New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: In the Shadow of Death (IC)

Donny

Donny trails dejectedly behind the stretcher-bearers and their burden lost in a world of his own. He fails to even complain about the weight of his pack or the ache in his feet. This alone might be a cause for concern considering the amount of fuss he had been making previous to the Gnoll attack, but coupled with his failure to make even the slightest derisory comment suggests that Donny is hurting deeper than one might have thought possible for the usually incorrigible wizard.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

You make your yourselves a stretcher out of the materials at hand, some discarded weapons and a spare blanket, and gently lift Elia onto the makeshift contraption. You move significantly slower with the extra burden, and though the path moves out from the hills, it looks like you will be unable to make Willowbend by sundown and must choose between making camp once more or pushing yourselves to reach your destination sooner.
    DMing In the Shadow of Death IC/OOC
    Lorne Keldoryn in Beauty and the Blight of the Black Rose IC/OOC
    Grudok Blackclaw in Legends of Arhade IC/OOC
    Marcellus Ashhad-Verinus in The Age of Wyrms IC/OOC
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Schella

When the subject is broached about making camp or continuing on (Schella won't start the topic herself, though, as she has never been to Willow bend and doesn't know how far away it is), she says, I think we should camp. As much as I want to get to Willow Bend, traveling at night doesn't seem like a good idea. What if someone carrying the stretcher tripped? I say we find a place to stop.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

Boar

Boar hoists his pack, then takes the forward facing end of the stretcher, despite the weight of his pack. As it becomes evident that they won't make it to Willow Bend by sundown, "We need to press on. Willow Bend shouldn't be much farther. Elia needs some major care, and honestly, Gondal you don't look too much better." As he looks over the rest of the group, his usually hard face softens slightly. "We've all been through something very tragic and horrifying today. For many of us it was a first. I know your tired. I am also, but we need to reach the safety of town. I didn't find tracks for any other Gnolls, but whats to say those are the only ones around here. We should press on."
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gondal Wynn

The blacksmith studied the setting sun and listened as Boar and Schella talked. "I agree it will be dangerous to keep going once the sun sets, Schella, but Boar is right. I'm about wore out and sleep won't fix my problems. In fact, if I lie down now, I doubt I'll get back up. We need to push on and reach Willow's Bend tonight."

Even that much talking seemed to wear Gondal out, and he cast his eyes once more to the hills and plains around them, watching for intruders.
    Adjudicator

6. - Top - End - #96

Schella

Well, if those who were actually wounded wanted to keep going, Schella certainly wasn't going to hold them back! Okay, then, she says cheerily. How much farther is it, do you think, Boar? Her voice is unreasonably chipper, and she will continue to talk to people about anything she can think of, after a long day of being mostly silent, as she carries the back end of the stretcher. It's fairly obvious that she's trying to take people's minds off the subject at hand as she talks about food, the wedding festivities, and so on.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2008-07-23 at 01:28 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Everhayt

I don't remember how far it was, really says Everhayt, trying his best to remember anything. But it's been some time now and it's getting too dark to recognize anything.

He studies the surroundings, looking for any threat as much as for any familiar sign that tells him they are close. Everhayt chatters with Schella, letting the others take the lead. They are strong, those two he whispers. They weren't scared and protected us he says, with sincere admiration. I didn't know Gondal had fought with Gnolls before he adds, remembering how he brandished his hammer back at the ambuh.
    a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn

8. - Top - End - #98

Schella

I should have done more, Schella replies to Everhayt. I didn't know we had gnolls here. I...I wasn't ready. I'm always ready! She shakes her head. Next time, they won't catch me by surprise.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

You walk throughout the night, 'til your feet are sore and legs ache like they have never ached before, 'til the sun begins to light the eastern sky. Light dances across the tree tops, giving the illusion of the forest being on fire, red and orange in the deep blue of the failing night.

