New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default The Isle of Aspergillum - Act 1 - Road to Cordell

Just opening the forum guys, will let you know in the prelude when we are ready to use this forum, for those of you who don't know the forum is an introduction just between you and I that shows you the world, introduces some NPC's and gets all the characters to the same starting point for party genesis.

Start with Kavri meets Demitrios.
    Last edited by Don the Bastard; 2008-07-24 at 08:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Isle of Aspergillum - Act 1 - Cordell

Demetrios

A look of shock on his face, Demetrios places his coins back in his belt-pouch. Feeling slightly queasy in the knowledge that, if the the lady hadn't shown up, he would've just lost quite a bit of his money, he leans against his mule, Diomedes. As he does, he notices a boy standing nearby, staring.

"What are you looking at?" he asks, trying to sound indignant, but it comes out pathetically. Shaking his head, he turns to the lady. "Thankyou for helping me. Who are you? And who's Jacob?"
    Last edited by llamamushroom; 2008-07-21 at 02:51 AM.
    Today’s lesson is brought to you by the number e and the letter 7
    Spoiler
    Show
    A not unblack dog chased a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.
    - George Orwell, Language and Politics

Awarded 1 Internet by Vuzzmop
    Awesome teacher avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Kavri chuckles at the boy's hardship but stifles it quickly. He decides no further action is necessary. Julia seems to be handling things, so the only thing to do is watch and laugh internally.

4. - Top - End - #4

Demetrios

Hearing a sound coming from the side, Demetrios turns his attention back to the boy. Looking more closely, he sees that he isn't human - his ears, like Demetrios', are pointed, though the points are more pronounced, and his eyes are almost the same blue, and his hair not quite the same blond. That must be an elf. Perhaps he knows... no. That's just plain wishful thinking. I could hardly be expected to know every single human woman from a vague description. And besides, he looks even younger than me. What on earth could he be thinking of me? A half-elf walking the road with nothing but a mule? For all I know, he's laughing at me!

Realising he'd turned his back on his savior, he quickly directed his gaze back to her, though the thought of seeing an elf was beginning to drive even his recent near disaster from his mind. A sudden thought occurred to him - What on earth are a woman and an elf-child doing this far out of the town?
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jacob stands from the ground, and you can almost hear his bones creaking, he reaches out and shakes your hand Demetrios "So sorry son, just trying to turn some coin for a decent feed in Cordell", when he lets go of your hand you feel the sudden urge to count your fingers.

"He's nothing but a thief and card shark... but I have to admit at them he is the best, why would you be leaving Never Haven for Cordell?" Julia muses rubbing the knuckles on her hand.

"You must know what they are like up there, you're travelling too, all fat off the profits of trading with Never Haven and Dwurforge... besides there are a few too many people want to see me do the gallows hop in Never Haven" Jacob mimes being hanged.

"Ah! But I am going there to earn a living entertaining people, not cheating them out of there money with card tricks, sleight of hand and magic." Julia waves her hands around.

"IT AINT MAGIC" Jacob says, slamming his fist down on the crate.

Both suddenly become aware of you both standing there watching...

"Jacob, might I introduce Kavri, I met him down by the bridge just this morning, he has been providing me company, and Kavri this is Jacob..." leaning in close and stage whispering "tighten your purse strings..."

"And this is... well I don't know, don't like cheating people I know... what is your name son?"
    Last edited by Don the Bastard; 2008-07-21 at 07:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Demetrios

"My name is Demetrios Petros. I'm from down south, near Never Haven. Though, I've never actually been to the city itself - it's generally considered unwise to be more than a day's journey away from your farm."

A thought suddenly struck Demetrios.

