New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pius Fidelus: The Oque

Turn 5.1, Group 3, Sedha

"What game?" "Try game." "Listen! Listen!" One Oque said as it jumped up and down and through bushes and bumped and in general, made a lot of noise. "Wow! Wow!" The Oque said as it heard all the noise. The Oque found that much funnier than what Sedha proposed and they all hopped around trying to make the thing give off noise. "Wow! Gift weird." "Who Tek?" After the question, most of the Oque kept playing around with it, making noise, until they stopped making noise and a single Oque was allowed to make noise. So one at a time, the Oque hopped around and tried to make sound come from the thing. They had a lot of joy with this and sometimes even forgot Sedha was around. Eventually, the Oque address Sedha again. "Sedha now? Make noise?" So giving Sedha a turn to make noise. Meanwhile, Sedha notices some Oque, especially one, just sitting a bit from the others and doing nothing. With that, said Oque actually wins the terms of the game Sedha set up, as it made the least noise of all the Oque. The name of the Oque is Kab.

Turn 5.2, Groups 30-32, Ardannis

Tifcp and Brunkt are very pleased with the Patience Ardannis gives them and play with them quite a bit. "Patience is good and so is Ardannis. Oque will have much fun with Patience. Children like it." Was the response from Tifcp, while Brunkt replies: "Oque smarter because of Ardannis. Ardannis is good and because of that Oque will tell others." Unfortunately, since Group 32 does not meet any other groups, Brunkt is not able to do this though. But he, like Tifcp, shares the Patience with others, especially the children who can have endless fun with it.

Yvtsk seems pleased with the Careful Eyes and he speaks up. "Ardannis is good and Yvtsk likes the Careful Eyes. Krixal was here before and Ardannis said he was a God too. Does he have that power too? Yvtsk would like to know more about the Gods. Gods are different from the Oque, but Ardannis is smart and teaches. If there is something Yvtsk and the Oque can do to get more of those gifts, then state so Ardannis."
    In the interaction with Yvtsk, it is clear to Ardannis. Yvtsk is not just the smartest Oque he knows of the groups, but he is also a step up above all other Oque. None really do get close to his intelligence and well spoken ability.

Spoiler
    Show
    Note that Yvtsk truly is smarter than any other Oque. Also, you said Ardannis will be back around 2.5.. I think you meant something else?

Turn 5.3-5.4, Tumine Barok

As Tumine walks through the forest, she does find some of the huts around, except empty. Traces of a group being here previously are appearant, though it has been some time since they were here as the roofs in the trees and the rare floor are already decaying. This happens twice during her journey, in which she sees the different tall and majestic trees stand around her. Days pass by and each morning the birds welcome her, while in the night eyes seem to lurk at her. She does get attacked a few times by predators due to her small size, but she manages to flee or beat up the predator, though it does seem to take up energy or incur some small scratches and wounds here and there.

One time she comes to a pond, but at the same time a predator, which made it an obvious reason why no Oque sticked around here. She does find a corpse of the Oque near the pond with obvious marks of predators having eaten much of it. The eye seems to be least eaten on. Yet, despite the signs of predators and the death and decay of Oque, the forest seems calm and tranquil often enough, especially around dawn and dusk. It is kind of serene and peaceful, or lively as the animals are awake, birds chirp and the sound of the forest encompasses Tumine.

During her travels she does come across some streams, ranging from small to bigger, but it seems the stream the Oque of group 7&8 are on is the largest in the vicinity. She also finds a small spring and some squirrels and birds with interest towards her, but continues on. Eventually, she does come upon a group of Oque. They reside in the trees with huts and when they hear Tumine, they approach her, thinking it of being an Oque. However, when they see her, they flee back to their trees, especially when they discover she can talk. This is group 5.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ark 5.8- to end of turn, Group 13

Ark comes back to the Oque, he continues teaching them stories, and as he does so, he introduces small fables, myths or stories that involve Oque-like behavior with which they can relate to. In general, those stories promote good endings when the Oque move often and have lots of children. Bad endings were most often to be due to an excess of curiosity, and most of the time by great beasts, Ark perpetrating the custom installed by Plamal (unknowingly of course).

He often grabs a stick and writes symbols into the ground, making drawings of Oque-like creatures and babies, smiling and teaching them if they are curious enough. He also uses a miracle to impress them everytime he leaves, using a tree that spreads heavy pollen in the air before leaving.

Spoiler
    Show
    Upon leaving: + Pollen, Lesser

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha

Sedha accepts their invitation, but walks around the cocoon quietly. "It harder to walk around quietly. More fun." She then turns to the Oque, Kab sitting still. "You would win game, if others played too. It harder to make gift not make noise when moving though. Do you know why Sedha brought you gift?"

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 5.1, Group 3, Sedha

"World noise. Sedha brought gift. Try show Oque. World noise." Says one Oque proudly, while another states. "Show weird?" "Like gift?" Kab remained silent, looking at the others, finding it odd that Sedha picked him from the crowd. Remaining silent, the other Oque babble a bit on, but some are willing to try this walking quietly. They walk around the cocoon, trying to be silent, which they are clearly not. It tires them, though, and they start to listen to the weird noises again. Chirping, wind and the like, are all weird sounds to them. Sedha can see some Oque having left because they simply did not like the strange noise at all, while it attracted some other Oque.

