New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand Of Doom IC

The last screams of the hobgoblins fall to silence, and the sounds of the forest soon resume.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Combat over. Time to check the bodies!
    Oh, and just to make one thing clear, the HH/larger hobgoblins came from the farmhouse(the black blob on the maps).

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Concentrating, I cease to be invisible. I walk over to Glyn and hold out a magic wand. You look like you can use this. I say, activating the wands magic properties.

Spoiler
    Show
    I rescind the effects of Walk Unseen and use a charge from a
    Wand of Cure Light Wounds on Glyn for 8.
    Last edited by Zato-1; 2008-05-31 at 08:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Korren leapt down from the cart, and began to check over the rest of the party, as Shield began to check the bodies for any survivors. "None made it through that last blast, Korren," Shield said, with slight awe at the power his charge controlled. Shield then checked over his equipment. His Fullblade had a few notches in it, due to the larger hobgoblin's skeletal structure being somewhat harder than normal. Nothing that a few minutes of work couldn't repair, he thought to himself. As Korren and the others checked the goblinoids for supplies, Shield decided to search the farmhouse that the hellhounds and the larger hobgoblins came from. Before doing so, he gives a call to the others, saying, "Keep an eye out for that caster, he might return, and we must not be caught off guard." He hoped that Anji would remain hidden until the caster did choose to show himself again, in order to make use of the element of surprise. With that last thought, he pushed open the door to the farmhouse.

Spoiler
    Show
    I leave the looting of the bodies to the rest of the party, and search the farmhouse.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

I rise from the ground, my face red with blood. My blood boils as I begin to swear and curse in a mix of elven and common. Falling in battle pains my ego and destroys my pride. Glancing at me allies I feel even more embarased and hobble over to the nearest tree and rest down against it, trying to calm myself down. "Excuse me..."
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65

MonkGuy

Feeling curious, I make my way to each of the fallen hobgoblins and hellhounds looking for various interesting odds and ends that may be worth turning a profit.

Spoiler
    Show
    I perform a search check to find any items the hobgolbins and hellhounds may hold (1d20+5)[19]
    Last edited by Zato-1; 2008-05-31 at 08:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nebraska put the wand back into the bracer, but did not let his guard down. He remembered that there was still an invisible cleric unaccounted for. He listened carefully for any sound that might reveal his location (should he be around) then took a glance at the forest surrounding him in case the spell had worn off, and the cleric was only hiding.

Spoiler
    Show
    I make a listen check with inspiration, and then a spot check without. Listen: (1d20+15)[30] Spot:(1d20+9)[12]
    Inspiration points used: 1
    Inspiration points remaining: 8
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nebraska James
    Damian Vee'ral
    "Bring on the 4e, bring on the in game options. I loved sitting around tinkering with character builds for hours, but I don't think I'll miss it much. I'm having too damn much fun actually playing the game!"
    -JDillard

7. - Top - End - #67

MonkGuy

After performing a cursory inspection of the bodies I decide to turn my attemtion elsewhere. I saw Shield walking toward the farmhouse and decided that he should at least have some backup if something where to happen, concentrating I cause myself to vanish from view again. I quickly make my way over to the farmhouse. Before I enter, however, I attune my senses to check for any magical auras or strange sounds. I whisper to Shield I'm right next to you. Don't do anything to give away my position. I'll cover you.

Spoiler
    Show
    I use Walk Unseen to turn invisible. I go to the farmhouse but do not enter. I use Detect magic to see if the cleric or any other magic user has cast anything in the farmhouse and perform a listen check to hear any sounds (1d20)[4].
    Last edited by Zato-1; 2008-06-01 at 01:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

The Rank and File Hobgoblins' gear is og generally good craftmanship, the longswords especially so, but you can easily tell that there is something odd about the larger hobgoblin's swords: the hilts show they have seen much use, yet the blades appear freshly made. The regulars also appear well supported, each carrying a small vial with a sweet-smelling liquid inside.

You hear nothing from the interior, but as you open the door a rank smell washes over you, and the source is easily apparent: in the corner are several bodies, some of which appear to be partially eaten. Opposite the bodies is a pile of equipment, most of which is of somewhat shoddy make, the only item of note is a small money pouch.

Spoiler
    Show

Possible loot: 12 Masterwork longswords, 3 longswords, 3 light crossbows, 12 composite longbows(226 arrows), 2 unusual shortswords, 12 potions(Angi, Glyn and Korren know they are cure light wounds, Nebraska may use an inspiration point if he so wishes), pouch of gold(355), 3 sets studded leather armor, 12 heavy steel shields.

Add what you want to your character sheets. Make note of the wieght, though.
    Tell me once you start on the way once more.

9. - Top - End - #69

MonkGuy

Curious about the nature of the unusual shortswords, Anji decides to take a closer look.

