New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Pius Fidelus: The Oque

Krixal 4.1, Group 30

Yes, the fire will hurt if you touch it, but you have to get very close.

He demonstrates by holding his hand above the fire, then moving it closer and closer until it is almost in the fire, then jerks it back as if burned. He isn't, of course, due to his tunic.

Krixal pauses when the Oque asks about how the beasts know that fire will burn them.

How do beasts know anything? I don't know, but they will stay away, that is the important thing.

Fire is different than your light, I think. I can't teach you to better your light, but maybe, with practice, you can make fire the same way.

Fire lasts, because it eats the wood.

He pulls out a stick with a burnt off end to show them.

When all the wood is gone, the fire goes away. Your light doesn't eat the wood.

Indicating that the stick the Oque used for light was unchanged.
    Awesome avatar by kpenguin!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 4.1, Group 30, Krixal

The Oque make sure not to get too close in the fire as they see Krixal's display. When Krixal explains that fire eats wood and their light does not, he gets the following response. "Light tires." And the following question: "Why not teach better light?" "Many wood fire eat?" Asks the other then, wondering how much the fire would eat of the wood before being done.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ardannis, Turn 4.2, Group 31 ((sorry if this one's sloppy, I'm in a rush))

As always, it's relaxing and happy for Ardannis to spend time with his friends. When they tell him of Group 33, he is sad to think that there are creatures who dislike him so much. Still, Oque are free to choose. If they do not want to know Ardannis, then Ardannis will not force them. Forcing is not right, he says with emphasis.

As he readies to leave, they ask about strategy, and Ardannis grins inwardly. Bending, he rapidly traces part of a Fives board on the ground, and gathers a small handful of pebbles. Smart way in game is to fool other player. He places some pebbles down, forming a simple pattern that has an obvious run of four on one side, a threat to the other player. Other player goes here to block, and then here, does not see what you do over here. He indicates the other side of the pattern, which has a few threes, but nothing that looks like much. His next pebble, though, forms two fours out of it, and other player can only block one, so you win next turn. He will demonstrate again if they need it, and show them a "force" in Threes as well, since that is simpler.

Then he walks off to visit Groups 30 and 32, hoping to stay with them and teach similar things.

Spoiler
    Show
    He would have called Tic-tac-toe "Threes", and Go "Fives", since those are basically the point of both games, to get three or five in a row.

A "force" in Threes is where you get two twos, such as having X's in three of the four corners - you'll win next turn, because the other player can only block one of them.

Don't know how much fluff I need with the other two groups, as he's basically going to spend a chunk of this turn trying similar approaches to what worked well with Group 31.
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-06-03 at 11:51 AM.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

4. - Top - End - #154

Krixal 4.1

I am the god of fire, not light. However, maybe we can find a way to improve your light using fire, I shall have to think about it.

The fire will eat as much wood as you put on it.

Krixal picks up another branch and puts it into the fire.

It will keep burning until all the wood is turned to black and white.

Indicating the ashes and burnt wood that will have formed by now.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

"Fire eat plant?" Says the one Oque, pointing at the fire. The other one says: "Fire eat hut?" After which this Oque points up, towards where the Oque were keeping their primitive huts and were usually sleeping in.

[ooc: If you stay until 4.2, Ardannis comes visit here.]

Turn 4.2, Group 31&32, Ardannis

The Oque look intrigued at the strategies Ardannis is telling them. Others, including Rtskink, Qwerty and Tiktbt are looking. But it is especially Yvtsk who is paying attention. "Good. Good!" He says, taking them in carefully. Tiktbt does not seem to get it and goes back to trying to get the fingertrap off. [ooc: What do you call the fingertrap?]

When Ardannis eventually leaves, he already hears how Yvtsk challenges Rtskink to a game, while Qwerty tries to explain Tiktbt how to get the fingertrap off. When Ardannis arrives at Group 32, the Oque seem much more prepared, having seen him before and having heard from him from the other group. They accept him in their ranks, wishing to learn from him and with this group, Ardannis can go explain much of what he has done to the Oque in Group 31 as well. The Oque seem interested, though a bit less interested than Group 31, but that is mainly because Ardannis slowly needs to gain their trust.

By the time Ardannis leaves towards Group 31, the Oque seem to have been tied up with Threes especially and seem to have really taken the trail making as superior advice. They usually use sticks or special wood-warped pointers to guide to food and water sources. When Ardannis comes near Group 31.. he may or may not see Krixal. [ooc: Waiting for Krixal's response to see if you two will meet again.]

