New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Adventuring 101: Part 1 - Around The World In...We'll Decide Later.

Panitari smiles "Works for me". She follows Karin, hopping up easily.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on jump. Duh. >_>

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

In the meantime the party is analysing the steps, Fhil carefully opens his packpack on the ground. He plunges his hand in it to come out with an unusual torch; its head has no twisted flax or any flammable substance. Fhil opens a side pocket and reaches for his flint and steel. In only one brusk attempt, the torch is lit. The elf leaves it on the ground and lifts with vigor his backpack and threads it back on place. He picks his torch in his left hand and moves a couple of quick steps to make his way across the party members in order to take back the lead over everyone. His action implies him to delicately push off any companions in his way, but nothing harsh.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 on jump check.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Eager to reach the treats, are we?" Richard rolls his eyes as Fhil rudely shoves his way to the front, but follows more-or-less merrily.
    It ain't braggin' if you can back it up.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

You climb steadily up to the largest outcropping at the entrance to the mine. It is a massive, jagged wound on the mountain, four squares wide and six tall, patched and held festering by thick wooden beams against its walls, steel against its ceiling. You can see some six squares into it, along with a square here or there thanks to a few torches set up along the walls. Otherwise it is dark, and cold air seems to blast out of it. There is a scent of iron coming from it, quite faint but still palpable. You see not a single goblin, nor even any tracks on the dusty floor.

"Ominous," Karin says, "I shall have to write really grim expository text for this! Something like...'a jagged wound on the mountain held festering by thick wooden beams'."

Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder if anyone'll pick up on what I'm hinting at here. And no, it's not JUST a joke about hearing this narration (which you don't, by the by)
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-06-14 at 01:13 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215

"I don't have much avdenturing experience," MLE says, "but jagged, festering wounds are fairly common, aren't they? Probably we'll et in and find the miners have all been murderered by malfunctioning mining golems, and it looks like the maintenance goblin did it but then we find him dead, too..."

He looks puzzled, and adds, "Not sure where all the specifics came from there..."
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fhil suddenly stops and turns around to answer Linkely:

It depends of which treats you are talking about. If there are any goods, I will leave it to you. And no, I am not talking about good treats in this case. Conventional goods treated as treats. You will understand when the time comes...

Turning back in direction of the deep confines of the mine, Fhil mumbles to himself: ...I should not be that good to them...
    He goes farther within the mine.
    Last edited by Flame_Excess; 2008-06-14 at 05:07 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

Richard shakes his head as Fhil kindly explains himself, "Take the left turn Fhil, we'll be right behind you!" Turning to MLE he adds, "I've always liked turning right, how about you? Unless--you weren't trying to hint at something about metallic creatures killing weak fleshy creatures, were you?"

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am not interested in your colors.

9. - Top - End - #219

AssassinGuy

Panitari follows, next to Karin

10. - Top - End - #220

"Oh, no, sorry, I wasn't hinting anything." Grinning, he continues, "Anyway, I'm sort of alive- Living Construct type, remember?"
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

Richard chuckles as he responds,"Well MLE, I wasn't concerned about you being a Living Construct. I was concerned about you being a Murderous Construct." Slapping MLE on the shoulder, Richard continues, "Still, you seem like a swell guy to me so I'll trust you. Tell me, does your Warlock Vision (tm) show us anything in these tunnels?"

12. - Top - End - #222

Everyone ventures forth into the dark, cavernous maw of...well, the cavern. The mine shaft is long and dark, and Fhil plunges on ahead, with everyone following. After a time you can barely see in front of you, when suddenly, you hear a scream. "Oh my!" Karin says. As you forge on, you stop suddenly – Karin's wheelchair seems to be flying over nothing.

There is a sign next to her, which she illuminates with a spell.

The World's First Bottomless Pit
    Brought to you by the Kriek Geographical Society

One of Fhil's shoes is caught in a rock just in front of the pit.

And there is a lever on the other side.

"Hmm, guess he was so enthusiastic he didn't pull the lever to extend the bridge. We'll have to ask the Kriek Geographic Society if they can retrieve people from there. Sometime."

Spoiler
    Show
    Reactions, while I create a map for my next event

13. - Top - End - #223

AssassinGuy

Panitari drops to her hands and knees, and carefully moves forward to look down the pit "He really screwed up this time, didn't he?' She then looks up, and across the pit, at the lever. "Wait.....why the hell is the lever on the far side?"
    Last edited by Helepolis; 2008-06-17 at 06:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224

"Oh, I don't know. I don't understand the Kriek Geographic Society. I was kicked out of it. They all are very qualified, don't get me wrong. They kept showing me their badges. So they must be."

"But they seem to work in strange ways. Once I asked them whether it was really prudent to try to make an artificial floating island using magical propellers that would be equipped to deliver shade to specific tourist locations in Kriek. They said I was a damned theocrat, who feared change."

"But I suspect they have their reasons."

She hovers over to the other side, and pulls the lever. The side wall of the pit collapses over it, covering the hole completely. A bucket appears to be affixed to the stone. There is also text on the floor:

Contribute to the Kriek Geographical Society!

Karin drops a gold coin in the bucket.

15. - Top - End - #225

AssassinGuy

Panitari shakes her head "They get no money from me till they stop being such fabulous retards".

She crosses, following Karin

16. - Top - End - #226

MLE also wanders across, his Warlock Vision (tm) looking out (after a reminder) for any evidence.

He also doesn't put a coin in the bucket, but waits on the other side and glances around and listens out for any timpani that might be sounding below them.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

Richard looks at where the hole in the ground was and feels slightly guilty that he may have led to the rangers death. Or, at least, eternal fall. But, really, what kind of last words were, "I am not interested in your colours." Shaking his head, he walks across and leaves three gold coins in the cup. Better safe than sorry, a coin for each adventurer seems only fair. Poetic, even.

18. - Top - End - #228

As you cross, you begin to hear voices coming towards you.

"I thought I heard a really girly scream coming from here." Says the first voice, rather gruff.

"I thought we'd already caught all the goblins and locked them up, you think we might have missed any?" A second, very deep voice says.

"Man, if we missed a goblin, the prince will flip. Well, he'd find a reason to flip anyway, but this time his anger would be justified and it would be scary."

"I'm of the opinion that, whatever we find, we should just eradicate mercilessly."

"I agree. Being Usually Neutral Evil is very convenient isn't it?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh my! Looks like an encounter! Hello everyone, this is Karin Apuleius, taking over the present-tense narration personally for just a little moment! Like in those video games where the combat system is inexplicably explained to you in game terms! Isn't that fun? It's also difficult to explain and destroys suspension of disbelief...oh my...

I hope those enemies can't hear me...

Anyway, let's get started!

There we go! That's your map for this encounter! I shall explain the map. Each square in the map is...well, a square! Isn't that lovely? Brown tiles are the cavern walls. You can't walk through those! White tiles are normal terrain, but watch out for grey tiles! Grey Tiles are Difficult Terrain! They take two squares to move through, and while standing on them, enemies gain bonuses to hitting you!

Now for reading the map, see the dots? They represent people! So I'm the little cute purple dot at C3. The enemies are the teal dots at Q2 and R3. In the darkness of the cavern though, you can only see 6 squares ahead of yourself, so you can't see the enemies yet, although you can hear them! ...Which is awkward given I just told you where they are...

One last thing: In Paradiso, all non-spell ranged attacks that use an attack roll add Dexterity modifier to damage. Arcane ranged spells that use an attack roll add Intelligence. Eldritch Blasts also have a special rule like that, adding Charisma modifier to damage! Anyway, this has been–

Dromeda Legionnaire: Hey! What the hell? You're explaining house rules in the middle of combat? What kind of shoddy–

Karin: It's not my fault. And how are you talking to me? Oh wait, this is Karin's Houserule Corner! Magical things happen here...

Dromeda Legionnaire: What? Oh for god's sakes, the players are totally not buying this crap...

Karin: This has been a super happy fun edition of Karin's Houserule Corner! Until next time pertinent, and/or made-up on the spot houserules apply, see you!

Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't help myself. You'll see more of those...anyway, reactions and initiative, and pick spots in rows A, B, or C. Normally I would just roll initiative, but I want reactions, so yeah. Might as well let ya have a go at that. Who knows I might never actually roll initiative for you. Maybe. Anyway Karin's Houserule Corners aren't seen by the actual PCs, since they're stuff characters in the world are supposed to know. Hope that was fun!
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-06-18 at 06:49 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229

MLE takes up a position just behind Karin, quickly muttering a short incantation and making a few gestures to fill himself with all the silver-tongued persuasiveness of a built, bred, trained and devil-powered professional mechanic.

That done, he watches to see what will emerge from the darkness...

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative roll: (1d20+3)[19]
    Also, that was a Beguiling Influence invocation, because I forgot to say I was using it immediately in the morning...

20. - Top - End - #230

AssassinGuy

Panitari stands ready for the monsters, next to Karin, waiting to see what sort of shenanigans take place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standing in C2. 21 Init. Hopefully GITP accepts my post this time, since I made an identical one last night. <_<

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

Richard gets a bit nervous upon hearing voices. Fighting in reality is something he had rather limited experience in. He was an expert fighter, in theory, but theory was a lot more fun since there was no risk of getting bloody or gashed or whatever. Fumbling through his pack, the poet bravely brandishes a wondrous wand of colour spray. "They're not too dangerous, are they? I mean, killing goblins isn't something that this Prince character would send elite troops to handle, right?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll take B4 if you don't mind. Initiative (d20+3)[12]

22. - Top - End - #232

"Hmm? I thought I heard something."

"All crap in your head. I'll go on up ahead, you're too spaced out."

You hear footsteps coming closer as combat begins, but see nobody around still.

