New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default In the Shadow of Death (IC)

The dew still clings to the grass and the sun hangs low on the eastern horizon as you stand just outside of the village of Green Brooke Hollow, surrounded by a gathering of villagers wishing you a safe journey. Johann, a local woodsman, has estimated that it will take you two days to make the trip, one and a half if you make good time, so you and your companions will arrive in Willow Bend a couple of days before Ofilia Ulson is to be wed to Henrik Finn.

Henrik had grown up in Green Brooke Hollow, playmate and friend to many of you, mentor or student to others, but four years ago, at the age of 18, Henrik had moved to Willow Bend in order to make a living as a dockhand. There he fell in love with Ofilia, the daughter of one of the farmers from the surrounding country side, and Henrik had worked tirelessly for the past two years in order to save up enough coin to pay for the wedding and a house large enough for the two of them, plus a few little ones in the near future.

So it is to celebrate the union of these two lovers in the eyes of the Gods that has stirred up all the excitement in Green Brooke Hollow for the past month, the local farmers and tradesmen gather together what they can spare to gift to one of their own as he moves from one stage of life to another. Henrik's parents have taken this opportunity to pass along a family heirloom to their eldest son, a set of matching silver spoon, wrought with hearts and roses and which Henrik's mother claims was given to her great grandmother on her wedding day by a wealthy suitor who she had passed up for her great grandfather. Master Warren went door to door to all the farm houses in the surrounding area and scrapped together enough donations from the other villagers to pay for a set of finely crafted and elaborately carved wooden bowls for the new family. Others have prepared food for the wedding celebration, Mother Murinna, the priestess of Marrellia, donating some of her famous rhubarb and strawberry pies, Farmer Woolson digging up a couple jugs of cider that he had buried under his barn to age and donating them for a 'rowdy good time at the feast', and Boar carrying with him a pair of wild pork rib racks that must weigh at least 60 pounds, all salted and tied up in a waxed cloth bundle. But unfortunately for the farmers and tradesman, who would love nothing more than to put down the plow and the hammer and travel to Willow Bend to sing and dance and forget about the hard times to come, it is the hight of planting season, and if the fields are not sewn within the next couple of days the cold north winds of winter will bring starvation and death.

Thus, Master Warren has organized a delegation of townsfolk to travel to Willow Bend on behalf of the people of Green Brooke Hollow and to bring the gifts that are to be bestowed upon Henrik and Ofilia. And after weeks of preparation, here you stand, backpack packed full and walking stick in hand and ready to make the journey to the larger town of Willow Bend.

Schella's father picks her up in a great bear hug, his thick, tan farmer's arms entwining her so tightly that she has to gasp for breath, "I want you to close to Bren and Gondal, they'll watch over you and make sure you don't get into any trouble. If you don't listen to them I can assure you that I will hear about it, and you will be in for a thrashing that would flay the skin from a dragon. Be safe pumpkin, I'll see you back home soon." He plants a loud kiss on Schella's forehead before setting her back on the ground.

Old Magda slowly makes her way towards the gathered party, swathed in a multitude of formless robes and leaning heavily upon her staff. Hobbling up to Denis, she whispers in his ear in a low, trembling voice, "I nearly forgot. While you're in Willow Bend, be sure to gather some bark from the willow trees that grow along the river. When treated properly, the bark of willow may dull the pain from injury or illness, it would make a wonderful addition to your supply of herbs and I have nearly run out of my own supply." Backing away from Denis, Old Magda addresses the rest of the delegation assembled,"The Great Cycle take you where it will, and may it bring you back safely to where you started."

Johann looks worriedly at the sun rising above the tree line, and, picking up on the woodsman's thoughts, Master Warren clears his throat and turns to Bren and Gondal. "I am afraid that we have kept you here too long already. If you wish to reach Willow Bend before dark tomorrow you had best be off right away. May the journey be pleasant and I shall pray that you meet with no troubles along the way." With that, Master Warren and the rest of villages raise their hands in farewell, then turn their backs and make their way back to their fields and a long day of work.
    DMing In the Shadow of Death IC/OOC
    Lorne Keldoryn in Beauty and the Blight of the Black Rose IC/OOC
    Grudok Blackclaw in Legends of Arhade IC/OOC
    Marcellus Ashhad-Verinus in The Age of Wyrms IC/OOC
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: In the Shadow of Death (IC)

Gondal Wynn

Gondal stood quietly as he listened to Schella's father caution her about the trip. While he was happy for Henrik, Gondal's own past kept using the reminder of young love to throw up memories of Seline and a heartache a decade old but not yet forgotten.

