New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Zombie

Default Update the Update Schedule

No discussion about the update schedule, but bout how discussing the update of the update schedule which currently reads "Updates Tuesdays and Saturdays before midnight (Eastern Standard Time). Usually."

I just don't get why you guys don't listen to some reasonable suggestions, like taking an announced hiatus to build up a backlog and hold back some ideas. You do two comics in two days, then fall back to weeks between episodes.

Chainmail bikini, excellent writing, subpar artwork, great communication (until near the end) recently crashed and burned because the artist couldn't keep up. Kinda funny to me because when I first saw the comic I thought the artwork was horrendous but thought "well, they gotta do that to keep up with a rigorous schedule." Joke's on me because that wasn't the case at all, and Shamus has to find someone else to match his comedic talent.

Erfworld, excellent writing, excellent artwork, dedication to frequency well below par, communication nearly nonexistant, fate to this point unknown.

Though I gotta admit, it's funny reading the BILLIONS of theories about "what does that ink blot mean" or "holy crap, that looks like Optimus Prime, could that mean we'll see a Franstormers faction soon?!?" or "that 4 pixel pinkish aura around that guy in the background - could that be the antihero Bob234 mentioned in his post last July?!!?" that are generated mostly because there are no updates and nature abhors a vacuum.

Anyway, please change the update schedule header, it's insulting.
    Last edited by Rosnet; 2008-06-04 at 07:38 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Update the Update Schedule

Having an online comic of my own I understand the importance of communicating lags in updates to one's readers. I've come to learn over the years that even if you have a long hiatus, letting your readers know ahead of time of that lag with an idea of when the updates will come back tends to sit fairly well with them. They usually will be patient if your comic is good enough for the wait.

I like erfworld. I'd wait for the updates. I'd like to just know what to expect with the wait so I know when to come back.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'd like to comment, but I've been warned about commenting on anything to do with the frequency of updates, or lack thereof by the moderators.

So...How about them Phillies?!?!? They've won 8 of their last 9!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Let's see. Per pclips' post on 11/4/07:

Erfworld will update when we can make updates happen. That may be as few as three or four times monthly, though we would like it to be more, and will do it as often as we can.

Let's see how things have gone since:

11/07: 2 updates
    12/07: 4
    1/08: 4
    2/08: 4
    3/08: 4
    4/08: 3
    5/08: 3

With the exception of November (which was kind of a hiatus month IIRC), they have never slipped below 3 updates per month, so they are still making their stated goal. I'd like to see it happen more often just like everyone else, but I fail to see a problem here.
    Last edited by Mr. Goodwraith; 2008-06-04 at 10:31 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodwraith View Post
    With the exception of November (which was kind of a hiatus month IIRC), they have never slipped below 3 updates per month, so they are still making their stated goal. I'd like to see it happen more often just like everyone else, but I fail to see a problem here.
    The OP seems to have been referring to the update schedule that appears above the comic itself. While I wouldn't agree that it's "insulting", it's reasonable to suggest that this be updated to the more recently stated goal - which, as you demonstrate, more accurately reflects the actual update schedule - especially given that many readers (new readers in particular) might not visit the forum. Not sure if Rob or Jamie has any direct control over that, though.
    Last edited by Psychonaut; 2008-06-04 at 01:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

As my granny always says "Patience is a virtue, posess it if you can"

They do this in their spare time.

Between work, home life and sleep there would be scant enough time to hang out with their friends/wives, let alone web comic production.

Web comic production is (it seems to me) a labour of love akin to GMing, and like GMing if you take it for granted and assume that it is done in a vacume for your pleasuer alone you are likely to loose it.

Every update is an unheralded pleasure and long may this continue.
    Exploding nuns, just what everyone needs...
    Never were truer words spoken ThorFluff

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I was actually just thinking the same thing when I checked in today. I realize this is an amateur comic and I don't really expect any kind of update schedule. However, I could see a new reader seeing the update schedule and just giving the comic up for dead after checking in a few Tuesdays or Saturdays with no updates.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

While I find pointless to discuss the update of a free webcomic, provided without any requirement (not even free subscription, anyone can enter and read), the OP has a point. He is not discussing frequency, but communication. If you release a comics every day, say so. If twice a week, ok. If you release it every time a comet strikes Saturn, it's still fine. But when you declared timeline is quite different from the real one, it would be more honest to admit and change it.
    Bruno the Bandit change it's release time every time the author (Ian McDonald) feels the need. Every time, the change is advertised.
    Sacred Pie release a new page every week - with only one exception this far, and it was a matter on hours. While the webcomics is mediocre (personal opinion) I admire the constancy of the author.
    Sexylosers (VM18 - beware) is updated randomly, rarely, and without notification. Guess what, it's stated in the first page. Take it or leave it, that is.

I love Erfworld, as I really like OotS. I won't call dibs on authors heads even after a couple on month of hiatus, but still I could appreciate a fair communication. In Italy, it's said that "To come in time is the courtesy of the royal" (rudely translated, sorry). That is, if you are the King you are never late - a King dictates time and rules. So, it's much more a valuable show of courtesy to avoid people wait for you. Because you don't have to.

One little note, for the sake of correctness:

Chainmail bikini, excellent writing, subpar artwork, great communication (until near the end) recently crashed and burned because the artist couldn't keep up.
    (emphasis mine)
    Wrong. One of the author, the artist, didn't wont to keep up. He just admitted that the project was not really in his heart, and dropped. Very, very sad in my opinion, because I loved the story. At least, they released the script, so we know the end.

Laurentio

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio View Post
    In Italy, it's said that "To come in time is the courtesy of the royal" (rudely translated, sorry).
    I think the English proverb equivalent to the Italian one is "Punctuality is the politeness of princes".

These days I don't mind inconsistent webcomics as much as I used to, as most have RSS feeds that will tell me when they update. That being said, if the update schedule needs to be changed to "it'll be done when it's done" it'd be good to change that to the official policy on the webpage.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodwraith View Post
    Let's see. Per pclips' post on 11/4/07:

Erfworld will update when we can make updates happen. That may be as few as three or four times monthly, though we would like it to be more, and will do it as often as we can.
    Ahhhh, I never knew that. Now I know!
    And knowing is half the battle, yadda yadda...
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2008-06-05 at 07:21 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: Discussion of the timing of comic updates is an Inappropriate Topic on these boards. Please see the Forum Rules.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex