New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Idol Hands, Part II: On Behalf of Mercane-tile Forces

The siege of Pech has been broken at last: the statue of Chareshwara has been sunk deep below the city, Siddhartha’s soul bound in as its guardian to once again keep it sealed from demonic influence. With this backlash, the demons have lost their source of power, breaking the stream which they previously used to sustain themselves. This break will lead to fewer demons on the plane, and those who remain will grow progressively more desperate as they try to hang on to the power they have gained.

Of course, this does not end the party’s involvement – even with two of their number deceased. Karras, the mercane merchant, has purchased their service by lending his war trolls to the effort, and demands their service be repaid by recovering the stolen relics of the Vendiagam College.

Unlocked from the vaults by Ahriman’s deluded sense of power, they have been taken by the surviving heads of the magical schools. Each of these relics is possessed of tremendously dangerous power, items that couldn't be destroyed or used without serious risk to most rational wizards. Of course, being in the eye of Demogorgon's energy has driven most rationale from the minds of the school's deans.

Six of the surviving heads have taken the items and scattered. Some of them have remained in Pech, attempting to rally the demons; while others took advantage of the magical rifts and hopped across the planes to make their way to exotic locales. The party will be taxed to its limits, scouring through the remnants of Pech and trading favors with those who should you should never owe favors to. But after delving through the demonic equivalent of termites in the woodwork, how much more dangerous can it get?
    Last edited by LesIsMore909; 2008-06-19 at 05:41 PM.
    "Do I really look like a man with a plan? I just *do* things. I'm a wrench in the gears. I *hate* plans. Schemers trying to control their worlds. I am not a schemer. I show schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are. … I just did what I do best – I took your plan and turned it on itself. … Introduce a little anarchy, you upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I am an agent of chaos. And you know the thing about chaos? It's fair." - The Joker

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Exposition

Okay boys, in the interest of us getting some action going I’ve decided to just jump into the storyline. Without further adieu, let me present Idol Hands II: Filling the Mercane’s Museum.

You slowly slide back into consciousness, emerging from a series of vague dreams that you cannot exactly pinpoint the nature of. An odd mix of events from the past two months is dancing through your head like a carnival of chaos, complete with a lisping ringmaster and a fiendish menagerie.

Your heads are blurred slightly as though from a hangover, and you are unable to focus too clearly for a few minutes. After breathing slowly and laying back down, you feel steadier and the pain in your limbs subsides.

And just as suddenly, the images of the past twenty-four hours come crashing back down on you: the black and unforgiving demonic storms over the northern part of the city, walls crawling with tendrils and faces, demonic snipers on the roofs and apes loping through the streets, bebiliths scaling buildings and loathsome spawn in the corridors. All of it culminating in a lecture hall that was shattered as if with a lightning storm, the wizard on the dais lecturing you on your upcoming death and blasting demonic forces at you, and the denouement of your fallen comrade’s weapon unleashing its anti-planar forces into the idol and dragging it far down below the city.

You are in a fairly basic room, about the size of a double in a local inn yet furnished quite well. Gold furnishings and expensive rugs call your eyes, and the beds you are in would not be out of place in a castle. You can see your equipment is arranged on the other side of the room, carefully collected – armor on mannequins, jewelry in an oaken box and your weapons polished and leaning against the wall. Looking down, your own condition appears to have been tended too as well – bandages and the slightly sticky residue of healing salves cover your limbs, and the sweet orangey taste of healing potions fills your mouth.

You can see your compatriot in the bed next to you, but the figure on the extreme right of the room is unfamiliar. Emaciated and pale with long freshly-washed black hair, he reminds you at first glance of some of the religious zealots you saw early in the city. Letting out a low moan, the figure stirs on the bed.
    "Do I really look like a man with a plan? I just *do* things. I'm a wrench in the gears. I *hate* plans. Schemers trying to control their worlds. I am not a schemer. I show schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are. … I just did what I do best – I took your plan and turned it on itself. … Introduce a little anarchy, you upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I am an agent of chaos. And you know the thing about chaos? It's fair." - The Joker

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Idol Hands, Part II:

Baqi Illwyn

The figure in the bed far to the right stirs, turning over in the bed to face the wall, turning his back toward the rest of the room. He inhales sharply before letting out a groan, but as far as you can tell, he remains in a restless sleep, tossing and turning and mumbling indistinctly on occasion.