As Johann gave them his final words and the others turned back towards Green Brooke Hollow, Gondal picked up his pack, with his smithing tools inside, and slung it onto his back. While the wedding was the main purpose of the trip, Gondal planned to get some work done with Harkken Groldig, the dwarven smithy that lived in Willow Bend. There were some projects that required two smiths, and none of the lads who worked the bellows for Gondal in Green Brooke Hollow were up to the work.

Checking to make sure that the strap for his largest smithing hammer was tied securely to his waist, Gondal turned towards the path to Willow Bend and set out. "Let's be off, then. I'd rather not risk getting into Green Brooke after dark, and it'll be a long trip no matter how quickly we walk."
    Adjudicator

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Denis Champmathieu:

Denis nods to Old Magda, smiling. "Thank you for everything. Until we meet again!"

Lifting his pack from the ground, he shoulders it and then takes up his staff from where he'd left it leaning against a wall. "Right behind you, Gondal!," he calls cheerily. Looking around, he spots Val still playing with a group of the younger village children. "Val! VAL! Come here, girl! Heel! Heel, girl!" He turns and falls in behind Gondal as Val comes trotting up, setting off with a spring in his step and a song in his heart.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Boar

Boar watches as the families of those that are traveling with him say their farewells. His eyes scan over the assembled crowd. He knows he is looking for one that will not be their. Who cannot be their. He lies beneath a great oak, not far from the village. They won't pass it on the way to Willow Bend. Boar's eyes drift toward the mighty tree. Even from this distance he thinks he can pick out it's canopy. Watch over me Father. I hope I can make you prowd. Tears fight to form in Boar's eyes as he silently turns down the path to Willow Bend. I am strong. I am to provide for these people, my new kinsmen.

The half-orc stands tall and leans into his walk with the weight of the ribs he carries. I am to help provide and protect as we travel. Father, protect us. Guide my arrows when they fly, and my feet as they walk.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Everhayt

The orphan looks with slight envy Schella's protecting father. The kid was glad, since he was going to see the few living relatives he knew, but seeing the girl's farewell made him miss his father. A lot. Nonetheless he says goodbye to everyone, and particularly to the inkeeper's which have been particularly kind to him.

Everhayt's mood seems to lighten when he sees Dennis' animal friend. Hey, Val, how're you doing, girl? I bet you want a piece of those ribs as much as I want a piece of those pies! he asks the dog, wondering if anyone would notice if a small piece of one of the pies was missing.

The kid doesn't carry much baggage; his backpack, a long cloth-wrapped package and the most bulky of it all, the old bagpipes he likes to carry around. He is no bard, however, and the last time he played in public he had waay more enthusiasm than skill.

Everhayt walks following Gondal, and tries to pet Val along the way.
    a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bren Mardok - Human Cleric

While the rest of the villagers were saying their goodbyes, Bren was kneeling down in front of Van, his youngest child.

"Van, my son...you'll have to watch over our family while I'm gone. But don't worry," he said as he saw the sad look on Van's face, "I'll be home soon, and we'll take that walk to Mr. Berman's orchid." He embraced his two children, the third wandering about in the forest on the opposite side of town.

"Be careful, Elssyia. May Navim watch over you all." Giving his wife a quick peck on the cheek, he turned and joined the group as they made their way out of town.

"I feel good about this journey"
    he said as he scanned the forest, perhaps hoping to spot his eldest son Veriss. He took a few minutes to stretch as the others prepared to depart.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Martoss Krumder, Dwarven Cleric of Wee Jas
    Gorm, Goblin Barbarian//Scout
    Van Veranti, Elven Rogue
    Jin Durann, Tiefling Fighter
    Bilken Dessum, Fire Genasi Fighter//Favored Soul

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Donny Lune - Human Wizard

Donny, idling on the edge of the group, yawns. The old fools love their speeches, love the sound of their own voices waffling on for hours on end. Bleary eyed he glances at the low-slung sun peaking over the trees and shivers. He hasn't been up this early since... well, it must have been before Warren had thrown him out. Thinking of this raises his temperature just a little bit and he glances at his nemesis, Elia.

