New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Tomb of Horrors Group Z (IC)

Looking around, you see brilliant colors are everywhere; pigments painted
    on stone are undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor is a colorful mosaic, featuring a distinct, winding path of red tiles forming a 2-foot-wide,
    meandering trail south down the corridor. A few chips and gaps reveal that cement or plaster covers the underlying stonework of the corridor. The walls are covered in paintings depicting varying scenes. The corridor is approximately 20 ft. wide and 20 ft. high. You can't see the end of it.

The only available light is coming from the hole you made. You are attempting to search for things in near darkness. You find nothing on the first 5 ft square. You're on top of the red path.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jayln

Sitting down and relaxing for lunch, Jalyn then in the middle of the meal get's up, and walks over towards the 3rd entrance and begins to dig it out, or help who ever is doing so. After it is done, he walks back over and finishes his meal, without ever saying a word.
    Never come between a Dwarf and his Ale
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

Awesome Runic Dwarf Avatar by Bayar

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

The hole is big enough for an average-sized humanoid to fit through, but full excavation of the entrance would take a long time for someone working on their own. It would possibly even take hours to complete.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Alexis

Seeing Jalyn by the entrance, Alexis pokes his head out of the hole. "You got a torch? I want a better look in this hole."

Spoiler
    Show
    I know it is quite dark in the hole, but Alexis is an elf. Is just too dark for him to see, or is the little bit of light from the cave entrance sufficient for his low light vision?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

The sun is now almost directly overhead. You need a torch to be able to see a decent distance. Your head and shoulders are blocking Jalyn's light.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bok

Feeling full, Bok collects up his things and heads over to Alexis and Jalyn and peers into the hole. "We gonna start 'sploring yet? Bok think holes are big enough."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Winnet

Satisfied with her meal Winnet stores her gear and walks over to the hole that is being gathered around, "Bok, sugar, if you will kindly move out of the way I will use my innate expertise to deduce whether this entrance is the true one." Speaking with a saccharin voice, "Jayln, Alexis you too I need room to work. I also brought a torch." Reaching into her pack Winnet pulls out an already lit torch.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Alexis

Grudgingly, Alexis inspects the area to his left for anything potential lethal, and moves aside. "Knock yourself out..." As Winnet enters, he gazes down the corridor with her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: Traps in square to left of entrance square.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Alexis finds nothing.

Winnet, staring into the inside of the room, you see that the floor mosaic hides barely noticeable runes: a message in Common. It says the following:
    Spoiler
    Show

ACERERAK CONGRATULATES YOU ON YOUR
    POWERS OF OBSERVATION. SO MAKE OF THIS
    WHATEVER YOU WISH, FOR YOU WILL BE MINE IN
    THE END NO MATTER WHAT!
    Go back to the tormentor or through the arch,
    and the second great hall you’ll discover.
    Shun green if you can, but night’s good color
    is for those of great valor.
    If shades of red stand for blood the wise
    will not need sacrifice aught but a loop of
    magical metal—you’re well along your march.
    Two pits along the way will be found to lead
    to a fortuitous fall, so check the wall.
    These keys and those are most important of all,
    and beware of trembling hands and what will maul.
    If you find the false you find the true
    and into the columned hall you’ll come,
    and there the throne that’s key and keyed.
    The iron men of visage grim do more than
    meets the viewer’s eye.
    You’ve left and left and found my Tomb
    and now your soul will die.

Map of entrance:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Makrish

Makrish stands up from his lunch, and walks over to the entrance that Alexis is at.
    "What you see over here? Is this the real one?"
    He asks Alexis.
    Sweet Cap. America Avi by KPenguin

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Alexis

Alexis turns back towards the entrance "I have no idea. You should ask for Miss Winnet's 'innate expertise.' It does seem more decorative than the other ones though." Poking his head out the hole, he asks, "does anyone have an extra torch I can use? It would be helpful so I could see any traps that might be ahead before we walk into them."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

((I'm sorry for my absence, my internet connection was giving me heck.))

While on the surface, Irazeg grabs a couple of rocks. He pulls his box of rations out of his cloak (it's only two pounds, so I assume it's very small) and eats in Alexis' hole, and offers some to anyone who doesn't have any. He tells Bok, I'm pretty sure this is the right hole, my friend.

After he finishes eating, he begins throwing rocks indiscriminately into the tunnel.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Winnet

"I would surmise that this entrance is the correct route, due not only to the dressed up appearance but there is also an intricate poem in the chamber that leads me to believe this." Leaning in a bit with her torch Winnet examines the room from afar before turning back to her companions, "We have some important things to discuss before we enter into the chamber. Firstly, unless imminent danger is upon us, under no circumstances is ANYONE to touch ANYTHING that has not been inspected by myself or Alexis. Secondly, under no circumstances, barring my previous mention, is ANYONE to venture forth ahead of either myself or Alexis. If anyone has a problem with these few simple rules I bid you good day and will see you when the rest of us finish our expedition."

Spoiler
    Show
    Winnet will take 20 on an Autohypnosis check to memorize the poem.
    Last edited by MOD; 2008-05-14 at 08:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Alexis

Alexis' mood is clearly improved by the acknowledgement of his competence at trap finding. "Be right back. We can check this hole out further soon." Alexis goes out of the hole and quickly turns to Bok "Bok, if you wouldn't mind doing just a bit more digging, we should open up this hole a bit more in case any spiders chase us out." Turning to Baxter, he smiles and points out the entrance that everyone is working at and informs him that some more light is required.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Baxter ignores him or does not offer assistance, slight of hand to borrow a torch. SOH - (d20+16)[26]
    If a bluff is needed too, BLUFF - (d20+14)[16]

15. - Top - End - #75
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bok

Bok once more takes up the shovel to finish excavating the entrance, happy to know that soon the real adventure will begin.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Alexis can see the frame of the entrance. Compared to the hole that Bok is expanding, it would take Bok a little over an hour and a half to finish digging it out on his own.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Alexis

Alexis returns to the hole, pats Bok on the back, and squeezes into the entrance. He nods at Winnet, and begins to calmly search the area immediately inside the entrance for anything that might lead to an unfortunate end.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: Take 10 on searching each square (left, then right) until a trap is found, or Alexis moves more than 3 squares into the corridor. If Alexis did not suceed in grabbing a torch, he will wait for someone to provide light before he searches a dark square.
    Last edited by salokcin; 2008-05-15 at 09:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

It takes a minute to take ten on a 5 ft square. It takes you 12 minutes to search for traps on the following squares: 2 down, 3 across; 2 down, 2 across; 3 down, 2 across. You find nothing on any of them.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Alexis

"Looks clear so far." Alexis looks around the corridor, taking in the sights without moving, and then resumes his normal trap searching.

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought only taking 20 required extra time, you just can't take 10 when distracted? http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm. If not, then Alexis will begin normal searches instead, going back and covering any squares between him and the entrance that he has not searched yet.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Opps, my mistake. The guy in the other thread took 20 a couple of times and my brain stuck. In that case, it took you 1 minute, 12 seconds.

You find nothing in the following: 3 down, 3 across; 4 down, 3 across.

On 4 down, 2 across, you find a 10 ft by 10 ft trap door. It appears to be a pit trap of some sort.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Irazeg continues to sit on the floor next to the entrance, and begins reading the poem from where he's sitting. Finding it uninteresting, he desides to help Bok out with the digging, and as he gets up, he asks Didn't one of you have a torch or somesuch'? and, more quitely to Winnet, You don't want to be pushy around me. Believe me... And begins hacking at the dirt.
    Last edited by Moff Chumley; 2008-05-15 at 10:12 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Winnet

Winnet turns to Irazeg and says as sweetly as possible, "Oh I'm sorry if you find what I said too pushy allow me to rephrase my words." Winnet clears her throat, "You will not be joining us on this expedition, Irazeg, if you don't follow my simple instructions in this matter. They are for everyone's benefit as they will keep us alive. If you will not abide then you are free to explore the other two entrances. Enjoy yourself." Turning back to the entrance Winnet hops into the tomb and begins searching the walls and the ceiling for traps.

