New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: When on Olympus 2.0

Siandene

Siandene looks faintly surprised at Zet's appearance, and listens with a slight smile that is barely self-conscious—and then only because of the mortals. Old age does have its advantages, and an inability to blush is one of them. She lets him snatch the strand of hair without protest.

"It is very kind of you to say so, Zetetputwrirrrrzrrro," she replies as he vanishes, the smile growing. "Unfortunately, I am afraid I must take my leave of you all now; I have a great deal to prepare for this week. Farewell, and do not quarrel." With a nod to all those gathered, both mortal and divine, she begins to walk out the temple door, wooden staff tapping lightly on the stone.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hiya mister dock chief. My name's Millia. My daddy sent me to speak with some important peoples. He's really interested in starting some human-it-ar-ian projects", the little girl cheerfully answers, "I don't know why, humans taste icky. Could you tell me how to get to the royal palace?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Changed color from magenta to plum, in the interest of ocular comfort
    Last edited by GrassyGnoll; 2008-06-20 at 05:55 PM.
    A post about nothing.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Montarius

Montarius flicked himself through the Aether with barely a thought, sending a telepathic message to the Lady to convey his apologies to the others, particularly his brother and sister, for his hasty departure... He approached the mercenary band, still invisible and intangible, and began to speak, not to to the mercenary but to the half-living thing bound within... the vestige of a creature lost from all true reality.

Rossingol the Occluded, I presume? You are in possession of a mortal's soul, bequeathed to you and but recently passed on. I need to speak with him on a matter of gravest import. If you would be so kind, release him to me for a time that I might question him, or else if you are possessed of his knowledge, perhaps you could answer my questions yourself.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Saatyun, now feeling unneeded, quickly fades out of the temple and reappears in his study. He sees another pile of work has appeared on his desk and the other piles have become slightly larger. He looks at the new pile and sees that it's composed of literature that he is supposed to critique. It was obvious that artists drew their inspiration from tragedy, but it was exhausting to read pages and pages of horrid prose. Saatyun hoped that there would never be a way for uneducated fools to spread their awful writing worldwide.

After several minutes of extremely rapid reading and editing, he switched his focus to the pile concerning internal affairs and, after reading the third scroll, realized he could solve two problems at the same time. He wrote a long letter addressed to his mother and sealed it with his sigil ring. He placed it on a tray to be sent to one of his assistants, along with a list of other things for Caine to bring with him on his trip.

The first page of the letter to his mother: The story of Caine the Devoted
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even for one of my servants, Caine is more than a little insane. In life, he wasn't a very good man, but he believed in order and was a staunch believer in your teachings. To prove his devotion to you, he had multiple marks of justice inscribed on his body, each one circular and each one seeming to connect to the previous one. As a result, his body appeared to be covered in magical chains which would punish him if he strayed too far from your teachings. His willingness to follow orders and his strong spirit caused him to quickly become an officer in the military. His wealth and power some helped him to find a wife he loved unconditionally.
    One day he found his wife in bed with another man. In anger, he killed her and the man she cheated on him with using a timber axe. Feeling that his devotion to the god of marriage had not helped his own, he feared that he had somehow angered you and wished to end it all before his wife's death caused him to be punished further. In desperation, he walked into the river in full armor while chained to a large rock. While his soul considered your realm, his suicide and belief he had offended his patron had instead landed his soul within my own realm.
    It was some time before he allowed himself to be revived and turned into one of my trusted servants. This did not heal his heart or mind and he had more marks of justice to his body, binding him instead to my teachings. He is still highly devoted to you and while I wish for Caine to be my ambassador to your realm, he feels he has offended you and wished for permission to enter.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-06-21 at 12:43 AM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing that the other deities were beginning to disperse, Turalo followed suit, vanishing in a puff of elements and arriving at the base of the large mountain within his realm. He strode forward, traveling not up the mountain, but into it. His first act upon reaching his personal caverns was to smooth out one of the walls, then change the rock itself to glistening mithral, recording the words of the augur. He then went about his usual activities, going over the event in his head as he worked.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

Upon receipt of the crystal, Kael Nog entrusted it to the care of the Taliss Ogg Rhan.
    "Zet will receive this with my blessings. It will not fall into the hands of any of his... underlings. You will not return until he has received it."
    Gesturing with a claw-like hand, he tore open a hole in the still cavern air, forming a gate to Zet's realm. Holding it open with the tiniest of efforts, he called forth the spirit of one of his deceased followers. The zealot wizard Pryn'ul, once one of the mightiest mortal practitioners of magic, appeared before him. Kael Nog whispered an order into the mad mage's mind and sent him off to work.

(OOC: Pryn'ul was a lvl 11 wizard.)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Belariso

The Kingmaker disappears in a flash of sunlight, traversing the invisible gap between the mortal world and the divine to emerge on his aerie. He sheds his mortal skin quickly: now he's an outline of sun, clad in prismatic cloth. He sets his hands behind him and strides towards his keep, then pauses as he perceives the distant sound of laughter.

My dear ladies, I hope you'll not find it rude of me to ask your presence.

The laughter stifles slowly and three women appear in a rush of air, winged and crowned and clothed in silk. They stand about Belariso in a triangle, each mirroring the motions of the others, all three apparently waiting for their lord to make the first move.

I need to speak with the whole family. Regina, if you'd be so kind as to fetch my sister and Empress, my brother--yes, I know the valkyries irk you. No, I don't care if they're blond floozies. Just go fetch him. And be kind about it.

Two very disgruntled angels disappear, leaving only the tallest of the three of them, dressed in dark pink silk. She pops an eyebrow and then gestures towards the great, white-wood keep, leading the way

We've much work to do, Czarina. If you'd be so good as to collect the rest of the retainers--Vakira, Noa, the Chancellor.

A traveler descends unto the Road: the blue-clad angel named Regina. She seems more serene without the haughty influences of the other two, humbler and happy to indulge in the simplicity of the Road.

"Siandene?"

Empress emerges from the light into the darkness: Montarius' realm, caught in eternal twilight. She approaches the hall with a measure of visible disdain, and cringes when the valkyries turn their eyes to her entrance. Montarius is away at the moment, they tell her, and she sees the whispers starting already. With as much ceremony and dignity as she can bring to bear, she takes a seat at the table and pronounces her intentions slowly:

"I'll wait."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

"Two parts done,
    Yet shall be one.

How many more
    shall be born?

I do not know
    To greed I go."

Zet appears in Saatyun's study, very chipper and happy as always to see someone so gloomy.
    "Hey, couldI borrowsomething ofyours
    He shuffles through a couple papers, looking happily dazed.
    "Almost anythingwill work,it justhas tohave someof youressence init
    He beams Saat a smile,
    "And Iwill oweyou afavor

Spoiler
    Show
    If it matters: Diplomacy (1d20+70)[73]

And finally found my divine realm, after riping off Neil Gaiman's Interworld:
    Spoiler
    Show
    From the accounts of Jay Blackbird, elven planer explorer as he traveled with the god Zetetputwrirrrrzrrro to his realm after being saved from falling through a cloud city:

