New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Escaping Purgatory IC

RECAP:
    Spoiler
    Show

You awoke disoriented in the dark...somewhere. You didn't know where you were, but it certainly wasn't home. You don't know how you got here, you don't even know where here is. You explored your surroundings and found others...some similar to you, others radically different, but all in the same situation, confused, disoriented, taken from their homes.

Somehow you all understood each other, and you were just starting to piece together your individual stories when the Orc slavers attacked. Unprepared many died, and many more were dragged off screaming in chains. You were one of the lucky, or perhaps resourceful ones who managed to get away.

You almost starved, scrounging through the strange caverns, before you were found by a patrol from Limbo, the Free City. They took you in and gave you a home. But you were expected to work...everyone must contribute in Limbo.
    So you learned the ways of this strange new world, new skills, new powers, a new life. You learned the rules of this world, the leader of Limbo known as The Shepherd refers to as Purgatory. And you learned of The Presence. NO one knows who or what the Presence is...but something is watching everything that goes on in Purgatory. There are many theories on what the Presence is, and what it wants, but no one knows for sure.

Many people have settled in Limbo, married, even had children. The city competes with the Slavers and the Cannibalistic Maw Tribe for resources and the steady stream of new arrivals to Purgatory. They also fend of attacks from the Deathlords and their undead hordes.

It is a hard life, but some are content.

But you are not. In the year since you came to this place, your eyes have always been on the horizon. You want...no need...to get out of this place. Perhaps it is curiosity that drives you, wondering what the Presence is, maybe it is the memories of what you left behind, or perhaps a darker motivation...but you can't stay in Limbo any longer.

No one who has ever left Limbo has ever been seen or heard from again. But you don't care, you are willing to risk everything. There must be a way out of Purgatory, and you are going to find it, no matter what.

It's been over a year that you have been here in Purgatory, and almost as long that you have made Limbo your home. Nestled in a cavern well protected by a steep ascent along narrow tunnels well guarded from raiders by well armed and trained guards, the streets of Limbo is the closest thing to safe you have found in this strange new world.

The buildings around you, some built from stone, others little more than tents cured from Rothe hides show the markings of dozens of different cultures and races represented here. You walk through the streets with unusual energy and excitement, knowing it will probably be your last time doing so. You have made up your mind: you are leaving here, attempting to make your way back home, even if the attempt could very likely mean your death.

You walk through the cluttered chaos that is the streets of Limbo with purpose, heading towards the building at the heart of Limbo, both geograpically and emotionally: The Shepherds Tower. The name is somewhat of a joke, although it is the tallest building in Limbo, it is only 3 stories high, carved out of a huge stone column that runs from the floor to the ceiling. Some say it was once a stalagmite, but no one remembers for sure. The Shepherd has been here longer than any other living in Limbo. Some say he was the first being brought to Purgatory, but he has never commented on these speculations.

What is sure though is that the Shepherd is old, and powerful. His word is law in Limbo, though he is loath to act so autocratically. Perhaps that is why other love him so much. His hesitance to act directly is certainly not from lack of power. He is known to hold great magically power, and once beat back an invasion of the Deathlord's undead horde almost singlehandedly, though it nearly killed him to do so.

You make your way to the Tower, and then skirt the base of it to the Bowl. Here a deep depression in the rock of the cavern forms a natural amphitheater. This is where public meetings are held in Limbo. Today there are few people gathered. There are no debates, or citizenship ceremonies scheduled. Instead you find a small gathering of people, five other citizens, and the Shepherd.

The Shepherd does not look old. He appears to be a human in his late 30's, though when asked he simply replies that he is unusually "well preserved" He has neatly groomed wavy brown hair, and a well trimmed beard. He wears simple black pants and shirt, with a clerical collar at his neck.

As you enter, you are almost knocked over by an spectacle wearing gnome of middle years dressed in what some of you have come to recognize as victorian garb, complete with suit tails and a top hat. He has several books tucked speeds down to the Shepherd without even acknowledging you.

Excellent Bob, glad you could make it The Shepherd welcomes the gnome.

We will need an official recorder for this. Please make sure it is all written down and added to the archives if you would.

The gnome beams up at Shepherd, grinning foolishly. Ofcourse your holiness. And may I say that I am so honoured to serve!

Theh Shepherd sighs.I have told you before not to call me that. If you insist on a honorific Shepherd will do, or Father if you must. But i am just a being like you, no more holy than any here. And I am pleased that you can serve in this way. We all serve ofcourse, but good scribes can be so hard to come by here with ink in such short supply and so few who were literate here are used to writing with a feather pen.

Then, noticably switching to his "formal voice" the Shepherd turns to you. Well then, this is for the record now. Each of you has talked to me before, but please, at this time of parting we ask that you state clearly for the record your name, where/when you were from before coming to Purgatory, and why you wish to leave now.
    Will be away for the month of July, working at Camp

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Rhabin in "The first of Lharvion"
    Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"
    "When the Voice Whispers"

Escaping Purgatory

Avatar done by the Illustrious Dr. Bath
    Shrike, Thaddius, if we get through this, remind me to kill every frightened old man we come across just to be safe.~Morituri

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Escaping Purgatory IC

A tall, slim human steps forward. His blue eyes glance at one and then another of the assembly. He wears two six-shooters slung low on his thighs, a dark brown hat, a jacket, and a serape.

Hear me, I beg.

Jonah Morrok of Gilead, Mid-World that was; that's how I whish to be known. Jonah's good enough, sure.

I pursued a killer in the badlands north of the ruins of Gilead and stepped through a thinny, I reckon. I wound up here.

You know me, and you've fought alongside me. I'll carry my weight out there.

Jonah nods toward the exit.

I need to get back to the bones of my home so's I can kill him that killed mine.

That's all.

Jonah steps back to his place in the assembly.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

The small man steps forward and nods to those around him. Many of you have seen him before in the streets full of fever, zeal and passion collecting from the "faithful" wretches of purgatory. Without the persona of the preacher worn today, the man is unassuming, timid, and forgettable.

"Lenod, sir. I was born within the State of Missouri, US of A. We called our world Earth...seems kind of too general a name now," the man looks to the scribe to ensure the important parts were jotted, "And....and I suppose this place is just starting to get to me."

"It's not that I'm ungrateful for your help and donations to the "lord" it's just that I need more people, a big city, you know.No need to get home mind you...probly better if it's not...just, somewhere."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

A small figure steps forward. It is the strange insect-person many of you have seen tending to the ill and wounded around the Free City. It steps forward and brings its hands up before it, right hand clasped over his left fist.

"Sir," it says, bowing deeply. Its voice is quiet, but clear, and surprisingly soft, with only a slight nasal edge. "I am Initiate Shugenja of the Order of the Gentle Rain Sukarab Kato. Many years now it has been since I have seen or heard the fellow members of my Life Bond. I miss my family, sir, and I wish to return to my time, that I might regain the honor of my training, for I am but an Initiate, and there is only so much I can do here."
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-04-30 at 01:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

A figure near the back speaks without stepping forward. "Unit 314. Threefo is nicer. They used "Mentat" for what I could do, before I got away from them. Where/when don't know. I think I was a someone before that. I want to find out what. I can't here. But you were all very nice to me. Thank...you.."
    The inflectionless monotone trails off, the speaker clearly having exhausted his social capacity for the moment. He is of medium height and stature, and wears the rough garb common in Purgatory. He has deep gray eyes and brown hair, and is clean-shaven, and might be ruggedly good-looking if he were at all normal. The only thing that stands out, aside from the curious metal belt he wears, is his complete evenness. His features are perfectly symmetrical, his gait when he walks perfectly even, each step identical (though somehow not robotic). Throughout the exchange, he has made only fleeting eye contact with the Shepherd (and none with anyone else), an effect made eerie when he responds so tonelessly while looking completely distracted.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

((IFyou haven't posted your character intro yet, please do so, but we are going to move on))

Shepherd nods as each of you shares in turn.

Each of you has brought something to Limbo, and so in leaving we will be diminished. Kato your healing, and ability to sense water and minerals at a distance has been invaluable here and will be sorely missed.

Lenod your own healing gifts will be missed to, even if your other activites are somewhat....unorthodox.

At this he arcs an eyebrow, but says no more about the preachers crusades.

If I had my way, I would keep all of you. The Slavers and the Maw seem to get stronger all the time, and we need the help we can get. But we are all free here, and the charter of Limbo states that if you wish to leave, we must release you. We send you with our blessing, and one weeks rations and water each. To help you on your journey you will also need this:

He pulls out a small blue crystal, that seems to glow softly.

This is a keystone. To leave this level of Purgatory you will need 3 of them. They seem to grow naturally in the caves here. The blue ones grow in a cavern below Limbo. The red ones grow in a cave in Maw territory, and the cavern where the green ones grow is in Slaver territory. If you wish to leave Purgatory, you will have to collect a crystal from those two places. Perhaps you can sneak in, or perhaps you can trade for them. It is up to you. Neither group is known for their friendliness, so recovering them will be perilous. But once you have all three, the real danger begins. The only known way out of these caverns we live in, is through a portal. The portal is currently controlled by the Deathlords. You will have to fight your way through the undead caverns to the portal and use the three crystals to activate it to leave the caverns.

What lies beyond the portal no one knows. None who have gone through it return. Some say it will take you home, but I do not believe it. I think Purgatory is far bigger than many suspect, and that your journey, should you survive will be long.

I also believe it will not be opposed. I sense The Presence watching us, even now. It will not allow escape lightly. Perhaps in your quest you will discover what the Presence is. I know some scoff when I speak of it, and others worship the Presence as a God. But I feel it is real and watching. And I do not believe it wants for any of us to leave this place. Be on guard.

He looks over you, and smiles sadly.

That is all that I can give you, except for my blessing. But before I pronounce it, do you have any further questions?

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

Shrike, Thaddius, if we get through this, remind me to kill every frightened old man we come across just to be safe.~Morituri

7. - Top - End - #7

Lenod shifts uncomfortably at the mention of the Presence. He is still uneasy with a tangible God, or any sort of superior being, actually watching his actions.

"Ahh, no sir," trying not to look the man in the eye. Up until that comment he had thought his "activities" were well vealed. Definitely a good time for departing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The gunslinger inclines his head slightly.

We know the risks. Ka goes ever as ka must.

I do have one question though, Shepherd. You say we need three crystals. Is that three each, or three for the whole tet?

9. - Top - End - #9

The ghola hears the Shepherd's words clearly, but having no question to ask, says nothing. This chamber has a pleasing symmetry of mass distribution - uncannily accurate. Having placed himself in the center of mass of the room feels safe, somehow. Looking down, up, and anywhere but straight ahead, he nudges a pebble a foot or two to the side with his shoe in a movement that probably looks as queer and random as the rest of his demeanor to anyone watching. That's better - more balanced now, he sighs to himself, watching for the rest of his group to go so he can follow.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

OOC: Sorry 'bout the delay. I was busy with school and...

Crow

A tall, tan, slightly lanky young man shifts his weight uncomfortably back and forth. Talking to the undisputed ruler of Purgatory was not exactly a situation he was comfortable in. It wasn't that the fellow was frightening. Quite the contrary, he seemed a nice guy and under different circumstances, he would be happy to meet him. However, Crow was never good with formal occasions, people of authority, or having to explain himself. He was more comfortable in front of a raving audience than a man of great respect.

"Um, hi, my name is Crow... Crow Proofek. I was a musician... a bard. I sang and played and... well, brought music to people. I have some... unresolved business back home. I didn't always live a good life and I must make up for some things I've done..."

Crow listens quietly as the Shepperd explains the situation and what he must do. While the musician tries to keep his composure, a small chuckle bubbles from underneath. The collection of three different objects to open a portal sounded like the plot of a very cliched fantasy movie.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kato stares at the softly glowing blue crystal intensely, its faceted eyes shining. The dromite takes a small step towards the

"May... may I inspect the keystone... closer?" Its antennae twitch slightly in anticipation.
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-05-10 at 08:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

The Shepherd holds out the crystal for inspection. It is about the size of his thumb, in width and length. It has six long facets, and glows softly from inside. Those sensing for it find a weak magical aura to it.

The shepherd shakes his head
    I must warn you, I do not believe the placement of the crystals is random, or the fact that you need all three. It seems to be that the Presence has gone out of its way to keep the balance of power here. When one faction or another gets too strong, new arrivals seem to be weighted towards beings more inclined to a different one. Once, long ago Limbo was in another chamber, and it was overrun by the Deathlords. But when we escaped and began rebuilding here we found the crystals growing in a nearby chamber soon after. So it may be that by collecting the crystals you are doing the Presence's will in some strange way, though fathoming the will of the Presence is beyond my understanding. But I do not like it.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jonah

Let's not delay this, then.

If ya will, speak yer blessing, Shepherd.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kato puts its face mere inches from the crystal, studying it intently. Its faceted eyes glitter and glisten, bathed in the soft blue glow of the crystal. Its subtly moving antennae stand on end and wave excitedly.

"I... I see. The crystal structure it is composed of is perfectly formed. It is a perfect crystal! Fantastic... fantastic..."
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-05-13 at 07:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

((Anyone know where Snark is?))

The Shepherd shakes his head sadly.

Very well, if you be so eager to leave us. You have my blessing. You will be remembered in the book of records. Go in peace.

He raises a hand in a gesture, and then turns to leave.

The gnome scribe scribbles down the last few notes, and then looks up and peers at you all, almost as if noticing you for the first time.

Are you really going to depart? I can't imagine such a thing. I felt so lucky to be a citizen here. Where do you think you will go first? I don't know which is worse, the Slavers, or the Maw Tribe. It's a devil's choice, one will work you to death if the capture you, the other will kill you fast and eat you.

The gnome shudders at the very thought.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jonah

The gunslinger glances around the room at his companions, and then back at the Shepherd.

I suggest the Slavers. Mayhap we could get something in the Slaver's land that would help us get past those cannibal savage Maw.
    Last edited by gunslinger888; 2008-05-13 at 11:26 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

The gnome adjusts his spectacles and flips through a folio of papers he has with him besides the book we was writing in.

Ah here we go. This is a map of Purgatory, as best we can make out so far. They had me scribing these for the war leaders a few months ago.

MAP HERE

It should give you a feel for where you need to go. I believe it has the crystal deposits marked on it. But if you are serious about venturing into foreign territory you should be prepared. If you are planning on heading into Slaver Territory I would suggest conversing with Edmund Beauregard, who leads the Freedom Raiders at Fort Michael. He would know all the ways in there by stealth or force...and if it is the Maw that you would brave then I suggest that you speak with Gate Warden Grunir at Fort Gabriel. He has been fighting the Maw longer than any I know. As for the Deadlands, which I venture you must brave bye and bye, only two men have walked those lands an returned. One is the Shepherd, and the other is the Hermit, though most say he is mad.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

18. - Top - End - #18

"Fort Michael it is then. Ugg," the man says while glancing over the map, "this place is a lot bigger than I thought. Best get going then, or does anyone need to still grab supplies or say goodbyes?"
    Last edited by Benejeseret; 2008-05-14 at 01:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I say the sooner the better. I'm ready.

Jonah looks around at the assembled group, then back at the scribe.

Anything else?
    Last edited by gunslinger888; 2008-05-14 at 10:37 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

((The Shepherd, like Elvis, has left the building))

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

21. - Top - End - #21

Threefo

The blank young man stares as the information filters through his brain. Objectives line up against resources in unconsciously determined patterns, and the usual clear, bright line denoting an obvious solution emerges.
    "Most efficient split information gather return" he says, to no one in particular. "Ready faster."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jonah

I say Lenod, Threefo and I head out to Fort Michael to ken what we can from Beauregard about the slavers. What we'd know, we'd use.

The gunslinger walks out of the room without looking back.

23. - Top - End - #23

The preacher follows, he might be a nut with a gun, Lenod thinks to himself, but at least he has a gun.