Turn 5.8-5.9, Group 13, Ark

The Oque did not seem very fond of Ark, but as he starts to tell stories again, their opinion of Ark has changed. They slowly grow to accept this storyteller and learn in turn from the way he tells the stories. Their linguistic skills are stimulated by it and the children like to listen to the stories. When Ark shows a few symbols with his stick, there are a few Oque who copy that behaviour. But most just start to like Ark because of his stories. His sudden appearance and disappearance coupled with the pollen tree gives him a reputation of mystery, though the Oque still call it "weird" currently. If Ark continues this, the Oque will most likely adapt the aspect of storytelling more and more, learning better linguistic skills and will consider him that mysterious storyteller that comes and goes..

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tumine Barok, turn 5.4
    Group 5

Hello Oque! Not be afraid. Me Tumine. Tumine not beast. Help Oque. Teach Oque. Not be afraid.

Tumine walks into the midst of the trees shared by the Oque, raising her hands peacefully.

Not beast. Tumine no climb, she says, smiling at this. Want help Oque.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2008-06-07 at 01:16 PM.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 5.4, Group 5, Tumine Barok

From up in the trees, the Oque talk about Tumine. They are amazed that she can speak and that she knows of the Oque. The arbitrary question of "Tumine beast?" would have been asked if she had not told them she was not. They were still scared a bit of those raised hands.. but eventually, one Oque stepped forward. "How help Oque? Why help Oque?"
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2008-06-07 at 01:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217

Mandak, 5.2
    The time has come. The time for Mandak to meet these small, six legged forest-dwellers. He has watched as they ran from other Immortals, so he materializes in a small form, around 1m tall, and moves towards the camp he came for. "Greetings, I am Mandak, the Earthlord, and I wish to speak with you." He says this in as quiet and calm a voice as he can manage, whilst still being audible to the Oque.

8. - Top - End - #218

Ardannis, Turn 5.2, Group 31

Ardannis is taken aback at the Oque's perceptive questions, and sits next to him. Well, Yvtsk. All gods are different, and we all have different power. Mine is over traveling and trickery, like I taught you to trick beasts. Krixal has power over fire. So he could make a gift, but it would not be like this one, because his powers are different. As for making more gifts, it takes much work and energy to put my power into something. I would give many gifts to my Oque friends, but I have far to travel and many duties. I will bring gifts when I am able, but gifts with power will come only rarely, perhaps once in the lifetime of an Oque. You should treasure them, for they are rare, and many gods keep such gifts for themselves instead of giving them to their friends.

Spoiler
    Show
    We can keep this conversation going, but giving the impending end of the turn, I'm going to begin my second visit as well. I had meant to type 5.5 last time. Given that Tek has already interacted with some of the groups I meant to visit, let's keep it uncomplicated, and say that Ardannis doesn't show up until 5.6, and doesn't get around to the groups Tek visited until he leaves.

Turn 5.6, various groups

Ardannis reappears, and spends some time locating each of the groups he knows, meeting them and the new groups they may have met. With each new group, he introduces himself cordially, explaining that he is the god from whom their new friends learned their knowledge. He makes little effort to be overbearing, but lives with each group for a short while, helping their new friends in what they explain. He also tries to meet all the Oque at least once, though if they do not seem to wish it, he will not force his presence on them. In spare moments and during meals, he will entertain the Oque with little illusions, juggling shows where the balls turn into flowers, small animals and back to balls again, and so forth.

Overall, he tries to make sure all these Oque know he is their friend who wants to help him, but does not force anything on them they do not wish or like, changing or dropping the subject when necessary. If any are frustrated by the advancement of the Oque they have met, he explains that they ((members of groups 30-32)) were once just like these Oque, but advanced quickly when they learned, and that these Oque should not be discouraged, for they can become just as smart.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

9. - Top - End - #219

Tumine Barok, turn 5.4
    Group 5

Tumine Immortal. Goddess. Tumine Goddess of Water and Growing. Teach Oque about water, about growing. Protect Oque from beasts; teach Oque to protect Oque.

Tumine help Oque because Tumine like Oque. Oque special. Tumine want be friends with Oque.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 5.2, Group 22, Mandak

"Greetings? What is it Mandak wishes to speak of? Is Mandak an Immortal? Mandak is no beast?" Is the response from one of the Oque. While the majority of the group seems to flee to their huts, there are several that do not flee, but just take a safer position and then look towards Mandak with great interest. If he says that he is indeed no beast, these few Oque come down to speak with Mandak. Meanwhile, Mandak can hear the other Oque, who are in the huts, speak about Ardannis and Krixal.

Turn 5.2, Group 31, Ardannis

"Ardannis knows a lot. Yvst likes Ardannis' gift. But tell Yvst, Ardannis, if there are other Gods, why have they not visited the Oque? Have the Gods gone to visit the other beings you mentioned before? Other Oque, perhaps? Yvst finds it typical that Yvst has only seen Ardannis and heard of Krixal so far. Could Ardannis tell Yvst of the other Gods?" Asks Yvst curiously, showing interest in Ardannis and his type.

Turn 5.6, Group 22, 29, 30, 31, 32, Ardannis

When Ardannis visits group 32, it is obvious that they have not been able to find any other groups as of yet and thus have not been able to spread any teachings so far. They seem sad about it, but they do not show further pace to really go out to find those groups. The location they are is currently good and with plenty enough of food. Some ask if Ardannis does not mind, but the majority seems satisfied with the current location.

When Ardannis visits group 31, he notices that Yvst has become a more important figure in the group. The Oque ask him for advice regularly when challenged with a decision. Yvst seems pleased with Ardannis' visit again, and will try to spend some time talking with him about various things. When Ardannis' does his tricks with the other Oque, he is well received, but he may notice that Rtskink is no longer amongst the Oque. Furthermore, there has not been such an advancement in intelligence, almost none, with there still being no Oque to rival Yvst's intelligence and a number of Oque still practising some poor linguistic skills. Yvst explains that the smartest Oque have been send out to talk with the other group and thus progress has been slow here, while he has been busy as well.

