New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Death vs. Tzeentch

Okay, with all the Warhammer vs threads, I figured, why not?
    Death From Discworld vs The warp god of hope, magic, and insanely overcomplicated plans.
    3 rounds:
    Round 1:
    Warhammer's universe
    Round 2:
    Discworld
    Round 3:
    Eberron.

My money's on Death when he's on his home turf. Theory of Narrative Theory Of Narrative Causality means that, in an epic fight, Good wins most of the time. And compared to almost anyone in 40k, death is on the freaking cover of the BoED. He has a good chance anywhere else too. Death is even more fundamental a force than his opponent's gimmicks, and he's about as tied to death as you could want.

Who you got?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Death vs. Tzeentch

Does Death get the luggage or friends? If so, he always wins.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I don't know.... Death is pretty powerful. She's the last figure to enter the After life in Sandman.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    I don't know.... Death is pretty powerful. She's the last figure to enter the After life in Sandman.
    Not THAT Death, we're talking about DISCWORLD Death.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Oh sorry. Now I have no idea.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    Oh sorry. Now I have no idea.
    Then read Discworld.
    Trust me, you won't regret it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I put my money on Death, he is a figure from a series where ridiculous is normal. If it was more sombre, it would be some kind of draw. Tzeench cannot kill Death (except if it is a strange aeon[/necronomicon reference]), whilst Death would have to destroy every last vestige of hope, magic, change and ambition to destroy Tzeench, and if I know Discworld Death, he isn't going to prematurely take people's lives just for the sake of winning a battle against a being that cannot destroy him.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Mr Teatime came up with plan to kill Death, on his own turf. We didn't see that one in action, but the ridiculously esoteric plan he conceived to kill the Hogfather left Death completely powerless to stop him. It's not a huge step to assume that his plan to kill Death would have been just as effective. Mr Teatime is a cracked psychopath with a funny eye.

Tzeentch is the god of ridiculously complicated, esoteric plans.

These vs threads are just getting increasingly ridiculous. Next it'll be "how many Space Marines could storm Mordor" or some stupid ****.
    Gone, try suptg irc or my TV Tropes page if you want to talk to me for any reason.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LBO View Post
    These vs threads are just getting increasingly ridiculous. Next it'll be "how many Space Marines could storm Mordor" or some stupid ****.
    Give it a week.
    Necromancer avvie by Thecrimsonmage.

You don't kill the purple necromancer. The purple necromancer kills you, and uses your corpse as a draught excluder.

According to Player_Zero, I'm made entirely out of bees. Go figure.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arioch View Post
    Give it a week.
    aand there it is
    to the OP
    1. Tzeetch, Death gets edged out by all the competition and condiering the average imperial mindset, he'd get replaced in a nano
    2. Eventualy Tzeetch wins. a few years before Great A'tun dies of old age (I wonder what death would look like to here, if she died during the events of Reaper man)
    3. Tzeetch
    Last edited by puppyavenger; 2008-05-26 at 06:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger View Post
    aand there it is
    to the OP
    1. Tzeetch, Death gets edged out by all the competition and condiering the average imperial mindset, he'd get replaced in a nano
    2. Eventualy Tzeetch wins. a few years before Great A'tun dies of old age (I wonder what death would look like to here, if she died during the events of Reaper man)
    3. Tzeetch
    Ah, but in Eric, we see that death outlives the universe, even when it runs down to nothing at all but him and, shortly thereafter, a paperclip. Once everything but Death dies, Tzeench is dead. Also, death is WAY more common in Warhammer 40k than Hope. He's got way more people believing in him.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Ah, but in Eric, we see that death outlives the universe, even when it runs down to nothing at all but him and, shortly thereafter, a paperclip. Once everything but Death dies, Tzeench is dead. Also, death is WAY more common in Warhammer 40k than Hope. He's got way more people believing in him.
    Yes, thats why I say replaced, how many people do you think see death as how he acts? He'd either get replaced by some Saint or or a elder horror.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

(...the Nightbringer...)
    Gone, try suptg irc or my TV Tropes page if you want to talk to me for any reason.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LBO View Post
    (...the Nightbringer...)
    I'd pay to see that fight from a safe distance( the next universe, say.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger View Post
    Yes, thats why I say replaced, how many people do you think see death as how he acts? He'd either get replaced by some Saint or or a elder horror.
    Hey, people on the Disc don't see him as he is either, besides magic users, Vimes, and cats. We saw in Reaper Man the death that comes from people's conceptions of Death. He killed it. With an ordinary Scythe. You don't try to replace Death for any job other than Death of Rats if you're smart.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Death is a facet of Azrael, the Angel of Death, to whom the entire 40k universe is ultimately subservient. Death wins. Death always wins.
    [/delusional ravings]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guildorn Tanaleth View Post
    Death is a facet of Azrael, the Angel of Death, to whom the entire 40k universe is ultimately subservient. Death wins. Death always wins.
    And, with Discworld's Death, I'm fairly O.K. with that.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

I really don't understand how Death could lose, it's freaking DEATH. You can't kill Death, and he will live/unlive longer than anyone else possibly could. Even against gods he would still win. You can't beat Death, you can run from him, but eventually, he will find you.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Heck, Death could win just by waiting. Tzeentch requires living sentient beings to feel hope, ambition, curiosity, a desire for change, etc. Death doesn't. All Death has to do is wait for the last sentient being to die, and Tzeentch ceases to exist.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Death cannot destroy Tzeentch. Taking out a universal concept like that is Against The Rules, outside of Disc Death's jurisdiction; that's a job for the Big Death, and he'll only do it when it's time to close up shop on the entire universe. (Although he did once kill rock and roll..probably because it had acquired a localized personification/locus/thingy. And Discworld Death has absorbed a little humanity and has been known to bend The Rules from time to time.) Conversely, Tzeentch cannot directly act against Death with any effect, short of perhaps initiating a universal stasis that would completely end the process of death.. and all other change and thought, so that's a suicidally hat-losing plan.

I think, ultimately, Tzeentch wins the waiting game. Because Tzeentch is a universal concept/being, while Discworld's Death is simply the Death of the Discworld. When all life on the Discworld ends, so does that particular Death. Meanwhile, there can still be life elsewhere in the universe to continue generating Tzeentch. 'course, he still loses out to Azrael eventually, as everything does.

Edit: That's on the Disc and related universe, of course. I've no clue how Death will work if he's transplanted into a different setting with, presumably, different Rules.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2008-05-27 at 02:34 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    I really don't understand how Death could lose, it's freaking DEATH. You can't kill Death, and he will live/unlive longer than anyone else possibly could. Even against gods he would still win. You can't beat Death, you can run from him, but eventually, he will find you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guildorn Tanaleth View Post
    Read Hogfather again.