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tumine Barok, Turn 4.6

Groups 7&8

Spoiler
    Show
    Post-RP rewrite! Go! Go! (let me know if you'd rather just bump this up to the next turn).

Tumine materializes from the water as usual. She greets all the Oque, and then says she has another visitor for them to meet, saying that he knows much of "ice," and that he is a friend who wanted to meet them. She then dematerializes briefly, and when she reappears, Iklekos is with her.

This Iklekos. Friend. Know much about "ice." Teacher.

When the topic of Group 7 moving comes up, Tumine suggests that the Oque move downstream. She will scope out the lower part of the stream, and help them find a suitable place that they will be safe and still have plenty of opportunity to learn swimming and raft-building.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

7. - Top - End - #157

Ardannis, Turn 4.2, Group 32

((Consider this inserted at some random but appropriate point in his time with this group.))
    Ardannis glad to meet with friends of other Oque, and teach them. Hope Oque learn much from Ardannis, get strong and smart. Next time Ardannis visit Oque, will give gift to Oque who is best at games. If best Oque in this group, then this group get gift. If best Oque in other group, other group get better gift.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just waiting to see if Krixal will be around or not.

He'll call the trap...hmm, "Patience-teacher". If they don't know that word, he'll use the trap to explain how patience means waiting when you can't get what you want right away (if you try to get out of the trap right away, you can't - you have to be patient with it).
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-06-03 at 04:02 PM.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 4.2, Group 32, Ardannis

"What gift?" Asks one Oque curiously. The other Oque seem interested as well, but in general they seem willing to play the game and learn from Ardannis.

Turn 4.6, Group 7&8, Tumine & Iklekos

Fcinkt and Gpardz are quickly there when Tumine manifests again, along with several other Oque. When Iklekos appears, the Oque are amazed. "What Iklekos?" While Fcinkt asks: "What know of ice?" Gpardz remains looking at this new creature, intrigued by its appearance.

When Tumine helps with the decision, the Oque are glad. They start moving their things down the stream and with the aid of Tumine they are able to find a suitable place close to the stream, with proper trees and food nearby. Happy, the Oque start building up their huts again while trying out their rafting skills and having fun in the water.

9. - Top - End - #159

Ardannis, Turn 4.2, Group 32

Gift is thing to help Oque from Ardannis, Ardannis says enigmatically, to cover the fact that he hasn't fully planned what the best prize would be yet. If they ask further, he says it will be clearer when they see it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oops...need to plan better next time.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 4.6

Ikeklos appears, only 1.5 meters tall. It feels strange: Never before has it been so small. It is a new experience.
    And then, the Quax-Makers started to ask questions. Now, Ikeklos was on familiar turf.
    Answering one question, it says ""I am Ikeklos. Like Water-Weaver, I am a deity, a concept given shape. And, like Water-Weaver, I bring a Truth, my Truth, to share and teach you, Quax-Makers. I come to help you. The Truth I bear, should you accept it, will protect you, all your kind, and all things of this world from a grievous harm. By acknowledging it, you may help to protect you all from yourselves.
    But for your kind, it seems that there is something further than my Truth that I may teach you. I know much of Ice, for part of my concept is that of cold. If you are willing, I will teach you all that I can of it."

While the Oque move their things, Ikeklos asks some simple questions: What they eat, how their society is shaped, what preys on them or they prey on, etc.
    It is after they arrive that Ikeklos feels a little awkward: Usually, this is the point where it would determine whether the creatures would be willing to listen to Truths. But, from how they treat Water-Weaver, that they listen to Truths is already evident. It would ask who would number among its Truth-Seekers, but such a thing seems... moot, at this point. So, it does as it usually does, but passes on some of the usual fanfare: It finds a place to rest itself, and then asks a simple thing.
    "As I said before, I bear a great Truth. I have seen that you have accepted much of Water-Weaver's Truth, and in doing so, I can see that you are Truth-Seekers. Who, among you, will listen to my Truth?"
    As it waited for Oque to gather to listen(assuming that they do so), Ikeklos fell into its old pattern. Now, it was more comfortable.
    "To know all of the Truth at once too soon is to dabble with Hopelessness. But, I will teach you, Truth-Seekers, enough to help you. Know This: Ignorance is a powerful weakness. You, Truth-Seekers, show great strength in overcoming it, and accepting the knowledge of Water-Weaver and myself. For this, I will teach you openly.
    Know this, the First Great Truth: Waste Will Harm You.
    Do not waste that which you own. If you have more than you can use, give to those who can use more. If you have more than you can carry, do not discard it, but make it available to those who can carry more. Look for the use of that once thought useless. It is in finding resources, where once there was refuse, that you will follow the Truth."

Ikeklos awaits questions on the nature of its Truth, and answers them in kind. When this is concluded, it offers a new line of instruction:
    "As I said before, Cold is part of what I am. I manipulate it, control it, am it."
    As it says this, it holds out one of its palms. By using the Miracle Frost, it makes a miniature winter scene dance in its hand, resembling somewhat the inside of a snow globe.

Ikeklos then endeavors to teach the Oque all that it can on the manipulation of ice and cold.

Ikeklos stays with these Oque for some time, learning their ways and teaching how to preserve as much as they can. However, Ikeklos does have other things on its mind, and leaves at Turn 4.75.
    Last edited by Altairius; 2008-06-03 at 10:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 4.2, Ardannis

While Ardannis shows the Oque several things, he eventually notices that the name "Patience-teacher" for the finger-trap is actually changing. Within some time, most just refer it to as "Patience". Meanwhile, the Oque continued to learn and play their games, wanting to be the best to receive a gift. Contact between Group 30, 31 and 32 increases as Oque play games to each other. While this leads to contact and some form of cooperation, it also sparks competitiveness. Most Oque want to better than others in it.

Turn 4.6, Group 7, Tumine & Iklekos

When Ikeklos talked in his very long, complex sentences, he notices some Oque moving away. Their heads toiled with all the things they did not understand. Amongst them was Gpardz, but he left for a different reason. He felt weak and went to rest.

Fcinkt, on the other hand, looked very interested. So did a number of other Oque. They seemed interested in learning, but they simply do not get some things. "What truth?" Eventually, though, those interested Oque gathered around him and let Iklekos speak. He told them of the first truth, about waste and more. However, then Iklekos suddenly notices something he might not have expected.. "What waste?" "What ignorance?" "What knowledge?" "What resources?" "What useless?" "What openly?" "What manipulate?" "What control?"

When, after this, Iklekos starts to teach the Oque about manipulating ice and cold, he finds out that their ability to make ice out of water is not based on cold. Through using their Quax, they are able to make the water straight into ice, where cold is more a side effect than the cause..
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2008-06-04 at 02:42 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by Zweanslord View Post

Turn 4.3, Group 13, Ark

"Aiiee, it talks! Flee!" Says one Oque, but the other Oque look weird at it. They are already in their trees and it seemed not to be a beast since it was rather small. "Plaktb. What friend?" "Ipd. What want?"
    4.3 Ark

"A friend is one that helps. A friend is trust. Trust is relying on someone that helps. For example, you rely on another Oque to help you see a beast. When you see me. You cry out to others. That is help. That is trust. That other Oque is a friend."

He smiles nicely.

"Come, I am friend. Tell me about Oque, I will answer your questions and tell you who I am."

He patiently waits for them to climb down, and whether or not they do he will first engage the conversation, Ark's avatar appears extremely graceful and completely harmless in this state.

"My name is Ark. I am a power. You have power to see, to think, I have all of that as well, but I have great great power over fertility: Birth. Children. And not just animals, but plants as well."

His hands both join together and he forms a handseal, channeling great power inside the tree the Oque were resting in. The tree grows ever so slightly, fruits (or pollen/flowers, your choice) coming out, suddenly spreading its seeds in a wide area. Pollen will swirl around the tree and suddenly spread out, fruits will roll to the ground and turn into compost in a few moments, seeds going into the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    + Pollen, lesser

"I can teach you a lot about Birth, about plants! Tell me about you, and I will help you grow lots of plants that you like to eat. And when I am gone, if you think of me and call out to me, I will come back to help you more."
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-06-04 at 03:24 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 4.3, Group 13, Ark

Eventually, Plaktb and Ipd come down, while the one who screamed earlier goes off with some other Oque to find food, not coming near the weird thing. Along with Plaktb and Ipd, some other Oque come down. They listen to what Ark has to say and when the tree starts to blossom with pedals, the Oque stand amazed. He seems relaxed and harmless enough, so they continue to look at him. Then, they start talking. "Know birth." "Grow plants? How?" "Why? Seek food." "Power children?" With the last question, some of the Oque look up at the children with some of the other Oque still in the tree. To think that this strange being can do something with them does not sound too good, since he might do bad things. One of the children in the tree seems to be chasing after some of the pedals floating the air, while the others seem to be distracted by other, adult, Oque. "Want know Oque? What?"

14. - Top - End - #164

Ark 4.3

"How Oque speak to each other? What Oque like eating? What Oque scared of? More Ark knows, more Ark helps Oque."

