New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Tomb of Horrors Group A (IC)

"Aw man, I can hardly see, I bet these are for people with better darkvision than me, here anyone want to try them on?"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Erika

Erika shakes her head and calls back over her shoulder at Cory, "Don't look at me, I can barely see even with this torch." She waves the torch around as she walks.

Erika looks around at the pits and such and says, "There as got to be a faster way. I'm squandering my youthful beauty stuck down here waiting for Aduro to find the next pit."

Erika walks back to the furthest pit the group has found 9c and stays along the right hand wall as she walks south. She takes a deep breath and puts her faith in her God. She then walks south a bit.

Spoiler
    Show

Move from 9b, 10b, 11b, 12b(keeping tight to the western wall). Holding my torch out in front me so I can see. I'll stop if I notice an open pit, trap, or something obvious.
    "Spot" - (1d20+16)[29]
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Erika is staring casually at the floor, hoping to spot something unusual while walking down the corridor. As she is about to finish her trip, the floor below her opens up! Erika screams as falls sideways into a spiked pit. Her body assumes a spread eagle formation to absorb the impact, but it only makes it easier for the spikes to harm her. Multiple spikes skewer her body as the poison enters her veins. The pain combined with the poison has knocked Erika unconscious.

OOC info:
    Spoiler
    Show

Erika walked onto 11b - Pit trap activated
    Failed Reflex Save - She fell in
    Pass tumble check - No fall damage
    Rolled number of spikes - 7 have a chance to hit
    Rolled spike accuracy - All of them hit
    Rolled Fort Check - Failed
    Rolled poison - 3 CON damage

Erika has taken 48 damage from the spikes and 3 CON damage

Erika is at -4 HP. Erika must roll stability checks. You only have a few rounds to save her.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-05-30 at 06:39 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Erika

When the floor opens up, she is initially happy that her reflexes kick in and she manages to tumble avoiding anything to harsh from the impact. That is, until the spikes. She screams out, in Infernal, "******", before falling unconscious.

The 10' pole she was carrying clatters against the bottom and the spikes and ends up leaning against one of the corners of the pit.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

5. - Top - End - #125

BardGuy

Cory

Seeing his companion scream and fall into the pit, Cory gasps and rushes towards it. She didn't find any traps before that one so I should make it.

1st round- Cory runs as fast as he can (double move should take him 60 feet) and jumps into the pit. He looks down to see Erika and notices the spikes, so he casts feather fall in midair and attempts to use the slower falling speed to avoid the spikes.
    2nd round- Cory reaches out and calls on the power of his God to restore Erika's health (cure moderate wounds to Erika).

Please be alright...

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Erika is farther away than Cory thought, and it takes him 12 seconds to get to the hole while avoiding pits. Cory dives into the pit, trying to lower himself down to avoid the spikes. He gets to Erika's body and uses his divine power to heal her. Erika is now conscious, but still in severe pain. Worse, she feels like she's going to get sicker.

OOC: Erika now has (2d8)[14] HP. It took Cory two rounds to get into the pit and one to heal her.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

7. - Top - End - #127

BardGuy

Cory

Seeing as he didn't do quite enough yet, Cory takes out his white healing wand and taps her with it, saying a short magic word. (cure moderate wounds from wand to Erika) "Don't worry about the poison. While I'm not able to get rid of it right now, once it runs its course I can restore your body back to normal."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Erika

Ugh. Erika allows Cory to help her pull herself off of all these spikes. She stares down at all the bleeding wounds dripping with poison and says, "Uh. Hold of on the wand. I've got some spells memorized, now that I'm conscious."

Erika invokes Wee Jas and purges some of the poison's effect from her body and then heals some of her wounds.

Spells
    Spoiler
    Show

Cast Lesser Restoration "Lesser Restore" - (1d4)[4] con damage
    Cast Cure Moderate Wounds "CWM" - (2d8+7)[13] HP

That puts my at 58 / 64 HP. The 3 points of CON were restored and 1 point of restoration lost. Hopefully I'll make some Fort Saves in a few rounds...

Looking around, she finds herself at the bottom of the pit and says, "Well... lets not do that again."

{{ OOC : Can I use a Heal Check to 'Treat Poison' on myself to give me another shot at making the save? I have the Heal Skill at +7 }}
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2008-05-31 at 12:48 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129

Imp

Oh Erika, that was far too dangerous, be more careful, you're lucky Cory got to you in time. Torlo frowns in disapproval, lets move on shall we?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

OOC: Heal doesn't work that way.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Erika

Erika holds her stomach and turns kind of green and gets sort of sweaty and say, "I still don't feel so good. I think maybe the poison is still working it course. Do we have anyone trained as a healer? ...besides me?"

Erika leans against the wall of the pit to wait for the poison to finish its deadly work.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Aduro

Aduro peers down into the pit at the spiked lady.
    "Youth and beauty? Why risk your life trying to preserve something you haven't got anyway?"

Stepping back from the pit he adds "Silly impatient human. if she wanted me to do it faster, she shoulda just said so. Or been smarter about it."

He then takes the pole he had been using and proceeds further south along the hallway, whacking the floor in front of him with the pole the way a blind man taps the ground with his cane, but much more vigorously.

Spoiler
    Show
    straight along the left hand wall 10C, 11C, 12C
    then weaving back and forth 12B, 13B, 13C, etc.

It occurs to me that Aduro would have to release his 'hand afire' ability in order to hold the pole in two hands without burning it. So, if he can, he'll use 'weapon afire' to surround the pole in flames (considering it an improvised weapon, I suppose). If that doesn't work, he will just rely on his darkvision and any color info he gets from his low-light vision.

In case you need them...
    Defenses(with current essentia allocation factored in) are:
    Fort +18, Ref +17, Will +10
    AC 26, Touch 21, FF 18
    Ability damage reduced by 4

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Aduro finds that arrow someone shot into the hallway a while ago. It is close to the end of the corridor. (12C)

He finds no more pits.

(Wall at B13/C13)
    A fork of the red tile path leads directly to a leering devil face set in the mosaic at the corridor’s end. The devil’s mouth gapes wide and empty—in fact it is dead black, emitting no hint of light and allowing none entry.

(Wall at C12/C13)
    A section of the red tile path leads into a mist-filled stone archway. Three large stones are embedded in the arch. Each has a different hue—yellow on the lower left, bluish at the top of the arch, and orange on the lower right.

New map:
    Spoiler
    Show

Erika only has a short time left to get someone to help her before she feels the poison's effects again. (OOC: Four rounds, but if you don't feel like waiting, just make a fortitude check in your next post)

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Erika

Erika resigns herself to suffering as it seems no one is willing to come aid her. Once the poison lashes out at her again she takes a moment to recover and calls out, "Could someone bring the 10' ladder over so that Cory and I can climb out of this horrible pit. Thanks!"

Save vs Poison
    Spoiler
    Show

"Fortitude Save" - (1d20+11)[23]
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2008-06-02 at 06:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Erika spasms slightly as the poison tries to reach her heart. Through sheer grit she endures it. The poison begins to subside and be cleansed from her body.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-06-02 at 07:01 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

16. - Top - End - #136

BardGuy

Cory

"Erika, if you're still ailing allow me to use the wand." If she allows it this time, Cory uses the cure moderate wounds wand on her. (2d8+3)[15] healing.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Erika

Erika is shocked at Cory and briefly snaps at him. "I am a priest you know? I can heal my own wounds." She takes a deep breath and tries to control herself, adding, "Besides, from what I've heard we are going to be in here a long time. We should conserve our wands so long as we have our daily benefit of spells remaining."

Seeing as she is trapped in pit she spends her time searching the walls of the pit for secret doors and such while she waits impatiently for the ladder.

She calls out again, "Ladder!" and as an afterthought, "Please" Her ladder is on the floor 10-15 feet from the entrance of the dungeon near another 10' pole and her backpack.

18. - Top - End - #138

BardGuy

Cory puts his wand away. "Ah, I see what you mean. Someone should be getting us out of here soon." I hope...what are they doing up there?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Aduro

"Would someone please get her that ladder? The yelling is giving me a headache." He yells down the hall. "Then come take a look at what I've found. No more pits though, unless they're as tough to open as the first one."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Erika finds nothing in the pit except for her own blood stains. Her cries for help are beginning to annoy the other adventurers.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

21. - Top - End - #141

Imp

"A ladder? Ok I can do that, then we can go see what Aduro has found." Torlo then goes and gets the ladder and lowers it into the pit, helping Corey and Erika out. "Sorry I took so long, my light isn't that great and I wanted to avoid the other pits."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Erika

Finally getting some results.

Erika secures the ladder and tosses out the 10' pole she was carrying when she fell in. She then climbs out herself. When she reaches the top she glares at Aduro and then smiles at Torlo and says, "Thank you."

She also calls out and says, "I think the spikes in the pit were poisoned. I don't have the tools needed, but maybe someone would like to try and extract some of the poison in case it proves a useful weapon?"

Once out she extracts the ladder from the pit and brings all of her gear down and sets in the corner at the end of the hallway(B13). She puts on her backpack and takes a look at what was found(without touching anything).

She comments, "What is up with that mist? Maybe its like a toll bridge. You toss a coin in the mouth of the statue thing here." She gestures at the devil head. "... and then the doorway opens."

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Aduro

"Toll? Could be... but that'd be a little odd, wouldn't it? Ol' Acerack is trying to keep people out, not charge for admission, right? Aduro bets it's a trap, and it bites people... but that might be too obvious for a smarty-pants lich."

He takes the dwarven pole he's been using and waves the end of it around in the devil's mouth.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

The pole is now two feet shorter when you pull it out.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Erika

Lost the tip of his pole... Erika giggles to herself as she ponders various red-light district style jokes.

She says, "Let me try." She takes out a gold piece and using her thumb, flips the coin several feet through the air and into the devil's mouth.

{{ Did it bite? Did we see/hear/smell anything? }}

Looking around, the chaotic nature of this place was starting to get to her. It seemed like things should be more symmetrical. Unless something happens when the coin enters the Devil's mouth, she starts searching the western wall opposite the misty portal for secret doors and such.

Rolls :
    Spoiler
    Show

"round1" - (1d20+2)[10]
    "round2" - (1d20+2)[13]

After two rounds of searching, assuming she finds nothing, she will use her Wand of Detect Secret Doors(although the spell description allows it to detect much more than just secret doors). She'll then scan the western wall area, then southern wall, the eastern, then scan back up the entry corridor.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Halfling in the Playground

Rurik

"Arg! Aduro, watch what your doing with my pole. Crazy gnome...grumble grumble"

Rurik looks sadly at the now 2ft shorter pole and wonders what the demon head did to it. Taking matters into his own hands, he pulls out some thieve's tools from his backpack, adjusts the goggles on his face, and begins to search the area around the devil head, being careful not to put anything into its mouth. Then he searches the archway, paying close attention to the three gems embedded in it, while not entering the mist.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rurik will take 20 on each search check for a total of 43 if its stonework or 41 if its not.
    Last edited by Durendal; 2008-06-07 at 08:52 PM.
    Awesome Avatar by bayar

Quoted for the truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    But isn't it a racial power of college students to obtain various materials for free over the internets from "legitimate sources"?
    Harsk
    Captain Avery Tortuga

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Erika is now one coin poorer with nothing to show for it. The coin went into the mouth, and that's it. She hears no noise, she neither sees nor smells anything new. Erika does find a secret door behind the painting of a torture chamber. It is now unfortunately blocked by a spike pit (4 A/B).

Rurik learns that the rock around the demon head is just that, rock.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Erika

Disappoint that she didn't find a secret door where she thought one would be for sure, she slumps her shoulders and continues to scan. When she detects the secret door, she immediately brightens up and says, "Oh oh! There is a secret door back there. " She focuses the scan on the spot to get all the details(from rounds 2 and 3). As she narrows down the position she says, "Its just there, across that pit."

She slowly and carefully makes her way back towards the entrance a bit so she is just across the pits from the secret door. Proudly she points and says, "There."

29. - Top - End - #149

BardGuy

Cory

After climbing out of the pit, Cory looks around again. He watches Rurik examine the statue with curiosity. As the door is found is attention turns to Erika again, to make sure she didn't fall into another pit. Seeing her still standing, Cory goes back to looking at the devil's head and casts detect magic on the statue. What is this thing? I doubt I should put my hand into it, but I'm curious.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Aduro

Aduro hands the now shortened pole to Rurik.
    "Uh, I broke it... Aduro said that might happen when you gave it to me."

Aduro follows Erika back along the hall.

"Hmm..."

He grabs the ladder and drags it to the pit, then climbs down it, carefully avoiding the spikes. He then moves the ladder around to the wall-side of the pit, bracing it's bottom against the spikes. He climbs up the ladder and begins examining the wall for any sign of how to open the door. First he looks around as much as possible to see if there are any clues in the paining or any concealed triggers. If he cannot see how to open the door, he will try to feel for a trigger. He runs his inky-black hands along the wall, hoping to feel the slightest change in texture or depth that might indicate a latching mechanism.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 20 to search for a total of 33. If that doesn't yield results, he will shift two essentia from his armor to his Truthseeker Goggles and try again.
    Net changes would be -2 AC & +4 gather info, search, & sense motive