In group 30, Ardannis' presence is well received and they enjoy the several activities of Ardannis. Intelligence here seems to be increased slightly towards the level of group 32 and the Oque seem generally happy here, quite a bit happier than in the other groups. This happiness is partially shared with group 29, where the groups have met and exchanged news and information. Playing Threes and Fives seems to be pretty attractive here, but especially when held against others of group 29. This seems to be because those in group 30 then have a bigger chance of winning, while those in group 29 consider it a chance to learn from the smarter ones. All in all, a happy bunch.

The atmosphere in group 22 is much different. Two other Gods have visited the place in the mean time, Mandak and Tek. Those from group 31 have interacted with them, learning new things about the Immortals and seem pleased. They also tell that Tek has had contact with two other groups, which are group 23 and 24 (they do not use those numerals though). But there still seem several Oque that do not wish to meet this Ardannis and seem to be want to be left alone. They avoid Ardannis and interaction between these groups has been more difficult. The Oque from 31 explain that the other Oque may have met too many Gods at once and that they can be overwhelmed by the new information. Still, the Oque from 31 promise to do their best to show them the good path.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

Forneus

Slightly annoyed and still waiting for an answer in the Outer Plane, Forneus phases out and focuses on his avatar again. He drags the strange wooden thing out of the water and examines it carefully. He then walks around toward drier land for a bit more (toward the direction he first saw movement), then continues talking (ignoring the nagging feeling he is talking to himself).I am Forneus, master of air and fire. I have visited many creatures and helped them understand air and fire better. With this understanding, their life becomes better. There is no use hiding, because I am strong and I can stay here until you have to come out for food.
    I can also make you come out, Forneus thinks eying the trees and amount of flammable material around. After a short consideration he decides against it because currently there is little to be gained by setting the area on fire and not having a way to extinguish it.
    Forneus walks around and tries to find any dens, focusing his search under the trees and on them.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 5.2, Forneus

As Forneus talks, the wind is his only companion. It seems that the only true response he is getting is the wind blowing by him, sometimes softly, somtimes a breeze with a bit more power, pulling at the smoke. He walks through the forest and eventually spots something moving again. However, with a quick leap he finds the source of it. It is, in this case, truly a deer. Scaring the deer away, Forneus continues his search. As the day lingers on and the sun moves in the sky, he is eventually able to spot a few dens. One seems to be a den of a small animal, which is actually that of a badger-like creature, another to be a den of a bigger creature, which is the den of a bear, and lastly, he finds a den that has been deserted by an animal. It could have been the den of a wolf creature, though Forneus does not know who the dens actually belonged to. The den of the badger-like creature did became appearant when the badger-like creature ran away with Forneus' presence. Standing before the last den, Forneus notices how the sky starts to turn towards a darker, redder colour. Orange seeps in from between the ample sky visible through the leaves and it is clear that the night is falling.

"Why want friends? Why special? Why want water? No beasts good. Tell Oque no beasts." States the Oque, asking Tumine to tell of the protection from the beast. The Oque seems to be of the sceptical type, asking questions because he does not trust it. It is for that reason that it stepped forward. Tumine can determine this as well, as the other Oque talk of him. They say he is a strong Oque and what sounds to be determined. They kind of look up to him, but only in a mild sense.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

Forneus

Rather annoyed that the table imps are slacking again, obviously taking their time far too long to answer a simple question. Forneus makes a point to remember where the den is and then goes in the vicinity, gathering a small amount of firewood. He dumps the wood in one pile and sets it aflame with somewhat excessive force (using fire cone skill) close enough to the den for the fire to shed some light on it, but far enough not to be on top of it (in fact, as far as possible). He stares at the hole for a bit and then if nothing happens goes and gathers more wood, coming back with a somewhat excessive pile (that would more than last him for the night).

Edit: both times (especially the first time), Forneus gathers wood quickly, because he doesn't exactly need the wood to be very dry. He goes around breaking large branches (although still preferring large dry ones on the ground if any) and the second time even comes back with a small uprooted tree.
    Last edited by chrono; 2008-06-07 at 02:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224

Tumine, turn 5.4
    Group 5

Tumine fight beasts for now. Teach Oque to get away all the time. Teach get food, faster, safe. Brave Oque, what name?

Tumine has lowered her hands and now simply stands, calmly looking up at the Oque. She absentmindedly pulls seeds from her seed pouch, scattering them gently on the ground near her as she talks.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 5.2, Forneus

Forneus gathers wood, lights up a fire and resides in the den for some time.

Turn 5.4, Group 5, Tumine

"Istfa. Why Oque special? Why Tumine help? Oque like help. Why Tumine help?" Isfta continues to ask, wondering why any weird creature would just walk up there and offer help. "What Tumine do?" Asks Istfa as well, as he sees Tumine scatter strange and small things around.

16. - Top - End - #226

Tumine, turn 5.4
    Group 5

Tumine Immortal, she repeats. Cannot die. Other Immortals exist. Bad Immortals, want trick Oque, make Oque fight. Tumine want teach, protect Oque. Help Oque recognize bad Immortals. Help Oque grow, learn, be safe forever.

Tumine looks down at the seeds she's been sowing.

Ah! Plant seeds, make food grow!

She bends down, setting a couple seeds further into the earth, then points to a spot in the air just in front of her. At that spot at the tip of her finger, a glob of water grows until she stops pointing and cradles the water in her webbed hands as it begins to fall. She sprinkles the water over the seeds she planted, then points to a couple of them, and tiny stalks sprout from the ground.

Tumine teach Oque plant, if Oque want. Make own food, not go look, not hungry. She looks back up at them again. What Oque want learn?

Spoiler
    Show
    three first-level miracles used, one Least Create Water and two Least Growths.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2008-06-07 at 03:21 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

"Immortals bad.. Immortals trick.. Tumine Immortal.. Tumine trick?" Asks the Oque. However, it does not ask it in a normal questioning tone. It is more of a statement, implying that they can not trust Tumine.

Despite that being said, Timune has managed to draw the attention of many Oque. This is due to her miracles. She made water manifest out of thin air and made plants grow! The Oque are simply amazed beyond belief and look in wonder at her. "Tumine tricks Oque! Look Oque!" Says Istfa to the other Oque. This causes more muttering, more babbling until another Oque speaks up. "Want do that. Want grow plant. Grow fast! How grow fast?" "Why Erst?" "Erst want food. Fast food!" This causes some babbling amongst the Oque and then they look down towards Tumine again..

18. - Top - End - #228

Tumine Barok, turn 5.4
    Group 5

Good, good Oque! Learn fast! Oque pay attention to Immortals. All Immortals say 'Me good.' Oque watch; decide on own if Immortals good.

Tumine looks up at the one the others called Erst, and to the one who spoke earlier, Istfa.

Tumine teach Oque, make food. Maybe fast, maybe not. Tumine not know. Teach plant; grow food, not look for food. Maybe Oque make grow fast with Quax? Try?

At these last two sentences, Tumine indicates the seeds on the ground and takes several steps back, inviting the Oque to come down and try their hands at growing things with Quax. If this works, she thinks, I shall have to teach the others! And, I shall have to make more seed pouches, it seems.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2008-06-07 at 04:06 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha

Sedha turns happily to the Oque who spoke about the "world sounds." "Yes. Sedha give gift to Oque to teach. Oque learn world sounds. Beasts make special world sounds. Gift help Oque. Oque can learn beast world sounds. Beast sounds mean beast near. Oque use gift to know when beast coming. Help Oque."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

"Tumine trick." Istfa says. To Istfa, it is clear, this Immortal can not be trusted - it said so! "Tumine bad." It says, but many Oque do not listen. They do hear what he says then. "Tumine not know. Not know food. Not know grow! Tumine say! How teach? Try not work!" A bold statement. It said that Tumine could not at all and that the attempt made by any Oque would not work. A bold prediction.

Despite the bold words, there were Oque that came down towards the seeds, towards the tiny stalks. If this attempt would fail, if she could not teach them, Tumine would look bad. Then, Erst and several Oque's started. They started to focus, started to try and use their Quax. They tried all at the same time, all tried to effect one single seed. They tried, giving it their all, pushing their will into it, wanting it more than anything else for that single moment.

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

There was no effect, nothing grew, nothing had happened, nothing at all. The Oque were not even tired from their attempt as they had just found out that it was not reacting. It seemed, quite frankly, impossible. Not the least sign it was possible, not the least sign that it could happen.

And Tumine looked bad.

The Oque flew up their trees again and Tumine heard the Oque. "Tumine trick." "Tumine trick." "Tumine trick." "Tumine trick." "Tumine trick." "Tumine trick." They did not want to listen to her any more and eventually, Istfa spoke up loudly. "Tumine go!"

Not all Oque agreed with this, but nobody spoke up. The majority did agree with it, but there was a silent minority. They were interested, thinking that the Oque had given up too soon. Or thinking that this was not right, too much or any other reason that might go through their heads. Yet they did not speak up. Some joined the shouting, reacting to the others. And the silent minority was behind the vocal minority, out of sight of Tumine. She could not see it and thus it seemed as if the whole group disliked her.

Turn 5.1, Group 3, Sedha

What Sedha suggested still met quite some resistance. Some thought it may be valid, but most simply did not, attributing the noise to the device and solely the device. For the Oque to be convinced, Sedha was left with a single option. Leave the gift here and let them play with it and use it over an extended period of time. Then, who knows what will happen? One of the Oque tried to suggest something like this.. but failed utterly due to lack of ability to express itself with its current linguistic capability.

21. - Top - End - #231

Tumine Barok, turn 5.4
    Group 5

Tumine does not seem even slightly put off by their obvious distrust and rejection of her.

Good Oque. Good thinking, but Tumine not trick. Tumine good. If Tumine bad, why not hurt Oque? Why watch; why stay? Said, 'not know.' Said, 'maybe not.' Not know everything about Quax. Oque not know everything about Quax. Always know Quax make huts, bend wood? No, other Oque teach. One Oque, before, not know, try bend wood. Worked! Oque now, try grow fast. Not work. Not trick, mean try other things.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am assuming that Tumine knows that the Oque are not born with a knowledge of how to make huts, having learned that from the other colonies.

Tumine know food. Tumine know water; know grow. Not know Quax, not much. Learn Quax from Oque; Oque learn Planting, Food, Water from Tumine.

