New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pius Fidelus: The Oque

Turn 10.8, Group 4, Ardannis

Quick as he was, Ardannis moved in and was able to grab the young child and sweep in the nearest tree, saving the child. In the tree, Ardannis can see how two of the beasts are now fighting amongst each other with their tusks. The third is rumbling around the base of the tree Ardannis is in while the other two continue their fight for a while. Eventually, they break up after one wins. Retreating to the forest, Ardannis can see that no other Oque has been hurt and they all got away safely. While it took a while to catch up with the group again, the parents of the child are very happy to see Ardannis having saved Puk. "Wert happy! Ipt safe! Ardannis good." "Naft happy! Ipt safe! Ardannis good!" "Nit happy! Ipt safe! Ardannis good!" of the trio, who each take care of the others children, it is Wert who quickly takes Ipt again from Ardannis to calm the scared child down again. Putting Ipt on top of himself, Wert is obviously the parent that birthed Ipt. Ipt still sobs a bit, but eventually calms down and seems to try to get to sleep.

After this event, the Oque in the group seem somewhat more interested in Ardannis. In the time Ardannis spends after this, he notices they sooner pay attention and listen more to what he has to say. They seem very happy that he saved Ipt. Meanwhile, Puk comes by with a question. "Why save Puk?" He asks, because the other Oque were running from the beasts. While Puk does not state it, he asks because Ardannis could have gotten hurt.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ardannis, Turn 10.8, Group 4

Ardannis grins at Puk. Ardannis is god. Beast can not kill god. Ardannis safe. He help Ipt because no danger.

When they return to the rest of the group, Ardannis explains what they can learn. Oque see beasts? Beasts have hooves. Beast with hooves no climb. Oque see beast with hooves, climb to get away, not run. Later, he asks them about Quax - if they know they possess it, and what they think of it.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

3. - Top - End - #333

Ark, group 1, 10.4 (I assume)

After the group has calmed down, Ades moves towards them and presents himself. "My name is Ades. I am Akam's sibling. The one that brought the Oque. I, too, bring you Oque to teach you. Once more, about Quax, but not only about Quax.

Ridst, Flarts, Menjt? Would you care to go into this group and further their knowledge of responsibility? It's extremely important for them to know that before anything else. Once you think a trio of Oque understands the concept, you can start teaching them how to use jolts. Don't forget to tell them about Sunoque and Childbeing as well. I am going to the other group with Uvkt, Wopt and Vjidt now."

As he begins to turn away, he looks back and smiles, looking towards the Oque. "Oh, and -this- is a token of Childbeing's generosity: Pollen!"

And aiming at a fruit tree or green tree that he knows the Oque find edible, it will grow and bear wholesome fruits and greens, after which Ades, the story-teller, leaves the three Oque to tell this group the basics, reminding them he will come back to pick them up at around 10.9.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pollen, Lesser. (Two level 1 miracles used)

Ark, group 2, 10.4

As Ades and the three Oque approach the second group of Oque, he finds his welcome shortlived. Not recognising him and simply running away fast from the creature, Ades sighs slightly and turns to Uvkt, Wopt and Vjidt.

"This is roughly what you should expect from them. They're far worse at the moment than the other ones. Though... I have reserved you for this group because I feel you are very knowledgeable and will make excellent teachers. Start with Quax... don't tell them of Sunoque just yet, they might not understand. Start with Quax, work your way towards huts... and if you can... finish up on teaching what I started about responsibility. I will stay with you for maybe a month. Once that is done, you can work like Ridst, Flarts and Menjt towards jolts, Sunoque and Childbeing. But it will be some time before that. I will come back in '(10.9)' for you and bring you back."

As the other Oque settle down, Ades approaches them.

"Beep! I am Ades. Akam is my sibling. Smaller than me, took down beasts and told the Oque to defend themselves. Helped find food with Oque. I come back with Oque to teach you about Quax, as I promised."

As the two groups of different Oque meet, Ades sits down, sighins slightly, brushing hair past his ear, looking the crowd of the group over. I think I should give those groups names... I might get confused otherwise. Ah well... later.

Before he lets Uvkt, Wopt and Vjidt start their teaching, he first shows them how he does it, speaking in a rather crude way:

"I teach you about responsibility... trust and Friends. Oque like you, screams 'beast'. Other Oque they know without seeing beast, they run without seeing beast, Oque trust Oque. Oques are friends. Responsibility is Oque caring for child. Oque that knows care for Oque that does not know."

And Ades continues in this fashion, giving examples within stories of all kinds that he once told group 13 when they didn't know much either. Once he is done or it looks like he isn't going anywhere, he lets the Oque start teaching them about Quax, himself telling stories of responsible Oque to any younglings or adults interested, helping the group with food as well as defending them from beasts until he finally bids his farewell and leaves in a radiant globe of light in 10.5.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 10.8, Group 4, Ardannis

Puk looks amazed at Ardannis and follows Ardannis as he goes off to explain abou the beasts. When he remarks that they have hooves and that they can not climb, they are amazed at his knowledge. "Wow! Ardannis good." Says Puk with it, and this is agreed upon by other Oque. When Ardannis later asks about Quax, none of the Oque know what Quax is. In fact, Puk even asks Ardannis: "What Quax?"

Turn 10.4, Group 1, Ark

Ridst, Flarts and Menjt agree with Ades' suggestion and stay with the group. They seem surprised when Ades' suggestion of teaching jolt, thinking that huts would be more useful. Still, they do not feel like going against what the Story Teller has to say. They will tell the group of Sunoque and Childbeing and already walk amidst the group as Ades speaks up again. They, and the group, look amazed as the fruits and greens grow on a tree and drop off. Amazed, they look how Ades leaves once again. During the turn, the trio of Ridst, Flarts and Menjt will teach the Oque in the group with vigor and determination. They tell of Sunoque and Childbeing, they tell of responsibility and they tell of Quax and jolt.

The Oque of group 1 are very surprised with such knowledgeable Oque, but perhaps even more with their behaviour. They are strong not just in body, but in mind. They are determined and caring. With their kind behaviour, they show the group a lofty example and teach in a kind and dedicated manner. Ridst sometimes has difficulties with teaching, even finding frustration as the Oque of the group are either stupid or don't understand him. Yet, Ridst and Menjt are there to support him and he hangs on. However, the teaching is exhausting due to the huge difference in knowledge and understanding between the Oque. They do state this to Ades when he comes to pick them up again. But, they seem successful, as the Oque of the group show a starting capability with Jolt, have developed their language further and have learned about Sunoque and Childbeing. They look up to Ades with more amazement now, even.

Turn 10.4, Group 2, Ark

The Oque do not understand the concept of 'month', but during the time Ades remains, they seem happy to have him around. Ades handles several questions and the Oque of the group seem to prefer stories told by the stranger, for even Uvkt, Wopt and Vjidt tell of Ades as being the Story Teller. They start to work with explaining Quax and huts, and let Ades tell more stories about storytelling in the beginning. They do pick it up and tell stories they know as well, those which were first told by Oque.

By the time Ades leaves the group, he already notices that Uvkt and Vjidt seem to be better in explaining their own skill and seem to suffer a bit from the other responsibilities on them. During the time they are with the group, they seem to really suffer from the primitive nature of this group. They have to completely explain Quax, have to work towards better language, and it is frustrating them when the Oque of the group do not understand. Wopt is helpful and continues to teach the Oque, not really having the same problem. Therefore, Wopt is often there to provide support to Uvkt and Vjidt, though this does take energy from Wopt as well.

Because of this, the teachings have not fared as well. The language of the group is certainly better now, and they have gained a starting knowledge in quax, warping wood and building huts, as well as a starting sense of responsibility. However, all three Oque send to this group are mentally exhausted from the harsh experience. They seem relieved when Ades comes to pick them up, who in turn seems to met with more curiousity by the group.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha 8.8

Sedha appears near a group of Oque who displayed the ability to make both huts and light, however, she stays hidden out of sight in the shadows. (Whether or not this group had made contact before is not considered in choosing it.)

"Greetings Oque. I Sedha. Sedha not beast. Speak like Oque, but look different. Want learn from Oque, and help Oque in return. Make hurt Oque better."

6. - Top - End - #336

Ark, Turn 10.9, Group 1, Group 2 and journey back

Finally, Ades returns to the Oque of group 1 and 2, behaving in the same way for the two different groups, approaching calmly and declaring that it is time for the Oque that have taught them so far to go home.

"I hope you have learned more of Quax, for that power that lies sleeping within you conceals incredible potential. I will return later for you, perhaps with other Oque. For now, I will go, but I invite you to come with us, for the food is more plentiful where we are going, and you will be closer to your mentors, learning from not only them, but other students like yourselves about responsibility, Quax.. Ark.. Sunoque and Childbeing."

Helping the trios of Oque to gather their children and prepare for the trip, he will give the Oque of group 1 and 2 the opportunity to come along with them, protecting them along the way and assisting with finding food as he usually does. They finally set out to l19, returning home.
    A Revenant

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 10.9, Group 1-2, Ark

Group 2 did not accept Ades' invitation, not wanting to go out of the familiar area. Group 1, however, did accept Ades' invitation, due to the good influence from the kind Ridst, Flarts and Menjt. They moved along with the two trio's and Ades to the other region, though this did mean that the travel was much slow now, since they had to take time to search for food. In the new area, Group 1 felt less comfortable, but was eased through it by the two trio's, though less by the trio of Uvkt, Wopt and Vjidt, who were mentally exhausted.

End of Turn 10

Group 1 stayed in the area around Group 2. In the time the two trio's were gone, the fourth trio had given birth to children. They were prepared to guide Group 1 and took their children with them. The trio of Uvkt, Wopt and Vjidt were pretty broken and needed a lot of rest before they could be meaningful again. Ridst, Flarts and Menjt were faring better and started to concentrate on eating, so they could birth children as well. The first trio, Njert, Vladst and Kpadt have grown older, have had children and are just going about their daily business now. Kpadt seems to suffer from an illness, though, and is usually found stumbling around.

In the beginning of the new turn, Ark can also notice that there is a new symbol in the center of the village, next to the symbol of Sunoque. It looks like a wooden version of the symbol Ades had drawn earlier in the ground and which represented Childbeing. It was a bit smaller than the symbol of Sunoque though.

Meanwhile, Group 13 continued to move through their different settlements. They grew plants, though relied heavily on gathering food still. In the area around group 13 moved group 1, aided by the fourth trio from group 13 and their children. Within group 13, the children of Njert, Vladst and Kpadt seem to have become those of a responsible type as well. Also noteworthy is that in group 13, huts have become of better quality. The development of the huts has continued since Storm and are sturdy and durable. They serve their purpose well and offer room enough for a trio and children, plus some visitors. They seem, considering the intelligence of the Oque, on par with their current intellectual capabilities. This means that it is unlikely the Oque will manage to improve their architectural skills without getting smarter first.

A similar development with huts is noticeable in all the groups which make effective use of huts. Groups 5-8, 17-24, 29-33, they all have improved their hut-building skills. Only group 19, 20 and 33 have stayed behind, due to staying together and needing to travel a lot. However, this has changed since recently. Group 22 has been travelling around, trying to find the other groups to make them pay again, but only found groups that knew nothing of them. However, the real urge has been out of the group for a while already. They just were not happy with their current situation. When they stumbled upon group 19, 20 and 33, they decided to join up. However, because four groups was too much to travel with closely, they split up in two groups of two. 19, 20 and 22, 33 were the duo's that were now travelling close together. The two duo's were still within a few days travel, but this allowed for better food gathering and making use of hut capabilities.

Due to the meet up of group 22 and group 19, 20 and 33, their intelligence increased as they challenged each other in wits. They also challenged each other in muscles, but this just led to two leaders for the different duo's. The capability of jolt was exchanged between the groups as well and both group 19, 20 and 33, as well as group 22, found that the knowledge of the other was useful to enhance their jolts. Within group 29-33, jolt was enhanced as well, in the guard groups who ahd been specifically training to enhance their jolts.

Meanwhile, Group 2 and 4 were influenced by Immortals and saw their vocabulary increase, as well as their general intelligence. Especially the children were reaping the benefits from this.

Turn 11.x, Group 29, Sedha

When Sedha was looking around, she approached one of the groups who showed they were capable of making huts and light. There were other groups and even other groups who were capable of making huts and light, but had not shown the capability to make huts due to constant travel. So, Sedha approached this group. She had seen a few signs on warped wooden sheets, she had seen huts of a good quality and she had seen light flicker in the evenings. When she appeared and spoke up, the nearby Oque were about to jump up in the tree, but when she spoke, they calmed down. One of them spoke up.

"Beep, Sedha. Is Sedha an Immortal? Only Immortals speak like Oque. Oque are happy to teach and get help. But Trusk will get Strakft, because Strakft is leader and will want to hear about this and meet Sedha." And with that said, Trusk goes off to get Strakft. Strakft is one of the children of Brast, the previous leader of this group. While Trusk is gone, Sedha hears the other Oque speak to each other, with a much better vocabulary than group 3. They seem to know something about Immortals and Sedha can clearly hear the name of Ardannis being spoken. After a while, Trusk returns with Strakft, who in turn is accompanied by two other Oque. Strakft then spoke up.

"Beep, Sedha. Trusk told me Sedha spoke, like an Immortal. Is Sedha an Immortal? If Sedha not hurt Oque, Sedha can stay so that Sedha can learn from Oque, and Oque can learn from Sedha."

8. - Top - End - #338

Turn 11.3, group 13

Ades is equipped with Ark's Morphing Cloth

A great green halo of light descends from the heavens. Inside the shaft, a globe in the form of a cocoon slowly descends finally hovering around 5 feet off the ground, opening up to a huge creature that the Oque can recognise as Ades, he greets the Oque as usual, but something is slightly strange about him, he is covered in something.

Approaching the Oque, he explains it is Cloth and he wears it. He explains it can prevent you from hurting yourself and that it is nice to keep warm. Going to see each trio for news, he notices the new symbol and smiles broadly to the Oque.

"Let us hope that all Oque will soon know about Sunoque and Childbeing."

Uvkt, Wopt and Vjidt

"Thank you for all the help you have given. I know it was a hard task, yet you did well in coping with that group. Please, enjoy those fruits ((Ark uses pollen, lesser on a fruit tree he knows the Oque find edible)) in return and rest plenty."

Ridst, Flarts and Menjt

As the Oque start eating, Ades turns his attention to them, he leads them a distance away to as big a fruit tree as he can find for his miracle and casts his power, closing his eyes, the tree growing ever so slightly and suddenly bearing fruits for the Oque to eat.

"Please, take all of them, this is but a small token of my gratitude, and Childbeing would want me to help you have children."

Njert, Vladst and Kpadt

When he sees Kpadt in a bad position, he counsels him to drink Waterbeing to feel a bit better. He also turns to the children that have grown as responsible as their parents, congratulating them, but adding this:

"I am proud, and your parents should be proud. You are an example to your fellow Oque. However, do not forget this. In taking care of the young, your parents have shown their valor. But there comes a point where the parents become old and themselves need help, and the younglings help them in return for all that their parents have given them. Do not forget your elders! Learn all you can from them and help them, Njert Vladst and Kpadt are wise and were among the first to teach the Oque abroad."

He then continues with Kpadt, counselling some more rest in his hut, and Ades will bring him juicy fruits and care for him while he is there, generally staying outside the tent and telling stories of Sunoque and Childbeing, loud enough so Kpadt can hear, and if any of his children are there, he will care for them and play games with them, he teaches them one.

The game is called "Boop!", it involves 3 little rocks that look different. 3 players are needed, a trio, and one of the Oque throws the 3 rocks on the ground between the players. One rock represents Sunoque, one other Childbeing, and they are both good. But one bad rock represents Stormchildren. The one that threw is the one that knows which one is the bad rock. To tell which one it is, the players take it in turns, starting with the player that is closest to the most rocks. He can take one guess, lifting up one rock and asking the 3rd Oque. The 3rd Oque cannot say Yes or No, but can only give hints about the rock.

"For example, if the rock your friend picked is Sunoque, then you should say: Light. Oque. Sky. Storm fighter. Just one hint."

He pauses.

"If the rock is childbeing, then you should say: Children. Born. Ark. Water Drinker."

The point was to eventually institute games as a way for children to develop their mental faculties as well as teach them about basic facts of the stories that they may not yet understand. Meaning the games are a sort of 'primary school'.

"Whenever someone think he knows which one is Stormbeing, he says Boop! If he is right, his opponent goes to Sunoque and Childbeing's symbol and should say sorry! If he is wrong, he does the same!"

4th Oque trio

"Beep! How are your children? I was thinking that you might be ready for some teaching in the other Oque group, what do you say?"
    A Revenant

9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha 11.0

The god of travel... of course. Ardannis had clearly taught these Oque well... Sedha felt rather bad for isolating the Oque that followed her. She would have to do something about that in the future. Hm. It would be hard to teach them about sound without Tek's cocoon, and she did not feel safe borrowing it back from group 3.

She turns to Strakft. "Yes, I am an immortal, one of Darkness and Mercy. I have no wish to hurt you. I have come from a group of Oque, who do not know how to make shelters and create light as you have. These are very useful skills, and I want to learn how to teach the other Oque how to do such things, so they may lead better, safer lives.

"In return, I can travel with you, and drive off Beasts while I travel with you, teach you how to hide your huts when you make them so the Beasts cannot find you, heal your wounded during this time, and teach you how to do the same.
    "

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 11.3, Group 13

The Oque look amazed from Ades, who returns from the sky basking in light. They indeed ask what it is he has. When he explains about Cloth, they wonder about it and ask about it. However, they do realise that the cloth Ades wears is not suitable for them.

As Ades visits the trios, Uvkt, Wopt and Vjidt, as well as Ridst, Flarts and Menjt, they are grateful of the fruits be carries, though not those he brings from his pollen miracle, for they are overripe. Kpadt takes the advice of Ades and goes to drink. The children of Njert, Valdst and Kpadt, are already older and adult. But they listen attentively to Ades and one of them already goes to help Kpadt. "Oque will do what Ades says and take care of Oque parents."

Kpadt seems very happy with the aid both his children, as well as Ades, are giving him from that point. He rests and sleep well, but at one point asks that Ades gives him some peace and quiet, so that he does not have to hear the stories again. Ades moves with the children he has gathered to another place and explains the game. They listen closely and try to repeat what Ades has shown.

One Oque, Nkuft, throws up a rock, while the two others, Erst and Wrta, think as they look at the rocks. One seems a bit flatter than the others, while another looks a bit more pointy, and the third looks pretty average. Erst picks a rock up, the flat one. "Sky." Wrta picks up the average one. "Parent." Erst than points at the third rock and says "Stormchildren." "Yes." With a smile, Erst then sees Wrta walk to the symbols and hears Wrta say "Sorry!"

At first, the game was played a lot, but eventually the children got the game and found it too easy. New children would play it occassionally, taught by their parents how to do it to give some basic thought about it, but despite that, it does not become a very popular game, besides the first enthustiastic reaction. It is just a rather easy game, since the hints are relatively easy, and a lot depends on who starts first.

When Ades goes to find the fourth Oque trio, he does not find them. He hears from the other Oque that they are already with the other group (group 1).

Turn 11.0, Group 29, Sedha

"Which other Oque does Sedha speak of? Which group of Oque? Oque know that other Oque are further away, in another part of the forest. There are no groups of Oque nearby, thus to go to another group of Oque would mean a long travelling time. As for learning how to teach other Oque.. Ardannis does not have Quax and if Sedha does not have Quax either, it would be best of Oque teach Oque. However, there is another group which we will not teach, because they are dangerous.

As for what Sedha says, is it not better if Sedha stays with the other group to drive off beasts and heal them, as well as teach them the things you suggest to teach? Still, Oque would like to help Sedha in teaching other Oque, if it is not a dangerous group and they are not too far away. Strakft will need to tell Fzangt about this, before Oque do this, though.
    "
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2008-06-24 at 03:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha 11.0

"I would be happy to bring them here. It is just that they are quite far away. If Fzangt approves of this, I would happily guide the other group of Oque over here. And don't worry, they have no interest in- or capability to for that matter- in harming anybody, at least as far as I can tell."
    Last edited by pseudovere; 2008-06-24 at 04:32 PM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 11.0, Group 29, Sedha

"Sedha, does Strakft understand correctly: the Oque of that group do not know about Jolt? Strakft would like the answer to that question, but Strakft will ask Fzangt. Fzangt is not with this group now and it will take a while before Strakft can reach Fzangt. However, if what Sedha tells is true, then Fzangt will really want to help the Oque of that group. Bring them here, Strakft will tell Fzangt of this. Oque will wait for other Oque." Tells Strakft. After Sedha gives the answer and is off to get the other group, Strakft will tell six Oques that they have to hurry to Fzangt and tell him of this. The next time Sedha and the group comes around, it will be a very high chance that Fzangt will be with the group.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha 11.0

"The Oque I know have never seen -the jolt you call it?- much less know how to use it. If that is all, I will go to meet the group that I have spoken of, and, will return to you with them in a while. Would you imagine that until [11.1] would be enough time for Fzangt to return?"

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

11.0, Group 29, Sedha

"Strakft will tell Fzangt of it and Fzangt will return soon enough. Fzangt will be around at that time, but if the other Oque are far, Strakft does not think the other Oque will be here at that time." And with that said, Sedha can go to get the other group.

While most Oque groups are in m19, Group 3 and Group 29 are in l19. This means that travel can take about 0.1 of a turn for Group 3.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2008-06-25 at 02:05 AM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha 11.1

Sedha leaves group 29, and makes her way back to group 3.

Upon reaching group 3, she steps out of the shadows.

"Greetings Oque. Sedha talk with other Oque, and other Oque want teach. Oque can learn how to make light, how make safe places to hide from beasts and storms. Other Oque want meet you. Oque want Sedha lead them to other Oque?" She decided not to mention that they could learn from their language, but she couldn't think of a polite way to say that.
    Last edited by pseudovere; 2008-06-25 at 01:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 11.1, Group 3, Sedha

When Sedha appears before group 3, most of them try to hide in the trees upon viewing her. A few do not and start to say: "Beep! Being Sedha! Sedha return? Sedha saved Oque." With that, the other Oque do remember what they have heard about Sedha, how she led them to a place with more food, how she protected them before and how she brought Sound. And Sound is the artefact Sedha gave them. When Sedha tells what she offers, the Oque seem hesitant at first, but because Sedha has aided them greatly before, they accept. "Oque meet Oque." The whole group moves along with Sedha, towards the other group, which they reach in 11.2. However, the group does not wish to dash with their full number towards the group and a few hours travel, they send two trio's to go with Sedha towards the group. And of the two trio's, they suggest that Sedha announces their arrival first.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tumine Barok, turn 11.6

Tumine returns to where she last left Group 7 all that time ago, and searches them out, take as long as it might. She is also looking for Group 8, and will search for both relatively close to the river first and foremost.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

18. - Top - End - #348

Ardannis, groups 29-32, Turn 11.1

Ardannis swings down from the trees in his usual fashion. Greeting the Oque, the first news he hears is likely of Sedha. He responds to this with a smile, Wonderful. She can teach you things I cannot, as I teach things she has no knowledge of. Is she here?

Remembering some of Sedha's gifts, Ardannis devises a new game, to be perfected when Sedha returns. Teams of Oque attempt to get past the patrolling guards of each village, to retrieve a painted stick just outside the village and return it to the village center without being detected by the guards. Even more prestigous is for a group to get into another village center and return the differently painted stick kept in the village center. The idea is to improve the Oque capacity for stealth, something Ardannis assures them the goddess of Darkness will have ideas on when she returns.

During his stay, Ardannis keeps a wary eye out for any signs of the power abuse he feared, not letting on, however, that he is worried.

((Group 4 is gonna wait, because he may do something different once he hears what Sedha's doing with group 3))
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 11.6, Group 7, Tumine

When Tumine looks at the river she left group 7 and 8 at long ago, she finds no Oque. She does find some few signs that there once was a settlement here and there, but most of it has been conquered back by nature. When she eventually decides to move deeper inside the forest, she searches about and days pass until she finally finds a group again.

When Tumine encounters Group 7, she sees that they have made huts in the trees near a smaller stream. There are some rafts lying on the shore, with paddles. However, when the Oque notice Tumine, they quickly hurry up inside the trees, towards their huts. Tumine can hear them already. "Tumine comes! Tumine brings flood!" "Trest offered food! Tumine not angry!" "Tumine bad! Tumine brings flood!" "Go away Tumine!" "Irfst scared! Tumine bad." "Tumine not hurt Oque!" "WAAAH! Waah! Trest! Trest!" "Trest coming! Trest protect!" "Not want flood!" "Not want Storm!"

Turn 11.1, Group 29, Ardannis

At Group 29, the first news is indeed that of Sedha. The other groups do not know of her as of yet. Strakft quickly come walking towards Ardannis and spoke up. "No, Sedha is not here. Sedha will come back with group, though. So Oque can teach other Oque." Quickly after, Fzangt also appears. He looks older now, and says the same thing.

Ardannis then goes on to teach the group about Capture the Flag. Or, in this case, Capture the Stick. The stick is one the Oque warped with a specific symbol, not painted, for they have no paint. Ardannis can see the Oque quickly picking up the game, from youngling to older adults. It seems that the groups formed eventually make their own variant. Around the village, they place their owns sticks with the symbol of their group. Then, they go and capture the sticks of the other groups. Depending on how many play, the groups are trio's or a multitude of trio's.

But, there is one group, a trio, which approaches Ardannis. They are Hikst, Naftst and Pkast. "Beep, Ardannis." The three of them say at once. "Ardannis, Hikst, Naftst and Pkast want to be Ardannis' team. We want to be teached by you and have a stick-symbol for our group. Will Ardannis teach us and give us stick-symbol?" Asks Hikst. If Ardannis accepts and draws the symbol in the ground to be shown on top of the stick, they will warp the top of the stick to look like that, as long as the symbol is relatively simple. This symbol will be representative of Ardannis and his group.

Meanwhile, Ardannis notices other things. When the players are moving about and interfering with the not-playing guards, they occassionaly get shots fired at them and angry guards. "Uktst thought Cvest was beast! Cvest should not walk around like that!" Is the complaint from the guards. Some other guards give more hostile reactions, and once, a game is broken up because it was getting out of hand. Despite that, the game is popular amongst the guards as well and it is not weird that the best groups are groups composed out of guards.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2008-06-26 at 04:35 AM.

20. - Top - End - #350

Ardannis, Turn 11.1, group 29

Ardannis accepts with a grin, and draws a circle on the ground, vertically bisected by a straight line. Circle is for sun, because Ardannis travels everywhere that the sun sees. Line is for staff, which Ardannis carries when traveling. He teaches the group a few new tactics, like throwing a rock to make a noise to distract the guards while they went a different way, or sneaking through bushes when they might be expected in the trees, and vice versa.

To deal with the minor altercations cropping up, he gathers up some of the guards and tries to find out if they can fire a jolt that stings, but does not otherwise damage the Oque it hits. If this works, the Oque have a nonlethal way to "tag" the players that get caught. If not, he tries to set up a password system, so that guards can check if what they've seen is a player before firing. A pass phrase/counter phrase sort of thing, where the guard might say "Stick?" and a player would respond "Caught", or something similar.

((Shoot! I meant to make it clear in the earlier post that the point of the game was to do this without being detected - if a guard saw you or caught you, you had to go back, though the rest of your team could continue.))
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-06-26 at 07:56 AM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Hikst, Naftst and Pkast are happy with Ardannis' symbol and make their stick straight and with a circle on top of it, with the stick through the circle. When Ardannis teaches the group a few new tactics, they do not think the throwing a rock works like that. "Throwing a rock does not make sound, Ardannis. It is possible that the guard sees the bush moving, though." is what Hikst has to say about it. The sneaking about in unexpected places is a good tactic, however, and the trio tries to make use of this in the game.

When Ardannis goes out to find out about the troubles, he finds that the troubles with the real guards, who were not playing or participating in the game at the time. The ones protecting the camp from beasts. Due to the sneaking of the Oque, they have mistook some of them for beasts. And the Oque were trying to hide, so they did not speak up about their presence, because that would betray their position to other players. A nonlethal way to deal with it is ineffective, because they might shoot that at beasts. And using a password system still has the same problem - you betray your position to the other players.

For the actual game, where the 'guards' are played, the nonlethal way is effective to 'tag' them and tell them they are caught, as is just saying they are caught. However, there is some confusion now. Several Oque think differently of the rules involving guards, while others do not know what to do. And thus, they request Ardannis for clearing it up. In the game itself, there are teams, of trios or multiple trios. They guard their own sticks, in and around the camp at the time of play. They can tag seen players, but can they tag them if they have the stick? Furthermore, the real guards, who do not participate in the game and protect the camp from beasts, do you have to hide from them too? If you are between the area in sticks, how do you resolve tagging? Who catches who then?

22. - Top - End - #352

Turn 11.3-11.4, Knowledge -A Gathering

Going to the group of Oque that hold the attention of the 4th group of responsible trios, Ades approaches them with the usual caution as he interacts with them. He hasn't changed his form, and he still wears the peculiar cloth, giving the same answer if asked about it again.

Asking the trio first about how they are faring in their teaching, Ades will speak to the Oque to try and stimulate their learning efforts.

"Beep again to you, my fellow Oque. I would like to talk to you about responsibility, but I am sure the Oque are doing a fine job at that."

As he finishes acknowledging the teachers, he begins.

"There will always be two types of Oque: The ones that know, and the ones that don't, yet it should not be held for true that the students can never surpass the teachers. In fact, the teachers learn as they teach other Oque. Knowledge isn't something you can categorize easily.

What I want you to take from that is that while you learn from the knowing, and while you teach the unknowing, do not let yourself be consumed by pride and discriminate the other Oque for not knowing. Similarly, do not let yourself be consumed by greed and harass the Oque that know.

Knowledge is a precious resource: Oque that know should teach, and Oque that know not should learn. Yet through learning, you should think of how to make the teaching better, you should think of better ways to do it, and see if it's easier, or if it is faster. Always experience knowledge for yourself."

With those words, Ades will stay around and tell some more stories, introducing the same game he did in Group 13 -probably because he knew those Oque were more simple-minded than the others- and also protect it from harm by beasts or disaster.
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-06-26 at 09:25 AM.
    A Revenant

23. - Top - End - #353

Tumine Barok, turn 11.6

Group 7

Shh, shh, Tumine says as she walks into the area. Calm, my Oque friends. Tumine not hurt Oque, not bring the flood or the storm. Tumine not angry, why would Tumine be angry at such good Oque, Oque who learn so much and so well? she asks. Her voice remains very calm and soothing, knowing that she has been away from them for a long, long time and needs to work to gain their trust back.

What has happened while I was gone? I am glad to see you still well, still learning. Who is Trest?

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354

Ardannis, Turn 11.1, Group 29

Spoiler
    Show
    *facepalm* Stupid deaf spiders!! :P

I guess that was indeed unclear, Ardannis will admit with a sheepish grin, wondering if there are even sheep on this world as he trie to explain the rules better.
    The intent was for whichever guards were on duty to be the opposing team. Whether or not there are additional "playing" guards, a sneaker has to hide from all of them. If a sneaker is tagged, either by a nonlethal Jolt or a touch from another Oque, they have to go back to their own base - if they were holding the opponent's stick, they have to drop it and let the opponent take it back. You cannot be tagged by an opponent in your own area, and neither side can be tagged in the area in between (no man's land).

Ardannis also suggests that anything incoming be hit with a single nonlethal Jolt first. This has two purposes - the first is to give a player a chance to identify themselves, and the second is to alert a beast or other unexpected guest while hurting them without injuring them, giving them a chance to run away (wouldn't you, if you were a beast?).

((That better?))

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 11.3-11.4, Group 1, Ark

The trio and their three children stand around Ades as he speaks up. They listen carefully and take it in well. "Oque will do as Ades tells us. Oque are happy with what Ades tells us." Then, Ades goes on tell stories and introduces the game. A same lifespan is encountered here, though it seems to last longer and is used less frequently due to the hints being less obvious. This is due to lack of intelligence and lack of knowledge about Sunoque and Storm compared to Group 13. The group is happy when Ades stays to protect them from beasts, which he occassionaly has to.

At 11.6, the trio returns to Group 13 for a visit. They stay there for 0.1-0.2 turns, and then return again. It seems like they are staying longer now than previous groups, but this is also because of children being with the group and growing up, and the group already being smarter than was the case when previous groups visited.

Turn 11.6, Group 7, Tumine Barok

"Trest Trest." Says one Oque, identifying himself as Trest. The Oque is carrying a child now on top of it, the one who was screaming before. Meanwhile, the other Oque continue. "Big Storm. Camp flooded." "Tumine bring storm. Tumine bring flood." "Not want flood!" "Tumine water power. Tumine bring flood!" "Tumine and Iklekos. Why else? Why bring flood? Why bring Storm? Because Tumine angry! Angry scares Irfst." "Other Oque bring offer. Tumine here! Tumine danger!" In general, Tumine learns that there was a storm, which brought a flood to their camp. Since Tumine has power over water, she must have done it. Why? Because she was angry. For that reason, the Oque have offered her food by means of dropping it in the water ever since. But only so many, because others think Tumine had just abondoned them or wished ill to them.

The guards tentively take Ardannis' suggestion about firing with a nonlethal Jolt first. They could at least try it for a while. But, their argument was that if they did that, they would not kill dangerous beasts stalking about and could further endanger the other Oque. Meanwhile, Ardannis had explained when you can get tagged, the following question arose: "How big is base?" Other than that, it there were some other questions about the details of the game. "What if groups' stick is taken and Oque bring stick from other group back?" "Oque not play when stick taken and placed at other base?" "What do with sticks from other groups at other bases?" "Fight for stick in no-base area?"

26. - Top - End - #356

Tumine Barok, turn 11.6
    Group 7

It is good to meet you, Trest. No, Tumine is not angry. Tumine has been far away for a long, long time. Not know about storm, or flood. Tumine can control water, but sometimes water moves on its own. Tumine may not know if bad things happen if Tumine not there, unless Oque call to Tumine. Not just any call, though. Must believe in Tumine, must believe Tumine will come, help.

I am sorry for all you must have suffered while I was away. If you would like, I can show you some ways to protect against floods and storms, because they may happen again. Tuminewould never bring a storm upon good Oque who love Tumine, believe in Tumine, but Others might try. World is complicated, little things change other big things far away. But if Oque trust, believe in Tumine, Tumine will help, and protect, and teach.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 11.6, Group 7, Tumine Barok

"NO! Tumine not!" "Oque called! Oque believed! Called long! Called hard! Oque liked Tumine! Oque trusted Tumine! No help!" "Tumine not help. Tumine bring Storm." "Tumine late. Storm long ago. Flood long ago." "How Tumine not know?" "No bring Storm!" "Offer food! Tumine no Storm!" "Bring food! Bring food!"

What the Oque said was true. In both group 7 and 8, during the storm, many have prayed towards Tumine with full faith in her. They prayed that she would help them, that she would stop Storm and floods. When it lasted so long, they offered food, and while it eventually ended, the Oque believe that it may be because of the food or simply because Tumine was out of water or just decided not to go on. Since then, the Oque have continued to pray, with believe, for Tumine to help, but she did not appear. Tumine could hear those prayers.

And now, some of the Oque rush away and go grab food. They return to Tumine and throw the food towards her, offering it to her, though not getting near enough, because they fear what she can do. She may say she wishes to help, but she had not during Storm. And she may say she comes when they call, but they have been doing that plenty. Now, these calls have turned to prayers to not make bad things happen.

Tumine can continue to say she wishes to help, but the Oque fear her. While not many have actually witnessed Storm, the story still lives and the Oque half-way fear the water. Hence why they only trusted a smaller stream, because the rafts are still useful. If she continues to speak she will protect and help, the Oque will not believe her at once, but she can try to proof it. But until then, words alone will not sway the Oque.

End of Turn 11

In Group 13, the practise of farming show some improvements, due to the first harvests being visible to the Oque. They have used that to see what mistakes they made and adjust accordingly. Mostly, this farming has manifested in the growing of some vegetable-like plants and berry bushes around or in the camps. The practise of moving between camps applies to the harvests as well, as the Oque try to figure out the duration of growth for these plants and when the food is ready to be taken

In Group 3, The Oque have wondered where Akam and Ades have been, but continue their daily lives. In Group 4, the same question is raised about Ardannis, but likewise, daily live continues.

The relation between Group 1 and 13 and started to become better. With the guidance of the fourth trio and their children, Group 1 has become smarter and has obtained a larger knowledge of language and huts. Because of the improvement in language, more Oque, even not-responsible groups, have been ready to go to the relatively nearby group 1 to teach them things and interact with them. The stories of Sunoque and Childbeing are now well known amongst the Oque of Group 1 and they have started to make their first proper huts as well.

Group 3 has been wary about dealing with the much more advanced Group 29. After first contact, they were made a fair offer by Fzangt. They could take residence in two of the towns already build, and Group 29 would split up in two to take care of Group 3 as well. They would protect the Oque and teach them things, and in return, the Oque of Group 3 would gather food for the guards and the leaders. Group 3 was wary about this and the elders of the Group decided to wait with this for a while. There was interaction between the Groups in the waiting time, where the teachers were careful this time around. They also received an invitation to join the new game, but they refused. It is now much further, and unless Sedha disapproves, the elders of Group 3 will accept the offer of Fzangt.

Unfortunately, Fzangt dies later on and leadership is taken over by his adult child, Qwert. Qwert has been there to oversee the interaction between Group 3 and his groups. His reign seems a bit loser than that of Fzangt, because he has to deal with this new group a lot. Perhaps because of this, there has been another Oque who has decided to organise something grand.

In Group 29, 30, 31 and 32, the new game of Ardannis has been widely accepted. Each group has several playing groups, and there have emerged several plays. One is a version where many groups play, each group being a trio. Another is where a third of the participants is in one team, another third is in the other team and the last third in again another. The last version is similar to the first, but with groups usually being composed out of about three trio's. One team of three trio's has been exceptional. The Ardannis group. Hikst, Naftst and Pkast form the first trio, a trio of guards form the second trio, and a trio of messengers form the third trio. And Hikst has decided to host the greatest Capture The Stick.

At Turn 12...

...Hikst and his group have selected an area in the center of all groups and camps. This has taken a lot of time to find, so this has only been selected at 12.3. With a larger number of Oque from all the groups, they have started to build a new camp. There will be several large camps and each is divided in several smaller camps. Each of the smaller camps is composed out of three huts, each one capable of holding a trio. At 12.6, the construction of this Capture The Stick Camp will be completed, and then plans for the real and the greatest Capture The Stick can begin.. it will be a Capture The Stick where only the best trios of each group will be able to participate. And they will reside each of the large camps, one for each group.
    [ooc: Whether it is four or five depends on Group 3's interaction, which is influences by Sedha's advice.]
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2008-06-27 at 03:31 AM.

28. - Top - End - #358

12.1, Ades, Group 13

Ades manifests himself to the Oque once more, appearing right in between the two symbols of Childbeing and Sunoque in a shaft of light, stepping out of a cocoon that seems to manifests itself much like what a preconceived Oque looks like. Ades steps out at 10 feet tall, showing the Oque that his size matters not in the least and he can grow or shrink at will.

"Greetings to the Oque once more! I am back, and I have seen your progress from afar. Impressive as always."

He walks among the trios of Oque to determine which ones are gone to group 1. He fully expects the trio of Njert, Vladst and Kpadt to have died, or maybe with only a few left. He hoped his nursing has had some sort of impact on Kpadt's passing. He also checks upon the evolution of the religious stories, correcting any mistakes or misinterpretations there may have been or were passed down.

Ades walks among the berry bushes in this turn, he walks to different trios and examines whether any of them want children. He also looks for who among the Oque would call themselves responsible for the others, calling out for volunteers to venture to group 2 with him.

"For now that one group is closer, it is time to go to the others. I would ask the trio that comes to climb on my back so we could move faster. I will fetch them later on to come home."

After the group has manifested himself and preparations for departure are being made, Ades gathers the Oque to listen to him once more.

"I would like to be able to call you as a group. For now that you know of responsibility, you also know that you have friends and tight relationships with each other. You also know more than any among the Oque about Sunoque and Childbeing. I'd like to call you 'The Enlightened.' from now on, as a symbol of your affiliation to Sunoque, and, of course, as a tribute to the knowledge given to you by Childbeing."

He then continues on a different line of thought.

"I also would like to tell you a story if you would listen to it. It is one I gave your group a long time ago, and yet, my intention at the time didn't seem to carry through to you. Now, to The Enlightened, I repeat it once more as you may hear it differently."

Clearing his throat, Ades begins.

"There was once a time where an Oque that had seen tasty fruits atop a tree would come up that tree several times in a day. He wouldn't eat anything else and he would greatly enjoy eating those berries at the top. One day, because it was the seventh time he went up the tree in a few hours, he became increasingly tired, letting go of his grip and falling from a long way down, hitting the ground hard and bruising 5 of his legs so he couldn't ever climb the tree again. One responsible Oque that had been watching tells him that he wasn't thinking enough, climbing to the top and breaking off the tip of the tree that had the berries, so they would all be on the ground for the Oque to enjoy."

He pauses, letting a few seconds for the story to sink in or maybe elders remembering it vaguely.

"That story might be confusing, but it isn't just about the Oque being responsible and helping out the other. It also suggests that the Oque should join together their knowledge. If you see one Oque that plants bushes very fast and very good, ask him to share his knowledge. Always talk about what you learn together. I like to call it a Commune of the Minds."

He looks to his audience, preparing to leave with the trio for group 2.

"Whenever you face problems, always gather together. Always communicate your ideas, your discoveries. Give them, share them, improve them. 3 Oques are good, but 6 Oques are better. And 9. And maybe if the whole of The Enlightened shared knowledge, they would discover other things of Quax, warp wood better, create better symbols for Sunoque and Childbeing."

He turns to leave and reminds the Oque one last time of the principle.

"Remember: Commune of the Minds."
    A Revenant

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 12.1, Group 13, Ades

The Oque look in amazement as Ades once again manifest. When Ades walks around, he indeed does not find the trio of Njert, Vladst and Kpadt any more. He does hear that the nursing of Kpadt has had some effect, as his nigh-last words were to thank him. Their four children are walking around though, and have found mates already. One trio of them is looking thicker, as if they are eating for future children. Another trio, of which the first is a child of the trio no longer around, do seem responsible. They are Npikt, Jtrat and Mrest. He also finds another trio, Ytsk, Brulpt and Vltimt, who are ready. Brulpt is here the child of another responsible trio as well. Both trio's volounteer, but even if it was just one trio, Ades would not be able to carry all three Oque.

When Ades gathers the Oque, they listen attently towards his suggestion. Some seem opposed, but most think it is a good idea. After Ades departs, the name clings to the group as reference, but it does not survive the teeth of time. Soon, it is shortened to just "Enlight".
    Ades' story about the Oque climbing in the tree is recognised by several Oque, especially some elders who have told it themselves to other Oque. They, of those gathered, listen most closely to Ades' suggestion. When he explains about a 'Commune of the Minds', the Oque do understand his explenation, but the name is weird. They do not use those words in their own language, but they do get the concept, and it roughly translates to 'Gathering of the Thoughts'.

This principe, the 'Gathering of Thoughts', is somewhat accepted in the Oque group Enlight from then on. They realise that they have communicate and share their discoveries. And so, the Oque talk with each other and start to exchange more knowledge. Because they have become story tellers due to Ark's influence, this falls in a similar vein. However, not everybody talks about everything. Those who simply have no interest to become experts at building, or farming, or firing jolts, only spent enough time to get the basics. There are those who do dedicate themselves to it and make sure to talk a lot with each other about things and make sure most are up to date about things. The result of this is that within this group, where several more advanced skills are, the advanced skills are almost uniformally developed ebtween the Oque in Enlight.

And then, the two trio's of Npikt, Jtrat and Mrest, as well as Ytsk, Brulpt and Vltimt, are ready to leave. Npikt is smart and caring, Jtrat is open minded and talktive, Mrest is caring and knows more about warping wood. Ytsk is better at jolt and is more protective, Brulpt is better at making huts and is a creator, while Vltimt is supportive and social. With Ades, they leave towards Group 2.

30. - Top - End - #360

Tumine Barok, turn 11.6-11.89
    Group 7

Tumine stays with them, assuming the situation does not actually get worse, until [11.89]. Tumine explains that she was very far away and could not see anything that was happening in the world. When the Oque talk about having prayed to her, but receiving no help, while she does not admit openly to having heard their prayers but not coming, she is visibly hurt as they talk about it. She spends a considerable time apologizing for not coming when they called.

The rest of the time that she is there, Tumine spends trying to regain the trust of her Oque. While it seems that they may still worship her, she would rather be trusted than feared. Tumine will try first to learn what were the biggest distresses for the Oque brought on by the storm and flood (lack of food? being swept away? huts destroyed? plain old fear?), and work tirelessly to teach the Oque how to avoid or better survive this sort of thing in the future. She admits openly that is is not yet powerful enough to stop a storm or a flood altogether, but says that when more Oque believe in her, she will be that powerful. She makes it very clear that the more they trust her, and the more other Oque trust her, the more she will be able to protect them.

What exactly she teaches will depend on the exact circumstances of what the Oque seemed to be the most affected by, but it will likely be one/some of:
    Teaching much more swimming.
    Raising the Oque's threshold for how much ice they can make, and the ability to use that as a floatation device.
    Helping the Oque to weatherproof their huts.
    Making the rafts more seaworthy and stronger.

Above all, her motivation here is to get these Oque to love, rather than fear her. Therefore, her absolutely first priority is protecting all the Oque, from beasts, other Oque, the waters, whatever may be necessary. If any seem to risk being swept away on a raft, she will use Water Splitting Stone to slow or reverse the current safely, so that they are not in danger.

They know, now, to respect and fear the water, as well as how it can be used. She must now teach how to balance the two.

Spoiler
    Show