New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Event Horizon I (IC)

Henry Klate

The Paladin looks down the hole at his companions below. Looked safe.

Here I come, he announces then carefully lowers himself down as well, making sure he is in a good position to be helped by Lars or one of the others should he slip.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm taking 10. If it's not possible to take 10 because the DC is too high, I'm relying on people assisting me rather than taking the worse than 50% chance of falling into the water
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC: Need rolls or other "hard" stuff for Lars.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was afraid of that...

Spoiler
    Show

climb - (1d20-4)[9]
    balance - (1d20-6)[-5]
    reflex - (1d20+1)[9]
    Sweet Cap. America Avi by KPenguin

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Hank and Lars IC Results

Hank is lowered down to the piping by the others, and Lars follows. Lars's balance and reflex saves are insufficient to keep him on there, however, and he falls over off the side of the pipes with the screech of armor on metal. He falls about twelve feet to a much larger pipe below, landing on his face for 2 damage.

Niathus and Jon

Niathus looks at his map, and then looks over the edge of the piping. "Well, that is where we needed to go next..."
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-05-15 at 10:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Reardan

Reardan winces at the noise and the painful appearance of Lars' fall. His face contorts into a look of disgust when he hears Niathus' quip. He rummages in his backpack for a moment and pulls out a length of knotted rope.

As fun as that was, and I'm sure we all want to fall into the lake, let's try to do this more carefully this time. One of the more adroit of us can go last and untie the rope before jumping down.

Having said this, Reardan looks around for a large, strong pipe in easy reach suitable for fastening the rope. When he finds one, he fastens the rope and begins to climb down slowly and carefully.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reardan will take 10 on his Use Rope check (giving him a DC 13 check) to tie a secure knot when he finds a pipe that looks strong enough to take their weight. He'll then take 10 on his climb check to make his way down to the lower pipe

Balance Check (if necessary) - 22

I apologize for unexpectedly using InvisibleCastle. I'm adding these rolls in an edit, and I don't think I can use the board roller.
    Last edited by Mephibosheth; 2008-05-16 at 09:39 AM.
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Henry Klate

Lars, are you all right down there? Henry calls down. That was a nasty fall... Then, to Reardan, Aha, good idea. I was about to suggest the same thing myself. Well, obviously slow and steady is the word here-what. He uses what almost as a punctuation mark at the end of the statement, a habit he picked up from some soldiers back home.

Once the rope is secure, he carefully climbs down and looks at the bruise growing on Lars' face. Ye gods, man, that's quite a shiner. You'll have had worse though, I dare say.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 and removing armor first if necessary.
    Spoiler
    Show

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Spoiled Flush Games

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Niathus and Jon

"If we could find the scaffolding..." Jon muses, but Niathus waves that notion away.

"The Scaffolding would have long since deteriorated by now - construction-aid spells don't last that long." Niathus remarks. "We're better off doing it this way."

"You're sure you don't want to scan for magic, just to be safe?" Jon asks.

"If it will make you feel better..." Niathus grumbles. He turns to the party. "If anyone wants to scan for magic, be our guest. My professional opinion is that there will be enough here to blind us, but then, maybe we'll get something useful from it."

DM

There's no need to remove armor while the rope is there, and no need for balance checks on the new pipe - it's extremely large and much more dry. A casting of Detect Magic or Arcane Sight would be what Niathus is after.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lars

Lars lifts himself, than quickly checks his face to make sure nothing is broken. Finding that nothing is, he then turns to Hank, and says "Ah, yes. That could have been far worse. Thank Pelor I fell no further."

He then rubs his head, and calls up to Niathus "Where shall we go from here?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Niathus

Niathus begins chanting.

"Indrya se bala, sulagana meri patha.
    Dekhana mujhako jadu, khola ke jaisa avasara!"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Niathus is casting Detect Magic. Assuming I didn't butcher it, it translates roughly as "Sense of power, light my way, show me magic, clear as day."

He looks about for a moment, concentrating, and then says, "Well... that's interesting..."
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-05-20 at 05:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Reardan

Grateful that this lower pipe is more stable and less slippery, Reardan, draws a long thin piece of wood from his pack and taps it sharply against the side of his head. His vision heightened enough to sense the presence of magical energy, he looks around at the surrounding pipes.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, I forgot about Detect Magic. Reardan is going to use a charge from his wand thereof. Anything interesting?

Also, not too shabby on the Hindi. It's not quite right, but the things that are incorrect you couldn't possibly be expected to know. Plus, they're not really speaking Hindi, they're speaking "super special awesome ancient magical language!" Sorry if the language is going to give you troubles. I didn't know you'd be using it too.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Reardan - IC Results

Spoiler
    Show
    An elaborate series of ladders and catwalks floats in many of the open spaces between pipes, just hanging in midair. To be at all effective, they would have to be constructed entirely of "force" magic. The magic itself, while eventually taking a clearly defined shape as you concentrate, appears to be somewhat faint. The only explanation that comes to your mind is that the magic is somehow dormant, and must be activated before it can be used.