We halted in mid-air and the clouds parted, leaving me standing on a violently green pathway that lead into infinity.
    My savior, the god Zetetputwrirrrrzrrro, stood on a pink strip that went parallel to mine, sometimes going over, sometimes under, which also lead to infinity, and the lack of horizon and skyline brought me to my knee's as I vomited over the side.
    Under me, as I watched my dinner fall forever, were countless geometric shapes, showing sometimes eight, sometimes four hundred and seven, sometimes one side, darting from here to there in seemingly random patterns.
    I could not tell what they were made of, though if I had to hazard a guess I would say orange, as that was what seemed to come from them, and as several floated upward passed me, I gently touch one.
    If felt like wet burlap, and gently clung to my finger.
    "Where are we?" I asked Zet as he looked into a giant eye that opened wider and wider until it ultimately came back around and blinked itself closed.
    "My realm,
    he said with half a thought, dodging a shape that came crashing into what looked like a pool of mercury at a 45 degree angle to my walkway, though it had the color of the deep sea and smelled of rosemary.
    All around us these things happened, and as I looked closely I could see that there were other figures like us in the midst of this chaos, dancing and playing in the terrible crowded emptiness.
    Just then I noticed how loud the barrage that was assaulting my senses was, the smell of fresh cut wood combining with carmel and burning hair and decay and my wife's favorite perfume and so many other things, along with sound layered upon sound, so many I swear my ears would burst after a few moments.
    Eventually the madness seemed to die down, though I felt that if I could just listen for a while I would make some sense out of the noise and learn something vastly important.
    As I watched a quicksilver tower seemed to build itself up over me and then come crashing down, only to repeat the process over again.
    "Did you make all this?" I ask my host floating several feet above my head, having a staring contest with something that resembled a crocodile made of beets.
    "I wastold notto makeanything tilla certainsomeone diedin acertain way,and Iwill notcreate untilthen
    "Can we go now?" My head was beginning to pound, and the colors were starting to taste purple and sound like g flat.
    "Certainly
    With that we left his realm, and I found myself infront of my home, holding a dozen roses and a small blue blanket.
    The cry of a newborn sounded out from inside as I heard the wind whisper "Say helloto theboy forme
    I ran inside, pondering where the nearest temple of Zet was and how much I needed a vacation.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Persi

The constable is slightly confused at Millia's speech, stumbling as he tries to ascertain the meaning of what she just said.

... er ... well, you just said ... you would be with the Erdzheni relief effort, yes? In that case, I apologise for my former lack of courtesy, milady. Follow me to the royal complex, if you will.

He snaps an odd military salute, and then smartly walks off into the town.

In the head of Xom, Persi binder

Rossignol's voice is odd, not seeming to be a voice at all, but merely part of the ambient sounds of the world. He speaks, slowly, susurrantly:

Montarius. I. Appreciate. That. You. Wish. To. Speak. With. My. Servant.

I. Would. Grant. Even. To. A. Demanding. God. The. Essence. Of. A. Servant. Should. Circumstances. Demand. Yet. There. Is. A. Complication.

Another. Seeks. Murat. Out.

How. Shall. I. Choose. Who?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

"If I give you something, will you leave me alone and never enter my realm uninvited ever again?" Saatyun asked, not bothering to hide his annoyance. Saatyun bites off a piece of fingernail and gives it to Zet. "Now go away, I don't have the time."
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-06-21 at 04:57 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hee, hee, you're silly", Millia loops her arm around the constable's, "So, what's the king like? Does he like scallops?"

In his abyss Nauphel prepared his next contrivances. Enki would require conditioning before it agreed to his terms. Out of the inky blackness the kraken lord crafted a message, one for Tradesmaster Mithen.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the safety of En-Lil, Mithen listened to the petitioning of guild masters and captains. The droning of a particularly verbose supplicant caused the Tradesmaster to slip into a brief daydream. All his unseen observer needed.

Caught in his own dreamscape, the mortal found himself in a raft amid calm waters. A welcome reprieve from his courtly duties, Mithen reclined in the boat. It was a darkening beyond his eyelids, however, that warned him of the approaching tempest. In an instant the Tradesmaster found himself tossed about on a restless sea.

Beneath a frigid shower and cresting wave the man was thrown out of his vessel. His old body could not pull itself topside let alone tell which direction it was in. After nearly a minute of frantic thrashing Mithen reached the surface. In an instant his deliverance became a damnation. The ocean's top was solid as glass. Amid the raging brine Mithen's eyes could make a figure out above him, an amorphous horror creeping above the waves.

"I appreciate your nation's dealings, Tradesmaster. In time I could even bring its dreams to fruition. Today I deliver warning, but in a moon's turn I will grant your people a tremendous gift. To deny it would doom many of your countrymen to a similar fate as this.

As quickly as it came the dream subsided. The Tradesmaster found himself back in his palace. The petitioner's buzzing continued. With all eyes on the tiresome appellant it was easier for Mithen to conceal his shaking.

