New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tomb of Horrors Group A (IC)

Erika

Erika hops back a few inches when the trap opens. She says, "I guess it wasn't all rusted up after all." Seeing the extend of the trap and lethality of the spikes, she becomes curious. Standing across from the pits, she looks up and down the paintings on the walls to try and get a general feel for whether the paintings near the pits might be more 'green' then the paintings away from the pits.

{{ Where were Aduro and Rurik? Side by side(E-W) or (N-S)? }}

{{ How far down the hallway can we see? Can we see the magically glowing arrow? }}
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

No picture in particular, plenty of time, torlo will study each intently until he's satisfied that he does/doesnt know anything about them.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Aduro

"Don't step there."
    Aduro giggles a little.
    "I still think there's gotta be a hidden switch for that one, though."
    He peers into the recently opened pit to see if there is anything interesting in there.

OOC:
    I would presume that Rurik and Aduro are standing next to each other on the east(?) side of the 2nd trap door. I'm assuming the top of the map is the entrance, and is north.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

The pit has spikes in it. The spikes are very thick, about a inch in diameter at their midpoints. They also appear to be very shiny, as if somebody had polished them recently.

None of the wall artwork appears to be any more green than any of the others. You do notice that there are two paintings that are significantly less random than the others: A painting of a wizard's workroom and a painting of a torture chamber.

You can see as far as your torch and your vision allows. Which isn't very far. At least not far enough for the scenery to change. You still just see a tunnel with a winding path.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-05-17 at 12:31 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Erika

Erika attempts to closely examine the paintings of the wizard's workshop and torture chamber, those being most closely associated with her god. She holds her torch up close to the paintings to get a good look at the details and content. She pays attention to the edges of the painting to see if she can tell if this painting was, perhaps, added after all of the others.

After a close examination, she'll try to get close enough to sniff the painting to see it has a scent and will then try to touch it with her silver dagger and then, assuming nothing bad happens, with her hand so she can feel the texture.

She'll start with the workshop and then move to the torture chamber.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

The wizards workshop painting (Located next to the unactivated trap door):
    Two jackal-headed human figures in this painting are portrayed as if holding bronze chest—which is real, and protrudes slightly into the corridor! The chest is hinged on the bottom so as to allow the lid to swing down.

Torture chamber (Located next to the open pit trap):
    This portion of the fresco contains an illustration of an iron door that evidently confines some sort of a horrid creature (its clawed and scaled hands grasp the bars of its small window) that can be loosed to torment prisoners.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-05-17 at 05:17 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Erika

"Well, I never." Erika holds off on touching anything and calls over the weird gnome and his funny glasses to check this tiny chest for traps, "Aduro? What do you make of this? The tiny chest in this painting seems to stick out from the painting. Maybe it is related to this trap door?"

After pointing it out to the gnome, she steps back away from it and moves 15 closer to the tomb entrance.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Aduro

Aduro pulls his head out of the pit he is all but falling into.
    "Wait, what? You found something? Excellent!"
    He runs over to painting, gasping and falling to his feet as he exceeds the slack of the rope tying him to Rurik.
    "C'mon Rurik! Uh, you'd better stand on that side of the door."
    He points to the side of the trap door towards the entrance.
    When Rurik is in position, Aduro begins examining the chest and painting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Aduro's excited and getting (over-)confident, so he's not being as careful. Taking 10 to search, total 27.
    Quick question: is the entrance/top of map North? Knowing the direction would make descriptions easier.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

OOC: It is indeed north and it is indeed the entrance at the top. Also, the hallway is longer than my map indicates. It's just that your characters can't see far enough for it to make a difference.
    You should just remake your character sheet on Myth Weavers. Do it soon, I don't like having to guess what your modifiers are.

There is a stud on top of the box. It looks like the box opens if you push the stud.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-05-17 at 08:16 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Aduro

"A-ha! Rurik, hold that rope tight, Aduro thinks this button opens the box, but it could be a trick and open the door."
    His hand hovers over the chest, one finger pointing down at the triggering stud.
    "Ready... Set... Go!"
    With a quick and decisive motion, he jabs the button.

OOC:
    Recreated the sheet on Myth-Weavers as requested. Link in my sig goes to the new sheet. As before, potentially frequently changing temporary modifiers from Psionic Focus and Soulmelds are not included in the numbers, but can be found in the 'notes' section.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Once the stud is depressed, a thin needle pops out of the middle and pokes your finger. As you pull your hand away, you feel a slight, painful sensation. It passes.

Looking back at the box, you see that the bottom of it has swung open.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Aduro

"Ow!"
    Aduro waves his hand back and forth.
    "A trap on a trap? How is that fair? Oh yeah, evil lich, fair doesn't matter. Then again, that was either the lamest trap ever, or...urk!"
    His voice cuts off, then falls to the floor spasming. Then he stops moving altogether.

Then his eyes pop open and he starts giggling.
    "Just kidding! I'm fine. You should have seen your faces, though."
    He stands up.
    "I've been waiting days to pull that one. Don't worry, though, I won't do it again. It's only funny once. Back to work, then."

He peers inside the chest.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Once you stick your head under and look inside the chest, you see nothing. The chest appears to be empty.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Erika

While Aduro lay on the floor twitching, Erika scowls and shrugs. When he gets up and proclaims it a joke, she says with all seriousness, "Oh yes, quite funny."

After finding out about the chest contents she rubs her hand across her bald head and says, "Perhaps if we put treasure into the chest, it will do something more exciting." She offer Aduro a gold coin to place into the chest, adding, "Here, try this."

While he does his thing, she gathers the belongings(ladder, 10' poles, backpack, etc) she had dropped at the entrance and piles them just inside the dungeon.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground

Rurik

"Two pits along the way will be found to lead
    to a fortuitous fall, so check the wall."