At first glance, he's emaciated and pale. His cheeks are hollow and there are deep bags under his eyes, which are sunk deep into his head and screwed tightly shut. His black hair is unkempt.

The clothes he wears are strange. They appear to be the tattered remains of a set of long gray robes that slowly fade to deep purple at the edges, but if you look closer it becomes difficult to see the edge of the fabric. It seems to fade off into nothingness instead of ending abruptly. You can occasionally see a silver chain around his neck, a bracelet of multi-colored thread around his left wrist, and thick straps or bandages covering his right wrist and most of his right hand.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Woohoo! We're starting! I'm so excited!

Ahem... *calms down*

I'm here and ready to play. Baqi's not quite awake yet, though.
    --- Baqi Illwyn ---

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Re: Idol Hands, Part II:

Jackob Owens

Awaking from a very sound but restless sleep, the sights and sounds of the last encounter are still vivid in his mind. Reaching back to what happened, the sights and sounds are vivid, but what actually transpired in that lecture hall with the demonic hold those figures held on this realm, is far from Jackob's memory.
    "Sid, what the hell happened back there?"

Jackob turns to the other beds in this room, he spots only one of his compatriots in the beds that he recognizes, and the other has a strange feeling emanating from him that disturbs Jackobs core. Turning around he notices Siddhartha is not among the three in this room, and then it all comes rushing back...

Screaming pain inside his head, the rush of emotions, the sight of Sid falling into that chasm and his soul being consumed to save many more. Jackob remembers fondly of the first time he met Sid, he didn't even understand the monetary system around here, and he had more bravery to sacrifice himself for the greater good and something he believed in. A small smirk flashes across Jackob face, and then the immense pain rushes across him again from even that small movement. Falling back to the bed, Jackob clutches his holy symbol and prays deeply for all the pain he and his compatriots are feeling right now, and for the strength to overcome what dreadful challenges await.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    And now the fun begins...
    --- Jackob Owens ---

"You and your recklessness... Your squishy, squishy recklessness..."
    --Edward Watter about this very character before we went play-by-post

Just keeping the memories alive!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Baqi Illwyn

With another loud groan, the figure in the far bed turns over to face the room and cracks open his eyes. After a moment of stillness as his eyes adjust to the light and he takes in his surroundings, his eyes fly open and he lets out a string of loud whimpering babble. His head swivels around madly looking to all corners of the room, and he sits up and crawls backwards off the end of his bed, falling over and rolling into the corner where he crouches, still talking to himself rapidly, his attention divided between darting around the room and staring at a spot above his right shoulder.

AAAAAAAHH!! WherearewehowdidwegethereGethin? WhoaretheywhyaretheyhereGethingwilltheyhurtusshoul dwekillthem? Where'sthatstupidtrollthatattackedus?

After this intense stream of babble, the man falls silent for a moment, his knees pulled up to his chest and his hands wrapped around the back of his head. During this whole display, you notice the single most remarkable thing about his appearance, a detail that will always stick in your head. The man's eyes are completely dead, his irises and pupils only indistinctly visible under a milky white film that covers the surface of his entire eyes. He hardly ever blinks.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry guys, I forgot my first rule of PbP games in my last post: "Always post with the intention of facilitating roleplay or plot development." A post about a character lying asleep in bed doesn't do that too well, does it? Anyway, Baqi's awake now, so let the game commence!

Also, I'd like to use indigo for my in-character speech. Looks like a nice necromancer-y color, doesn't it?
    --- Baqi Illwyn ---

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

eek Re: Idol Hands, Part II:

Jackob Owens

Jackob is roused out of his sleep by the babbling of the third person in the room. Noticing this person is definitly different than anyone else he has seen in quite some time, but this isn't saying much considering the taint and deformity that has struck this city.

