New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remnants IC

1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Remnants IC

Spoiler
    Show

Damn your apologies, people! Stick to your spoilers!
    Seriously, Paper Bard, if you could edit those posts to contain the information in spoilers I'd appreciate it. It's a pet peeve of mine.

You can sense that a powerful magic surge has taken place at the mill tower.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd love to... but often the internet gets really slow when I post.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya

I-it's.... there.... Illiiya will say ominously, pointing a delicate finger at the tower. Or... it was... I can see... the winds... steam from the blood... screams from t-the.... the dying. Something happened there.

Illiiya will look towards the tower in a mixture of fear and aprehension. Taking a single step towards it.

There was sorcery there... Very recently. W-what... should we do?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sir Quentin Moreau

Illiiya's obvious panic troubles the Bretonnian knight. He'd had very little dealing with magic, apart from once seeing a Damsel of the Lady - from a distance. When the elf began to murmur of sorcery, Quentin turned his steed to face the others. "Don't trouble yourself, Lady. We can do nothing for the dead that lie in the mill, regardless. We can, however, continue to serve the people of Schuttgard by warning them of the marauding Beastman and of this slaughter. Let us leave this place behind us for now, and go forth to save those we can."
    "This man wishes to be accorded the same privilege as a sponge!" - Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Felix

Hell no! We're not going in there. Not now.

Felix reaches for Illyiia's arm. How about we leave it at that for now and we come back later? During daytime... We'll then bury the dead, and you can investigate the tower then. I agree with Quentin, we must warn Schuttgard immediately.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya

A-alright... Illiiya spoke softly. She could see something in Felix's normally calm voice.

She wondered for a moment, if he had seen things, like her. If her dreams were escaping her an finding others. She did not think on it long, however... as she was eager to get away from the tower, and the malice she could feel inside it.

Illiiya kept pace with the rest of the group, as they headed for Schuttgard, clearly nervous, but unwilling to glace back. She never glanced back.

7. - Top - End - #67

Sir Quentin Moreau

"Very well, then." Quentin awkwardly reaches down into one of his saddlebags with his shield-hand, the extra weight obviously making it difficult. After a few moments, he manages to grab a torch from the bag. Lacking a free hand to light it with, he holds the torch down to the others so that one of them can fire him up. Once his torch is lit, Quentin begins to lead the procession back down the wooded path to Schuttgard.
    "This man wishes to be accorded the same privilege as a sponge!" - Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Felix

Felix walked up and assisted the knight with lighting the torch. There you go. He then waited to see if everyone was coming and closed the walking line, disliking to have people behind his back.

9. - Top - End - #69

It doesn't take long to get within sight of Schuttburg. You walk along the larger road for perhaps one more hour, with the trees thinning out and the chatter of birds growing louder as you approach. A wooden-walled town looms ahead, in a flat, bare valley surrounded by forestry in front and mountains behind. There are three roads - the one you have just arrived by, one approaching in from the right (presumably linking to the smaller road you saw earlier) and one stretching off to the left.

Braziers have been fitted into the ground around the walls, at intervals of twenty yards or so. They provide an irregular, flickering light to see by. A line of palisades has been hammered into the earth in front of these torches. The main gate has been bolted with an enormous metal plate. There are four figures at watch on top of this gate, and one of them gives an indistinguishable cry at your approach. A few seconds later, three horsemen ride out from the side gate on the left hand road, galloping towards you.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can you tell us more about the guards and the horsemen? What do they look like? What weapons and armor do they have? Are they wearing the colors of the city (or whatever uniform is appropriate)?

More importantly: are they human? :P

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Andric sighed darmatically. "And here comes the welcome wagon..."

12. - Top - End - #72

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Everyone is human. You cannot see the guards well enough to distinguish detail. but you can see they have bows. The horsemen are not in uniform, but are wearing a mix of chainmail, leather and plate armour. One carries a long, slim hammer, one an axe and the other a spear.

13. - Top - End - #73

Sir Quentin Moreau

Quentin is relieved to make it out of the heavy woods and into sight of the town. The presence of pallisades and the dim lighting surrounding the approaches to the town tell the tale of anticipated violence, however, but they are still a far more-welcome sight than a pillar of smoke and frightened screams rising from the middle of the settlement. We may have yet made it in time to be of some use...

When the riders are dispatched in the direction of Quentin and his troupe, he slows Claude's shuffle to a halt and raises his lance to point up at the sky. Hearing Andric's sarcasm, Quentin gives a slight scoff. "Peh. I'd much rather be greeted by armed men than by an unsociable volley of arrows. Considering the circumstances, I certainly cannot complain."