Tumine will stay here, resolutely attempting to teach them, all the way through 5.4 and possibly into 5.5 if things start going better. If any beasts appear during any of these days, she will fight them off in an attempt to gain the Oque's trust, always interposing herself between Beasts and Oque. If she finds herself outmatched, she will blast the beast with a powerful jet of water, knocking it back several meters and keeping it at bay until it decides she is not worth it anymore.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level 2 miracle, Water Splitting Stone. She will use this up to once.
    She will teach them more of whatever any of them expresses any interest in until this time, at which point she will explain that she must leave, but that she will return soon and to keep working on the things she had taught, and she will be back soon to help them more. She then Demanifests and Remanifests herself back to group 8.

Turn 5.5wheneverTumineleaves-5.69
    Group 8

Here, Tumine will join back in on the activities with raft-building and help the Oque refine their paddle-making and usage. She will also tell them everything that happened when she found group 5, in the form of stories while they work, gather food, eat, or whatnot, to keep them all entertained. She says that she will be journeying again to the other group (in a month or two), and though she will not suggest it, if any Oque volunteer to accompany her, she will gladly accept their company and aid, especially if it's still been rough going with group 5. Other than that, she spends the next several weeks with Group 8, with occasional visits to Group 7, by raft if their technology permits it at any time.

Spoiler
    Show
    As you can tell, this is a general wrap-up post, so we can sort out the details of exactly what she teaches Group 5 (if anything) and all the rest tomorrow, since I know you're going to bed soon or in the past, and I'll roleplay her departure from group 5 accordingly.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by Zweanslord View Post

"Greetings? What is it Mandak wishes to speak of? Is Mandak an Immortal? Mandak is no beast?" Is the response from one of the Oque. While the majority of the group seems to flee to their huts, there are several that do not flee, but just take a safer position and then look towards Mandak with great interest. If he says that he is indeed no beast, these few Oque come down to speak with Mandak. Meanwhile, Mandak can hear the other Oque, who are in the huts, speak about Ardannis and Krixal.
    Mandak, 5.2
    Mandak is pleased that the reaction of these beings is not obviously hostile; he still remembers the Zygon with surprising clarity. "Yes, I am an Immortal, and no beast. I wish to help your people. To best do this, I wish to stay amongst you for a time, and learn your ways. I will do you no harm." He means exactly that. If their reaction is accepting, he will spend about a month staying with them, and observing their culture. More importantly, though, he will be on the lookout for what things seem to challenge them the most.

23. - Top - End - #233

Ardannis, Turn 5.2 (wrap-up), Group 31

Spoiler
    Show
    Did you really mean to say "typical", rather than "strange" or some other word? It seems like an odd choice of words from him...typical of what?

Yes, there are many beings to visit. Even among the Oque, there are many groups, perhaps as many in number as the legs of five or six Oque. And while the gods are powerful, we are not so many in number that we have all visited all the beings yet. Ardannis tells Yvst of a few different Immortals, mostly the ones he already knows - impetuous Krixal, organizing, instructing Tek, crafty Tirus the Toolmaker, and cold Iklekos, making sure to include the powers they have and how they differ from his own. He finishes with Is there anything I have not taught that you would particularly like to hear of, or that many Oque would gladly hear? I may be able to convince another Immortal to visit, if you wish it.

Intrigued by Yvst's inquiries, Ardannis thinks a moment, then says It has always been known to me that I could put power into things, such as your Careful Eyes. However, it may be that I could also put my power into beings, if I tried. Then you would not need a gift to hold to have power from the gods. Would you like to try it? I doubt it would harm you, even if it fails.

If Yvsy agrees, Ardannis removes the Wary Eyes from him, then tries to give him the same power the headband has directly. Remembering how long it took to permanently empower the headband, he at first tries to give Yvst the power for only a few seconds. If that works, he moves on to trying longer durations. If not he will instead try a few other possibilities, such as trying to send the power of a Flick of Shadow miracle into Yvst, so that he can direct the miracls himself instead of just watching Ardannis cast it. If all attempts fail, Ardannis gives a small shrug and finishes the conversation.

((If an attempt succeeds, I'll just add a blurb to this wrap-up to details Ardannis' reaction.))

Turn 5.6, Wrap-ups

Group 32

Ardannis assures them that he does not mind, and gladly assents to any inclination they have to stay put.

Group 31

Ardannis has little to say to such steady progress. After a few cheerful days of companionably living with the Oque, he congratulates their progress and moves on. He does spend some extra time speaking with those who speech is still simpler - never mentioning it specifically, but merely conversing pleasantly with them in the hopes of giving them some practice.

Group 30

Ardannis has a great time playing games with the fast-growing members of groups 30 and 29, getting to know these new Oque who love his games. He makes a point of meeting each of the new Oque (if it is not awkward) and speaking to them for at least a brief, getting to know them.

Group 22

After realizing the situation, Ardannis withdraws nearly entirely from the teaching the Oque are doing, helping out directly only when specifically asked. He does this passively, however, and does not detract from their efforts. Instead, he spends more time sitting by himself on a rock near the main part of the camp, whittling a puzzle box or perhaps a Patience. He will cheefully engage in conversation with any Oque who approach him, and his hope is that, over the time he spends with the group, curiosity will bring at least some of the reluctant Oque to him.
    To the teachers, he praises their work, and reminds them that each Oque is free to choose what they want. If any Oque clearly do not want god-teachings, he says that it is best to respect what they want, even if the teaching Oque do not feel that is best.

((General))

Having had much time to sit by himself and think during this visit to the Oque, Ardannis decides that he may have been pushing them too far too fast. Though he took care not to openly force them into anything, he'd forgotten that a recommendation from a god could easily carry the weight of a command from anyone else. Having come to these thoughts, he spends some of his energy in each camp listening to the Oque he talks to, and trying to figure out what they want most.
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-06-08 at 01:36 AM.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

Forneus

Turn 5.2

After spending the night in front of the den, Forneus shrugs and demanifests. He uses the rest of turn 5.2 and some of 5.3 to finish his item creation.