All of these details register later, however, as a very large, blindingly obvious magical conduit is the first thing to draw your attention. A 50 foot radius beam of channeled power runs the length of the open portion of the waterworks, disappearing into the elaborate network of pipes in one direction, and into a previously hidden extradimensional portal in the other. Something is drawing huge quantities of power from a font of magic like nothing you have ever seen before. While this could be considered further proof of the existance of the Keynote, the magic conduit is never mentioned in any legend, record, or schematic, and this makes you uneasy. Whatever it is, it is a recent addition much newer than the waterworks, and may explain the continued existance of the force walkways.

12. - Top - End - #42

Reardan

Reardan's eyes noticeably widen as he looks around. He moves his head rapidly from side to side as if following some sort of invisible tennis match or watching an invisible horse race. Several times, he opens his mouth to speak, but closes it again before saying anything, any sarcastic comments dying before leaving his lips.

Finally, he's able to speak.

Um, Niathus...Do you see what I see? Any ideas what that is?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Probably should have put these in my last post, but:

Spellcraft: (1d20+12)[23]
    Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+12)[14]
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Henry Klate

The paladin casts his gaze around the sewers, concerned. He is wary of dark influences.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect evil is on
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

DM OOC

My apologies for not posting today - more to come tomorrow!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

DM

Again, apologies for the delay.

Niathus and Jon

Niathus is looking around as well. He says "I see it too. I'm not worried if you're not, but..."

Hank - IC Results

Spoiler
    Show
    Gold light creeps in at the edges of your vision again. Whisps of evil drift about on the moist air currents like dark feathers in a heavy breeze, drifting lazily about. There is nothing overpowering about it - it's very diffuse, like a faint but unpleasant odor. Nothing you can see within the range of your detect evil actually produces evil, though, - no single plant, creature, or object projects evil, and you suspect that nothing (barring the party) within range may be intelligent enough to be evil - with the exception of Sin Havers. It's something you've seen once before, in a backwater area you travelled to early in your career as a paladin. There the locals told you that "there's a evil somethun' sneakin' 'round these parts" and you can think of no better description for your current situation - a powerful and distinct evil has been travelling all around this place, leaving it's impression in the form of the faint aura that clings to the piping in places, and in others hangs in the air. Whatever it is, it's not here now, or at least is not within the range of your detection powers.

16. - Top - End - #46

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sorry for cluttering the thread, but I'm not sure if anyone is checking the OOC thread. Two things...

First, any result on those Spellcraft/Knowledge checks? I know they're not that great (curse you, forum roller!), but who knows, I might get lucky.

Second, I'm not going to be able to post pretty much at all until the first week in June (probably June 2nd at the earliest). I'm getting married this weekend and will be gone on my honeymoon until then. Jade, you're welcome to NPC Reardan until I return.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

DM OOC

Spoiler
    Show
    Contrary to my previous performance, I check the OOC threads about once a day now to be sure that I am the most recent poster. If I'm not, I read the most recent posts and respond.

The spellcraft check was good, but all the information it grants you was given in my earlier description. The knowledge arcana check wasn't good enough to help you.

And finally, Congratulations! Have fun on your honeymoon. I'll take good care of Reardan until June.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-05-23 at 01:00 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Sin

Interrupting Niathus, Sin speaks up again, "Well, if its not some big, bad, boogie monster I say we get moving along. We aren't getting any closer to our destination standing here talking." Being that last one to depart the smaller pipe Sin undoes the rope and jumps down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Balance - (1d20+2)[5]
    Reflex - (1d20+6)[21]

I'll just assume same DC's and go from there.

Having landed on his feet just a little strangely Sin teeters a bit before managing to gain his equilibrium and stand up without any problems. Handing the rope back to Reardan Sin speaks up again.

"Well, lead on fearless leaders."
    Last edited by Trulhammaren; 2008-05-23 at 12:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lars

Giving the bump on his head one more rub, Lars says to Sin "I think you're right. Its about time to move on.".

Calling back to Niathus, Lars again inquires: "Niathus, I must ask you again... Where shall we head from here?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Reardan, Niathus, and Jon

Niathus continues scanning, his eyes aglow. "The scaffolding required is in place even now -"

Jon interrupts, "Hah, I knew it!"

"- having recently been rebuilt." Niathus finishes. "Also, it is currently inactive, but is constructed entirely of force magic. If we could find a way to make it active again, Reardan and I could guide you straight to the Keynote with far fewer interruptions."

Reardan nods. "It would be dangerous, but not more so than the trek across the piping. It would also be faster. First we have to find whatever turns it on, though."

Jon turns to Hank. "Were you detecting a second ago? What did you see?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

DM

It has been well over 48 hours. I will now respond for Hank.

Hank

"There is an evil presence, or perhaps multiple such presences, that lurk here, although nothing within the range of my detection seems to be the source. We had best be careful."

Reardan

"There's more." Reardan looks out toward an empty spot in space, a good distance away. "Over there is a conduit of energy - magical energy. It seems that all of the force scaffolding is there for the purposes of maintaining it, although I don't know what purpose the conduit itself serves."

