New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Assault on the Palaces of the Ape-Sultans (Basic D&D / Labyrinth Lord)

Spoiler
    Show
    The skeleton didn't say whose corpses.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Assault on the Palaces of the Ape-Sultans (Basic D&D / Labyrinth Lord)

"As I say, we were the victims of a seemingly unprovoked attack and were called upon to defend ourselves. Indeed, several of our companions have been slain needlessly. Though I do not know what corpses you refer to, I can only assume that they are those of our enemies. The bodies of our comrades we have with us here."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

3. - Top - End - #543
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Falstag watches the extraordinary exchange incredulously as he grips his sword in a white knuckle grip.
    Last edited by TheFighter; 2008-09-24 at 12:03 PM.
    "Hail to the king, baby!"

4. - Top - End - #544

SwashbucklerGuy

"Hm. So you say you were attacked by jackals?"

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, and flying sharks, as well. It has been a strange day."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

6. - Top - End - #546

SwashbucklerGuy

"Why would air sharks attack you? What were you doing?"

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Selin whispers in Tan's direction.
    "Maybe better hide your holy symbol, if you are trying to negotiate... Otherwise they might... you know, think you're going to turn them or so."
    Then turning in the skeleton's direction he continues louder.
    "We were just passing through your nice little town. And as we got tired,we decided to rest here a little... And then all in a sudden these creatures were there and we had to fight for our lifes!"

Spoiler
    Show

So... shall I make my Bluff check or something right now or...? ^^' (recap: I 'accidentally' attacked the air shark before we could negotiate, since I was kinda freaked out)
    Last edited by Kato; 2008-09-25 at 10:18 AM.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

"Indeed, first we were set upon by Jackals, and when we sought shelter we were attacked by flying sharks. It makes no sense to us, but then we are not acquainted with your customs or familiar with your ways."

Spoiler
    Show

Oh right. Hopefully we can just roleplay this out without having to resort to the fickleness of the dice.

I think Tan's holy symbol should be okay in plain view, so long as he doesn't thrust it out in front of him and begin invoking holy words to drive back the undead
    Last edited by Matthew; 2008-09-25 at 11:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #549

SwashbucklerGuy

"Aha! So the air sharks surprised you breaking into one of our houses! That seems more likely."

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

"You... er... Okay, let me think of it for a moment...
    We came here... then there were those jackals, which we fought, because... We thought they were going to attack us.
    Afterwards we entered this house, since it was not locked or anything and so we assumed noone would mind if we did. While we were searching the room and just found one of you sleeping... or whatever it did.
    Than these air sharks appeared outside, and to be honest I attacked it, because they freaked me out. So... yeah, if there is someone to blame, it's me, not the other.

Selin tries to look as sympathic and sorry as possible, es he retells the parties latest actions.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

11. - Top - End - #551

SwashbucklerGuy

erm...sorry folks, TPK. They lynch you. Roll up some new characters, and you can let me know whether you want to go through this one again or a new one.

I'll re-post the house rules for character creation if anyone needs me to. Also remember I have a homebrewed swashbuckler-type class (currently untested).
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2008-09-26 at 02:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

God damn it! I hope Tan died a worthy death...

13. - Top - End - #553
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    There's no smiley for the face I'm making at this news. Instead I direct you to this; http://indianburialground.deviantart...Faces-98171964 . See the face I make, top right corner. That's it. Slightly entertained at the bad news, while still realising it's bad.
    Well, if it's ok with you GM, I'd like to retropost, just as my beloved character's last hurrah.

Rorik, realising that the walking dead aren't cutting them slack at the story of their pathetic final hours, lets loose his last words in life; "No, they surprised us as I were deficatin' in yer mother's skull!!!"

I'd rather believe our deaths were on the comical fault of my ornery Dwarf, than our terrible choices.
    Last edited by TheCleric; 2008-09-26 at 10:34 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Folks, I've got enough new characters to start soon, so if you want to make a new character please do it ASAP. Post in this thread.

15. - Top - End - #555

DwarfClericGuy

Nah, I'll bow out now if you've got new interest, we all need to make way for the new generation as they say. Hope they do better than we.

16. - Top - End - #556

SwashbucklerGuy

The queen's strange behaviour has been the talk of the court for several weeks.

For no obvious reason, she took an interest in a group of louts who were arrested for being drunk and disorderly.

Disregarding precedent and common sense, she summoned them to the court. She told them that, as they'd been heard boasting that they could scale the very walls of Karth, she was sentencing them to do exactly that. They would travel to the city of the Ape-Sultans, enter it, and bring back the idol said to be held there.

On top of this she sent an entirely innocent priest to guard them - a job of which he was seemingly both undeserving and incapable.

She seemed then to return to sanity as abruptly as she had left it, and ruled as capably as before, although gossip and speculation naturally continued. There were various whispers that some members of the court had been sent on missions that were arranged a secrecy and haste inappropriate to their publicly declared nature. But there were always whispers and scandal, and life, and the queen's rule, went on.

