown up in a small village on the water, followed by here in Kirigakure, it was a slight reminder of home. However, a thinner mist helped the beauty of the village stand out more, framing objects in a slight shround until one approached, at which point the details jumped out at you, almost larger than life. Taking in the views as he walked along the path, he brushed his blonde hair out of his sky blue eyes and grinned as he rounded the corner.

Approaching the large arch of the Kage statues, even Tetsuo paused a moment before their stony gaze. Long dead, these statues still felt of...power, if there was a word to be put to it. The sheer visual impact of these sculptures drew the eye and held your attention for a moment.

The impact was so great, that for a moment, Tetsuo didn't even notice the silent jounin leaning against the First. As she stood and opened her eyes, Tetsuo knew her to be the new jounin. He smiled and waved as he approached. "Good morning! My name is Watanabe Tetsuo. Pleased to meet you!"

Looking around, he pauses. "Uh, there seems to be one person too many here. Hope it isn't me."

Avatar generously made by Zolkabro.

"When I give food to the poor, people call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." Dom Helder Camara

I need some more security than that provided by choosing between
    A job you hate, a job you hate and a job that doesn’t pay. - Bomb The Music Industry!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Miharu

As the sun rose that morning, so did Miharu, awakening to a distinctive screech and a ruffle of feathers swooping through her open window, which looked down into the village square. Aozomaru had been out hunting early, and he was proudly perched on the window's sill, a gory hunk of mouse pinned beneath his talons. The sleeping girl opened one yellow eye, but otherwise did not move from the nest of blankets she had woven around herself.

"Don't come barging in like that unless you've brought something for me too," she grumbled, finally shoving off the covers. Stretching, Miharu rubbed sleep from her eyes while the tawny hawk happily tore pieces from his kill, seeming quite pleased with himself. A soft breeze brushed at the girl's hair auburn hair as she propped her elbows on the windowsill, looking out over the Kirigakure no Sato, watching the sun climb up from beneath the horizon. It was early on mornings like these when Miharu would sit quietly at her window, savoring the unbroken silence that came with a new day, before the rest of the village rose from their beds and reminded her of who she was.

What she was.

As the sun marched higher in the sky and Aozomaru had taken wing to find himself another snack, Miharu rose from her perch at the window, dressing slowly, reluctantly. Over her undermesh shirt she donned the padded vest she wore for protection, buckling on her tool belt that had been draped over a chair, then fastening a shuriken holster over her knee-length pants. With a sigh, she donned the billowing, long sleeved blouse she favored, cinching it shut with a simple sash. Snatching her sandals from the floor, she crossed the room and sat on the edge of the window, slipping her feet into the padded leather, leaning against the frame, watching the clouds go by.

One day, she would join them. For now, though, she was leashed.

With a vaulting leap, Miharu sprang from the open window, landing in a crouch on the tiled roof one story below. Over the rooftops she traveled, towards the Mizukage's towering home. She was the raptor seeking her trainer, ready to be released to hunt and retrieve the next target. It was a feeling she detested, but her feelings were irrelevant, as always. Do as you are told, and all will remain well, she remembered, her mantra, ever-present. As long as she was obedient, pliable, submissive, the Kage would keep his word.

His looming castle-house grew as she drew closer, the gaps between rooftops widening as the houses dwindled. Nearing the bridge, Miharu's keen eyes spotted the woman standing there, and she all but stopped, descending to the ground below with a small hop. Slowly, deliberately, she followed the path, tentatively crossing the bridge and coming to halt, standing a ways off from the woman. She clasped her hands in front of her, keeping her eyes downcast in what appeared to be well-practiced diffidence, though the frown that marred her features seemed to detract from the effect.

"Hayama Miharu, reporting," she said stiffly, offering an equally mechanical bow.
    Last edited by Catch; 2008-04-27 at 12:27 AM.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Kiriagakure: Bloodlines (IC)

Nishi

"A school of killifish is in the little stream.
    Watch the stream quietly,
    Watch the stream quietly.
    All of the killifish are playing happily.

The killifish, the killifish of the killifish's school,
    Who is the teacher and who are the students?
    Who is the teacher and who are the students?
    They are dancing up and down.