Rurik repeats a few lines of the hidden message, then holds the rope tighter, lest he gnome take a less then fortuitous fall.

I hope this works
    Awesome Avatar by bayar

Quoted for the truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    But isn't it a racial power of college students to obtain various materials for free over the internets from "legitimate sources"?
    Harsk
    Captain Avery Tortuga

16. - Top - End - #76

BardGuy

OOC- sorry about the lack of posts, internet went down for a few days.

Cory

He listens to everything going on, trying to take it all in and figure out the riddle to the phrase Erika said. Coming up with nothing, he watches them fiddle with paintings and traps until Aduro collapses. Seeing as the gnome jumped back up in a moment, Cory breathed a sgh of relief and let go of his holy symbol. That guy's gonna get us all killed.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Aduro

Aduro takes the coin from the cleric.

"Put a coin into a bottom-less chest? Sure, 'k, that makes sense..."

Aduro positions the coin on his thumb and flips it up into the chest. Assuming it falls back out again as expected, he catches it and tucks it into his pocket.

Assuming nothing unexpected happens. Aduro reaches into the chest and feels around for anything concealed or invisible.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

As expected, the coin follows the laws of gravity and falls out. When reaching inside, you feel a lever affixed to the top of the chest. It appears you can pull the lever down.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Aduro

"A ha! A lever. If this doesn't open this floor-door, I'll be quite surprised. Everybody stand clear."
    He reaches up to pull the lever, but then stops.
    "You know, I really don't want to be on this when it opens, rope or no. There might be spikes like in the other one."
    He takes untied end the rope tying him to Rurik, and ties it around the lever.
    He moves over to the dwarf, safely off the door.
    "Here we go..."
    He tugs on the rope.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Aduro is on the 3rd tile down, 2nd across

Once you pull the lever, you hear a familiar grinding noise, and a loud *CLANG*

It appears that lever did activate the trap door. This pit is much deeper than the previous one, but the bottom looks the same, full of spikes, There appears to be a shiny object down there. The rope is still attached to the lever.

Here's your map:
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-05-19 at 06:18 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Erika

Having recovered her stuff and walking back in when Aduro manages to open the pit. "Wow, thats great. You finally managed to set off a trap which could not have injured us that we could have left alone." She walks up and peers down into the deep hole(from C4) and says, "Well, that one is a bit deeper. That's what 30'? Say.. whats that shiny thing?" She holds her torch out over the opening to try and get a better look.

She eventually says, "I could fly down to check it out, but if we can get down there without squandering the divine gifts of Wee Jas, I would prefer that option. Rope anyone?"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Aduro

"Those spikes don't look too 'fortuitous' to me. Somebody should climb down and get that shiny, though."
    He looks around at the others.
    "Not me this time. I'm no climber. Though I suppose you could just lower me..."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

OOC: This was brought up in the other thread, but I'm giving out experience based on clearing sections of the tomb. Triggering/destroying every trap will give you no more experience than skipping all of them.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

24. - Top - End - #84

Rurik

"Hmm...I wonder if its magnetic?"

Rurik pulls a magnet and twine out of his pack. He ties the twine around the magnet, then positions himself on the edge of the trap and lowers the magnet down into the pit. He tries to avoid the spikes and is aiming for the shiny thing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Use rope check: (1d20+5)[10] to tie the knot
    Awesome Avatar by bayar

Quoted for the truth:
    But isn't it a racial power of college students to obtain various materials for free over the internets from "legitimate sources"?
    Harsk
    Captain Avery Tortuga

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Erika

Erika nods and pulls out a length of rope and ties a loop on one end.

Spoiler
    Show

"Rope Use" - (1d20+1)[5]

Once the knot seems secure enough, she hands the loop to Aduro and says, "Here slip this 'round your neck."

She has no doubt that she can hold his weight, but all the same she braces herself and lowers her center of gravity, waiting for him to start to lower himself down into the pit.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

You cannot confirm that the shiny object is magnetic. You can confirm that neither of you know how to tie knots and the spikes are magnetic. The magnet sticks to one of the spikes and your attempt to pull the magnet back out caused the knot to be undone.

The knot around Erika's rope undoes itself, then causes a bit of a tangle which takes her a minute to undo.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

27. - Top - End - #87

Rurik

"Well that didn't work. Alright Aduro its your turn now. And this time I promise I'll tie a better knot. And if you don't mind can you grab my magnet while your down there."

Rurik secures the rope around Aduro's middle and then helps Erika with the rope, slowly lowering Aduro into the pit of spikes.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: yeah, porbably should have just taken 10 or 20 on that, guess thats what I'll do for Aduro. Use Rope: 20+5=25
    Awesome Avatar by bayar

Quoted for the truth:
    Harsk
    Captain Avery Tortuga

28. - Top - End - #88

Imp

"No no let me do it, I want to go into the pit and help everyone get the shiny." says Torlo who is nearly hopping up and down with excitement, he seems oblivious to any danger anyone might be in.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Aduro

"Hey Erika? Not around the neck. That's a bad idea if you want to know what the shiny is."

Untying the ropes from the various parts of his body, Aduro smiles.

"Yeah, Torlo can do it. I'll go start looking for any more pits or other nasties that we should be wary of."

He ties the rope securely around the bard's waist and thighs, making a sort of harness.

"There, that should hold you up fairly comfortably. Watch out for the spikes, they could be poisoned. Have fun!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 20 on use rope, for a 25. Aduro will then take the pole and go search for more pits, taking 10 for a 27. Note that he will not step onto any pits he finds to try and open them, though he will prod them with the pole.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Erika

Erika raise an eyebrow at Torlo's enthusiasm and then shrugs. She takes the end of the rope walks back towards the entrance so that she can slowly lower him down.