The trees begin to thin, giving way to rolling hills and dales, fertile land idea for farming, though no sign of civilized life can be seen amongst the green pastures. Though you see no sign of the residents of Willowbend, the woods come alive with the various sounds of the wild, the songs of birds and the rustle of leaves and the snapping of twigs under the feet of larger beasts.

The road gradually becomes more and more well worn, wagon tracks digging deep into the sides of road from years of use. The path slowly winds up a large hill. A flock of ravens erupt from the carcass of a deer, the victim of some other predator, at the sight your party nearing the top of the hill, a cloud of black barely visible against the deep blue sky.

Elia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear a cry in the distance.

Gondal & Donny:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear a cry in the distance, "NOLL-EEE!!!". The voice is high pitched, yet soft, probably the voice of a humanoid female. Your first encounter with a resident of Willowbend perhaps?
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Donny

Donny looks up for the first time in hours. His face is pale in the half light, eyes cupped by dark bags of skin. The eyes themselves are as fiery as the trees as they settle on the horizon.

"We're almost there."

Donny's voice cracks on the last word and his face lightens, skin deforming into a smile which feels so alien. He picks up his pace, limping slightly, sore feet protesting, catching up to the rickety hand-made stretcher. Taking hold of Elia's hand, Donny smiles almost maniacally down on her unmoving face.

"Did you hear that, Elia? There's people ahead. People and a nice soft bed for you to rest in, and no ants, I promise."
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

11. - Top - End - #101

Elia

The first feeling Elia felt as she began to come round was the pounding. Without thought she raised her hand up to her head her eyelids opening halfway the world seen through a blur. Opening her eyes full after listening to Donny for a few moments just in time to see the smile crack across his face, "Dear gods is that a smile Donny?" her own face now wearing a smile as she looked at Donny. Leaning up a little her head still pounding from the knock her skull had taken she looked around panicing a little when she couldn't recognise where they were.
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Denis

The sudden change in Elia's breathing alerts Denis to her return to consciousness as he trudges along carrying the head of the stretcher. He smiles in relief when he sees her eyes blink open at last, but his brow furrows in concern when she lifts her head and her eyes widen in alarm. "Easy, Elia. Take it easy. You took a nasty crack on the head back there - it's good to see you awake," he says soothingly. "You're gonna be okay, just relax, we've got you taken care of."

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

Donny

Donny recoils as though he has been bitten and his face reddens. He quickly recovers.

"I was just thinking about how much your hair would be worth. Probably not a lot, come to think of it. It's pretty greasy, and it's fraying at the ends. I probably won't even bother cutting it off.n Don't want to get my hands dirty."

Donny saunters back to his earlier position in the column at which point the pain and weariness from the unaccustomed exercise catches up to him. The party is then treated to a varied selection of words not fit for children as Donny starts an exaggerated limp by way of demonstrating his condition. This doesn't last long as the limp takes more energy than walking normally and Donny finds he needs his breath just to stay upright.

Kurt

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

Everhayt

Are you sure, Donny? he inquires when he hears the wizard speak. Did you hear something? the shepherd looks at the wizard with hope right before he begins cursing, which confuses him. Oh, man, I don't think I'll ever understand him. Everhayt almost said that aloud, but finally decided to just accept the eccentric wizard as he is.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Donny

"'Course I'm bl**dy sure," Donny replies, weariness and stress no doubt the only reason for his ill-tempered response. We all know how well mannered and kind Donny is, after all. "Like some d*mn woman calling for her dog. Of course, you wouldn't have heard it seeing as your ears are about as useful as a pair of door-knobs on a sheep's arse. Look roughly the same too...".

Donny's voice gradually reduces to a mutter, rendering the continued expletives thankfully inaudiable.

Kurt

16. - Top - End - #106

Elia

"Leave him alone Donny unless you want to spend the rest of the trip thinking you are a sheeps arse!" Having now gotten out of the stretcher and walking along with everyone else and of course returning to her routine of verbally jousting with Donny and occasionally flinging spells..

