New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Grinning Snake Group 2

It is early morning; the sun has begun to poke up over the horizon as you begin your morning routine. Some of you many have a quick shave, perhaps buy a quick meal from the man on the corner, nothing too special. Well, not yet anyway. You begin to work your way through the slums that cover most of the western side of the city, even sprawling past the city walls. The streets begin to full up with people as the sun rises above the spires of the Palace and your shadow shortens. The general din of the city reverberates in your ear, people selling their wares, greetings and farewells all join together into one noise.

The air is crisp, there is not a cloud in the sky, you can see frost on the edges of the windows and your own breathe in front of you, ‘Dragon’s Breathe’ they call it, something to do with difference in heat and water, you never really worried about that sort of thing. You make your way to the docks, men are already working hard unloading ships and running up and down the massive jetty jutting out into the bay, the Block they call it. You take a left and enter a small square, in the middle is a simple fountain; a group of children are drinking from it as you head towards the Rejoicing Sailor Tavern. You enter the building and despite the fact that it is still early the inn is already filling up with men, keen to spend the money they earned on the night shift. You walk over to the barman, a short squat man. You enquire about a man called the Grinning Snake, he looks hard at you for a second, as if appraising you before showing you to a room in the back.

“Wait here,”

He says simply and closes the door as you sit down at the table. Some people may have already arrived or perhaps you are a morning person and like to get somewhere in good time. Either way the room slowly fills up until there are three people sitting around the table with you. The barman enters again.

“He will be with you shortly, please be patient, please feel free to converse among yourselves whilst you wait”
    Sigatar by Me

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Grinning Snake Group 2

Lester mutters in agreement and eyes the fellow hirelings around the table. The goblin, elf, and man each own a mat of black hair but the similarities end there. Across him the goblin has a wild look. Next to her the elf seems at edge in a sailors' bar, but not for want of looking like one. So far this deal doesn't look like a set up Lester reassures himself. The one to his immediate right worries him though. The youth betrays a smugness about him not fitting his physique. Lester was not sure if he wanted to know what that one brought to the table.

"Barkeep, I'll have a shot of whatever is cheap and like to wake me up" he rasps at the stout fellow, "and put it on the tab of our laggard employer."
    Last edited by GrassyGnoll; 2008-05-20 at 08:37 PM.
    A post about nothing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

As Tharkay entered the tavern he cast a cautious look around the main room, thankfully not recognizing any faces. He followed the bartender to the back room where he took a seat to the right of the goblin, the seat directly across from it already taken. It must have spent the night in a stables somewhere he thought to himself. The man to his right had the look of a survivor, someone who had seen his fare share of hardships in the city. Directly across was a man that looked out of place in a tavern in the slums, it wasn't in the way he was dressed, but more in the way he held himself.

"I would have a glass of wine if it possible" Tharkay called after the barman as he left the room for a second time. So while he waited for this Grinning Snake to arrive he worried that one of the Sea Dogs might have recognized him as he traveled along the wharf.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

After a few moments sitting next to the goblin, Tharkray perhaps starts to think the scent of a well-used stable would be preferable to the powerful stink emenating from her.

Her beady red eyes dart from person to person, keeping herself on guard in case the letter should turn out to be a trap. A black beast of a dog wearing a harness of studded leather sits under the table near her, gnawing busily on a meaty bone.

"So, looks like I'm not the only sucker who showed up for this meeting", she says. This statement is followed by a horrible high pitched wheezing sound which you can only guess is a goblinish laugh. "The big folk 'round here call me Grungina. What about you?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"Now let's not rush into this with unnecessary niceties" Lester curtly deflects the question. "All you need to know is that I'm in the business of finding people. And the first step to doing so is a name."

Not a trap he thinks, but with a dog like that I'd doubt I could get to the docks before being dragged down. That shot better be one hell of an eye opener.
    Last edited by GrassyGnoll; 2008-05-22 at 05:08 PM.
    A post about nothing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

"I would rather exchange pleasantries after we have been informed of what the arrangement is supposed to be" Tharkay added, "if this deal turns sour I doubt any of us will find a reason to see each other again."

While they waited for this Grinning Snake, Tharkay kept one hand near his sword. Sure as he was that he could get away from this group if a free for all started, he was still nervous as to who may be out in the main room should he leave in a hurry.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Edward

"I rarely find a good deal, so I don't suppose i'll be seeing any of you very much. And, my name... is my own business." Edward said, a slight haughtiness in his voice, as if it was below him to be called here like this. He shifted in his seat and crossed his arms, waiting for this to continue.