Niathus

Niathus looks the same direction. "This is a small detour from the direction of the keynote, but the link to the scaffolding is probably near the exit portal."

DM

Those in the party cannot see anything that the two mages have been talking about. They sound pretty sure of thier observations, however.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-05-26 at 02:51 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Giving this a bump...?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Henry Klate

If it is as you say, I suggest we look for it. You have the map, so we'll follow your lead. Though I do wonder if the lingering evil presence bares any connection to the force effects you say have recently been conjured here. Ah well, I suspect we'll discover in due time.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Niathus and Jon

Niathus nods. "Alright. We'll need to continue on this pipeline," he says, indicating the pipe the group is standing on, "deeper into the works, then around and over towards the terminus of the conduit." He traces the route out with his arm, pointing to a rather complex path, ending at the cavern wall.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

DM

Spoiler
    Show
    It occurred to me a bit ago that my last post didn't really leave any way for your characters to do anything. With that in mind, I'm willing to speed things up a bit. Also, remember that I really do check the OOC thread regularly, so any questions (such as: "When are you gonna get off your butt and post?") or comments ("You did it again.") can be placed there for anyone to see.

The group, using the ropes and other climbing equipment that you have brought along, moves down to another excessively large pipe, one running at an angle to the previous one. This area is very well lit, and small birds scatter before you as you follow the path Niathus has decided on. At one point Jon looks out to the left and peers off a ways. "We're not going to have to walk through that are we?"

Following the direction of his gaze, you see through the maze of pipes a giant spiderweb - made of giant strands, and woven thickly across a large number of pipes. Trapped in it are spidersilk-coccooned bodies of what you assume are animals ranging from rabbit to deer sized and beyond. Niathus takes a look and says, "Not if we can turn on the scaffolding - otherwise we'll likely have to burn our way through."

The group continues along, and makes a turn onto another pipeline, heading back towards the wall, seemingly backwards relative to your goal. Several twists, turns, and pipe changes later, along with an upwards corkscrew through the pipes, Niathus looks directly up, and says "Aw, hell..."

Reardan looks up and likewise groans. "This will be tricky."
    Niathus points up, and following his arm allows you to see a switch clearly sticking out from the wall. Unfortunately, it is not only not near any of the pipes, but the mages assure you that it is above the conduit as well, and too close to the conduit to be handled safely.

The group is now standing on an amazing seven-way intersection of pipes. The pipes themselves are squarish in nature and no balance checks are required for any action short of full out running or acrobatics. A broken glow-stone, identical to the ones you have seen so far other than the fact that it doesn't work, hangs from the ceiling but occasionally sparks and twitches, always twitching towards the wall. The mages can tell that it twitches and sparks whenever it hits the conduit, as if striking rough stone at an angle at high speed.

No animals venture near this place.

Search check.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-06-02 at 09:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Henry Klate

The paladin looks around, searching for some information that could help the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search - (d20+3)[23]
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

27. - Top - End - #57

Reardan

Reardan sighs as he stares up at the surging conduit of magic that almost entirely obscures the switch from his view. After a moment's consideration, he lowers his gaze and closes his eyes, concentrating intensely.

Main yeh nahii chhu karta hun, lekin yeh mera samaadesh pe chalta hai
    alakh lekin taakatvar hai, mera dimaag ka haath

As he intones these words, Reardan reaches out toward the switch with his hand, pantomiming grabbing and flipping the switch.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm back! Sorry it took me so long to return. The last few days have been pretty busy.

Reardan's casting Mage Hand to see if he can move the switch remotely. He can reach the switch as long as it's within 35 feet (not sure about the exact distance between Reardan and the switch). If he can't Mage Hand lasts as long as Reardan maintains concentration, which he will do even if he fails to flip the switch initially.

The couplet above translates roughly as, "I touch you not, yet you move at my command/invisible yet powerful is my mind's hand."

Also, just in case:

Search: (1d20+4)[23]
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

The switch makes a grinding noise and pulls partway away from the wall, but then stops and grinds back into position. A chain is visible, connected to the top of the lever, and you suspect it is this that is preventing the switch from being pulled.

The searching of Hank quickly reveals a small, pull-away handle in the stone of the wall. No one has pulled it yet, though.

Reardan's search reveals glimmering scribbles on the wall many yards below the party's current position - lighting up under the effects of your continued detection spell. While you can't read it at this angle, you (the party) suspect that it may all be connected.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Henry Klate

I may have found part of the mechanism, gents. Do you think I should pull it? He waits for more experienced eyes before making the judgement himself. Hank wasn't used to messing with magic or machines, and was wary of what could go wrong in such an environment. If they all fell to their dooms, who would know? Would anyone come to their aid? Would their bodies ever be recovered?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

30. - Top - End - #60

Reardan

Reardan shrugs.

I wasn't able to move the high switch from down here, even with magic. You probably saw the chain attached to the handle. And how does that strange writing on the wall tie into everything? Can anyone else see or read it? I don't really have all that much experience with stuff like this.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew