New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Pius Fidelus: Convert the Niddog

Ardannis, Turn 8.6

Having been engaged with the remainder of the Oque's exodus, Ardannis comes as soon as he is able. Leaving the wall and garden salvaging to the gods who taught such tools to begin with. He will help save them only if directly asked (digging trenches to lead water away from them, etc).

He mostly focuses his efforts on ensuring the Niddog have food to eat during the destruction of their gardens. He tells them not to worry overly about the trails for now - they will be cluttered and the Niddog can do little about that for now. To try to clean and restore them before the end of the storm would be only to see them quickly ruined again.

Instead, he teaches them how to weave rough nets out of vines, to take advantage of higher, more swiftly flowing streams. To supplement the fish, he helps them find types of plants and roots that are less ravaged by the storm than others. If the Trailblazers have arrived home by this point, they may hopefully be able to help with this.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

2. - Top - End - #242

Ark, Niddog, 8.7-8.8

Akam manifests himself to the Niddog once more. He tells them of the storm that has devastated multiple other races and that it has passed. They are, for now, safe from any other disaster.

Teaching them about farming again, he moves around the different families and tells them of a new way of preaching. Recently, there has been an increased amount of prayers directed towards him. He hears them all. This makes listening particularly difficult at times when they need him the most.

"This is why you should build inside your earthen walls a room. A room that is dedicated to me in which you can all pray. This room would be ruled by a Priest, or a Priestess, chosen among you, to act as a messenger. Then the prayers can reach me through that messenger and be easier to understand."

Moving towards them, he then explains another resource they have around them but have likely not used much: Resin.

Finding an appropriate tree with an exposed wound, he will show the Zygon how resin can be used as glue to stick things together. He demonstrates with leaves or sticks, using resin to glue them together. He proceeds showing them that using resin, warped wood and greens, they can create rough sorts of baskets (He will probably have a hard time doing it himself, but will be able to direct their efforts) to carry water or items around, a lot handier than lumbering themselves with all this weight under their arms and over their shoulders.

Akam also helps canalizing (He is at full height) water from nearby streams for him to teach the Niddog about irrigation. He also asks for the leader (Either a he or a she), and tell him/her he can make an egg come out faster, askin which one among all of them he (or she) would like to promote. Whichever that one is, a miracle is cast upon it.

Spoiler
    Show
    + Conceive, Lesser (Sentient):

Will make a fetus or egg (or whatever the medium is) be conceived earlier.
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-06-19 at 08:14 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

[Posting for Rogue Dragon due to bad access.]

End of turn 8/Beginning of turn 9
    ((OOC: [strike]Take 2, I tried posting once[/strike]Take 3 I've tried posting twice now, but apparently the boards lost my post, sorry for my lack of existance, the boards have been extremely angry at me, apparently they need more goat blood or something. Until I can acquire the requisite sacrifice, I'm going to see what I can do with AIM and have other post for me after writing it up.))

The Great-Storm Finally passes, but the Niddog are still left with problems after the storm. The forest is left in ruins, with branches and up-rooted bushes left everywhere, many of the prey-animals have left the area, and many of the fruit-bearing plants have suffered great damage. It will be some time before the land is able to recover, and many of the Niddog are talking of moving to other areas, where food and shelter may be more abundant and easier to find. However the greatest damage to the Niddogs was not to their homes, or to their food, but to their faith. While before many great beings had called the Niddog friend, and came to them in their times of need, only two arrived when they suffered nature's fury. And while the elders still hold faith in the old gods, the Younglings as a whole turn to these two Deities alone, Ark and Ardannis. The teachings of the others seem to have gone more into disuse. The home of the Burnt-One flooded, leaving no-one to experiment with newer ways of fire. Earthome, likewise flooded, it's walls collapsing burying many of his worshippers, and hiding his artifact beneath the muddied ground. The great experiment of forneus has now shattered, the families he brought together separating in the storm to go their own ways, though one group still faithful to him yet holds the bracers of flight. Music-bringer, now growing older, wanders the many Paths of the Niddogs, singing out to her missing god, and calling out to the younglings who she lost track of in the storm.

Ark 8.7-8.8
    Ark finds that many of the older generation are somewhat jaded, not caring much to listen to beings other than Niddog, however the younglings gladly circle around you and listen, learning what you have to say, and taking almost anything you say with a blind trust. Though the adults present do not seem to like the idea of building a room just so that he can hear them, many of the younglings promise to do so when they have a home of their own.
    The younglings also take well to the idea of using resin as glue, however when AKam starts trying to get them to make baskets and buckets, they merely ask "Why do we need to move water by hand? You just taught us to have the ground carry the water for us, carried to our crops, near to our fires, what else needs carried?"

4. - Top - End - #244

Ark, 9.7-9.8

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Sorry, the previous post was a 9.7-9.8 post))

Ark tells the younglings the idea is to make things easier to carry, and not so much the idea of having water in it. Though when floods occur and there's lots of water getting inside, you can use those to scoop water out of the area. Mainly, however, they would be designed to hold and stabilize objects.

"Fruits could be carried, unharmed by the strength of the holder. Wholesome and fresh off the tree for enjoyment." He continues saying the baskets could also be used as a convenient holder for bringing water or food to sick Niddog that can't move on their own.

He also asks after showing them seeds of a particular plant: "How would you carry lots of these as well? Instead of carrying them by handfuls and risking dropping some, you can carry them in those. And what of earth? It must be fairly hard moving things around."

And, demonstrating, he gathers seeds from all a same type of plant and puts them all in one basket. He then holds it up, and if held up effectively and not shaken, no seed would come out.

He also insists that the Niddog should remember that in times of hardship, all elders, younglings and adults agree and work in the favor of the group. Ark helps all of them without exception, and he will insist that even if there isn't any hardship, the young should listen to the old when experimenting in the older ways, and the old should listen to the young when experimenting with the new ways.

Moving on, he then also explains they should gather the extra food that they don't eat as soon as it matures, for then they will have a reserve of food that lasts. If they leave it outside, animals, birds and other green-eaters will come pick them up and steal their work. He then explains how to keep that food away from other non-sentient beings: "You should store it in a separate cool -but not damp- room, with one entrance that is roughly Niddog-sized, but off the ground, because otherwise animals can crawl in or jump in, so it must be a good distance off the ground."

Before he leaves, he speaks to the Niddog and would, if any are willing, give his blessings to the younglings inside the eggs. And once he is done with that, he will ask them if they know of any other Niddog that need help. Once he knows this, he will prepare for departure, walking a distance away and waving to the Niddog.

"Farewell! I will come back for you, do not fear. For now, I will call your home Tilled Fields in congratulations to your new ways."

And finally with those words, he demanifests, leaving only a few floating particles of light suspended in mid-air.
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-06-19 at 10:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

End of Turn 9/Beginning of Turn 10
    Some time has passed, and the land of the Niddog seems to be growing more stable once again. The elders are slowly phasing out, and the younglings are becoming more and more enamored with the new ways, though a slight divide does seem to be forming. Some are merely happy to sit in their homes, tending their garden's and slowly expanding their walls. Others however grow tired of the day-to-day life of farming and building. They seek adventure, and travel. For now they spend much of their time wandering the trails, which now grow closer and closer to becoming true roads. But it is only a matter of time before there are no new sites left for the Niddog to see in their small corner of the forest, and an expansion is bound to occur soon.
    The two Primary deities of the Niddog remain the same. Ark, who teaches them to grow and prosper. And Ardannis, who teaches them to explore and love the world that has not yet been seen. Though Sedha still holds some sway amongst those few specialized in healing, her following is neither growing nor shrinking.
    Faster than a speeding wombat, more agile than a drunken Giraffe, able to leap off tall buildings in a single bound, it's PANTSMAN!!

6. - Top - End - #246

Ardannis returns to the Niddog, glad to see them so well recovered from the storm. After making sure the trails had been cleared again and that younglings could once again travel freely, he gathers some younglings to him and begins to teach them.

Now that walls and gardens allow the Niddog to remain in one place as long as they wish, trails can be made larger into roads. Since you always know the family you travel to is going to be there, you can spend the energy to make the trail wider and safer, since it will be in use for some time.

He travels for some time (.25 of a turn) around the Niddog lands, helping the younglings expand the trail system. If they have advanced ot the point where they have goods to carry, he shows them how to make simple carts that a Niddog can push or drag, which should encourage them to make their trails larger. He also plays lots of games with them on the road - tag, catch, hide'n'seek - expanding on the ones he taught them earlier. Lastly, he teaches them how to call on him.

Building another sign for a new trail one day, Ardannis makes it larger and slightly more elaborate, with two posts to rest on instead of one. On it, he forms a symbol, a circle bisected by a vertical line. The line is the staff of Ardannis, which he carries to aid him on his journies. The circle is the sun, which shines on all the lands that Ardannis travels. Build a sign like this at the beginning of each trail. Then, when Niddog set out on a journey, stop by the sign and think to Ardannis, asking him to lend your feet strength and your ears wariness to see the journey safely through. Then I will hear you ,and can watch over your travels.

Ardannis spreads these teachings as far through the Niddog as he can manage before leaving.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ardannis 10.1
    The Niddog do not have a particularly large amount of storage, mostly they use their bucket-like baskets to carry water and seeds, though a few carry food from one area to another. While most seem happy to work with Ardannis on merely expanding the trails into roads, others amongst the younglings seem to have a case of wanderlust that mere road-building would not likely cure. A young female, who suffers from this wanderlust says to Ardannis "I wish to travel further, past these roads, and the gardens. I want to see the wilderness, I want to make my home where no Niddog has travelled before. I want to make my home at the end of a new road. Can you help me?"

Furthermore the Sign that Ardannis has given them is now placed at the beginning and end of every new road that the Niddog make. Though not all pray to Ardannis at the sign, everyone begins to recognize the sign as a signal that the path is newer and better maintained than most.
    Faster than a speeding wombat, more agile than a drunken Giraffe, able to leap off tall buildings in a single bound, it's PANTSMAN!!

8. - Top - End - #248

Ark, 10.6, Tilled Fields

Ark descends upon the Niddog in a great sphere of light, opening slightly, a familiar figure comes out. It is Ades, not Akam, that has come back to Tilled Fields. He is as tall as a tree, standing at fifteen feet tall like his brother and his green eyes glow brightly. He moves with grace, approaching the Niddog and crouching down to see them in the eye.

"Greetings to the Niddog of Tilled Fields. I come to you because Akam has told me of your recent plight under the great storm. He had protected you, but many other families have been destroyed in this event. I come to you so I may set out to find them, help them as I may and lead them back here to help you in Tilled Fields."

"For there is lots to learn of other Niddog, and the more numerous you are, the better you will be prepared against enemies and the more work can be done on the walls and the fields."

He pauses, looking around for something, or perhaps someone. Pushing a strand of hair back behind his ear, he watches the Niddog curiously.

"I see the elders have come and gone. So tell me, what of the room I told you about? Is it ready? Can I see it?"

---

After the interaction (We can still go at it.), Ark will then prepare to move to an area that was in need of assistance after the Storm.
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-06-22 at 12:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ark 10.6, Tilled Fields
    A farely large female leads the groupe that greats Ark's Avatar, "Ades! You're back! We built the room, just as you asked. At first the Elders didn't like the idea, but we made it out in the fields. We do the work there, so they can not tell us no there." The female leads Ades to a green bushy structure in the field. Though at first it might look like little more than a tangled patch of bushes, when Ades inspects it closer he finds that it is actually a frame of wood, covered with a bind-weed like plant. Burrowing down under the entrance is a hole into the ground leading to a small underground chamber, held partially together by the roots permeating the ceiling. Hanging from the walls are many baskets, filled with seeds from the various plants that the Niddog grow. "All the tillers come here before they start the gardening, and think of Ark. Have we done well?" asks the female, a tinge of worry in her voice.

10. - Top - End - #250

Ark 10.6, Tilled Fields

"You have done very well. Excellent. What is your name? I'd like you to take care of this worshipping place."

After she tells him her name, he scrutinizes the entrance and the hideout, claiming that they might later need to make it even bigger. He continues, looking inside and telling her that he will bring something for them next time, to make the area more comfortable. For now, he suggests they create a bit more room.

He then moves towards the outskirts of Tilled Fields and asks about other Niddog. He tells them he will come back with all the refugees he can find and that they can mingle and expand this village as well as teach the arrivals.

He then moves towards Earthome, hoping to find survivors. And if he finds any, approaches cautiously. If he meets any Niddog on the way, he will ask for directions, making sure he has it right.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ark 10.6, Tilled Fields and beyond
    "I have not yet picked a name, my appearance is not that different, so I have no obvious name, and I have done nothing impressive to earn a name yet, would you care to pick one Ades?. You want me to take care of it? Of course I will, but it will take time to make it larger, I am no expert in building or digging, I'm just a gardener."

As Ark's avatar asks the Niddog about the location of Earth-home, they generally will tell him that it is gone, destroyed by the storm. But with little bit of persistance, Ark is able to follow the few remaining markers from before the storm, and his memory of the look of Niddog lands from pantheon. What once was a great walled area filled with learning younglings, and wizened followers of the Earth-god, is now merely a collection of small hill and ditches, with a rare few younglings who still seek knowledge of the Earth, and the ageing family who first Inhabited Earth-home. They both seem friendly at first, and as Ades aproaches, they younglings gather around him, wondering what he has to say, and Mud-colored, the Female of the group calls out to Ades, "You are one of the teachers are you not? What have you heard of Mandak? The Great-Storm has filled his home with water, and the walls have collapsed. The ground here has become like water, we cannot dig in it, we cannot swim through it, it is simply a place of death now to any who try. What happened to Mandak?"

12. - Top - End - #252

Ardannis, Turn 10.1

Ardannis beams at the young female. That is wonderful - what is your name? Tell me of your dreams to wander, and the God of Travel will help you have your dreams. Do you wish to travel alone, with a few friends, with a large group? Do you wish to see hills many times taller than the tallest trees, lakes so large the other side is not visible, meadows without end, full of tall grass but no trees? Do you wish simply to find a brand new place to live, or to wander as long as you can, seeing new things? He listens with rapt attention, already thinking how best to aid her journeys.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does he hear Niddog more clearly than usual when they pray by his dedicated roadside shrines?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Tek, Turn 10.01

Tek arrives, 10 feet tall, wearing Mask of Benevolence.

Spoiler
    Show

Speaker (Primary)

Strength 1+1 = 2
    Toughness 1
    Celerity 1
    Dexterity 3+1 = 4
    Hardiness 1
    Monomorphism 1
    Regeneration 3
    Skills: Painting 3 (symbols, body paint), Paints 2, Storytelling 1

Mark of Tek - painting a simple image.

Tek seeks out Ardannis and tells him in private: “I have a story to tell Niddog. Listen to it first.

Tek then tells a tale he composed in the dim light of his Outer Plane room.

Story:
    Spoiler
    Show

“There exists a powerful evil creature. It is called Selenei. He lives far beyond the sky, locked away from this world, for he wishes only destruction upon it.

He managed to enter our world some time ago. In his evil he send the Great Storm to destroy all living beings, so he could populate the world with his creations, who would adore and love only him. We, Immortals, learned of this and went to stop him. You may remember many of us – Krixal, Forneus, Mandark, and Arsylon.

Many of us went to fight against Selenei, some remained with you, to protect you against Storm, like Ardannis. There were some that hid cowardly, yet I shall not speak of them, for their names don’t deserve to be spoken.

We fought in the Eye of The Storm, where the wind would rip the flesh off mortal and water drops turn into stone hard ice shards. Mandak shielded us from harm and Araslyon maintained our spirit, for even our hearts were turning to despair. Krixal and Forneus led the charge as only their fire was capable of penetrating the ice armor of the Beast.

I was defending our flank, from attacks of Selenei evil minions, a grotesque race he created to replace you – Niddog. I was overwhelmed, my power drained and wings broken, but as I fell from the sky I saw my comrades strike a decisive blow against the Enemy.

I awakened broken and weakened, as you see me now, only a fraction of my former power remains. But I saw the blue sky and knew that we won. The victory costed lifes of all of my comrades in that battle, yet I still hope that maybe some of them survived. Time will show. Now I came here to tell you their story, so their sacrifice will be remembered, by those, they loved the most.”

Tek tells Ardannis: “This story will raise Niddog’s spirits and could be used as inspiration for them to work hard at restoring the lost knowledge of Immortals. And we get to be heroes. You can help me spreading it, or just avoid contradicting it. You can come up with some excuse, why you never mentoned it before.

Tek travels between the Niddog tribes. He asks them if they remember Immortals that visited them long time ago. He then tells Niddog the same story he told Ardannis. He then asks Niddog to tell him everything they remember of Immortals and attempts to restore/invigorate their old teachings.

If Tek learns about Ark, helping Niddog, he will add him to the story as another Immortal, who stayed to protect Niddog from the Grand Storm.

He then makes a sufficient amount of paint from the ingredients found in nature. Tek seeks out a suitable place – central to the major Niddog population, where there is a suitable surface, protected against rains and wind. He uses Mark of Tek, 3 times if needed, and then works himself to paint a large Mural of the all Immortals, who are remembered by Niddog, where they proudly stand against Grand Storm and a malevolent being in the center of it. He will then invite Niddog to see it, as a place, where Immortals can be remembered and honored.
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2008-06-22 at 02:19 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ardannis 10.1
    The young female smiles "Many call me No-Trails, because I like to travel off of the roads that other's have made. I don't mind making trails for others, I just prefer to not use them afterwards." After listening to all the options of where she could travel, No-Trails seems almost awestruck "Yes! Yes, I want to see all of those. Is it even possible? I'm sure I could find other's to travel with me, especially if I had Your blessing."

Spoiler
    Show
    You can't hear them more clearly per se, but their thoughts are generally more organized and coherent. Those who do not yet worship you still can not be heard by you though, so their prayers are not heard at all.

Tek 10.01
    The younglings listen intently to Tek. At first the elders seem mostly indifferent about Tek and his story, but as they hear mention of the old gods, they start to listen a little more intently. By the time that Tek's story is done, all the edlers of the area are gathered around, and many ask him to tell the story again, so that they can remember it all correctly. It is obvious to Tek that the elders had merely felt betrayed by their former god's and the idea of them dying is somehow more acceptable to the Niddog, allowing them to trust the Immortals once more. Tek finds himself welcome anywhere he travels in the land, in some places his story seems to travel even faster than he does, but the Niddog there listen to it none-the-less. As he travels he finds that he included most of the Known god's in his story. There are rumors of an Ice-creature that lives in the distant waters, and there is Sedha the healer, and of course, Ark, who helped also during the storm, but the rest of the known immortals were mentioned in Tek's story. Some of the teachings of the old god's may be forgotten by most, but those who are still devout followers of the old god's still remember, and with a bit of trying, it shouldn't be too hard to re-collect the information.

There are few areas in Niddog land that have a well protected area, however when Tek claims that he is looking for one, some of the Niddog tell him that they will make one. They quickly put together a small structure that would protect Tek's mural, and they promise that they will improve upon it, to create better protection from the weather.
    Last edited by Rogue_Dragon; 2008-06-22 at 11:45 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255

Ark 10.6, The Niddog, Tilled Fields

"I will then give you a name. You will be Alias. And you will be caretaker of this place of faith. As for making it larger, I have an idea that might help you. Regardless, you have plenty of time, Alias, you need not worry. Don't dismiss your talents either, you are feeding your people, you and all the gardeners are very important. I would like you to teach the young if you are able, because they will also need you. Pray to me here when the crops need doing and I will come. Also don't hesitate calling for me whenever a problem arises."

Ark 10.6, The Niddog, Earthome
    "You are one of the teachers are you not? What have you heard of Mandak? The Great-Storm has filled his home with water, and the walls have collapsed. The ground here has become like water, we cannot dig in it, we cannot swim through it, it is simply a place of death now to any who try. What happened to Mandak?"
    As he speaks to the Niddog, Ark asks them to lead him to where the Earth became just water and death.

"I am a teacher. I teach Birth of things both moving and still." And with these words, he looks towards a tree that the Niddog particularly appreciate for its fruits, stretching his arms out towards it and closing his eyes.

"Pollen."

With these words, the tree will start to give fruits, and as they mature, they become easily picked off and some even fall off on their own. As he gives the food to the Earthome family, he nods slowly as he continues to answer her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pollen, Lesser (One level 1 Miracle used)

"I do not know. Mandak has been missing for a while. I cannot feel his presence either. It might be that he is fighting far away. He might return. But if only water and death awaits you here, and Mandak isn't here to help, then I suggest you should move on. Perhaps wait for him. I have a place for you to stay, at Tilled Fields, where I have sheltered and protected the Niddog under me. It is quite big, but they lack your knowledge of Earthen walls, which would be useful to them.

Also, they know how to farm, as I have taught it to them. You won't need to move or forage for food no longer. Why not come? If there is nothing here, then I offer you the hospitality of Tilled Fields. You need not live among them, but close to them and learn farming of them. In exchange you can teach them of Earth."

He then looks at the swamp-like place that was once Earthhome.

"I am moving around to other places that have been left prey to the Storm. Do you know of any other places? We will move around these other places, and any that would come of those different groups can. We will all go back to Tilled Fields and create a group of Niddog you will never have seen in a lifetime, with masteries far beyond anything that was known. A fusion of your minds."

If any comes with him, they will move towards the next place Ark planned to go to: The home of the burning one. ((If you think this should move us to 10.7, we can))

16. - Top - End - #256

Ardannis, 10.1

Ardannis is truly excited to find another being who shares his wanderlust. It is indeed possible. Do you not fear greater danger from beasts, traveling off the beaten path like that? Do you know how to avoid them when you're on a plain of tall grass, with no tree in sight to climb? Would you be able to find food in the mountains-- the hills taller than tallest trees, where the plants may be different and strange to you? Though Ardannis peppers her with questions, he is asking good-naturedly, and clearly trying to encourage her passion by telling her what it entails, rather than discourage it by bringing up problems. Meanwhile, he reviews mentallys what he has seen of the world at large surrounding the Niddog. It would be a long journey to see so many things, No-trails. Have you spoken with the Trailblazers, whose long journey brought them to visit the Karksh, a completely different race of beings, and have they told you of that journey's length? This one would be more than twice as long. You would certainly want companions, to be safer.

I ask you again, though - why do you wish to travel? To find a new home, to find out things no Niddog knows, or simply to see new and exciting things?

Spoiler
    Show
    P.S. Now that the Trailblazers are back, are the other Niddog even interested in hearing of their journey? Are they excited to tell of it? Given the size of that news, it's been surprisingly quiet on that front...

Also, how do the Niddog deal with predators these days? They haven't seemed to have trouble with them for a while - do they still work by avoidance, or are they better at driving them off, as well?
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-06-23 at 07:30 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ark 10.6
    Tilled Fields
    "Thank you Ades, I will do my best to care for these fields. I am not sure that all of the Niddog will listen to me, but your blessing will surely help. I will stay here, work in the fields, and teach any who come by the beauty of growing. If I need you I will call, but first I will try to solve it on my own, you have already given so much."

Earthome
    The family of Earthome is greatly apreciative of the food that magically prepares itself and falls from a tree, as this area seems to have been hit particularly hard by the storm, and food is still somewhat scarce. When Ark speaks of Tilled fields, it seems that the Niddog here understand exactly his goals rather rapidly "You built a place for Niddog to be safe. Mandak had built that for us here. During his last visit he had started to teach of us this farming, but our fields were lost entirely in the storm. I do not know when Mandak will return, but without his help there is no way to carry on his teachings here, we will come with you, and help protect the others, as Mandak would have wished."
    The Earthome family followed Ark's avatar, and helps him to find the home of the Burnt-One. When Ark arrives he finds that the family here is unusually small, only 5 living in huts that are crude even by Niddog standards. Though there is still a large ring of stones with a fire blazing in it, but no younglings are gathered around it to learn of it's uses. A male aproaches Ark and calls out "Welcome, do you come to learn the ways of Krixal? Or do you merely pass by like so many others?"

Ardannis 10.1
    "I often take others with me, there is always safety in numbers. Few creatures would still hunt a group of us, most merely avoid us now, as we avoid them." After that she seems to think for a second "If the grass is tall, can you not hide in it? And in tall hills there are still small creatures yes? There is always food somewhere, if you look hard enough for it. Of course I spoke to the trailblazers, they have traveled much of this land spreading the tale of the Karksh, but few care to listen to them in the wake of the storm. Many, especially elders, seem to care less about distant lands and strange creatures since so many homes were lost in the storm." Her voice saddens somewhat as she speaks of the storms damage, and she pauses for a moment. But as she continues her tone takes on a more contemplative tone "I want to see new things, and to learn new things, but I am sure that others would seek a new home. This forest has always been home, but it starts to fill with bad memories after the storm, and many places have been homes for longer than any can remember. There is nothing new here, just the old ways."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for not mentioning it more, the Trail-blazers have spread the word quite a bit, but as no-trails mentioned, they returned literally on the verge of the storm, so much of what they said had somewhat diminished importance compared matters of survival. In terms of Predators, the Niddog are by far not the top of the food chain, but most predators recognize them as a creature that is not prey. They travel in groups, and when they find a predator, they merely back away as a pack, and if the predator charges them, they all try to fight it at once, surrounding it if possible.

18. - Top - End - #258

Ark 10.6, Home of the Burning One

"Welcome, do you come to learn the ways of Krixal? Or do you merely pass by like so many others?"
    "Perhaps I will, in time. My name is Ark and I am one of the teachers. I have power over Fertility of both moving and things that are still. I have power over offspring of all kinds and can strengthen and speed along the process. I am traveling around the land to help those that suffered from the storm and were given no aid. This group was taught by Mandak. They come from Earthome."

He gestures towards the Niddog following him and then explains.

"There is nothing left in their home but watery death. It has flooded their homes and many were lost in the storm. I suggested they followed me to Tilled Fields and accepted."

Smiling and sitting down, Ark continues.

"Tilled Fields is a village I have helped develop. They are keen farmers and growers, and they know how to now make food without having to forage. They also build walls, but I am sure that the Niddog from Earthome will be able to teach them more, and learn of farming. Similarly, if you would follow me, I can lead to this safe haven, and you can live there under my protection, researching fire and inventing new uses for it. It will become a hive of Niddog of all kinds, and you will grow stronger and ever more capable of fighting off predators and survive storms. Or other races, like perhaps a warrior race."

He pauses. Looking to the Niddog in front of him, he gestures towards the fire, his head nodding in approval.

"I know not where Krixal is or what he is doing, much like Mandak, but he would be content in knowing that the ones that learned from him so intensely are being taken care of and are using his knowledge to the benefit of the Niddog."

And regardless of their answer, Ark will more generally speak to the younglings and cast one last miracle of Pollen on a edible fruit tree, letting them eat their share before moving on to another abandoned settlement (if any), preparing to finally bring back all the Niddog in 10.7

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ark 10.6
    The Male who aproached you seems to ponder your offer for a moment, looking over the emptied grounds around him, where once there had been many coming to learn, but now there are very few indeed. "Others will be there, teaching, and brininging those who will learn? We will come, there is no point in staying here, where none come to learn."

Ark has now collected almost all of the renowned Niddog, into a single place, which is rapidly becoming the first and biggest village the Niddog have ever had. Ark still does not have Msic-bringer, who has not been seen in awhile, nor does he have the followers of the Smoke-Beast Forneus, who abandoned their home, and eachother during the great storm, and have not been seen since either. Such a collection of knowledge will surely attract many younglings, and once it is shown that so many can live together amongst the farms.

20. - Top - End - #260

Ark, 10.6-10.8, Tilled Fields

And finally, Ark came back to Tilled Fields. He asks the Niddog to stay back and wait for him. He then fetches Alias and the Niddog of Tilled Fields, asking them to greet their brethren and welcome them, for they had gone a long way, and in exchange for their skills in fire and earth, they would learn to farm, to provide for everyone's needs in the area.

As he brings the two groups together, he knows this is going to be a delicate matter, so he suggests the following.

"It is perhaps difficult for all of you to be living together straight away, but eventually you will find all of the Niddog have things to teach."

He pauses, contemplating the thought of them all living together.

"There is a lack of space however, so we will have to build new walls. We can break down the entire outer circle to make it three times as wide for all of you. With that, you can have three separate inner walls as well, although I recommend linking them together. Maybe by tunneling."

He clears his throat loudly, looking around.

"But nothing will get done just by us talking about it, let's have a group of Niddog building the new bigger wall first, I will bring the earth."

And helping them tirelessly, Ark will then help them to make the main buildings before going to the fields and teaching all of them that would see it, how to use the earth to forage for themselves, showing mushrooms, pumpkin-like plants, actual fruit trees of which both root and fruit are edible.
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-06-24 at 08:56 AM.
    A Revenant

21. - Top - End - #261

Ardannis, 10.1 (wrap-up)

With such wisdom, you are ready for a journey of any length, Ardannis says proudly. And perhaps when you return, you will have found on your travels a new home that the Niddog can leave their bad memories behind and move to. Though, also likely with such a long journey is that many of the elders will have died by the time you return. If you wish to see as many different things as you can, this is your route. He traces a crude map for her, explaining it until she understands and has it memorized. If you go south for five tendays, you will reach the source of a great river. Follow this river to the great water, called the sea, then following the coast, which is the edge of the sea, go directly west into the setting sun, and you will return home. I imagine that the Trailblazers from before may wish to accompany you. You should also take one Niddog with a gift in storytelling, to bring back tales of what you have seen.

If you wish, you may begin as soon as any companions who wish to go are ready. I cannot travel the whole way with you, but I will go and make you a gift, to help frighten away beasts if you need it. I will bring it to you on your travels as soon as I am able.

For the remainder of his visit with the Niddog, Ardannis helps with any remaining cleanup/restoration efforts that need doing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Path is south to s17 and the source of the river, follow river to the coast in o13, go directly west back to Niddog in o17. If they want to get started shortly after our discussion (say in 10.2 or so), that would be great. :D
    I calculate the trip probably will take about 2 turns, based on their earlier one.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

End of Turn 10/ Beginning of turn 11
    The recovery from the great storm is almost complete now. Things are different, but they are also better. The great greener of Tilled fields is now growing much wider than it had once been, spreading to an area large enough to feed 3 families and traveling younglings, instead of just one. As Ark suggested, they all live within their own seperate homes, connected, and surrounded by the fields, but not living as a single family. Alias is now a name of renowned amongst the Niddog, with as much fame as the Burnt-One, or the Music-Bringer ever had. She is known as the chosen of Ark, and while she is kind, those of Tilled-Fields will listen to her about almost anything, especially regarding the upkeep of the fields.
    Also, the second great expedition is starting. This time, not to see a distant species, but to merely see the many kinds of land that the world has to offer. To go further than any other had gone before. A group of 20 leaves the Niddog lands (around 10.3 when preperations are completely done.) and heads straight south, walking slowly across the great open planes. In parts it seemed like nothing could live in these enormous areas, barren compared to the forests that they were used to. However, open plains do have their own kinds of life, and after a time in the plains, the Niddog even grow to like the differences. As the turn comes to a close, the Niddog find themselves staring up, as the mountains rise in the distance, how anyone could climb such great outshoots of land, none know, but they will soon find out. For somewhere amongst these tall lands is the source of the Great-River, that will guide them on the rest of their journey.
    Furthermore, and perhaps most surprisingly, the anger at the old god's seems to be dying down. The story told by Tek seems to be gaining quite a bit of acceptance, and tells that Niddog that they were not abandoned, their protectors gave their lives to save the Niddog from the Great-Storm that ravaged the land. The Mural painted by Tek is kept in a relatively impressive structure created just for it, protected from the weather and animals. Niddog from far and wide come to view it, surprisingly even the elders will leave their homes, and travel to see the proof that their god's died to protect them.

23. - Top - End - #263

Ardannis, Turn 11.6

((Umm, I'm gonna work in an earlier visit to the Travelers, but I'll write it tomorrow morning))

When Ardannis arrives and sees that life is stabilizing somewhat, he shifts focus as to what the Niddog may need. Hearing of Tek's great mural, he speaks to the Niddog of the usefulness of more stabilized travel. Sketching out basic maps in the dirt, he shows them how valuable it can be to know where each trail leads, even if they've never been on it before. Whether or not they appear receptive to the idea, he tries to travel their lands, mapping out the largest and longest trails and most successful villages, planning a large map in the same location as Tek's mural.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Tek, Turn 10.6

Tek arrives, Primary Avatar, 10 feet tall, wearing Mask of Benevolence.

He seeks out Ardannis and helps him with explaining the concept of painting. He shows Niddog what substances can used to paint and demonstrates most basic techniques of painting (Painting - 3, Natural Paints - 2).

He cooperates with Ardannis in creation of a large map of Niddog lands, using his miracle Mark of Tek 3 times and his painting skill.

He also speaks to Niddog “If some of you feel that your lands are becoming too small for you or you wish to live and travel by a great surface of water, you can travel the same way as Trail-Blazers did. Do you remember their tales of Great Ocean and met another race of creatures. Ardannis will tell you more and we both will help those who wish to settle a new colony.

25. - Top - End - #265

11.5 Ark, Tilled Fields

When Ark returns to the Niddog, it is with Ades, and he carries the Orb of Seeing. Or so he thinks. He goes down to the Niddog of Tilled Fields in a shaft of light. When arriving, he steps out of a cocoon of light in a 10 feet high form, and everything else around him slowly fades back towards the sky. Ades wears the cloth of Morphing and has concealed the orb against him, he is wearing a toga of some kind.

"Greetings to you, Niddog! I have returned, and I have yet many more things to help you with."

As Ades goes into each of the respective families, they can name one particular heir they'd like to grow faster, and examining the eggs, he will also be able to counsel them on which ones seem to be the toughest or more resilient.

Once all three eggs are chosen, he closes his eyes and casts in rapid succession three miracles, the eggs glowing warmly for a while. When it is done, he smiles to the Niddog and turns to the fields, casting once more miracles of Pollen on fruit trees.

Spoiler
    Show
    Miracle level 1 (2 used): Pollen, lesser.
    Miracle level 2 (3 used out of 4): Conceive, Lesser (sentient)

He then moves around the encampment, telling Alias that they should accept any of the Niddog that are still homeless or accepting any of them that would join Tilled Fields in this great concentration of knowledge. He also counsels the Niddog to finally reveal to all of the others the location of the temple, for he thought it no longer needed any hiding. He then asks Alias to join him in the outskirts, and when alone, he reveals to her the orb.

"This, I called it the Orb of Seeing. I found it. It is powerful. Too powerful perhaps, and yet, it isn't the only item of this sort that has appeared in your world. It seems it shows you what it is you want to see, and it shows you anything. It seems to work for me, but I need to know whether it would work for a mortal. Now, take the orb in your hands."

He then gently lays the orb in the hands of Alias and asks her to look into it, if it asks what she wants to see, Ark will tell her this:

"Tell it you want to see where I reside in the realm of the Gods. And then describe if you see anything."

[...rp to follow...]

He then turns to the Niddog, and using his skill as a storyteller and all around orator, he tells them of a story:

"Akam wouldn't like me telling this story, but I think it is necessary. A few days ago, a great being came in this forest to feast on the blood of creatures. It looked nothing like the Niddog had ever seen, and its hands had great black claws. It was a creature of the god world, and it fed on the races."

He pauses, looking to the Niddog.

"Fortunately, Akam saw the creature before it reached the forest. I tried to warn him, but he wouldn't listen. He appeared before it and wrestled the thing down with sheer strength. Wrestling, biting, Akam eventually finally won the upperhand and the creature seemed to have lost the fight."

He looks to the Niddog listening and sighs.

"Unfortunately, part of that being attached itself to Akam in the process, and it talks to Akam. It taunts him, it shouts at him, it shouts not only in his mind, but it can also talk to you as a race. It is an evil item, but it has no other power than to speak, although it harasses Akam to feed him blood nigh constantly."

Waving his hand towards the sky, his face is full of sadness.

"Akam refuses to come down again to teach because he is scared that you might take flight at first sight of the thing. He was trying to protect you, and was sorely punished, finding himself unable to do what he loved: teaching you. I would like to have your word that you would not be scared if he did come to you to teach you. He had lots to teach about wood and some more farming, and you would greatly benefit from it."

In general, Ades will also walk around the homes and counsel the Niddog that have fire to use it to use it to light the outside of wall up so stray Niddog could easily see it from afar and walk towards it. After the story of that monster-like creature, he also suggests that the Niddog keep watch at night, and Alias should have an assistant to help her at night as well, in case their need for Ark is dire.
    A Revenant

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 12.6
    Kelkik walks amongst the Niddog lands for the first time, but aware somewhat of their kind. Curious, he begins to wander.

Up till turn 12.8(Or, rather, the point he would have to leave to get back to the inner plane at 12.8), Kelkik moves around the settlements of the Niddog, just... spending time with them. He does some light teaching, more name-dropping than otherwise, and teaching the occasional curious group about how to knock away an assailant's blows, but really he's here to learn about how they're all getting along, what with the gods and all. He never stays more than two days in one place, more eager to keep moving than otherwise.

However, as it hikes, it keeps itself engaged by making... symbols. Using rocks and its claws, it carves It's snowflake symbol, either on the item, or by carving it into a snowflake. It gives these items to any Niddog who will shelter him for a night, a reminder to them, and him, that there's a god who owes them a favor...
    Last edited by Altairius; 2008-06-29 at 09:39 PM.
    Thanks to El_Frenchie for the nifty sig!

27. - Top - End - #267

Ark 12.5-12.6, Tilled Fields

Akam returns to Tilled Fields with two artifacts: Sucker and Cloth of Morphing.
    He uses the cloth of Morphing to create a very long sleeve in order to hide the claw he possesses, His right arm is bare and the rest of the cloth looks like a mage's robe of sorts. It is midday.

He will greet the Niddog from a distance and approach slowly, then will sit down on the ground outside. He uses his power from outside to make the fields grow. Light bursts forth and the plants suddenly grow.

Spoiler
    Show
    + Clorophyl:

This leads a targetted area of 7 meters to be submitted to a minor growth spurt. Light acts as the energy source for this miracle, the more the better. (2 Miracles used)

He will teach all of them about irrigation, and will also teach them of woodworking. To that effect, he tells them to stay where they are, goes into the forest and cuts down a fair-sized tree. He will cut it up with the claw and bring back the pieces for the Niddog to see.

"I cut them up using a sharp object, like a claw. Then I can use them to create flat surfaces to rest things on, pillars to support your roofs, doors to close your nests and provide isolation. You can use wood to create symbols for the temple, you can use it to fuel your fires and create defenses by cutting the tip to make a spike."

He continues.

"It is also less easily penetrated by water than earth walls, so you can use them on top of your earth roof so that you need not repair them constantly after a rain."

Akam will naturally stay with the Niddog and teach them of farming, of course, as well as woodworking, insisting slightly more on the latter.
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-06-29 at 10:58 PM.
    A Revenant

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 11, The Turn that never was.
    Time seems to pass the Niddog by. They farm, they build on their walls, they expand their homesteads, they farm. The younglings still travel the primitive roads, gaining and spreading the knowledge of the Niddog. Though now one place in particular is the goal of many Journeys. Tilled fields holds much of the amassed knowledge of the Niddog. From fire, and cooking, to wall building, and farming, especially farming. Though a new group of Trail-Blazers has set off on a journey across the great planes, few have heard any word of them, though the absence of Ardannis is largely attributed to him being with the Trail-blazers, leading them on their great journey.

Turn 12
    Ikeklos
    Once the Niddog recognize Kelkik as one of the Immortals, and remember the stories of the first Trail-Blazers, they all seem willing to welcome him into their homes. As he watches them, he would easily recognize that they already follow some of his truths, though they do not know it, while they completely ignore some of his other truths. They waist very little, eating, planting, or storing anything that could be of possible use to them. However they are extremely emotional when dealing with eachother. When talking to him, they seem to be filled with curiosity, wanting to have more skills so that their family will prosper more. But when dealing with eachother, they often seem filled with emotion, their feelings easily being heard in their voices.

Ark
    Spoiler
    Show
    I‘m throwing some of turn 11s interaction in here, but we can say it happened whenever, just before the rest of your interaction.

Ades: Alias gladly tests the Orb for Ades, looking deeply into it concentrating her mind on what Ades had asked of her. After a moment she responds, “I see green as far as the eye can see, fields upon fields of green filled with all sorts of plants and animals. I have never seen the animals before, great beasts with enormous horns spread out above their heads, and strange furred creatures living like in stone homes.”

Each family gladly allows Ark to bless an egg, and while they don’t seem to care in particular which egg he chooses, allowing him to view any and all of them, Ades finds that the eggs carried directly by the females seem to be larger and have harder shells than the ones carried by the males. He would also notice that they are somewhat warmer to the touch.

Akam: The Niddog listen intently to Akam’s teachings seeming to take well to the idea of using larger carved pieces of wood rather than branches for their walls and roofs. Most seem to ignore the shawl covering his claw, but it seems that some at least notice him not using it much, and all remember the story told to them by Ades. In between lessons a youngling, from the family that once served Mandak, walks up to him and reluctantly asks “Tek told us that the gods fought against Selenei, the beast that made the storm. That’s where the other Gods went, they were killed while fighting the storm beast. Tek told us that Selenei had others that followed it. Was the beast that attacked you a creature of Selenei? Is the storm beast trying to come back?”

29. - Top - End - #269

“I see green as far as the eye can see, fields upon fields of green filled with all sorts of plants and animals. I have never seen the animals before, great beasts with enormous horns spread out above their heads, and strange furred creatures living like in stone homes.”
    With that, Ades seems surprised. What in the world was she seeing? Obviously the orb showed her -something-, but rather than showing it her request, it showed something else. He ponders for a while, then gazing on Alias again, he smiles broadly.

"Thank you Alias, I think you helped me a great deal. It seems you were able to see something, though it doesn't sound like the place I reside in, did you ask the question clearly? What did you think you were going to see? Did you doubt it would work? What was your reaction? What you tell me will influence this orb's destiny, for I might forbid anyone to touch it other than the few that know of its power, and for now, its power doesn't seem to work well, or at least it seems doubtful that it worked right then."

Akam 12.5-12.6, Tilled Fields

“Tek told us that the gods fought against Selenei, the beast that made the storm. That’s where the other Gods went, they were killed while fighting the storm beast. Tek told us that Selenei had others that followed it. Was the beast that attacked you a creature of Selenei? Is the storm beast trying to come back?”
    Deciding it would be best to go with the flow of the story, Akam expands on it himself.

"Tek? I see the stories have spread somewhat, and not surprisingly, ended up here in Tilled Fields. It is true that the gods went away to fight Selenei. Most of them perished, and yet I believe Selenei is alive, for the creature I fended off was hers without doubt, she is weaker though, which is good news.

For good or ill, the old gods have gone and perished for the sake of the species. While some of us stayed because we were better at caring and protecting than destroying, all of the gods that had power to slay are gone. Those gods that have power to slay and are still alive are... cowardly. Remember that gods that know no self-sacrifice are terrible omen, for if they don't respect their own sacrifices, they can't possibly respect yours."

He then moves towards the temple and asks the Niddog to reveal the entrance and to keep fires alight at the entrance even during the night, so it shone bright and flared up for Niddog to see it. He also then works on wood that he collects around the area and starts using his woodworking skill to create horizontal "Comic strips", using images (Hieroglyphs style?) to represent the departure of the gods and their fight against a monstrous, tentacle-like Selenei that bursts forth with lightning and mist.

"This is a tribute to the old gods, keep it in the temple as a memory. Now, all that matters is going forward and progressing so you are ready if Selenei comes. Do not forget the valued teachings, but now is the time to grow numerous and strong, start with your children and food. When that is secure, focus your mind. You have started with earth, then comes wood."

With that Akam also shows that the temple should be made bigger as the different families of the Niddog living here have grown prosperous and need the space. Directing the efforts and decorating the temple with woodcrafts of different kinds, Akam also shows how to create an altar, mentioning that altars are generally used for sacrifices of many kinds. Gifts and presents to a god. He says he would greatly appreciate seeing small woodcrafts from the Niddog and would use them as a reference to see their increase in skill over time, as well as bless the crafter of the best woodwork with quicker offspring.
    A Revenant