Why was Master Warren sending her anyway? Wasn't he enough as a representation of the village's power? Donny narrows his eyes at Elia. She was probably being sent along to keep an eye on him. They had to send him, as he was obviously the more powerful, but they didn't trust him. Well, let them talk behind his back.

This brought his mind back to the here and now. In particular the pack currently digging into his shoulder. He was already regretting accepting to carry the sealed jugs of cider. He wasn't a pack horse, he shouldn't have to carry things.

Donny groans, as his irritation gently warms him from the inside.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Elia Brinon - Enchantress

"Backpack, check. Food, check. Bowls, double check. Big stick to beat Donny with, triple check. Nice clothes for the wedding, check." Her first trip beyond a days walk of the village and Elia was taking special measures to ensure she doesn't get caught out. So far she had remembered everything, even th beatin- er walking sitck. She thoughy this as she looked at Donny, stiffling a giggle. She wasn't sure why Donny was coming, although it may be because the village was getting sick of him. Why can't I get a break from him, she sighed now. Donny was coming along and Henrik was getting married. This day couldn't get any worse. Turning to everyone realising she had been staring into space for a good short while she blurted out, "Hello everyone!" her words stumbling over themselves to get out. She was now blushing, bright red. Fool! Say something funny! "The duck flys at night!" She blurted out as her mind berated her. No! The duck flys at night? What was that! Elia lowered her head even as her mind continued to berate her for her foolishness.
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gondal Wynn

Gondal cast an exasperated look behind him at the rest of the group, some still loitering around the road out of Green Brooke Hollow. "Get the lead out, folks," he called behind him. "We'll never get there if you drag your feet from the start."

Shifting his pack on his shoulders, the smith once more turned towards the road to Willow Bend.
    Adjudicator

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Boar

Hearing Gondal's words, Boar turns to the others. "You heard Smithy. We need to make good time to be there before dusk tomorrow." Boar adjusts his own pack. Why am I bringing ribs from a Dire Boar. Gods these could feed an army.
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2008-06-11 at 12:34 PM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Donny

Donny bursts out laughing at Elia's strange decision to turn herself into a gibbering wreck before the trip had even begun. It is not kind laughter. Wiping a tear from his eye Donny grins charmingly at the his fellow wizard.

"Thank you for that eloquent speech, Elia. You brought a tear to my eye."

With that he turns his back on her and starts walking off after the smith and the lumbering oaf still grinning.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Denis:

Denis looks back over his shoulder and sees Donny's grin. There's no chance of mistaking the look on Donny's face, not after living in the village together for so long - Donny definitely thinks he's scored a point in whatever nasty little game it is he thinks he's playing at the moment.

He calls back over his shoulder, "I'm surprised you even condescend to walk with us mere mortals, Donny. What's wrong? Do you not have the power to whisk yourself off the Willow Bend in a blink? Because if not, you might at least try being civil - we're all going to be seeing an awful lot of each other for the next several days, you know, and there's no point in making the trip unpleasant."

He turns again as soon as he's finished speaking, not waiting to see what Donny's reaction might be. He doesn't really expect that to change anything, not where so many others have already tried and failed, but his conscience is satisfied now that he's at least made some effort - for Donny's sake as much as for the sanity of the rest of the group.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

You set off on you journey, heading in the direction that the sun is rising from, its golden rays lighting the dew drops causing the wet grass looks like a field of diamonds. The day is cool for mid spring, a light breeze makes you pull your cloak tight about yourself. You path leads you along Green Brooke, a slow, gurgling stream, but by mid day the gurgle has turned to a roar as Green Brooke merges with the great Ollen River. Amidst the trees grow along the banks of the river, large wood and stone bridge spans the Ollen, its timbers worn gray by age and by weather, but instead of crossing the river you turn down narrow path that leads you along side the raging stream, under an arched cannopy of oak trees.

You continue marching for many hours and, as it will, day eventually begins to give way to night, the sun slowly sinking behind you. The shadows of the trees grow longer, reaching out to grab you and pull you into the yawning abyss that is the forest. Fearing that you soon will not have enough sun light to even light a fire, the party begins to look for a suitable place to set up camp.

Denis and Bren

Spoiler
    Show
    As you are searching for a suitable place to set up camp, you notice to your left, alongside the river, you notice a large, oddly shaped object, too geometrical to naturally occur in a forest.

Boar and Everhayt
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you are searching for a suitable place to set up camp, you notice to your left, alongside the river, what appears to be a wagon, it front end sunken into the mud and water of the river.
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Denis:

That's funny - I wonder what it is. It's a pretty good size, whatever it is, Denis thinks, squinting to try to peer through the gathering dusk. He thinks for a moment about calling out to the others, bringing it to the group's attention... but night is falling and they do still need to find a campsite. This is something he'd really like to check out in the morning, though, when there's more light. Shrugging his shoulders, he returns his attention to the task of finding a suitable clearing as the shadows continue to lengthen.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival check to find a campsite: (1d20+9)[20](29)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Everhayt

The young man stops and comes closer to the wagon. His hand instinctively moves towards the cloth-wrapped package he carries, although he doesn't open it yet. So, what do we have here? The thought of calling the others skims through his mind, but curiosity wins over. So why is this abandoned here, and what did it carry? he wonders. Moving silently as he did when sneaking around the village, Everhayt approaches the half-sunken vehicle.

Spoiler
    Show

ok, the kid gets closer, but as stealthily as he can
    Move silently (1d20+6)[9]
    Hide (1d20+6)[9]

Well, that wasn't exactly very stealthily...
    Last edited by elkhantar; 2008-06-12 at 05:17 AM.
    a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Boar

Catching sight of the wagon and Everhayt's attempt at a silent approach, Boar decides to follow suit. He first carefully lowers his back pack to the ground, glad to be out from under the weight of the ribs. He then retrieves his bow and nooks an arrow. Using shadows where possible, Boar approaches opposite Everhayt and examines the wagon.

Spoiler
    Show

No ribs no penalty for encumbrance...Yeah!!

Hide - (1d20+8)[17]
    MS - (1d20+8)[23]

Assuming nothing else happens

Search - (1d20+6)[19]
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2008-06-12 at 08:36 AM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Denis
    Spoiler
    Show
    It doesn't take you long to find the perfect camping spot. The area is off to the right of the path, far enough away from the river so that the roar of the Ollen has changed to more of a hiss, but close enough still that it will not take long to reach the river if you need water. The area itself is raised slightly above the rest of the ground, protecting the area in case of rain, but the top of the rise is surprisingly flat, without an exposed root or stone in sight, practically ensuring a good nights sleep.

Everhayt
    Spoiler
    Show
    You try carefully make your way towards the wagon unseen and unheard, but you step a fallen branch with a loud snap and your foot catches on an exposed root, sending you tumbling into the open. Fortunately, there does not appear to be anyone near the wagon. The wagon itself seems in rather good condition, the yellow and purple paint peeling in some places but over all it does not look like it has been here long. The front to wheels of the wagon have been pushed into the river along with the yoke and hitch, while the back wheels have partially sunk into the mud of the bank.

Boar
    Spoiler
    Show
    You carefully make your way towards the wagon, ducking behind trees to remain out of sight. As you reach the bank of the river, you can see that there is no one but Everhayt near the wagon. The wagon itself seems in rather good condition, the yellow and purple paint peeling in some places but over all it does not look like it has been here long. The front to wheels of the wagon have been pushed into the river along with the yoke and hitch, while the back wheels have partially sunk into the mud of the bank. Most of whatever was being carried in the wagon is now gone but there are a couple of ripped open sacks, their content of seed and potatoes spilling out unto the floor of the wagon. Other than the ripped open sacks, their does not appear to be any sign of a struggle. Searching around the outside of the wagon, you notice that it was pushed to the river from the direction your party is now heading, and a number of large, wolf-like tacks circle the wagon, though large wolfs pushing a wagon into the river hardly seems to make sense.
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Boar

Seeing nothing of immediate danger, Boar returns to his pack and hoists it back to his shoulders. Returning to the wagon, he calls to the rest, "Hey! Something interesting over here. This here wagon's been attacked. It's been pushed into this muck from that direction," he points in the direction the group is traveling, "and I found some interesting tracks. They look like wolf tracks, but that doesn't really make sense." The usually plain faced half-orc wrinkles his brow as he ponders the tracks. "I could follow them, but I don't want to delay our trip. If someone doesn't mind watching these ribs I think I will do just that for a mile or so. See where they lead to."

If anyone offers to take his pack, Boar, hands it over, but keeps his bow and quiver. If no one offers he leaves the pack at the campsite.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Nature check for more information on the tracks.
    Nature - (1d20+6)[11]

Unless their are objections from the group, Survival roll to follow the tracks for a mile, as well as Hide and Move Silently rolls to avoid detection.
    Survival - (1d20+10)[23]
    Hide - (1d20+8)[25]
    MS - (1d20+8)[14]

Oh and the Survival roll to get back to camp.
    Survival - (1d20+10)[12]
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2008-06-12 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Correct game info
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Donny

Trailing at the back, Donny's ears perk up at the suggestion of a chance of a rest.

"Well, you'd better go and look. Might be a good idea just in case. Don't want to be attacked by wolves tonight, do we?"

Kurt

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Denis

Denis looks up from the campfire he's building at the center of the clearing. "You can set them down here, Boar, that's no problem at all. But," he continues worriedly, "it's getting to be pretty dark, are you sure you'll be able to follow the tracks - and get back to camp? I mean, maybe we'd do better to just set a watch tonight and look into it in the morning. I don't know, though. Gondal? Bren? What do you guys think we should do?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gondal Wynn

Gondal looked back from a little further up the road, where he had been peering up the trail while Denis set up camp. Casting one last glance over his shoulder, Gondal headed back to camp.

"If there are wolves out here, we need to be careful. No going off on your own. Everyone should stick to pairs, at least. I agree with Boar, we should check the tracks out. At the very least, the families will want to know what happened to the wagon's owners." A slight shadow of emotion passed over Gondal's face at this though, but the smith shrugged it off.

Lowering his apron and pack to the ground near Denis' campfire, Gondal hefted the hammer in his hand. "I'll go with you, Boar. Denis, we'll try to be back in under an hour. But if we don't come back, don't come after us. Wait until morning and push on to Willow Bend. Let Harkken Groldig, the smithy there, know where we went missing. If the wolves get Boar and me, they're going to want to send someone to clean them out before more people are killed."

Turning to the wagon, Gondal gripped his hammer tightly and set out to follow Boar. The smith took a careful look at the tracks to see what he could find and noted their route through the trees, making sure they could find their way back.

Spoiler
    Show

Gondal Wynn
    All checks are designed to assist Boar's checks, unless Gondal gets a higher score than him
    Survival Check to identify details of track: (1d20+1)[2]
    Survival Check to track the wolves: (1d20+1)[13]
    Survival Check to return to camp: (1d20+1)[6]
    Adjudicator

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bren Mardok - Human Cleric

Bren nods to Gondal as he lays out his plan.

"We'll try to stay safe, Gondal. Good luck on your search, and try to be back soon."
    Bren slowly lowers himself to the ground and leans back against a tree. The day's travels have left him a little weary, and he nearly falls asleep after a short minute.

"Don't worry,"
    he says after the duo departs, "I'm sure they won't run into any trouble. And if they get lost I'm sure we'll be able to find them again." A few minutes later he lets out a loud snore as sleep finally grips him.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Martoss Krumder, Dwarven Cleric of Wee Jas
    Gorm, Goblin Barbarian//Scout
    Van Veranti, Elven Rogue
    Jin Durann, Tiefling Fighter
    Bilken Dessum, Fire Genasi Fighter//Favored Soul

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gondal and Boar

The two of you head back to where you found the wagon by the river and, searching about, Boar discovers that the wolf tracks leading in two different directions, one set going away from the wagon along the river bank and the other coming to the wagon from the path along with the wagon tracks. Following the tracks that lead away from wagon proves unproductive as after a few hundred feet the tracks veer into the river and are lost under the water.

Heading back to the wagon, you follow the other set of tracks to until you reach the path. There you find two other sets of tracks, one that appears to be the hooves of oxen and the others appear to be two booted humanoids, around 150 to 200 pounds each, though one is significantly heavier than the other. Both sets of tracks head towards the river the same as the wolf tracks had. The wolf tracks at this spot trail off into the woods to the right of the road, and, after fallowing them for a good half hour, you get the feeling that they will go on for quite a distance.

Boar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other than the paw prints from the wolf tracks being abnormally large, you get the feeling that the creatures are moving oddly for a wolf, though you can't quite put your finger on what is wrong.
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Denis:

Back at the campsite... Denis rummages through his pack and comes up with some jerky and hardtack to serve as his evening "meal." Between mouthfuls, he brings up the topic of standing watches again: "Well, um, I guess if we're going to set a watch it'd be good to have... maybe three different shifts? I can stay up and take the first one, I guess, unless someone else really wants to - does, ah, anyone else want to take a turn standing watch?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Denis consumes 1 day's worth of travel rations; during tomorrow's travel he will try to forage using Survival instead.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Elia Brinon
    OOC: Gah! I'll assume she ignored what was going on and trailed in the middle of the group. So now she is at the camp site, getting ready for bed.

Stretching her arms up and around her back Elia yawned. It had been a long day and this would be the first time she hadn't slept in her own comfortable bed. This adventuring stuff sound'd so much more exciting in storys, maybe something fun will happen tonight. Maybe a wolf will eat Donny. With a crazed smile she shoots a look at Donny as she plumps up her back back for use as a pillow, "Be careful you don't get eaten by wolves tonight. They might be still hungry." and with that taunt she will curl up and pretend to go to sleep, waiting for Donny to fall asleep. "This is going to be fun!" She thought.
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Donny

Donny kicks a stick vaguely at Elia but without much effort and it skitters off at an odd angle. More interesting to him, even more so than the watch rotations that Denis is muttering about, is the freedom his shoulders are now experiencing with the weight of the cider off of them. Putting it down on what appears to be a fairly flat area he tries to settle down for the night.

However, Donny is not yet tired enough to fail to notice the stones that seem to poke into him at every angle, no matter how he turns. With much complaining and tossing and bruises Donny eventually slips into a restless sleep.

Kurt

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Boar

"Well, Gondal, I don't think we are going to get anywhere tonight. We do need to let them know about this when we arrive. Something is just funny about those tracks. They are rather large for wolves. Well, nothing I can do about it tonight, let's get back to camp."

Spoiler
    Show

Another attempt at returning to camp by the most direct route.

Survival - (1d20+10)[24]

NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Night falls quickly, the forest plunged into the deepest darkness, but Boar manages to grope his way to the path and he and Gondal stumble into the camp minutes later.

The night passes without the stirring of a mouse, interrupted only by the mournful woo wooing of a lone owl. The day sneaks up upon you just as quietly, the sun hanging above the trees before any of you arise. A mist hangs in the air, giving the forest an unearthly glow and chilling you to the bone. Pulling your cloaks tight about you, you set about the task of preparing a quick breakfast and packing up the camp.
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gondal Wynn

As Gondal settled his belongings tightly into his pack, he laid out for the others what Boar and he came across during their tracking spree and the oddness Boar noticed about the tracks. "Boar, you did a great job last night, and you're the only reason we got back to camp. Remind me to take me with you when I next go traipsing through the woods on a crazy stunt like that," the smith said with a wry grin.

"Still," he continued, turning back to the others, "We're not equipped to deal with missing persons, no matter how much we might want to help. I'm afraid we'd only end up as more missing people for the villages to worry about. I think the smartest thing to do is head on Willow Bend and contact the village mayor there and let him know what we found. He can decide what to do after that. What do the rest of you think?"
    Adjudicator

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Denis:

Denis frowns, "I hate to leave anybody hurt out here in the woods, Gondal... but we don't know there's anybody hurt out here to begin with, and if they are out here we don't know where they are. For all we know, they turned back to Willow Bend after whatever happened here, and they're already back in town with their feet up. So I guess I have to agree with you - but we ought to let Magistrate Savil know what you found as soon as we get into town."

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival check to forage for fresh food while traveling to Willow Bend: (1d20+9)[26]
    Survival check to spot willow trees and gather bark, as requested by Old Magda: (1d20+9)[13]