Spoiler
    Show
    Map Update:

Morkais didn't select a specific spot, so I just picked one for him that I thought would be best tactically. Also, excuse the slight color changes. Photobucket has such a gigantic color palette that I keep forgetting the exact shades I am using. The enemies in this encounter will be that little blueish sort of color, and everyone else is colored by (the closest I could get to) their chosen dialogue color.

While I appreciate order, I also know that not everyone has a whole day to be waiting for someone else to post. So if you post your actions out of order, I can sort them out myself later to the best tactical result. So if it comes between having to wait a day to make your post, and posting for the day, just post.

And remember that you can only see six squares ahead right now, but you do know that enemies are ahead, and the corridor isn't very wide.

Anyway: the first enemy moved, with an initiative of 23. So now it's Panitari's turn, then MLE directly after.

23. - Top - End - #233

AssassinGuy

Panitari stands where she is, and readies a small blob of ectoplasm in her hands, to fire at the first enemy she sees.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readying Entangling Ectoplasm Power on first enemy to pop up. 17 on ranged touch attack.. Hit creature is entangled.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Entangled

The character is ensnared. Being entangled impedes movement, but does not entirely prevent it unless the bonds are anchored to an immobile object or tethered by an opposing force. An entangled creature moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls and a -4 penalty to Dexterity. An entangled character who attempts to cast a spell must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + the spell’s level) or lose the spell.

24. - Top - End - #234

MLE stays where he is, shouts, "Who are you?" out into the distance- they already known the valiant adventurers are here, of course, but neither group has any idea who the other is- and conjures a ball of eldritch fire around his right hand. In the flickering blue flames there is a hint of a reflection, the merest image of a slip of paper covered in orderly rows of writing...

Spoiler
    Show
    Talk as free action, ready action to fire a Frightful Blast-enhanced eldritch blast if the enemies become visible and are hostile.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

Richard gulps as MLE calls out to the potential threat. Sweaty palm gripping his wand, he strains forward peering towards the potential threat. Muttering to himself he inscribes a pentagon upon the air and--through strength of will--forces the gathered power to enshroud him, protecting him from any sort of dangerous or unpleasant attacks.

"The seas were left behind;
    in a harbour of Logres
    lightly I came to land
    under a roaring wind
    Strained were the golden sails,
    the masts of the galley creaked
    as it rode for the Golden Horn
    and I for the hills of Wales "

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Mage Armor on Self

26. - Top - End - #236

"What the?"

"See, I did hear something!"

You hear the ringing of spears against the ground. "We are Legionnaires for the Extraplanar Dromeda Empire! This mine is under our control for the moment! Surrender immediately, or face...something!"

Karin stands put, arms crossed. She looks slightly pouty as though someone had said something very rude to her.

You hear more feet coming towards you. In a moment you see a man step out of the shadows...or at least you think it's a man. The person in question is actually extremely effeminate, with a girlish, feminine, rather beautiful face, short zig-zagging antennae the shape of very thin black coral. His (?) hair is a pinkish brown if such a thing is even possible, short and cut in a pageboy style. He (?) is clad in bulky plate armor but it does not seem to hinder him much at all, and he carries a spear.

All of his gear is branded with an odd mark – a smiling yellow face with antennae, large eyes and a wide, happily smiling mouth.

"Hah! I see you now intruders...and your cunningly readied energy blasts."

The Dromeda Legionnaire gulps as your readied actions go off on him. The entangling ectoplasm glues him to the ground, and he struggles in the face of the eldritch blast now flying toward him...

Spoiler
    Show

In the future, do the rolls for readied attacks in advance if possible. MLE, roll for your blast. Remember that I allow using invisible castle too, if you (like myself) feel the GITP roller has hurt you once too many. >_>

So as we have seen, the order is:

Dromeda L1
    Panitari
    MLE
    Dromeda L2
    Richard
    Karin

And yes, the Dromeda symbol IS the "MsPaint Awesome Face" except with antennae.
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-06-23 at 07:19 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry...

(1d20+6)[11] to hit
    (2d6+3)[8] damage

28. - Top - End - #238

Your eldritch blast misses the Legionnaire, but not by much. He gulps.

Spoiler
    Show
    Panitari, then MLE

29. - Top - End - #239

AssassinGuy

Panitari raises her hand, and concentrates, till fire swirls around it. She then levels her hand at the I3 Dromeda, and fires a ray of...fire. "Take this, you....strange...bug...thing..."
    Spoiler
    Show
    2 pp on an Energy Ray: Fire. 14 to hit on the ranged touch, 11 damage.

She then steps back behind Karin, and back once more [a3]

30. - Top - End - #240

MLE throws another blast of energy, the same as the last, flying across to hit the closest of the foe.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[25]
    (2d6+3)[11]

EDIT: I assume 25 on ranged touch is a hit?

The blast flies straight and true, releasing into the target the concentrated essence of the terrible feeling felt by every sentient entity on being handed a bill by the mechanic...
    Last edited by MorkaisChosen; 2008-06-26 at 04:25 AM.