When the riders draw closer, Quentin lifts his lance in salute and, in his usual fashion, doesn't wait to be addressed before he begins boldly announcing his arrival to the world. It's one of his remarkably few traits he still possesses from his 'noble' upbringing. "Ho there! I am Sir Quentin Moreau of Bordeleaux, Knight-Errant of in the service of King Louen Leoncoeur and the realm of Bretonnia! My fellow travelers and I were bound for your town when we encountered an Imperial soldier bearing tales of a host of Beastman in this area. We sought to report this to your Road Wardens in the forest, but I am loathe to report that we arrived only to find the men stationed there slain. What is your situation here?"
    Last edited by TheGreatJabu; 2008-06-11 at 09:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

The men pull up hard on their reins and come to a juddering halt in front of you. On closer inspection, the hotpotch armour these men are wearing is dirty and scabbed, or in poor condition. The horses look fine enough, but their riders look distinctly worse for wear, each having a look of exhaustion and their own complement of cuts and bruises.

The lead horseman slings his long hammer so the weight is just a few inches from the ground and moves his horse in a slow step towards Quentin. His accent is thick and local, and he draws out the soft vowels like treacle. "Hail, Sir Moreau! Our situation is... not good. We had hopes for reinforcement..." Here he stares at the bloodied Magnus standing before him, "but it looks as though they were unfounded. I am Road-Sergeant Gerhardt, and though I am sorry to hear of the deaths of my men, I would rather not hear of it. Doubtless my own imagination falls far short of the truth." He pauses for a second, closing his eyes and stroking a hand through the mane of his horse. "There are more important matters now at hand, anyway. You say you came through the forest?"
    Last edited by Myshlaevsky; 2008-06-13 at 08:57 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Felix

Yes we did, Sergeant. This is how we found out about the tragic fate of your roadwardens. We've been traveling for a long time to reach Schuttburg, not knowing about the situation. But for now, would you mind if we continue our discussion inside the walls?

Felix was worried for his own safety, but to his own surprise, he was also starting to feel responsible for the safety of the rest of the group as well.

16. - Top - End - #76

The horseman fixes you with a hard, lingering stare, then brings his horse round and replies in a low tone, "I would mind, because as soon as I take you inside those walls Captain Pieter will drag you off and it'll not be my place to decide whether or not you see the light of day again. You have to understand - no-one comes through the forest. No-one. For the last week and a half that forest," He throws one mailed gauntlet in the direction of the woods, pointing towards them, "Has meant death. I came to Schuttburg when my men started to track the Beastmen patrols. The day I arrived they found the loggers pinned to those very trees, and I knew my men were going to die. We sent for help so many times, but how could we know if it got through? Obviously it did, once," He glances at Magnus one more time, "And look what happened there."

The roadwarden sits up in the saddle and surveys the darkened trees spread out behind you. "You're worried they're going to attack, are you? Don't be. They never attack. They just wait and wait and wait and then take you, when you risk it. So you can talk to me for five minutes out here, before you explain how you made it through those bastard woods to Watch Captain Pieter." He takes another long, hard look at you. "You... you're Felix Eber, aren't you? The bounty hunter?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Felix

Felix stares right back at the horseman in front of him, not being intimidated. He also tried to remember if he had dealt with this man in the past or not, and also tried to remember what he knew about the watch captain.

Yep, that's me, Felix answered irreverently. Thought I'd maybe find some work around here once again, but I never expected to find the city pinned down by beastmen. We could probably assist you though... if the price is right.

Felix has never been ashamed of his greed. He was a bounty hunter after all. And perhaps he was about to become a mercenary.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    What does Felix know about any of those people, if anything? Roll dice for me if you think dice should be rolled for that, and let me know.
    Last edited by gobogen; 2008-06-13 at 10:37 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

The roadwarden snorts and breaks out in a low chuckle at your words. He looks over the group as a whole and replies, "The sell-sword and the knight, yes? The elf, the soldier and the mad dwarf? What about you, man?" He glances at Andric, staring him down. "You don't look like a fighter. A thief, maybe? Come to steal the gold out our pockets if the fight proves too hard? The lot of you!" Gerhardt whirls his horse around and hefts his hammer back up onto his shoulder. "Like you've come marching in straight from the presses of Penny Lane. Adventurers looking for fame and fortune. Pfft" The man spits on the ground beneath him and his voice becomes hard as he says, "The Beastmen will eat your steaming guts, you fools. You're after coin? You'd make more money selling the food you've brought. There are already mercenaries in Schuttburg, and they look a damn sight more capable than you. Come on, then." The sergeant paces his horse forward and waves you on behind him. The two other horseman drop back to take up position on the side of you, muttering blackly. Gerhardt turns back to glance over you all once again. "Pieter'll probably take you into custody once you're inside. I doubt he'll let you keep those brave swords you're selling, either."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Felix