Spoiler
    Show
    I make an appraise check to see what I can ascertain about the blades (1d20+2)[8]
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70

MonkGuy

Still curious, I decide to return to the farmhouse anperform a more thorough check of the bodies and equipment.

Spoiler
    Show
    I perform another search check on the dead bodies and shoddy equipment, just to see if there's anything useful (1d20+5)[9]
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Shield, saddened by the loss of life that was incurred by the hobgoblins and their hellhounds, hardens his facial expression. "Anji, get me a lot of wood, and a lot of kindling. Right now. GO!" Shield shouts the last word, expecting it to be followed without question. He was unable to save these people, but he would make sure that their bodies were properly respected.

Korren began sifting through the different items that the party had accrued as a result of the last battle. After grouping all of the items together, he looked about, hoping to find the best way to handle transporting the spoils of battle. "Hey, does anyone have a way to carry all of this? I mean, there is the cart, but what about our packs? And does anyone object to just selling these weapons?"

12. - Top - End - #72

MonkGuy

Startled by Shields sudden outburst, Anji hurried off to gather some wood. He had known Shield long enough to know that he didn't like to see needless death, especially of innocencts. After several trips, Anji had gathered enough wood to make a decent sized bonfire. This is for a funeral Pyre, correct? he asked somberly.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

"Exactly. Gather what little remains of use in this farmhouse, and leave me to my task," Shield told Anji. This was what pained him the most: seeing the defenseless cut down like wheat to the scythe. This was why he had chosen the path he followed, so as to prevent this kind of thing from happening. The whispers returned to plague him as his gaze swept across the interior of the farmhouse: This is all your fault Shield. They died because you were too weak. If you'd just give in to me, I'd make you strong enough to save them all...bring them back to life...end their eternal pain and suffering. The demon began to cackle loudly in his mind, thoroughly enjoying the twisted agony that wracked Shield's form. Get out...I couldn't save them...it wasn't my fault...I WILL make this right... With that, Shield prepared the bodies for the pyre. When all was ready, he lit a torch with his lighter, and threw it into the pile of wood arranged around the corpses. As the farmhouse began to catch, he offered up a prayer for their souls, and turned to leave the house. On his way out, he turned to look at the faces of the victims, at least, those who still had intact faces, and memorized every nuance. If he did make it to the afterlife, he would find them, and apologize for not being able to save them in time. With that, Shield left the farmhouse, and began to stack the bodies of the hobgoblins to the side of the road.

14. - Top - End - #74

MonkGuy

Removing the armaments of the dead bodies from the farmhouse, Anji watched as Shield began piling the wood against the farmhouse. Anji thought that Shield was taking the whole thing harder than he should, after all, judging from the state of the bodies they had been dead long before Anji and the others had arrived in the area. Suddenly guilt started to stab at Anji. He felt angry at himself for first focusing on their possessions rather than giving them final peace. Putting the mixed feelings of anger and pity out of mind, Anji went and rejoined the other members of the group. In regard to your question, Korren, the cart will serve well to transport the loot into town, where Shield will carry our haversacks. I don't believe he will be averse to the task.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Gore reverts to human form Damn, that was fun he says nonchalently.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I still hear something." said Nebraska loudly, warning his allies. "I think its the cleric, but I don't see anything. Got any ideas on how to find him before he finds us?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nebraska James
    Damian Vee'ral
    "Bring on the 4e, bring on the in game options. I loved sitting around tinkering with character builds for hours, but I don't think I'll miss it much. I'm having too damn much fun actually playing the game!"
    -JDillard

17. - Top - End - #77

MonkGuy

Loading items onto the cart, Anji calls back to Nebraska If he is still around, he shouldn't be much of a threat by himself. In any event, We've wasted too much time on this skirmish and should be heading out. We should be able to reach town before sundown.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Striding up to the cart, Shield unslings his Fullblade from his back, and hops onto the cart. He sits down, and begins to work fervently to buff out the dents and dings in his armor, as well as his weapon. He would be at this for some time, due to the nature of the repairs, and the thoughts clouding his mind.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Gore climbs into the cart, absentmindedly whistling an old tavern song his father taught him.

20. - Top - End - #80

MonkGuy

After waiting for everyone to board the cart, Anji gave the signal to his trusty pack mule, Bill, and the cart began to move. Anji felt excited. It seemed like ages since he had been in a town.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Korren hops on the back of the cart and takes a position facing backwards to guard the rear of the column, a habit from the military training of the Warmage college. He whistles nonchalantly as the cart rolls over the charred remains of the hobgoblins he expertly vanquished.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Noting the cramped cart, Shield points out We're gonna need a bigger cart." (Wow, I couldn't resist that one.) Shield turns towards Korren, checking him from sole to crown for injuries. Other than a few minor cuts and bruises, his charge appeared fine. He smiled to himself, or rather, contorted his jaw in such a fashion as he'd seen the other flesh races do. Being an automaton, Shield was unable to comprehend all of the slight nuances between the other races.

He looked out of the cart and saw Nebraska still on the ground. He pulled the human onto the moving platform, and sat him down next to Korren. He patted his new friend on the back for a job well done back at the farmhouse. Before the cart lumbered too far away from the dying blaze, he also extended his arm to pull the brooding half-elf onto the cart as well. He set Glynth down next to Anji, so as to conserve the space in the cart itself.

Finally, they were all on board, and ready to continue on their journey.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

The rest of the journey is uneventful, and you reach the outskirts of Drellin's Ferry as the sun is rinding just over the hills. The road descends into a small town built mostly on the neat side of a broad, sluggish river. Six old stone piers jut from the water, marking the spot where a bridge once stood, but the span itself is long gone. Instead, a couple of long think ropes cross the river, each secured to a flat-bottomed ferryboat. Brown fields and green orchards surround the town.

A group of armed townsfolk-three in leather, on in mail-stands guard, watches you warily, and as you approach the one in mail calls out:
    "Halt and State your buisness, strangers."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Korren stands in the cart, raises both hands in a sign of good nature, and speaks loudly, "Good lords, we are headed to Vraath's Keep on a contractual obligation. My companions and I have just emerged victorious from a skirmish with Hobgoblins on the road. We are in relatively good health, but believe that there may be more in the wilderness, possibly waiting to besiege this town. Please grant us temporary sanctuary in your town, so as we may bandage our wounds, barter our spoils, and possibly provide any aide your town may need should the siege fall on our stay." Korren is surprised to hear his father's voice coming out of his mouth. His guild family had negotiated many such passages and had always followed the same formula: "Clearly state that you are only passing though", "Make it seem that you are in a weakened state", "Imply that imminent danger may be at hand", "Offer to help, should the need arise".

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Shield looked over the group of armed guards in front of him, and took stock of the situation. He was weighing whether they would put up an effective fight, should things get hostile. Noting the way the guards slightly slumped at attention, he could tell these were not the caliber of soldier that Shield was used to fighting alongside. He realized that if things really got out of hand, that more would come, of course, but he was prepared if these four decided to makes things difficult for his charge.

Shield hopped off of the cart, and landed in a crouch. He slowly uncurled himself from this position, rising as he did. When he reached his full height, he was standing a good head taller than the next tallest person among both his party and the armed guards. There would be no problems, thought Shield. He checked his blade at his back, made sure it was secure, and strode up next to Korren, assuming a neutral, yet ready stance.

26. - Top - End - #86

MonkGuy

Anji felt mildly annoyed that he and company had hit this snag. We don't want any trouble. We simply have business in a keep beyond this town, like my comrade said. We would certainly be grateful if you were to let us pass, maybe provide us with information regarding our destination. Do you know anything of a Vraath's Keep? After speaking, I wave my hand and fix my gave on the center guard.

Spoiler
    Show
    I use Charm on the center guard, DC 18
    Last edited by Zato-1; 2008-06-09 at 08:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Gore was annoyed. Now they had come across a problem that could not simply be eviscerated, so he was mostly at a loss for what to do. he decided to be polite but blunt. Pardon, sirs, but we are under contract to clear Vraath's Keep of monsters and recover the deed for our employer. we were very recently attacked by hobgoblins, which I presume to be based out of the keep, unless there is another similarly defensible structure nearby. if you could kindly point us in the direction of a place to stay the night, we can be off to the keep in the morning. Steady, boy. these are just ignorant crap-covered farmers, they don't deserve to die, have to save the slaughtering for the bad guys

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

The gaurd gives a bark of a laugh at the groups apparent confusion in the group, but stops suddenly, blinking a few times, then turns to Anji, speaking with an odd tone."Varrath's keep, eh. Well, be careful. Those forests are crawling with goblins and other creatures.", and then turns to the others that spoke, speaking without the strange tone noticed earlier."You were attacked by Hobgoblins? Where? They've been sneaking around the town for awhile now. You're lucky if you got through. In fact, if you made it through, I think Winston might like to talk to you. If you'd like to stay, the Old bridge Inn is just ahead, on the left, or the Green Apple is on the other side of the square. I'd suggest the Old Bridge, but it's your choice. You can go on through.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charm Person succesful.
    Korren, the head guard also has a grudging respect for you.

29. - Top - End - #89

MonkGuy

Where might we find this... Winston was it? asked Anji curiously.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

THe guard scratches his chin for a moment, obviously in though, Well, he could be at one of the inns, or perhaps....Oh, nevermind, I'd better send a runner. Hey, Jerask, go find the Speaker and tell him that some travelers have come into town and were attacked by hobgoblins.