New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: bigginers game

1. - Top - End - #211
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: bigginers game

Spoiler
    Show
    My escape artist check is worse... as it is, I'd have to roll a natural 20 to escape. Let's hope this is it: (1d20+8)[13]

2. - Top - End - #212

OrcBarbarianGuy

You will be come mush under my blows!![spoilier] attack power attack 4 (1d20+7)[18]
    damage (1d10+13)[14][spoiler]
    GENERATION 13: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

A loud shriek pierces the mansion, and the flesh creature crumples under the massive force of Odin's club. The various skins the creature was composed of split apart from one another, until there are nine or so distinct segments. The segments further start to disolve without the foul magiks keeping them together. A puff of green smoke and oily residue is all that remains now. That and the smell on Tau Pei which could uproot trees.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214

Tau Pei

Struggles to get up after surviving the attack by the thing. You've saved my life, Odin. I won't forget that. I guess I'm still hardly in any condition to fight... He pulls out a vial and drains it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Potion of Cure Moderate wounds: (2d8)[9]

5. - Top - End - #215

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone gets 800XP for the fight. If you'd all be so kind as to state how much hp you are missing, Morg will heal you. On another note, from now on, I am going to not roleplay Morg as much. He'll still be in fights, ofcourse. But I am now focusing my time as DM. The Mansion still needs to be explored and routed of any evil presence that lingers. Amongst other things, when describing an area, I will give some details, but invariably the picture I paint only seems that way in my mind. Thus, I will ask, with some frequency, "what do you see?" Within reason, the party may describe the surroundings in greater detail than what I will have laid out. This may include furnishings, environmental conditions, etc, and so on. I will try to state everything of significance that the party is supposed to see, and the new descriptions you guys give should not go against what it is I stated (A pitch black room may not have lit candles, for instance). But small pebbles strewn about the ground, the color of a table cloth, the humidity in a given room. I may give XP rewards for particularly good descriptions, in addition to exemplary roleplaying. Before anyone asks, you may not "see" a teleportaion circle leading into the abandoned treasure of an ancient gold dragon. Also, this is now my DM script.

Apart from the forbiden flesh monster's remains, the room surrounding the party is all that remains of a modest kitchen after years of neglect. A small oven with a stone furnace underneath sits in a corner near a large window. Cobwebs cover the holes intended for pots above the oven. The webs are colored the dull grey of sunbaked dust. Water drips from the ceiling onto the stove, the steady drip having casued a minor crack that pools the water. Fugitive moisture from the sunken dimple in the stone evaporates rather quickly, a salty residue surrounds the area and seems to have been the bane of scout ants a plenty. A heavy iron plate, partially rusted, though not through the whole thickness, sits on rusted hinges on the side of the furnace facing the room. In days past, this was the gate that kept the fire in check from spreading through the room, allowing for a controlled area within the stove to heat the days meals. Inspite of the rust, there appears to be what remains of a black smith's insignia on the edge of the small furnace door. The symbol is similar to the one on the wall of the local blacksmith's shop.
    The window next to the furnace shows a view of the hills and minor cliffs of the area. The flowers outside bloom from the rain of the previous nights torrent. The sunlight reflecting off of the delicate petals and moisture in the air creates dizzying patterns that dance about the long neglected flower garden. The garden itself seems to have lost any sense of order that once kept its roses and lilies in check. It is unfortunate that they could not hold their own against the weeds and grasses that pervaded the area. Asides from the bushes and flowers, a single tree stands tall amidst the anarchic back drop. Vines stemming from near the roots and following the grain of the proud maple (which, given a knowledge of indigeneous flora, was obviously of foriegn descent) attempted to live side by side with the tree , seeking spots of sunlight the canopy had not covered. Od interest, the purple-blue flowers of the kudzu vine attract the attention of various butterflys and beatles, specifically near a specific knot in the maple. The maple itself has an unseasonably dark-orange color in its leaves, in addition to the pack of wild, ravenous, brown doves assulting its branches and the butterflys.
    On the other side of the window from the stove is a small wooden structure that once held several jars (which had been reallocated to the floor following Gods above only know whatever happened to the shelving) The wood is splintered, clearly through some blunt force from above. Several tiles have fallen to the floor near the shelves, and scattered throughout the house, but it was not these tiles that could have damaged the shelves so.
    Continuing the clockwise rotation from the oven about the room leads to the entrance from which the party arrived. To their left (assuming they faced away from the entrance) are a set of decaying cabinets. These wooden relics are possibly held up by the screws as much as they are held by the cobwebs. Several of the doors have fallen off, and the tell tale clues of a rodent residence appear in them. Whatever contents this pantry may have held, they have long been converted to rat droppings (judging by the size, it would appear an initiative roll against dire rodents may be in the party's future). Beneath the cabinets, but above the floor where the lost doors of food storage had been relinquished of their potential energy, several stacks of chipped, cracked plates and rusted cutleryare neatly stuffed in all but one set of shelving, the one having spilled its contents of what is now porcelain shards after Odin's followthrough against the enemy. A small holding space in the wall beyond the cabinets is apperent, though cobwebs and even some fresh spider webs prevent further passage of light for the eye to see deeper. The newer spider webs seem to be colored the scarlet hues of blood, though still gossamer in appearence as that of normal webs. A small wooden door to the opening, of the same color as the wall, though faded into obscurity, is proped up near the hole itself, held aloft by nothing more than the force of will of the last rusted hinge still holding on. This will, however, is not something to be relied on, obviously, as the door falls off as the party simply looks at it.
    The opposite wall from the entrance to the kitchen is another opening. Like its cousin on the near wall, the opening are composed of brick work, curving to the top where a stone key holds the assembly together. The brick is cut of different lengths along the entryway, and melds into the wood that makes up the rest of the walls with a decaying coat of paint and once elaborate plastering.
    To the right of the far entryway sits a tall wooden table, spawled atop rests several rusted, warped, or cracked cooking utensils, in addition to a sink with a rusty faucet, and mold growing about the center near a small drain. Piping runs from the sink to the floor, an ultimate destination obscured by the cracked and sunbaked tile making up the kitchen.
    The view comes full circle with the oven.

The room is square with about 30 ft on each side. the only apperent exits are the entryway leading to the hallway which was initially entered in the mansion and the entryway that leads to the rest of the mansion. The initial hall way from the Door to the kitchen is about 40ft long. The hallway extends beyond the point where it connects into the kitchen to go an additional 30ft or so before curving off to the south wing. Also, in the other direction from the kitchen, the hallway extends another 50 ft, and a large room (a living room mayhaps?) connects to this extention. Asides from the hallway, kitchen, and lighthouse, the party has not explored the maner.

Spoiler
    Show
    Things that could use additional illumination from the party include the hallway, anything in the kitchen not covered, and the outdoors. I don't think a season has been set as of yet, but anything where the color of the tree should be wrong is fine. If something is not clear, just say so. I'm not exactly a master story teller.
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2008-08-02 at 08:55 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216

OrcBarbarianGuy

It was unnatural and need to be destroyed the fact that you still live is a side affect of my goal. Odin says as he looks about the remains of the skin monster seeing if he their was anything of worth that the monster may have absorbed. After he looks in th cupboards and pantry seeing if there is anything edible, noticing the large rat droppings he informs the party to be on there guard. Rats might not seem like much of a threat but the bite from one can fester be wary of them.

Spoiler
    Show
    28/37hp
    Last edited by RagnarRock; 2008-07-31 at 11:42 AM.
    GENERATION 13: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

7. - Top - End - #217

Morgainmonde

Pulls out his wand and says: All right big guy. You look to be missing quite the chunk of health.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wand of CLW: (1d8+1)[8]
    (1d8+1)[8]
    That should patch you up if I didn't roll horribly

Good, good. That'l be 60gp.
    Morg holds out his hand in waiting and, after about 20 seconds can no longer keep his face straight and says: Naw. Just messing with you.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218

Spoiler
    Show
    ::If everyone is done with healing.

Assuming the direction the party faced entering the mansion was North (ie They entered the mansion, headed east a little, and then north into the kitchen), it is time to determine where to go next. There is south wing that involves stepping south of the kitchen back onto the hallway and heading east until the hallway curves south, and a westerly inclined living room. Also, the kitchen has another entryway to the north. Where does the party go? Even if you don't want to decide on a direction, please describe the environment around you.
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2008-08-02 at 08:56 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm back. Woo!
    By the way, I'm full on HP.

Derrick

Derrick quickly analyzes the room, his eyes stopping at the tree.
    I haven't seen such a tree before. It's autumn, but the tree is still blooming, however, i looks like there's something not right about the flowers and leaves.

Inspecting the purple leaves and flowers, which glistens with an odd light, the light doesn't seem to come from somewhere, rather nowhere, Derrick suddenly seems like he's struck with a good idea.
    Morgain, don't you know a lot about trees? You should definitely see this one.

While he waits for Morgain to come over to the window, Derrick takes a closer look at the tree, noticing how the vines around it seems twisting with some kind of desire.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any descriptions given are just how Derrick sees the tree. The vines don't have to have a desire, for instance.

10. - Top - End - #220

Morgainmonde

Wakes up out of the wierdest dream and comes into focus. Ugh. I was dreaming about being able to see everything within a hundred miles of here. Birds eye view too. But I can't remember anything... Huh? What did you want? I only know a few things about subterranean mushrooms. I would ask the druids that live near here about trees. The spirit is probably out of sinc with the rest of the yard. I don't know.

Morg slips back into his odd state of slumber.

Spoiler
    Show
    No ranks in knowledge (any). But messing with details like that can be fun. Desirous vines? This is why I ask people to describe the scene. I can't come up with this level of cool stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #221

OrcBarbarianGuy

After looking at the drab and dreary surroundings and hearing the comment about the tree Odin moves towards the nearest room examining it and thinks.

I wonder if there is an axe about that I can cut down that tree with.

12. - Top - End - #222

Spoiler
    Show
    The nearest room is the previous hallway hall. (1d100)[81]

There is no axe in here.

Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223

OrcBarbarianGuy

Proceed to next nearest room.

14. - Top - End - #224

Spoiler
    Show
    The mansion isn't linearly split up into a set of rooms. The next nearest happens to be the living room. A description will come soon. I will see If I can't get you guys a soloton radar view of the mansion inside.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225

The living room, if it can still be referred to as such, is a dilapidated ruin of once luxurious sentiments. The wall paper is faded and tattered, and the exposed wood has been eaten away by mold and termites. The black spores of fungus, probably toxic to some extent, dwell ominously in the ceiling. A chandelier is still upheld to the roof, and oddly still in good shape, though the bronze (meant to yield an aura of gold at some time) has varnished. Small pebbles, surrounded on most sides with polished steel still capable of casting a reflection, sit in ornately sculpted seats scattered about the chandelier.
    Sitting on the floor of the room are several sofas and chairs, the down once entrapped to cushion the overly pampered has rebelled against its original task to furnish and rests ripped and weary on the damp, cold wooden floor.
    Several obsidian statues have been knocked to the floor from pedestals that either still stand, or were similarly strewn, though they suffer from the same carious wood rot that plagues the rest of the manor. The sculptures themselves are dilapidated beyond recognition. Many of the shattered pieces seem to bear small indentations. Chipped obsidian litters the floor around them.
    Several book cases span the east wall away from the entrance to the hallway. The only remains of the scholastic bounds is a slimy residue of digested pulp and worm carcasses. The shelves are all broken in some place and on the floor in parts and pieces. Only one still stands, though the fractures flowing over the graying grain suggest that this book case is anchored to the wall. Several book cases (wooden frames intended to provide protection from the simple elements for their guarded tomes) are rotten and festering with beetles, though one remains unscathed.
    To the north is a passage leading away from the living room, another hallway winding and twisting its way through the forsaken home. To the west and south, a slight curvature graces the wing, and the fractured debris of windows gone astray to the effects of weather or stone-tossing youths setting the stage for the years of horror and legends that surround the manor.
    Outside the windows, the sloping hills that lead to the village proper and the hamlet itself are visible. The scenic view insults the vile majesty of this haunted crypt...
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2008-08-06 at 12:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226

OrcBarbarianGuy

Seeing as the room is in such a state of disrepair Odin begins to dismantle the room. Wary of the mold he takes the statues and brings them to one corner of the room then removes the furniture to another side checking any remaining cushions for loose change. Then after a long hard look at the book shelves Odin takes any that have a nice trim or are jeweled or in any way valuable and puts it with the the obsidian statues. Finally he smashes the rotten book cases and if there is just wall behind them he tips over the final intact bookcase just for destruction sake.

17. - Top - End - #227

Spoiler
    Show
    Odin gets to make a reflex save vs. Traps. The center of the room breaks under his weight, as a sink hole develop[ed there some time ago. There is nothing valuable in the room. Even the statues are cracked and ruined to the point of worthlessness. The nobs in the statues used to hold gems, but there are none left. None of the books are worth anything, but messing with the few still standing on the last book case still erect causes the bookcase to swing open slightly, revealing a hidden chamber. Smashing the bookcase to bits sends the wood everywhere.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228

Spoiler
    Show
    Is anyone else going to take an action? Maybe explore a bit? Cast magic missles at the darkness?
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Barbarian in the Playground

Derrick

Hey Odin, what happened?

Derrick just stays and waits for Odin to answer.

20. - Top - End - #230

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    reflex save (1d20+3)[7]
    Last edited by RagnarRock; 2008-08-09 at 04:50 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231

Spoiler
    Show
    Not that rolling a 4 was going to work out anyway, but barbarians get bonuses on saves against traps. Just for future reference.

Odin falls through the cracked floor boards onto a pile of broken bones and insect carapaces. The fall was only about 10ft, and getting back up is more than easy enough. The real danger is the peculiar smell of whatever Odin fell into.

Spoiler
    Show
    In addition to the (1d6)[4] damage taken for falling, please make a fortitude save Odin.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232

OrcBarbarianGuy

Odin grunts as he lands on the in the goo below. Switching to darkvision he becoms aware of his surroundings.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[20]

23. - Top - End - #233

Spoiler
    Show
    Odin: No disease or poison for you.

The only things at the bottom of the pit are the splintered floor boads, carapaces from dead insects, and various fungi and molds that are likely the source of the rotten smell. Oh, and a Blood/Red slab of marble anout 2 ft tall and half a foot in width and depth with intricite runes etched along its face. Nothing of significance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sarchasm is fun
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234

Spoiler
    Show
    Does any do anything? Move around? Explore?
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235

:: There really was no hope after loosing the second DM. Good bye guys.
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2008-08-13 at 09:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show