After being reminded that they were going to be brought in and questioned, Felix still figured that they didn't have a better alternative at this point. They had traveled for a long time and now many of them were obviously tired. It's not like they could take the chance to sleep out in the wild with Beastmen possibly jumping up on them at any moment. Reluctantly and after some hesitation, Felix accepted to advance with the horsemen towards the city.

I guess we don't have a choice at this point.

Turning to his fellow travelers, while still heard from the roadwarden, I know Pieter. He's a good man. He wouldn't make us sleep behind bars unless we actually commited a crime. It'll be all right.
    Last edited by gobogen; 2008-06-16 at 09:22 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

"Hold on a second there, boy!" Urgim yells, as he steps out in front of the group.
    "Now, I kno' we aint be lookin' like much, and I kno' ye be a great, strong manling, bu' hav' ya ever consider'd tha' ma'be, jus' ma'be, our kind o' group is jus' what ye need ta go aginst tha beastmen?

Standing in front of the group, he plants the haft of his axe in the ground, and holds it near the head.

"Ye've tried ta send wave af'er wave o' men at these things, and ye fail'd! Ye tried usin' common sells'ords, an' fail'd! We manag'd ta make it here ourselves, an' I guarantee ya we can make it back! No', iff'n ye're no' wantin' someun ta clear ou' yer little problem, be my guest. But iff'n ya are thinkin' ya could use some help, tell us no', cause ain't no-one be takin' my axe, an' death whil swiftly come ta all tha' try!

With that, he hefts his axe, and holds it out in front of him. Maniacal gleam in his eyes, he laughs. "Which'un ya be thinkin' wiser, manling?"
    Last edited by Kaisshau; 2008-06-16 at 10:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Sir Quentin Moreau

Quentin bristled at the rudeness of the warden. The nobility of Bretonnia weren't accustomed to being brushed off, much less talked down to, but Quentin's vagabond lifestyle (and less-than-noble encounters in the past) had aided in eroding away many of the unwarranted extravagances of his pride. Blatant distrust and inhospitality to a guest were still two things he hadn't learned to accept about these Imperials, however. The youngest of the Moreaus was left to choose his stance.

Felix seems willing to go along with them, and his judgement in these matters has typically proven sound. However, bold Urgrim is right - if the Chaos-spawn are as plentiful as they say, it must be fate that lead us to arrive safely. I won't have our path to glory hindered by these people's baseless suspicion!

Quentin eased his horse forward to stand next to the battle-ready Urgrim, but he kept his weapon lifted vertically to ease the sense of hostility. "I share a certain sentiment with my companion Urgrim, here. I believe I would sooner be refused entry into your town before I was invited in at sword-point, sir. I, for one, can content myself to make camp outside of your defenses if your distrust of us is so great. If your commander wishes to speak with us, he can do so without clapping us in irons. Let him shout down to us from your ramparts if we seem so...sinister," he says sarcastically, "...as to warrant such treatment."
    Last edited by TheGreatJabu; 2008-06-17 at 04:05 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Felix

Felix was slightly amused at the display of his two bravest companions, and not very surprised. They had a lot more pride than he had. As a bounty hunter, Felix was used to being distrusted, but in the end he knew that he would eventually be valued as well. He had no honor to defend, and little pride in those matters.

I can go talk to Pieter and try to negotiate for our entrance without harm inside the city walls. Let Illiiya, Magnus and myself - assuming they want to accompany me - go talk to him first, and you can make camp out here. If we're not out by dawn, go on without us or do as you please, my friends.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The others' general reaction surprised him. The town's response certainly seemed to make sense.

"Seems fair enough to me," Magnus shrugged.
    "Question not the ways of the script, there's always a bigger fish."
    STR 10, DEX 14, CON 12, INT 13, WIS 13, CHA 14
    Lawful Good Human Fighter

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya looked to the dwarf and his mounted companion with a mixture of wariness and slight... agreement. The strange-looking little man had not been the most polite or stable-seeming of companions... but she felt he was right.

W-we should.... stay together.... She muttered to Felix, taking his hand, I don't want... t-to be locked up... That's... I mean... It's just...

