New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 48 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Cascade Failure (Aurethius' Exalted) [IC]

At first, it could barely be seen. Tiny flickers crept through the massive branches and leaves of the forest. Sprinkles of dew on the grass flashed for just a moment. Small hints that the sun was beginning to rise.

As the sun climbs up from the edge of Creation, at the edge of the Wyld and the unfathomable fields of the cosmos beyond, so too do the men and women of Farside climb from their beds. Farmers rouse their young sons to tend to the waking livestock. Young girls with baskets run to the henhouses to collect the morning's eggs for breakfast. The Hunter's Guild begins rigorous morning exercises, stretching and pulling on their muscles, groggy from sleep. Wisps of smoke begin to curl from the workshop of the town blacksmith, starting an early day of long hammering and forging.

In this small village, a number of certain people awake with the day, a day that secretly promises to hold new beginnings as fantastic and beautiful as the sunrise...

Kyushin
    Spoiler
    Show

A young boy sneaks away from home to a special clearing within the woods. His brown skin blends in perfectly with the flora around him, but his wide smile would give him away even to the untrained eye. He sits in his favourite position, and watches what he has come to see. The unusual noble from the West, a proud and talented man, moved in the clearing, aiming for droplets of water falling from the thick canopy overhead.

Though Kyushin's attitude with the villagers was often less than pleasant, the boy had no fear of his words. He was innocently enthralled by him, and dreamed that he could train under the noble, become his wandering apprentice, fighting monsters and demons and protecting the innocent! He imagined this warrior battling a hundred men, no, a thousand! Swinging and thrusting, every hit landing squarely, and dancing away to strike another before an enemy could even come close. He imagined the spear (looking much larger in his imagination) being hurled clear over a mountain, only to fall in a distant city, and strike an evil tyrant straight though his wicked heart.

The boy clamped his mouth shut to keep from laughing. He was lucky that he had, for a moment later, a Capfinder walked into the clearing and called for Kyushin Mageros, interrupting his practice... Sir, Pine Needles needs to see you in his home within 15 minutes. He says that there is an important visitor coming to see him today, and that he needs you to be there.

The boy sighs and sneaks off, heading back home. It seemed there would be no more practice for this day.

Spoiler
    Show
    The rest of you, please feel free to begin as you like! Kaliel is the visitor, if you hadn't guessed. Kyuedo, please wait to 'arrive' before the other characters have started 'playing'.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Cascade Failure (Aurethius' Exalted) [IC]

Clear Waters steps out of the inn before the sun clears the tree-tops. She stops in the door, to appreciate the fading red and pink of dawn in the Eastern sky, and then moves on.
    She's on her way to urZah's place to talk to him about the day's tasks.

3. - Top - End - #3

urZah is sitting before a small stone altar, one he designed for sacrifices to those who have passed away. The ashes at the base of the altar, and the wisps of white smoke still curling about the ceiling and out of the windows, show that he had just finished sending some gifts to the Underworld.

The effigies of items, when burned in remembrance of a loved one, are transferred to the Underworld. Though the copy may be made of wood, or clay, or any material, they become what they are meant to be in the hands of he or she who receives it. In this way, weapons, clothes, tools, and even money can be sent cheaply, and enrich the unlives of those below. This particular offering was sent to the soul of Furthest Canyon, an older man who was urZah's personal friend. The middle-aged spirit guide sent him a handsome birthday present, (for this was indeed his friend's birthday), of money and several novels.

urZah looks to Clear Waters, bowing as she enters. Welcome, young apprentice!, and good morning. How are you feeling? I hope that you are well-rested and ready for what today will bring us!

Roll Perception + Socialize!
    Last edited by Trenchfoot; 2008-05-12 at 10:15 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Clear Waters returns the bow, her head sinking slightly deeper than her teacher's had.
    A good morning to you as well, my teacher, and I hope you are as well-rested as I am.

[roll](6d10)[/roll]

5. - Top - End - #5

Sorry, trying to roll again:

(6d10)[39]

6. - Top - End - #6

Spoiler
    Show
    Remember to make your D10 rolls seperately, ie

Roll
    Roll
    Roll

Every 7+ is a Success. And remember to edit the post you made, if you need to make a correction!