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Everhayt

Everhayt nods thanking Elia's defense, since Donny's reply had left him disarmed and without reply. Sheesh! I hadn't heard it, that's all... stung, he moves forward and tries to keep some distance from Donny. I don't know how Elia can stand him. he mumbles. Wonder how she'd react if we told her he seemed sincerely troubled a few minutes ago... wonder how he'd react if we reminded him how worried he was... Everhayt's speech turns into an unintelligible mumble, while he unconsciously scratches one of his "doorknob" ears.
    Last edited by elkhantar; 2008-07-28 at 03:21 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

"NOLL-EEE!!!"

A second cry echoes throughout valley, this time audible to all. As you climb to the summit of the next hill, you see to small figures searching through foliage near the edge of the path. One appears to be a male halfling wearing a green woolen cap and with a white canvas apron covering a brown tunic and trousers. The man carries a bullseye lantern in one hand and gestures excitedly at his companion with the other. A look of announce can seen on his face and his nose twitches in irritation above his large, brown mustache. The other figure appears to be a female halfling dress in a white shift and slippers. Her long, brown hair is done up hastily in a bun with a wooden stirring spoon stuck through it to keep it in place. She wields a switch in one hand, which she vigorously lashes the underbrush with, while her other hand is firmly planted on her hip. While her companion looks annoyed, the female halfling has a look about her of rage barely contained, her face quivering and her jaw set firmly. The two seem to be arguing between each other, though you are unable to make out the words that they say, and are complete unaware of your approach.
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Boar

When Elia stands and proves that she is ok to walk, Boar takes a few moments to unmake the impromptu stretcher. He also keeps the spear and bow unless anyone else claims them.

As they approach the halflings, Boar raises his voice. Alerting them to the groups presence. "Hello there! We are bound for Willow Bend, could you tell us how much farther it is?"
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

"...give it up, Didie. Its not like come to us if he hears your hollering anyways. I only have a couple of hours before I have to open the shop and I would like to get little shut eye before hand," the mustached halfling says to other through a half muffled yawn.

"Well he had better well come running. I swear, if he doesn't come running when he hears me yell I will box his ears until his head is flat on both sides."

"Oh, it is not such a terrible crime to run off for a tryst at his age, weren't you always sneaking off with that Dilly... Dilly Bumblebottum to the willow copse."

"Gimblethorpe... Dillum Gimblethorpe. And he wasn't a little harlet..."

"Obviously. More like a pudgy weasel."

"...wearing that red 'lipstick' and walking the way she does, that Bileena is real trouble."

"That just the way it works, the old will never understand the young. I'm sure our parents said the same things when we would wind flowers through our hair and..," the halfling jumps at the sound of Boar's voice, landing on his rump in the mud. Looking up at the gathered party, the little man adjust his cap. "Sorry, I didn't see you folks sneaking up on us. What was it that you wanted to know?"
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Denis

Denis moves up and offers his hand to the halfling to help him stand. "We're very sorry about that. We're on our way to Willow Bend, and my friend was just asking how much farther it was. We had some trouble along the road, you see, and some of us could use a visit to the healer there."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

"No apology needed, young master, I blame myself, and my sister, for being snuck up upon so easily," the halfling says, accepting Denis's hand and dusting himself off once regaining his feet. "Willow Bend is only around three miles down the road, I will gladly escort you to town and lead you to Yenith, our local wise woman and healer."

"Oh sure, leave your sister by herself to be eaten by wolves. I see what type of man you are, thinking nothing of my well being or that of your nephew... NOLL-EE!!!"
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

23. - Top - End - #113

Elia

"Your really don't have too, it doesn't hurt so bad. You go look for your... nephew." Elia piped up after her long uncharacteristic silence her mind obviously going over how close she had come to dying, her face now smiling despite the worried look it had carried before.