A school of killifish looks merry and happy,
    Swimming along the stream tooy-tooy,
    Swimming along the stream tooy-tooy,
    Going together tooy-tooy.
    "

The song could be heard long before the singer could be seen, going in a loop of the same lyrics over and over of a children's song, before the tip of a wide open pink umbrella could be seen gliding up the street towards the Mizukage's palace as if the person carrying it was gliding across the ground. Of course the delicate creature carrying the umbrella wasn't truly gliding, no instead wooden sandals clacked lightly whenever they hit a solid enough material. Not that the...genin, it had to be a member of the team, looked much like an actual ninja with the flowery pink kimono, sing-song voice, and long silky black hair that had been tied back out of a cute face.

Eventually, as the umbrella carrier neared the other kids and the easily recognized woman, the song stopped and the umbrella was closed with a slight womphing noise from the displaced air. Cheerfully smiling to those already there having showed up about two minutes too late, nodding to each in turn before giving an apologetic bow. "I'm very sorry jounin-sensei but it is quite a walk to get here when one is easily distracted by the light in the mist and flowers along the way. I'll try to be more hasty in the future."
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

7:57:51
    “Oh please don’t let me be late"

Were there any casual observers around to watch the young girl race along the back roads of Kiriagakure, they would have certainly found her a rather odd sight. When she left the Ishashiken estate on the far corner of town her arms were fill with an entirely improbable bundle of equipment piled up so high that it threatened to block her vision. Yet this didn’t seem to slow her one bit, as she crossed rooftops, slid down drain pipes and continued her mad dash through the misty streets.

“7:58:27
    “Oh please don’t let me be late.”

As she ran, the gear in the girls hands made a slow but steady migration to their respective places on her person. Boots found their way onto feet, a blue vest ended up over a dark gray utilitarian shirt, both of which had more pockets in them then either garment was designed for. A gray belt found its way through gray belt loops, pausing only briefly to accept the burden of several pouches of various sizes.

7:58:46
    “Mother will kill me if I’m late.”

Kunai found their way to sheaths, which slipped into slots in boots and vests and pockets. Trip wire and tags found homes as well, each placed without a single glance form the young girl, as though she knew it all by heart. The two heaviest portions of her burden found their homes then too, the twin ninja-to blades migrating to their places on back and left hip.

7:59:15
    “I can’t be late on my first day.”

The young girls mousy brown hair trails behind her in cloud as she takes two great leaps across especially long gaps between several houses. By the end of the first leap, the left shoe has been thoroughly tied. During the second, the right shoe is also laced into submission. Her last leap brings her down onto the towns main drag and she begins the final sprint towards the Mizukage’s residence.

7:59:31
    "I'm sure no one else will be late."

Practiced hands move rapidly as she runs, combs and clips and hair ties working in a frenzy of cosmetic confusion. A long braid rapidly forms from the untidy mess and begins streaming behind her as she closes the distance to her goal.

7:59:56
    “I Can’t be late.”

The young woman’s arms are finally free of all burdens save one. A shinobi headband with the characteristic four waves of the Village Hidden in the Mist finds its way onto the young woman’s head.
    With it the image is completed, and gone is the frazzled girl who started from her house moments ago. Now there is a picture of your classic Genin, the kind that belongs on posters outside the academy. Skidding to a stop, she bows low and formally to her new sensei.

A casual observer might have found this transformation shocking. In a ninja village of course, there are no casual observers.

8:00:00
    “Ishashiken Yuriko Reporting for duty.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

The woman raises a eyebrow at Yuriko, who arrives first, then Miharu, nodding approvingly at them in turn, her forehead protector around her neck glistening with the morning mist. Several minutes go by, and her only other movement is to frown at Nishi and Tetsuo when they arrive, her perfect white skin around her forehead furrowing.

"You are late. Do not be late in the future, it reflects on not only yourselves, but your clans as well. For those of you who have them, that is." She intones, looking at both of them coldly in turn. "Take a example from Ishashiken and Hayama for next time. I am Aotake Genira, your instructor. To answer Watanabe's question, no, it is not a mistake that there are four of you here."

Genira takes a step forwards from the statue of the First, walking past all of you and then turning to face you, her grey-blue cloak twirling behind her. "At least, not a mistake of yours nor mine. The instructors deemed all of you worthy and with abilities compatible enough to create a four man team. This team will deal with special missions and situations that have been appearing recently."