(Even with his natural talent at putting on facades, you can clearly see that urZah is a bit unnerved. You can tell that he is over thinking something, but is trying to play it off.)

Oh, yes of course! Just fine.

He then sighs, catches himself doing so, and turns back to the altar to gather the ashes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I suggest using rollv instead of roll. That's the easiest way.
    (10d10)[4][6][9][2][4][6][4][7][2][2](46)
    See?

8. - Top - End - #8

Clear Waters can see that something is bothering urZah, but does not know what. For now, she resolves to watch him for clues.
    She joins him at the altar and offers her help in gathering the ashes.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry about the rolls. I was already far from my computer when I realized the mistake.

9. - Top - End - #9

BardGuy

Kyushin held his stance for a moment, letting the servant get uncomfortable. Just as the servant opened his mouth to repeat himself, Kyushin snapped back into parade rest, then relaxed and turned toward the older man.

"Tell the Master that I will return at once," Kyushin told the servant, then turned and walked over to the bush where he'd put his heavier overshirt while he practiced. He leaned his spear against a nearby tree, then reached up to pull out the leather cord that had been holding back his hair. As he pulled the cord off he shook his head, scattering droplets of sweat and morning dew in all directions. He pulled his overshirt on, then bent over to pick up his sandals from next to the tree, using the motion to stretch his calves and relieve the slight aching the half-completed morning workout had worked into them. He stood and looked around the small clearing one more time, then sighed, retrieved his spear, and turned to walk back toward the village.

The morning smells of the village were odd to him. The faint smell of cooked soy and chicken's feet emanated from the Inn, where the innkeeper was busy making dim sum for the farmers on their way to the fields. This vaguely stomach-turning odor mixed with the more...earthy...odors of oxen and pigs in a foul perfume that wrinkled Kyushin's nose. The morning's sounds were similarly foreign, the lowing livestock and grunting peasants forming a distinct contrast to the slap of sails and the steady susuration of the sea that Kyushin had grown up with. Well, perhaps the grunts of the farmers weren't that different from the grunts of the dock workers back home, but still...

Kyushin ducked into the front entrance of the large, wooden building where Pine Needles made his home. He handed his spear and sandals to a waiting servant, then stood patiently while another servant came and cleaned the dust of the road and the clearing off his feet before entering the household proper. He walked into a back room and knelt on a pillow, bowing his head respectfully toward the other occupant of the room.

"You called for me, Master?" he asked Pine Needles.
    Last edited by Horatio@Bridge; 2008-05-12 at 05:32 PM.
    Developer for the Sengai Jidai role-playing game, powered by FATE. Check out the latest progress at the development blog.

10. - Top - End - #10

Clear Waters
    Spoiler
    Show

We're making a trip to the cave today... I have a case of rotten grains over by the door, we'll need to bring that with us. Apparently, Pine Needles feels the need to make an early trip this month, but he says it will only be a small gathering. He's only bringing one Capfinder and the doctor with us.

urZah pauses for a moment, hesitating on his choice of words. I'm not sure why, though. When I told him that it had better be only a small trip, he was very eager to agree. He didn't even say that it was for something specific, not the Monshood Roots or even the Deathcap Spores he's always clamoring for. He's been pushing for earlier and earlier harvests in the cave lately, and larger payloads, but this time he..... compromised! It makes me wonder if he's finally coming around! If we can make these small trips a habit, it would be better for us.
    He doesn't seem to be sure that this is the case, but he's clearly hopeful.

In any case, gather your things for today. I can only hope that Deep-Sultra is in a good mood.

Kyushin
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes! Good that you came so quickly, we will have much to discuss when our visitor arrives. Pine Needles is in high spirits this morning, as opposed to his usual sulk. His green jade dagger, which he typically keeps as an ornamental decoration above his desk, lies in a sheath in his lap. Also on his desk is a small, well-crafted jar, with an unused simple cloth next to it. He is wearing his traveling boots as well. It is still several days from any scheduled Capfinding expeditions, and two weeks before a trip to Greyfalls had been organized with the Hunter's Guild.

