New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Exclamation The Game: Playgrounders Vs. a Space Marine

I've been reading the various Warhammer 40k threads and came up with this. It will be interesting to see what others say.

The situation:
    You receive a letter one day, typed on it is the following:
    Welcome, your name has been drawn for The Game. You cannot turn down this invitation as your opponent has already been brought to your planet. The Game is about survival, and the only way to win is to bring about the premature death of your opponent. There are only two rules to the game.
    1. You are not to contact your local police force or military powers about The Game.
    2. If you win you are to destroy your opponent's body and gear.
    If you win you will be awarded 50,000 units of your local currency. Your death will result in your opponent's return to their homeworld.
    Have a nice day.

The parameters of the challenge are as follows:

1. For the purposes of this thread Warhammer 40k as both a novel or wargame don't exist.
    2. The Space Marine is equipped with the following: 1 heavy bolter, 1 chain sword, Generic Power Armor.
    3. You are not capable of using any of the Space Marine's equipment should you capture it.
    4. Neither you or the Space Marine are aware of who your target is. You are both given very big hints, but nothing truly concrete (so in fact you could be hunting someone else entirely).
    5. Most importantly, for the purposes of this thread, you do not have infinite time. There is a 30 day time period before both combatants are vaporised.

So, think you can win? If you can, explain how.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Game: Playgrounders Vs. a Space Marine

I don't think anyone could win. Nothing we've got right now has any chance of actually hurting the Marine, for one thing.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

I am pretty sure most of our heavy military ordinance would. I mean the kind of stuff that can sink battleships and aircraft carriers with a single hit. And a nuke would definitely do it if he is at point blank, not even the most extreme descriptions of space marines i have seen would walk unscathed from that and if they could their own bolters would be useless against them. But nothing any of us could feasibly get our hands on could scratch the space marine.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't even think you need a nuke. A bunker buster on a direct hit should be enough to blow apart the marine. I mean, some of those can blow through 6 meters of hardened concrete.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

That may be true but how are you going to get your hands on one?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Are we talking about one of the common-sense flaunting marines who walks around without a helmet? If so, there is a sliver of a chance with a decent rifle...

(Assuming you can distract him long enough to get such a shot without him destroying you with half a breath)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Indeed. The weapon with the more firepower you can "easily" put your hands on (in the USA, which is pretty heavy. Over here in Canada, I would not dream of trying) would be some sort of heavy shotguns. And that would, at best, dent the ennemy's armor.

I guess if I managed to lure the opponent inside a trap, like making a building crumble over him (I'm pretty sure 50000 tons of material would kill a space marine), I would have a shot..

but they darn better make it 50 000 gold ingots rather than 50 000 CAD!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Nothing in the Philippines can hurt a Space Marine. We have no Main Battle Tanks (that are still operational), no heavy ordnance, and almost all of our local arsenal is Vietnam War surplus.

Furthermore, I would not do it for 50,000 Php. <_< That's only around US $1162. Any injuries I will most likely incur will cost much more than that to correct, assuming I survive and win.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2008-05-21 at 11:28 PM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am pretty sure with enough money, you can get RPGs and stuff from the black market in the States.

With a lucky shot you just might able to incapicitate a Space Marine. I seriously doubt a RPG round can blow them up though, since from what I know, they are closer to mini-tanks.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Just gimme the prototype Enryu the Japanese are building (I know that bitch has the Funnel prototypes the US and Japan are working on. I refuse to believe they constructed a giant robot and didn't arm it.) and I'll win with genre savviness and reflexes honed by years of video games.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Envisron: For the purposes of this thread, whichever is more advantegous to your survival.

Solka: Dropping a building (something the size of a major hotel might work) on the marine might work. Did I said local currency. If you can kill the SM near Fort Knox...

Aslan Cross: You are not limited to just your home country/ country of residence.

Rutee: Japan's building a Giant Mech? That's... interesting.
    Last edited by Zeful; 2008-05-21 at 11:34 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

God dammit, I lost.

Oh. Wrong game. I lost anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

RPGs can destroy tanks though. Of course not get them to blow up because apart from explosives, rocket fuel and a few other things most things simply don't blow up. In fact RPGs are the primary way of getting tanks to blow up...i would prefer trying to steal a Leopard tank though. The army here has several and i only need to move about 50 miles to get to where they are. I have no clue about how to use one though.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.
    No information, he's planning for a MUCH deadlier foe, and I can't...
    Wait.
    All you have to do is hope he landed in North Korea.
    He doesn't know me from Adam, and he's in a nuke happy dictatorship. There are a number of ways to survive. All rely on him ticking off a major military before finding me.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think the Space Marine suit is made of unobtainium, which means it likely won't do a whole lot of damage against the suit, since it's tougher than whatever we are making our tanks in the modern world. A blow on the head or some other weak spot might be able to kill him though.

As for operating a tank, I seriously doubt the Space Marine would just sit there and let you shoot him. Furthermore, I think you need another person to actually aim and shoot the main gun. And since a Space Marine would move super fast and has futuristic weapons, he can just shoot your tank or something and blow it up.
    Last edited by Echowinds; 2008-05-21 at 11:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Solka: Dropping a building (something the size of a major hotel might work) on the marine might work. Did I said local currency. If you can kill the SM near Fort Knox...
    Can I have the 50 000 gold ingots before killing him? I'll use 1 to buy the means, and I'll simply have the other 49 999 drop on him at once. That ough to crush him to a pulp

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is the Space Marine vulnerable to any biological weapons?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

The Space Marine also knows of The Game and hasn't simply killed himself or the entity that plucked him out of battle with whoever.