Son, are you alright, you were yelling out in your sleep something strange.
    --- Jackob Owens ---

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Baqi Illwyn

Still cowering in the corner, his hands clutching the back of his head, Baqi whimpers slightly as he tilts his head to look out of the corner of his eyes at Jackob, who has risen from his bed and is approaching slowly. As Jackob approaches, Baqi lets out another loud shriek and holds his left hand out straight toward Jackob, his fingers spread and his palm facing Jackob.

As Baqi's hand uncurls and his palm becomes visible, Jackob is shocked to see a gristly face covering the entirety of Baqi's palm. Its mouth splits the hand just above where the thumb joins, and two hollow black eyes can be seen at the base of Baqi's index and ring fingers. The face's skin is a dark gray and it trails away into wisps of smoke that seem to curl around the back of Baqi's hand and between his fingers.

As soon as it's unfurled, the face lets out another unearthly scream, and everyone in the room who is conscious feels tendrils of fear snake into their minds and their muscles begin to tense, too scared to move.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    He he he. I've been wanting to use this for a while. Baqi's ghostly visage symbiont familiar will use its Gaze of Terror ability. Everyone within 30 ft who can see the face on Baqi's palm must make a Will save (DC 15, not like I expect anyone to fail) or be paralyzed with fear for (1d4)[2] round(s).
    --- Baqi Illwyn ---

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Jackob Owens

Jackob aproaches the bed of the third person in the room, and is caught off guard by the screaming hand of this guy. Its a very strange cold feeling of fear that envelops over Jackob, but he is able to shake off the fear.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Will Save: 1d20+12 [10]+12 = 22

Son, I'm not a threat to you. Now if you feel it is necessary to continue to try and scare me, or lash out in some other angry way, please suppress it. My name is Jackob, and I am in the same situation as you, because of Karras. I don't know where he found you, or if he's helping you or you're helping him, but I would ask that you please stop waving your hand at me. Now, I'm a Cleric, so if you need something, let me know, but right now, I need to look after my own injuries and those of my compatriot.

I turn toward my friend, and inspect his wounds and checking for anything that might not have been treated properly. After I find things appear to be normal and healing, I rouse him from his sleep.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    RANDY, THIS MEANS YOU! PLAY THE GAME!
    Last edited by Jackob Owens; 2008-06-27 at 08:20 AM.
    --- Jackob Owens ---

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Baqi Illwyn

Jackob's reassurance seems to penetrate through Baqi's paranoia, at least enough to make him clench his fist and withdraw his hand. As he does so, you see the dark gray smoke around his hand dissipate, and when he begins to compulsively clench and unclench his hand, the face is gone. However, he remains crouching in the corner of the room until Jackob turns to administer to the room's still-unconscious third occupant.

The moment Jackob's back is turned, Baqi darts over to the neat pile that contains his gear, and grasps the long curving polearm that's leaning against the wall, leaning heavily against it as he stands, his head tilted to one side, watching Jackob's ministrations through his unsettling dead and staring eyes.

Noticeably calmer but still agitated, Baqi continues to clench and unclench one fist while gripping the haft of his polearm with the other. He turns his head for a moment to focus on a point above his right shoulder and speaking softly.

No, I don't know where we are or who these others are. They don't seem to want to hurt us, at least not at the moment.

After a few moments of conversing, apparently with himself, Baqi moves over to Jackob with an unsteady gait, ducking out of the way of some unseen threat every once in a while. With some hesitation, he fixes his unsettling stare on Jackob and extends his right hand to Jackob. You notice that this hand is heavily bandaged with straps of brown cloth.

You are Jackob, a cleric. Our name is Baqi. Do you know where we are or who brought us here? We don't really remember anything after that troll knocked us unconscious.

What? Oh, fine. You weren't unconscious, but it doesn't really make any difference. We're still here and we don't know where we are.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we just keep up the game between the two of us until our third decides to make an appearance. I'm having a good time.
    --- Baqi Illwyn ---

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Jackob Owens

Turning towards the figure behind him when he starts speaking, he sees the man he was going to know as Baqi. He notices the eyes first, looking dead, but he can still tell this man is looking at him.