They walk through the city toward the Fort and Lenod never misses an opportunity for business. He looks to see if there are citizen along the street and hopes to make a bit of a scene and flourish.

(( if there are people along the way Lenod is going to try and give a memorable last performance and collect a few silver along the way))

He walk dramatically a bit behind the gunslinger and Threefo with his collection plate on his hip and his voice clear to the crowds and passers by, "Yes dear Limbo, here we are....the final march. We brave few seek to blaze the way out of this life and seek freedom. May our efforts deliver more into this salvation!

((he is going to try and gather a crowd to his walking oratory performance and offer the collection plate as per a perform check (1d20+7)[16] and if you will allow if mechanically to effect then he would even cast fleeting fame on himself for a further +2 (not a RAW usage). ))

24. - Top - End - #24

((I will hold off rolling cash until I see if the others want to help boost the performance and enhance it. Crow especially could likely help turn it into a Great Performance and make the audience more interested in helping us out.))

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jonah pauses once he realizes that the preacher has decided to work the crowd. Jonah's arms are crossed, and he watches with some interest. He does not participate, but neither does he interfere.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

As you begin to do your thing a crowd begins to gather pretty quick. Limbo can be a dull, hard place, and so anyone drawing attention publicly can gather a crowd quickly. The crowd that gathers is diverse, humanoids of every size, species, race and apparent age you can imagine, and a few that are not even humanoid. For the most part it is the obvious humans that pay you the most attention, for they tend to have the context to understand your call. There is a handful of your flock, each still wearing remnants of their orignal clothes: several women in simple modest dresses, and men ranging from peasant clothes to somewhat worn and faded suits. There is a neo punk girl with purple hair and a nose ring wearing a cross around her neck, and even a young black woman in a nuns habit. The look to you with eyes of yearning, and an old woman wearing a black dress with corset and bustle and dark shawl.

Your going to find a way out of this hell preacher? Can such a thing truly exist?

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

27. - Top - End - #27
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Crow Proofek

Crow was... impressed. The preacher certainly knew how to stimulate a crowd. Crow should know. He had seen himself do the same many times...

Inspiration, that's what these people needed. Such a grim place, Limbo, full of people separated from the worlds they once knew. Crow, through his music, had worked to lift the spirits of the people of Limbo, earning money but more importantly redemption.

One last performance for these people would do his heart good.

Should he simply interrupt the preacher, however? No, no. It would be better to accompany his words. Music had the power to supplement words, not only in song but in speech as well.

Something... stirring... something... heroic... yet spiritual... this is a preacher after all.

Crow gets out his guitar and begins strumming it. The music that comes from the guitar does not sound like any mundane one. It sounded harsher, stronger, more powerful. The tune, heroic and daring, was the perfect accompaniment to an inspiring speech. There was magic in the air.

OOC: Activating Crow's bardic music to Inspire Competence in Lenod. +2 bonus to his Perform (Oratory) check.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jonah

Cocking an eyebrow, Jonah watches closely at the edge of the assembly. As the musician begins to strum, he finds a high point from which to observe the proceedings more easily.

He mumbles something uninteligible to himself.

29. - Top - End - #29

Threefo

314 stares with a bit of confusion at the preacher, nearly falling over as people begin to bustle by him. He withdraws from the (to him) overwhelming hubbub, but pauses as the music strikes his ear. Unconsciously, he straightens, and for a moment looks nearly normal, the sort of fellow a girl might glance over more than once. The moment passes, and as he looks around, he catches sight of Jonah, watching and thankfully detached. After walking up next to him, there is a brief pause, which Threefo does not break. After a moment, he looks down and begins playing with his fingers.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jonah

Jonah sees Threefo approach, and he attempts to nod at the boy in order to give some acknowledgment as to the strangeness of the situation. Threefo doesn't respond, but instead plays with his fingers.

Hopping down from his perch, Jonah speaks in a comforting low voice, "Now don't you fret, son. Little to fear and much to learn in a mangle of humanity like that one there. Good way for you to get a sense a what the Hell a human is, true."

If this were a boy from Gilead, he'd have put his hand on the boy's shoulder. But Threefo is anything but, so he didn't.