And aren't space marine suits made of ceramics, really freaking hard ceramics? I can't recall at the moment.

Vulnerabilty to biological weapons: Are they vulnerable to them in cannon?

And the money is the "win" reward.
    Last edited by Zeful; 2008-05-21 at 11:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Aslan Cross: You are not limited to just your home country/ country of residence.
    While this may be the case, the resources it would take me to leave and go to a more conducive environment will likely be worth more than the prize. The closest nation with advanced weaponry is Singapore, which is around 10,000 Php away (on a good day).
    That's not so bad, but I'll have to go up against the Singaporean Armed Forces if I want to get my hands on any heavy weaponry there.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes I can win. Sure the plastic sword might cut my foot but it's well worth 50,000 dollars to crush a plastic miniature with my foot...Now if it's one of those fancy pewter miniatures I might have some trouble...only until I get my steel toed boots or a bolt-cutter though.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I would invite him to a fancy dinner party, slip poison in his glass when no one's looking, then propose a toast.

Subtlety ftw!

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Space Marines can't be poisoned.

Also, I am pretty sure he might find you too Chaotic or not adequatly following the Emperor, which will lead to a very quick and bloody death for you.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

D'oh!

What would be so chaotic or not following the emporer about me? I would, naturally, use something tasteless like a dead baby joke.

Hrm... so much for that. Lucky for me, I have a backup plan. I would plan the food in such a way that it would give him severe heartburn. I would then give him some Nexium, except I would extract the medicine from the pills and replace it with nitroglycerine. It's foolproof.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Echowinds View Post
    I am pretty sure with enough money, you can get RPGs and stuff from the black market in the States.
    In real life, unlike in Hollywood, criminals are commonly armed with black market pistols. Occasionally, black market assault rifles. Never black market anti-tank weaponry.

4. Neither you or the Space Marine are aware of who your target is.
    Hmm... how about the giant in an ungodly suit of battle armor with a huge ass gun and a chainsaw sword?

I find this thread to be ridiculous. Everyone knows you can't win the Game...
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-05-22 at 12:55 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, first off, talk to some of my military buddies, acquire some 50 pound cratering charges (50 pound man portable demo charge that can disintegrate a Bradley) get my hands on either a Barret light .50 or a Chey Tac Intervention (easy as going to a southern shooting range and saying please).
    Second, find the marine.
    Thirdly, put a round between his helmet and his chest piece, right into the little neck seal. Not even a space marine can live sans windpipe and spine, or if he's some SMurf captain, shoot him in the forhead.
    Forth, take a cratering charge, and de-limb him, destroying his gear.
    Finally, grab his bolter, sell it to the Army for a contract worth waaaaaay more than 50,000 US dollars.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    Awesome sigitars by Abardam and Mysticaloctopus
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

The collaborative homebrew setting I'm working on: Nutopia

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, most powerful weapon I'm able to get my hands on in a hurry is an SKS (fires same round as a Kalishnakov). Tragically it is clearly unable to damage a space marine, even if I could hit with it, which I can't. It's also only semi-auto, compared to the burst firing bolter of the Marine. Yep, I'm screwed. On the upside, I might be able to scratch his armor enough to warrent a new paint job...
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

In real life, unlike in Hollywood, criminals are commonly armed with black market pistols. Occasionally, black market assault rifles. Never black market anti-tank weaponry.
    Criminals aren't commonly armed with anti-tank weaponry because it's not easy to conceal, there's no tanks to blow up, and generally lack of a use for them. However, that does not mean they couldn't get it, if they could get assault rifles in the first place.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

There is no way I could kill a space marine in 30 days. I would have a better chance if the game was:
    1) Hide for thirty days, then you win.
    2) The space marine knows who you are.
    3) the space marine knows your general area (such as your town of residence) but not the areas layout.
    4) The space marine is 30 mile away, and not targeted by the military, nor is he noticed by the general public.

I could survive this, maybe, if I hid in the Santa Cruz mountains and kept moving, hoping the trees and terrain would slow him. I would say 50/50 chance.
    Last edited by Squidmaster; 2008-05-22 at 01:18 AM.
    -Squidmaster

Thanks to Sanzh for the awesome squidatar. It will use its evil psionics on you. ZZZZAAAAAPPPPPP, munch munch

Spoiler
    Show

He also gave me this shot of our group. I am a mercy-less, evil DM. They will all die.
    Nakedatar byThe Neoclassic

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    I would plan the food in such a way that it would give him severe heartburn.
    Then he would use one of his other hearts

I would team up with the SM and hunt down whoever is going to vaporise us in 30 days.
    Last edited by Bavarian itP; 2008-05-22 at 01:19 AM.
    shipping Sabine/Vaarsuvius

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

1. For the purposes of this thread Warhammer 40k as both a novel or wargame don't exist.
    I don't get this. Does this mean that you can't use the WH40K canon?
    Because in that case I will just yell at him very loudly and cause his bones to shatter.
    Prove to me that can't be done without referencing the books or the wargame.
    Last edited by poleboy; 2008-05-22 at 01:19 AM.