Well Baqi, it is good to hear that you have decided to be cordial. Its good to meet you, and I hope we don't have to meet your hand friend again sometime soon. Who were you talking to by the way?

Jackob is curious about who Baqi was talking to, because it looked like he was talking to his shoulder. His better judgement may have prevented him from asking in the past, but this has been one hell of a last few days and his better judgement has been put away to get a handle on the craziness around him.
    --- Jackob Owens ---

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Baqi Illwyn

As Jackob speaks, Baqi continues to clench and unclench his fist, continuing on a cycle of 17 clench/unclench iterations followed by a short rest period. Each clench is slightly different in the order he moves his fingers and how his fist ends up.

He turns his head to focus on Jackob when addressed.

What? What are you talking about? We were talking to someone?
    --- Baqi Illwyn ---

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Jackob Owens

Confused on why this man keeps talking in the third person while talking to Jackob is continuing to bother him, but this one is going to get chalked up to a mental taint that might be affecting his new friend. Jackob is amazed that he just thought of this man as his friend after only recently meeting him. Perhaps it is the feeling of remorse that Jackob is still hiding from losing Sid, or the fact that he knows this is not over yet, its actually just begining. Jackob remembers the offers that Karras has given to him and his compatriots. He knows he is probably going to need all of the help he can get to get free and away from Karras and his "duty" but friend is not a word that was so easily given out in the past.

Well, Baqi, this is an interesting situation we are in together, and by "we" I mean you, I, and my friend here. I don't know if you were offered any deals from Karras, but we made a deal with this figurative "Devil" and now we have to do his dirty work. I myself am not proud of our deals, but it was the only way for us to keep this world from being destroyed. Now he has charged us with venturing back out into this crazy world that was on the brink of destruction no less than 2 days ago to clean up the remains of devils and evil to track down Wizards who are the last threats we know of in this godforsaken city.

Jackob inhales deeply and closes his eyes to compose himself.

I'm sorry if I got a little intense there, but as you can see I'm not in the best place in the world right now, what with all the death and saving the world and all. Sorry. Now, what happened to your hand? Is there something I can do to help you?
    Last edited by Jackob Owens; 2008-06-27 at 08:19 AM.
    --- Jackob Owens ---

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Baqi Illwyn

Baqi frowns, his brow creasing as he strains to remember the past few days. He shudders, apparently at some dark and terrifying memory, and soon returns to reality (at least, as much as is possible for him). Clenching and unclenching his fist, he murmers.

Karras, Karras, Karras. We don't know anyone by that name, do we? No, that name does not sound like it would belong to a troll.

He seems to come out of this reverie after a moment, jumping backwards and clenching his left fist with increasing speed when Jackob mentions his hand.

Nothing happened to our hand. At least, nothing involving Babaus. And any damage that wasn't done to our hand is too late to undo. So, tell us a little about this deal?
    Last edited by Baqi Illwyn; 2008-07-09 at 03:22 PM.
    --- Baqi Illwyn ---

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

confused Re: Idol Hands, Part II:

Jackob Owens

Jackob looks startled when Baqi pulls his hand away quickly after offering help and showing concern toward it. Jackob shrugs putting it into the back of his mind, Baqi is right, if its some horrid effect of a Babau, there is really nothing Jackob could do to repair is now. Intrequed about his mention of a Troll, Jackob pushes on with his side of the story.

A Troll, you say? That wouldn't have been Truart would it. I hoped he made it out of that battle alive, I always admired his thirst for blood. Karras helped us distract the forces protecting the statue...

Jackob goes on about the encounter prior to this meeting, the Trolls helping, the plan of attack, the strange puzzle to get into the wings of the school, and the terriable final confrontation with those we sought to destroy. Jackob is fatiqued even telling the story again, having to re-live every thought and every motion.