Spoiler
    Show
    Some combination of Nightmare and Greater Scrying
    Last edited by GrassyGnoll; 2008-06-21 at 06:12 PM.
    A post about nothing.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Simaeous commits to memory the words of the oracle, and then turns to exit the cave.

"It would seem that the oracle has returned to the stuff she was created from, the essence of the planes themselves." he says offhandedly to nobody in particular.

Reaching the outside, he touches one of the vines, and in a moment, he seems to be absorbed into the plant and disappears.

There was something in the woods, something unnatural. It had already claimed the lives of several of the region's most prestigous monster slayers. This beast was crafty, intelligent, and extremely lethal. It had decimated a handfull of logging camps, giving the Erdzhene Tezh lumber industry a mild case of indigestion.

A quiet call had gone out from Erdzhene Tezh. Of course, they couldn't outright show its weakness by asking for aid from any of its "children", thus the need for discretion and secrecy were of the utmost paramount.

Shala had landed in Erdzhene Tezh as a representive of The People to the Erdzhene Tezh government. The People were kin to the Agiptians, but as The Council of Elders had taken a "hands off" approach, The People developed into their own "state", that while technically part of Agipt, was definitely different in its culture.

The People were eater to find a market for an exotic olive that had been discovered recently. The People and The Council of Elders were working together to secure the necessary trade contracts. Shala had been elected to be the representative of The People, as the chieftains and shamans felt that this could be an opportunity to help protect/fund their way of life and culture.

Shala had not been to Erdzhene Tezh before, but had heard of their wondrous architectural marvels. This did not interest her so much, though, as their grandios forests. She had wondered if they would have any of the same trees as the ones near her village, and how expansive these forests really were.

The Erdzhene Tezh diplomat was a shrewd and experienced man who was almost always an excellent judge of character. One look at Shala and he knew that she was just the type of "warrior" that his people needed.

Approaching her with polite conversation about her and her background, the diplomat felt comfortable eventually broaching the subject of hunting...specifically the hunting of destructive beasts.

Shala regailed the diplomat with stories from her past, passionately spinning harrowing tales of near-fatal encounters with legendary creatures that had threatened her People.

The diplomat asked if she would be agreeable to help him and his people with a problem, and explained the situation.

Expecting her to readily agree and jump at the chance, he was very surprised when Shala countered with some steep demands relating to the olive trade mission.

She was no fool, and knew that the Erdzhene Tezh relied on wood as one of the foundations of their economy, so any disruption, even minor ones, were important to "fix" and to fix quickly.

For half a day, Shala and the diplomat negotiated back and forth, proposing offer and counter-offer, until finally they reached a profitible agrement for all sides (though, truth be told, one that was more favorable to The People than to Erdzhene Tezh).

All the while, the Agiptian diplomat had been nearly speechless, so amazed and impressed he was by Shala's skill.

For five days she tracked it, following its zig-zagging trail across a vast forest. Finally, she had found its lair, a large tree that had a hollowed out den in at the base.

It was no surprise that the "creature" was attacking the logging camps: they were a concentrated source of food for it. This thing, Shala learned, was no living creature. No, it was some bizarre nauseating mound of stinking flesh that gorged itself on living creatures.

From within its den she came, whirling and twirling, her voice singing the battle chant of The People:

Down from the sky
    Into the fight
    Hearts full of rage
    Full of thunder and glory
    Swords in the wind
    Crossing the sky
    Lords of doom
    Bring an end to their story

I will send into the ground
    All that are found
    By the sign of the hammer falling
    Yes Heathens will fall
    I will strike down them all
    Then you will know my calling

Bravery calls my name
    In the sound of the wind in the night
    My sword will drink blood
    And I will fight
    Yes I will fight
    In the dawn of battle

When they see us
    they will run for their lives
    To the end they will
    pay for their lies
    Here once again
    there's a battle to fight
    Gather together for the
    sound and the might

It was an amazing challenge, for never had Shala fought such a bizarre creature. Try as it might it could not grab hold of her, and try as she might, all she could do was to "whittle" away at the foul thing.