The rest of these people didn't look like his type at all. The elf seemed tolerable, but the others... a man from the street, and a goblin? How disgraceful. This wouldn't last very long at all.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

This'll never do, things are too tense. Maybe the goblin was onto something. Lester observes.

"You'd honestly try the vintage down here?" he asks the elf, "You're more trusting than our goblin friend."
    Last edited by GrassyGnoll; 2008-05-22 at 06:29 PM.
    A post about nothing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

"After the swill that passed for alcohol I dealt with for over the last decade, it cannot be that bad," Tharkay responded with a chuckle, "Besides, with the situation I'm in things can't get much worse."
    Last edited by cRySTaL*NiNjA; 2008-05-22 at 09:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

"I wouldn't be so sure about that, friend," comes a gruff voice as the door opens. In steps a man dressed in a red overcoat and red brimmed hat. He is of average height and slender build, his black hair is slightly messy and goes down past his shoulders. The most striking thing about him is his face, it is very angular, as if it had been hewn from stone.

"Things could get a lot worse, especially if those guards waiting outside had managed to get to you. As you no doubt suspect, I am The Grinning Snake and it is I who called you here. But before we get down to business you all might as well get rid of all the questions you have, Ask away"

He relaxes in a chair after his little speech, as he sits down a dull grey coloured snake slithers out of his sleeve and onto the table where it transfixes Lester with its beady eyes. The thing is about a meter in length but looks docile, for the moment.
    Sigatar by Me

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"We're you responsible for the gathering or dispersing of said guards?" piques Lester, "Cause that'd shade the rest of my questions."

He eyes the snake warily. Might be it's just a distraction, it'd be best to watch the master instead. He shifts his gaze to the ringleader.
    Last edited by GrassyGnoll; 2008-05-23 at 11:05 PM.
    A post about nothing.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

"If I had gathered them wouldn't I have sent them in already?" asks The grinning Snake with a smile.
    Sigatar by Me

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well then. What's the job and what's your price?" Lester relaxes. It wouldn't have been the first time he'd been shanghaied into a job.

I don't trust him, but that's nothing new. But his gold is just as good as the rest of theirs, presumably.
    A post about nothing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

"I would also like to know just what this job will entail," added Tharkay, "and what guarantee can you make about payment, I have had a few jobs where my employer has tried to bail out of paying me."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The Grinning snake nods. "As you all know I have called you here because I wish to create a new power in the city. The gangs have become fat and stagnant, the city guard lazy. I aim to change all that... to mix things up a bit. To do this I require your help, you will go out and stir things around in my name. You will be able to keep most of the profits you make, as well as any power you earn. I will contact you with... missions every now and then, but apart from that you work for yourselves."

He reaches into an inside pocket of his coat and pulls out a key and a letter. "I have arranged so that you will have a base of operations. It is quite rundown, and I would suggest shoring up the locks as a first course of action," He places them on the table "Front door key and directions,"

He again reaches into a pocket and pulls out four coins and hands one to each of you. They are simple silver coins, stamped on both sides with the grinning snake emblem.

"If you wish to contact me them leave a gold coin on the gatepost outside the house. Now, we better get going," With that he gets up and motions to the door. "I will contact you with more details when I have found you trustworthy."
    Sigatar by Me

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Edward

Edward watches the Grinning Snake talk for a while, and decides he likes him. That means he'll be taking this job.

"A new power in the city, hm?" Edward said, with a smirk, and crossed one leg slowly over the other. "You are right, everyone in the city has become stagnant. I will much enjoy ruing this chaos- in your name, and with this backing it will be no trouble." He said, plucking the key off the table and turning it in his hands slowly.

"I suppose i'm not supposed to spend this at the slots.." He muttered, taking the silver coin as well, pondering how much more trust he could gain. They had shown up here in the first place after all, and that was more to ask for for most of these sort.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

A steady job, with connections no less. It's a good start.

"You got yourself another man", Lester agrees tentatively, "but who here do you expect to handle the locks?"
    Last edited by GrassyGnoll; 2008-05-29 at 05:02 PM.
    A post about nothing.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

"I'm in," says Tharkay tossing one of the coins up into the air and catching it with a flourish. "I don't know anything about locks, but I can take on just about any opponent in combat."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have selected each of you for your skills, so perhaps you should all just quickly tell each other what your skills are before we leave."
    Sigatar by Me

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

The silence was long and awkward.

"Well, I think I've made it clear my job is to bring people in. Dead. Alive. Easier dead"

Spoiler
    Show
    Is Gypsy even here anymore?
    A post about nothing.