Spoiler
    Show
    Winnet will take a 10 and only search on squares that Alexis has previously cleared.
    Last edited by MOD; 2008-05-15 at 10:46 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Alexis

"Take it easy you two. There's plenty better ways to die in this tomb than upon each other's hands. Incidentally, I generally agree with Winnet, but feel free to go first if that's what you would like. Saves me a bit of searching for traps, like the one right here." Having said his piece, Alexis turns back to the trap in question, and focuses on learning how it it is triggered and how best to disable it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Disable Device: Pit trap at 4 down, 2 across. If possible, figure out how trap works exactly (where hinges are etc)
    DD - (d20+18)[24]

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

42 seconds later...

Shoving a thin piece of sheet metal in between the tile the trap is located on and the adjacent tile, you jam the mechanism from activating. You can't seem to figure out how it worked at all. It's a rather odd pit trap.

Winnet doesn't find any more traps as she retraces Alexis's steps.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-05-16 at 07:06 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Firbolg in the Playground

Baxter

Having dozed off, commotion from one of the digs wakes Baxter

...zzz...huh?...oh...Finally found the right one have we?

The gnome hops up from his spot on the ground, grabs his belongings, and slowly moves toward the tomb's opening, stopping to watch Bok continue to dig.

Spoiler
    Show
    See the OOC thread for why I've been AWOL

26. - Top - End - #86
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jalyn

Still standing up top looking into the hole, waiting to see what kind of trouble the group is going to get into, Jayln finall steps down, and stares and tries to remember the paths everyone is walking, in order to copy them if safe.

Spoiler
    Show

Just an FYI, you can't take 20 on some checks, like disable device, and open lock. you can take it on search tho. Taking 20, takes 20 times as long b/c it assumes you have time. you take a 1, then a 2, then a 3... and so on. and most of the time taking that 1 on a trap or a lock will set it off or jam it.
    Never come between a Dwarf and his Ale
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

Awesome Runic Dwarf Avatar by Bayar

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Irazeg, eyeing the disabled pit trap, uses his Dance of the Spider stance and begins walking along the walls as if they were floors. He seems perfectly comfortable with this, as if he's completely used to doing this. Deliberately ignoring Winnet, Irazeg walks up to the place where Alexis is standing and tells him, If your going to spend that long going twenty feet, it'll take us a month to get through this dungeon.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Alexis

Shocked, Alexis jumps a few feet back towards the entrance. Regaining his composure, he looks up at Irazeg and replies, "I'm in no rush. Besides, two minutes isn't a terribly long time. Probably quicker than pulling someone out of a pit. That is a handy skill you have there though. Feel free to scout on ahead, and I will keep looking for a safe path for everone else." Alexis then carefully steps forward onto the (hopefully) disabled pit trap, and takes a look at his surroundings.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Looking at the art on the walls, you see this:

The images depict fields with cattle grazing, a copse with several wolves in the background, slaves—human, orc, elven, and strange human-animal mixtures of pig-human, ape-human, and dog-human—going about various tasks. Certain frescoes are more focused and show rooms of some building—a library filled with
    many books and scrolls, a torture chamber, and a wizard’s work room. Chairs, windows, boxes, bales, doors, chests, birds, bats, spiders, and all manner of
    things appear on the walls.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Winnet

Looking at Irazeg with disdain Winnet stops her searching, "Irazeg you are being a fool, and a dangerous one at that. If you want to live through this tomb and not unnecessarily endanger everyone's lives you'll stop being childish and do the two simple things that I requested. I don't understand why you cannot see the necessity of this."