Her face softens and she smiles, her cold features seeming to thaw. "We will be working together, and from what I've read all of you are very talented individuals, especially with our bloodlines, and I'm sure that we'll do a fine job. Success and coordination will require discipline, however, and I will need you to follow my orders. Are there any other questions before we begin our first mission? If not, feel free to introduce yourselves, your talents, and anything we should know about you in order to balance or refine our tactics."

(Could everyone throw their character sheets up on OOC when they're ready, or otherwise make sure I have them, and finish up any last minute rolls that need to be done or the like?)
    Last edited by Dark_Prophet; 2008-04-28 at 11:57 PM.
    Wanting to add more depth and realism to that roleplaying game, character, or even just writing in general? Exchange of Realities continues to amaze me, from how to run politics of the dead to the aspects of betrayal, to the unforgettable Generic Villain's wry pieces on the life of a genre baddy.

Who says the internet never did anything really productive? Clicks have the power to save the rainforest!http://www.ecologyfund.com

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

tongue Re: Kiriagakure: Bloodlines (IC)

After a moment or two of expectant silence, Genira's face shifts to one of irritation and impatience, her body remaining unmoving from her position. "We are in a hurry here. Perhaps I did not make that clear enough - I will expect more initiative from you in the future during these situations."

She points at Yuriko sternly, her finger moving to rake in the other three. "Ishashiken, Hayame, Watanabe, or even Kitoku, start reporting your areas strengths and weaknesses now."

(I wanted to clarify that this wasn't meant to be me rushing you guys for a response - ok, maybe not entirely but more me realizing the last one was too open and broad.)
    Last edited by Dark_Prophet; 2008-04-30 at 11:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tetsuo

Stepping forward quickly, Tetsuo raised his hand. As the wind ruffled his hair, he addressed his new leader. "Please excuse my tardiness, Aotaka-sensei. I got distracted on my walk. I will endeavour to make sure it does not happen again. I will introduce myself to the team."

Turning so he can see all of the remaining people, Tetsuo smiled. "Well now, my name, as you know, is Watanabe Tetsuo, but just call me Tetsuo. I don't mind," he chuckled. "My primary skills lie, I think, in tactics. I am attuned to suiton techniques. Fitting, isn't it? given where we're from and all, I mean. My primary technique ability is therefore ninjutsu, though at prompting and encouragement, I have some relatively good genjutsu abilities, I believe."

As he spoke, Tetsuo knelt down, opening his pack, the sunlight glinting off of the ninja-to he wore. "But, I think this best explains where my interests lie." So saying, Tetsuo pulled out handfuls of tags. Dozens of them. Standard exploding tags, greater exploding tags, trap notes, sunburst tags, sealing tags, they all were shown. "My strength," he repeated, "is tactics."

Looking up at those gathered around him, Tetsuo smiled again. "However, my weakness, is Taijutsu. Hell, even hand-to-hand combat in general is my downfall. But thanks to some help, I can hold my own in a given situation, though really, I'm more comfortable away from slashing weapons aimed at my face, thank you very much." As he replaced his tags, Tetsuo chuckled softly. "But that wasn't exactly what I was supposed to say. You want to know why I am on this team."

"Most people don't know about this." Placing his equipment beside him, there was produced a large scroll. Shading his eyes, Tetsuo peered at the sky for a moment. Turning his head to Miharu, he glanced at the sky again. "Hayama-san, does your friend up there like to play? I'm kinda hoping yes." Tetsuo unfurled the scroll, making ready to explain through actions, not words.

The scroll seemed to be nothing but drawings, approximately the size of a page each. Tetsuo skipped many, until arriving at the first drawing of a bird. Touching the drawing, He then concentrated for a few seconds, and smiled as the ink itself began to move.

The ink moved and took form as the drawing of the bird left the paper entirely, with the sharp, identifiable call of a hawk. As the unusual creature circled the group, it suddenly came to rest on Tetsuo's shoulder. "I have a hawk too. Actually, I have any number of things. They obey any mental commands I give, regardless of danger or relevance. When I first began doing this, I couldn't control its every move, but simply give a goal. 'Catch some fish', for example."

