New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Epic Destinies Campaign.

"Be on your guard," Kaelis says. "Of course, you knew that already, but it needs saying. We need to react to whatever's on the other side of that door in a split second- fight or flight is the first leson of any commander."

That said, he once more draws his golden sceptre and holds it in a kind of salute, before moving it down to his waist with a quick flourish, ending with his right arm bent back away from the door and his shield held before him- ready for a classic gesture of "Charge!", no doubt.

Spoiler
    Show
    Back to Motivate Dexterity for +12 to Initiative and the +5 AC aura.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a feeling that this was going to happen ... it's just that feeling that you get when you know that there is some sort of unpleasant extraplanar thing just waiting to have it in for you - it's a feeling of exasperation that the world has to be this way. Still, we must persevere ...

With four deft strokes of a forefinger, Azariah describes a long, bullet-shaped frame of glowing light, and, with the same movement, 'loads' it into her wrist, with a grimace and a sharp exhalation of pain.

Stepping back up into the air, she climbs up two dozen feet, wedging herself among the eaves of the underside of the stairs above, peeking round them, watching the door.

Ready when you are, Kaelis.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, that's an extended metamagic item infusion, cast on the orb of cold wand, to give it twin spell. Current time remaining 42/42 rounds.

Other salient details:

HP: 182 / 183.
    AC: 37 / 17 (touch) / 32 (flatfooted).
    Mind Blank up.
    Immune to death effects & negative energy (soulfire armour).
    Energy immunity : fire.
    Energy resistance (in case the above is dispelled) : fire : 30 / turn.
    Seeing invisibility (from armour).
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2008-05-17 at 12:26 PM. Reason: IR CANN KNOTT SPEL

3. - Top - End - #93

Anya casts Divine Favor on herself, and readies for battle, drawing her mace and holding it with two hands, her shield floating beside her and ready to deflect blows. She steps up to the front of the line. "Don't hesitate to run behind me if necessary. It's what I'm here for. Also, try to stay clustered in groups at least within 30 ft of each other if possible, otherwise my healing spells won't be able to target more than one of you at a time."

Spoiler
    Show
    Combat Stuff
    HP: 293/293
    AC: 41, 18 Touch, 38 flatfooted
    Basic Attack: +5 Holy Vicious Ghost Touch Heavy Mace +34 melee (1d8+16+2d6+2d6, deals 1d6 damage to me every attack)
    Relevant Feats: Mobility (+4 AC), Dodge (+1 AC), Stone Power (subtract a number from my attack roll, gain twice that many temporary HPs), Elusive Target (a number of things, but most importantly – somebody I select with my Dodge feat, gains no extra damage from the Power Attack feat against me, but takes all the relevant penalties, also, they don't KNOW that it doesn't work unless they do it at least once).

Relevant Features:
    Aura of Perfect Order: Stance, I can, before rolling a d20, choose not to roll it and take 11 instead.
    Zealous Surge: The first 5 damage taken every round is delayed until the end of the next round
    Furious Counterstrike: If Anya has delayed 5 damage this round, she gets a +1 bonus to attack and damage.

Active Spells
    Divine Favor: +3 luck attack/damage rolls (21 rounds duration, so two minutes and six seconds duration)
    Mind Blank
    Energy Immunity (Fire)
    Energy Resistance 30 (fire)
    Death Ward (Active at all times unless dispelled since I always prepare it and cast it on myself in the morning)
    Endure Elements (See Death Ward)
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-05-17 at 01:08 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Halfling in the Playground

" General you hear spell chanting behind the door." "You also sense demons."

5. - Top - End - #95

"Agnimia Puts her hand on the door handle." "My pets will charge in first." "On your command General."

6. - Top - End - #96

"Onward!" the Gerneral shouts, sweeping his sceptre forward to point at the door. "To battle!"

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume we all need initiative checks: (1d20+19)[36]
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

7. - Top - End - #97

Tethys is no stranger to summoned creatures, and so the tigers draw little of her attention.

At the sign of battle preperations, she slips Carth from his sheathes and slips into a combat stance.

"I'll do my best to stay within that area, thanks for the heads up." She steps to the side, off the straight line of fire. "I'm currently set up such that it would be advantageous for another melee combatant to be near me."

Spoiler
    Show
    Relevant info:
    AC: 38 / 30 (touch), without the +5 aura. Can't be flatfooted thanks to the Canny Legacy Weapon ability

Weapons: +4 Keen Rapiers of Speed
    HP: 176

Notable Feats: Dodge (+1 AC against a single foe), Adaptive Style (reselect and reready manuevers with a full round action)

Stance is Island of Blades: All foes I and another ally are adjacent to are flanked.

Initiative is Initiative: (1d20+19)[20], without any modification other than what's on my sheet. 32 with bonus from the other.

GAH. Roller's giving me issues. Rolled in the OoC thread.
    Last edited by Esser-Z; 2008-05-17 at 03:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98

"Right!" Anya says.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+21)[28]

9. - Top - End - #99

"Agnimia clangs her swords togetrher and they begin to glow." "She lets go of one of her swords and it floats in the air." "She opens the door and quickly moves out of the way." Grabbing her sword in one fluent movement." "Her pets charge in at an unbelievable,speed for their size." "They roar and leap into the air." "They attack in unison,taking down one of the huge demons." "Agnimia follows them in,her swords begin humming." "The tigers having distracted the 28 foot tall oversized looking ogre like demons." "Agnimia says quickly attack while we have the advantage." "The tiger's begin gouging at the downed demon." "Agnimia brings her swords down,hacking away at the downed demon." "Seven more of the Ghour Demons,stare in shock at their fallen comrade."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'll presume that my clarvoyance didn't work. That being so Drelignor dropes his concentration on that spell and draws his bow. His staff is now in his Haversack. The ring on his right finger glows and the magus becomes invisible.

Spoiler
    Show
    initiave is (1d20+7)[24]
    AC 30, touch 22, Flat 23

Weapons +4 ghost touch short composite bow mighty +3, +5 staff (one end only affected by greater magic weapon)

He's under the effect of Protection from arrows, deeper dark vision, Detect Scrying, Overland Flight, Arcane Sight, Comprehend Languages, See Invisibility, Mind Blank, Moment of Prescience (+25)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

With a calculating eye, Azariah sizes them up.

Demons. Not an entirely unexpected group to encounter; remember that they shrug off electricity as if it were water.

- a rapid moment spend sighting down an arm, picking out the head of the strongest one (it would feel less pain that way) -

I apologise for this, dear ghours, but I know that you shall return. May you be free of this life of suffering, and, in your ending, may that suffering be in some small way ended.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rollin' for initiative (Kaelis' bonus included): (1d20+17)[29]

And, when it us Azariah's turn in initiative order to act ...

Meteor-like in its bright, shimmering path, a sphere of perfect geometrical non-entropy arcs from Azariah's outstretched finger towards the ogre-like figure.

Spoiler
    Show
    First Orb of Cold -
    Attack roll:(1d20+20)[39] vs. touch AC.
    If hits, damage roll:(15d8)[58] cold damage. Chillin'.

Orb of Cold (from the twinned spell) -
    Attack roll:(1d20+20)[40] vs. touch AC.
    If hits, damage roll:(15d8)[77] cold damage.

It also requires two DC 16 saves, or the target is blinded for a turn.

Metamagic item: 41/42 turn duration.

Artificers. Can be a little bit clunky when it comes to tactical combat, but dealing large amounts of damage to individuals? Yeah, they're OK .

12. - Top - End - #102

Init (1d20+15)[29]

Sreth

Sreth directs the steed through the door and swiftly above the demons. He casts swiftly one spell and then another. Pillars of Fire flash throught the demons ranks.

Spoiler
    Show

AC:46 (AC 51 and DR 10/- for ranged attacks)
    HP: 234
    Active Effects:
    -Mind Blank
    -Phantom Steed
    -Magic Vestment on Shield
    -Unseen Servant (1st level)
    - Energy Immunity- Fire
    - Energy Resistance : Fire 30
    -120 ft Darkvision, Blindsense 30ft
    - Protection from Arrows (CL9) from cloak Duration 9 hours/90hp
    - Magic Circle vs. Chaos

Casting Quickened Sudden maximised sculpted (via rod) Flame Strike (using 8th level slot - 1 use of metamagic school focus) 93 points of damage (1/2 is fire the other holy - unresitable) Ref DC 29 for half. Shaped into 4 10 ft cubes spread to affect as many as I can.

Then casting an Empowered Maximised Sculpted (via rod) Flame Strike (10th level slot) for 93 + 1/2 of (15d6)[49] (1/2 is fire the other holy - unresitable) Ref DC 31 for half. Shaped into 4 10 ft cubes spread to affect as many as I can.

The steed fly at 240ft and I have a range of 330ft, but want to stay with in 50 ft of the group.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

13. - Top - End - #103

Spoiler: fire resistance 20,roll for damage.

14. - Top - End - #104

Well since it's Holy fire and the demon failed it's save it takes full damage.

15. - Top - End - #105

Initiative count 32:
    Assuming Tethys is 50 or less feet from one of them, she uses a swift action to activate the Shadow Blink maneuver to teleport up to 50ft and appear next to a demon. Then, she initiates a series of fast blows (Using the Time Stands Still
    manuever). If this demon falls and she's adjacent to another, she'll use the remaining attacks on that. Rinse and repeat until she's out of adjacent foes or attacks

That's two full attacks. Rolls alternate between primary and off hands:

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+26)[38]
    (1d20+26)[36]
    (1d20+26)[41]
    (1d20+26)[44]
    (1d20+21)[26]
    (1d20+21)[30]
    (1d20+16)[29]
    (1d20+16)[29]
    (1d20+26)[40]
    (1d20+26)[29]
    (1d20+26)[35]
    (1d20+26)[46]
    (1d20+21)[33]
    (1d20+21)[37]
    (1d20+16)[28]
    (1d20+16)[26]

16. - Top - End - #106

Anya leaps forward, disappearing into inky darkness and reappearing 50 ft closer to a demon; if more distance is necessary, she moves 30 ft towards the nearest demon. She raises her mace and delivers a blow, channeling power away from her attack to bolster herself.

Spoiler
    Show
    This happens when it's Anya's turn, since no bonafide initiative order has been declared yet...

Swift Action: Shadow Blink maneuver, taking me 50 ft closer a monster. If needed I can move 30 more feet closer to a monster; otherwise I can just attack.

Standard Action: Attack using Crushing Vise, which deals +4d6 damage, and if it hits, the creature's movements become 0 ft, so it can't leave it's square with normal movement. She takes a -5 penalty to her attack roll with her Stone Power feat, to gain +10 temporary HP. She'll use aura of perfect order, thereby instantly rolling 11. With the -5 penalty, the result is instantly 40 on her attack roll. She is holding her mace in two hands, so she gets +4 more damage in from having half her strength modifier in again. Also, for this round, she'd have 45 AC base, +1 from assigning Dodge to the demon she is fighting right now (which she does), and I believe +5 from the general?

Damage:

(1d8+20)[28] <----- Base damage
    (8d6)[25] <--- Crushing Vise, Vicious, Holy (assuming they're evil)
    (1d6)[2] <---- Damage Vicious deals to me

17. - Top - End - #107

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm really sorry, guys, but TTW has gone insane and I can't find my sheet. Assume I'm just going to delay unless I find it- the auras are the most important thing.

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by esrz22 View Post
    Initiative count 32:
    Assuming Tethys is 50 or less feet from one of them, she uses a swift action to activate the Shadow Blink maneuver to teleport up to 50ft and appear next to a demon. Then, she initiates a series of fast blows (Using the Time Stands Still
    manuever). If this demon falls and she's adjacent to another, she'll use the remaining attacks on that. Rinse and repeat until she's out of adjacent foes or attacks

That's two full attacks. Rolls alternate between primary and off hands:

Spoiler
    Show

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    [roll6]
    [roll7]
    [roll8]
    [roll9]
    [roll10]
    [roll11]
    [roll12]
    [roll13]
    [roll14]
    [roll15]
    You finish off the one that you wounded.

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by Meek View Post
    Anya leaps forward, disappearing into inky darkness and reappearing 50 ft closer to a demon; if more distance is necessary, she moves 30 ft towards the nearest demon. She raises her mace and delivers a blow, channeling power away from her attack to bolster herself.

Spoiler
    Show
    This happens when it's Anya's turn, since no bonafide initiative order has been declared yet...

Swift Action: Shadow Blink maneuver, taking me 50 ft closer a monster. If needed I can move 30 more feet closer to a monster; otherwise I can just attack.

Standard Action: Attack using Crushing Vise, which deals +4d6 damage, and if it hits, the creature's movements become 0 ft, so it can't leave it's square with normal movement. She takes a -5 penalty to her attack roll with her Stone Power feat, to gain +10 temporary HP. She'll use aura of perfect order, thereby instantly rolling 11. With the -5 penalty, the result is instantly 40 on her attack roll. She is holding her mace in two hands, so she gets +4 more damage in from having half her strength modifier in again. Also, for this round, she'd have 45 AC base, +1 from assigning Dodge to the demon she is fighting right now (which she does), and I believe +5 from the general?

Damage:

[roll0] <----- Base damage
    [roll1] <--- Crushing Vise, Vicious, Holy (assuming they're evil)
    [roll2] <---- Damage Vicious deals to me
    You and the general get the last two demons.
    It is evil so roll for damage.

20. - Top - End - #110

DrowGuy

I'm not sure about the initiave order, but Drelignor Casts slow on the remaining Ghuls. This spell has a 27 will save and would last 27 rounds for any that are affected. edit: the number of creatures I can affect is only 26
    Last edited by elonin; 2008-05-18 at 07:26 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by Meek View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Damage:

[roll0] <----- Base damage
    [roll1] <--- Crushing Vise, Vicious, Holy (assuming they're evil)
    [roll2] <---- Damage Vicious deals to me
    You all got initiative catching the demons off guard. My two tigers distracted them for you guys. Most of them were decimated by that powerful spell. Even their SR didn't save them. The demons are completely overwhelmed.

22. - Top - End - #112

Spoiler
    Show
    I already rolled Holy with that damage, So the demon I hit took 28 + 25, which means it took 53 damage. I took 2, but with my temporary HP, that means nothing. Still at 293, +8 Temporary HP.

23. - Top - End - #113

DrowGuy

Since the fight appears to be over, Drelignor will look up and down to make sure we haven't Attracted any attention then hover back into the cover of the stairs.

24. - Top - End - #114

Tethys takes a moment to reprepare her manuevers*, then slips Carth into his sheathes.

"Well, that wasn't too hard. Probably not all that's around, though."

*Adaptive style. I assume I have time for the full round action.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Azariah slowly descends from the ceiling, looking warily about.

Well, they all seem to be gone ...
    but you are right, Tethys. With all due respect to them, I would not credit Ghour demons as having the highest intellectual capacity; they are sharp reasoners, yes, but they are not leaders. If my memory serves me well, they serve the demon prince Baphomet, who predominantly operates in Abeir-Toril. Of course, said Prime is adjacent to the Stairs, but I suspect that these particular Ghours were here under the aegis of another master.

All the while, she has been standing above one of the ghours, ferverishly rifling through its worldly goods, looking for some indication of scraps of paper, orders, directions, signet rings, anything that could give an indication of who was leading these demons. The anxious manner of this search is explained by the fact that the corpses are already beginning to melt into the planar fabric.

You see, they are normally accompanied by some form of beast, or ogre - they lead them in battle - and so the presence of eight of these things is distinctly worrying. Aha, is this something ...

Spoiler
    Show
    Search check to see if there is any identifying evidence, as described above, on the Ghours' persons; if not, precious lewtz are fine too (if they have loot - and Ghours are notorious for taking the stuff - that might help us identify their origins, and what happened to the Lillendi, as well): (1d20+24)[35]

[roll

26. - Top - End - #116

Sreth

Sreth descends until he is about 10 feet above the party. Well Holy fire works fine here. That's enough to keep me happy. We need to be more careful about running about willy nilly though, I can only shape one more spell like that today. I'll try to keep the explosions to a minimum from here on out. I have a thing for demons and tend to go a little over board sometimes. HE pauses for a moment before continuing But the best defense is blowing them up before they can react, as they taught us back in the Citadel. Anyone hurt?

27. - Top - End - #117

"I'm fine," Anya replies to Sreth, "But worried. Azariah is right. The presence of eight of these beings at once is very unsettling. Whoever commands them has a great deal of resources to commit to trying to kill us. I doubt it is any sort of demon prince. We're not even a chink in the armor of such beings, they've no use for our elimination. But it is distinctly possible that it could be a non-demon in the favor of a greater force."
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-05-19 at 05:33 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Azariah, elbow deep in Ghour viscera, nods slowly as Anya speaks.

Trying to win, favour, possibly. Morkai's patrons have mentioned that he might run into trouble, and they themselves aren't exactly known for their cordial relations with the Nine Hells and the Infinite Layers - running diplomatic missions between the two is a (in some ways literal) nightmare ...

Her eyes glaze over slightly.

As such, we are a possible, potential threat, that has yet to come, and so still an annoyance. Perhaps a minor demonic power seeks to prove his or her worth by killing us?

29. - Top - End - #119

Sreth

Sreth directs his Unseen Servant to take all of the gear off the demons and lay it on the ground next to them. Once that is done and everyone has picked through it he says.

We should not dally here. Let us move on swiftly.

30. - Top - End - #120

Kaelis nods. "Yes- these could have been a distraction. I must say I was surprised how quickly we defeated them, but whoever sent them may not have been so conservative in their estimates of our abilities. We must be on our guard against a possible trap."

Spoiler
    Show
    Motivate Wisdom (+12) and the all-saves +5 aura now active.