She hesitated a moment, not certain how he would take what she thought to say... that the man must be a fool for disarming and arresting men and women who came to help, and were capable of doing so.

S-something doesn't feel right.... I don't... She looked out over the city itself, still feeling the nagging presence of the chaos winds at her back... or was it just her imagination?

T-this feels wrong. He's got men... and... weapons... but he won't fight, and he w-wont... leave. He just.... keeps sending people.... out.... to die.... She whispered to Felix softly, hoping on he could hear her, W-what if he's.... mad? Or... tainted? He... doesn't seem like h-e's being... very smart about this...

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Felix

Felix listens to Illiiya but doesn't agree right away.

Well, he might be mad, but I don't think so. He can't really order the troops to go out to fight, because then he'd lose the advantage of the walls and if they lose out in the open, then there's no one left behind to protect the city. I really don't see anything mad about that, honestly.

I'm sure he's just being over protective of the city. I think if we talk to him, it will be all right and we won't be put in jail. I trust that Pieter will see reason. We have no reason to be afraid, we haven't done anything wrong.

26. - Top - End - #86

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Arghh, so many replies. Forum is messing up for me, but I'm assuming that Felix and Iliiya are keeping the last two posts amongst themselves?

Sergeant Gerhardt pulls his horse round and listens to your outbursts. His expression sours as you close you arguments, however. Adressing Felix, Quentin and Urgrim, he replies with a flourish, "Why, you're welcome to stay outside, good sirs. However, you're also welcome to help. What are we supposed to do, hmm? Trust you to save us all from the Beastmen that have killed a company and more? Or take a few precautions before we let armed men into our town under siege? Sigmar's oath, I've only had the names off two of you first-hand! I'm not saying I mistrust you, but I am damn well saying I would be a fool to trust you, and you're not helping by refusing to giveup your thrice-cursed weapons! We cannot afford to take risks. Pieter's in charge, not me, and..." He stares round at his two companions on horseback. "He's panicking, which makes it much harder for all of us to try and survive this. Old Menon didn't exactly help the situation by running into the woods with his wife, his friends, half the treasury and most of the horses and getting spitted by some goat-face's spear. I will put in a good word for you - I don't believe you're cultists, or spies of the Beastmen, even if you do have the gall to ask for money from half-starving, half-dead wretches like ourselves." He grins a little. "Try that in town and the crowds will tear you apart. You need to show that you can trust us if you want us to trust you, and the least you can do is come in town, give up your weapons for a while, and answer some questions from the Watch Captain. It's not for our good, either - what are people going to think when they see strangers coming in, hmm? When they've seen their own family try to make for the woods and end up spitted on the trees? When they've barely enough food to survive for a week?" He looks at Magnus. "Maybe you can convince your friends, soldier."
    Last edited by Myshlaevsky; 2008-06-17 at 12:20 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Felix

Speaking for myself, I'd rather go to the city. The only other alternative is to go through the forest again, and we might not be as lucky on the way back as we were getting here. I don't see what the big deal is, we are asking to enter a city that's under siege!!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

A-alright Felix... I trust you. Illiiya spoke softly, and released his hand, raising her voice slightly for all to hear I'm willing to go i-inside... If Felix s-says it's alright... I believe him.

29. - Top - End - #89

Sir Quentin Moreau

Quentin's face flushed red underneath his helmet. Some of the more prideful of the Bretonnian nobility would wage war over such an indignity, but Quentin had seen far more of how 'the other side' had to live to survive than many of his peers. Hell, they're just scared, fool. They've seen nothing but evil for days on end, and here you are getting all prissy about their lack of graciousness.

The knight errant draws in a deep breath. "This city is under siege by fell creatures, NOT by those who would bear any resemblance to us. Your treatment of us is uncalled for..." He pauses momentarily, then resumes in a softer, conceding tone, "-but understandable. You've been beset by nothing but Evil, and it should be our task to remind your people that they're not alone in this sea of darkness. I, too, will come peacefully."

Quentin reaches up with his shield-arm and pulls off his helmet, setting it down on the horn of his saddle. "I don't claim to be a savior - I just want to help you fight."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

"Sui' yerself manling. I ain't wit' turstin' anyun who'll deny me mah weapons, an' mah ability ta defend meself. I aint abou' ta le' mahself die a coward's death, by yer hands 'er anyuns."

Sitting where he had been standing, Urgrim looked at Felix. "Ai'll be waitin' fer ya to ge' back. An' iffn Ai'm no' here, tha' means somethin' kill'd me. Ya wit' me, Quen'in?"