Things have been set in motion, things I have not seen fit to inform you of. Do not be offended, young noble, for you are crucial to what will take place today. I have grown far too weary of the paranoia and laziness of these people. I have tried to explain to them too many times what I need, and they continue to refuse me. An obvious exaggeration. Pine Needle's explanations to the council usually consist of a quick bout of whining and then silent disappointment when he is defeated. The last time you saw him act like this was when he had the upper hand in a gambling den in Greyfalls...

He smiles a wicked smile. Tell me, when you come upon an obstacle in your path, and you cannot move around it, nor climb over it, nor negotiate with it, what do you do?
    Last edited by Trenchfoot; 2008-05-13 at 04:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Oblivious to the important events being set in motion by the leaders of the village, Graceful Lotus was currently home, away from the hunts. Even for her there was a life in the village that had to be taken care of if she wanted to keep her connection to it. Her parents were going to butcher one of their animals today and in the interest of harmonious relationship with her family she had agreed to help them.

Making her way through the village she looked around at the strange, seemingly static lives of people around her. Things changed of course, but they just changed into being completely the same. Her childhood friends were tiling the same land their parents had tiled, their children playing the same games they themselves had changed. It was nice being home for a while, but home got so terribly confining at times and she would never understand how people could be satisfied with just that.

As these thoughts went through the head of the tall hunter, she noticed the dynast. Some things did change after all, though not all of them for the better. The appearance of the man had just reinforced the unchanging nature of the village, as people drew together around what made his arrogance unfounded. The dynast himself was not too interesting a change either, spending most of his time posing to show off his superiority to everyone else.

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

"Go through it, of course," Kyushin replied, "but how..." Kyushin's eyes widened. "You're going to make them increase production by force!"
    Developer for the Sengai Jidai role-playing game, powered by FATE. Check out the latest progress at the development blog.

13. - Top - End - #13

Move through it and remove it, precisely. I am tired of being stopped at every turn, young Mageros. I have given them every opportunity to compromise with me. They have given me no logical reason for their refusal, other than ignorant stubbornness and cultural superstition. I have faced an obstacle I cannot cross nor negotiate with, so I shall simply remove it. He raises his hands in the air as if he has the answer to life itself. I will describe my plan in full detail to you once we have the cooperation of our visitor. If we can garner even a portion of his financial support, it will ensure the success of my plan. In fact, I believe he has just arrived in town... Perhaps you could go meet with him, and bring him here?

(Cue Kyuedo! TerraOblivion, as you are crossing town at this moment, you may see his entrance, depending on how he describes it.)
    Last edited by Trenchfoot; 2008-05-13 at 02:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Clear Waters is surprised about Pine Needles' uncharacteristic behavior, wondering what the Dragon-Blooded is up to - does he think that by being compromising now, he can push for even more later? Or does he want something specific from them or DeepSultra? She suspects that urZah is worried about this question as well.
    "I will be back quickly," she promises, before heading out again. As she retraces her steps through the village, she can hear the morning songs of the birds over the less beautiful sounds made by humans and livestock. She offers greetings to the people she meets.

In her room, she gets ready for the hike - her sandals are comfortable, but hardly sturdy enough for a hike through the forest - and quickly gathers what she will need into her bag. As she pick up two of her throwing clubs, she hesitates - there will be neither opportunity nor need for their use on an expedition that includes Pine Needles and his men - but packs them anyway. She owes a visit to a pond spirit near Deep-Sultra's cave, so maybe she will split from the group once they've finished.
    Soon, she is ready and starts walking back.
    Last edited by Gariun; 2008-05-13 at 03:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGuy

Kyushin bowed. "I shall see to it at once," he said, and rose to his feet. At last! he thought to himself as he walked back to his room to prepare for his first meeting with Pine Needles' visitor, some excitement! Still, best not let it get away with me...Mother would be cool and collected going into a meeting like this, even if the Realm itself were on the line. I need to make a good impression. Kyushin paused in front of his wardrobe while a servant waited patiently for his next orders. "Hmm...I need something to impress an important dignitary," he mused out loud. The servant bowed, and turned to the wardrobe, pulling out a long red silk robe with golden dragons embroidered on the sleeves and the hem and a subtle flame pattern woven through the entire garment. The servant selected a thin golden circlet centered with a small ruby to complement the robe and an orange under-robe, visible only at the collar. A golden sash, tied at the waste, completed the outfit. "Good," Kyushin nodded, "that's very striking. It will do nicely."
    Last edited by Horatio@Bridge; 2008-05-13 at 05:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

The mid-morning sun shone down on the landscape as Kaliel and his party neared the backwater village. The day was not particularly warm, especialy by southern standards, but Kaliel was not used to the humidity. Already sweat dampened his hair. His father's men, similarly decked in leather and chain mail, fared more or less the same. The forest provided some shade, but it also made the men wary of possible ambush. No thieves likely lurked in the woods, but this far from home it was better safe than sorry.

Sirocco tossed his head, as tired of the long trip as the prince. Kaliel patted his mount, sincerly wishing Father had not insisted upon buying silk directly from the source. Nexus or even Great Forks was weeks closer than this small village and would be much more able to supply the needs of Seprian weavers, but Father had decided that what money was lost on shipping would be reclaimed by cutting out the middlemen. "The trip will be over soon and we can all take a break," he said, talking more to himself than to his horse, but the horse wickered anyway, clearly in agreeance.

The small caravan continued on, Kaliel in front with a few soldiers riding beside him, the small cart carrying the supplies and the silver down payment, a full talent and likely more money than most of these peasants would see in a lifetime, in the middle, and more soldiers bringing up the rear. The trip so far had been less than pleasant. Although there had been no attacks by bandits, Kaliel did not get along well with the other men. His cold attitude towards the lowborn soldiers had not won him any love, and niether had his skill in swordsmanship, although it had won him their grudging respect. They followed his orders out of duty, nothing more.

The east was a whole different world from the south. In the south, a forest was a stand of stunted ponderosas no more than a ten paces wide. Here, trees taller than anything he'd ever seen in his life stretched out to the east as far as the eye could see. The familiar desert sands and the arid grasslands of Sepria could seem further away than they did here. Kaliel put a hand on the hilt of one of his scimitars, the feel of the blade a steadying influence in this strange land.

Ahead the trees began to thin, and the prince could make out the first buildings he had seen in at least a day's travel. The town's small wooden houses, weathered a grey color by the frequent rains, are so different from the flat-roofed adobe buildings of his homeland. A few people walked the hardpacked dirt streets, going about their daily lives as the caravan rode around a bend in the road and into full view. Most were dressed in simple earth tones, but one was dressed in flamboyant red and gold, standing out like a peacock amoung pidgeons.

"That looks like the local inn," he said to the captain in charge of the soldiers, pointing to the large wooden building across the village square. "Get the men settled while I find out who is in charge of this mudhole." Kaliel taps his heals against Sirocco's ribs and the stallion trots ahead before the captain has a chance to answer.

The prince reins the horse up in front of the stuffed peacock, his silk plumage looking entirely out of place for a backwater town. "You there, who is in charge of this village?" Kaliel addresses the man imperiously.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hold him still. The shoulders simply dislocated, but the more he squirms the more it will hurt. Just...let...me...push..huh. That wasn't so bad, now was it?" Willows moves back from the young boy lying siting on the table, and looks to his older brother and father standing nearby standing nearby."He'll have a nasty bruise, but it the arm will be fine in a few hours. And you're going out to the outcrop near the bend in the river later today, right? I'm running low on willow bark, so could you get some while you're there? Thank you."

Now then, Pine needles want my presence on the trip to Seep Sutra.Why he wants my presence is beyond me, but its best to oblige him. Willows gathers a small pack, taking only a small medical kit, a change of clothes, and two empty bags for herbs and moss that he might be able to collect from Deep Sutra's. caves. "There, that should do it. Soaring Sawn, are you done with breakfast? Come child, lets get you dressed and off to Cat's house"

He hurries the happy girl along, and soon afterward is ready to leave. Willows shoulders the light pack and head out into the streets, and is greeted by the sight of the foreigner on his horse talking to the young dynast from the Realm.A foreigner? Looks like he's from the South....But why would he come here?Willows stares at the sight for a moment, then continues down the street towards Leaping Moon's house.

"Hello Moon.Thank you for looking after Swan. I'm not sure how long I'll be gone, but it probably won't be for more than a day, two at the most."
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Perception+Medicine0(7d10)[6][1][7][10][7][8][10](49)
    Not sure what treating it would be; For now I'm assuming that treating a dislocated shoulder isn't difficult.

Edit: 7 successes vs Difficulty 2. Overkill, much?
    Right now, Prancing Cat is Swan's friend, and Leaping Moon is her Mother, but I could Change those names if that's a problem.
    Last edited by MeklorIlavator; 2008-05-13 at 10:51 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

BardGuy

Kyushin's eyes flashed at the tone of the foreigner's question. There was a small voice in the back of his head that warned him that this person was probably the important visitor that Pine Needles was expecting and should be dealt with dipl...but the thought was washed out by the searing fires of indignation at being addressed so rudely.

"I, here, am Kyushin Mageros, third son of Danan and Ryu Mageros, nobles of the Dynast House Cathak, protectors and servants of the Realm. And if you have any intention of casting eyes on the prefect of this town, you can come down off your high horse and show proper respect!"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

"I like my seat just fine, thank you. I am Prince Kaliel Ben-Sharomon of Sepria and I am here to negotiate trade with the prefect of this town. Either you will take me to him, or I will wait for him to come to me. It makes no difference in the end. Now, which will it be?"

Kaliel cooly sits in his saddle, every inch the arrogant prince. His bright blue eyes look down on the dynast with expectation, waiting for his choice.

20. - Top - End - #20

BardGuy

Kyushin's nostrils flare and his face reddens. "Wait here as long as you wish, Prince of Sand, but I will be taking you nowhere until such time as you have learned to recognize your betters!" At this, Kyushin turns to stalk off to the edge of the village, intending to work off his indignation practicing martial arts in the forest clearing.

21. - Top - End - #21

Gariun and TerraOblivion
    Both of you see and hear the altercation between the two young nobles as you are passing through town. PolkaBear and Eex may be as well, depending on where they are.

MeklorIlavator
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh yeah, 7 successes, you fix his shoulder just fine. What a doc! And those names are fine. As you are heading to Moon's house, you happen to pass by the obviously furious Kyushin Mageros.

The servant who had been silently panicking as the two nobles faced off stares open-mouthed as Kyushin storms away. He looks at the prince and starts to stutter something, but completely fails to say anything intelligible. Apparently he wasn't planning on being the one to suddenly face the challenge of etiquette and diplomacy with a visiting southern prince, and it clearly shows! What he does manage to do is bow deeply, and gesture towards a large house nearby. It's understandable that this servant would have no idea what to do with such an unexpected situation.

Kaliel's eye catches that of a tall woman wearing a hunter's garb and a face that was moments ago deep in thought. He also notices a green-haired young woman watching the Dynast walk away from him. Odd... why should they stand out at all?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaliel smiles as he watches the dynast storm off. Those of the Realm always thought themselves better than everyone else, even third sons. It was refreshing to get to take one down a notch for a change. The prince then rides towards the inn. Might as well make it easier for the prefect to find me, he thought, even if it is going to be some ignorant village headman.

23. - Top - End - #23

Clear Waters had been about to enter a side-street, but turns around at the caravan's entrance into the village square. She watches the face-off with some irritation. Another noble with an inflated ego? Just what this village needs! We already have two of them.
    She still isn't sure what to think about Kyushin - given his behavior towards the villagers, she should dislike him almost as much as she does Pine Needles, but for some reason she only feels exasperated. And it isn't just the crush he seems to have on her, as Quick Salamander and her friends like to claim. Something seems familar about the young man, even though that makes no sense at all.

After the dynast stalks off, she walks on - nothing to see anymore. The sun is finally strong enough to warm her face and shoulders. As she enjoys the warmth, she wonders if the altercation will cause problems for Pine Needles. The thought fills her with a feeling of schadenfreude.
    She finally reaches urZah's home and starts to talk as soon as she enters: Sir, something extraordinary just happened on the village square. A southern prince arrived and ...

24. - Top - End - #24

Kyuedo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Servant seems like he's hyperventilating now, and finally finds his voice. Sir, Sire, My Lord, the prefect awaits you in that place, that house, right there My Lord. I will stable your horse if you wish it Sire. Sir. He suddenly bows, far too quickly, and falls over, becoming an odd lawn dart here in the village square. He remains with his head down, seeming certain that he's doing what he is supposed to do.

Gariun
    Spoiler
    Show
    A prince? Now? Well that begins to explain things... urZah sets his head in his palm, and looks at you with twinkling eyes. Our local Imperial wishes to show his buyers how terrible we treat him, it would seem! Perhaps he wants this sudden, 'short gathering' to demonstrate to this Southerner how little we allow him to take to Greyfalls! I understand that our mushrooms are a delicacy in the southern lands. Naturally. Hmmm... What do you make of this, Clear Waters?
    Last edited by Trenchfoot; 2008-05-14 at 05:31 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Clear Waters frowns. But how is that supposed to benefit him? A higher price, or does he want pity?
    She starts to think out loud: We could, however, surprise him. Maybe, if Deep-Sultra plays along. I know that Quick Salamander and some of his friends just returned from a longer trip, the day before yesterday, and they didn't want to leave again until tomorrow. Should I invite them along?
    That could, of course, just play into Pine Needles' hands, and we don't know how Deep-Sultra will react.

Her eyes have started twinkling as well.

Spoiler
    Show

I hope this kind of inventing things is OK? If not, I can either delete the second paragraph, or urZah can find some reason why it isn't a good idea.

26. - Top - End - #26

No, he was quite insistent on only bringing us few. He even tried to suggest I not bring YOU along! No, if this Southerner has even half a mind about him, he'll understand that we limit our harvesting for the sake of the environment, and none of Pine Needles' complaints can change that. He mumbles to himself quietly. Perhaps if you find the opportunity, you can talk to this Prince, and explain our side to him. Preferable AFTER he has talked to Needles. I'm sure he isn't so dense as to be lofted along on one of Needle's long and wheedling tales.

Spoiler
    Show
    By all means, invent! Invent! My tyranny over your characters is already at an end! Now I serve to GUIDE the story, not CREATE it myself.
    Last edited by Trenchfoot; 2008-05-14 at 10:55 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Seeing the southern prince enter the village square and accost Kyushin made Graceful Lotus stop, to see what would happen. Travelers were getting more common in the village it seemed and grander each time. As the brief exchange wore on it seemed like arrogance could be added, at least this guy seemed worse that Kyushin at that. As long as she didn't have to deal with the noble or drag his men out of fights, she didn't care much but it was still interesting that the village was getting this popular.

As she thought this she headed on, her parents still needed her help, with the pig. As she reached their farm on the outskirts of the village, she started hearing the terrified squeals of the pig as they were preparing to stab it. Realizing she was late she hurried to join them behind the farmhouse. "Hello mom, dad. You might want to know this, another noble has come to the town and this one has brought a bunch of soldiers. I might not be able to help you too much over the next days if i have to work to keep the peace in the village with them around. I hope they leave by the time i am going to Greyfalls though, will be easier to deal with for all of us. "

28. - Top - End - #28

Terra
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can write for your family if you like, unless you want me to.

As Kyushin walks steadily towards the forest clearing, he notices a young village boy watching him carefully, leaning against a fence with a bucket of potatoes next to him and a peeler in his hand.

29. - Top - End - #29

BardGuy

"Hey, kid," Kyushin calls to the young boy, "do your parents have any spare work clothes lying about? This ought to cover it." He reaches into a belt pouch and tosses the boy a bit of jade coinage. I can't move in this get-up. "While you're at it, is there a place around here where I can get some practice without being disturbed?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaliel dismounts. "Give Sirocco a good grooming. He deserves it after this trip." The prince only waits long enough for the man to stand back up and take the reins before heading for the indicated house. The small yelp of pain from behind him quickly informs Kaliel that the servant has just found out the hard way that the horse doesn't take kindly to strangers. Maybe I should have told him Sirocco bites.