Turn 6.0
    Forneus manifests in the location where Falenra indicated that there were Oque for certain. Slightly irritated, he tries the exact same approach he did the first time.
    Last edited by chrono; 2008-06-08 at 03:39 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good to have Mandak with Oque. Mandak can help the Oque. Mandak can stay with the Oque and learn as long as Mandak does not harm." Which signifies a warm welcome. Mandak can stay with the Oque, learning what he can. He sees them building huts and is shown that they can use jolt as well. Some Oque can imbue branches with light and are teaching it to the others. There seems to be a clear difference between smart and dumber Oque, with the smart ones in the minority and teaching all kinds of things to the dumber ones. They teach a better way of language, instead of speaking with 2-3 words per sentence. Furthermore, they teach of games, light and talk about Ardannis and occassionaly Krixal. Mandak learns that the smart ones came from a group which Ardannis visited and are now spreading the teachings to this group.

The dumber Oque do not seem to wish to get close to Mandak, not really trusting him that much as of yet. The smart ones seem very interested in Mandak and try to make time free besides their teaching to talk with Mandak, teach him about their ways and ask what he has to offer. They let him stay and study and tell him of their own experiences in the other group. They tell they the Oque eat plants and fruit and even gets to see one group of three Oque performing some kind of mating ritual in the distance. This was appearant when the eyes of the three Oque started giving light after what seems to be a hug with paws held together.

Mandak also learns that what the Oque fear the most are beasts and illnesses. During his visit, he sees one ill Oque, which eventually dies as well. He also hears that one group of only three Oque who had went out to look for food are missing. A few days later, they are found dead, eaten upon. When Mandak eventually leaves, the Oque that avoided him still avoid him, but the smart ones come and tell that they hope to see him soon again, curious if next time he can teach them something.

While Tumine does not seem putt off, the Oque do not seem put off by her speech either. They remain stubborn and under the guidance of Istfa, they argument with her. Very ineffectively, because it just comes to: "Tumine trick." Basically, Tumine can hear the response between the others though. To her question of why she not hurt, they don't know. But she said Immortals tricked, so she is tricking the Oque now!

Despite that, even if the Oque would be more willing, they do not see any use for what she says. Growing plants, and thus food, has been an utterly unsuccesful attempt. And making water appear of no where? That ain't gonna happen either. So, in short, she may wish to help, but she can not teach them the things she offered. This causes the vocal majority to keep the upper hand. When Tumine stays and does not go away, one Oque tries to pick her up and replace her. If she does not allow that or comes back, the Oque converse with each other and then decide to just move away from her instead. The silent minority follows, since they do not want to be left alone and, like the others, do not really see that much of a use in teachings which they can not use.

Turn 5.5-5.6, Group 8, Tumine

When Tumine returns to group 8, she at least gets a warm welcome again. They are very happy with her paddle making and their skill with making rafts progresses accordingly, including a paddle now. When she tells of group 5, the Oque seem surprised, but listen interestinginly. They wonder why the group reacted as it did and recognise Istfa as a trouble maker according to the story. When Tumine tells of going to group 7, the three Oque, Reftsk, Tumfst and Minfte, wish to come along. Together, they create four rafts and four paddles, each suitable for one person and some extra leg space. When they first wanted to go, they decide against it, since the stream seems a bit unruly, but the day after, the three and Tumine go.

They move along the stream, on their rafts. The rafts are composed out of wood, warped together. They are not square, but more oval. An Oque is able to stand on it, but here they 'sit' on it, which means they rest their main body on the raft. They use two of their legs to hold the paddle and use it clumsily to move along, rowing on one side and then the other. The other four legs are used to stabilise the Oque on the still primitive rafts. All in all, the rafts are not of the best quality, but they get the job done, especially now with the paddles. Tumine does see several opportunities to instruct the other Oque on how to paddle better.

As the group moves on the water, which gently streams on, they use their paddles to put force on it and move against the current. Water splashes along their paddles and they get somewhat wet too, but they do nto seem to mind overly much. Sometimes, Tumine sees some water coming on the eye of an Oque, but they do not immediately blink. The trip goes on, leading them along the gentle stream, along a peaceful scenery. Tumine can enjoy it more, since she can hear the gentle sounds of the stream, the wind, the forest and the birds. The sight is very nice, offering a nice view on all kinds of trees close to the stream. Eventually, they have to halt since it is getting dark. They take their appropriate rests along the shore for the night and other times when they are getting tired. But eventually the journey continues and at the end of it, the other group comes into sight.

When the group of three Oque and Tumine arrives at group 7, they are brought in with a great deal of cheer, as the Oque are amazed at the journey made and proud of the rafts. They marvel at the skill of Reftsk, Tumfst and Minfte, and especially Tumine herself. They listen gladly to the tale of the journey and some suggest that they should do that more often, to have trips between the groups to exchange stories, news and teachings. This sounds good, though this is eventually done only rarily.

Turn 5.2, Group 31, Ardannis
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, I did mean for Yvst to say strange.

As Ardannis tells of Krixal, Tek, Tirus and Iklekos, Yvst listens interestingly. He seems glad with the information and when Ardannis tells about convincing another Immortal to visit, he does respond to that. "Beasts are still dangerous. Ardannis tricks are helpful, but they do not make the Oque stronger in beating them. Oque jolt is not stronger because of tricks. Krixal, Tek, Trus and Iklekos do not seem to have powers that could help us for a longer time. Are there Gods who can help with jolt?"

When Ardannis speaks of trying to imbue power, Yvst is more than willing to try it out. He is willing to let Ardannis try to for a longer period if it has no immediate success. Taking off the headband, he lets Ardannis try. Unfortunately, despite Ardannis trying, it does not seem to work, nor do the variations of allowing Yvst to control the Flick of Shadow miracle. Yvst understands this and simply adds the question: "Ardannis not know all Ardannis abilities?" Whatever Ardannis gives as response, Yvst shows the willingness to understand.

Turn 5.6, Ardannis

In Group 31, the Oque are happy to talk with him and some offer to try Threes or Fives against Ardannis. In group 29 and 30, some Oque find it strange that Ardannis shows specific interest for them, but kind of feel more special because of it. At the end of the visit, it seems that the Oque group is perhaps a tad more happier or accepting of the other group and Ardannis. In Group 22, it seems wise for Ardannis not to intervere with those who try to avoid him. It does not seem to antagonise them further, but almost none do show some interest to meet up with this strange being. Only three which are originally from group 22 visit him to converse, curious by the puzzle box and the patience. When Ardannis shows it to them, two marvel at it, while the third seems unhappy when he does not get it at all. Those from group 31 do visit him often, curious in conversation and glad to have him with him.

When Ardannis asks the groups what they wish most, it seems that most still dislike beasts nearby and dislike how Oque can get sick. In group 32, they seem to wish a new game, while in group 29 and 30 the Oque seem to wish a game where more can participate. In group 31, the Oque find the making signs for finding food and water very useful and wonder if it can be made better. In group 22, the smart Oque seem to have a similar desire as group 31.

Turn 6.0, Group 22

Group 22. They have met Group 31 and some of the Oque of Group 31 have stayed. They are superior in intelligence and always win the games they have learned to the other Oque. They talk in a strange manner, much longer and complex. They wish to teach the Oque of group 22, but some feel threatened by their superiority. Then, Mandak came, an Immortal of which the Oque of the Other Group told. It looks weird and looks around. It seems likewise superior in intelligence and the Oque avoid this strange being. It gives more attention to the smarter Oque, though it is in fact the smarter ones who ask more attention. Then, another Immortal came! Tek, likewise more superior and again the smarter Oque get more attention. To top it off, another Immortal came.. Ardannis, the original Immortal of which the smarter Oque spoke.

Jealousy now dictates the live of several Oque in this group. They are jealous of the attention that has been given to the other Oque. They are jealous of all the wondrous things that have been taught to the smarter Oque and not them. The smarter ones are teaching them now, yes, but they treat the dumber Oque with an air of superiority. When they do not get something, the smarter ones try again, annoyed and clearly letting them notice they are dumb. They hear that the other group has a smart Oque which even got a present which makes him look better.

Some of these unhappy Oque have been meeting with each other, away from the smarter ones. They did not knew what to do. They did not knew how to react. Until one came with a good idea. They would listen, teach each other and become smarter. They would learn from the others. But not just that! They would train their jolt better. And when the right time came.. they would overthrow these smart Oque and would let them feel their.. their.. wrath. And so, a new concept was introduced. The unhappy Oque smiled again.

Now, they prepare. They have been learning a lot from the smarter Oque, trying to act dumb still so they would not notice. They act as if they are stupid, but when away from the smarter Oque, they teach each other and make sure that they can not be bossed around by the smarter Oque again. They train each other to use better Jolts. One time, they even went out to slay a beast just for training. When this was a great success, the Oque smiled. Under leadership of Rarst, the one who thought up the plan, they will strike.

But, the Immortals must not find them. So they suggest to move away, due to lack of food. The Oque accept this, and some more Oque from group 31 come to help them. The group moves to another location and after some time, they decide to strike..

Turn 6.1, Group 22

Wertsk was resting in his hut. It was a new Oque, recently from group 31 to this Other Group. Yvst had told several Oque that they needed to be taught. That they needed to be taught, but also needed to be, in a way, controlled. They had to help these new Oque and show a better way. Wertsk was now here and it was annoyed. These Oque were stupid and could not even do the simplest things. But it would be patient, just like with Patience.

Laying in its hut, it saw it getting lighter. But then, it suddenly heard something. Screams of danger, screams of attack. Screams that jolt was being used and screams going quieter. Then, suddenly five Oque climbed up his tree as he got up quickly to see what was wrong. "What is going o-" The Oque was interrupted as the five each threw jolts at it and they hurt more than his own jolt could ever. He screamed out, but was quickly beaten up by the five Oque in combination with their jolts.

"Oque beat Other Group Oque! Oque better! Other Group Oque bad!" Screams one Oque loudly: Rarst. Six Oque had come from group 31 and four were still alive, heavily beaten up. They were brought before the other twenty four Oque and Rarst spoke up again. "What will Oque do with Other Group Oque?" And the terrifying response came from the group... "Hurt! Hurt! Hurt!" The four Oque screamed out in terror, yet would any hear their call?

Turn 6.0, Group 19, 20, 33

Within group 19, 20 and 33, the tale of the great beasts is still known. The great beasts are Immortals and the groups have trained in case any would attack them. They have gone out to kill beasts in their vicinity. Not for food, but for safety. They climb in trees for ambushes and then jolt the beasts. They have trained their jolt more than any other group and live closely together. This has caused them to move a lot and unlike many other groups with huts, they are do not reside at places for long durations. They just make huts when the weather seems to get bad and otherwise put more effort in climbing and hunting down beasts with their improved jolt abilities.

6.0, Group 24, Forneus

Forneus approached the group and shouted: "Creatures of this land, show yourself. I am Forneus and I have come to help you master the elements." And he, indeed got some response as he heard voices in the distance. "Who Forneus?" "Oque?" "What elements?" "Vabt not know." Which is clearly more speech to each other, before they show themselves. It does seem they expect to see an Oque. When this is not the case, but instead they see a very large strange smokey creature many legs in the air and only two on the ground. Due to it's size and stranginess, it is very frightened to the Oque. Thus, they immediately look very frightened and they start to shout out "Danger!" "Beast!" "Flee!" And they flee as fast as they can. They rush through brushes and scream out loud, with all the other Oque of the group soon participating and running away. Forneus can hear the sound get less loud as they run away. However, he does hear this: "Beast eat Forneus!" Which clearly indicates that they think that the beast they saw, which was actually Forneus, at the one that was speaking before.. which was Forneus, but they expected the one speaking to be an Oque.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2008-06-08 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Colour tag needed fixin'

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

Forneus

Turn 6.0, group 24

Forneus instinctively runs after the fleeing creatures. When he hears their dialogue his jaw drops and he almost does a facepalm at the same time. Quit being stubborn and stupid. I am Forneus and I can catch each one of you. Also I don't eat Oque. Forneus shouts after the fleeing group as he proceeds to chase down the nearest small (hopefully infant) Oque and sweeps it off the ground. You're alive because I want you alive. Now tell the others to stop running. He growls at it and squeezes it (not enough to cause pain, but to demonstrate intention).

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 6.0, Group 24, Forneus

The cries of fleeing become louder as Forneus gives chase. As it is obviously giving chase, the Oque start to spread out, running away in panic and climbing in trees and just trying to get away from that scary thing. When he speaks up about stubborn and stupid, no Oque can hear him because they are shouting too loud about the danger. Running away, through trees, on trees, and the like, every one tries to get as far away as possible from Forneus. Unfortunately, some are less capable than others. Such as children, who are less fast. Some are carried by others, but others are not. Forneus sees two adult Oque rushing through some bushes some distance before him, with two children following. the closest one is the smallest and slowest and he sweeps it off the ground firmly. When it then talks to the little infant, it starts to cry and scream. "WAAAAAHHH!!!" Even after the squeeze it screams, until Forneus realises this Oque may be too young to be able to talk like the others.

28. - Top - End - #238

Ark 6.8-6.9, group 13

As soon as Ark comes back, he uses his new miracle, eager to learn all there was to know about their breeding system and how it worked in order to be able to counsel the Oque and gain some amount of credibility for at least -something-

Spoiler
    Show
    Miracle level 2:
    + Read Breeding System

With the result, he will start to think of ways to help the "pregnancy" or the "maturation" along, and, as usual, will talk and tell stories of deities and Herbivores which are as big as 10 Oque (he will teach them basic numbers if they don't seem to know). He will also illustrate his stories with drawings, also elaborating the way they express themselves, introducing concepts such as leadership and responsibility.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Danger!" "Beast!" "Flee!" And they flee as fast as they can. They rush through brushes and scream out loud, with all the other Oque of the group soon participating and running away. Forneus can hear the sound get less loud as they run away. However, he does hear this: "Beast eat Forneus!"
    Zwean, you have no idea how much that made me laugh.
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-06-08 at 07:34 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 6.8-6.9, Group 13, Ark

When Ark starts to talk about numbers, the Oque are vaguely interested and pick up quickly enough. At least, some, while others have more difficulty with it. They try to count by using their legs, but then have difficulties with 7 and up. Meanwhile, most still like to listen to the Story Teller. They listen to the wondrous stories, where still most are confident that those things do not happen, but that starts to blur as some children were raised with those children already and think it might be possible. The current children ask if it was so, but the Oque clearly say that such things are ridiculous. That is like saying there is a very, very, very big pond somewhere with more water than, than.. the sky is large! And so, the Oque continue to listen, still very interested in the stories and the drawings. They are surprised by the introduction of leadership and responsibility, but still enjoy the stories, even though some do not understand some parts of it.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

Forneus

Turn 6.0, Group 24

Forneus pauses for a moment and eyes the screaming Oqueling in his hands. Great, could this species make things any more difficult? Won't your parents come back for you? Forneus asks at the weird creature, not expecting a response. Ah well, things have to be done the Niddog way. Forneus grabs a firm hold of the creature, while trying not to hurt it. He then looks around trying to find the tree most full of Oque. If the others have already made their way screaming, maybe a few Oque up a tree will have enough presence of mind to hear him out. Worth a try.

Forneus rushes toward the chosen tree and stares up. Glancing around one last time to avoid surprises, he lifts his handfull of Oque toward the ones in the tree. Why don't the Oque protect their young? I don't eat Oque, but you shouldn't run screaming like this all the time. Forneus grins. Because it doesn't help one bit. He launches himself up and grabs a hold of a branch that looks like can support his weight (using item: boots). Struggling a bit for having to balance on his legs and just one hand, Forneus looks at the Oque in the tree. Do you understand the words I am saying or should I put you in my hand and ask again? He lifts up his right hand (the one holding the small Oque) and gives it a careful squeeze (and stops squeezing once he gets a reaction or once he feels it may be damaging to the creature). Answer me. I don't eat Oque and I'm not here to hurt you.

Truth be told, with all the screaming and running around, Forneus is actually starting to entertain the idea.