"Why would a Lady such as yourself..." He paused awkwardly, realising that he didn't even know her name. He rushed on, hoping that no-one would notice his blunder. "... know a street magician like... Jacob?... Surely you live in enirely separate worlds?"
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

"My name is Julia Fensworth, I am a Troubadour, mine and Jacob's paths have crossed before as we both like to work the crowds at inns, it's just I take donation and he just takes"

"Now now don't be like that Julia, I don't force them to play the choice is theirs, and they never ask if the game is fair so I figure it's their own fault... buyer beware and all... anyway now my little scam has been blown I might as well move along, may I keep your company to Cordell?"

Julia looks him up and down, she seems to be working out what the risk is.

"what do you think Kavri?Demetrios?"
    Last edited by Don the Bastard; 2008-07-23 at 03:00 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Demetrios

"As he said himself, his ruse has been revealed, so I don't think there could be any harm. You say that you perform to inns? Would you be able to show me a cheap one in the town?"

Demetrios thinks it odd that he's talking to an elder as though they were equals, and that she even sought out his opinion! This Julia seems to be nice. Perhaps she can help me find her...

Spoiler
    Show
    Gaah! Now I'm doing it! Must force self not to go into ridiculous language... even modern phrases are better.
    Last edited by llamamushroom; 2008-07-24 at 03:20 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

"...eh, sure I guess. As long as he promises not to try to dupe any more of us, it seems alright. Now about that inn, I assume all manner of 'adventurers' could be found there, right?" Slightly under his breath Kavri continues, "Frankly I'm more worried about this donkey fellow..."

10. - Top - End - #10

Demetrios

"Why are you be looking for adventurers? My dad always said ..." Demetrios asks, honestly curious. When he mentions his father, his voice trails off, as though thinking about it is painful.

Great. Barely 2 weeks away from home and I'm already missing Dad. Some mission this is turning out to be.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

"Your dad always said what? Not to mess with the common riff-raff? I assume he was the elf than, huh?" Kavri's tone is of slight annoyance. "I'm looking for adventures to find adventure, that simple, and I don't care who it is it's with."

Okay, I definitely shouldn't have said that. I don't know anything about this guy or half-elves. Are they like elves? He certainly didn't seem arrogant, more sad. Great, I made him sad. Maybe I can say something else...

"...er, ummm, unless of course your dad said something completely different about adventurers... I don't know... I mean..." Kavri trails off and looks cautiously at Demetrios.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Julia can obviously feels the tension and let's out a hearty laugh, "Well we aren't making much progress here, let's hit the road, we can talk more on the way, Jacob I suppose you can come too, but I will be watching you"

"I wouldn't have expect any less" Jacob says bitterly, he then grabs his pack and stuffs everything into it, including the crate, and pulls the string shut, hefting it over his shoulder with ease. "Shall we lads? ladies?" he doesn't seem to be talking to anyone in particular, just in generalities.

13. - Top - End - #13

Default Re: The Isle of Aspergillum - Act 1 - Road to Cordell

Demetrios

Kavri's obvious discomfort makes Demetrios feel that he isn't alone in being utterly bewildered by this place. Pehaps he'd be willing to help me find my mother. Demetrios smiles at Kavri to reassure him, then turns to Jacob.

"Lead away - I want to be able to see where your hands are." he says, slightly jokingly.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

You walk a less than an hour together when you hear wagon wheels and horses at your back. A half-empty wagon pulls up close behind you with two people sitting up front, a boy of around 15, skinny, green eyes, red hair and commoners clothes and an older man skinny, rough looking, his face stubbly & moustached, he is dressed in a large brown overcoat and wide-brimmed hat.

"How'd you do travellers, care for a lift? Got room in the back" he says pointing to the back of the wagon.

15. - Top - End - #15

Salvatori:

The boy unburies himself from a book and looks at the travelers on the side of the road. He notices the blonde hair and pointed ears that mark them as elves and decides to speak to them in their own language. "Hello, my name is Salvatori. For what... reason are you... traveling this road?" He introduces himself perfectly, but stumbles a little over the words. Salvatori then offers an apologetic smile. "Sorry for butchering your language."