Finally the battle was won, and the warrioress sat hard upon the ground, heaving deeply, her ample bosom rising and falling with each deep breath.

The sound of...clapping...echoed in the now quiet forest. In an instant she was on her feet, eyes scanning the surrounding woods.

"Your performance was...amazingly arousing...on so many levels, my dearest." Simaeous said as he stepped forth from within a nearby tree.

"I am happy that I please you, Simaeous." Shala replied, with a playful smile upon her lips. "Though you could have lent a hand." she chided her lover.

"But you wouldn't have worked up such a wonderful sweat, my darling Shala." he said, running a finger down her sweaty upper arm, tracing her muscles down to her fingertips. He placed his hand into hers, interlocking his fingers with hers. She shuddered slightly, his touch was intoxicating.

"Something or someone is coming, Shala."

"I hear nobody..."

"No, silly." he smiled back as he touched her cheek with his free hand. "Not now. I have received an...omen...from an oracle.

You all, you come at this time - a time of tempest.

Yet the tempests and mortal worries are not to be tempests, lest your hands unmake that which is to come.

Ancient veils that part are being rent even as the clock's hands tick by.

When you say 'it is time'; 'it will be'; 'it has been'; you know not that of which you speak - what time of day is it when there will not be?

If you value - all that is to be valued - guard well what you let through. This is essential.

The prophecy en-

And one hundred blinded eyes cannot be allowed to see - be allowed to see - be allowed to see - beeeeeee ... beeee ... be ... cannot ... see ... cannot see ... cannot see cannot see cannot see cannot see -

"Typical shaman, weaving word knots that none can untalgle." she says with disdain.

"We must be on our guard, the world may know when it has arrived sooner than even we do. Nature has a way of trying to preserve itself. We must be vigilent about reading those signs."

She nods.

"The guardians can be our eyes and ears." she says, to which Simaeous nods in agreement.

"Do you require...anything...else....lord?" she asks, a mischevious sparkle in her eye.

The god moves in closer, his hand unlocking from hers and wrapping around the small of her back, pressing her close to his body. Their lips meet in a deep, sensual, passionate embrace. In a blink, the pair is gone....

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not aproblem
    Zet grabs the clipping and puts it with Siandene's hair.
    "Say helloto Mefor me
    He fades from view, tipping feathered hat to the annoyed god.

------------------

"Hey?"
    "Yea."
    "Why are we all walking?"
    "Because your to stupid to fly on your own, and your feathers smell."
    "No, I mean why are we doing all of this in the first place?"
    "Because it's easier to live with him than not live at all.
    *hand gesture*
    "Just shut up you demon born water-spawn."

------------------

A small Zet watches the pair from atop a knot of wood, frowning at the injustice of it all.
    "Damn, Inever getany
    He kicks at a piece of bark.
    "I amthe godof freakingsong anddance, youwould thinkI wouldget itmore thanonce adecade
    Mini-Zet tips back and kicks out his feet, pulling his top hat over his eyes.
    "And whatis thedeal withall mykids I wouldthink thatI wouldshoot alot moreblanks thanthat
    The whirlwind gently strokes his chin, pondering.
    "Though, sincechaos seemsto workin apaticular way,would thatmean thatuntil Inext havethis conversationwith myself,I willnot sireanymore children
    He sighs and fades away again, putting Simaeous at the bottom of his list.
    Last edited by wadledo; 2008-06-22 at 09:22 PM.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Page two of Saatyun's very long letter to his mother:
    Spoiler
    Show
    By the way, have you seen my favorite quill pen? It's dark red, ten inches long, and radiates a destructive aura stronger than that of a pit devil. I already have a replacement and I don't mind if it gets into mortal hands, but I want you to be on the lookout for it. It's a very good pen and it's enchanted to give its user ideas and advice on writing. In the hands of one of my followers or myself it works perfectly fine, but when anyone else uses it, things happen which disrupt the peace. The first time a mortal used it he became a rather good writer, achieving fame and fortune. A few months later he started locking himself in his house spending days writing at a time. He started becoming obsessed with writing, using the walls as parchment, and his own blood and excrement as ink. He eventually died of exhaustion after spending a week writing without eating, sleeping or drinking. This happened to be the sanest reaction out of the twelve I've discovered so far. The mortician stole the quill and [the following three paragraphs have been censored for the well-being of human minds and stomachs] aren't even sure where he managed to get enough skin. I had been keeping the pen on my person ever since, but I appear to have lost it again. The last time I remember using it was three weeks ago. I'm sure it will turn up eventually.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-06-22 at 09:35 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Montarius