Tetsuo grinned. "But, now, I can control its every movement, for as long as I want. No more, no less." Concentrating for a moment, the hawk takes off from Tetsuo's shoulder as his body goes still. The hawk circles for a moment, then lands on the ground in front of all. Cautiously, it scrawls "Tetsuo" on the ground. The hawk takes off with a scream as Tetsuo opens his eyes again.

Tetsuo smiled. "Go play with the hawk. Don't fight." The ink and paper creation takes off, higher and higher, searching for the real hawk.

"My drawings are the exact same as their real, or legendary, basis. They retain all of their abilities, but will take extra damage from fire or water. They are paper, you know." Tetsuo rolled the scroll back up and returned it to his pack.

"So, that's me. Who's next?"
    Last edited by Bariko; 2008-05-01 at 11:52 AM.

"When I give food to the poor, people call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." Dom Helder Camara

A job you hate, a job you hate and a job that doesn’t pay. - Bomb The Music Industry!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Jounin smiles, watching the paper hawk fly up into the air. "That was a very good demonstration of your capabilities; the rest of you take note and try to show similar examples."

She raises a hand to her chin, and strokes it contemplatively. "So you're the Kamitora trap specialist - I've heard about you from a friend. As far as your shortcomings in close combat, if my report was correct, you three" Genira gestures with her head towards the three other team members, a smile still on her face, surprisingly enough "should be able to make up for that, right?" She winks.
    Last edited by Dark_Prophet; 2008-05-01 at 04:58 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Nishi

"Ahhh," The genin's face tilted up to watch the ink hawk spiral away up into the sky after the real one, a look of wonder present before snapping back down to earth and looking straight at Tetsuo. "Tetsuo-kun that was amazing! I can't wait to see what other wonderful things you can draw and make come to life!"

Finally, with a twirl of the umbrella, the genin's head swiveled back to face the jounin. "My name is Kitoku Nishi and I am a student of Yumi-sama. I cannot do the impressive things that Tetsuo-kun can do with ink and brush but if I can close with an enemy then I can be sure to apply what Yumi-sama has taught me, and with great enthusiasm too."

Nishi paused for moment and tapped a finger against the bottom of the umbrella before continuing. "I suppose I have some small skill at sneaking about and hiding but it is not very impressive plus I am sure anybody with sharp eyes could pick me out if I was unlucky or was too noisy."

Finally blue eyes turned to the jounin and Nishi dipped into another apologetic bow, clearly guilty about what was spoken next. "I am very sorry Genira-sensei but it is not wise for me to demonstrate my more unique abilities. I was warned that there would be consequences if I caused anymore accidents. I would like to ask that you allow me to demonstrate in actual combat in the future instead of here and now...I could demonstrate something though.." With another bow the bizarre kid turned and smoothly walked back the way Nishi had come up and approached one of the guardian demon statues. Twisting the handle of the umbrella, Nishi slid out a blade as long as the umbrella and reared his arm back. One edge of the blade was the normal steely gray of...well steel but the other side was a pure white that seemed to glitter in the light. A swift horizontal cut later and Nishi leaned up to press both hands against the demon's head and heaved, pushing it off of the body after it had been severed and walking back.

"I hope that was okay Genira-sensei."
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2008-05-01 at 12:24 PM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Genira nods, her eyes losing their previous humor. "So you're the one responsible for those incidents. Do see that you can keep yourself under control, and...try not to destroy the scenery." She glances at the daemon statue, raising her eyebrows as she turns back to him. "Unlike the Swordsmen of the Mist, we must exercise discretion. Headless statues tend to make people uneasy, with these troubled times and all. I understand your...enthusiasm, however." The jounin smiles wanly. "I will pay for the damages this time, but after this its on your budget, understand Nishi. Apt...performance."
    Last edited by Dark_Prophet; 2008-05-01 at 12:34 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Yuriko steps forward next, speaking in a calm, mater-of-fact tone. "My skills are neither as dramatic nor as mysterious as my companions I'm afraid. The Ishashiken clan has, for many generations, possessed the Satori bloodline. In its greatest form, the Satori can allow members of my clan to read minds and can also make them near unstoppable swordsmen. In its lesser form, it can manifest as simply a gift for understanding both people and bladed weapons to an unusual degree. As you might expect therefor, I am a taijutsu specialist and have spent most of my life with these weapons. I'm skilled in a number of different sword techniques, and if I may, I would like to demonstrate my favorite."

Reaching down, Yuriko find a fist-sized rock and casually tosses it into the air, away from the group. Drawing the sword on her left hip, she settles quickly into a broad stance, left foot forward, sword held lightly in the right hand with its tip resting gently on her left. In a single burst of speed, Yuriko charges forward, her braid trailing behind her. Sword thrusting forward, she smashes the rock to pieces before it can reach the ground and then comes to a skidding stop.

Walking slowly back to the group, Yuriko pulls a small cloth from nowhere and quickly cleans off the tip of her blade. "That is the simplest form of the Gatotsu, perhaps my best technique. In addition to my taijutsu skill, my family made me learn the basic ninja skills, such as hiding, moving silently, or noticing others doing the same, as well as a wide range of ninjutsu and chakra control techniques, including several Fuuton and some healing jutsu. Finally, perhaps because of the Satori, I've found its very difficult to lie to me, a skill that has benefited me several times in the past."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

The jounin claps dryly, a wry smile on her face. "Good, good. We can never have enough Satori users, and that style...we can make use of that. The Ishashiken Clan is renowned for their diversity and adaptability, and you appear to have inherited that as well." She looks to Miharu last, her face turning up into a knowing grin as she regards the stoic girl, then glancing up to observe the two hawks in the sky.
    Last edited by Dark_Prophet; 2008-05-01 at 06:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Miharu

Above the soft, light mist that blanketed the Kirigakure no Sato, a tawny hawk wheeled in a lazy circle around the clearing where the genin had assembled. The girl, whose hair seemed the exact shade of the bird's feathers, glanced up with bright, golden eyes, as a loud, clear screech echoed from above. Riding a warm updraft of wind, the hawk climbed steeply to a great height, then tucked its wings close, plummeting in a sharp dive towards the ink-and-paper intruder, tearing through the creation with vicious talons. Swooping low, the bird unfurled its wings and descended to the girl below, landing on the thick leather bracer that extended up to her elbow.

She shrugged slightly, which could have been interpreted as an apology. "Hawks are territorial. They don't play well with others," she explained stiffly. For a long, awkward stretch of silence, she stroked the bird's feathers gently, seeming unsure of how to respond to the Jounin's question.

Hesitantly, with strange, clipped speech, she explained. "I'm a hunter, like Aozomaru here. If you want something, we'll find it. If you want it dead, it will be. That's what I was trained to do." Her voice seemed hard, not that speaking of killing unnerved her, but speaking at all, apparently. She chewed her lip a moment, and stared at the ground, as if gathering herself.

Looking up, she fixed her deep amber eyes to Genira's blue, a strange fierceness suddenly in them. "I will do as ordered. As always."
    Last edited by Catch; 2008-05-02 at 11:22 AM.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Genira nods respectfully, her blue eyes matching Miharu's golden ones as the scraps of paper and ink fall nearby. "A demonstration unto itself, but regardless of how well hawks get along with others, we will all be working together as a team, so you will need to be able to surpress your dislikes and remain with us during many situations. But you've gotten good at that, haven't you?" She smiles dryly. "I myself use elemental ninjutsu, in particular, that of the Hyoton."

The jounin gestures with her hand, and a bubble of water floats up from the lake, quickly taking on a translucent quality. It floats over next to Genira, and then she gestures quickly again, and it seems to warp and condense, crackling and quickly forming into a humanoid shape, and then refining, in several seconds revealing a perfect replica of her, but made of ice. "This is the innate shaping ability of the Hyoton bloodline - actual ninjutsu requires more chakra. At any rate, I can't maintain it for long, or else it'll wear out my chakra reserves."

She snaps her fingers, and the statue starts to melt, then turns back to her four charges. "At any rate, now that we know all of our capabilities, I've determined our roles and positions during missions. Kitoku, you and Hayame will both take the front due to your taijutsu skills and mobility, while Watanabe and myself will hold the middle. Ishashiken will take up the rear - we will leave a gap for her to execute her Gotetsu charges in any direction."

Genira pauses, then removes a scroll from one of her pockets, unrolling it. "Our first mission is to track down and capture a samurai sprung from jail, presumably by his friends, in Kohei - a small, mountain village several days travel from here down the mountain. At least, for most people, since its a bit isolated, which is why we're the ones who'll be taking it - the other squads might have more trouble reaching it in time. We can reach it in half a day."

She stretches, looking around and measuring the others reactions and expressions, the ice sculpture of her beginning to noticeable melt and water to puddle around it. "Any questions?"
    Last edited by Dark_Prophet; 2008-05-02 at 03:36 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Nishi

"Ahh, I'm surrounded by extraordinary people aren't I?" Nishi remarked cheerfully, only offering a nod of the head to the jounin when she instructed him to contain certain impulses...and not to deface property. There was a brief...twinge at the comment about the Swordsmen of the Mist but not so much as a ripple passed over the cherubic face. Upon hearing what assignment the genin had received, Nishi's being to hold the front line with the hawk tamer the genin walked closer, still smiling politely.

"Hayame-san, it'll be an honor to protect the front of our squad with you. Is Aozomaru the name of your bird?" It was only at the last second that Nishi had refrained from calling the proud looking hawk a chicken but then lots of birds looked alike to an observer on the ground when they were flying so high up in the sky where they couldn't be seen. It was actually slightly irking that they could fly and Nishi couldn't. Considering the assumption Hayame would say that it was, the genin bowed the same polite bow that had been given to Genira. "Hello Aozomaru-san. I hope you'll keep an eye on me so I don't stumble into any trouble, okay?"

Something seemed to click though and the delicate looking kid spun about to face Genira-sensei with a bright look in the formerly placcid blue eyes. "Genira-sensei you didn't say we needed to capture him alive...does this mean we'll be allowed to kill him instead of trying to pull him back to the village?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Genira sighs. "Nitoku, the bounty is the capture of the escaped samurai alive..."

She raises a hand, smiling slightly at him. "However, it does not mention anything about his friends and accomplices, so if they don't surrender after we give them a chance...yes, you have permission to kill them. But only after we give them the option - I'm aware of your...history. Are there any other questions regarding the mission?"
    Last edited by Dark_Prophet; 2008-05-02 at 04:12 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tetsuo

Looking upward, Tetsuo observes his paper hawk torn to shreds by the real one. "Huh. I see. Ah well, what's a waste of a little chakra?" he smiled towards Hayama girl.

Turning to observe Genira as she demonstrated, eyes widening at the shaping ability manifested. "Impressive, Genira-sensei. It seems like the tales told of you aren't unfounded. I would be pleased to hold the centre of the squad."

As he checked his equipment one last time, while Genira explained the mission, the odd...boy?... asked about the mission. He takes a rather.. odd point of view...

"Before we worry about killing or not," Rio mentioned as he straightened his ninja-to in its scabbard, "How do you plan to get us to this place in a fraction of the normal time, Genira-sensei?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Genira smiles, her eyes glimmering. "Why, we can use my Hyoton to cross the chasm between here and Kohei that everyone else would have to go around. I won't have much chakra left to help with the samurai, but some genius bloodline users like yourselves should be able to take care of some unruly swordsmen without any difficulties."

There's a yawn, and she seems to muse out loud, her gaze flicking over each ninja. "...unless, of course, you're afraid of heights...in which case we could go around, but then we might lose them, or the Taka clan might be called out to deal with them before they escape." She is clearly enjoying herself, turning to look at Miharu for the last. "And we wouldn't want that, would we?"

(OOC - The Taka are a small but versatile Moujuu Aishou clan in Kiriagakure who partner with crows. Known for teamwork, crafty tactics, and using traps.)
    Last edited by Dark_Prophet; 2008-05-03 at 12:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

"I'm sure none of us will have a problem with the mode of transport. We won't disappoint you sensei."

Yuriko takes her place near the back of the lineup, checking her bootstraps, make sure her weapons are all in the right places and ready to draw.

"I should warn you all that I will often attempt to attack from a distance more then once in a given combat, as its my most effective tactic, so if you find the time to leave me openings for such attacks I will be most appreciative. Also, Tetsuo, I know a few ninjtusu for trap making, including a personal favorite that creates a land mine made from chakra. I also have some ability to either hold enemies in place, or with my charges, to move them into new positions. If such can help you in your tactical plans, just let me know."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tetsuo

Smiling, Tetsuo looks at Yuriko. "Fortuitous! I was going to take time to try and learn that land mine technique myself, but found it simply unable to fit into my schedule at the time. It will certainly be useful in tactical planning, thank you!" he sincerely says, nodding towards her. His sincerity and happiness are not in doubt, with a sincere smile on his face, it's almost as if he's mentally trying to work it into his preexisting strategies. "And if you have the ability to immobilise, or position targets, that's another excellent advantage."

Looking up at Genira, Tetsuo's smile remains, but it seems to take on a hint of anxiety. "Um... Sensei... Far be it from me to argue with you, and I will of course respect your decision, but... your method of travel, it's... well... exceedingly dangerous." Approaching the melting ice statue of the jounin, Tetsuo ran a finger along the side of it, the little sunlight through the mist reflecting off of it in subtle, eye pleasing ways. "Ice is hardly a stable surface to walk upon, especially if we're going to be over a chasm of such proportions. If the goal is to capture the culprit, what matter if we make it there in a day, or in three? It seems like something of an unnecessary risk, is all." Tetsuo knew very little abut his jounin. She seemed friendly enough, but perhaps she didn't take kindly to challenges to her authority. Nonetheless, he kept his friendly outlook and waited patiently for a response.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

She looks at Tetsuo for a moment, then laughs. "Yes, we'll need to be careful, and I'm only going to do it if everyone is confident in their abilities. I should be able to catch you, and Hayama has some skill in the air, but it will be up to you. The problem is that if we go the long way, they might escape or someone else might catch them, and this is our first mission. Its up to you four to decide." Genira pats him on the head, looking around with a genuine smile, waiting for their answers.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tetsuo

Tetsuo nodded as his jounin spoke. "I understand. I see no problems arising if we just tread carefully. And as it's a matter of speed, we-... wait." A grin just spread across his face. "Wait! Sensei, I have an idea. You stated that the purpose of this was to speed our arrival, but it leaves you with little chakra, and it's not the safest travel. I can give us both a safer trip, and a faster one."

Quickly, Tetsuo opened his pack, speaking as he did so. he pulled out a piece of paper and a pencil. "we," he said as he made an O, "are here. We need to get here." Tetsuo drew an X to represent their destination. It almost seemed that Tetsuo was reveling in this situation, putting his mind to a task. Making light, outlining lines to represent the ice path they would walk, he continued. "Most people have to go around the chasm, as you said Sensei. We would go across it, by foot, slowly, but it would be a vast speed increase over the journey around. And it would take much of your reserves of chakra to get us across, even if we all make it across without incident. So here's my solution."

Tetsuo drew thicker, darker lines over the bridge drawing. "We fly." He looked at his sensei then, eyes glinting with energy and excitement. "I can draw us aerial beasts to transport us across the chasm. It would be faster than walking, so we might even get a total drop on the target. You, Genira-sensei, would keep your chakra, and it's safer than walking on ice, I think. Of course, it would cost me some chakra. That would be in addition to the little I wasted on my flying friend before," he glanced at Miharu. "But it accomplishes our goals faster, and safer. And I will not be helpless. What do you think, Genira-sensei?" Tetsuo was practically beaming as he looked towards his instructor.
    Last edited by Bariko; 2008-05-04 at 09:19 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

The jounin looks at Tetsuo, then opens her mouth. Her stays open for several moments as he outlines his plan, and then she closes it. "That...is a brilliant plan, Tetsuo. I wasn't aware that you had the skill with your bloodline and the chakra reserves to maintain that...but it sounds like you can. You're right, that would be most efficient - is everyone all right with Tetsuo's plan?" Genira quickly recovers her poise, nodding questioningly around to everyone, still obviously surprised and impressed.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Yuriko stands quietly for a moment, seeming to mentally mull over Tetsuo plan. "I can't seem to think of a reason not to. It will allow the stronger ninja to retain more chakra, which can be then put to better use. Lets go."

26. - Top - End - #26

Miharu

The tawny-haired girl appeared unabashed at Genira's implication that she was not what some jounin would call a "team player." Indeed she was not, nor had she been trained to be, and the notion of looking after someone besides herself seemed troublesome. Miharu had worked with other ninja before, but her experience was limited to being directed and commanded, not cooperating. She was given a target or a destination, then supervised to ensure she completed the task quickly and efficiently, and punishments were given out accordingly. All this made her decidedly uncomfortable, and the feeling was picked by Aozomaru, who shifted uncomfortably, perched on her arm.