OOC: I like to color-code languages. Common, Elven, and Draconic are the three Salvatori knows.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2008-07-27 at 12:22 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jacob hefts his knapsack onto the back of the wagon, "don't mind if I do", offering a hand down to Julia, "Mylady?"

Julia leaps onto the side of the wagon, completely ignoring Jacob, "I am quite capable without your help" she then turns to Salvatori and says in perfect elvish "I am looking for work in Cordell, hoping to pick some up during the Summers-end festival, music is my talent."

"Me looking for some coin also" Jacob says in broken elven "You play cards?"

17. - Top - End - #17

Salvatori:

Salvatori is caught slightly off-guard by the torrent of Elvish. He quickly switches back into common. "Music? I've got a sister who likes music. She's got a lovely voice, if I'm any judge." After responding to Julia, he looks Jacob over. "Cards? Ah, cards. No, I don't play. You want my brother, he likes losing mon- I mean, playing cards. So, who are you?"
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

18. - Top - End - #18

Demetrios

Demetrios is almost surprised when the strange words flowing out of Salvatori's mouth make sense to him. What on earth could that mean? I've never spoken Elvish in my life... Perplexed, he clambers onto the wagon a tad less easily than Julia.

"I'm Demetrios, and this handsome fellow..." He indicates down to a lightly-laden mule standing at the roadside. ""... is Diomedes. To accept... me... I... Ugh. I'd like to take up the offer - I need a lift."
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Kavri eyes the cart dubiously, but he sees that everyone else is going, so he'll follow. "Um... my name is Kavri Quinn nice to meet you and... thanks for the ride...I guess."

Kavri climbs into the cart looking around curiously.

OOC: I guess it's important to note that Kavri has been speaking common this entire time. I'll make it green for elvish.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Right then, thats everyone in then, lets get moving, not more'n a days travel to Cordell now.This is Salvatori and I'm Marrick, this is my road."

"My apologies Marrick, I am Julia, Jacob, Kavri and Demetrios" she says pointing around to everybody "Thankyou kindly for the lift"

"Never mind about that miss, there is always spare room on the way back, now if it were the other way, to Never Haven, that might be a different story" Marrick gets out his pipe and starts tapping it out on the wagon seat. "There are some blankets in back there, might make it a bit more comfortable to sit in the back, and I can lash Diomeadees to the side of the wagon here, he won't be having trouble keeping up" He holds his hand out for the reigns.

Jacob starts handing out folded blankets to everyone to sit on.

21. - Top - End - #21

Demetrios

"Thankyou. Don't worry about tying up Diomedes - he'll follow us. May I ask... what is it you do up in Never Haven?"

Demetrios throws the blanket down in such a way as to make it crumple out, and sits down.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Naught more'n this, just a carter for Alerdans, the pays much better than Cordell... Maelin pays well over the minimum wage... might be a good place to start if you're looking for work... carting is easy work if a little lonely, that's why I don't mind picking up travellers." Marrick looks around, making sure everyone is in, seated and comfortable. "right then, lets get moving"

After an hour or so you notice the trees change on your left, they switch from tropical palms and thick scrub to tall white trunked ironwoods, you are nearing the lumberyards, now driving along the plantation...

The mountain top is about to embrace the sun when you pull in at the lumberyards. "There ya go, this is my stop I'm afraid... still, saved you all a few miles walking" Marrick hops down from the cart seat and pulls out his pipe & tobacco again "towns that way, bout 5 or so miles, once you see the glow of the Hearth & Hatchet you're on the edge of town. It has been a pleasure Salvatori, if you need to get back to Never Haven, you just let me know, I usually have an empty seat beside me.