Now she has summoned you, a diverse group of minor court functionaries, nobility, and hangers-on, at a strange hour and without the customary notice.

Your hearts sink as one as she says, quite calmly,

"There is said to be an idol in the city of Karth...".

She goes on to charge you with the same absurd mission that has been the subject of rumour. You look at each other, naturally not speaking, but all thinking the same thoughts.
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2008-10-02 at 12:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Oliver tries to subtly survey the group around him, seeing if he recognizes any of them and sum them up by their clothing and mannerisms.

He then returns his attention to what is being said.

18. - Top - End - #558

SwashbucklerGuy

[by the way, if you post something out-of-character, please put it in square brackets like this.]

19. - Top - End - #559
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Marcado takes a small "slide" back, pulls his collar up and slightly lowers his chin into his scarf, his usual skeptical mannerisms, but focuses intently on the other members of the room, especially the speaker.

20. - Top - End - #560

[Chrono]

Legs crossed at the ankles, and arms over his chest, the warrior (in-training) kept his ears open for anything that might be of warrant to the upcoming mission. Not much really to be said at the moment, just lots to be heard until they were dismissed for their quest.

Spoiler
    Show
    I prefer this, if you do not mind.
    Also, do you want description of characters?
    Characters:

I live on the time zone which is -5 hours to GMT, but I'm a night owl. Beware!

21. - Top - End - #561
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Martyn stands off to one side, more than a little overwhelmed at this turn of events. He knows, of course, the Queens fickle behavior, but is still at a loss as to how he got himself into this mess. As he listens to the Queen, he looks around at the others in this new group, trying to figure out what he may have in common with any of them, hoping it may give a clue as to why he is here now.

22. - Top - End - #562

Thomas looked all around. He still wasn't used to the big city, being from a small villiage in the country. His grandfather, the blacksmith, had asked him to deliver some goods, and somehow, after a quick dive into a tavern, had ended up here. In front of the queen herself, in fact. What a story to tell the folks back home, eh? She sure is saying a lot, he thought, so he payed attention as best he could to what was being said and who all these other people were.

23. - Top - End - #563

Altair

As he learns of his mission, he wonders if the Queens lucidity had all been a fake. He sighs. There was no chance that she would snap out of her madness between now and when they leave. He shoots the queen an uneasy grin. "We will do our best." It's not until he is out of sight that he lets his shoulders slump.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Edgar uses the finger on his right hand to brush a drip from his nose back and forth through his bristling red moustache. It gleams brightly.
    He squints at the Queen and looks around for anyone else who might be keeping an eye on her.
    "Excuse me your majesty..." Edgar bows low and then brings himself up again "Why is this idol...A..AA...TCHOO!...OH!" Edgar hastily brushes his nose again with a hand. "Beg your pardon your Highness." Edgar bows low again. "If may be so bold, Could you tell us something more about the idol. Is it perhaps a heathen artifact?"
    Last edited by Mudguard; 2008-10-03 at 12:22 AM.

25. - Top - End - #565

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZaneLaCoix View Post
    Also, do you want description of characters?
    [If you want to, please do.]

26. - Top - End - #566

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    Edgar uses the finger on his right hand to brush a drip from his nose back and forth through his bristling red moustache. It gleams brightly.
    He squints at the Queen and looks around for anyone else who might be keeping an eye on her.
    "Excuse me your majesty..." Edgar bows low and then brings himself up again "Why is this idol...A..AA...TCHOO!...OH!" Edgar hastily brushes his nose again with a hand. "Beg your pardon your Highness." Edgar bows low again. "If may be so bold, Could you tell us something more about the idol. Is it perhaps a heathen artifact?"
    The queen tells you that the idol is said to be of the Ape-Sultan's god, bigger than a person, and cut from a single diamond.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Oliver

"Pardon me your majesty..." is heard from somewhere within the group, seemingly behind and under the flowing cloaks and taller figures. A smallish figure, with curly brown hair and dressed in brown and green clothing, takes a step forward and then bows.

"Oliver Blackfoot..." he states as he bows.
    "If I may ask, could you tell us more about, or where to start looking for more information on, how to gain entry to the wall of Karth? I know little of such things, but rumor has it nobody has ever gone in or come out."
    Last edited by Sygel; 2008-10-03 at 10:53 AM.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

Burrik

"Well now... I wouldn't mind gettin' meself a look at a diamond tha' big."
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

29. - Top - End - #569

Thomas

I don't think I've even seen a diamond. I hear they're like ice that doesn't melt...

30. - Top - End - #570

[Merellis]

He stares at the queen with dark eyes, wondering just what in the nine hells was going on. "I had heard rumours that others had been summoned for this," he mutters as his bony fingers gently caress his spell book, the other hand gently moving the messy locks of copper out of his face.