So that, Baqi, is how my friend and myself ended up here, and the debt we owe to Karras is because of his help, and Truart's. Like I said before, I don't know if Karras offered you anything, or if you were even working for him before as well, but I do know, that my friends and I are one person down, and If we are to face the evil of 6 great Wizards, we are going to need all the help we can get. I will ask if whatever fate Karras already had planned for you could be set aside so that you could join us, that is if you would want to. It is a dangerous and deadly mission we undertake, so I cannot ask, I can only offer our companionship.

Jackob looks over Baqi again with a roving eye, taking in every aspect of him and judging his talents and candor that he can read from this once over. Jackob has become good at reading people, and although Baqi has tried to scare him into submission once, and seems to talk to himself, he must have some skills for Karras to take intrest, and to manifest that scare tactic.
    Last edited by Jackob Owens; 2008-06-27 at 08:18 AM.
    --- Jackob Owens ---

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Baqi Illwyn

Baqi is floored by Jackob's story, though he doesn't really show it. Having been cooped up in a building with the demons for weeks, he is surprised that anyone could actively seek to combat them and be able to drive them back. As it was, he only barely survived by cowering and fighting defensively. His gaze wanders up and to the right as he clenches and unclenches his left hand.

No, don't worry. We're not going to tell him about that. *pause* Or that.

Baqi fixes his eyes on Jackob once again.

Interesting story. We're gratified and a bit surprised by your trust in us. We know we don't seem very trustworthy, at least not since... he trails off.

Anyway, we were a student at the Vendiagam School before it happened, and have some skills that might be helpful. Unless Karras has some other plans, perhaps we will help.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I checked with Les, it's spelled "Karras."
    --- Baqi Illwyn ---

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Idol Hands, Part II:

Jackob Owens

Well Baqi, it pleases me to see your calmer side. I hope I don't do anything to deserve to see that little friend of yours again. I wonder how long we've been here resting after such an attack, but judgeing from how weak I feel, and how hungry... luckily I spent some time gathering my thoughts and praying this morning already...

Jackob begins concentrating on his holy symbol and begins chanting. After a few minutes of this prayer, food and water for three appears out of thin air, just as Jackob had prayed for.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you couldn't guess, Jackob just cast "Creat Food and Water" which is a 3rd level spell with Verbal and Somatic components, easily cast in 10 minutes or so. What? I was hungry...

Now, please, have something to eat. If we need to wait to see what happens to us next, let us at least do it on a full stomach. There is plenty, eat up.

Jackob takes his own advice and begins eating some of the fare that is placed before him. It is nothing extravagent, simple food, but very nourishing. Jackob takes some of the food over to his compatriot that is still unconcious and feeds him and tries to get him to drink somthing. He seems to react enough to swallow, but nothing more...
    --- Jackob Owens ---

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Baqi Illwyn

Seeing Jackob eating the food with no ill effect, Baqi squats on the floor, eating voraciously with his hands. You get the impression that he hasn't had much to eat in the last few weeks, and even this bland, simple fare is delicious to him. While he eats, he keeps up a steady stream of dialogue with himself, using with the muffled voice of someone talking with his mouth full.

Mmf. What? We don' know, maybe we could. No idea wha wards are in place or anyfing. Check? We could do tha', we suppose.

After a few moments of this sort of one-sided dialogue, Baqi stops stuffing his face for a moment and stands up. He rubs his left hand lightly over his eyes from his forehead to the crown of his nose, intoning as he does so.

Mujhe jaadu dekhaaiye!

While intoning, his voice takes on a harsh, ringing tone unlike his normal speaking voice. When his hand moves away from his eyes, you can see that they're ringed with a dark purple glow, which sets of the strangeness of his white dead eyes even more.

Clenching and unclenching his fist, he turns in a slow circle, pausing in every direction for a few seconds, gazing about the room intensely.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baqi is casting Detect Magic, trying to see if any magical wards or other spells are in place, particularly those that might prevent them from leaving. He'll concentrate in each direction for three rounds, attempting to learn as much as possible.