23. - Top - End - #23

Salvatori:

Salvatori hops off the cart and shakes Marrick's hand. "Pleasure's all mine, Marrick. Thank you so much for the ride." He then turns to the rest of the people who Marrick picked up. "Well, I'm going to Cordell and I understand that you all are too. I'd enjoy the company, if you all would like to travel with me for the last stretch."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

24. - Top - End - #24

Kavri:

"Umm..." Weird red-headed kid who reads a lot of books. Wonderful. "I... sure, I'd like the company as well." He speaks elvish, too. Then again, so does everybody else apparently. Maybe it's typical in these parts... "So, Salvatori right? What brings you to Cordell? Actually, come to think of it, I don't know why Demetrios is on his way to Cordell either."

25. - Top - End - #25

Demetrios

Demetrios looks up from re-adjusting Diomedes' saddle when he hears Kavri's implied question. They seem nice enough, and perhaps an elf would be a good ally when looking for another one - at least he can speak elvish. So can this Salvatori fellow. I wonder where he learnt it?

"I am looking for my mother, and after Never Haven, Cordell seemed the best place to go."
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Isle of Aspergillum - Act 1 - Road to Cordell - Pt. 2 Hatchet & Hearth Inn.

Just over an hour later you arrive on the outskirts of town, at the Hatchet & Hearth Inn.

"I have another place to stay in town, I wish I could invite you all along, but there really is only room for one." Julia walks up to each of you in turn, hugs you and wishes you good luck, she punches Jacob lightly in the arm. "Hope not to need to bail you out"

"Don't worry about me love, I can take care of my'self, this place is my kind of pub... but I think I might take a gander about a bit first before I put my head down. Good luck lads." Jacob slinks off into the dark. The pub is pretty typical for a workers tavern, it is a rough stone & wood place, large door propped open by a port barrel full of sand, the sounds of revery come from inside, it feels a little alien but welcoming enough.

Mart & Alix are joining this thread.

Player locations : Demetrios, Salvatori, Kavri outside, Alix behind the bar, Mart sitting at the bar drinking milk.
    Last edited by Don the Bastard; 2008-08-01 at 07:15 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Mart sighs dissappointedly at the bar. he looks up to the bartender.Guess i'll have half a loaf of bread too.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

28. - Top - End - #28

Alix Lundgren

If the Hearth & Hatchet were a more high-caliber inn, and able to afford a higher, more elegant bar, Alix would have been no more than a pair of deep green eyes under a bobbing cap of casually arranged dark, red-brown hair to Mart's eyes. Fortunately for the dwarf, the bar is little more than a mid-height affair of slatted boards on a rail, and she remains visible to those seated at it.

"Worked up an appetite on the road, ya?"

The dwarf's Common is good, but has the strange combination of lilt and rasp characteristic of the dwarven tongue. She seems distracted, something is clearly on her mind as she bustles back from the bar to retrieve a still-warm loaf from their niche in the wall behind the bar.

"Lucky you got up so early, Toby just vhent to the baker's. Still hot from the oven."

She cracks the loaf with a slightly insincere grin, avoiding prolonged eye-contact with the glum youth at the bar. The bread crackles pleasantly, and she hands the half to Mart.

Hölle, but everyvhun comes here has their own problem...

"Vhat's on your mind, eh?"
    Last edited by Annarrkkii; 2008-08-01 at 09:46 PM.
    Good grammar is hot.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I was suppsoed to meet someone here but I never asked his name or even what he looked like. He lays a silver piece on the bar and begins munching on his bread.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

30. - Top - End - #30

Alix Lundgren

"Haha! Well, that's drei-times a damned poor plan for a get-together!" she cackles, before catching herself. "Er, but, eh, mebbe he can identify you then, ya?"

She shrugs, embarrassed by both her outburst, and the distracted mood that caused it. "The day's still young, ya? Mebbe he'll turn up yet. It's not that busy here, mornings. You can pick through 'em as they come."

She drops her eyes to the counter and her eyes widen as her embarrassment deepens. The man had tipped her already, and she'd laughed at him to his face...

With an awkward half-smile, she adds "Er, vhould you like me to refill that mug? Look thirsty."
    Last edited by Annarrkkii; 2008-08-01 at 11:09 PM.
    Good grammar is hot.