Her feelings on this assignment were, of course, irrelevant, and the stricter portion of her training showed as she stood quietly to one side, listening to Genira's explanation of the mission with marked diffidence, though her focus was no less than complete as she worked out the best approach. Find the target and retrieve it, alive if possible. Mountain travel would make tracking by foot difficult, but with aerial scouting, and a band of escaped samurai would be easy to spot for a hawk's eyes. Given the lead, she could spot the target at a distance, then cripple him quickly, which would likely scatter the others, making the retrieval relatively simple. Samurai often put up more of a struggle which would require--

Miharu's careful thoughts were interrupted by the strange boy-girl and she blinked her large amber eyes in surprised. He--at least she thought so--would not have received more than a passing glance from the girl, not even for his odd choice of attire or peculiar attitude. She had be taught not to notice these sorts of things, as she had no business talking to anyone. Still, the "boy" showed a remarkable strength, which was a trait she understood, but a certain lack of control and discipline. A liability. Frowning, she rebuffed "his" politeness with gruff ambivalence. "Just don't get in the way." Miharu bit her lip after the words slipped out, and she immediately realized her mistake, a handful unpleasant memories flickering through her mind. She had been disciplined before for her attitude, and harshly--she was to be courteous when spoken to, a lesson that had been laid into her firmly. "Um, please. Sorry." she added hastily, muttering to the ground.

Properly mortified and self-conscious, Miharu listened intently to the rest of her jounin's explanation, eyes downcast so as not to offend anyone further. Hearing Genira cite the Taka, she swallowed nervously, tucking her head down to seem smaller. A visit from her trainers would not go well, not for her, and she would be made to regret it if they had to become involved. The boy with the paper birds caught her attention, though, and she watched him with interested eyes as he explained his play. Flying--that she wanted more than anything else. Her fears and impatience dissolved, forgotten as she imagined herself above the chasm, rising on a thermal just as Aozomaru could. She hesitated to speak, knowing that words did not often suit her, so when asked for the team's approval she simply nodded, albeit quite emphatically, perhaps even eagerly, and the very thought of it exited her in a way she normally did not allow.

To soar.
    Last edited by Catch; 2008-05-06 at 11:52 AM.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Jounin nods, smiling thinly at the others responses. "Very well, then. We seem to have a consensus. Whenever you are ready, Tetsuo. I'm not sure how much all of you have been outside of the village, but the gap is about two hours journey on land away. The gap itself is only perhaps a hundred yards across, Kohei perhaps two or three hours beyond that, and flying is faster then walking. Can you maintain your creations for that long?" She looks at him carefully, her robes and cloak blowing slightly as a gust of cool wind blows in from the east.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tetsuo

The sullen, silent hawk girl actually exhibited a flicker of excitement, whether she believed it or not. Hey, she does like something. Huh. As Tetsuo hauled out another scroll, and prepared to draw, he paused, listening to Genira.

He considered closely. "Well... that depends where you want to leave from. If I draw here, I would have to draw two, and they should get us to the village. My creations can currently last about five hours. If we would walk to the gap, I could draw a single creature just to fly us over. If I draw two birds here, it will obviously take more chakra, but we will ultimately be faster, and we won't need to stop. Really, I'll leave it up to the team, but my original plan was to draw two of them now, to get underway. He looked at the team closely, as his hair ruffled in a small breeze. "If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please say so. If not, let me know. It will take me about ten minutes to draw the two creatures."
    Last edited by Bariko; 2008-05-06 at 10:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think you can start drawing, Tetsuo - I wouldn't mind giving my feet a rest." The jounin chuckles, then nods, as if remembering something. "I almost forgot - we'll be investigating their escape in Kohei as well, in order to find out what happened, that way we can avoid it happening again - villages shouldn't need us to come out and take care of these things." She glares darkly out to the east. "That one has a history, too..."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Yuriko seems to study Genria as she talks, listening politely. Then, once the jounin finishes, the young girl almost sheepishly replies "Its not my place to question sensei, but if you have information about that place sharing it might help in the investigation, and help us know what to expect. Trouble that occurred once could occur again. Though if you do not want to talk that is fine; memories are powerful and we don't want you thrown off so soon before a battle." Then, almost realizing after she spoke what she had said..."And I'm sorry for presuming, perhaps I should not have spoken at all."