New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Key of Destiny

1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Key of Destiny

"Why don't I let a kender walk freely through our camp, I wonder? Might be because I'd like my stuff to stay where it is. Bugger off, before I call reinforcements and force you off."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Talia

Suppressing a desire to just punch the impertinent guard, Talia smiles as sweetly as she can manage.

But you don't even know for sure that Pergrin won't want to hear what we have to say. Shouldn't you at least go back and check with him?
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-08-17 at 09:44 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #243

"That'd be a very, very logical reasoning if 'going back' didn't mean I'd have to leave this very spot - thus making it very easy for you to just stroll down right into the camp." The guard replied, before shaking his head and blowing one long note into his whistle. "Called someone else."

4. - Top - End - #244

Another man came running after a minute or so, hand on his weapon. When he noticed there was no threat, he quickly relaxed and gazed at the group. His face was vaguely familiar to Tobin, and when the second guard scowled, the kender was finally able to place it: he was one of the two man there on the previous day.

"They insist on meeting Pegrin."
    "What about?"
    "To offer help, they say." He was obviously doubtful, and from the new guard's expression, he was in agreement with his companion. He turned to the group.
    "Pegrin's busy. I'll get Derg."

He immediately left, coming back another two minutes later with a small man with short brown hair and a sly, bored look about him. "I'm Derg, Pegrin's lieutnant. State your business and be quick aboot it."

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

Nodding to William, Vazler walked forward again. "I am Sir Vazler, of the Solamnic Knights. We have a proposition for Pegrin - an object we believe in his possession is of great interest to us, and we would be willing to aid him against the Knights of Neraka that seem to want his head so badly. We share a common enemy, and stand to aid each other."

Rolls for DM/OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay! I thought I was pretty reasonable. Let's have ourselves a diplomacy check here.

Diplomacy Check - (1d20+7)[19]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Master Yoda - 99% (Wow. Talk about similarities. )

Brilliant Avatar - and alternative version of said avatar - of my Drow, Orthae D'Nilok, by The Stoney one.

6. - Top - End - #246

Derg raised his eyebrows and leaned back some, before asking. "What makes you think Pegrin's wanted? Or that you can help him?" He clucked his tongue and shook his head. "Why would we trust you, a Solamnic Knight? We are bandits: we steal for a living. You are oath-bound to defend those we attack."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

"I am aware of that point, Derg, and I do not approve of your group's means of earning a living. At the same time, there are greater evils at hand, and more pressing problems. Concerning what I can do for him - if he requires something from the town, or from the dark knights, I would be happy to collect it for him at no risk to himself. And if I were to fail - no loss to yourselves." Sir Vazler argued.
    Spoiler
    Show

Brilliant Avatar - and alternative version of said avatar - of my Drow, Orthae D'Nilok, by The Stoney one.

8. - Top - End - #248

"A service for an item, eh?" Derg repeated, visibly interested. "Very well, there is a small shop called Omar's Oddities in Pashin. It is held by a half-ogre woman called Klaudia Lorn, who's been less than cooperative in the past few weeks. We've found someone else for our little traffic, so she's of little use now."

He began walking back the path, calling nonchalantly "Go ahead and kill her off. Then you can have whatever you want." Vazler had the vague impression Derg was playing with him, though the lieutnant sounded sounded quite serious.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

Vazler's response was quick and stern. "No. I told you the terms - something against a common warranted enemy. I will not become a killer for a bandit. If you want something retrieved - not stolen - or you want something done against the Dark Knights, then we can come to an agreement. Other than that - I cannot perform."
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250

"Aah, but I wouldn't present you with a target completely beyond you." Derg said with a smirk. "This half-ogre, she's been quite welcoming to the new regime. She's been giving them magical potions and healing them for very little money."

Spoiler
    Show
    Now would be the time for Knowledge (Local) checks on Old Omar's Oddities and its owner, guys. Oh, and Bardic Knowledge for Tobin.
    Last edited by Annalia; 2008-08-21 at 11:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

Rolls for DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Local - (1d20+1)[6]
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

William Jackson

William listened to the conversation. He felt at ease as the conversation at least took a direction in which there was less dealing with suspicion and more with progress towards their goal, even if they had to do something for it. William's eyes widened at the task of just blatantly killing someone and he seemed a bit shocked from it, after which he looked at Sir Vazler, who brought a somewhat relieving response William. As the conversation moves on, William starts to think about Old Omar's Oddities and what he may know of it.

Rolls for DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (local): (1d20+6)[12] 12
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2008-08-21 at 12:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin thinks about what he heard about this half-ogre from his kender freinds yesterday.

Spoiler
    Show
    alright bardic knowledge (d20+2)[16] then I'll post something a bit more detailed.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

14. - Top - End - #254

Not being from town, Sir Vazler has never heard of Klaudia Lorn before. He knew Old Omar's Oddities as a apotecary-like shop, but that was the extent of his knowledge.

Having been around town more, William knew a bit more. Old Omar's was the way to go when one wanted to acquire potions, bandages and the odd object. He would not be surprised if Pegrin's group had indeed tried to resell objects there. Klaudia Lorn remained a more mysterious figure: he remembered a muscled and rather stern woman, but that was it.

Tobin's contact, however, served him well. The kenders he spent the morning with yesterday had a few interesting stories to tell, and had eagerly shared them.

Spoiler
    Show
    PM sent with more personal and relevant info. If you don't have one, well, you don't have anything relevant you know.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin

Tobin pipes up eager to give his opinon on such an important matter. I don't think we should go kill Klaudia, I like her because she treats kender the same way she treats the Dark Knights. It is very rare that you meet someone who is so fair to kender like that. Granted she always kicks us out the moment she sees us but that's nothing new.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2008-08-21 at 03:03 PM.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

The squire glanced to the kender, before his eyes widened slightly and he looked from him to Derg. "Kicks the kender - and the dark knights out. You would have us kill someone and lie to get us to do it? Draw your blade, scoundrel - I will have you here and now for your treachery."

The squire put his hand to his longsword hilt, scowling at the shorter man. "Take up arms, Cretin - I challenge you to a duel."
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257

"Ah, well, it was worth a try." Derg said with a smirk and a shrug. He untied a strip of cloth from his belt and used it to bring his hair back, revealing two mildly-pointed ear. Seemingly relaxed, he drew out a shortsword and waved it teasingly at Vazler. "Come on, then. Save your honour."

The two other guards also drew out their weapons and moved around a bit, but they only kept an eye on the rest of the party as Derg stepped forward. One of them blew once more in his whistle, no doubt calling for another man.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - from everyone. That way, if you want to get involved at any point, we'll know when it'll happen.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin

Tobin begins cheering for Sir Vazler as he takes out his sling and prepares to fight.

Spoiler
    Show
    K roll for initative (d20+4)[23]
    Do we have a plan? I was thinking of using my bardic song to give us a boost, but I don't want to get the other guards involved till the duel is finished. First round Tobin will just wait.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2008-08-21 at 04:53 PM.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler - Initiative: 17 HP: 9 AC: 19

"My honour was never lost to lies and deceit - only yours, long ago." Vazler retorted, drawing his weapon, raising his shield and pressing the attack with his foe.

OOC/Planning/Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Concerning a plan - if you guys want to get involved, you can, but Vazler would appreciate duelling his opponent honourably. Also, 'cheerleading' (see also: Bardic Song buffs ) would be appreciated. So - draw the sword as move action, five-foot step as a free action, then attack.

Initiative - (1d20+1)[17]
    Attack Roll - (1d20+3)[15]
    Critical Confirmation - (1d20+3)[9]
    Damage Roll - (1d8+3)[4]
    Critical Damage - (1d8+3)[8]
    Last edited by Parrallathan; 2008-08-21 at 03:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

William Jackson
    Initiative: 2, AC: 15, HP: 5

William saw what unfolded before him, where Sir Vazler challenged him to a duel. William obviously sighed, shaking his head mildly, after which he but shrugged. Seeing the companions of Derg taking out their blades, William unsheathes his longsword as well, though seems to be slow in this action, as if he is slow to take the initiative with things unfolding a tad too quick around him to follow appropriately and react in a timely fashion. He points the tip of the blade towards the ground, setting it slightly in the dirt as his hands lean on the hilt, ready to leap up the blade in a moment's notice if the companions were to leap into assault. Other than that, William also grabs his heavy wooden shield, but remains calm, for now. If Sir Vazler wants that duel, he can have it. Looking to the companions of Derg, William also made sure to look about the area, making sure that he had a fair chance to spot any reinforcements coming, if it did not come into a full battle before that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20-1)[2] 2
    Draw sword and shield for first round.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2008-08-21 at 04:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ivestka One-Named, Kagonesti Barbarian

Iv glared at Derg and opened her mouth to snarl at him. She was interrupted by Sir Vazler's challenge, and restrained herself. Drawing her greatsword, the barbarian stepped to the side to guard her companion's flank should other bandits get involved.

Combat Info:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (d20+3)[23]

Draw sword and move to prevent Vazler from being flanked, but otherwise stay out of the fight.
    Last edited by TwoCents; 2008-08-22 at 12:40 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262

Initiative!
    Tobin - 23
    Ivestka - 23
    Vazler - 17
    Derg - 9
    Talia - 5+
    Bandit - 5
    William - 2
    Caminus - 1

Dueling Fight - Round 1

As Derg accepted the duel, Tobin and Ivestka prepared themselves for an incoming fight, in case the two other guards would decide to intervene.

Sir Vazler quickly acted, stepping forward and slashing at the mocking lieutnant. Derg's smug smile quickly disappeared as the Solamnic sword cut through his armour, opening a gash in his side. He quickly countered with a short stab, which Vazler easily deflected with his shield.

Talia also drew her weapon and stayed at the ready, while the bandit watched the fight with surprised eyes. They visibly had expected Derg to be faster on his feet and end the battle quickly, and were now hesitating as to what to do.

They held off, and William had time to find a good spot to watch for reinforcements. Caminus leaned on a nearby tree silently and watched the fight, apparently unconcerned by its issue.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here goes another battle! I hope Toli won't mind if I assume Talia does as everyone else (draw weapon and wait) in order to move on.

Derg has so far taken 4 damage.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Talia

Wow. And I thought I was all smite-first-ask-questions-later. Keep forgetting how seriously he takes all of this. All of it.

Talia is as circumspect as it's possible to be when drawing a greatsword. She takes up a position next to one of the other guards to watch, wary about the possibility of his interference.

Spoiler
    Show
    Basically, readying an action to attack the guard if he tries to interfere with the Zerg/Vazler fight.

Thanks for moving me ahead, Annalia!
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

William Jackson
    Initiative: 2, AC: 15, HP: 5

William continues to look about, scanning to see if there are any reinforcements coming. Between gazes around, he does try to make sure he keeps a good enough look on those around him. Keeping his blade pointed downwards, he remains on edge, ready to strike if somebody attacks him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Active Spot Check to see reinforcements, as well as readying to strike if attacked.
    Spot: (1d20-1)[9]

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin

Tobin begins yelling at Deng still keeping his cheerful tone of voice. Ha! That wiped the grin off your ugly face. What's the matter, can't you manage to fight someone one on one? I bet even I could beat you in a fair fight!

Spoiler
    Show
    Tobin will use the taunt ability on Deng to give him -1 to hit and to his AC for 1 round if he fails sense motive. (d20+7)[24]
    Sorry for the bad insults but I couldn't think of anything better.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ivestka One-Named, Kagonesti Barbarian

"Save your life, fool, and concede the point to the knight. Unless it is that you are tired of seeing the dawn. Such a one as you would not have the right to choose for your band, so take us to Pegrin and stop these childish games," Iv said grumpily.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler Initiative: 17 AC:19 HP: 9

The squire pressed the advantage, pushing aside the half-elf's blade as it came in to strike, coming down with a clean vertical slice across the torso, shield raised and ready to intercept at a moment's notice. His focus was in the duel now - and there it would stay until either he or the rapscallion were bested.

OOC/Dice Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack Roll - (1d20+3)[16]
    Critical Confirmation - (1d20+3)[15]
    Damage Roll - (1d8+3)[9]
    Critical Damage - (1d8+3)[10]
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268

Initiative!
    Tobin - 23
    Ivestka - 23
    Vazler - 17
    Derg - 9
    Talia - 5+
    Bandit - 5
    William - 2
    Caminus - 1

Dueling Fight - Round 2

As Ivestka advised Derg to draw out of the fight, Tobin began calling names at the bandit lieutnant. Distracted, the half-elf turned to them and was about to reply when Vazler's sword came in hard and fast. He choked and run his hand over the bloodied gash before staring at it increduously. With a groan, Derg collapsed.

"By Hiddukel's glib tongue! Fall back, fall back!" The original guard called as Derg fell. He was visibly surprised and immediately backed away, blowing repeated notes in his whistle.

Unless anybody stops them, the two guards will retreat without attacking, leaving their dying lieutnant there.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

"Stop! I have no intention of further combat!" The squire called out, catching Derg by the shoulder before he collapsed entirely. Shifting his sword to his shield arm, he placed a hand on Derg and channelled some of Kiri-Jolith's magic.

Satisfied that Derg wouldn't die, he glanced up to the pair of retreating men. "Allow me to take Derg to Pegrin, and try to come to reasoning with him concerning what we need. We have no further need for bloodshed."

OOC/Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Cure Minor Wounds on Derg and attempting to convince the lackies with use of diplomacy, including any circumstantial penalties/bonuses from defeating/stabilising Derg.
    Diplomacy - (1d20+7)[20]
    Last edited by Parrallathan; 2008-08-24 at 04:37 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270

The guard paid him no heed, quickly making their way back towards the camp. The snow hindered their process somewhat, but the constant, shrill sound from the whistles had no doubt alarmed the nearby encampment already. Clearly, there would be no further discussion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thought I'd remind everyone it's kind of winter. I forgot, so others must have. No more than a foot of snow, though, as this isn't so far north.