Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Banned

BlackDragon

Default Re: The other half of D&D

Quote Originally Posted by insecure View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I just remembered that I could have activated Kearns crimson coat that gives him fire resistance 15.*Facepalm*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not when you were flat-footed you couldn't. See how much Init matters?

So maybe we should declare that we are moving on or something?

2. - Top - End - #182

Quote Originally Posted by insecure View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I just remembered that I could have activated Kearns crimson coat that gives him fire resistance 15.*Facepalm*
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wondered that myself. But like Frost said, better get moving. That dragon isn't going to kill himself.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm ready to move on. Also, I'll only be able to post sporadically at best over the next 4 weeks. If I'm absent for more than a few days, feel free to DMPC/NPC my character until I return.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's move on!

5. - Top - End - #185

After the party finishes it's preparations and patching themselves up after the battle, the kobold advances in front, leading the you. Sometimes it seems like he'll run away in the night, but then he glances at Kalah and cowers himself, shivering, and proceeds to again humbly guide you. The kobold warns you of several traps hidden among the darkness and how to bypass them, altough you don't see the traps themselves.

The ground starts to become more rocky and the trees scarcer, and an elevation is evident, sugesting you're geting closer to the hill. But sudenly the kobold stops. Looking fearfully at Kalah, he says in a low, almost inadiuble tone of voice.

M-Master, some more steps ahead of this and you'll arrive at my brethern's warrens. Very well h-hidden, dug underground, with many entrances and traps... They're always vigilant, day and night, with hundreds of us ready to come out at any sign of intruders. If I don't scream the pass word, they'll shoot anything that comes out of the woods, but if you appear on sight they'll probably shoot anyway.... The warrens go all around the moutain, M-Master, there's no other way around...P-Please, lay down your arms and surrender yourself to the red Wyrm, I'm sure it'll be very satisfied to acept such valorous warriors as you and your companions, Master...

By this moment the kobold is kneeling and almost licking Kalah's feets in submission. He seems completely sincere. As for what it's front on you besides the trees, you can only see what the seems like several piles of rocks in the base of the hill, too distant to make out any details. There's a fair amount of open ground between the hill and the cover of the forest where you are, wich would leave you exposed should you try to advance any further.

The kobold anxiously looks at you awaiting your reactions.

Spoiler
    Show
    In case nobody noticed, Solo got banned. Damn this campaign seems to be cursed. So let's just said his character vanished and nobody talked of him again for story purposes.

But well, gotta keep moving. Near the hill. Kobold's warning. Decide what to do. The hill is roughly 150 feet away from the end of the forest, with several strange rock formations all around it's base.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Banned

BlackDragon

Kalah speaks silently in the other's heads. Does anyone else here even need weapons? I certainly don't. If we go in disarmed and pretend to surrender, as long as we don't let them bind us, we should be able to be in peak fighting condition.

Aloud, Well I'm just going to meet him, I don't need to carve a path of blood if I don't have to... Although, blood is pretty. Anyway...

Calling out to his Xorn in Terran, he tells it to scout ahead underground, and to stay inside the stone only briefly looking out. He then gives a brief description of what the Kobold has told him.

7. - Top - End - #187

The Xorn nods and quickly sinks into the ground, disapearing from view, whitout making a sound or leaving any trace behind.

After some tense minutes, while you discuss what to do, the Xorn's head pops up from the ground and speacks to Kalah in terran.

How disgusting, those kobolds have filled that beatifull big rock with crude holes. I sensed plenty of little things moving inside those holes. When I looked out from the shaddows, I saw lots of little guys like that orange fellow you have there, and some other bigger things I really don't know what they are, but they moved all right, and seemed like they could hit hard. They have little metal however. Most of their weapons and armor are made with disgusting wood and skins. Oh, yes, and around half of the orange fellows seemed to be sleeping or resting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just to say, there are plenty of kobolds inside that hill, but not so many you don't have a good chance of defeating them should you fight well. The Xorn however never went to school, and thus really doesn't know math.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

"Can you describe the bigger individuals?", Pie interrupts.

9. - Top - End - #189

We should strike now! Half of the kobolds are sleeping. We should grab the opportunity now before it passes.

10. - Top - End - #190

Well there four of them in the nearby tunnels. They each had four limbs with claws, and a head with horns and two eyes. Plus a big tail.

Two of them were bigger than you but walked on all fours. Their bodies looked spicy, as they were made of magma. They released small puff of smoke from their mouths.
    They didn't say a word, but had big nasty looking teeths.

The other two were bigger than me but smaller than the other two, and walked in just two limbs. They also wore armor and shields. Lots of red scales covering their skin. They talked a lot to the kobolds, about fire, something called Tiamat and burning the world. One of the kobolds laughed and the scaly guy imediatily shot a ray of fire from his claws that left a nasty scar on the little fellow.

Those two seemed like the bosses inside there. The kobolds made way for them and brought them stuff all the time.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-07-08 at 03:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

"The bipedals are probably half-dragons too. I don't know what the other creatures could be.", Pie comments "I agree with Kearn, we should head on."

12. - Top - End - #192

Half dragons, Kearn mumbles. Haven't i heard something about them before? He says, mostly to himself.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (arcane): (1d20+15)[19]

13. - Top - End - #193

From his studies on the arcane arts, Kearn remembers having read about dragons. There was a chapter or two wich talked about their mysterious mating rituals, and in there it was comented that dragons were actually able to reproduce with almost any kind of living being. The resulting offspring would look most like it's nondraconic parent, but it would present several draconic features like scales and enalrged claws, and possess some arcane powers, altough the warmage doesn't remember the exact details.

14. - Top - End - #194

I can't remember much, but I know this: Half-dragons has some arcane powers, so we should prepare for that, Kearn tells the rest of the group.
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-07-20 at 01:20 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

"We should worry foremost about fire attacks. Their breath, as you have all witnessed on those spiders as well as an affinity to fire based magic I'm sure we can expect.", Pie adds.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Banned

BlackDragon

Kalah mutters under his breath, More concerned about the crossbows thank ye kindly.

Aloud, So if we aren't going to surrender ourselves can anyone make us a little harder to see before we run out to get our face stuffed with arrows?

17. - Top - End - #197

As you discuss your strategy, your eyes adapt better to the night and can get a better view of the hill.

Spoiler
    Show

Current situation, so you can choose positions before the fireworks start:

Legend:

Green thingies: trees
    light grey :rocks, around 20 feet tall
    Dark grey: aparent dungeon entrance in the hill
    brown:dificult terrain

All ground above the tree lines is considered rocky enough to use transmute rock to mud.

WARNING: Even if you can see all the principal map from your position, it doesn't mean there may not be someone or something hiding in the shadows out of your darkvision reach.

The kobold garantees there are no traps. He isn't represented in the map, but it's assumed to skulk near Kahal.

Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-07-22 at 12:50 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

I personally would never enter a hostile situation with no weapon. I apologize for any kinks this throws into the plan. I saw we proceed cautiously. With kobolds about, there are bound to be traps, despite what our little friend here may say.
    Thanks to Threeshades for the great avatar.

Access to Boards will be inconsistent for a few weeks.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Banned

BlackDragon

Alright then, Let's Go Get those suckers.

(Kalah casts Sanctuary Heightened.) (Next turn he will Teleport to someplace over the entrance).
    Last edited by Frost; 2008-07-23 at 02:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll have no internet connection from now and until the 2nd of August. Feel free to DMPC Kearn or something. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may bring, and I'm sorry that I first can say this so late.

21. - Top - End - #201

Kearn's eyes sudenly widen in the darkness.

I knew that I had something against red dragons!

He then starts to whisper the arcana formula, and small bluish flames start to sprout from his body. In some seconds, he seems like some kind of ghost, covered in a thin layer of saphire arcane fire wich doesn't seem to be hurting him.

You all feel the magic spreading trough the air trying to reach your own bodies. Those who acept it find themselves covered with small blue cold flames that run over all you, but don't hinder your actions in any way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, I'll DMNPC Kearn during this battle. I'll try to play him mostly as a suport/control character.

Currently casting fire shield, mass, cold anti fire version. The flames only iluminate as half a torch(10 feet), so they won't reveal your position unless you come really close to the enemy. If you don't want the buff, feel free to refuse it.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-07-24 at 09:17 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Banned

Beholder

After accepting the buff and Sanctuarying, Kalah Greater Teleports to above the entrance in the air at about B14.

23. - Top - End - #203

(how high?)

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

"I will return to my wild shape now. I will stay in it as long as possible. That means I cannot articulate. It would be useful to make up a simple code of communication. I will simply express my agreement by hissing once or disagreement by hissing twice. I will also rely on simple gestures every now and then. I and Pie will advance behind the rocks to the flanks of the cave entrance.", with that said Pie turns back into his dinosaurid shape and hisses and squeaks a few orders to his companion and both of them advance to the two rocks Pie previously indicated.

Spoiler
    Show
    I wildshape to Megaraptor again and order Cake to advance to H-20 and H-21

I myself will move to H-9 and H-10. We'll both try to be sneaky:
    Pie
    Hide (1d20+3)[17]
    Move silently (1d20-5)[-4]

Cake
    Hide (1d20+9)[21]
    Move silently (1d20-2)[14]

25. - Top - End - #205
    Banned

Beholder

Depends on how high the ground B14 is above the general F14 area (and the rest of that area) If everything white is relatively level, then 30ft above that level, as long as that keeps him at least 10ft above the ground at B14. He will otherwise go higher if needed.

(I am assuming that the gray is the begining of a relatively steep cliff/mountain such that it requires either climb checks or finding a specific path to ascend it.)

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uther nods to the others, draws his sword, and proceeds cautiously behind a rock in line with Pie and Cake.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to H10.
    Hide:(1d20-2)[3]
    Move Silently:(1d20-2)[12]
    Thanks to Threeshades for the great avatar.

Access to Boards will be inconsistent for a few weeks.

27. - Top - End - #207

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm back!

28. - Top - End - #208

As Kalah teleports to above the entrance, he can now see some kobolds hidden behind the rocks. Luckily none of the kobolds remembers to look above the entrance.

Uther then manages to slip trough the shadows to the cover of the big boulder, as well as Cake, but as Pie advances he slips for a moment and several rocks roll loudly, making the kobolds stand up alarmed and starting to whisper between themselves. Some of them then start to slip trough the boulder's edges to try to get a better view.
    Only Kalah is in position to stop them, as Uther, Kearn and Pie can't see them clearly.

Rashmi
    :
    Spoiler
    Show

Battle is about to start. Your position allows you to get a suprise round before anyone else. There are normal looking kobolds with crossbows in

G3 G4 G5 E9 E10 D20 D21 D22

Everybody:

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the absence. I'm in holydays so expect somewhat irregular posting from me.

Everybody roll iniative. Wait for Kalah to spend his suprise round before posting your actions.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-08-04 at 04:56 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[17]

30. - Top - End - #210
    Banned

Beholder

Kalah casts Kalah's Screaming Tentacles (Evard's Black Tentacles) at the lower left corner of E6 (so it should reach all of the three and one of the two).

Init (1d20+4)[21]