Spellcraft Check - 21 - trying to identify the spell school of any spell he sees. The DC for this check is 15 + spell level (for spell effects) or 15 + half caster level (for non-spell effects)

Spells Remaining - 1st: 7, 2nd: 8, 3rd: 7, 4th: 7, 5th: 6, 6th: 4
    Last edited by Baqi Illwyn; 2008-06-27 at 10:12 AM.
    --- Baqi Illwyn ---

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

With some food in his stomach, and so much going on around him, Kelbor finally starts to awaken. He rolls his head a little, and turns his head to one side, then, finally coming to, jerks up, jumps out of his bed and reaches for his weapons. Not seeing them right away, he falls to his knees, closing his eyes, and holds his head, definitely in pain.

What's... where... oh, it hurts. And the dreams...

Holding his head with one hand, he tentatively starts to look up, winces in pain, and decides better of it.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry it took me so long to get on here. Work has been insane, life has been insane, and so on and so forth. Char. sheet not online yet, but it's pretty well compiled and ready, maybe wednesday, or sometime this weekend? 'til then I've got it in front of me at least. I'll be able to post from work occasionally, or from home, and suchlike.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Baqi Illwyn

As the third figure in the room stirs and groans, Baqi abruptly ceases his examination of the room and jumps back and clutches his polearm tighter, his attention riveted on the prostrate figure. His dead eyes focused on this new development, he speaks out of the corner to Jackob. The speed at which he clenches and unclenches his left hand increases, and what seems to be a thin whisp of smoke winds around his torso and down his left arm.

Who is this, then? Why didn't we see him before?
    --- Baqi Illwyn ---

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Jackob Owens

Jackob turns to Kelbor and attends to the wounds, trying to calm his friend and comfort him.

Baqi, this is my friend Kelbor. He was the only other compatriot of mine to survive the assault on the school. If it was not for this man, I would surely be dead as well. He is a friend.

Jackob looks from Baqi back to Kelbor, taking in the pain of his friends face and keeping him calm and comfortable.

I really don't know what we are going to be subjected to, but I can only hope we don't see that horrid statue again. It is going to haunt my dreams for the rest of my life...

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the delay there guys, I'll stay on top of things. Good to see Randy is with us, and now we just need to see where Les is going to take us...
    --- Jackob Owens ---

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Enter Truart

The odd sense of quiet settling over the room as Jackob and Kelbor recall the final conflict with Ahriman is broken as the door is pushed open, and the massive bulk of the troll Truart enters the room. Truart appears much the same as you recall him - at least nine feet tall, clad in an ornate suit of armor studded with spikes and leering faces. From the look of his armor - various straps of flesh pinned onto the spikes, bones in the jaws of the faces - he appears to have added heavily to his toll in the wake of the rift's collapse.

Gazing around the room, he notes you are all awake and gestures his armored hand up in a "come" gesture.

"You've slept long enough. Karras demands your presence in his hall. Best not to keep him waiting." With an impatient look over his shoulder he turns around and turns right outside the door.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    You thought me dead, but I was sailed away on a sea of mutilation instead. Ho ho. Yes, I walk the internets again and am filled with lovely ideas for this campaign. Feel free to post once again and react.

And know as well that I will now be checking this post daily and reacting depending on how much you have filled in - I may check once or twice a day if a good combat or conversation is going on. So my reactions are now dependent on all of yours - and that means all, I won't post everytime just one of you does something. We're a team guys!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Baqi Illwyn

Baqi gasps and jumps back as Truart squeezes through the door and into the room. His eyes widen and he raises his left hand, holding it in front of his body at about shoulder height in what is obviously an en garde position, the right hand gripping his naginata tightly. His mouth opens and begins to form the shapes of words, but the only sound you can hear is a faint gutteral growl that carries a hint of the ringing harshness you noticed before. Faint whisps of navy blue, indigo, and maroon miasma begin to form around both of his hands, focusing especially on his left.

When the troll makes no aggressive gestures, Baqi tilts his head to the side and mumbles. Is that the one from before? Why doesn't he attack us? How should we know? He looks the same...

His obvious discomfort (bordering on outright hostility) aside, Baqi doesn't attack the troll, and looks at Jackob and Kelbor out of the corners of his eyes, trying to gauge their reactions. After all, Jackob had mentioned a troll before as something of an ally.

When Truart leaves the room, Baqi shoots Jackob a quisical glance, silently asking what to do and who to trust.
    --- Baqi Illwyn ---

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Re: Idol Hands, Part II:

Jackob Owens

Jackob is glad to see that Truart had survived the onslaught of the rift, but is even more concerned about how much time has passed and what Karras may have in store for them next.

Well then, I guess we don't get anymore time to rest. Baqi, I'd like you to meet Truart. He's a little gruff, but... well actually I don't know if he has a soul... anyway, when Truart and Karras beckon us, we would be smart to answer quickly.

Jackob walks over to the table and gathers his things, putting on his armor, throwing his cloak over his shoulders, putting on his belt, hefting his sword onto his back, and tucking his gun in his belt. Jackob takes his glasses off his face, cleans them on his tabbard, and places them back on his face...

Well friends, lets go. Like I said, best not to keep Karras waiting.
    --- Jackob Owens ---

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Baqi Illwyn

Baqi shrugs, not really sure what other options he has. Clenching and unclenching his fist, he weaves his way unsteadly forward after Jackob, mumbling under his breath as he goes.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any results from that Detect Magic Baqi used earlier?
    --- Baqi Illwyn ---

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Kelbor raises his head again, hands still shaking, as Truart enters. He waits until the troll leaves then slowly, but as quickly as he can, puts on his armor and grabs his weapons. He staggers as he does this, from the pain and shock of still being alive.

I can't believe we sold our souls to Karas. And now we haven't even seen if it was worth it, and no way to get away from him.

Kelbor is standing now, and starting to push down the pain and memories.

Who are you? He asks the strange emaciated figure.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Baqi Illwyn

Baqi is walking past him when Kelbor speaks, and he continues on his way, still unsure of this new person. His gaze flits from the ground to Jackob's back to the spot above his right shoulder as he speaks softly.

Baqi Baqi Illwyn you're Kelbor and our name is Baqi Illwyn. We're friends with Jackob and you're Kelbor and we're Baqi.

At this point, Baqi points at Jackob's retreating back and finally turns his head to look at Kelbor, giving the newly-awakened man his first good glimps of Baqi's dead eyes.

Come on, we have to go see Karras now, whoever that is. You have to come to, so we can figure out what this is all about.
    --- Baqi Illwyn ---

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Hall of Karras

As you step out of the room, Truart glances back at you to make sure you follow. He nods once at Kelbor and Jackob, sneering slightly at Baqi.

You follow the troll down a series of soothingly painted hallways, bare of decoration but well-maintained. Several doors are interspersed on the walls, but all closed. It appears to have the feel of a mansion, but is mostly dark with few lights on the walls.

After walking for several moments, unsure of how much ground you have covered but going up no stairs, Truart opens a large metal door at the end of the hallway and leads you into a large octagonal room with a high ceiling.

The walls are painted in a textured orange, while oak panelling lines the sides and torches are mounted in metal frames. Periodic oak columns are placed through the room, and a gold-and-crystal chandelier hangs from the roof. Your feet tap on hard marble floors, which on closer perspective appear to be studded with diamonds in a stellar map. There are three doors in the room, two of which are on either side of the room (one of which you entered from) and a larger double set of doors on the wall between the two with a fireplace on the other side.

Several granite pedestals line the room, on which various obscure items sit - a marble mask split with a wide grin and a fine beard, a large diamond wrapped in a pincher-like obsidian frame, a bone-hilted sword with a blade seemingly composed of crystal, an elven forearm covered in rings and bracelets to name a few. Piles of paperwork and books are scattered, most around three desks scattered through the room. At each desk sits a strange-looking construct, appearing to be an emaciated flesh golem wrapped in red robes.

Moving with a notebook in his hands, quietly notating things, you see Karras amongst the clutter. The mercane is now wearing a jet-black robe interwoven with pearls and thick bone-colored threads, and a skullcap of a very dark red. He turns to you and opens his wide spiny grin.

"Ah, my friendsh. You have awakened from shlumber. Reshted, I should think?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ted, your Detect Magic doesn't pick up anything specific - of course all items are appropriately magic, as are Truart's sword and armor. The general sense you get though is that there is magic all around, almost as though the whole area had a heartbeat of its own.

Sorry for the verboseness of the post, but I felt some scene-setting was in order. Now for some dialogue to get into the story and some action.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Baqi Illwyn

Baqi's dead eyes scan the room, noting the obviously valuable objects scattered throughout and the immense quantity of paperwork and books. His mouth creeps upward in a smile and he inhales deeply, as if reveling in the smell of books. His hand continues to clench and unclench compulsively.

So immersed is he that he is startled when Karras speaks. The voice captures his attention immediately, and his unsettling gaze comes to rest on a point about 6 inches above Karras' right shoulder. He clutches his naginata and whispers to Jackob.

Who is this? We don't know him.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Does Baqi recognize any of the items in the room as former possessions of the Vendiagam school?

Also, come on everybody! POST!
    --- Baqi Illwyn ---

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LesIsMore909 View Post
    Moving with a notebook in his hands, quietly notating things, you see Karras amongst the clutter. The mercane is now wearing a jet-black robe interwoven with pearls and thick bone-colored threads, and a skullcap of a very dark red. He turns to you and opens his wide spiny grin.

"Ah, my friendsh. You have awakened from shlumber. Reshted, I should think?"
    Jackob Owens
    Jackob is amazed by the size of this room, and wonders how Karras has amassed such wealth and grandeur, then he remembers that Karras will manipulate and steal or buy off whatever he wants. This is not a disrespectful feeling that Jackob has for Karras, but almost a jealousy for the way he lives and the resources he has available to him. Jackob has long since wished to be in his element again, perusing texts and going over old, long forgotten tomes of ancient knowledge. Scanning the room Jackob takes in each different item, studying it from he distance that he can see.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    OK, checking out those fun items, here is my Cloistered Cleric Knowledge Check - (1d20+16)[33] - as well as knowledge Arcana - (1d20+14)[32] - and my Knowledge The Planes - (1d20+14)[30] - and finally my Knowledge Nobility and Royalty - (1d20+10)[24] - thats all I have... lets see what I find...

Well, Karras, I see the revelations and changes of late have not weakened your resolve. As far as rest, yes, I have slept, but I would not call it sound sleep, it is a dreamless nightmare, that or I relive the events over again in my mind. So I could probably use more rest, but there is no time for that anymore.

Jackob nods at Karras, out of respect as well as that he would rather not bow or show him any more honor than he deserves. After he nods, Jackob walks closer to Karras and looks closer at the many items and such he has on display, occasionally looking closer at a book or a sheet of paper.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, looking around is about all Jackob wants to do, as this area is very fascinating to him and his studies.

On another note, I am without internet at home yet, but that should change this Friday, and then, of course, I will be going up north with Shelly and Hilary for the weekend and will not be home till Sunday night, sleeping, and going to work. I can check and post from work, but we have been rather busy this week, so it may be an issue how often I post.

Another final note, to Les, What do we want to do with Jackob and what are you plans to bring Logan in? Send me an E-mail or a PM here on GitP
    --- Jackob Owens ---

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Kelbor walks in, and looks around dejectedly, both from having his world so torn apart, and from now being in service to Karras.

Alive, at least. And that's more important that rested.

He doesn't seem very interested in the books or anything else around, but looks more like a man beaten and broken.

We'll probably never truly feel rested until after we're done with what we owe you, or we're dead like our friend. I just hope the rest of the world is better off for what we've done

He then mutters under his breath... or else I'd have been better off just running away when this all started, and letting the end come when the demons one. Dead is dead, there was debauchery to be had yet farther South before they'd have arrived.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll be around on and off for the next couple weeks... going on shoots in about 7 cities from Eagle River to Janesville and back over the next week, plus moving, plus who a documentary to finish up for submission into Sundance... it'll be busy, but I'll try to post more.