The god pondered for a moment, choosing his words with care I do not demand this of you... I but ask. To give the information or not to do so is, of course, your perogative. However, can you tell me what claim this other has to the soul, or to the information it posseses? I ask as part of my appointed task, and perhaps for the fate of the world itself, not for my own satisfaction. His soul belongs to you, for such was his choice, and I do not dispute your claim. I need only to question it, or to access information he held.
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2008-06-22 at 09:22 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Velia wastes no more time at the gathering. Without a word, to mortal or immortal, she summons her gate and steps through to her realm, the doors closing rapidly behind her. She appears two steps from her throne, and seats herself on it before happening to glance at the Millia plushie guarding the gate to Paradise. She looks inquisitively over to Darsha, who bows.

"Goddess, I am afraid the Guardian of Paradise is... out to lunch, shall we say. With a distinguished gentlemen caller."

Velia simply smiles.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

"S-Sephy?"

The Brachina seems taken aback by the new pet name, but seems to recover reasonably quickly.

"Er... well, no my Lord, I'm afraid I'm not much for games when you're not around. Why not let Paradise inspire you?" She gestures to the doors that can be seen appearing and disappearing in the fields. "Open one, and see what it is you desire..."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Nauki's head tilts slowly to one side. He then nods, grinning and running over to a random door! He places his hand on the nob, then turns, opening it to find... "Oooh! i know this game!" Well, of course he would. "Yeah, this game is fun. They play it in Bastion..." He produces a wooden board from the door, laying it down on the floor. He then pulls out game pieces; ebony and ivory, carved in several different shapes. "It's... meant to represent war or something? You get these pieces that're supposed to be wizards and soldiers and stuff, and you put them on the board..." And off Nauki goes, explaining the rules to a game that's oddly similar to chess...

Meanwhile, the Milli-plush looks up at Velia. She tilts her head to one side, then holds up a sign: "Hello. Can you tell Nauki to give me a mouth some time please?"
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

With a shattering rumble and a burst of foul-smelling vapors, Kael Nog emerged from the earth between Montarius and Rossignol.
    I crave a word, Rossignol.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

In the head of Xom, Persi binder

The spiral of words that represent Rossignol's incarnate nature expands slightly, as if to acknowledge the presence of Kael.

Montarius. Your. 'Other'. Is. Here.

Also. You. Seek. To. Question?

Occlusion. Is. My. Nature.

But. Even. Nature. Can. Be. Overriden.

What? Could? Murat's? Life? Be? Worth? To? You?

Outside the Persi Royal Palace (OK, it's a hut)

The constable walks up to the door of one of the largest of the wooden buildings - it's simple, but nonetheless bears a more refined look to it. A pair of greatcoated labourers are hauling a huge metallically-clanking crate labelled 'food' next to the entrance. The officer bows smartly to Millia.

While those of noble blood are ever welcome here, I must see the king first on an urgent matter. I apologise for the inclement whether; would you wish that I brought out some furs, for your comfort?

Spoiler
    Show
    OoC - Damn, I've been losing tons of posts today.
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2008-06-23 at 04:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Belariso

The Kingmaker sits at council with no one in particular, alone save for Czarina. The angel sighs lightly as she speaks with a voice like an echoed whisper:

"Neither of my sisters have found either hide nor hair of your own kin."

Belariso shrugs as the shadowed form of the Chancellor glides into the room and sets itself at his master's side, as groomed as ever.

Keep the lantern out, Belariso says simply as he stands and offers his chair to the Chancellor. The shadow takes it with all the indications of polite society and settles stiffly into place.
    If they're busy then I intend to be as well.

A sound like knocking, soft and tuned, rose in Velia's chamber. Beside her nearest servant--presumably, Darsha--there appears a great piece of handsome parchment, linen threaded throughout with gold.

If you'd be so kind as to grant me a brief audience, the letter said, inked in bright, glossy black letters, inhumanly curved, I'd ask your audience.

-Belariso

The parchment hangs midair, spinning slowly, and the knocking ceases after three swift sounds.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

A gate opens within Velia's realm. Out of it walks Caine, one of Saatyun's favored servants. He is clad in full armor but carries a white flag in his left hand. He turns towards the gate, walks backwards while still staring at the gate while a horse-drawn carriage and two wagons move through it.

Caine turns again and moves a few feet away from his entourage. Being here is making him rather nervous, it was his master's request that he be here, so he did not allow himself to show an ounce of fear. He plants the flag firmly in the ground and shouts his greeting. "I am Caine, devoted servant of Lord Saatyun! I am here to conduct two pieces of important business. First I am to deliver a letter and some valuable cargo to my master's mother, Queen Velia the Fair. Then I am to speak to Darsha Nightshadow, the keeper of the Abyss." Caine quickly realized that he would have preferred to do the tasks in the opposite order.

-----

In a room at an inn in Ithiel, a man in white armor is washing his face as he prepares to rest. He has had a busy day, even having to stop a fight from breaking out in the middle of the tavern. He takes off his ring and places it on a string to tie around his neck. While he trusted the inn's owner, he didn't trust the other residents. He closes his eyes to rest, unaware of the plans the Lord of Tears has in store for him.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-06-23 at 04:52 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Montarius

Still speaking to the vestige, Montarius nodded.

Yes... that is the mark of thinking creatures, that choice can override nature. Choice, as always, is key. It is not Murat's life that I seek - That was his own, and he spent it as was his choice. But there are questions he left unanswered regarding recent events that may hold information of importance. I wish to question him concerning said events.

As for giving... are you asking a price in return for your cooperation?

He turned his gaze to his fellow divinity, giving a small not of recognition.

Kael Nog. What do you seek from the binder's shade?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

"No thanks, mister. Daddy always said patience was a virtue."

Hands dutifully folded, Millia waited for the constable to seek his audience. Once the man had left she reached up her left sleeve. "Mr. Cups you can come out now" she addressed her armpit. A second later she procured the tiny blue octopus familiar.

"Sorry Mr. Cups but there won't be salt water for a while, go tell daddy I've arrived. Oh, and some Erdzheni are here. Ask him not to hurt them too bad."

With a touch Mr. Cups was sent on his planar journey. Millia prepared for her meeting, both courteously and magically.

Spoiler
    Show
    Plane Shift Mr. Cups to Nauphel's realm. Mind Blank and Disguise Self to prepare for the audience. Disguise Self to smooth over any scales and re-humanize hair and teeth.
    A post about nothing.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Velia stares bemusedly at the plushie.

"That all depends on how well you guard that gate..."

She is interrupted by the knocking and the parchment, the contents of which Darsha dutifully reads to her. As she is about to stand to leave, she is interrupted yet again by Caine's arrival. She listens to his shouted greeting, her eyes locked in a piercing gaze on him the entire time. Naturally, she recognizes him instantly, even without the aid of Saatyun's letter.

"Welcome Caine, devoted servant of my son. Your delivery will have to wait - I must leave briefly on business. Conduct your business with the Guardian of the Abyss while you wait, but I expect you to complete your delivery to me personally, do I make myself clear?"

Without waiting for an answer, she summons her gate and wordlessly enters Belariso's realm. Darsha, for his part, grins wolishly at Caine.

"You smell nervous..."

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Sephriel nods as the rules are explained to her. She seats herself delicately on one side of the board, flattening her wings against her back. Once inside Paradise, she seems a much more gentle personality, and much less like, well... a devil. She gestures to Nauki from across the board.

"First move belongs to the most handsome player..."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Nauki slowly tilts his head to one side. "Handsome? Darn, I wish Millia would say that some time..." He grins a little bashfully, as he moves his hand forward to pick up a piece, and then place it back down again on another square. "I like how you act here, Sephy. Much friendlier than when you're at the gate. I should take you to my Garden some time to see how it affects you..." Ever the curious one.

Speaking of Gardens! Silenna is currently hovering in the Garden, reading a book much too large for her. It's hovering in the air, suspended by some unseen force.

No, she's not reading anything important. I just wanted to show you that Nauki does in fact have a Herald. She just doesn't have much to do.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Xom's cranial cavity

The vestige is ruffled slightly by Montarius, its pride stung by some implied rebuke.

The. Reason. That. I. Desire. An. Exchange. Is. The. Same. One. That. Gives. Me. The. Binder's. Soul.

Not. All. Are. Beholden. To. Gods. Certainly. Not. Those. Who. Predate. Them.

Persi

After a short while, the constable ducks his head around the door, and ushers Millia in.

The king's chamber is little more than a glorified storeroom, full of odds and ends. The king himself stands by a map, unfurled upon a crate - he is fastidiously (although he cannot hide a certain anxiety and worry) moving tiny bone-chip pieces about it, and is watched intently by pair who you cannot place, but most certainly are not Persi - their skin, clothing, and ornamentation tells you that much. As she enters the room, he hurriedly straightens, seeking to hide the map, while the two flanking him merely smirk at his lack of etiquette.

So, which noble presence graces us this day, hmm?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Montarius

Montarius sighed inwardly a bit. The creature was proving rather touchy. I did not mean that you had no right to ask for a price. I was simply trying to inquire what you would want in exchange.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Caine breathes a sigh of relief. He then walks over to the carriage and whispers a few words to its passengers before approaching Darsha. "If I am nervous, it is only because of your master. I wish to know how much you have organized the torture of the abyss's inhabitants. Have you heard of liquid agony?"

=====

Do not read if you are easily offended by gore. Well, it's not that gory, but don't say I didn't warn you:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In a village in En-Lil, Saatyun's herald is at work. Two weeks ago, she had been told that a resident had started a cult devoted to her master. Upon examination she found that this man was little more than a death-worshiper, believing Saatyun's teachings would lead to the end of the world. One week ago he was warned, and told to stop. Now he had to be punished.
    The herald knocked the blasphemer unconscious and cut out his tongue. She decided the most fitting punishment was to nail him to his church. Dragging the body there, she then shoved a nail in each of his hands, feet, and eyes. He soon regained consciousness, but could not speak without a tongue and was too frightened to scream. The herald then drained his blood into a basin and wrote the reasons for his punishment on the side of the church using the blood as ink. Once the writing dried, she put the man out of his mercy by driving the longest nail she had through the man's heart. As a final touch, she carved her master's symbol on the Blasphemer's chest using a flenser. Satisfied with a job well done, she returned to her master's realm.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-06-24 at 05:37 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Knowledge. Montarius. It. Is. What. I. Do.

What. Secrets. Are. You. Party. To?

The. Abstraction. Of. Them. Would. Indebt. Me. To. You.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

"Millia Tennison, your majesty," the little lady answers mid curtsy, "My father, Albert Tennison, sent me to talk with you of matters nautical and commercial. He also asked if you would have me as a ward, for the mutual education of myself and any children you may have."

Nauphel would applaud her cleverness at that last fib, she'd have to tell him about it.

"I don't want to disturb your guests, though. I'll wait until we can be alone."

An ocean away the Mariner's Rime emerges. Only Montfort and Vernes dare stay on deck as it lunges above the waves. The captain is ecstatic at the news. In his tenure as admiral he's only been given free reign twice. He's vowed to enjoy the scourging as most he can.

"Divine us a course, Montfort. Make fer the nearest Bastion cog at no less than 5 knots. Call up a tempest if ye must."
    A post about nothing.