He seemed sincere enough, still in a fairly relaxed position, the avatar yawns and stretches. He shows them pollen and flowers, then looking in the ground for a while, he finds seeds. He explains to them these are how trees and plants grow. They need water to grow and sunlight. If the Oque take seeds and flowers from trees or plants, they can make more of any plant that they like to eat.

He then looks up in the tree and sees children, he looks back down and smiles.

"I am protector of birth and child. Ark stops harm, boosts children."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 4.3, Group 13, Ark

"Oque speak. Oque hear. Ark speak." Is the response about speaking. While Ark may have indeed noticed how the Oque do not use their mouths to speak, asking an Oque 'how it speaks' is a strange question, since you just do. "Plants. Fruits." "Fear beasts!"

When Ark shows them about seeds.. "Ark weird." "Big plant. Small seed. Plant from seed? No." "Grow big? From seed? No." In short, the Oque do not believe him. The trees growing from those tiny seeds? They think he is weird. While their own children do originate from eyespheres, those are a lot larger than the seeds and adult Oque are a lot smaller than the big trees. The Oque do seem a bit more relaxed when Ark states he wants to protect children, instead of harm them or something. Still, somebody who says such weird things may not be good near their children..

16. - Top - End - #166

Ark 4.3

Ark seems surprised at the denial by the Oque. He surmises that they really have never been paying very much attention to how things were growing around them and that they have always lived in a very plentiful area. He shows them a seed, and then among the grass, easily finds a sprout. He then shows a mature one, and proceeds in the same way to show them smaller trees.

"Long time for seed grow big. Very long. When seed too small, plant goes into ground."

He goes to the tree and digs up a bit of dirt, showing roots.

"This is Root. Big tree, big root. Takes long time." He then moves to a young sapling and shows them. "Everytime Ark comes, tree bigger." Grabbing a stick that is roughly the same size of breaking off one, he plants it next to the sapling.

Moving on, he says hello to the Oque children with a smile, and proceeds to grabbing several seeds of plants the two Oque tell him are their favorites and will plant them, spaced, in a line.

"Use Seeds. Water give Plants. Eat give Seeds. Use Seeds. Water give Plants. Eat give Seeds." he says, describing the cycle. He then looks at the Oque, trying to see if they have any genders.

"Oque have females?"

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 4.3, Group 13, Ark

"Grass. Food. Tree." One of the Oques says as Ark points to the different stages of a tree. The one that was pointed out as food comes along as Ipd starts eating it and nibbling on it. "Take long? Why stay? Food gone." The Oque really do not see a reason to stay around. These are the ones without huts, so they do not even stay at one spot for some amount of time. They just walk about, seeking places to sleep, eat and drink and move on in general. They do not notice things growing since they are continuously on the move. And if the group does come back to a place it was before, the Oque usually do not remember having been there before due to the relatively large time in between visits. When Ark says hello the children, they say: "Beep." "Beep." To the question about females, the mature Oque simply respond "What female?"

18. - Top - End - #168

Krixal 4.1

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll leave before 4.2, mostly because I couldn't post yesterday to coordinate a meeting.

Yes, fire will eat both plant's and huts, which is why you must always be careful in using it. I think that the Oque are ready for fire, if you are careful, I know that it will be good for you.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

"No want fire eat hut." The other Oque agree with this, finding their own light source to be much more attractive. "Teach other?"

Turn 4.2, Group 30, Ardannis

When Ardannis comes, the Oque tell about how Krixal visited and how their visit went. They try to retell what happened, but details are sometimes hard to convey.

20. - Top - End - #170

Krixal 4.1

Teach Other?

Krixal (eg - lilomar) is beginning to find the Oque's mode of speech confusing.

You mean your light? I don't know about your light.

Your light is good, but fire is good too. Your light won't keep beasts away at night. It won't keep you warm in the cold.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oque keep Oque warm." "Oque run from beast. Oque climb from beast." "Oque jolt beast." "Ardannis teach games. Other too." "Krixal teach fire. Teach other.. things.. too?" And so the Oque talk to Krixal, trying to make clear that they are not too interested in his fire, but perhaps there is something else he wants to tell or teach the Oque?

22. - Top - End - #172

Krixal 4.1, Group 30

Hm, what do the Oque eat? Can you show me what you use for food?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

The Oque agree to show Krixal what they eat. Already, one says "Fruits. Plants." and when the other Oque return, they come back with fruits, such as berries and apples, and with plants, such as some big leaves and some tasty-looking (at least to them) flowers.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, turn 4.6

Luckily for the Oque, Ikeklos possesses nigh-infinite patience. Every question, every clarification it answers in turn. It doesn't dumb down sentences: Instead, it explains them using simpler and simpler terms. If it takes multiple tiers of simplification to fully explain a word, so be it. For example:
    "Waste is simply defined as when something you could use is not used to its fullest amount, either through action or inaction.

Ignorance is not having knowledge.

Knowledge is the things you know. Your memories, your skills, and the teachings of those around you.

A Resource is something you can use for a purpose. It is food you can eat, or could be material you can make a raft of. It means many things.

To manipulate is to be able to affect something.

So on, and so forth. In the process, Ikeklos may inadvertently be giving them a language lesson.

25. - Top - End - #175

Krixal 4.1, 30

Krixal takes several of the apples and breaks them in half ((Strength:2)). He then puts cinnamon in the center, puts the pieces together again and wraps them in leaves. These he puts in the coals of his fire.

I will show you another use of fire. If you wait a little bit you will see what fire can do to food!

Once the apples have been cooked through ((Cooking:1)), he distributes them to several of the Oque, starting with the ones who had been asking questions.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 4.6, Group 7, Iklekos

the Oque learn, trying to learn about the language, adding words known and sometimes asking further. They continue to ask and learn, though some just go away, not interested in the lessons and rather wanting to get some food. Others try to ask about other things, about ice, about the strange immortal creatures.

The Oque look at the pieces of apple, suspiciously. Eventually, they start to eat it. One says they taste something else, liking it, another saying that it tastes bad. But most take it, say it tastes somewhat else, but do not think it really tastes better or worse. "Interesting.." "What effect?" And so, some Oque find it interesting, while others think nothing of it or badly of it.

27. - Top - End - #177

Tumine Barok, turn 4.6

Group 7

If Gpardz is behaving obviously different, feeling weak, etc, Tumine will go to him and ask him what is the matter, and attempt to determine if there is any way she can help him. She also begins work anew on the boats, now that Iklekos is here to deal with the ice the Oque have begun to make, so she assists with the boat-building and swimming.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2008-06-04 at 03:43 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 4.6, Group 7, Tumine

The Oque are glad that Tumine helps them with the ice as is Iklekos. They seem happy as she helps with the boats and with her guard, some of the children go on a raft on a nice raft trip if she's around to guard them. During this, some Oque do wonder more about these other creatures who can speak. These immortals, wondering who they are, where they come from and why they have interest in the Oque and the like.

When Gpardz left, he said he was fine, but in the coming days, his condition is worsening. Some other Oque do not feel good as well and after some asking it seems that they have been sticking together a lot. The somewhat sick Oque are put together on one end of the settlement. The Oque seem worried, but this has happened before. Gpardz is not that young any more either, so he is not fit enough to fight the illness that is coming over him. Likely, if Tumine leaves now and returns [next turn], Gpardz will not be amongst the Oque she will see again.

29. - Top - End - #179

Tumine Barok, turn 4.6
    Group 7

Spoiler
    Show
    So this is not a new thing, no crazy mystery plagues? (I ask because I'm DMing a D&D game where that is, indeed happening, so it's on my mind

Tumine does indeed go on the raft trip with the children. She answers any questions they ask to the best of her ability, including describing the Outer Plane (calling it "Other World") if they ask, and relating what she knows about the other Immortals, that there are many, some good, and some very bad.

Tumine also spends some time with the sick Oque, doing anything she can to ease their suffering and make them comfortable. She encourages all of them to persevere, in fact, she preaches perseverance almost constantly with respect to all aspects of life (which the Oque seem to take well to, anyway). She teaches that anything may be overcome with enough time and effort.
    She realizes that some of the sick ones may not make it, but she encourages them all. She uses specific names most of the time, to make her comments more personal.

[Oque name] strong, brave. Not be sick. Need water? Rest now, feel better.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2008-06-04 at 04:31 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180

Ark 4.3 (wrap-up post)

Ark is interested in the creatures and will stay with the Oque for all of 4.3, mainly teaching them of others like him. The Immortals. If the Oque do not believe him, he will carry on, just as if he was story-telling, letting the young ones listen in. As he tells stories, he will also refer to other species he knows well such as the Zygon in the plains. He will learn whatever he can about the Oque's lifestyle, observing the way they nurture their children, the way they eat, the way they communicate and if there are any notions of leadership, jealousy, (for food, for example) or strength as well as any other thing that might interest Ark specifically: The way they breed, the way they love, the way they care for their progeny.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wrap-up post: Ark stays with the Oque and moves around with them for 4.3.