24. - Top - End - #114

Schella

While I, too, appreciate the offer, you really shouldn't leave your sister or your nephew out here alone. There are more dangerous things than wolves in these woods, I'm afraid. She gestures to Elia, and then to the other injured ones. You don't think they all just tripped and fell on the path, do you? You'd best find your nephew--Nollee?--quickly, if you ask me. He could be in danger.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Nonsense, just punch 'em in the nose and they'll run off yelping with their tails between their legs. Come along now, you don't want a stumpy legged little folk like me beating you back to town," the halfling man turns his back on the party and, thrusting his hands into his pockets, begins merrily walking back to town, relieved to get away from his sister.
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Donny

Donny glowers at the tiny retreating back, fingers flexing in remembered spell-patterns, but nothing materialises in or around them. Infact it would appear that Donny has actually managed to restrain his short temper. However certain words can be heard emerging muffled from his clenched jaws. Things along the lines of "Stupid halfling", "Pint sized pestilence" and "Incontinent inbreed" can vaguely be heard.

Kurt

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Denis

Denis addresses the halfling woman before he turns toward the town. "I'm sorry, good lady. We've been hiking since yesterday morning - straight through the night - and as you can see, some of us are injured. But as soon as we've had a chance to recuperate a little, I for one will return and help look for your Nollee." Visibly tired and leaning on his staff, he walks off toward the village behind the halfling man, Val at his heels.

28. - Top - End - #118

Schella

Resigned, Schella follows the rest as they follow Mr. Halfling, muttering under her breath about how if Nollee doesn't get found, at least she warned.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

Boar

As the group begins to move away, Boar hangs back for a moment. "Mam, if you would describe Nolle a bit, I may be able to find some tracks. I don't have the time for more right now, but I will gladly return to help you as soon as my injured friends are seen to."

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming she describes Nolle, Boar will do a quick search to find the tracks and get a general direction of travel. He will also note the spot for reference if he should return later.

Search - (1d20+6)[23]
    Survival - (1d20+10)[12]
    Dunno if you'd give a circumstance bonus for her describing Nolee?
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Boar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Oh, he's an adolescent halfling, about as tall as I am, with slightly larger feet."

A quick scan of the area doesn't reveal any new tracks other than those of your party and the two halflings already here. More then likely the woman is shooting blind in the dark in her choice to take the road instead of some other path.

"Names Corl. Your lucky that I was with Dorie, otherwise she would have you looking all up and down the river on some wild goose chase. Nolly's just off for a bit of fun with that girl of his, if you know what I mean. He'll be back soon enough, but you know how mothers always overreact to this sort of thing, I know my mother did. Anyway, she doesn't even know where to start looking. There a plenty of nooks and crannies for a little halfling to hide in about these parts. She'll just have to wait for him to come back on his own..."

Corl goes on like this, talking about his family and the halfling population of Willow Bend, for the remainder hour that it takes to get to Willow Bend. The sun has risen over the tops of the trees, bathing the landscape in a yellow sheen and glinting of the slate roofs town houses. Despite having no wall surrounding it, the road leads through a large, stone gateway, worn smooth with age and missing the massive doors that would have barred your entry ages ago. Despite the early hour, the town is already bustling. Women carry linens and soiled garments down to the river in large baskets to wash while children wander about their yards, feeding the chickens that mill about.

As you walk through the archway, a man astride a dapple gray mare rides up to greet you. The riders wears a battered breastplate over top of boiled leather and a long, dark red cloak hangs about his shoulders and over the rump of his steed. His head and face is covered a large bascinet helm with a visor sporting the image of snarling hound. The inhumanity of the rider would have gone unnoticed but for the soft, gray fur that can be seen on his exposed neck and the fact that the tips of his riding boots have been cut away, revealing a full set of black clawed toes.

Pulling up sideways in front of your path, the rider speaks low, gravelly voice, spoken with an air of authority, his hand resting on the broad sword that hangs at his side, "Who are these men and women who travel with you Corl? What is their business here?"
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr